So frustrated with HOT

So frustrated with HOT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

I am just so frustrated with HOT and the direction GW2 has taken.

I can only do certain events, hero point, or adventure mini-games when they become available.

No one is showing up for big meta events so they fail.

I can not get some mastery points unless other are there too.

The entire game has turned into forced cooperation.

I want to play when I want to, not when others decide to do certain events. I loved GW1 and when GW2 first came out it was AWESOME. Now I am mired with following around tags just hitting buttons.

I just want to play a nice game not follow after groups. Or grinding after things to get other things. What happened to the fun GW2?

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It looks like the April quarterly patch is supposed to take steps to make HoT more accessible. I’m not sure what that means, but it might mean you’ll end up liking it a bit more — or maybe hating it less.

So frustrated with HOT

Angelica Dream.7103

I just want Guild Wars 2 back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKtGxVj3msM

If you love MMO’s you will want to check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMO’s then you will really want to check out GUild Wars 2

What happened Anent? GW2 used to be my all time favorite game.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Angelica, the problem is, while you want Guild Wars 2 back there were people who weren’t satisfied with how Guild Wars 2 was. Those people felt justified in asking for harder open world content and they got just that. For each person who wants to solo, there’s probably another who wants harder group content. Or some challenge in their play. It’s almost impossible to please everyone.

My best advice to you is join a casual guild and not try to do everything alone. We ran a hero point event today and had a great time. A lot of the people couldn’t have soloed the stuff we did, but with even a small group it becomes quite fun.

And this game has ALWAYS had stuff you can’t do alone when you want to. The temples in Orr for example, which have been here since launch.

At the end of the day, there is plenty of casual, solo content in this game, but proportionately very little for people who want harder difficulty.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: rrusse.7058

rrusse.7058

It’s definitely a huge change of pace with the way maps in HoT having a fair amount of areas and content that can most likely not be done by one player alone. I agree with Vayne that it might be best to try and find a group of friends or a guild to do that sort of content with. At least one of the nice things that has been in GW2 since the beginning is that groups can be picked up on the fly and form naturally out of all players having the same goal.

I can relate in the way that it feels like maps and their meta on “on rails” and that the players have a limited amount of agency in terms of when a map starts and stops the final meta event.

For example Auric Basin will begin the final battle with the Mordrem whether all pylons or none are active. Dragon Stand while fun and epic, it is a map that starts and stops based solely on the timer alone and not player actions or activity.

Maps similar in this way are of course Dry Top and Silverwastes. Dry Top does have an internal timer, but Silverwastes is unique in the way that it has a map wide meta but the start and stoppage of the final event is determined by players alone. I have entered low population maps at different levels of completion and players taxi in, work together and get the meta done.

If maps in HoT could allow for more player agency as to when a meta event starts I think it could be a step in the right direction.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Tearthy Flame.1463

Tearthy Flame.1463

I relate to you, Angelica. Most players will have mixed emotions over their favorite games. And it can be a Antidote to our stress. But here is the issue with one person trying to change the minds of a community: You’ll all need to be on the same page and have mutual understanding.

The advice I give to you is don’t only keep a negative view. Disliking GW2 becomes alike a tumor… Yet your disappointment is just as justified as everyone else, that has fallen in love with what’s been marketed 3 or less years ago, the type of game this originally was. Also, most people cannot sink multiple hours a day just to play one piece of content within a game, ’cause, ArenaNet used to be very practical about this! Now, not so practical to their casual veterans, that have real life to deal with too. HoT is not even a good direction for GW2, there is far too many poor designs to justify this… ArenaNet really has not much Logic anyway, it shows in random bits of content.

It’s common for ArenaNet too morally disappoint their player base. Myself has been there too many times. -Hopefully April will show a start to getting on the right path again.

“I don’t take insults from a tree! Have at you, leafy!”

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Those people felt justified in asking for harder open world content and they got just that.

