Seriously Anet, Do You Hate Us That Much?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Videles.6759

Videles.6759

I think most are missing the point of the OP. The mobs are overtuned for more casual players, most likely not for us or depending on character you use. On my warrior they where though on the ranger really easy

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

A “nice” way would be to offer useful advice, as other players have done, which would be constructive, rather than counterproductive.

Insulting other players gets no point across other than illustrating the shortcomings of those who do it.

We spent the first part of the thread explaining how to beat these enemies. If you still have difficulty doing so when you understand the mechanics, the best advice i can give you is “learn to play better”.
I’m sorry if you take offense from the insinuation that you are not already a good player, but you have to understand that there are bad players out there, and if explanations fail, the best advice we have to offer is “get better”

I take no offense at all, though I’m forced to wonder where you got the idea I’m having trouble with the content, since that was my first comment in the thread and didn’t say anything of the sort.

You claimed you were not sure if there was a nice way to tell other players “you might just not actually be very good at this game.” I suggested a more constructive alternative, since telling players they’re bad accomplishes nothing worthwhile, but that point seems to have been lost.

Should I suggest you “get better” at reading? I don’t think you would appreciate that any more than being told you were a “bad player”, nor do I think it would help you or anyone else.

Instead, please understand there is never a need to tell anyone they are a “bad player” — all that does is alienate people and accomplish less than saying nothing at all.

Offering helpful advice and recommending ways of improving is a much better way to go, which is what I hope is getting across.

If I’m not making that clear enough, I’m quite willing to keep trying, if it can help.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They revamped the AI system so now critters are quite challenging. They promised a more challenging experience that players were asking for and they delivered in spades.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021848/Building-a-Better-Centaur-AI

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

A “nice” way would be to offer useful advice, as other players have done, which would be constructive, rather than counterproductive.

Insulting other players gets no point across other than illustrating the shortcomings of those who do it.

We spent the first part of the thread explaining how to beat these enemies. If you still have difficulty doing so when you understand the mechanics, the best advice i can give you is “learn to play better”.
I’m sorry if you take offense from the insinuation that you are not already a good player, but you have to understand that there are bad players out there, and if explanations fail, the best advice we have to offer is “get better”

I take no offense at all, though I’m forced to wonder where you got the idea I’m having trouble with the content, since that was my first comment in the thread and didn’t say anything of the sort.

You claimed you were not sure if there was a nice way to tell other players “you might just not actually be very good at this game.” I suggested a more constructive alternative, since telling players they’re bad accomplishes nothing worthwhile, but that point seems to have been lost.

Should I suggest you “get better” at reading? I don’t think you would appreciate that any more than being told you were a “bad player”, nor do I think it would help you or anyone else.

Instead, please understand there is never a need to tell anyone they are a “bad player” — all that does is alienate people and accomplish less than saying nothing at all.

Offering helpful advice and recommending ways of improving is a much better way to go, which is what I hope is getting across.

If I’m not making that clear enough, I’m quite willing to keep trying, if it can help.

Sorry, i could have phrased that better. the ‘you’ i’m using was intended as an address to the reader, if applicable, not to you as in the person whom i was quoting.

I do feel that helpful advice has its limits. if you are not good at reading, then what else can you do but suggest they get better? If you were, instead, to suggest they read more in lieu of stating your actual intended advice, they can quite reasonably object that they’re not good at it.

I mean, you can go through your advice, ever refining what you are instructing them to do; “struggle with these mobs? learn these mechanics and how to avoid them. can’t avoid them? learn their animation tells and timing so you can better time your dodges” but ultimately that seems more insulting to me, to talk down that way as if they were a child.
If someone says to me they’re having difficulty, I would absolutely, regarding them as an equal, tell them, “you might just need to get better at it”.

Majic.4801

If someone says to me they’re having difficulty, I would absolutely, regarding them as an equal, tell them, “you might just need to get better at it”.

Nothing wrong with offering encouragement. One of my favorites, as a great mentor once said…

“Practice makes better; there’s no such thing as perfect.”

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

If maps were not layered and some stuff not so ridiculously hidden, I would have nearly no concerns with HoT at all up to this point. My moaning and groaning will start again when raids are implemented.

In my personal opinion, Frogs were massively underated in the beta and smokescales way overrated. I especiall like the big frogs with the belly flop attack. The only mobs I loathe up until now are the rolling dinosaurs, not fun at all to fight them.

Mushroom kings with all the knockdown. Ugh lol

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I’m pleased with the challenges. I’ve had to adapt the playstyle and build of some of my characters, but that’s how it goes when you learn to counter a new enemy.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

it is so funny, people complain about these mobs, others thinking it is because full zerker gear….. you know, I run FULL zerker gear because I am to lazy and to poor to go buy new or farm new gear. Just waiting for some decent drops, but you know what, I have 0 issues with any mobs and hardly died at all.

I think it is more an issue of not having masteries complete and getting used to mobs and learning new tactics, (and yeah the smokescales are annoying but meh)

Well, that is good for you.

