Proof that land spears are coming for HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

So I just saw this interview, and I just want to highlight one thing from it: look at Colin’s shirt, it’s a charr wielding a shield and a SPEAR!

Now, we just need to know one thing: is it the revenant, is it the warrior or is it the guardian? Is it the Paragon specialization?
Is it a new revenant base weapon or is it for a specialization for one of the heavies?

Now you might ask: “but hey they said nothing about new weapon types coming to the game in the PAX presentation (I am aware of under-water spears)?”
And then I will reply: “they also did not mention any details for the specializations coming to a majority of the classes”.
I think that is what we see right here people, and it will be a surprise only time can unfold.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

There have been multiple interviews in which Colin stated that no new weapons are coming.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

That’s a sword

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

the question then becomes, are land spears a different weapon than water spears?

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

While spears may one day make an appearance in a future GW2 release … HoT will not be that release.
Until Someone of Authority from Anet comes and makes an official definitive statement to the contrary, do not expect spears in game for anything other than water combat.

Moldur.6275

There have been multiple interviews in which Colin stated that no new weapons are coming.

What if I told you: they are already in the game. Under water. When Colin talks about no new weapons coming to the game, he is being completely honest, he do not lie. But, he do preserve the secret until they are comfortable with revealing it.
You see if you look at the facts, making under-water spears available on land will do just that. It won’t be different as to rangers getting staffs. It will be an amphibian of a current, not a new weapon.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Lol well go ahead and make yourself disappointed, I won’t stop you.

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

the question then becomes, are land spears a different weapon than water spears?

Clearly.

Are land sharks different from water sharks?

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Unfortunately, there was an interview with Colin, where he stated that there were not going to be any new weapons, and it is just the artists going nuts.

IMHO, Colin should have stopped them. As a Game Director, he already knew that having polearms in the trailer will hype people up, and why he chose to go with it regardless, I have no idea.

Feeding false information only agitates the player base.

Don’t do it. Ever Again.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

have you seen the amount of spears spread through the art for season 2 and HoT?

if those aren’t proof, then i’m pretty sure a charr holding a sword isn’t either :P

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

Yeah most evidence points to that “spear” being some weird unintentional troll by the art team. Really hope the people who did that got hell for it.

I don’t even think it was some weird use of the Staff as a physical weapon (no other class uses it that way, why would that change?), more likely a Hammer skin give the longer length of it, not to mention the bashing animation.

Posted by: feight.2704

feight.2704

Really, so much effort and ressources would be put just into trolling?
Animations, Models in Living story trailer and HoT trailer, key appearances with spear on shirt, what else?
they arent new weapons, and they are comming to HoT. thats my bet.
well, i hope so…. intense trol if not the case.

Kal Spiro.9745

IT’S A SWORD
That’s not a spear. That isn’t even a new shirt, it’s a very old design. It’s a Charr Warrior holding a sword.

It is also not a spear in the trailer. It’s a staff. Just because no other class has used a staff for melee in no way removes it’s ability to be made as a melee weapon for a new class.

It also wasn’t an intentional troll. Artists are artists, they do art.

They’re not coming. We’ve already been told, no new weapons, and water weapons aren’t being converted. No spears.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

feight.2704

so you impale people with staves now…
when did they said that about water weapons? that would actually close the debate.

Moldur.6275

I still think the strongest evidence is this mysterious character, (E?!), we see in the ep 8 cinematic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRRfS9Gp0xQ&t=1m16s
standing on top of a ledge, watching the pact fleet shattering into pieces, while wielding a spear. And it is a lot of npcs in that cinematic and the following easter egg one who are using spears I mean come on guys those are major hints, sure if they had spears hung up on some weapon racks that wouldn’t be such a big deal, but this time they are used for combat, and not only once.

(edited by Moldur.6275)

Moldur.6275

and water weapons aren’t being converted. No spears.

I am really curious aswell, please provide a link that supports your argument.

BrunoBRS.5178

no, YOU provide support to your claim. he’s claiming things won’t change. you’re the one theorizing, so the burden of evidence is on you.