And yet they continue to spam their 1 button while only playing with the zerg and grouping for solo content. All HoT did was kill off the less populated maps. The increase in difficulty simply made certain people fear playing outside of the zerg. Designing everything to split up the zerg is what killed it. Where you only needed 5+ people in the past, you now need 20+, though people want 50+ and commanders everywhere.

If they want to continue with this zerg design, they need to split the meta from the maps. The meta by itself should happen in its own sectioned off instance where everyone there is only there to participate. Dragon’s Stand is very close to that design.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: foxcat.4096

foxcat.4096

I am enjoying the HoT maps for what they are but the one problem with them is that they all pretty much function in the same way with a big meta event being the focus of the map. More variety in the maps would have helped to satisfy a broader amount of players and greatly increased replay-ability. They seemed to have acknowledged this ways a problem and i am really looking forward to the next map that is released.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Those people felt justified in asking for harder open world content and they got just that.

And yet they continue to spam their 1 button while only playing with the zerg and grouping for solo content. All HoT did was kill off the less populated maps. The increase in difficulty simply made certain people fear playing outside of the zerg. Designing everything to split up the zerg is what killed it. Where you only needed 5+ people in the past, you now need 20+, though people want 50+ and commanders everywhere.

If they want to continue with this zerg design, they need to split the meta from the maps. The meta by itself should happen in its own sectioned off instance where everyone there is only there to participate. Dragon’s Stand is very close to that design.

I tend to agree with this analysis, and would support that kind of play for the large meta events. Keep the exploration objectives gettable without completing the meta so those who want to get them can not taxi to the populated map.

So frustrated with HOT

Vayne.8563

I tend to agree with this analysis, and would support that kind of play for the large meta events. Keep the exploration objectives gettable without completing the meta so those who want to get them can not taxi to the populated map.

The thing is, I don’t always play HoT just to play the meta and I don’t really love to zerg. Sure I’ll do a meta if it comes up, but I actually do enjoy running around the zones, in the same way I ran around zones in the open world. I don’t really care how populated a map is and yes, I know it takes longer to get currency this way, but I don’t like game design necessary change how I have fun.

Today me and a handful of guildies ran around VB on characters to unlock some hero challenges on alts. We didn’t zerg. We just got together as a group and had some fun. We didn’t pay attention to the meta. We did do some of the events we came upon. It’s was a lot of fun.

Not sure why some people seem to think there is only one way to play these maps.

So frustrated with HOT

Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica, the problem is, while you want Guild Wars 2 back there were people who weren’t satisfied with how Guild Wars 2 was. Those people felt justified in asking for harder open world content and they got just that. For each person who wants to solo, there’s probably another who wants harder group content. Or some challenge in their play. It’s almost impossible to please everyone.

My best advice to you is join a casual guild and not try to do everything alone. We ran a hero point event today and had a great time. A lot of the people couldn’t have soloed the stuff we did, but with even a small group it becomes quite fun.
SNIP

While you answer has a lot of truth where it fails is that I get Forgotten City only once in 10 tries. Worst is I have been attempting to get Vinetooth Hunter for two weeks. Even when people do show up it fails. So may more examples I can add too.

Why do I have to play day after day and just get fails because ANET rewards people for leeching and not trying to help?

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

The original game was too casual and easy. I am happy with the new direction. With a few tweaks here and there (mushroom explosion 30k damage wtf!?) the game’ll be fine.

They certainly should’ve added more than four maps and certainly they should’ve added maps with other mechanics instead of all of them with huge meta events taking place at a certain time. But that said I love them: they are complex, huge and ingeniously engineered. Embrace it, learn the mechanics and the stuff. It’s not that hard and if you have problem just play a necro:

Attachments:

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Andulias.9516

Andulias.9516

I think the expansion was a definite step in the right direction. By no means are the events that hard and if you are failing, have you tried taxiing in more people? It’s really not that hard…

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: battledrone.8315

battledrone.8315

The original game was too casual and easy. I am happy with the new direction. With a few tweaks here and there (mushroom explosion 30k damage wtf!?) the game’ll be fine.