But, the point is, that the OP is clearly having problems, so the logical answer is to suggest he/she runs in something other than a glorified pair of pyjamas.

question, do you run full zerker gear?

Zerker isn’t the problem, it’s a symptom.

If you don’t play zerker, mobs take 5x+ longer to kill and that’s 5x time longer to shadowstep, stun, blind, instagib you. You can’t outheal or outlast it, and since some of the mobs (frogs) spend 90% of the fight immune, stealthed, shadowstepping to range, or stunlocking/fumbling you, you’re in for a bad time.

No, it’s fine.

The more Toughness and Vitality you have, the (far) less likely you are to be one-shotted and the (far) more likely you are to make it to your next heal.

Heals are on a set CD, after all – they don’t get a shorter CD if you’re in your pyjamas…

I wear my PVP gear, mainly because I am not switching gear, piece by piece, all the time (have Anet really still not heard of gear sets?!) and I rarely, if ever, die to mobs.

What I die to is falling from great heights, when my glider fails to deploy; as it does on an alarmingly regular basis, for some unknown reason.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

Keira Wildflower what class are you currently playing? And how do you play it (Main stats, weapons and such) then I can see if there is anything I know that could help XD

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

My issue is with pocket raptors, and Mushrooms, the raptors need alot less health.

Are you serious about the Pocket Raptors? I hate the Mushrooms as much as the next person, but the PRs are adorable, and they go down pretty quick with any sort of AoE. They’ll take you down PDQ if you have bad timing, but that’s only because there are so many of them. I don’t think they have much HP at all. They’re just really fast, and stack a lot of damage. At any rate, they are easy enough to deal with. They don’t roam, so you can just avoid them most of the time, and prepare for them if you need them out of your way.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Pocket Raptors are XP factories. Just remember they surround you and attack all at once so large AoEs and timing your dodge helps greatly in fighting them.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

Best advice I can give is to change up your specs, weapons, utilities and stats, it worked for me at the least (Ranger using longbow and staff) plus I go around with a partner (Necro)

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I run around in full berserker, and I don’t see what the problem is. And no, this isn’t an “I’m so elite” bragging post. I’m actually quite mediocre at this game.

Most of the enemies die pretty easily. The really high damage ones like the frogs and snipers, they’re glass cannons in themselves. The frogs are pretty easy to kill, as a single reflect usually spells the death of them. If not, use a movement skill to close the gap and burst them down, but disengage and range when they go into a melee attack.

Smokescales are just a minor annoyance. They flip around a bit then drop a dodge field. Usually they die before the dodge field. The only complaint I have is that the champ mushrooms have an AoE that displays an incorrect field of effect, and it trips me up because I don’t expect the interface to lie to me.

My best advice, is to be aggressive. Running past things isn’t always easier than killing things. So, if you see a dangerous enemy ahead, be aggressive. Those frogs are surprisingly easy when you take the first move and disable/burst them down.

Also, watch your back. Enemies hide around corners waiting to ambush.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Thagyr.4136

Thagyr.4136

All the attacks the frogs do are telegraphed to the max, and once you get stealth detection from nuhoch they lose one of their more annoying traits.

I don’t understand how other people here complain about the frog dagger attacks. They literally take 3 seconds to sheath their bow to pull their daggers, then they BEELINE towards you by running. No teleporting or anything. Just plain ol’run.

Sure, if ignoring all these signs and they somehow hit you with their opening stun then you are in for a bad time. But we have stunbreaks. Hit one and take 3 steps to the left or right and the frog will just continue standing there flailing away at the air in front of him. Stunbreaks are useful in HoT cause of the abundance of knockdowns, stuns, dazes and launches.

Not rocket science.

They have several melee attacks, and if you are a melee character there is no telegraph on what attack they are about to do (which is my main complaint).

Also, right now, Nuhoch stealth detection doesn’t seem to function properly/consistently. The frogs are still able to break targeting with their smoke bomb, and they aren’t always made visible while stealthed.

If you keep them at range, then sure, bladedancers can’t really do very much to you, but not every prof/spec has an effective ranged playstyle and if a mob really wants to chase you down (like the champ for the hero point) there’s not all that much you can do to stop it.

I feel like putting a charge-up telegraph into the attack animation for their stun chain would be fair.

Nice to see we’re back to insulting each other again. Please continue, let’s see this “award winning community” in action.

I’m not sure that there’s a nice way to say, “you might just not actually be very good at this game”
I don’t mind sugar coating but i think it’s less essential than getting the point across.

Funny, doesn’t sound like a skill problem to me, just more like mobs spamming cheesy abilities that don’t sound fun. But then again fun is subjective. So is difficulty, but whatever floats your boat.

You’re right, they are subjective. Most people would agree, though, that boredom is not fun, and most i think would likewise agree that un-engaging gameplay creates boredom. Difficulty may not automagically generate engagement, but it’s difficult to be engaged by combat which requires no attention whatsoever.

