So about that Vinetooth Prime...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

While I get the necessity of making difficult encounters in the game this one ranks right up there with one of the more frustrating encounters due to the mechanics.

1. The breakbar seems to scale forever so if everyone doesn’t bring CC you’re boned. Now some might go, “Yea this is great!” the problem is that there’s a lot of people who don’t pay attention, don’t really care, and are just there because they see a lot of people there. No amount of spamming chat gets these people to put proper CC on their bar to do this fight.

2. The breakbar trigger time is wonky and causes a lot of CC to be wasted. He gets his break bar, people blow their CCs (ground target and all), and then he gets up and walks a random distance in the other direction faster than most players can run making most AOE CCs completely miss entirely.

While I generally like, and understand, the mechanics of the fight I feel like it’s over tuned currently for a realistic PUG experience that it is. Considering it is also one of the precursor collection steps for some of the new Precursors it is even more frustrating because it draws even more people which just exasperates the problem further.

My suggestion would be either to change the mechanics so he doesn’t go on a walkabout during his CC phase, make his CC phase longer, or simply make it not scale/take as much to break.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Last time I did this fight, the window to break the bar seems like it was only a few seconds long. That was the only issue I had.

Posted by: Thagyr.4136

Thagyr.4136

He doesn’t walk in a random direction. He is targeting a player who he will walk over, knock down, hover over and then kill instantly if not interrupted. In fact he goes into a completely different stance when he does it so you don’t even need to see the break bar.

PUGs will learn. No need to nerf something that is perfectly doable. They’ve learnt to do things like Dragon Stand well enough and that has its own share of mechanics.

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

I think it’s the same thing as wyvern fight. That too many players make fight longer because of cc scaling and some people not contribute cc when needed.

But it’s harder because his attack is faster and he move while break bar is up.

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

I think it’s the same thing as wyvern fight. That too many players make fight longer because of cc scaling and some people not contribute cc when needed.

But it’s harder because his attack is faster and he move while break bar is up.

Spot on! It’s less a “PUGs will learn” thing and more of a mechanics thing.

I mean I can tell people 100 times in chat to the point I’m squelched to bring crowd control to break the break bar but it doesn’t mean jack if they miss it or otherwise. The mechanic doesn’t care, it’s just going to keep scaling up regardless.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

If they would just add about 3 seconds to the break bar phase, this fight would be a lot better. Vinetooth always runs off to one side of the room right before the CC phase, and by the time I get there it is too late to get all my CC’s off.

Osu