Stronghold, not GvG afterall

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-stronghold/

Doesn’t seem this is tuned for GvG afterall, kind of a disappointment really. Looks like they’re just aiming to make a new PvP mode for the already PvP based community since conquest isn’t working. Lamesauce. Thoughts anyone?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I think most people already know that, because that’s how G1 works.

I kind of hope for a battle where the entire guild can participate myself. So I am disappointed. But on the other hand, everyone knows how popular MOBA is. And having a new pvp mode which ressembled MOBA is quite cool.

Also I think the ability to register as a guild and rank a team is quite cool. That’s not previously done very well before.

I doubt I’m good enough to make the cut for my guild’s stronghold team. But I’m sure I’ll be cheering on them. I hope a guild’s can register multiple team also so more people can participate.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I would say it sounds rather much like GvG.

But I assume you are talking about the BvB that people have created in this game and have decided to call GvG?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Thanks captain obvious. They meant guild wars 1 version of gvg, not that noobfest you called GvG in guild wars 2.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

laokoko.7403

But I assume you are talking about the BvB that people have created in this game and have decided to call GvG?

I don’t even know what you mean. As I dont’ play GW1.

I think he means a fight where the entire guild can participates and not just 5-10 of the 500 people in the guild.

I have no idea how the stronghold or ranking system will work. So it’s a bit early to say. I hope that it is something everyone in the guild can participates, and not only 5-10 of the best people in the guild can participates and hope no other people join so it won’t bring down the ranking.

That being said, the things they said will be in the expansion already blow my mind. Having a large battle where the entire guild can participate would be cool. But I’m not let down because there is so much things coming in expansion already.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

BvB as in Blob vs Blob, the system that a miniscule part of the community have started in WvW and claimed the name GvG for.

My post was directed specifically to the OP though.

The guild vs guild system in GW1 didn’t allow the whole guild to participate at once either, and yet it is regarded one of the best PvP modes every by some people.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

BvB as in Blob vs Blob, the system that a miniscule part of the community have started in WvW and claimed the name GvG for.

My post was directed specifically to the OP though.

The guild vs guild system in GW1 didn’t allow the whole guild to participate at once either, and yet it is regarded one of the best PvP modes every by some people.

This is quite true, My first guild in GW1 was full active guild and we GVG quite a bit, and as such we had to rotate players in and out if they wanted to participate

Truly dont know what people where expecting here when the first games GvG didnt allow entire guilds to do it.

And i quote "Guild versus Guild, also known as GvG or Guild Battle, is a strategic form of PvP which matches two teams of eight players from different guilds against each other in the Guild Halls. The core objective of the combat is to kill the opposition’s NPC Guild Lord before the opposition does the same to your Guild Lord. "

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_versus_Guild

So at most you could have 16 people in one GvG game, 32 counting the enemy guild.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

They gave you a place in obsidian sanctum, you can play there.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

Blob vs Blob Smashface Extravaganza is not GvG.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

I also prefer Arena Net’s approach, that way guilds that don’t define themselves by the number of players they have, but rather the quality won’t be at a disadvantage.
That being said, i do hope its 8v8 at least, so it becomes a bit “larger” than normal SPvP, which would be fit for GvG. Other than that, they did say they want guilds to start having a role in the game, something that’s kinda blurred atm. So with guild halls and whatnot, lets see how this plays.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

That sounds pretty much like GW2’s version of GvG. It’s a very tactical game, and so it requires a bit more coordination and more combat roles. Something that will work neatly for a guild to show how well they know each other an work together.

So you can’t win must by running around in circles on a capture point like headless chickens, and can’t win by forming a swarm like brainless insects and see who can stay together better and spam more skills and stack more effects in less time.

Now, the thing is how many players will this mode take by default. It it’s 8, we may get people going all out together on the offense line and just push that, and that may work and it’ll be undesirable, so it may be better to reduce it. I guess they’ll have to find the sweetspot in which people properly split between the lanes and have 1-2 players roaming.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

more door bashing and lord killing… much disappoint.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Nothing to stop guild team members from forming their own guild/team while still remaining to the parent one.

They might even beat their main guild’s premier team.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

laokoko.7403

I’m personally very excited about stronghold.

That being said if I say it’ll be cool to have 20vs20, 50vs50, or even 100vs100. I hope people wont’ discredit it and say it’ll be totally boring. I played a few games with those, and it is actually quite fun.