They certainly should’ve added more than four maps and certainly they should’ve added maps with other mechanics instead of all of them with huge meta events taking place at a certain time. But that said I love them: they are complex, huge and ingeniously engineered. Embrace it, learn the mechanics and the stuff. It’s not that hard and if you have problem just play a necro:

“too casual and easy”=7 mio sold boxes
“complex and huge”=700k sold boxes
if it was too easy and casual, why did you stay for 3 years?
do you actually LIKE to play easy and casual games?
FYI, if i do stuff like this in other games, they give me at least one epic item
not random greens and blues, but purple or orange, and with multiple choices

So frustrated with HOT

Andulias.9516

FYI, if i do stuff like this in other games, they give me at least one epic item

1. Those boxes were not 7 000 000. 7 000 000 ACCOUNTS were created, almost half of them when the game wen f2p.
2. That took 3 years with multiple 10-15 dollar sales.. No expansion sells as much as the base game in the history of anything.
3. That 700k figure you just pulled out of your kitten.

Does staying around mean he/she has no right to criticize and ask for more? What a passive-aggressive statement…

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

We don’t know figures, but I personally don’t care much how a game performs. True if you want to please the crowd you have to make games more casual friendly (though there are exceptions like Dark Souls series).

I concentrated mostly on dungeons and legendary crafting, but I also had several and long breaks for months. It was always my biggest complaint that there is no challenging group content and additional dungeons by the way.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

So frustrated with HOT

Vayne.8563

SNIP

While you answer has a lot of truth where it fails is that I get Forgotten City only once in 10 tries. Worst is I have been attempting to get Vinetooth Hunter for two weeks. Even when people do show up it fails. So may more examples I can add too.

Why do I have to play day after day and just get fails because ANET rewards people for leeching and not trying to help?

I don’t know about you but I’ve beaten the AB meta probably 90% of the time. I think I might have failed in twice. And even failing it we succeed at one gate and get some reward. It’s not like I get no reward, just less of a reward. The only way you can fail every time is if you’re not looking to be on a map that’s going to win in the first place. Triple trouble has the same problem. It requires a modicum of effort to get in a winning server, but it’s really not that hard.

Vinetooth Hunter is probably harder, because the VineTooth prime often does run out of time. Of course, the problem with achievements is if you make them easy enough for everyone to do they have no value. Some achievements really have to be harder. There’s no time limit on this.

If I were you I’d find a casual guild with no requirements that does content. Because that’s the easiest and most fun way to get this stuff done.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Avarice.2791

Avarice.2791

The direction really has not changed.

I can only do certain events, hero point, or adventure mini-games when they become available.

Hero points are always available. They’re looking to change adventures to be less gated. Events run on a timer. With the four maps combined there is literally always something to do in HoT.

This is false. You are probably showing up at the wrong time and this is on YOU. Even at 5-6 AM central people are running and completing meta events. Several servers.

Are you talking about hero points? Yes… Sometimes you have to wait 10-15 minutes for someone to show up. Or… I know this is difficult… but you could do the /map “Need help at so-and-so HP!” Listen I know you’re casual and this is an extremely difficult task to accomplish but trust me, other people don’t bite.

I’ll start by saying welcome to MMO’s! This is a MMO dude. Cooperation = progress. People play MMO’s to play with each other. It’s literally a multiplayer game with SO much content that is solo-able. If you decide to continue playing MMO’s then you need to realize that some content requires COOPERATION.

I want to play when I want to, not when others decide to do certain events. I loved GW1 and when GW2 first came out it was AWESOME. Now I am mired with following around tags just hitting buttons.

No one is deciding when to do certain events. The game is set on a timer. It never changes. I challenge you to seek out these timers as they will expand your mind.

Trust me, I am GW1’s greatest fan. I absolutely HATE what they have done with the game. I’ll still play it… >.< but GW1’s philosophy was absolutely amazing. You need to realize, GW2 is a seperate game. Comparing each is like apples to oranges.

I just want to play a nice game not follow after groups. Or grinding after things to get other things. What happened to the fun GW2?

