Rev Staff - Please let it be high DPS!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

@Zenith Not everything in GW2 is about dungeons if it was I would have uninstall a long time ago. It’s like saying condition mesmers are not a thing, GvG staff guardians are extinct, bunker guard never existed don’t be so narrow minded.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Cylokin.2560

Cylokin.2560

Since it’s based around support, the odds are it won’t be high DPS. That would make it quite OP.

Yup. There is another weapon set more focused around ‘High" DPS, but can’t talk about that yet.

I hope you realize by saying that you’ve condemened it to disuse in any serious PvE content.

I think we’ve been through this for the past 2.5 years, but you guys don’t seem to understand why nobody stacks healing power in PvE and even with those traits they still won’t.

A damage output loss of that magnitude only increases fight duration that much more, which means more damage output from the boss that far exceeds what little benefit you gained in healing power by sacrificing DPS.

I mean, have you learned nothing from guardian staff and mesmer staff in PvE? Nobody uses them for a reason.

Pve isn’t the only game type. new class needs to be fully balanced within all three formats. Your examples need some work as well. Plenty of players use guardian staff in pve and while it’s true that few use Mesmer staff for anything, that’s because it’s bad for everything, not because it’s full support.

Ok, let me correct. No good guardian that isn’t asking to be kicked from a speed run uses staff in PvE because an elementalist or warrior can already might stack for the group without messing up their damage output. Bad guardians use staff in PvE.

And if your idea for balancing across game formats is making a bunch of weapons which are useless in one of the formats, the design needs reconsideration.

Both Mesmer and Guardian Staff weapons are brilliant in sPvP, WvW etc, so please don’t use corner stacking excuse of a dungeons as an example how weapon is useful.

And like someone already said, they are revamping the PvE, so your corner stacking max dps spamming might not be so viable in upcoming content.

(edited by Cylokin.2560)

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

Since it’s based around support, the odds are it won’t be high DPS. That would make it quite OP.

Yup. There is another weapon set more focused around ‘High" DPS, but can’t talk about that yet.

I hope you realize by saying that you’ve condemened it to disuse in any serious PvE content.

I think we’ve been through this for the past 2.5 years, but you guys don’t seem to understand why nobody stacks healing power in PvE and even with those traits they still won’t.

A damage output loss of that magnitude only increases fight duration that much more, which means more damage output from the boss that far exceeds what little benefit you gained in healing power by sacrificing DPS.

I mean, have you learned nothing from guardian staff and mesmer staff in PvE? Nobody uses them for a reason.

Pve isn’t the only game type. new class needs to be fully balanced within all three formats. Your examples need some work as well. Plenty of players use guardian staff in pve and while it’s true that few use Mesmer staff for anything, that’s because it’s bad for everything, not because it’s full support.

Ok, let me correct. No good guardian that isn’t asking to be kicked from a speed run uses staff in PvE because an elementalist or warrior can already might stack for the group without messing up their damage output. Bad guardians use staff in PvE.

And if your idea for balancing across game formats is making a bunch of weapons which are useless in one of the formats, the design needs reconsideration.

Both Mesmer and Guardian Staff weapons are brilliant in sPvP, WvW etc, so please don’t use corner stacking excuse of a dungeons as an example how weapon is useful.

And like someone already said, they are revamping the PvE, so your corner stacking max dps spamming might not be so viable in upcoming content.

Its funny… B.c I cant remember that last Time we actually needed Corner stacking lol. most “speed” groups no days dont even use corners, it takes to long for the mobs to run to them, its faster to run out in the open and just AoE mob them down, if need to, a Guard or Mesmer will pull them together.

SAB or RIOT

Cylokin.2560

Its funny… B.c I cant remember that last Time we actually needed Corner stacking lol. most “speed” groups no days dont even use corners, it takes to long for the mobs to run to them, its faster to run out in the open and just AoE mob them down, if need to, a Guard or Mesmer will pull them together.

