Taking October 23 off from work/school?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tic Tac Toe.1482

Tic Tac Toe.1482

Q:

And for those of us who will, any idea on what time the expac goes live?

Posted by: Akachi.1352

Akachi.1352

I’d imagine 8/9am PST, sometime around then to give Anet staff time to get in office, quadruple triple check everything, then push the big red button

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

As the saying goes; “never play on patch day”.

Anyone that takes a day off for the 23rd will likely be kicking themselves by the day’s end. It is far better to take a day off a few days down the line, say for the 25th or so after all of the major bugs have been fixed.

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

Anyone that takes a day off for the 23rd will likely be kicking themselves by the day’s end. It is far better to take a day off a few days down the line, say for the 25th or so after all of the major bugs have been fixed.

This is an excellent point but it won’t work for me. PAX Aus is less than a week after HoT launches and between that and other commitments, I need to cram as much sweet, sweet new game content into my craw as possible before I head out into the wilderness of Conventionland. We all know the best part of a new online game or expansion is gorging yourself on it and discovering new things before Dulfy posts a guide to finding all the cool things in Heart of Thorns. Although, that is presuming That Shaman doesn’t just datamine everything and spoil the surprise for everybody.

Playing on release day is going to have crazy bugs, crashes and assorted nonsense for days and there’s no way known I’d miss it for the world. Even with the teething problems, it’s just the best.

Posted by: latinkuro.7304

latinkuro.7304

I don’t think so buddy !

I was there when X happened with bugs and all is part of the experience.

For example I can proudly say I was there waiting for servers to go live at head start.
I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything, it is a rare treasure.

LOVE: Raids & Fractals.
HATE: Jumping puzzles.
DESPISE: TIME GATES, RNG & THE TRINITY !

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

It will be a nightmare, not because it’s Anet but it’s to be expected regardless of which company. I wont be skipping work to stare at my screen as the constant restarts and fixes happen. Now if it was a day off, sure why not but to take the day off is silly, by the time I get home they should be smoothing things out to playable.

Of course this is all speculation. If they can provide a perfectly smooth transition than good on Anet for being the first MMO company in history for releasing an xpac without a hitch.

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

You do that, I’ll have a couple of mastery points to spend by that time, bugs or not. :p

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Since none of my PTO rolls over, I have about 10 days to spend. I’ll be taking that Friday off and Monday-Wednesday.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Hmmm I maybe so busy that I can’t play on Friday, Oct. the 23rd
While (drs. orders) I don’t work, I still help out with some plays at one the local community theatres. At that time not only will there be 2 shows playing on the stage and one of them I am doing lights and sound for BUT then A Christmas Carol the musical will be rehearsing AND auditions and rehearsals for Peter Pan the musical will be going on. I already know that I will be helping with rehearsals and running sound for Peter Pan and my other half is the Assistant Director so lots of things to take care of with that show …….. yep I will TRY to sneak in some play time but it may be a little hard, lol.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t have any holiday left to spend, except what I need for Christmas.

But I don’t mind not being first and I’ll have plenty of time to play it later.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

luckily for me, i don’t have class on fridays, WOOOO

Proud TTS member

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I’d imagine 8/9am PST, sometime around then to give Anet staff time to get in office, quadruple triple check everything, then push the big red button

Often things launch at midnight PST, either that or at noon PST which would fit when they start the weekend events these days. And when you’re a game company there are plenty of people there not working easy cheesy 9-5 hours, most especially on the week of a new release launch.

Posted by: NightShadow.1429

NightShadow.1429

I would if I had a job to take time off from (Is in desperate need of a job) haha

“Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I love being retired I don’t have to make any arrangements beyond making sure I’m awake at the projected launch time.

For those worried about game-killing bugs, well. This is ArenaNet. They have an excellent track record on deploying new content. Even the launch of the original game was smooth as silk, three hours ahead of schedule for headstart, and it let us hit the ground running even on a quite full server like Tarnished Coast.

Now, there could be annoyances due to the sheer volume of players rolling over the content in the beginning area, but I’m fairly confident it won’t lead to the types of server shutdown horrors seen in other games on expansion day.

