Stavemaster Adryn

Stavemaster Adryn

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Lucent.8906

Lucent.8906

Is this boss working as intended? You just randomly lose health, and he can drain my health from full to 0 in less than a sec. There is absolutely no indication as to when and where the attacks happen, nor is there any animation for the attacks. I tried watching his movements and listening to what he says, but there’s just no pattern. All of my allies just die within a few sec. as well. I was only able to beat him by repeatedly respawning and re-engaging. This is the boss for the mission “The Jungle Provides” if you choose to defend the Itzel village, btw.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Sialor.7396

Sialor.7396

Were you fighting at melee? She fires a slow moving vortex that sucks you in and drains your HP so you have to stay at range and avoid it (or destroy the projectile). But yeah, that wasn’t a fun fight.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Katiekaboom.1980

Katiekaboom.1980

How can you destroy those projectile portals? They hurt bad! Also isn’t Adryn a HE?

But I think what makes him so over powered is his cool downs. They are too short. He seems to be able to attack faster than you can even place an attack. However it is actually not at a ridiculous pace as this game places a lot of importance on dodging and that mechanism is used a lot here. He does have sayings that indicate which attack he will do such as “the portal” he says “Gaze into nightmare” (Dimensional Blast) and “Power to Consume!” for the Soul Rip.

You can set up your chat to show you the damage done so that you can review what damage hurts you the most and what skills of your worked best against him. That is what I did to learn he is susceptible to conditions and to reflects.

It seems that if everyone around you dies you are screwed but this is not true as this CAN be soloed. But if you want you CAN get a chance to rez (resurrect) 1 or 2 of the fallen NPC’s to aid you but you have to be tactical about it. Dodge when he speaks and keep an eye on him and rez in spurts. You will not have enough time to just stay by a player or NPC and rez them. Do not be in close quarters with Stavemaster Adryn so that you can dodge and back away from his attacks but be aware of areas where you may fall to your death if not careful. He does NOT seem to be a fast walker so distance is your friend. His portal however has a very long distance and can seem to follow you but seems to miss the farther away you are if you go off centre.

If you do NOT see the portal you might have a graphical problem or a corrupt file. Not sure but the game does have a -repair function. However you should submit a ticket to Anet about this problem as you should see the portal as clear as day.

I might create a page on the wiki (yes I have an account and have added stuff but never made a page before) as I have just beat him. I figured it out. Dodging (I accidentally dodged off the edge once but good thing I have a glider and was able to get back up without him resetting). I also was able to run past him and rez 1 npc (lbli .. the son of Kaana Tiatli) which helped act as distraction so that I could stun Stavemaster Adryn which worked quite well. I also took screenshots of 2 of his sayings as he says (which is typical of all bosses at the 3/4 mark and the 1/2 mark and sometimes the 1/4 mark) sayings.

At the end of defeating him you unlock a new skin of your choosing from the Bladed Headgear Box:

They are ACCOUNT BOUND until you wear it then it becomes SOUL BOUND. So if you do not like the look you can grab one you cannot wear and save it for an alternate character but cannot sell it on the Trading Post.

Others are having a hard time beating him as well (Example #1 & #2) but I hope that my tips help you are someone else.

Attachments:

Is HOT up to your expectations or geared toward one type of player?
HOT is NOT for the Casual (My Sentiments exactly)

(edited by Katiekaboom.1980)

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: WILDCARD.7360

WILDCARD.7360

Still trying to beat this guy. The boss itself isn’t particularly hard but the LEVEL DESIGN IS ABSOLUTELY kittenING BULLkitten! The attacks arent’ that hard to evade using the dodge skill, but there is NO kittenING ROOM TO DODGE without falling off the level. Bullkitten level design.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

Stay clear or his aoe attacks, especially the CC orb, and attack ranged.
I’ve beaten him first time, I didn’t see that much threat

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

(edited by Gaaroth.2567)