Perhaps, you should put more than 10 minutes into this expansion before you write a lengthy thread. Trust me! After a few hours you’ll get the hang of it along with the other hundreds of thousands of players who did! No pressure!

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

Where is everyone? The map is dead when the meta event is happening too often. It wasn’t like this before. Seems to be getting worse these days

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

There was a tag at SB last night running it like the patriarch, as if 99% of the map hadn’t done SB before. It was amusing, GET IN SQUAD, IS THE MAP FULL? Sorry, I digress, I think everyone is in Queensdale.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Where is everyone? The map is dead when the meta event is happening too often. It wasn’t like this before. Seems to be getting worse these days

I maps been dead for quite a while, most people did it from the beginning and abandon the expansion. That’s why I don’t recommend anyone buying HoT at this point anymore.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Laurie.1698

Laurie.1698

For a bit of clarification before I begin this, I have played since the beginning of this expansion, since the beginning of GW2 Beta.

For the last couple weeks, there has been no one running these timed events….timed events run on timers, that DOES NOT mean that when it is time people are there to do the events. For the fourth night in a row "East is done! We have 3 minutes to run over and get South, North, and West and we should be good, is anyone over there that can tell status? (bar had not moved on any of the others, one bit, and no one answered) in map chat I see “can someone help me do this hero point? Answer (not from me this came from someone else) Yah no one needs that anymore, go find a group or something loser.” NO one is around. 30 minutes go by, still seeing no one but a few that are running around dying all over the place to various mordrem, tendrils, nasty raptors that drop nothing and kill in seconds for some people if they are in the pack size they are in the West part of Auric Basin.

Moving on, to TD. No one I can see, someone saying “I’m tagged, the Garent is up and running around we need more tags, more people, hurry!” Ok…umm I see in map chat “I need help with this hero point, anyone??” The answer (not from me) Get off the map if your not doing the event, its almost too late and we want people here that are doing the event right now." I say…“How many are in each group right now since Garent is up and kickin already?” Answer, "We have four in my group and no other tags yet for the event you can help start taxi..everyone else get out and let us get players who want to play in here. " I say, “is the map full?” Answer No we need to get it full of real players for the event, get out if you don’t want to help."

Moving on, to DS, hmmm have an hour and some change to go find some pods, good deal, no one here, I’ll go pod farming then. In map chat " Hey!!! is this map active? Why am I here? I was in a group that was doing the final fight? I DC’d and can’t find my group? Someone else “yah me too, is this the same map?? what happened?” Someone else, “I’m tagging up for reset, join me here and we can do the event” Answer Are you kidding us right now?? Two hours into it already and we are out? With nothing? What do you mean reset? Someone answered (not me) Yah umm not wasting two hours on a fight like that, I’m just here for the pods." Ok so I say I’ll help maybe we can get some pods and give that guy a chance to taxi people in to maybe get a large enough group to do DS at reset." Answer "haha yah no, I don’t need your help and I don’t want to do that fail event I’ve never seen it succeed and I’ve wasted so much time trying, go ahead and try if you want you insert nasty names here Ok sorry, I was just asking. In the meantime in map chat “taxi, is anyone helping to taxi? Join my squad for reset, are you tagging, is anyone there?” Nope, just the me and the other pod picker, the two seething from the DC from their almost done Mordy fight, and the one guy tagged up trying to taxi.

Lots around, great time, able to get much done, timers are going, events are going, no one there to do them. Hero points are there, always there, so are the one or two dead people or almost dead beside them trying to do them without anyone else there. Time you say? I have all the time I need to try in the Morning, afternoon, early evening, late evening, daily if I want to. I’m seeing the same thing over and over during all those times for the last week and half two weeks. I’ve played for longer than 10 minutes LOL…I’ve waited longer than 30 minutes at a hero point (asking in map chat "anyone help?) nothing…or rude comments of yah we did that one long ago, catch up!! What’s your problem? insert whatever other condescending comment here and all that has seemed to come to the forums too. Instead of addressing the problem, just you know try to smear the messenger, that will get it changing in the right direction for sure.