Personally, i find the new enemies much more engaging and therefore fun. Some – liek the bladedancers, as mentioned above – have attacks which are very difficult to dodge and have extreme consequences for failure, which i do not enjoy so much, but removing the difficult mechanics entirely won’t make them more fun – it’ll just make them boring, instead of annoying.

I stated I play a Knight scrapper which is primarily melee, albeit more focused on defense. I still solo champions within the 10 minutes allowed barring a few annoying ones like Mushroom Queen in Tangled Depths.

The Frog smokebomb doesn’t stealth them, which is funny I know, instead it acts like a teleport. I’ve never seen them hit me from somewhere I couldn’t see them since acquiring the mastery.

What I implied about the frogs simpler approach in attacking is that they are very straightfoward and it isn’t about keeping away. They get locked into their combo animation very easily and as long as you don’t sit in front of them for the entire duration they are largely useless. If you know you are going to fight bladedancers without support then equip a stunbreak for emergencies, since it’s the first and third attacks in their chain that stun. Otherwise dodge the minute you meet face to face, chances are they would have tried to attack you the second they reached you (which is a constant for ALL enemy AIs), and by then you are already behind or beside them from the dodge.

Basically the entire Frog attack is deadly when failed, but easily punished.

If you are out of dodges, then move away from them. Use cripples, immobs, chills, blinds, blocks, all that stuff to stall for time. Not all melee classes have a ranged option sure, but sure as hell most of them have a way to cripple or move away quickly. And again, stunbreaks. If you have trouble avoiding something then equip defensive abilities until you can.

(edited by Thagyr.4136)

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I run full zerker and haven’t really had issues with mobs killing me – the problem here is that mobs that “evade” or are invulnerable for long periods of time ( like smokescales) are not fun to play against.

It’s the laziest way to make a fight more dangerous/take longer – make the thing you’re fighting periodically invulnerable.

Even QTE would be a better way out.

In my opinion it is not a lazy way to make fights longer, it is a way to make you realize that this is your defencive phase of the fight. It forces you to plan your moves and not just go all out zerker on your enemies. People complained before that most of GW2 content was just 111111, but now you have to use other skills during these phases to get away, block, evade or dodge.

I run Knights with my Scrapper and I kill a veteran smokescale in less than 30seconds, CC it and keep it out of its smoke circle, the only time when it is realy invurnable is when he does the shiro skill but two timed dodges and you go pretty much out un-harmed.

It’s not about what skills you use – it’s simply adding an “unfair” mechanic – no matter how skilled you are an invulnerable enemy is still invulnerable.

I have no issue killing them or staying alive – it’s just that I find the mechanic of making them last artificially longer through invulnerability to be a “cheap” way to add challenge.

It’s fine-mobs don’t complain about similar player evasive tactics. Having mobs have these “unfair” tactics evens up the tables, if ever so slightly. It’s not giving you any trouble anyway-perhaps being just a minor inconvenience-as far as you are telling us, and they do give some players a bit of grief, which is a good thing.

Mobs in GW1, for instance (and not that it must be like GW1) still were more “unfair,” and most abilities were identical to player characters, sometimes super-scaled, even. Think PvPing against AI-and even then, as you know, they are not THAT hard.

(edited by Star Ace.5207)

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I agree, with each insta crush kill or stun-then knocked off cliff insta die I get more kittened off.

I don’t even try for strategy in hot anymore.. just yolo, you’re going to die any kitten way.

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: Theloseronian.2075

Theloseronian.2075

I don’t find any of the new mobs troublesome … but I still have a complaint about them.

So many of them do things that require you to step back and wait untill they finished doing their fancy moves before you can continue killing them.
Smokescales – you walk out the smoke field, then kindly have to wait for the thing to finish its “I’m breathing smoke !” animation, notice where you are and move out of the smoke field.
The little fire wyverns – once it starts the whole flying-up-into-the-air-and-creating-a-large-fire-field process, you can just walk to where the fire field doesn’t reach and wait for like half a minute untill the bloody thing comes down and becomes targetable again.
The frogs – same thing, just wait out the whole stealth, teleport and evade chain before you can start damaging them again.

Just so much standing around waiting for the time window in which you can damage a mob … it is so tedious and boring, even more so than the mobs in the old zones. At least with the older mobs you can create a challenge for yourself by pulling a large number of them, and do not have these 10-20 second breaks each fight to just stand around and watch the show. With the new ones there are just so many things that artificially stretch out how long it takes to defeat them it’s not even funny.

(edited by Theloseronian.2075)

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

The smokescales are incredibly infuriating. I wont deny that. I think the best thing to do with them is increase the cooldown on their evade ability.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Nice to see we’re back to insulting each other again. Please continue, let’s see this “award winning community” in action.

Agreed, it’s getting as toxic in the maps s it is here.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

I agree with the op to a point.
Two major issues I see here.