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Faab.8049

Faab.8049

Hmm, I don’s see the big problem either. Beat it on the first try during opening weekend, so if anything was nerfed after that it should have become easier.
Stay at range, dodge the black hole and keep pounding. Stay on the large center platform and move to the opposite end from the boss to give yourself more room.
Sure you can die from that attack but then you res and you continue. Your friends keep it engaged in combat so should be no health regen.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Adryn is easy. Throw a bottle of poison (they spawn around him) on him when he gets a break bar. Deal tons of bonus damage. Easy kill.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Still trying to beat this guy. The boss itself isn’t particularly hard but the LEVEL DESIGN IS ABSOLUTELY kittenING BULLkitten! The attacks arent’ that hard to evade using the dodge skill, but there is NO kittenING ROOM TO DODGE without falling off the level. Bullkitten level design.

You may not realize this but it doesn’t really matter where you dodge. Dodge gives you invulnerability. Dodging against a wall or into the boss is the same as dodging away. It might seem counter-intuitive, but sometimes you have to dodge into or through an attack to save yourself.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I may just be used to the version of Adryn that you fight in dragon’s stand, but those orbs dealt next to no damage to my full zerk reaper. Like 11-12 damage per tick. Stability is completely useless against them though.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

In story mode his vortex deals a lot more damage. It instant downs my chars if I dont dodge (or sidestep)

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Adryn can be beaten fairly easily by just running in circles around him while cleaving or dropping DoT effects like bombs. He fires his mega-damaging vortex at a location where you were a split second ago. If you keep moving, his attack will thus always miss.

You could also try fighting him on a platform with a different elevation, since I believe (but have not tested) his vortex attack fires in a straight horizontal line and does not move up or down.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

He is strangely, and considerably, more difficult than the Tizlak path. I was very confused when I chose to defend the village and came upon him, as I had only encountered him prior in Dragon’s Stand.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Adryn is easy. Throw a bottle of poison (they spawn around him) on him when he gets a break bar. Deal tons of bonus damage. Easy kill.

This. With 2 people you can kill him amazingly quickly if one throws poison while the other damages him. My first solo try I kept dying and then noticed the poison. Once I started throwing those at him it was surprisingly easy to solo.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

This boss is one of the million examples of how completely god kitten incompetent Arenanet is and why droves of people are constantly leaving this game. It makes no sense whatsoever. He OHKOs all of your allies immediately, OHKO’s you with an untelegraphed attack and then when you try to get range to avoid it he just regenerates his health.

The only way to really beat him is to constantly move around in melee range and wail on him for about 15 minutes, and you’re still likely to die numerous times during the process. What’s more is that there’s nothing in the game that points you points you in this direction so it’s not a matter of strategic learning, just getting lucky or reading the forums.

Completely god kitten kittened like about 60% of the rest of the game.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I really don’t get you guys…. The boss was actually one of the coolest ones I have seen in this game. I absolutely love his black hole attack. He was also easily defeatable. You just have to move. Pretty simplistic. You are already playing one of the easiest MMOs out there, please don’t ask ArenaNet to nerf primitively easy boss fight.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I really don’t get you guys…. The boss was actually one of the coolest ones I have seen in this game. I absolutely love his black hole attack. He was also easily defeatable. You just have to move. Pretty simplistic. You are already playing one of the easiest MMOs out there, please don’t ask ArenaNet to nerf primitively easy boss fight.

You’re talking to people who complained about the great invinci-box nerf on the Golem MK II world boss. Obviously moving around to avoid damage is a tricky concept to a large number of people.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Your condescension is misplaced. The problem is that the game gives you no indicator whatsoever of what you should do to avoid attacks like this, so there’s very little iterative learning without reading about strategy on the forums. Some people get lucky and get it right early on, some people don’t and die over and over again trying to figure out if they need to try staying at range or engaging in melee, how much they should be trying to res their allies that were killed in one-hit vs how much they should try to tank and solo, etc.