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

You do that, I’ll have a couple of mastery points to spend by that time, bugs or not. :p

Very true!

Though, I will definitely be playing on the launch day, but I just recommend to others to not take a day off until a couple of days afterwards to have the best full day experience.

Of course, I can’t command your decisions

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

I work from home now so I guess I’ll be “working from home” the next few days.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

Often things launch at midnight PST, either that or at noon PST which would fit when they start the weekend events these days. And when you’re a game company there are plenty of people there not working easy cheesy 9-5 hours, most especially on the week of a new release launch.

My thoughts exactly, either midnight or noon.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Just do what all college students/responsible adults do and play at school/work. I suggest the back row of the class if you’re a student (or, hey, just skip classes that day, crib notes off a friend) or use those dodging skills you’ve developed in GW2 to quickly alt-tab out of the game when the boss rolls by if you’re at work (also if you have a window behind you, pull the curtains so they can’t see the reflection of your screen).

I’m not actually suggesting you do this.

Also don’t tell my boss.

Posted by: NekotTheBrave.2013

NekotTheBrave.2013

Taking a day off for the release of a game?

You’re going to have a bad time.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Taking a day off for the release of a game?

You’re going to have a bad time.

I took a week off for GW2’s launch and I don’t remember sleeping much but I do remember everything working just fine. With one exception, my guild leader wanted us to try sPvP but the NPC in the lobby that you talked to wasn’t working. I got swept away in PvE and never tried PvP again until the Stronghold beta.

Anyway, other games may make it standard to have everything unplayable in the first hours but ANet isn’t cut from that cloth.

Posted by: JHoax.6812

JHoax.6812

I’ve actually been hitting the gym pretty hard the last few weeks after work because i know come HoT release i wont be leaving my house for a few days, i’ve already let the guys at work i wont be around till at least the 30th which just happens to be a Friday (cheeky smile)

My shopping list before the day:
-Junk Foods x 2 × 8 x more
-Assortment of beverages
-Frozen pizza’s
-List of Takeaways that do deliveries
-Adult sized onesies (preferably one with the butt flap for optimal speed when need be)

I will be moving my Pc into the living room so i can have easy fast access to 4 important points in the house, Kitchen, Toilet, light dimmer and the front door.

This is all hypothetical of course……………….. anyone know how to get passed a girlfriend with 100k toughness and Vit??

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

. anyone know how to get passed a girlfriend with 100k toughness and Vit??

Easy use that new shout necro’s get called “yes that dress makes your butt look big” it applies 100 stacks of vulnerability and weakness.

Posted by: Gnat.5124

Gnat.5124

Easy use that new shout necro’s get called “yes that dress makes your butt look big” it applies 100 stacks of vulnerability and weakness.

Actually, the debuff is applied to the caster

Can’t take that day off work but since I’m EU I doubt it will get released until late afternoon my time anyway.

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

I took 2 weeks off, starting the 23rd. Why do i do that? Well i had not really a summer vacation from work so it comes in handy. The other Thing is, i am a Revenant Player, so i have quite a few things to do before i am on par with the Rest of the crowd storming the Jungle.

Posted by: JHoax.6812

JHoax.6812

Actually, the debuff is applied to the caster

Can’t take that day off work but since I’m EU I doubt it will get released until late afternoon my time anyway.

Lol i think you’re right on this one, may have to go the stealthy approach, i’ll have to be careful though, i may aggro her in which case i may need to stack some swiftness a.k.a Keep the car keys on me

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Well, if it launches first thing in the morning on the 23rd, say 9am.
That’s 9am pacific, noon here, and if it launches at noon that’s 3 here.
So I may leave work a bit early but no way am I risking a vacation day on a launch time gamble.

Far more importantly, is when does that last patch go out, will the bulk go out like at least the previous day? I hate big launch day patches, getting hung up in internet rush hour instead of playing.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Creativewild.6319

Creativewild.6319

I am, saving holidays for this one

Heros forged in the heat of battle – Herois Lusitanos – https://www.heroislusitanos.com

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Agreed…to a point.