Kal Spiro.9745

no, YOU provide support to your claim. he’s claiming things won’t change. you’re the one theorizing, so the burden of evidence is on you.

That’s harsh, but I don’t have access to the link at the moment anyway, so I have no evidence. If that means you’ll cling to things that aren’t going to happen, and therefore be even more disappointed in the future, due to your faith, I’m not really all that broken up about it.

feight.2704

extensive observation pointed to that fact and has been discussed in depth in other threads, But there Presence in many trailers, theirs link to gw1 and the fact that underwater combat is pretty much dead are proof enough no?
at least, proof that it one of the think that could be expected as they have not yet been completely falsified.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yes, they have said no new weapons. Technically speaking, spears are not “new” weapons. They exist already. They just only exist for water. They could very well surprise us and make them land based weapons and still meet the criteria of ‘no new weapons.’

I’m not too worried about it either way. But it’d be really cool if I could wield a spear and a shield on my ranger again at some point.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

BrunoBRS.5178

That’s harsh, but I don’t have access to the link at the moment anyway, so I have no evidence. If that means you’ll cling to things that aren’t going to happen, and therefore be even more disappointed in the future, due to your faith, I’m not really all that broken up about it.

it’s just annoying that people pull theories out of thin air and expect the people that don’t believe them to “prove them wrong”, when they can’t prove they’re right in the first place.

keyword being prove.

Kal Spiro.9745

Yes, they have said no new weapons. Technically speaking, spears are not “new” weapons. They exist already. They just only exist for water. They could very well surprise us and make them land based weapons and still meet the criteria of ‘no new weapons.’

I’m not too worried about it either way. But it’d be really cool if I could wield a spear and a shield on my ranger again at some point.

The problem with that is that spears are two handed weapons. It would actually have to become a new weapon for them to make it one handed so you could maintain an offhand.

feight.2704

some are faithful the same way you are skeptical. if you want to be objective about it , you will see that there has been an effort to include spears in the artwork leading to HoT reLease. Unwittingly or not. its enough reason to speculate. and the very fact that they havent specifically denied it allows faith to grow even more! hence , my name , Lol

Kal Spiro.9745

some are faithful the same way you are skeptical. if you want to be objective about it , you will see that there has been an effort to include spears in the artwork leading to HoT reLease. Unwittingly or not. its enough reason to speculate. and the very fact that they havent specifically denied it allows faith to grow even more! hence , my name , Lol

For which there has also been a statement that they were told not to but did anyway.

I’d rather this not get into an argument about accepting things based on pure speculation vs accepting things based on tangible facts, you know religion vs science.

It easier to accept a thing with clear evidence. Wanting a thing to be true isn’t good enough. I would love for it to be true. I’ve said so a bunch of times. I just have no reason to believe it will be true, and nothing provided has changed that. Especially when the biggest piece of evidence that spurred this thread into being is the OP’s inability to differentiate a sword from a spear.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

“We talked polearms. No polearms in this expansion. Colin said “We warned the art team what the community would think when they saw the trailer, but they chose to make things the way they did.” It looks like a polearm but it is not. No word if they ever will be."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2tsiox/pax_afterparty_lessons_learned/

Sorry, no polearms/land spears in HoT.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

. Especially when the biggest piece of evidence that spurred this thread into being is the OP’s inability to differentiate a sword from a spear.

Thats the oddest looking sword ive seen, it even looks like theirs a pole sticking out behind the charrs body… Im not saying it is a spear, but its the oddest looking sword ive ever seen.

“We talked polearms. No polearms in this expansion. Colin said “We warned the art team what the community would think when they saw the trailer, but they chose to make things the way they did.” It looks like a polearm but it is not. No word if they ever will be."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2tsiox/pax_afterparty_lessons_learned/

Sorry, no polearms/land spears in HoT.

Finally someone posts something factual! Thank you so much!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

feight.2704

Well that some well needed information.
thx for the Clear update on that.

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

. Especially when the biggest piece of evidence that spurred this thread into being is the OP’s inability to differentiate a sword from a spear.

Thats the oddest looking sword ive seen, it even looks like theirs a pole sticking out behind the charrs body… Im not saying it is a spear, but its the oddest looking sword ive ever seen.

