Prepurchasing from stores?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

Ok, I know this was discussed a lot (particularly a while ago), but I can’t seem to find a topic on it when I search and, due to my schedule, I don’t have the time to look through something like that for 20-30 minutes to find it, so I’m making a topic here. Sorry if this has been answered a million times already.

Can I pre-purchase from a store other than the buygw2 website?

The reason I want to know is because I have gamers unlocked with best buy which means I always get 20% off video games there and I’d like to be able to save my $10-12 anytime I buy a new fully priced game (the savings add up over the years, trust me).

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

There is a list of official retailers from which you can pre-purchase Heart of Thorns.

You can find the list here. Just make sure to select whichever country you are in for that link. Buying from any retailers that aren’t on Anet’s official list can be risky, but will sometimes be legitimate.

Posted by: Reviera.5183

Reviera.5183

Gamestop has it too(also is called EB games) Ima get mines from there.

Brother Dulfite.5793

There is a list of official retailers from which you can pre-purchase Heart of Thorns.

You can find the list here. Just make sure to select whichever country you are in for that link.

Ugh, Best buy isn’t on that list. So basically I either save money by buying from Best Buy and lose out on pre purchase rewards or lose more money by buying from gamestop?

Brother Dulfite.5793

Gamestop has it too(also is called EB games) Ima get mines from there.

Gamestop doesn’t have any sort of discount program for new games. They give you points for buying stuff, and discounts on used games, but not on new games like Best Buy.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can purchase HoT from retailers. There is a list of authorized retailers in the Knowledge Base accessed via the ‘Support’ link above/below.

Be sure to ask about their refund policy, if any, and be double sure they are offering a Pre-purchase version, rather than a Pre-order version to be eligible for the pre-purchase bonus items.

Good luck.

Zalladi.4652

Ugh, Best buy isn’t on that list. So basically I either save money by buying from Best Buy and lose out on pre purchase rewards or lose more money by buying from gamestop?

Unfortunately, that will be the most likely outcome. You can of course regularly check Gamestop to see if they put any flash discounts on it. I know AmazonUK had one distributor that sold Heart of Thorns at a great discount and was legitimate.

Reviera.5183

game stop if you have a rewards card system on your name, you can pretty mych buy it for the air you breathe.

its 50 in Gamestop aka EB games(usually found in EU countries or border states of the US) however if you have points already invested in Gamestop/EBgames you can just cut the price off by however many points you have and DL and print the voucher. so for a good example, 15000 rewards points is 10 dollars off of “ANY” purchase.
25000 is 20 dollars off. in otherwords cheap cheap for the win.

Brother Dulfite.5793

Unfortunately, that will be the most likely outcome. You can of course regularly check Gamestop to see if they put any flash discounts on it. I know AmazonUK had one distributor that sold Heart of Thorns at a great discount and was legitimate.

I just don’t understand why a massive chain like Best Buy isn’t on that list? I mean, it’s not like Anet is going to lose money from the sale (I’m sure that would be out of Best Buy’s cut of the game).

Brother Dulfite.5793

game stop if you have a rewards card system on your name, you can pretty mych buy it for the air you breathe.

its 50 in Gamestop aka EB games(usually found in EU countries or border states of the US) however if you have points already invested in Gamestop/EBgames you can just cut the price off by however many points you have and DL and print the voucher. so for a good example, 15000 rewards points is 10 dollars off of “ANY” purchase.
25000 is 20 dollars off. in otherwords cheap cheap for the win.

Lol Gamestop’s point system is a joke (I’ve been a member of it for years and years, and I’ve bought probably 80% of my games from them until I got best buy unlocked). It takes YEARS of buying stuff before you get points that are actually worth anything of value. With Best Buy, I paid $30 for 2-3 years (can’t remember) of 20% off new games. I’ve already made back the $30 in savings and it hasn’t been even 6 months yet, probably. Best Buy has a far, far better program than Gamestop.

Reviera.5183

yes that’s how the marketing works, Anet gets maybe 50-70% of the money used to buy the game. that’s why they sell more then just one product XD

Not really Dulfite, XD 25000 points is an easy number to get. you just happen to be a casual costumer.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I just don’t understand why a massive chain like Best Buy isn’t on that list? I mean, it’s not like Anet is going to lose money from the sale (I’m sure that would be out of Best Buy’s cut of the game).