“Do not scorn caring and sympathizing, they are the gifts of a gentle heart!”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

People are doing events. It’s just that the servers are not being advertised on LFG or they are full.

Also, if you are not ready before the Gerent spawns, you’re not going to succeed.

So frustrated with HOT

Vayne.8563

I’ve done TD and AB at least recently. If you’re just randomly thinking people are going to show up like the fire ele, it doesn’t work like that. Use the LFG tool (sort of why it’s there), get into a full map and you can do any of the metas in HoT.

Saying it doesn’t happen or no one is doing it is simply not true.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Laurie.1698

Laurie.1698

Saying it doesn’t happen, never did I say that, saying that for each and every person that plays there is a perspective that is different than yours, an experience different than yours, is true. There is a problem that needs to be addressed and has been stated by many people. However, I do not believe it will be addressed any time soon. To dismiss an experience as a lie does not contribute to helping the real issue that is there.

I do not lie. And this is the last I will speak on this topic in this thread or any other. I have had my say, said my experience as have others. Its being read by those who need to see it. Good day.

“Do not scorn caring and sympathizing, they are the gifts of a gentle heart!”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

So frustrated with HOT

Vayne.8563

Saying it doesn’t happen, never did I say that, saying that for each and every person that plays there is a perspective that is different than yours, an experience different than yours, is true. There is a problem that needs to be addressed and has been stated by many people. However, I do not believe it will be addressed any time soon. To dismiss an experience as a lie does not contribute to helping the real issue that is there.

I do not lie. And this is the last I will speak on this topic in this thread or any other. I have had my say, said my experience as have others. Its being read by those who need to see it. Good day.

Your quote:

“For the last couple weeks, there has been no one running these timed events”

It’s factually wrong, since I’ve run them in the last couple of weeks and I can tell you with some certainty I didn’t solo them. Saying I haven’t been on a map that has done them is substantially different than saying no one is running them.

There are experiences and opinions and there is facts. I’m not saying anyone is lying, but the way you worded this definitely makes it seem like you believe no one is running this content…and that’s simply not the case.

If you want to say you think less people are running them, that’s a different story and I wouldn’t have bothered posting since I have no way of knowing. But these meta events are being done daily.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: SirBlunticus.4258

SirBlunticus.4258

Nice, can’t argue this.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Wander.5780

Wander.5780

I just want less garbage on the Gem Store… maybe if Anet put some items on there that actually looked good and didn’t cost the equivalent of $15 cash worth of gems then I would buy more. And I’m not talking about Outfits either.

Here’s a simple fix to the HoT metas: make the Ascended items that drop in the pods and caches at the end of the metas no longer account bound… its that simple. If you can sell Crystalline Ore or Ley Line Crystals on the TP, then people wouldn’t need to farm DS or TD metas. For those that want to brave it and make some gold by cutting pods/opening caches for crystalline ore and ley line crystals to sell, they can do so as well… its a win for both.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

My accounts are 1,299 days old, as of today. I’ve never “taken a break” from the game, except maybe 2 days when I was in Cuba.

I prefer the older map and event system.. but..

1) As has been repeated here, there are always metas running. You need to use the LFG .

2) the more you play the maps, the more you understand what’s going on

3) GW2 PvE is Co-Op focused. It always has been. That’s what I like most about it. On top of that, it’s (generally) casually co-op, so anyone on the map can be your friend of the minute. Do you think Tequatl is “Forced Co-op” too? At least it’s easier to find 50 randoms than 10 specific people for a meta chain.

4) If you don’t want to follow groups, the alternative is… lead groups. Get your Apple Tag and guide the huddled masses to do what you want to do. I (Commander) tag up for my friends and I always get a bevvy of randoms on my heels in no time.

5) Are you in NA? Message me and you’ll have another veteran to play with.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I think the thing that happened was, they saw perhaps the majority of people liked the way silverwastes was handled (I at least did, I can be wrong in this). Sure, chest trains were a side effect, but the rest was to defend as best as they could and pop the event as fast as they could for the boss. It wasn’t perfect, but it was neat.

