[SUGGESTION] Design a Weapon/Armor Contest

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

Since the new expansion is still under development i figured this would be a perfect opportunity to suggest a contest to design a weapon or a set of armor the way ANET did back in 2007 for GW1 for the Eye of the North expansion.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Design-a-Weapon_%282007%29 if interested in some of the stuff that players have made

Why?
I think this would be a great way to get some of the brilliant artists that are already part of our community to write their name in the history books of GW2.
If you look at the items created in the original contest they are by far some of the coolest and most sought after items in the original game.
The players in this wonderful community have some amazing talent… dont believe me.. hop in the community creations section of the forums and look at some of the commissions in there if you haven’t already.

This was more of a post for anet to consider but i want to see everyone else’s opinions. IF ANET did decide to do a contest like this… would you guys be willing or interested?

Posted by: catsunami.8437

catsunami.8437

Yes! I agree! I doodle lots of GW weapons (sets often), and would love an opportunity to show this stuff off.

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

That would be neat.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

Yes! I agree! I doodle lots of GW weapons (sets often), and would love an opportunity to show this stuff off.

I’d love to see some, throw a pic in or 2 if you have it

Posted by: Tranassa.4968

Tranassa.4968

Was already suggested about 2 years ago and pbly 10.000 times since then.

I like the idea, but nothing will happen!

I’m playing on EU
Automated Tournaments!

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

I really would love that!

Posted by: Abdulaziz.1496

Abdulaziz.1496

I don’t care about that.
I WANT THIS, PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN!
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/berserk/images/7/76/DragonslayerWield.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121224151805
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/e77d943f79b419f19c4747eb0017d8a71231260414_full.jpg

THIS IS THE MOST kitten GS EVER! AND IT’S CALLED THE DRAGON SLAYER, LET’S SLAY MORDY WITH IT!
I’d sell my house to buy this skin

Posted by: Jiyu.8310

Jiyu.8310

I really like the idea and anet has some good systems in place to implement skins based on designs from their playerbase (collections, tying item progression to iteractions in the world (like skillpoints), and even mystic forge recipes).
You could take the idea even further and have the people do the design also create the journey people would go on to aquire them, or hold a contest after the design contest where people can design the journeys for the skins Anet picks to be realized in game.

Sitting on a weapon design I just finished so a contest that would let me submit it to Anet would be awesome.

Kranox – More Guns Than Roses [GnR]

Posted by: dadoppelny.7945

dadoppelny.7945

Yes, yes, yes! Why don’t they do this any longer?
This is a great way to encorporate people into the game in a unique way!

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

Designing armor would be awesome. I’d take most of the armor we have now, cut off the skirt/coat, and watch as the votes start pouring in.

Also, I’d bring back armor like this:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/7/7d/Warrior_Kurzick_armor_m.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/b/b9/Elementalist_Sunspear_armor_m.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/a/ad/Monk_Tyrian_armor_m.jpg

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Posted by: Baktwerel.9108

Baktwerel.9108

ALL OF MY YES!!!
As a fellow artist I’ve been actually waiting for ANET to announce something like this for years, alas nothing so far. It would be really awesome if they held armor and weapon designing contests (perhaps with different categories like weapon set, armor set for all races/armor classes, individual weapons, individual armor etc.), I’d take part in all of them and flood them with my designs! Crossing my fingers for some devs to find this topic and at least consider the idea.

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

Bump, this deserves attention!

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

I’ve seen a few threads on this pop up but never with any responses from Anet. This would definitely be a great source of creativity as far as design and input from the players in terms of voting on designs.

If this does happen, I just don’t want to see all the skins end up as outfits =p

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

I don’t care about that.
I WANT THIS, PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN!
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/berserk/images/7/76/DragonslayerWield.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121224151805
http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/e77d943f79b419f19c4747eb0017d8a71231260414_full.jpg

THIS IS THE MOST kitten GS EVER! AND IT’S CALLED THE DRAGON SLAYER, LET’S SLAY MORDY WITH IT!
I’d sell my house to buy this skin

ugly, oversized greatsword skins is pretty much the last thing we need more of.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

I think the design a weapon contest worked extremely well last time and it did foster some sort of community involvement. The weapons designed were amazing and some are still used in GW2 while others are sorely missed and should return in their own right (Check out Emerald Blade from Guild Wars 1).

If it ever was put in, I would love for these skins to be obtainable as weapons in game, the ticket sets are probably holding weapons back because you have to wait for an entire set to be signed off before one weapon gets released, the Chaos set is a prime example of where originally the Chaos Axe became a set, thus we probably waited longer because we had to wait for the set to be designed etc. It would also truly suck if unique weapon skins ended up only released on the gem store or via tickets (which is primarily gemstore).