I listened to an interview by Colin and he mentioned about it. Talking how wvw is the large scale combat, spvp is the small group fight. He’s thinking about some middle sized fight himself.

That being said, it’s probably too hard to do it in the context of guild since there is too big of variation on guild size and activities. It probably have to be similar to EOTM but with a bit more depth.

Anyway, I can’t wait for the expansion, strong hold, and the new specialization.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

They never called it GvG once though. They called it a new pvp mode, so exactly why people thought it was GvG is beyond me.

All of this argument about GvG really just comes down to semantics. GvG is just guild versus guild. It doesn’t specify anything about how they fight, but that they compete against each other in some format. To nostalgic spvp gw1 players, its the old GvG. To the WvW commnunity, its modern GvG.

Its really stupid for people to argue back and forth about what GvG really is. Whether its 5v5, 8v8, or 20v20, because there is pvp involved, it is something that will take skill. Because players fight each other, they evolve their skills and strategies, and it progresses.

No one who has participated in a high tier GvG in gw2 would say it takes no skill. End of argument.

(edited by SkylightMoon.1980)

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

In GW1 GvG was a 5vs5 type of map with some PvE in it.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I think they said that the Stronghold will be tied to the GvG leaderboard, but I’m not sure.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

They never called it GvG once though. They called it a new pvp mode, so exactly why people thought it was GvG is beyond me.

All of this argument about GvG really just comes down to semantics. GvG is just guild versus guild. It doesn’t specify anything about how they fight, but that they compete against each other in some format. To nostalgic spvp gw1 players, its the old GvG. To the WvW commnunity, its modern GvG.

Its really stupid for people to argue back and forth about what GvG really is. Whether its 5v5, 8v8, or 20v20, because there is pvp involved, it is something that will take skill. Because players fight each other, they evolve their skills and strategies, and it progresses.

No one who has participated in a high tier GvG in gw2 would say it takes no skill. End of argument.

The announcement detailed this new mode as a GvG. Guilds register on a leaderboard and compete against one another. That would be why people are calling it GvG.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

In GW1 GvG was a 5vs5 type of map with some PvE in it.

It was 8v8 and it had similar amount of PvE as DoTA, LoL, etc.

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

The announcement detailed this new mode as a GvG. Guilds register on a leaderboard and compete against one another. That would be why people are calling it GvG.

No, see, you’re confused. Stronghold was announced as a new PvP format, but immediately afterwards, they announced that guilds would be able to register for a leaderboard to show who are the best of the best. Because they were announced back to back, people erroneously assumed the two were linked.

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

I kind of hope for a battle where the entire guild can participate myself. So I am disappointed. But on the other hand, everyone knows how popular MOBA is. And having a new pvp mode which ressembled MOBA is quite cool.

Also I think the ability to register as a guild and rank a team is quite cool. That’s not previously done very well before.

I doubt I’m good enough to make the cut for my guild’s stronghold team. But I’m sure I’ll be cheering on them. I hope a guild’s can register multiple team also so more people can participate.

This game doesnt have skill based to be moba… because you are not punished to waste big cooldown enough…. i want old GvG back to have something to do… i hate that stronghold is not what we PvP players desire so much for SO LONG.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

This game doesnt have skill based to be moba… because you are not punished to waste big cooldown enough…. i want old GvG back to have something to do… i hate that stronghold is not what we PvP players desire so much for SO LONG.

GW1 GvG would not be the same experience when copy pasted into gw2. If you think that, you don’t realize just how different both games are.
We can only hope that stronghold will be a fun successor to GW1 GvG.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

No, see, you’re confused. Stronghold was announced as a new PvP format, but immediately afterwards, they announced that guilds would be able to register for a leaderboard to show who are the best of the best. Because they were announced back to back, people erroneously assumed the two were linked.

Currently the only way to GvG in an instance is custom arenas. Adding the ability to have ranked GvG matches, even in the old maps is a good idea. So even if they aren’t calling it GvG, it will be nice to have a reliable way to organize GvG in the game.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

What you call GvG is not what GvG in gw1 was. It had an objective not to just go and farm bags in a blob vs another blob. Based on information known about stronghold its fairly similar to the original GvG just sayin.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Rincewind.1207

Rincewind.1207

Having read the announcement of the PvP designer I was deeply disappointed ! I always believed Guild Wars was a unique game ! An epic game , with incredible GvG fights 8 vs 8 and a successful Guild Ladder System ! Excellent map , excellent win conditions winning conditions :

- Kill the enemy Guild Lord.
– Have all opposing players reach 60% Death Penalty.
– In the event that time runs out, the team with the most aggressiveness will be declared victorious.