So for HoT, they decided to take that style, and merge it with a less popular style, the one at Southsun, which only really matters when a boss is going to spawn. Instead of players dictating when the boss event spawns, now its set on a hard timer, which…sucks. I really wish they left it in the hands of the players to decide.

So frustrated with HOT

battledrone.8315

1. Those boxes were not 7 000 000. 7 000 000 ACCOUNTS were created, almost half of them when the game wen f2p.
2. That took 3 years with multiple 10-15 dollar sales.. No expansion sells as much as the base game in the history of anything.

Does staying around mean he/she has no right to criticize and ask for more? What a passive-aggressive statement…

1 if the core game sold 3.5mio copies, HoT still has a VERY long way to go
2 WoW/blizzard did
3 wait for the nerfhammer, that should give a hint of the real situation
4 if i find , that a game has NOTHING for me, i wouldnt stay for 3 years, and hope for a change
i would simply find a game , more suited for my skills/preferences

So frustrated with HOT

battledrone.8315

I think the thing that happened was, they saw perhaps the majority of people liked the way silverwastes was handled (I at least did, I can be wrong in this). Sure, chest trains were a side effect, but the rest was to defend as best as they could and pop the event as fast as they could for the boss. It wasn’t perfect, but it was neat.

So for HoT, they decided to take that style, and merge it with a less popular style, the one at Southsun, which only really matters when a boss is going to spawn. Instead of players dictating when the boss event spawns, now its set on a hard timer, which…sucks. I really wish they left it in the hands of the players to decide.

if SW/DT were this popular , they wouldnt be in this situation
if they were, many more players would had stayed in game

So frustrated with HOT

Andulias.9516

1 if the core game sold 3.5mio copies, HoT still has a VERY long way to go
2 WoW/blizzard did
3 wait for the nerfhammer, that should give a hint of the real situation
4 if i find , that a game has NOTHING for me, i wouldnt stay for 3 years, and hope for a change
i would simply find a game , more suited for my skills/preferences

1. You don’t know that. And those 3.5 million are NOT all active, you do realize that?
2. No, they did not.
3. Nerfhammer? What the hell are you talking about?
4. When did anyone say the game had nothing for him? You are twisting words here, not cool.

(edited by Andulias.9516)

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Mullepuh.1084

Mullepuh.1084

So much this!
I mean I AM the kittening one who is playing the game, not this crappy game playing me!

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

@Vayne: You are absolutely correct. The last 2 of 3 times I went to DS were successful runs because I used the lfg to find an active run. Works very well when it’s used right…

… just call me … Tim :)

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Thamriyell.5490

Thamriyell.5490

Many other points have been made about the game and the direction HoT is taking it so I won’t repeat any of those, but I do certainly agree with reasons for frustration.

I’d like to add though, considering this is an expansion, it doesn’t feel like it really “expanded” on much of the world. Ideally, all we seemed to have gotten were 4 different flavors, or shades, of green jungle. Each had a different tint, shading, contrast, exposure, and color palette wasn’t exactly the same, but ideally was just 4 different filters of green jungle lands.

I have experienced expansions in other games and just from the setting’s perspective, I found it refreshing and nice when the expansions expanded on the world more rather than staying with same color or area. I got into WoW in the middle of Cata, and even then I appreciated the diverse zones, including Vashj’ir, no matter how annoying it was to teleport to them. It was nice to explore these new areas at the time. Wrath was considered very uniform, but if you look at each zone, you start noticing major differences between them, and that zone is known as the snow continent. In a way, I’d say its similar to the theme that HoT was going with, but personally felt it did well to diversify each zone so that it doesn’t feel like every zone looks like the last one. Even Pandaria or WoD, WoW’s most recent expansions, were very diverse, yet stay uniform and feel like they belong together. The expansions may not be the best and to each, their own, but I can certainly say that the zones had wide diversity while staying in unison. You have your mountains, swamps, dry steppes, forests, jungles, shores, and lush floral areas.