Call it whatever you want, the “stack, dps burst spam” point is the same.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Yeah, because killing weakling NPC camps or dolyaks, or standing around beating at some inanimate door or wall or zerging spamming 1/AOE for bags around is so much more skillful or thoughtful game format.

Your smug self importance is adorable.

Faux.1937

Yeah, because killing weakling NPC camps or dolyaks, or standing around beating at some inanimate door or wall or zerging spamming 1/AOE for bags around is so much more skillful or thoughtful game format.

This made me laugh so hard XD

SAB or RIOT

Cylokin.2560

What really is adorable is the fact that you think you know what you are talking about there.
I only pvp in WvW, not killing doors, zerg or whatever you do.

It’s really sad that ppl still think that Guardian Staff is only useful as loot stick, I thought we were past that narrow thinking, but I guess not.

(edited by Cylokin.2560)

Zenith.7301

What really is adorable is the fact that you think you know what you are talking about there.
I only pvp in WvW, not killing doors, zerg or whatever you do.

Yeah, “pvp”. Also known as zerging. Must be so hard to spam aoe and pressing 1 on the melee train.

Really taxing on your brain I bet. Every time you go buy your skillful condi duration/reduction food and killing uplevels explains your superb ability and achievements.

Roaming and ganking clueless people surely is worthy of praise in favor of actually queing against people ranked of similar skills in spvp tourneys. Not that I expect to see you as a tourney champ for all that big talk you bring.

Want more pats on your back pvp guy?

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Cylokin.2560

Already said I never zerg but I guess I have to repeat several times for you to understand. Oh well, if you only see “zerg gameplay” when mentioned WvW that’s really your problem I guess.

Zenith.7301

I guess roaming is a word empty of meaning too, if we are to take your superficial reading habits as an example. I suspected reading past a small, short first paragraph would be much to ask of someone who spends so much of their time giving undue significance to their preferred format of play over others.

Posted by: Tobias Steele.2071

Tobias Steele.2071

… while it’s true that few use Mesmer staff for anything, that’s because it’s bad for everything, not because it’s full support.

Completely false statement that’s needing correction.

The big thing with Revenants is the lack of weapon swap and we’re all speculating on things we don’t full know yet. Just based off of what I’ve seen so far, Revenants are going to play many different roles but Ventari is going to be their healing support with minor CC.

I’m not exactly sure why people want strange weapon combinations to be the DPS setup and it’s safe to say that sword/x will be it.

Please feel free to correct it then.

Entropy, Class lead Necromancer.
Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

… while it’s true that few use Mesmer staff for anything, that’s because it’s bad for everything, not because it’s full support.

The big thing with Revenants is the lack of weapon swap and we’re all speculating on things we don’t full know yet. Just based off of what I’ve seen so far, Revenants are going to play many different roles but Ventari is going to be their healing support with minor CC.

I’m not exactly sure why people want strange weapon combinations to be the DPS setup and it’s safe to say that sword/x will be it.

You haven’t played Mesmer I take it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer will give you all the answers you need about using staff in PvP and how extremely useful it is.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: Tobias Steele.2071

Tobias Steele.2071

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer will give you all the answers you need about using staff in PvP and how extremely useful it is.

You may be correct about it being moderately useful in one format, but linking the mesmer forums with a condescending attitude doesnt inspire much confidence in your arguments favour.

I play mesmer a lot, and I stand by what I said. Imho Its likely the worst mesmer weapon across all formats, and the worst implementation of a staff weapon so far

Entropy, Class lead Necromancer.
Tarnished Coast.

(edited by Tobias Steele.2071)

Zenith.7301

You may be correct about it being moderately useful in one format, but linking the mesmer forums with a condescending attitude doesnt inspire much confidence in your arguments favour.