Only one of these conditions has to be met for a match to end.

I know this is not Guild Wars but a totally different game which must support a TP and a way to make money ! But why , why take the Guild Wars name if there is no Guild vs Guild inside ?

John Corpening, PvP Team Lead for Guild Wars 2 revealed today something i was afraid of ! Guild Wars is not Dota , is not LOL !!!!! Its not BvB (blob vs blob) ,for me its not even WvW ! I was “raised” in my pvp online experience with HOH and GvG fights and I can’t accept another PvP failure from "Guild Wars 2 " ! I can accept defending a point , the Guild Lord ! I can accept having sieges to break through and defend ! I can accept no less than 8 players forming a team ! But what I cant accept is copying other games ! You get 2/4 DOTA , 1/4 LOL and 1/4 Guild Wars (I) and you ll form a fail pvp map because you use the same mind , you dont make something new ! I cant see it I am so sorry ! I was investing in GvG ladder ! Now I am heartbroken and so disappointed that I cant form a Guild Team ! They say to me: "Npcs in PVP ??? Fail from the start sorry , I ll try it but no promises ! "

I know Anet wont read this ! I know Mr Corpening will not bother to answer to a mere player like me ! I know Stronghold is already a reality ! But I also know that half of my PvP friends will go to PvE farming and the other half to WvW insanity !

Why ? Because you should find a way Guild fight its other , a unique idea ! A fight that no other game has ! A fight GUILD WARS HAD !!!!!!! You cant copy/paste it , Guild Wars 2 is a different game , it would be silly of me to think that Guild Wars epic fights can be remade here ! But find a way to make GvG count ! Strong hold is not the answer! Why ? 1) Its not a unique idea its a collage ! 2 ) Npcs in PVP? Really ?

Examine the Winning Conditions of GUILD WARS ! The answer is there !

We Seek Pride [WSP]
Hellenic Phallanx [HP]

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

Trucks and cars have engines and 4 tires so they are the same thing. That’s how i understood your comparison. You haven’t even played it yet, how can you say you don’t like it?

Rincewind.1207

Chicho Gosho , I hope I am wrong and interpreted Stronghold faulty ! I am just stating my point of view !

We Seek Pride [WSP]
Hellenic Phallanx [HP]

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

snip

Just relax, take a deep breath and start eating some muffins.

You feel better ? Good.

Now let’s start discussing :
- The actual guild wars name was chosen because of marketing reasons among many others. At the time it was released, it was one of the few massively multiplayer online game that feature a PvP mode that was specifically tailored to guild fights.
- As time passed, the team realised that PvE was by far the most popular game mode of the franchise. It’s lore rich setting and compelling story for a multiplayer game became the trademark for GW.
- GW Nightfall and GWEN, the lastests and most technically advanced additions to the original game were considered PvE oriented for this very reason.

In the end, Guild Wars turned from a GvG oriented MMO to an MMO telling the story of Tyria after the 2nd (or 3rd ? ) Guild War. This what some people have blissfully ignored since the release of GW2.

Let me tell you again : Guild Wars is not a franchise about GvG anymore. It is a franchise about Tyria after the guild wars. The playerbase of GW first of its name has spoken a long time ago about what its priority was.

Back on topic :
According to the info available about HoT, I firmly believe that Guilds will be able to register teams of players to compete between each other IN ALL DIFFERENT PVP MODES.

That means that Stronghold and Conquest will feature matches between guild indentified teams in the future. And matches between two guild teams that are ranked as guild teams (and not as a collection of individuals) can be considered GvG.

So you’ll have GvG on both conquest and stronghold.

Conclusion of my wall of text : What the hell are you complaining about ?

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

But why , why take the Guild Wars name if there is no Guild vs Guild inside ?