I can talk about FFXIV’s expansion, but I’d be repeating myself. Nevertheless, same point: uniform, but diverse from one another.

I get that they are trying to show that we are in the dangerous uninhabitable jungles, but its like getting the same meal with different seasonings. I don’t go to a restaurant to get 4 salads of same content with different dressing on top. I’d prefer personally a diverse course of meals. Salad is healthy, but I’d like a plate on baked potatoes, maybe a nice steak, and finish it off with a cheesecake at the end.

I am not saying they should have added snowy mountains or molten rock platforms for the sake of diversity, but a mountain area with a different filter would have been neat. Or maybe add a swampy area where its really murky and requires some swim mechanics or something.

(Sorry if I made someone hungry)

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

It’s more they merged Silverwastes with Dry Top (which, like the HoT maps, runs on a fixed timer).

What everyone loved about Silverwastes (other than the loot) was that instances progressed based on player action, which meant you could do the meta pretty much as much as you wanted.

So frustrated with HOT

Vayne.8563

It’s more they merged Silverwastes with Dry Top (which, like the HoT maps, runs on a fixed timer).

What everyone loved about Silverwastes (other than the loot) was that instances progressed based on player action, which meant you could do the meta pretty much as much as you wanted.

The issue with the Silverwastes as is was the number of leechers. People could jump from finished instanced to finished instance, and some poor kitten like me would be doing the events to push the meta, and everyone else was getting a free ride.

The idea of making all the metas at the same time was that people couldn’t map hop and it would minimize leeching. Not to say people still don’t leech, but that was probably the reason for the change.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

The issue with the Silverwastes as is was the number of leechers. People could jump from finished instanced to finished instance, and some poor kitten like me would be doing the events to push the meta, and everyone else was getting a free ride.

The idea of making all the metas at the same time was that people couldn’t map hop and it would minimize leeching. Not to say people still don’t leech, but that was probably the reason for the change.

The participation levels are the answer to leeching, or could be if they worked properly and actually produced easily recognisable results. The timers are just a superfluous nuisance.

LFG should not be the answer but a temporary workaround that has been required to be used for far too long.

And it’s utterly insufficient and prone to behave in a manner that causes frustration and lock-outs.

Join a party that becomes unjoinable before your request is resolved? Lose as much as 10 seconds before your LFG UI unlocks again, and to make matters worse, that join attempt counts against the “you joined too many parties” lock out. Joining parties that try to taxi you into a full world? Another mark.

It’s all too easy to miss out on a once-every-two-hour opportunity because of this dreadful system.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

It’s all too easy to miss out on a once-every-two-hour opportunity because of this dreadful system.

It’s also really simple to use a timer site and get to the event you want early. Organised maps set up at least ten minutes early, that’s what being organised means.

There are other issues with lfg and parties and groups I’m sure but being on time is a player issue.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

So frustrated with HOT

Manasa Devi.7958

It’s also really simple to use a timer site and get to the event you want early. Organised maps set up at least ten minutes early, that’s what being organised means.

There are other issues with lfg and parties and groups I’m sure but being on time is a player issue.

So your position is that the game is indeed not providing useful tools to make it accessible? Thank you for agreeing with me.

Sadly, your attitude is why ANet doesn’t fix their game. When players accept being burdened with finding extraneous solutions to glaring issues, there’s no motivation to make things better.

So frustrated with HOT

Vayne.8563

So your position is that the game is indeed not providing useful tools to make it accessible? Thank you for agreeing with me.

Sadly, your attitude is why ANet doesn’t fix their game. When players accept being burdened with finding extraneous solutions to glaring issues, there’s no motivation to make things better.

Internet sites like Dulfy and the Wiki are a fact of life Anet is smart not to ignore. However, even without using those sites, it’s easy enough to hang out in a zone until the meta starts, and then you know when it starts.

It’s like saying I won’t pick up drops if I don’t have autoloot. The ways to get the information are out there. People who refuse to use them are just being stubborn.