What would be good in general for implementing any skins from such a contest is not waiting for a set and maybe putting them in world boss chests or crafting etc. We don’t have to have an entire set.

(edited by Pyriel.4370)

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

I would LOVE for this to happen. Although I like several, individual armor pieces in GW2, it seems like they took everything people liked about GW1 armor and started creating the exact opposite…

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Was already suggested about 2 years ago and pbly 10.000 times since then.

I like the idea, but nothing will happen!

Maybe if we bring it up enough?

Yes, yes, yes! Why don’t they do this any longer?
This is a great way to encorporate people into the game in a unique way!

Agreed.

videoboy.4162

This is important and should stay on page one.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

i agree, while I still liked the Storm bow a bit more than the Dryad Bow, that dryad bow was my go to #2 bow, I loved the look of that thing!

videoboy.4162

Some of the best weapons in GW1 came from a contest like this. I’m hoping we get some more sophisticated light armor out of this one (well, if we get to have one).

Posted by: Ossyrana.1637

Ossyrana.1637

Since the new expansion is still under development i figured this would be a perfect opportunity to suggest a contest to design a weapon or a set of armor the way ANET did back in 2007 for GW1 for the Eye of the North expansion.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Design-a-Weapon_%282007%29 if interested in some of the stuff that players have made

Why?
I think this would be a great way to get some of the brilliant artists that are already part of our community to write their name in the history books of GW2.
If you look at the items created in the original contest they are by far some of the coolest and most sought after items in the original game.
The players in this wonderful community have some amazing talent… dont believe me.. hop in the community creations section of the forums and look at some of the commissions in there if you haven’t already.

This was more of a post for anet to consider but i want to see everyone else’s opinions. IF ANET did decide to do a contest like this… would you guys be willing or interested?

Ooooooh I would love even simply a gw2 site where everyone can throw in their ideations for weapons and armors (or even race make-over appearances too) that the community can vote on and anet can choose as many as they’d like to include (that way it’s not just one winner and if there are a lot of really spectacular designs, it doesn’t have to be a “one or the other” choice nor be limited at all really). Sometimes I almost just wanna work for anet and be one of their artists lol so that there’s more promise my imagination can add to the game heehee, buuuuut no matter, xD I think it’d be AWESOME to also do a contest and bring back some gw1 weaponry – and if so I really hope that the Storm Daggers come back!!! I actually never played gw1 (still SO very tempted to play it because of the Lore! but there’s just a few things holding me back like how you can only be human, cannot swim, and the graphics aren’t as good). But I looked at the winners in the link you posted and just fell in love with those daggers, my goodness! :O The intricate engravings along the emerald blade and its elegant shape and tassels… <3 Mmm…just lovely

Attachments:

Posted by: Ossyrana.1637

Ossyrana.1637

ALL OF MY YES!!!
As a fellow artist I’ve been actually waiting for ANET to announce something like this for years, alas nothing so far. It would be really awesome if they held armor and weapon designing contests (perhaps with different categories like weapon set, armor set for all races/armor classes, individual weapons, individual armor etc.), I’d take part in all of them and flood them with my designs! Crossing my fingers for some devs to find this topic and at least consider the idea.

Hi fellow Artiste! Same here! And in the latest email from gw2 about this year’s Wintersday, there was a section saying how we could design merchandise and even get paid commissions…then I discovered it was for “real life” products rather than “gem store” skins :’( I was very sad and disappointed ;_; lol <3

http://www.welovefine.com/feature/guild-wars-2-fan-forge-info.html

crossing fingers for us artists out there who want to take part in the creations of Tyria!

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Design an armor that is actually practical and very great looking? I’m all for this. I’m okay with robes for light armors, but some of them.. the designs make no sense. Same with heavy and medium, medium has the worst of it- it’s mostly coats and unless you’re standing still entirely, you’d want something short and flexible (not scantily) More practical armors. Armor’s that actually look great on both Charr and Asura.
More charr and asura based armors/outfits.

Weapons? For a legendary I want ocean related weapons. When you swing, it has a wave effect and foottrail is coral growing.

For normal weapons, I’d like to see more animal skull related ones. Much like the Great Capra. More practical quivers.. Not ones that are on fire or bladed.
How about shields that aren’t bare and plain looking on the gripping side? But an actual area that looks like a grip? (I get it would take redesign to have your character actually grip the shield but the shield grip doesn’t HAVE to be bare.)

Greatswords with straps. Noone can possibly carry a greatsword on their back without trouble. You needed something (like a dolyak) or someone else (like a squire) To help handle the heavy weapons. So what about adding straps (or making a strapped backpiece to fit GS skins) or more practical GS sizes? These are jsut my design ideas and most of these I literally just came up with so it’s rambly.