/le sigh

THAT’S NOT the reason of the name:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

John Corpening, PvP Team Lead for Guild Wars 2 revealed today something i was afraid of ! Guild Wars is not Dota , is not LOL !!!!! Its not BvB (blob vs blob) ,for me its not even WvW ! I was “raised” in my pvp online experience with HOH and GvG fights and I can’t accept another PvP failure from "Guild Wars 2 " ! I can accept defending a point , the Guild Lord ! I can accept having sieges to break through and defend ! I can accept no less than 8 players forming a team ! But what I cant accept is copying other games ! You get 2/4 DOTA , 1/4 LOL and 1/4 Guild Wars (I) and you ll form a fail pvp map because you use the same mind , you dont make something new ! I cant see it I am so sorry ! I was investing in GvG ladder ! Now I am heartbroken and so disappointed that I cant form a Guild Team ! They say to me: "Npcs in PVP ??? Fail from the start sorry , I ll try it but no promises ! "

Examine the Winning Conditions of GUILD WARS ! The answer is there !

We have to keep dreaming This one has some resemblances to the GW1 GvG, better wait until the map is released.

At least we’re getting a new game mode, who knows maybe in the future we will get a GvG map >.>

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

GvG existed in games long before GW1, In other games it was battles between hundreds of players prior to Guild wars 1 even being released. " Wars" are not between less than 10 people, and 5 isn’t even considered a skirmish in most games. I am not sure why they named Guild wars " guild wars" when it is one of the games that doesn’t actually have them. They didn’t invent the terms, they were already being used in mmorpgs long before Anet created GW1. GvG in other games usually have at least 40 vs 40, otherwise it is just considered pvp, not actual guild battles.

The idea that Anet invented the definition of " guild wars" is like saying they get to redefine what the word “hula hoop” means. People are going to expect to see a hula hoop if you say there is a hula hoop there. The title does not match the actual game content, sure try to make up for it with a cool back story that has nothing to do with gameplay, that doesn’t change people expecting to see actual guild wars in the game and feeling ripped off. LOL

At the time of release of GW1, Players were enjoying ACTUAL guild wars in other games, and the marketing of this game under that name led them to believe that was what they would receive here.

Zerging was not invented here, blobbing was not invented here, and neither is new to mmorpgs. Our guild was 600 players, broken down into 12 man teams with team leaders all on voice coms coordinating together and running formations and maneuvers. That is not blobbing, that is how you play a war. In Anet’s “Guild wars” you could not even get our guild into one guild in game, that is how small scale and limited it is by comparison. You are just not going to have that level of gameplay here with the current framework.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

The reason they’re not calling Stronghold GvG is for this very reason: players differ on the definition. Stronghold is staying loyal to the version in GW1, which was what GW1 players want.

GvG has existed in zerg vs. zerg for a lot longer, that’s true, but I’d imagine most of them makes use of existing systems and try to get around it. RuneScape, for instance, didn’t have a “Clan wars” arena until much later, and large scale clan fights were held in an open area where anyone could come in and break up the fight. Something similar, if organized, could be possible using WvW maps.

Stronghold shouldn’t necessarily be limited to only Guild teams and Guild leaderboards. The ranked version of it would probably require you to form a guild team, while the unranked version could be played as individuals or small parties. We’ll see based on the details revealed later on.

Rincewind.1207

VodCom.6924:
In the end, Guild Wars turned from a GvG oriented MMO to an MMO telling the story of Tyria after the 2nd (or 3rd ? ) Guild War. This what some people have blissfully ignored since the release of GW2.

This statement is the best I ve seen so far !

Why am I complaining ? Simple ! I play GW2 for 1 year and 3 months ! I had been playing GW for 3 years before i was forced to quit due to my work schedule ! I played gvg daily and enjoyed the Guild Ladder , I had a motive ! In GW2 I have no motive ! Thats my problem ! I dont need skins ! I dont need huge maps ! I am just saying they could do better than this ! Other players are achievement farmers , others are wvw players like to blob , others are pve farmers ! Some of us need the excitement of pvp mode ! The drama , the tension ! We need GvG in this game ! A structured ranked guild ladder system to compete with team builds not solo builds !

I am sorry to complain ! I ll try the new mode of course I hope i could prevent some things nevertheless ! But I am just one !

PS lil devils ….. Guild Wars was first to have a team based structured ladder , called gvg ladder ! Fights in open field is another thing ! They tried to do it in gw2 also but its not gvg , its not structured !

We Seek Pride [WSP]
Hellenic Phallanx [HP]

(edited by Rincewind.1207)

lil devils x.6071

VodCom.6924:

This statement is the best I ve seen so far !