A.Although the majority of the mobs are nicely balanced,
in the case of the Frogs,the Vines and some of the Mordrem Guard,
they are overtuned so much it’s pointless.
By that I mean.Way too much CC,way too many conditions,
and overkill spamming.And take in account we are not talking
about 1 or 2 mob encounters here.In many cases I’m between
5+ mobs,and each of them hits like a truck,and spams CC every
couple of seconds.
Did you just cleanse 9 stacks of Torment?No worries,here’s another
9 to play with.And did you just dodge two consecutive knockdowns?
Well.Time to hit the floor because the CC spam never stops.
Add to that the Stealth/Evade spam kitten.
What’s the point of this?This is open world content.
It’s one thing to make it interesting,and another to go full on Hurdur
with the difficulty.And that brings me to the second issue.

B.Where can a player go to find more laid back content?This used to be
the purpose of the open world.It ain’t any more.So where?In Dungeons?
In Fractals?In Raids?In another game,maybe?
There is a time and a place for everything.
Challenging content belongs in instances.
Open world content needs to be hard enough to make things interesting,
but the game went from the ‘wake me up if I fall asleep’ combat of the old
maps,to the ’don’t miss a dodge or you’ll die and even if you don’t miss it you’ll
die anyway’.

The overtuning of some of the mobs in HoT is overshadowing what is otherwise
a nicely balanced game.
It’s a shame really.
And it will drive players away.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

(edited by Aenaos.8160)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Master Gwyllion: WTF are you thinking!? His mechanics don’t even make sense!! He instakills the whole group, and he takes a massive group to kill him apparently. I have yet to see a successful group yet. He needs a way to be dodged or something. He shouldn’t do 100k damage to go through deathshroud and full health in one hit. the smokescales don’t help. Needs a massive rework.

You are fundamentally missing the tactics of this fight. You need stealth detection mastery, when he stealths you need to interrupt him or you get the massive damage. It’s not you get the massive damage and you can’t do anything about it.

He’s not even that hard. You can avoid the damage countdown thing by being a bit further back from him, and its amazing what a group of people that know how to rez each other can do while your 1-3 people who can see him tag up and provide targeting information with their bodies piled right on top of him.

He’s not trivially easy, but he’s not unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

The real problem with the new “content”(lol not real content though) is that it’s open world and anybody can join. This is the only hard part. The mechanics are easy, the coordination required is laughable and the damage, while being a bit high, is rather avoidable.

Obviously your average signet bearbow will struggle. It’s normal. But if it was instanced so people could remove the useless participants everything would be super faceroll.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Plus – all those people would find themselves unable to complete and flood the forums with "omg elitists are discriminating against me " posts.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

I’m finding the new content very annoying, i see people say they are happy of “challenging” content but than a night fall in verdant brink for example they just kill the legendary weavern and never bother to kill the actual “challenging” bosses. the maps need a lfg tool to have a better experience which is stupid. when you need a lfg for pve events for me just means that the overflow system is flawed or the mechanics of the maps are flawed.
if you happen to be solo while a rally point is under attack is very difficoult for the event to succed.
i have no problem with challenging content at all, but when the challenge depends on numbers of people in the map, pulls, knockback, invisibility, immobilize mobs that make you fly off ledges (while you can’t enjoy the same experience for them), or in general the challenge depends on the fact that you have no control over your character i don’t find it challenging just arbitrarily punishing. try to challenge me with the same ability i have. because we as players cannot do to the mobs the same things they can do to us in terms of cc and cooldown on powerful skills.
this apply also to old content.

another boring thing are contested waypoints i understand why they do it in instances, but in pve it’s stupid that if you die you have to run miles before you can reach your friends again and you have to face swarms of mobs ccing you so much you probably won’t reach your friends at all.

end finally the maps are overcomplicated when you want just to move from point a to point b.

it is not challenging it is devs trolling us because we cannot stop whining about anything in this game

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I run full zerker and haven’t really had issues with mobs killing me – the problem here is that mobs that “evade” or are invulnerable for long periods of time ( like smokescales) are not fun to play against.

It’s the laziest way to make a fight more dangerous/take longer – make the thing you’re fighting periodically invulnerable.

Even QTE would be a better way out.

In my opinion it is not a lazy way to make fights longer, it is a way to make you realize that this is your defencive phase of the fight. It forces you to plan your moves and not just go all out zerker on your enemies. People complained before that most of GW2 content was just 111111, but now you have to use other skills during these phases to get away, block, evade or dodge.

I run Knights with my Scrapper and I kill a veteran smokescale in less than 30seconds, CC it and keep it out of its smoke circle, the only time when it is realy invurnable is when he does the shiro skill but two timed dodges and you go pretty much out un-harmed.

It’s not about what skills you use – it’s simply adding an “unfair” mechanic – no matter how skilled you are an invulnerable enemy is still invulnerable.

I have no issue killing them or staying alive – it’s just that I find the mechanic of making them last artificially longer through invulnerability to be a “cheap” way to add challenge.