Probably just couldn’t come to an agreement, it happens in business. Just because a store has high exposure doesn’t mean NCsoft is going to bend over backwards to accommodate that store’s terms if they demand too much.

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

I feel like Anet is scaling back on hard copy distribution.
That official retailer list is crazy small, and some major countries entirely left out. (There are no retailers in Canada for Guild Wars 2 anymore, for example. It’s not even on the dropdown list).

Dragonbrand

Brother Dulfite.5793

yes that’s how the marketing works, Anet gets maybe 50-70% of the money used to buy the game. that’s why they sell more then just one product XD

Not really Dulfite, XD 25000 points is an easy number to get. you just happen to be a casual costumer.

I’m telling you, you WILL save more money going with Best Buy.

25,000 points is $25 savings right?
So 30,000 points gets you $30 then, if I remember correctly? Which is the same amount Best Buy costs for you to get 2 years of savings.

Here are the last two purchases I made from Gamestop:
6/5/2015 Sales Transaction 660

6/5/2015 Sales Transaction 840

Here are the point calculators on their website:
10 points per dollar spent on all new games and consoles
20 points per dollar spent on pre-owned games, accessories and consoles
20 points per dollar on traded-in games or consoles

Taking that into consideration, if I bought a $60 game, I’d get 600 points (at the least, not sure if the tax amount causes the points to increase or not) per brand new game purchased. Used ones give you more points but they also cost a lot less and have varying prices, so let’s just focus on the new games. How many games would you have to buy to get 30,000 points?

50 brand new games (a total cost of roughly $3,000). That number even shocked me when I calculated it. In fact, I thought I did it wrong so I did it again again. Maybe I’m tired and am doing something wrong, but 10 points per $ and it’s $60 a game so that’s 600 points. And it takes 30,000 points to get $30 off, so 30,000 divided by 600 is 50 so it takes 50 games at $60 to get 30,000 points, which cost (50 × 60) $3,000.

Continuing on, how much do I spend at Best buy in order to get 20% off? $30 dollars.

20% per game (at $60 a game) is $12 saved per game bought. I have to buy a total of 3 brand new games to get my savings back, and an additional 3 to get the $30 off (12×3).
So all in all I only have to spend $288 dollars at best buy to get the same savings I’d get at Gamestop if I spent $3,000 there.

Now, tell me that isn’t a MASSIVE difference?

Reviera.5183

hm did you even read? 25k is 20bucks off. anyways this whole thing is offtopic.

fact is best buy wont sell you the game at a lower retail price. not even if you can say you payed squat for a game in gamestop, show them the price you payed in game stop and they wont just say "oh ok we can mach that, heres your free game.

XD you payed $3000 in gamestop? then you should be able to pay ziltch for what 50 or more copies of HoT. what are you on about then? its a rewards system mook, not a give me my shazz now system.

Best buy no offence has really crappy service. they don’t sell you a new game on retail for cheaper. they sell it for retail.

gamestop hasn’t a choice but to follow its own rules. bring in a voucher, new or old game dun matter, thay HAVE to drop the price of what you are meant to pay with the discount voucher.

(edited by Reviera.5183)

Brother Dulfite.5793

hm did you even read? 25k is 20bucks off. anyways this whole thing is offtopic.

fact is best buy wont sell you the game at a lower retail price. not even if you can say you payed squat for a game in gamestop, show them the price you payed in game stop and they wont just say "oh ok we can mach that, heres your free game.

XD you payed $3000 in gamestop? then you should be able to pay ziltch for what 50 or more copies of HoT. what are you on about then? its a rewards system mook, not a give me my shazz now system.

Best buy no offence has really crappy service. they don’t sell you a new game on retail for cheaper. they sell it for retail.

gamestop hasn’t a choice but to follow its own rules. bring in a voucher, new or old game dun matter, thay HAVE to drop the price of what you are meant to pay with the discount voucher.

LOL, Best buy sells me for $12 less for every single brand new game I buy (if it’s $60, different amount for different prices). This is a fact, you can’t contradict it. $12 less for NEW games is far better than any deal Gamestop ever has (and I’ve used their deals for years, so I’m speaking from experience).