I play mesmer a lot, and I stand by what I said. Imho Its likely the worst mesmer weapon across all formats, and the worst implementation of a staff weapon so far

Worst mesmer weapon award goes to the scepter, not the staff. But mesmer staff is not that far behind in how terrible it is (and both are terrible for the same reason, awful base autoattack damage and crappy projectile speed).

Mesmer staff however is the worst of all staff implementations in the game, no doubt about that.

You won’t find much in mesmer forums since by now they’re just there for threads on roaming/dueling in WvW.

staff/greatsword see some use in spvp but that’s mostly for the staff blink tricks, not the staff’s offensive or supportive capacity.

And in spvp staff/greatsword is especially weak to s/d thieves so sword/torch+greatsword have taken over it.

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

Worst mesmer weapon award goes to the scepter, not the staff. But mesmer staff is not that far behind in how terrible it is (and both are terrible for the same reason, awful base autoattack damage and crappy projectile speed).

Mesmer staff however is the worst of all staff implementations in the game, no doubt about that.

You won’t find much in mesmer forums since by now they’re just there for threads on roaming/dueling in WvW.

staff/greatsword see some use in spvp but that’s mostly for the staff blink tricks, not the staff’s offensive or supportive capacity.

And in spvp staff/greatsword is especially weak to s/d thieves so sword/torch+greatsword have taken over it.

All the mean people who only play power builds. Sigh. Everything but the first sentence is wrong in your paragraph. Its like people only do dungeon pve content on power builds from the pre-HoT dungeon meta.

The only place where staff is bad is pve, and that is only if you are on a power build.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

(edited by Daniel Handler.4816)

Posted by: DocZed.6973

DocZed.6973

Someone hasn’t played a condi-mesmer decked out for burning.

All 9 classes leveled and geared to 80!
Remnants of Hope [HOPE]: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

My worst fears confirmed:
Revenant legends are effectively just Elementalist attunements.

Jallys = Earth (tanky)
Mallyx = Fire (with extra condi)
Ventari = Water (support/healing)
(next legend) = Air (dps)

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

Posted by: Sneakier.9460

Sneakier.9460

My worst fears confirmed:
Revenant legends are effectively just Elementalist attunements.

Jallys = Earth (tanky)
Mallyx = Fire (with extra condi)
Ventari = Water (support/healing)
(next legend) = Air (dps)

Mallyx =/= Fire

Jallys is tanky/support
Ventari is Healy/support
Mallyx is condition/support
Shiro will most likely going to be dps

And Glint will be elite specialization, why?
Glint just died and makes total lore sense that we are invoking the lastest legend to help us fight the dragon jus like the guardian in on cruzade on dragons (dragon hunter)

Gunnars Hold= Tuga Land

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

If i get 1g per person who saying that Glint will be a elite spec (it wont be) ill become rich.

Cant w8 for reveal for their jaws to drop and naturally for load of mails ingame with 1g.

obey me

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Full support weapon is fine in PvE, heck I use Guardian staff. However, without weapon swapping this means it will get next to no use. My Guardian staff is coupled with the hammer and I only switch to staff for swiftness and some might stacks (with healing) then quickly switch back. The Revenant won’t be able to do this. I’ve said it before, I was all for no weapon swapping at first, but when I see these types of weapons I see it is going to be a major issue. I’d surely take staff as a secondary weapon, but not my only weapon.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Suggestion, Swap Surge of the Mists (skill 5) for Warding Rift (skill 3).

1. AoE Blind spam ability is way too good and needs a longer cooldown but also a longer range aka (here).
2. Adds some needed mobility (CC escape with 600 range) to Staff (reduce cooldown to 10s reduce energy cost to 10).

Punishing Sweep cast time is way too long. A 3/4s attack that is suppose to interrupt an attack in order to get the second ability should be 1/4s cast time at most (it should be instacast time with follow up animation as necessary).