It is so sad to hear that people are in so much hurry that they don’t have time to wait a second or two. You call it what you like, lazy or not, I am saying that Smokescales, frogs and snipers and other enemies that has defencive or even both defencive and damaging skills are there to make the encounters more interesting to fight. Are you saying that a Guard that are using Renewed Focus, Scrapper using Shock Shield or a warrior uses endure pain are just lazy dragging out the time?

There is a reason for their skills and sometimes you encounter these mobs not solo but alot of them and then their skills combined results in you have to pay attention to what they do. If you are going full zerker you have to stay alert and if you are successfull you will win fast. For me who plays Knight it takes alittle more time but it gives room for some failures. This is how it is supposed to work.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: hotfreak.5907

hotfreak.5907

I really hope ANet does not nerf the mob challenge in the new zones. It’s a breath of fresh air.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Master Gwyllion: WTF are you thinking!? His mechanics don’t even make sense!! He instakills the whole group, and he takes a massive group to kill him apparently. I have yet to see a successful group yet. He needs a way to be dodged or something. He shouldn’t do 100k damage to go through deathshroud and full health in one hit. the smokescales don’t help. Needs a massive rework.

You are fundamentally missing the tactics of this fight. You need stealth detection mastery, when he stealths you need to interrupt him or you get the massive damage. It’s not you get the massive damage and you can’t do anything about it.

Don’t even need stealth detection. There is enough time after he unstealths before that attack to find him, reach him, and break his bar to interrupt it. You do, however, have to be quick about it. I was able to stop that attack without any of the other players helping a couple times, and I’m on Reaper! Thieves and Mesmers should have no issues getting to him and breaking his bar.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

I’m curious to know if you actually tested the creatures in HoT? because, the fruits of your labor are screaming “I was never tested for real-in-game-testing”.

Smokescales: Just slap some power nerfs on these guys and they should be fine, but seriously, so much evading it is ridiculous.

Any Enemy Frog dude: Shadowstepping is way too broken. Not too mention the amount of stabbings they do you cannot dodge. Let me tell you it sucks. You need to pull back on whatever super damage ideas you have. They instant drop on you and you only get 2 dodges.

Mordrem dissentors (I believe that is what they are called): They are in the instance that get’s you the guild hall. Outrun the fastest player and kills them in 3 hits no matter who they are. I wish I was joking. I don’t know why you guys are obsessed with killing players so much. anyone not a professional player gets wiped on the floor.

I’m begging you guys. Please fix these. These are the most obvious. Bugs exist and I understand that. Just please tone it down or give us buffs!! Please!!

shadowscales are great, veteran ones even make you think twice before engaging them. the regular ones die very quickly and shoulnd’t be a problem unless you stay in the smoke area, in which case you deserve a problem.

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

Yeah my thinking too. If you go zerker and arn’t very good you’ll be slapped around a lot XD

Fixed that for you. If you arn’t good enough to zerker in an unknown environment, then don’t.

In a week or two, everyone and their dog will be able to run the new areas in high damage gear again after a quick google search.

Posted by: Lucky Shot.7650

Lucky Shot.7650

I run full berserker i think the mobs in hot are perfectly fine , there should be some sense of danger in the world
If i see an elite Hylek or a couple of vet Hyleks(the ones with deadly dagger or range evasion) i just avoid them or rush through, couple of arrow shots and half my hp goes
Feels very engaging , no change plz

This post basically says: “I don’t think enemies are too strong. When I see a couple of them I avoid engaging because they are too strong”. XD

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

I run full berserker i think the mobs in hot are perfectly fine , there should be some sense of danger in the world
If i see an elite Hylek or a couple of vet Hyleks(the ones with deadly dagger or range evasion) i just avoid them or rush through, couple of arrow shots and half my hp goes
Feels very engaging , no change plz

This post basically says: “I don’t think enemies are too strong. When I see a couple of them I avoid engaging because they are too strong”. XD

Yap.If you run and don’t stay to fight everything is alright!
There’s the problem.
These mobs are overtuned only when you fight them.
If you run they are ok……..
/facepalm

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Solek.3267

Solek.3267

I usually try to be helpful, but seriously ?

It took what, two days, for people to whine so hard that they nerfed Hero Challenge and Hero Point requirement for elite spec. Meanwhile, I had a Master Scrapper, and was 12 HP away from Master Dragon Hunter. That’s by myself (most of the time) or with ONE friend, both in berserker gear, with him on a class he had never played (rev).

Yes, the first time I encountered a Shadowscale, I yelled WTH. Then I read their tooltip (you know, that thing under their health bar that tells you what a mobs can do? Might want to read those sometimes) and realized that I only had to avoid their Unrelenting Assault and move them out of their smoke. Same with the Stonehead, Arrowhead, Shadowleapers, Bladedancer, etc.

Know what ? Learn, adapt. >You’re in the jungle baby, you’re gonna die< Even the mighty Teq 2.0 can now be farmed easily, while he was considered hard after his remake. Why is that ? Because we all got better ( as in L2P ).

