Some Of Us Are Truly Entitled To HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: XeoShock.7094

XeoShock.7094

For everyone that bought an account between the time HoT was announced and the time HoT pre-purchase was available, I’m sure most of us were under the impression that we needed the core game to then own HoT due to the FAQ for HoT. This is the reason we bought the core game.

Since HoT pre-purchase was available, the FAQ was changed to clean up contradictions and to invite new players to the GW2 community, but as the past day has been seen by many on the forums, this decision came at a cost.

I am just wondering why the group of people that bought accounts between the time HoT was announced and the time HoT pre-purchase was available have not been offered HoT. Is this not an understandable and fair claim?

It’s actually not too late for Anet to turn around and fix this problem, are they not able to force refund all purchases since HoT pre-purchase was available and rework the situation? I expected better from this company above all others and would like them to prove me wrong if I say, they are as sleazy and cheap as all the other MMO companies out there.

FAQs…

Lest We Forget

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Those of you who bought when they had the FAQS up stating that you would need the base game to play HoT do have a moral case. Possibly even a legal one. The number of jurisdictions that GW2 sells in means that it could be a legal nightmare for them if they don’t act soon. I am pretty sure that in Australia the ACCC could slap them with abig fine for that sort of thing.

Those like me who have had the game for years only have jealousy as an excuse to complain.

XeoShock.7094

Even for the vets in terms of fairness, I don’t understand how Anet didn’t see this all coming?

FAQs…

Lest We Forget

Posted by: Wilroc.5428

Wilroc.5428

I would like to add that I bought an account for my brother. Good thing I got it when it was on sale! Had I known that the expansion would include the base game and cost $50 I never would have gotten it for him. I woulda just waited and got HoT for him. Goodness, this is dumb.

Posted by: Wilroc.5428

Wilroc.5428

Or maybe I woulda just been impatient anyway… hard to say, I am dumb like that sometimes when it comes to being wise with money. Still though, it’s annoying. Again, good this it was cheap when I got it for him.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, you are saying ArenaNet should give a free copy of Heart of Thorns to everyone that purchased GW2 at the $10.00 discounted price?

I don’t see that happening.

XeoShock.7094

Some of us (including me and my brother) didn’t get the game for $10, my point is that if the FAQ wasn’t subject to contradictions and change, many newish players would be happier to know that they got their moneys worth, but that is not the case.

FAQs…

Lest We Forget

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Whatever your point is, I don’t see ArenaNet giving away Heart of Thorns to purchasers who paid only $10 or $20 dollars for the core game.

You may suggest some kind of remuneration, but it won’t be a free expansion.

XeoShock.7094

Whatever your point is, I don’t see ArenaNet giving away Heart of Thorns to purchasers who paid only $10 or $20 dollars for the core game.

You may suggest some kind of remuneration, but it won’t be a free expansion.

This is a good point, but it doesn’t change the fact that the group I’m referring to was basically ripped off by Anet.

FAQs…

Lest We Forget

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

You do have a valid case, and it’s one I supported in other threads. However, according to the old FAQ, you would need the base game to be able to buy and play HoT, not that you would get it for free.

So, asking for a discount to the $45 HoT price equal to the amount you paid for GW2 is fair (provided the purchase occurred within a certain time frame that Anet will have to determine).

However, they seem to be willing to handle this differently, and it’s not a nice way at all.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

As much as I hate the price, no one is entitled to anything.

XeoShock.7094

If you guys need to know I paid $40 USD for the core which was ~$52 AUD. I’m not asking for the expansion 100% free because I didn’t pay $50 USD for the core, this indicates that we should get the expansion, in the case nothing is added to it, for a discount of what we payed solely on the basis the FAQ was contradicted.

FAQs…

Lest We Forget

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

Send in a support ticket maybe. I’ve heard that some people who purchased the game within the last 30 days gets a refund/upgrade to the Standard. I don’t think it hurts to send in a ticket.

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

XeoShock.7094

Send in a support ticket maybe. I’ve heard that some people who purchased the game within the last 30 days gets a refund/upgrade to the Standard. I don’t think it hurts to send in a ticket.

It has been a month and a half since I bought the core and would’t really like to restart my account over something that I couldn’t control, and was cheated of. The change to the FAQ really hit buyers hard, I can’t stress this enough.

FAQs…

Lest We Forget

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I am pretty sure that in Australia the ACCC could slap them with abig fine for that sort of thing.

LOL the ACCC are powerless to do anything to anybody except write them a condemnation letter.

Posted by: Stochastic.1398

Stochastic.1398

Same thing happened to me. They need to offer an upgrade option for recent purchasers along with a discount for older accounts.

At the moment we have been straight up ripped off.

Posted by: SeanBlader.7246

SeanBlader.7246

If I was Arena, I’d refund you your purchase price of GW2 and lose you as a customer rather than let you think you were entitled to all the years of effort they spent on the expansion. But what do I know, I’m a software developer, not a lawyer or customer service agent.

Cormac.3871

I am pretty sure that in Australia the ACCC could slap them with abig fine for that sort of thing.

LOL the ACCC are powerless to do anything to anybody except write them a condemnation letter.

The ACCC is surprisingly powerful when it comes to handing out fines. I remember them fining Target for voicing an ad “20% off every stitch of clothing” but having in small text on the screen “socks and underwear excluded”. Googling finds dozens of examples, here is one I found at random: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/accc-fines-iinet-204000-over-broadband-fine-print-20150303-13tdq4.html

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

Those of you who bought when they had the FAQS up stating that you would need the base game to play HoT do have a moral case. Possibly even a legal one. The number of jurisdictions that GW2 sells in means that it could be a legal nightmare for them if they don’t act soon. I am pretty sure that in Australia the ACCC could slap them with abig fine for that sort of thing.

Those like me who have had the game for years only have jealousy as an excuse to complain.

You have no clue what you’re talking about. Read your terms and conditions when you pre-purchase the game.

Posted by: dml.9764

dml.9764

It actually isn’t illegal. They could easily say they changed their mind at the last minute and it would just be a waste of time and money to go to court.

Posted by: Stochastic.1398

Stochastic.1398

Explain how?

I don’t mind paying the difference since I got the game for cheaper, but I shouldn’t need to pay an additional 50 since I bought the game a week ago.

The whole thing is absurd and poorly thoughtout.

Cormac.3871

You have no clue what you’re talking about. Read your terms and conditions when you pre-purchase the game.

Obviously not, I thought that terms and conditions did not trump false or misleading advertising, but since you are obviously an expert in Australian consumer law I will defer to your wisdom.

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

Thank you OP for being one of the only people on this forum who understands what “entitled” truly means.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

I believe this belongs here and should be seen, this is the compensation regarding the faq change fiasco: Sweet, sweet compensation

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

So, you are saying ArenaNet should give a free copy of Heart of Thorns to everyone that purchased GW2 at the $10.00 discounted price?

Not free, no, but an offer to upgrade to HoT version by paying the difference? Yes, that would be a good option.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Not free, no, but an offer to upgrade to HoT version by paying the difference? Yes, that would be a good option.

Implementing it will be a bear for accounts started with purchases through venues not directly under ArenaNet’s control, but its a reasonable goal.

Lets hope they can figure something like this out.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

? That doesn’t even make sense, Do you even know what people are complaining about?