Polesword? XD

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

They said no new weapons, but spear is already in game.
They said no polearms, but the language officially used in game is “spear”. Yes spears are a type of polearms, but you can bring into question why Colin would specifically use a word by which spears are never referred to, and are not recognized as in GW2 at all.

Furthermore, we got this information from a semi-formal, off the cuffs interview from an after party. Anyone who was around during GW2 pre-launch (or any other game for that matter) knows that that’s not the greatest source of information. It’s not officially reviewed information released by the company, and is subject to things like misphrasing, misunderstanding, misquoting, lack of context, etc. It wouldn’t be the first time information from such an interview ended up being wrong.

All in all, I think the chances that we get land-spears in HoT is really low at this point. But the chance does still exists.

feight.2704

They said no polearms, but the language officially used in game is “spear”. Yes spears are a type of polearms, but you can bring into question why Colin would specifically use a word by which spears are never referred to, and are not recognized as in GW2 at all.

Furthermore, we got this information from a semi-formal, off the cuffs interview from an after party. Anyone who was around during GW2 pre-launch (or any other game for that matter) knows that that’s not the greatest source of information. It’s not officially reviewed information released by the company, and is subject to things like misphrasing, misunderstanding, misquoting, lack of context, etc. It wouldn’t be the first time information from such an interview ended up being wrong.

All in all, I think the chances that we get land-spears in HoT is really low at this point. But the chance does still exists.

thats really the only sensible way to look at it, i agree.

Moldur.6275

Yes. Also people just google “polearm”. That is a 2h halberd-like weapon, it is not the ranged weapon we see in the underwater spear.

And for those who stated earlier that Colin warned the art team of having spears in the cinematic: BP, I think the Game Director has the authority to cancel that if it was not an intended hint.

BrunoBRS.5178

Yes. Also people just google “polearm”. That is a 2h halberd-like weapon, it is not the ranged weapon we see in the underwater spear.

And for those who stated earlier that Colin warned the art team of having spears in the cinematic: BP, I think the Game Director has the authority to cancel that if it was not an intended hint.

my spear is melee, because i’m not a guardian :|

and spears are a sub-category of polearms. polearms are literaly arms (weapons) on a pole. it’s in the name.

Posted by: Zee.1294

Zee.1294

So let say there is no spears in HoT…..Well then ..what the warrior will get…a scepter, a dagger , a torch…..what? ….are you kidding me ..what a waste of opportunity …i just want to know….WHY NOT ? what is the reason ? …… To match work ?….You already spend the time to make new skills Net guys …so again…WHY NOT ? ….Bare in mind Spear is in the game so no new skins needed ……..

Viggen ( SF ) warrior – JQ
Want some…..come get some !

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Looks more like concept art from Guild Wars 1.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Wait, did the art team troll Colin’s shirt too?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Incidentally – since you can SEE the haft of the spear above the shield where it extends past the charr’s back and comes back into view, that’s very definitely not a sword in that art.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Kal Spiro.9745

That isn’t a haft, it’s just a line. Not only is it coming out at a different angle it’s curved. It is not representative of anything except the art style that ANet artists have always used. The sword handle does not go beyond the hand holding it. It’s not a long shafted sword, it’s not a spear, it’s just an ordinary sword.

Don’t watch it in the tiny embedded video. Open it in YouTube, expand it to full screen and look at it objectively. It’s not a spear.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I did. It’s a spear, not a random line.

maybe this will help:

Attachments:

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Those artists are such trolls… I think the devs should give them what they want, though. It’s perplexing how polearms can be all over the art for the game, and still not make it into the game, especially considering how diverse and omnipresent they were in the earlier history of our world.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

(edited by Cecilia.5179)

Moldur.6275

That isn’t a haft, it’s just a line. Not only is it coming out at a different angle it’s curved. It is not representative of anything except the art style that ANet artists have always used. The sword handle does not go beyond the hand holding it. It’s not a long shafted sword, it’s not a spear, it’s just an ordinary sword.

Don’t watch it in the tiny embedded video. Open it in YouTube, expand it to full screen and look at it objectively. It’s not a spear.