Otherwise, it’ll be oh, let me interrupt your 1/2s attack … wait … let me interrupt your, hmm. This feels like luck. Oh wait, we actually do have this ability Debilitating Slam. Nerf Debilitating Slam if the effect is too good (hint, it isn’t especially considering the energy/cast time to damage cost). As is, it will feel way too clunky to use.

(edited by Artaz.3819)

Faux.1937

Shiro full story is one of my favorites (Pawala Joko is my fave then Shiro).

A amazing Body Guard manipulated and mentally torture into devastating Evil power enough so to even harden the Sea over!

SAB or RIOT

Artaz.3819

If i get 1g per person who saying that Glint will be a elite spec (it wont be) ill become rich.

Cant w8 for reveal for their jaws to drop and naturally for load of mails ingame with 1g.

And what will you give everyone else when you are wrong???

Don’t look – SPOILERS - you have been warned

skowcia.8257

And to this day im asking.. Why only revenant elite spec would be found in dat files? Where are reaper, chromomancer, dragonhunter skills?!

And whats about that myth with Ventari being elite spec?
If elite legend was datamined, what weapon it has then? Shield? Mesmer already got shield.

obey me

Artaz.3819

And to this day im asking.. Why only revenant elite spec would be found in dat files? Where are reaper, chromomancer, dragonhunter skills?!

If elite legend was datamined, what weapon it has then? Shield? Mesmer already got shield.

1. ? .dat files contain all that info. Since ANet has shown it in LiveStream with actual in game footage, why would you want to see the data?

2. ALL of Revenant datamined is the Elite spec. Revenant is HoT only. You are confusing class expansion content from HoT from the core base-game classes with an idea that Revenant is a core base-game class (it isn’t). The weapons we know to exist (subject to changes – just like the Staff skill changes recently) are Mace (Main hand), Axe (Off hand), Hammer, Staff and not released yet Weapons:Sword Main hand, Sword Off hand (was Dagger), Shield (Offhand), Harpoon

skowcia.8257

1. ? .dat files contain all that info. Since ANet has shown it in LiveStream with actual in game footage, why would you want to see the data?

2. ALL of Revenant datamined is the Elite spec. Revenant is HoT only. You are confusing class expansion content from HoT from the core base-game classes with an idea that Revenant is a core base-game class (it isn’t). The weapons we know to exist (subject to changes – just like the Staff skill changes recently) are Mace (Main hand), Axe (Off hand), Hammer, Staff and not released yet Weapons:Sword Main hand, Sword Off hand (was Dagger), Shield (Offhand), Harpoon

1. Cause im sure that if revenant elite spec was datamined, others would be as well by now. But they are not. We dont even have access to spec already showed in the stream, why revenant spec would be datamined at this point?

2. I know pretty well what was datamined and im asking where is that mighty weapon for elite spec cause its obvious shield wont be one of them nor sword offhand/dagger as it fits Shiro theme. I cant imagine sword/shield Shiro on a next reveal, and you?

We also have another problem. Assuming youre right base revenant will end up with 12!!! utility skills and 4 utility types. Thats laughable compared to 5 types of utility and 20 skills from current base classes. Which means either base revenant wont be finished at launch or he will end being kitten over for good. In case if base revenant is not finished, how come their elite spec can be?

Another thing is that revenant will lack one role
Mallyx = condi
Shiro = dps, probably also mobility
Jalis = tank
Ventari = support

Whats about cc? Are you telling me that revenant is a guardian 2.0 with a bit better access to conditions? Lets also take a look at some old quote

Unfortunately, I can’t yet. Quite a bit of info will be coming soon™ though. Sooner then you may think.

Hello, Roy. I’ve always wanted to invest in a heavy armored profession, but I dislike non-magical classes (Warrior), and Guardian is stricly too defensive for me (I’m more into professions that offer a higher diversity of damage and/ or control builds). Is the Revenant for me? :P

It sounds like you’ll enjoy the Revenant, but you’ll have to try it and let me know what you think.

How Diogo can enjoy playing revenant if he lacks control builds?

obey me