Go do the Migraine achievement in story Act4, make it to the last boss(even better if you took C’s path), kill him, and tell me if you managed to do it without adjusting traits/gear/skills. This is what they want raid boss to be, and it’s not by whining that you can’t AFK auto-attack on the forum that you’ll manage to get better.

(edit : Think I failed the spoiler tag, removed it and the spoilers)

(edited by Solek.3267)

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

OP, this is a L2P issue, simple as that. Get out of your full-zerker gear and learn to dodge.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Every mob you listed has a very simple to understand mechanic with a very simple to implement counter.

The difference between HoT mobs and their far easier brethren is that, unlike core mobs, the special abilities of the various mobs actually matter and require you to do something other than run the same damage rotation for everything.

There’s nothing particularly unfair about these mobs. They simply require you to actually think about defending yourself from them, have some defensive skills, or if you’re going full offense bring someone prepared to defend you. Just damage is not enough in HoT, and will likely remain not enough for all content going forward because the game being nothing but mindless DPS was the primary reason PvE was boring up until this point.

Pay attention to what’s going on around you. Use your defensive skills and dodges for defense rather than to proc boons. Defend yourself.

Every class has the tools, in pretty much any given build, to deal with HoT mobs. Here are a few tips.

Pocket Raptors: Kill them with aoes and cleaves. No, really, that’s the design. They are packs of very low HP mobs with low frequency spike damage. Dodge the charge, and kill them. You have two weapons, or you have kits, or you have attunements. Use them appropriately for the given situation.

Kite smokescales out of their smoke. dodge/invuln/whatever you got when they do their seeker attack. Repeat until dead.

Gwyllion: Breakbars are a thing in HoT. Learn to save hard CC against bosses for when their break bar is vulnerable. That is literally why they designed break bars. To give you a chance to actually use CC on bosses in large events. Gwyllion stealths. Use a mastry to counter it, or follow the guy that has the mastry.

Frogs: Stunbreaks are not PvP only skills. If it’s going to stab you, it has an obvious tell. It only pulls out daggers when it’s about to stab you. Use movement abilities to close when they shadowstep, or defensive abilities and dodges to counter their ranged attacks while you walk forward.

Mordrem (all of them): Use crowd control abilities All mordrem with “big trouble” abilities are also succeptable to stuns, fears, launches, and other such effects when attempting to activate those abilities. Interrupt them. If you’re blowing your CC on DPS and its on cooldown when you need to interrupt a key skill, that’s you playing poorly, not the game being unfair.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Joxer.6024

Joxer.6024

Please, please no. ANET, please lock this thread or at the very least IGNORE IT!!! This is exactly what killed WOW. Too many players crying that the game was hard so then what happened? My 4yr granddaughter can do Heroic Raids now!
So yea, people that read this please don’t post crap like this because sadly if enough cry the mighty suits (not the Devs sadly) will see dollar signs going bye-bye so they will nerf it to virtual death. Just close this and let it go away…..and to the OP, normally I don’t agree with what some consider rude replys but in this case I am with the L2P folks. Take the time and effort you spent in posting this and apply it to your game playing.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Bladedancers’ hit detection makes no sense. They are clearly stabbing in front of themselves, but they still have some sort of cleave, wide enough to look like you died from nothing.

Also making an enemy that’s completely immune to projectile attacks is just plain silly.

Technically they’re not 100% completely immune to projectile attacks…otherwise my Ranger would not be able to kill them solo…and I can certainly do that using my LB.

Barrage and pet are not projectiles.

But, the point is, that the OP is clearly having problems, so the logical answer is to suggest he/she runs in something other than a glorified pair of pyjamas.

Except that doesn’t help. If you don’t dps those mobs fast enough, lot of them will get you stunlocked and flying around due to knockbacks/knockdowns/pulls in short order, at a rate that will easily overpower your stunbreak/stability/cleanse/heal/block capabilities. Single mobs are generally fine, but then they usually move in packs.

Going for survival here instead of for damage is going to actually decrease your survival chances. All it will do is extend the agony.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’m curious to know if you actually tested the creatures in HoT? because, the fruits of your labor are screaming “I was never tested for real-in-game-testing”.

Smokescales: Just slap some power nerfs on these guys and they should be fine, but seriously, so much evading it is ridiculous.

Any Enemy Frog dude: Shadowstepping is way too broken. Not too mention the amount of stabbings they do you cannot dodge. Let me tell you it sucks. You need to pull back on whatever super damage ideas you have. They instant drop on you and you only get 2 dodges.

Mordrem dissentors (I believe that is what they are called): They are in the instance that get’s you the guild hall. Outrun the fastest player and kills them in 3 hits no matter who they are. I wish I was joking. I don’t know why you guys are obsessed with killing players so much. anyone not a professional player gets wiped on the floor.

I’m begging you guys. Please fix these. These are the most obvious. Bugs exist and I understand that. Just please tone it down or give us buffs!! Please!!