If you look at the video in 1080p, and take into considerating that it is a T-shirt, we can conclude two things:
1. T-shirts with prints are usually made with one colour on the fabric and then another on the print. Here we can see how Colin has a black T-shirt with white print. The result is that there is two available colours: black and white, no noticeable shades. So when the print are given depth, they varies black and white to create shades. That is exactly what we are seeing here with the “bent” end of the spear-shaft. Where the bend starts, the white spear receives a black bowing overlay to provide visual depth. Ending T-shirt essay and moving on.
2. —> It is most likely a spear.

Now I am not saying that acts as confirmation for my speculation, but I do conclude it to be in the topics favour.

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

Polearms are already in game. Or maybe I should say ONE polearm. Check Rytlock’s office.

Arewn.2368

and spears are a sub-category of polearms. polearms are literaly arms (weapons) on a pole. it’s in the name.

Staves and hammers are polearms too. It’s hard to identify the thing he was talking about as a spear when he didn’t reference what is referred to as a spear, as a spear.

BrunoBRS.5178

Staves and hammers are polearms too. It’s hard to identify the thing he was talking about as a spear when he didn’t reference what is referred to as a spear, as a spear.

i think he’d have been more clear if he meant “nope, no halberds and glaives, but don’t worry, spears are coming”. but let’s keep on dreaming that he didn’t announce it, and that when specifically asked about it (after insisting that they announced everything major), he was accidentally coy and mis-worded his statement in a way that is vague enough to draw the conclusion that spears are coming.

because that makes more sense than “sorry guys, no polearms” means “no spears either”.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve had that tshirt for several years now. Back when GW2 was getting started I really wanted GW2 shirts to replace my set of WoW shirts (hurray for SwagDog and their custom shirts with my game name and guild logo on them). I scoured the web and found none. The closest I got was this tshirt, which has “Guild Wars” printed on the left sleeve, the charr on front, and a row of skulls across the back hem.

I’ve just taken a couple of pictures of it but must wait for them to get google-mailed to me before I can post them. Even emailing a pic from my tablet to myself seems to take 10-15 minutes, dunno why. I’ll add them once I have them, as I could not find the shirt’s image online; either my Google searchkittenhas failed or it’s just not out there any more.

It really does look like a sword, though there is a thin white line behind the charr’s head that could vaguely maybe be a haft.

Arewn.2368

i think he’d have been more clear if he meant “nope, no halberds and glaives, but don’t worry, spears are coming”. but let’s keep on dreaming that he didn’t announce it, and that when specifically asked about it (after insisting that they announced everything major), he was accidentally coy and mis-worded his statement in a way that is vague enough to draw the conclusion that spears are coming.

because that makes more sense than “sorry guys, no polearms” means “no spears either”.

Like I said, I think the chances spears are coming are incredibly slim. I’d put my money on the weapon from the trailer being an environmental weapons, a Revenant ability, or a weird hammer skin.
But an unofficial statement by a dev from an after-party that doesn’t even properly refer to the spear isn’t exactly solid confirmation that spears are a no-go.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

That’s a sword.

Agreed, what I saw was a sword.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

What if I told you: they are already in the game. Under water. When Colin talks about no new weapons coming to the game, he is being completely honest, he do not lie. But, he do preserve the secret until they are comfortable with revealing it.
You see if you look at the facts, making under-water spears available on land will do just that. It won’t be different as to rangers getting staffs. It will be an amphibian of a current, not a new weapon.

He said no new weapons, no land spears, no polearms. So no, they aren’t bringing it on land.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

While I do not believe we will be getting land spears in this game, I do recall seeing something while poking around in Rytlock’s office. Mind you, I think it’s always been there, but still…

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Spears aren’t new. So technically they can be land weapons because they aren’t new.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

BrunoBRS.5178

While I do not believe we will be getting land spears in this game, I do recall seeing something while poking around in Rytlock’s office. Mind you, I think it’s always been there, but still…

it was there since launch.

oh well, i give up on this thread. some people are in denial about spears much like others are in denial about tengu not coming.