Why am I complaining ? Simple ! I play GW2 for 1 year and 3 months ! I had been playing GW for 3 years before i was forced to quit due to my work schedule ! I played gvg daily and enjoyed the Guild Ladder , I had a motive ! In GW2 I have no motive ! Thats my problem ! I dont need skins ! I dont need huge maps ! I am just saying they could do better than this ! Other players are achievement farmers , others are wvw players like to blob , others are pve farmers ! Some of us need the excitement of pvp mode ! The drama , the tension ! We need GvG in this game ! A structured ranked guild ladder system to compete with team builds not solo builds !

I am sorry to complain ! I ll try the new mode of course I hope i could prevent some things nevertheless ! But I am just one !

PS lil devils ….. Guild Wars was first to have a team based structured ladder , called gvg ladder ! Fights in open field is another thing ! They tried to do it in gw2 also but its not gvg , its not structured !

What? Guild wars was not the first one to have rankings, brackets and tourneys for guilds, that was already happening when GW1 came out. Just building the system into the game itself doesn’t mean that is a better system. There were developer sponsored gvg brackets long before GW1, they just usually did these things manual and post it to site rather than using game resources to do so.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

Rincewind.1207

What? Guild wars was not the first one to have rankings, brackets and tourneys for guilds, that was already happening when GW1 came out.

Don’t care really who invented anything ! And manual doesnt count for me sry !

We Seek Pride [WSP]
Hellenic Phallanx [HP]

lil devils x.6071

What? Guild wars was not the first one to have rankings, brackets and tourneys for guilds, that was already happening when GW1 came out.

If it were not for them doing it manually to start, it would not exist at all now. LOL
However, I would rather them do it manual if it means we will have more actual playable content ( How about massive GVG battles like others have instead?!) since they are not wasting resources on things that can be done just as well via 3rd party program. Built in ladder system<<< Massive GVG battles. It simply is not as important, since you can hook up a 3rd party program to keep score as they frequently do as it is. With programs made as well as the intel site for the wvw maps, they may do the brackets better than if Anet makes it themselves.

You do not have to have these resources built into the game to be as effective or even more effective just like they have done for wvw:

( These intel maps: http://wvwintel.com/ ) just put in your server and it will verbally tell you when something is capped, and you can look at it to see which guild claimed it. Then of course we have this site as well for stats on the wvw servers : http://mos.millenium.org/na/matchups/ )

Sure it is nice to have it built in, but I just view that as a convenience, not a necessity, nor does it affect the actual game play.

WvW / PVP ONLY

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Even if they released an exact copy of GW1 GvG in GW2, GW1 players would still complain because “the classes are different so the balance isn’t right!” or whatever other insert"thisisntGW1"reasonhere

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

I find it hilarious that in one of the interviews, Colin said “we avoided the term GvG because there are two distinct GvG communities in GW2, that play very different games that they both call GvG, and they hate each other”

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Rincewind.1207

If it were not for them doing it manually to start, it would not exist at all now. LOL
However, I would rather them do it manual if it means we will have more actual playable content ( How about massive GVG battles like others have instead?!) since they are not wasting resources on things that can be done just as well via 3rd party program. Built in ladder system<<< Massive GVG battles. It simply is not as important, since you can hook up a 3rd party program to keep score as they frequently do as it is. With programs made as well as the intel site for the wvw maps, they may do the brackets better than if Anet makes it themselves.

You do not have to have these resources built into the game to be as effective or even more effective just like they have done for wvw:

( These intel maps: http://wvwintel.com/ ) just put in your server and it will verbally tell you when something is capped, and you can look at it to see which guild claimed it. Then of course we have this site as well for stats on the wvw servers : http://mos.millenium.org/na/matchups/ )

Sure it is nice to have it built in, but I just view that as a convenience, not a necessity, nor does it affect the actual game play.

Well , you act like some friends i have playing games which they pay monthly sth we dont do here! Well , i ll state 2 things ! First of all i dont talk about other games! I dont care about other games because i play GW! I want a gvg mode with a ladder! Dont care how it will be done! But i need 2 things , first of all same gear , same options for everyone, all unlocked for pvp mode , this is the only thing done succesful so far in gw2 pvp mode! No need to pve to compete! Second is a guild ladder and some maps to compete! Dont tell me about history i am old enough to know ! I rpged with a pencil and a paper ! We are discussing how we ll make gw2 better for pvpers here ! I mentioned some games earlier because gw2 pvp development team used them! In gw they made sth it didnt exist in game and they succeeded! That is so simple! So focus in gw2 ! I dont care who invented zerging or blobing! And i dont want large scale battles i wouldnt play gw man! GW has sth unique ! Gw2 must take the challenge and succeed!