Don’t forget that excessive, pointless moving is actually often not a good thing in a lot of MMOs and doesn’t really make a lot of intuitive sense.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I didn’t find the fight difficult either. The black hole doesn’t have much of a telegraph, but you can dodge even after it appears and it won’t hit you.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: DryHumour.1307

DryHumour.1307

I just did this for the first time (and hadn’t read any strategy online). I was hit and downed by the very first orb in the first couple of seconds. Fair enough — “Dodge the orb”. I used Bandage and the instant I stood up I got the orb in the face again (despite hammering on Dodge). Downed. Rinse and repeat a total of four times. I guess I should be grateful he only interrupted my Bandage channel once?

In the meantime, the NPCs were plinking away at his health and come the fourth time, I was lucky enough to be able to dodge away on recovery and finish his last 10% or so ranged without him casting another orb. As a result, there certainly wasn’t any time to “learn” how the fight worked since I was downed for over 80% of it without ever getting a chance to actually do anything.

Not a great design IMO. In hindsight, I probably would have gotten more out of it if I had just let him kill me so I could rez at (presumably) a comfortable range :-P

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I just did this for the first time (and hadn’t read any strategy online). I was hit and downed by the very first orb in the first couple of seconds. Fair enough — “Dodge the orb”. I used Bandage and the instant I stood up I got the orb in the face again (despite hammering on Dodge). Downed. Rinse and repeat a total of four times. I guess I should be grateful he only interrupted my Bandage channel once?

In the meantime, the NPCs were plinking away at his health and come the fourth time, I was lucky enough to be able to dodge away on recovery and finish his last 10% or so ranged without him casting another orb. As a result, there certainly wasn’t any time to “learn” how the fight worked since I was downed for over 80% of it without ever getting a chance to actually do anything.

Not a great design IMO. In hindsight, I probably would have gotten more out of it if I had just let him kill me so I could rez at (presumably) a comfortable range :-P

There’s no way the NPC’s did 80% of the fight.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Yeah, the problem with the orb attack is that it’s actually wide enough to nail you even if you dodge to the side (the only way to avoid it is to dodge straight into it, which is unintuitive at best). Well, that and the tiny platform you have to fight him on.

They really should move Adryn over to the Tizlak path, both because it makes more sense thematically and because there’s a lot more room to maneuver there.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Your condescension is misplaced. The problem is that the game gives you no indicator whatsoever of what you should do to avoid attacks like this, so there’s very little iterative learning without reading about strategy on the forums. Some people get lucky and get it right early on, some people don’t and die over and over again trying to figure out if they need to try staying at range or engaging in melee, how much they should be trying to res their allies that were killed in one-hit vs how much they should try to tank and solo, etc.

Don’t forget that excessive, pointless moving is actually often not a good thing in a lot of MMOs and doesn’t really make a lot of intuitive sense.

Well, I don’t know. I was probably lucky that I was enjoying my new-found weapon – longbow on dragon hunter, so I automatically went max range, circling the boss, stepping right and left to avoid those little orbs he spawns and that black hole attack is definitely dodgeable. I don’t say I didn’t die, but actually had fun. It doesn’t take a genius to realize that you can’t melee a boss that spreads dozens of slow moving missiles in 360 degree circle around him. Every RPG is supposed to have challenging bosses like this one, and HoT is about learning from dying.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Well, I don’t know. I was probably lucky that I was enjoying my new-found weapon – longbow on dragon hunter, so I automatically went max range, circling the boss, stepping right and left to avoid those little orbs he spawns and that black hole attack is definitely dodgeable. I don’t say I didn’t die, but actually had fun. It doesn’t take a genius to realize that you can’t melee a boss that spreads dozens of slow moving missiles in 360 degree circle around him. Every RPG is supposed to have challenging bosses like this one, and HoT is about learning from dying.

Except this one is bugged, instant kill attack and sometimes the animation is delayed so you can’t properly dodge it.

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

…and HoT is about learning from dying.

I don’t remember that tag line from the adverts but now that you mention it, yeah, it fits ;p

Stavemaster Adryn

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

The way to kill Adryn is this;

The Orb is physical so if you stand in a spot that has a gap between you and him, it will drop to the forest floor without making it to you. Stand on a catwalk or other platform so that the orb would have to cross an air gap to reach you.

You can almost afk him doing this.

Mesmerising Girl