The bottom line is it’s not hard to find the schedule for any zone, one way or another. It’s not massively convenient, but it’s not massively inconvenient either.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Since when does one without auto-loot need to go to a third party site to pick up their drops?

So frustrated with HOT

Manasa Devi.7958

About that auto-loot…

Sure, I’d pick up my loot if I didn’t have that. I always did.

But there’s a game mode that doesn’t use it: WvW. That will definitely keep me from playing it again if they don’t introduce it there when other reasons not to play it are taken away (and there are plenty).

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I agree with Vayne that it’s not a biggie but it is a bit daft that players have to resort to a combination of external websites and the lfg tool just to be able to play the normal content. And it leads to crazy side-effects like people being abused in chat for daring to be in a map when they are not participating in the event. I’ve seen a very, um, “passionate” flame war between someone who wanted to coordinate the meta event and someone who was running an HP train. Both seemed to think that they had the right to dictate the whole map.

I’m also sure that the heavy lfg usage on those maps is one of the reasons that the megaserver does not work so well in HoT. The megaserver is trying to keep maps populated but a sizeable proportion of the players are using lfg to hop between the map instances.

So frustrated with HOT

Manasa Devi.7958

Internet sites like Dulfy and the Wiki are a fact of life Anet is smart not to ignore. However, even without using those sites, it’s easy enough to hang out in a zone until the meta starts, and then you know when it starts.

It’s like saying I won’t pick up drops if I don’t have autoloot. The ways to get the information are out there. People who refuse to use them are just being stubborn.

The bottom line is it’s not hard to find the schedule for any zone, one way or another. It’s not massively convenient, but it’s not massively inconvenient either.

It’s not hard, but I shouldn’t have to do it, and as often as not, those websites will dissuade me from logging on in the first place because what I want to do won’t be available for longer than I care for.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: mallas.9836

mallas.9836

Diablo 3 yo

Seriously though I play solo. I don’t mind having to group to do a huge dragon. If you want a solo game play a solo. You can’t solo old world boss or dungeons (mostly) so why is this such a complaint now?

So frustrated with HOT

Vayne.8563

Since when does one without auto-loot need to go to a third party site to pick up their drops?

I think you missed the point of the analogy.

The solution exists. Whether it exists in game or on a website is a moot point. The point is you don’t have to do it every day. If you’re looking for something that runs every two hours, you look at it once, you right down a single point, particularly easy if you play roughly the same times every day, and you figure it out.

Or you take one minute to check before you log in.

Making it sound like this is so inconvenient the content isn’t playable is a massive overstatement in my opinion.

So frustrated with HOT

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I got the point. Just don’t agree with it.

The solution exists. Whether it exists in game or on a website is a moot point.

Its moot to you. Perhaps even to some others. It is apparently a point of some significance to others.

Making it sound like this is so inconvenient the content isn’t playable is a massive overstatement in my opinion.

I haven’t seen this. Huge difference between unplayable and undesirable IMO.

So frustrated with HOT

Vayne.8563

I got the point. Just don’t agree with it.

The solution exists. Whether it exists in game or on a website is a moot point.

Its moot to you. Perhaps even to some others. It is apparently a point of some significance to others.

I haven’t seen this. Huge difference between unplayable and undesirable IMO.

Simple semantics. This thread is about being frustrated with HoT. People are saying they can’t finish metas or they’re in empty maps. The solution is a 1 minute solution. Sure it’s not perfect. No one ever claimed it’s not perfect.

But some people are making it sound like it’s much harder than it actually is. It’s quite simple to tab out, look up times, or look them up before you start playing, and it’s not that hard to look for a group., particularly now that you can put search criteria in LFG, which is an improvement over how it was a month ago.

If people want to do the meta events they can. If this mild inconvenience is going to stop them, I’m pretty sure no MMO is going to suit them.

We know that Anet is working on mega server issues. They can’t fix them faster than they can fix them because it’s a large undertaking. It’s not like Anet has said they’re doing nothing about this and, in the mean time, there’s a working solution.