We Seek Pride [WSP]
Hellenic Phallanx [HP]

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

I find it hilarious that in one of the interviews, Colin said “we avoided the term GvG because there are two distinct GvG communities in GW2, that play very different games that they both call GvG, and they hate each other”

I read that interview and lol’d. It’s true.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

lil devils x.6071

Well , you act like some friends i have playing games which they pay monthly sth we dont do here! Well , i ll state 2 things ! First of all i dont talk about other games! I dont care about other games because i play GW! I want a gvg mode with a ladder! Dont care how it will be done! But i need 2 things , first of all same gear , same options for everyone, all unlocked for pvp mode , this is the only thing done succesful so far in gw2 pvp mode! No need to pve to compete! Second is a guild ladder and some maps to compete! Dont tell me about history i am old enough to know ! I rpged with a pencil and a paper ! We are discussing how we ll make gw2 better for pvpers here ! I mentioned some games earlier because gw2 pvp development team used them! In gw they made sth it didnt exist in game and they succeeded! That is so simple! So focus in gw2 ! I dont care who invented zerging or blobing! And i dont want large scale battles i wouldnt play gw man! GW has sth unique ! Gw2 must take the challenge and succeed!

Guild wars is not the only game in the universe silly, we do compare it to the other games on the market, because that is the reality of the environment they compete in. If we want to keep guild wars going for many years, you HAVE to compare it or it will die. Of course we talk about other games, that is how we make improvements to games. I have played most of the games in existence, so of course I am going to put it on the scale and discuss the pros and cons to both systems. Openly discussing the good, the bad, and the ugly with games is how we get better games made.

GW opened the door to zerging and blobbing the second they brought in DAoC style gameplay. The box has been opened man, you can’t make it shut now. You don’t bring in DAoC gameplay without zerging. I do not see why they cannot have both, however. Many games allow for small scale and large scale gameplay, GW should be able to do that as well. Also people are not just " pvpers or wvwers" People often like to do both depending on their mood, and should be able to. The game should be improved for both styles, not just one or the other.

WvW / PVP ONLY

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

Pardon my ignorance, as someone who does not PvP much, but what are the two communities of GvG?

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Rashy.4165

Pardon my ignorance, as someone who does not PvP much, but what are the two communities of GvG?

One wants the same game mode from GW1: 8v8, Stronghold-style, kill Guild lord.
The other wants large scale (20v20, 30v30, etc) fights. These happen a lot in WvW or EotM. Not many games officially support this game mode and leave it up to the players to decide how they want to organize it.

Stronghold in GW2 is tentatively 5v5, but ArenaNet is testing up to 10v10. It’s likely they’ll find a balancing point somewhere in between.

BrunoBRS.5178

there are the GW1 GvG veterans, that want a game mode similar to what we’re getting with stronghold. they seem pretty happy with it, generally speaking. then there are the GW2 WvW players that formed their own “GvG”, which is an unofficial game mode where two guild pick 15 or so people and just go TDM on each other until one side is wiped. those guys are sour that “15v15 TDM” (or as they say, GvG, since it’s always within guildies) didn’t become an official mode.

i personally don’t get the point of the latter group, because they hate the limitations of sPvP (read: you can’t bring ascended stuff, mix and match stats, and use consumable buffs), and ANet already went out of their way to give them a big, large, flat arena for guilds to clash like they wanted (LoS and terrain advantage are also a no-no in the new GvG community, apparently), so i’m not sure i get what they want.

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

Well as you can see in this thread:

-The Old GW1 players who want a return to the traditional 8v8 GvG in Gw1 which involved killing the opposing team’s Guild lord. Stronghold is close but has a lot of tweaks which is why some praise the new mode and others can’t accept any new elements and lack of Death Penalties, flag stand, emphasis on team fights.

-The WvW-focused niche scene that has made giant 10v10, 20v20, blobvblob matches in open maps in WvW. These players hate low player counts and want Gw2 to stop focusing on 5v5 matches and make modes with higher player counts.

Personally I think Stronghold is developing as a good successor to GvG and despite the few elements missing/added it looks close enough to GW1’s GvG but far enough to fit within GW2’s new combat system.