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

it is a shame that in the USA Anet one is using game stop which is not that great by any means . if they went with another one like amazon it would give a more better and easy way to get this game. since from what i get there will be no disc,s at all coming with this game at all . so we in the USA are stuck with our choice of game stop or the gem store. not sure how that works out for thos wanting a second account. maybe after the game comes out Anet will let amazon sell it too

Reviera.5183

um amazon does sell it. from what a lot of ppl told me they sell it cheap. not sure if that’s at all accurate but its what a lot of ppl have said and bought from.

Zalladi.4652

it is a shame that in the USA Anet one is using game stop which is not that great by any means . if they went with another one like amazon it would give a more better and easy way to get this game. since from what i get there will be no disc,s at all coming with this game at all . so we in the USA are stuck with our choice of game stop or the gem store. not sure how that works out for thos wanting a second account. maybe after the game comes out Anet will let amazon sell it too

Both AmazonUS and AmazonUK sell Heart of Thorns for pre-purchase, only that the former is a digital serial code and the latter is a box with the code on a pamphlet.

ham.8209

Both AmazonUS and AmazonUK sell Heart of Thorns for pre-purchase, only that the former is a digital serial code and the latter is a box with the code on a pamphlet.

i see but the Amazon Us with the digital serial code i tend to think Anet says that is not legal for some stupid reason . but it would be nice to have another choice with getting this game then getting it from game stop down load,s which with game stop downloads for me is very pain full .

Zalladi.4652

i see but the Amazon Us with the digital serial code i tend to think Anet says that is not legal for some stupid reason .

Where did you read that?

From the retailer list page for the United States, if you click on the “Digital Download” tab next to “Retailer Locations”, AmazonUS is listed as an official distributor of Heart of Thorns for ArenaNet.

Reviera.5183

who says its not legal? the codes not being hacked to mass distribute, its not even copyright infringement. they havnt claimed to be Anet, nor the host of companies that work with or for Anet. XD just another person selling off things they find useful to others. if you ask me, Anet is too stuffy. fact is the property the person bought is theirs, they can do whatever they see fit with it, be it sell it off, or keep it.

ham.8209

who says its not legal? the codes not being hacked to mass distribute, its not even copyright infringement. they havnt claimed to be Anet, nor the host of companies that work with or for Anet. XD just another person selling off things they find useful to others. if you ask me, Anet is too stuffy. fact is the property the person bought is theirs, they can do whatever they see fit with it, be it sell it off, or keep it.

agreed on that fully thus so in the mean time with not being able to get the game from amazon its self in the USA. needless to say iam stuck with getting it from here on the gem store . and in the mean time wait for it to go on sale some time and get a second account . or just buy more toon slot,s from the gem store.

Zalladi.4652

agreed on that fully thus so in the mean time with not being able to get the game from amazon its self in the USA. needless to say iam stuck with getting it from here on the gem store . and in the mean time wait for it to go on sale some time and get a second account . or just buy more toon slot,s from the gem store.

You can’t purchase the expansion in the gem store, only the Deluxe upgrade to the standard edition of the expansion.

Or did you mean the GW2 website store?

Reviera.5183

its the GW2 webstore, to be honest I cant tell the 2 apart aside from the product being sold, it all requires deh money!

ham.8209

You can’t purchase the expansion in the gem store, only the Deluxe upgrade to the standard edition of the expansion.

Or did you mean the GW2 website store?

i meant the web store .

Reviera.5183

well its either buy the game digitally, or wait till it comes out and people will sell it via amazon and other places.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

i see but the Amazon Us with the digital serial code i tend to think Anet says that is not legal for some stupid reason . but it would be nice to have another choice with getting this game then getting it from game stop down load,s which with game stop downloads for me is very pain full .

Amazon US is an authorized seller for the expansion. I live in the US, and I just bought the expansion from Amazon yesterday and entered my code onto my account. So if you want to buy the game other than from guildwars2 website or Gamestop, you can buy the expansion from Amazon because they are in fact an authorized seller and is on the list on this site as an authorized seller for the expansion.