Nothing needs to be fixed. You just need to learn the mechanics. For example, for Gwillion, you need to break his bar so he doesn’t down everyone.

Posted by: Pharazon.3095

Pharazon.3095

There’s a slight difference between learning the mechanics and having a standing chance to avoid them. A lot of monsters have some way of stun-lock you for an extended period of time.

A good few monsters are build in such a way that you are able to dodge them, when on their own. However together in a group and they become a whole lot more troublesome to deal with. And that’s the major issue I have with HoT mobs, they mostly come in groups or are close to other monsters to aggro, and once they’re packed together, they become a whole lot more difficult to deal with, to a point where you’re stun-locked in 80% of the fight. The stuns last for 2-5 seconds, depending on the monster, and with the damage aspect of this game, those 2-5 seconds become more or less the entire fight.

Ayrilana.1396

Use stability, stun breaks, blocks, and evades/dodges.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Some things are annoying, such as the shadowleapers’ passive ability to negate some ranged attacks and the smokescales’ smoke field not allowing you to even CC it out, but as a whole I’ve actually enjoyed the more challenging mobs. It’s something that the base game really lacked, and I’m doing just fine in zerker gear now that I’m familiar with how they work.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

With the cc rate you get in the monster rich environment (and there’s way too many of those) you will get all of those on cooldown within seconds. And then get stunlocked anyway.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t mind foes that have a lot of blocks or evades, but I would like to see more/better counter skills come back into the game for dealing with such things. Things like ‘rigor mortis’ or ‘defile defenses’. Rigor (and similar skills) nullified evasion, defile actually punished the foe for using a block (not precisely the same as just making your skills unblockable). It added just a tad bit more to the game play, imo, and I’d kind of like to see it come back.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Ayrilana.1396

With the cc rate you get in the monster rich environment (and there’s way too many of those) you will get all of those on cooldown within seconds. And then get stunlocked anyway.

I have yet to run into that issue on any of my characters (one of each class).

Majic.4801

It happens when you fight more than one of them.

Ayrilana.1396

It happens when you fight more than one of them.

Which I have and haven’t ran into an issue with. Every mobs doesn’t need to be made so that you can faceroll through otherwise we have what we had before the expansion. If you see mobs that apply conditions, equip utilities that cleanse. If you see mobs that do knock downs, daze, and the like, have stability at the ready. It doesn’t take much to prepare for what you’re about to fight unless having to do that in the first place is the real issue.

Posted by: Methal.9045

Methal.9045

along with 99% of the game?

I have 1 toon that does, and 1 that doesn’t both finished the main story in HoT

Only difference is my guardian took 3 times as long to do kitten as my Ranger in full zerkers.

Zerkers is used because there is no other viable build for PvE. Especially group content.

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

If maps were not layered and some stuff not so ridiculously hidden, I would have nearly no concerns with HoT at all up to this point. My moaning and groaning will start again when raids are implemented.

In my personal opinion, Frogs were massively underated in the beta and smokescales way overrated. I especiall like the big frogs with the belly flop attack. The only mobs I loathe up until now are the rolling dinosaurs, not fun at all to fight them.

Mushroom kings with all the knockdown. Ugh lol

I had two mushroom kings tag-teaming me the other day. I can tell you they apparently had a lot of fun. Me not so much

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The blade frogs are all i really don’t like. Their stun-stab needs a telegraph.

This. The internet cannot convey how much I emphatically say THIS.

That aside, I could certainly recommend a number of tweaks to bring a 4/10 enemy design to.. 7/10, at least.

Mordrem hammerdudes: Mostly fine! Slight tweak, lower their break bar amount a tad or open them up to interrupts a little sooner. Even with warrior hammer, I can’t break them fast enough to interrupt their main attack.

Mordrem snipers: I’m reluctant to say they’re fine. They have a good (if frustrating) skill set. Best strat is to hit first, hard CC, and smear them before they push-back. I only really get ticked when there are 3+ on the field and there’s no way to keep an eye on them for all their vanishing. Looking forward to chubbyfrog mastery for that.

The other Mordrem snipers: I’ll admit, I laughed by tail off at their insta-KO vs flying. Cheap as fubar, but amusing once or twice. But, they do fall under the category of “ANet one-shots too much.”

Pocket raptors: Please fix their attack range. That is all.

Rolling devils: I’ve oddly run into two kinds, one with CC enabled, and one that couldn’t. CC-enabled went well enough, but the ones that were CC-immune are just, quite frankly, BS for the amount of damage they do.

Arrowheads and those stupid head-charging dinosaurs: Anything with a hard CC should not spam that CC as a basic attack. This also refers to dust devils and their blind, charging mushrooms, Zojja in Twilight Arbor… If a player had that level of CC-spam, the forums would explode in uproar.
Side note: By making these kinds of CC near-constant, you devalue Stability as a boon or as skillful play. The brief window of allowed action isn’t worth the long cooldowns imposed, and in the end, disappears too soon.