As for the WvW GvG scene. Personally I’ve always wondered what edge of the mists would be like if you could create a private instance of it and throw a bunch of rival guilds in (technically you could try and do it with the taxi system) but I don’t think Anet will develop anything specifically for them. They’re a lot more niche they then realize as well.

Retired Leader of TTS

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I think it sounds very much like GvG. Though remember I’m talking about the actual GvG matchups from GW1. The blob battles that take place in WvW is just a joke in my opinion (though I’m sure I’ll get flamed for that statement)

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Rashy.4165

I think it sounds very much like GvG. Though remember I’m talking about the actual GvG matchups from GW1. The blob battles that take place in WvW is just a joke in my opinion (though I’m sure I’ll get flamed for that statement)

The outcome of these depend largely on how quickly you can set up the battlefield to your advantage. I’ve mostly seen ambushes in EotM and some failed ambushes where a zerg expected one, prepared for it in advance, and took down the opposing zerg (could easily go both ways).

Assuming equal numbers.

(edited by Rashy.4165)

lil devils x.6071

there are the GW1 GvG veterans, that want a game mode similar to what we’re getting with stronghold. they seem pretty happy with it, generally speaking. then there are the GW2 WvW players that formed their own “GvG”, which is an unofficial game mode where two guild pick 15 or so people and just go TDM on each other until one side is wiped. those guys are sour that “15v15 TDM” (or as they say, GvG, since it’s always within guildies) didn’t become an official mode.

i personally don’t get the point of the latter group, because they hate the limitations of sPvP (read: you can’t bring ascended stuff, mix and match stats, and use consumable buffs), and ANet already went out of their way to give them a big, large, flat arena for guilds to clash like they wanted (LoS and terrain advantage are also a no-no in the new GvG community, apparently), so i’m not sure i get what they want.

I too am a GW1 player as well as participated in the surveys they used to create GW2 as well.

In wvw you can only play against your opposing teams for that week, you do not get to play against any guild you wish, and you can have people randomly attack that are not even involved ( anyone can jump in). It would be like saying for pvp you only get to play against this preselected group of players and cannot choose who you fight, and anyone else can randomly come in and snipe you if they feel like it. What they want for GVG is a private area where they can fight any guild in the game regardless of server, and people cannot come in and screw it up. Yea leaderboards and such would be nice, but giving them the basics first would be a start. They do not even have that currently.

ALSO GvG in wvw interferes with the actual game in progress. It is like they are trying to have a gvg in the middle of the court during basketball game going on. How about we only allow people to pvp in the middle of SMC while other teams are fighting over it? That just doesn’t work… You have people playing two different games on the same field.

WvW / PVP ONLY

BrunoBRS.5178

I too am a GW1 player as well as participated in the surveys they used to create GW2 as well.

In wvw you can only play against your opposing teams for that week, you do not get to play against any guild you wish, and you can have people randomly attack that are not even involved ( anyone can jump in). It would be like saying for pvp you only get to play against this preselected group of players and cannot choose who you fight, and anyone else can randomly come in and snipe you if they feel like it. What they want for GVG is a private area where they can fight any guild in the game regardless of server, and people cannot come in and screw it up. Yea leaderboards and such would be nice, but giving them the basics first would be a start. They do not even have that currently.

ALSO GvG in wvw interferes with the actual game in progress. It is like they are trying to have a gvg in the middle of the court during basketball game going on. How about we only allow people to pvp in the middle of SMC while other teams are fighting over it? That just doesn’t work… You have people playing two different games on the same field.

i’ll give you “fighting more than guilds from the opposing servers”, but ANet gave GvGers the arena on the obsidian sanctum specifically to keep them from inflating numbers in the maps that actually matter.

lil devils x.6071

i’ll give you “fighting more than guilds from the opposing servers”, but ANet gave GvGers the arena on the obsidian sanctum specifically to keep them from inflating numbers in the maps that actually matter.

There are more than just 2 guilds in wvw though. Where do they go to fight if there are guilds already using OS? Anyone can jump in in OS during the middle of a fight? It is not a private arena, they cannot make reservations and keep everyone else out of it.

Frequently there are too many guilds GvG at the same time, so they have them on all maps AND in OS at same time.

WvW / PVP ONLY

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

No it didn’t. Watch the livestream again. Colin said it was a new pvp mode, that had guild ladders. That doesn’t mean the mode is actually called GvG, it just has guild ladder support.

Find me a quote of them calling the new mode GvG.