It’s not necessarily always bad to play on patch day as long as you have realistic expectations of the bugs/glitches you’ll probably experience.

I’ll probably be playing and taking the day off, but I also expect servers to go down and for there to be gameplay limiting bugs. Still worth it to me, though.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

“A new build is available” will haunt you in your sleep after seeing it 400 times the day before.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I figure it’ll take my connection the fair part of the day to patch, so I figure I’ll go to work like normal on the 23rd. Maybe even download the patch at work (1meg down is very helpful) and then just transfer the dat from my work laptop to my desktop when I get home.

I do plan on taking Monday the 26th off though so I have a whole day to just play without my husband or my son making depends on my time.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ll need to hoard internet data during that month. I get 20 GB a month and I’m expecting the download then the new builds to consume a fair portion of that. No videos for me during October. :/

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

I figure it’ll take my connection the fair part of the day to patch, so I figure I’ll go to work like normal on the 23rd. Maybe even download the patch at work (1meg down is very helpful) and then just transfer the dat from my work laptop to my desktop when I get home.

I do plan on taking Monday the 26th off though so I have a whole day to just play without my husband or my son making depends on my time.

I dont think you will have that problem, i dont think they will make a big download the release date, they probably add the game from time to time until release and when the time comes they just turn the expansion On, basically like they do for betas.

Atleast i hope that is the idea, i dont wanna download 10gb+ on the release

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I dont think you will have that problem, i dont think they will make a big download the release date, they probably add the game from time to time until release and when the time comes they just turn the expansion On, basically like they do for betas.

Atleast i hope that is the idea, i dont wanna download 10gb+ on the release

Oh I agree, they’ll probably start slipping parts of it into patches between then and now. But between the final download, and the assorted patching they’ll likely need to do over those first few days….. I don’t see myself getting much play time with my slow kitten download speeds at home. It takes me well over an hour to download just a ‘normal’ bi-weekly patch. (Have I mentioned how much I hate ATT?)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: TigerBlood.8704

TigerBlood.8704

Nah I’m not that stupid, I’ll take the Monday off.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I’ll be taking the weekend off work to play.

Oh wait…

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

RIP planes and sit jumping.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Jack.1469

Jack.1469

Great question. I might just be getting that Friday off thanks to my work’s flex policy. I’ll have to check, think it’ll be decided in early October.

Crossing fingers

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’ll be off. But don’t know if I’ll have HoT.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Syione.3046

Syione.3046

I get 3 weeks vacation so from the 23 to the 31 I won’t be at work. And as far as the big download , if you have been participating in the beta it won’t be a big deal at least it wasn’t for GW1 and GW2.

Posted by: Blush Lift.3570

Blush Lift.3570

I’m off until Jan 2016…New addition due in November so I have roughly four weeks to enjoy HoT day and night!

Posted by: Palimow.6342

Palimow.6342

Ill be starting my 3 week vacation then and wont be at my computer until after… … well maybe not a frown face. ITS VACATION!!! Will be excited to play when I get back though.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Oh wait…

You win this time!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Oh wait…

You win this time!

;) Well, I couldn’t resist.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I’m going to take off work that day. Hell, I might take Monday off too and make it a nice long weekend. Even if the game is buggy at the start it’ll be nice to have time off.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I would never take off just to play a game.

But I’m always off on Fridays (and Thursdays) anyway, so…

Posted by: milumilu.1759

milumilu.1759

nope, i won’t be paying more than 25$ for an expansion, so i gotta wait ’til Black friday :v

waku waku?

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

RIP planes and sit jumping.

screw you! Why do you have to remind me of sit/sleep jumping! Now I miss them again until I forget about them again.

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Oh wait…

You win this time!

;) Well, I couldn’t resist.

That’s just cruel.

Phaatonn, London UK

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Im taking a week off just like the good ol’ days errr.. oh wait I have a two month old daughter.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

23rd October is literally one day after my Birthday! LOL I think Hot and I were really brought together by fate :’)