Frog archers: Almost in a good spot, frustrating as it is. The range inhibition is interesting, but again, it’s a no-cooldown ability that players would rage over if confronted with in PvP. Not to mention, they just stand there. Let it be an actual dodge, one affected by endurance drain and Weakness.

Frog stabber: Noted above, there needs to be a suitable tell on the stun-knife. Or make it a daze, so the followup can be dodged. Or tone down the auto-damage from the followup. They’re not terrible aside from a tweak needed on that one facet.

Chak: As a whole, strangely tolerable! They synergize with each other, but are quite manageable on their own.

Mushroom bombers: Reduce the size/duration of the exploding bits. The targeting is fairly impossible to get away from, even with swiftness, so a slower projectile is also in order.

PS: Fix those un-soloable hero points. It’s not a challenge by skill, but by number.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Majic.4801

Which I have and haven’t ran into an issue with. Every mobs doesn’t need to be made so that you can faceroll through otherwise we have what we had before the expansion. If you see mobs that apply conditions, equip utilities that cleanse. If you see mobs that do knock downs, daze, and the like, have stability at the ready. It doesn’t take much to prepare for what you’re about to fight unless having to do that in the first place is the real issue.

I haven’t seen any platypuses in my travels. Should I therefore conclude platypuses don’t exist?

The stun-locking occurs when dealing with multiple mobs that have disabling control effects. Several different types of HoT mobs have them, such as beetles, teragriffs, chaks, punishers, cavaliers/mounts, wyverns and the like. Mobs that don’t possess these abilities won’t cause the problem.

If you haven’t encountered the stun-locking issue, you can find such scenarios in any HoT map by fighting several enemies with such abilities at once. This can occur during dynamic events, especially upscaled events that take place in confined spaces, such as caves, ledges or platforms.

If you still don’t believe it possible, you can get a quick taste by running into a crowd of mobs with such abilities in the open world — such as beetles in the Verdant Brink, for example — though I don’t recommend doing so otherwise.

Having stability for such eventualities is nice for professions which have ready access to it, but even then, it’s easy to blow through all the stability possible very quickly, and the cooldowns tend to be long.

In protracted fights with lots of mobs, which are de rigeur in HoT events, it can become an issue, hence the comments to that effect which you are unsuccessfully attempting to refute.

Concluding players desire faceroll content because they don’t like stun-locking is as fallacious as concluding problems don’t exist because you are unaware of them. That’s straw-man bashing, which, though easier than confronting actual differing opinions, doesn’t convince anyone of anything, other than that straw-man bashing isn’t constructive.

Moreover, you will never convince the many players beside yourself who have been subjected to stun-locking that it never happens, and the very idea that they would believe you over their own in-game experiences is patently absurd.

If you don’t see a problem with stun-locking and haven’t experienced it yourself, that’s great, and I’m happy for you. But making false, condescending statements about other players when you apparently don’t understand what they’re talking about looks as silly as it sounds, so I advise against it.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I haven’t seen any platypuses in my travels. Should I therefore conclude platypuses don’t exist?

The stun-locking occurs when dealing with multiple mobs that have disabling control effects. Several different types of HoT mobs have them, such as beetles, teragriffs, chaks, punishers, cavaliers/mounts, wyverns and the like. Mobs that don’t possess these abilities won’t cause the problem.

If you haven’t encountered the stun-locking issue, you can find such scenarios in any HoT map by fighting several enemies with such abilities at once. This can occur during dynamic events, especially upscaled events that take place in confined spaces, such as caves, ledges or platforms.

If you still don’t believe it possible, you can get a quick taste by running into a crowd of mobs with such abilities in the open world — such as beetles in the Verdant Brink, for example — though I don’t recommend doing so otherwise.

Having stability for such eventualities is nice for professions which have ready access to it, but even then, it’s easy to blow through all the stability possible very quickly, and the cooldowns tend to be long.

In protracted fights with lots of mobs, which are de rigeur in HoT events, it can become an issue, hence the comments to that effect which you are unsuccessfully attempting to refute.

Concluding players desire faceroll content because they don’t like stun-locking is as fallacious as concluding problems don’t exist because you are unaware of them. That’s straw-man bashing, which, though easier than confronting actual differing opinions, doesn’t convince anyone of anything, other than that straw-man bashing isn’t constructive.

Moreover, you will never convince the many players beside yourself who have been subjected to stun-locking that it never happens, and the very idea that they would believe you over their own in-game experiences is patently absurd.

If you don’t see a problem with stun-locking and haven’t experienced it yourself, that’s great, and I’m happy for you. But making false, condescending statements about other players when you apparently don’t understand what they’re talking about looks as silly as it sounds, so I advise against it.

The only time I could see this occurring is if you are trying to solo a group event, or maybe if you’re just trying to run past mobs without some sort of speed boost. In actual open world fights I have yet to encounter a problem where there are too many mobs for me to successfully avoid damage and CC.