Taunt or how GW2 becomes WoW

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

For reference, ‘Provoke’ is one of several things MMOs call their force-taunts whenever they don’t want to call them force-taunts. As I already said, the closest thing to a proper term for this class of effect in generic MMO jargon is ‘seduce’.

There’s no reason to assume Taunt is just a stun until proven otherwise.

Taunt is already in the game and is not a condition.

Very interesting. I stand corrected. Here is my badge and gun. I shall go sit in the corner now.

Not so fast. What it is now, and what it will be after the expansion hits may be two different things. They may change it a bit.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Really? Taunt? What’s with you dev’s? Its not WoW, not L2, its game with unique experience, where we don’t need tank/healer/damage dealer trinity.

Let me fill you in a little known secret. There is such a thing as Trinity Lite. It’s lite because it’s optional. Players CAN put together teams of the three but it’s not necessary. Thus by adding these things they are actually finally fulfilling their statement “Play the way you want to play”

If they finish the complete remake of PVE from the bottom up that is! They have alot of work to do!

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

When I first read the word taunt on the blog I went “wait wat?? are we now going back to trinity?”

Part of me is going “Its okay, I don’t want to play guild wars anymore anyways”
I will be fair and give it a try, but I feel so disappointed at hot now.

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I got to agree with what others have said. Its pretty much the opposite of fear. And itl be quite useful in various game plays. Imagine “taunting” a ranger off his ledge. Or a turret engineer out of his turrets. Or a guardian off his point. A thief trying to shadow refuge gets hit by it just as he casts it and voluntarily runs out of it.

Thisl be….very fun.

Edit: for people saying its a return to the trinity….its nothing like that. The taunt mechanic isn’t a tank only thing. The only reason tanks were the only ones to use that skill in trinity based games was because they were the only ones that could SURVIVE it.

In this game though. Anyone with access to it and confidence in there ability to survive the damage they take will be able to use it. Sooner people realise that doesn’t necessarily mean tanks the sooner people start using it defensively and offensively. Instead of JUST as a taunt.

Ghost Yak

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

When I first read the word taunt on the blog I went “wait wat?? are we now going back to trinity?”

Part of me is going “Its okay, I don’t want to play guild wars anymore anyways”
I will be fair and give it a try, but I feel so disappointed at hot now.

doesn’t sound like you read past the word taunt then.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I was reading through it, and I just want to check: is there a way to remove Taunt? I did note that stun breakers would still work, so if nothing else there is that. But I’m not sure if condition removal would work.

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

looking forward to Taunt’ing Lupi and getting the party wiped

Lupi with one small exception is immune to cc. Besides, which skill would be his autoattack?

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

looking forward to Taunt’ing Lupi and getting the party wiped

Lupi with one small exception is immune to cc. Besides, which skill would be his autoattack?

That raises a good question actually. What happens to bosses or regular mobs that have no auto attack?

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

I was reading through it, and I just want to check: is there a way to remove Taunt? I did note that stun breakers would still work, so if nothing else there is that. But I’m not sure if condition removal would work.

it’s not a condition, so no, condition removals wont work…

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dazed
this is dazed a status effect in which you can not move or attack.
taunt will be similar onyl that you run toward an enemy you didnt target and attacl wtih auto attack, meaning you could attack a mob with retaliation which could kill you

Actually the descripion we have for it mentions running to, and attacking, the opponent you have targeted. It doesn’t mention forcing you to target a specific enemy, and in fact doesn’t say whether you will be able to switch targets or not.
Basically, it seems to not be a taunt, but a form of berserk rage.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Is the sky falling again?

Jip. ANet can’t seem to say a single word without the heavens shuddering. On the bright side at least ANet hardly ever has to wait for get feedback, even if it is the most extreme possible interpretations of what they’ve said.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

it’s not a condition, so no, condition removals wont work…

stun breaks will however….so whats the deal? Its basically “reverse fear” and nothing else

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

taunt will be similar onyl that you run toward an enemy you didnt target and attacl wtih auto attack, meaning you could attack a mob with retaliation which could kill you

Actually the descripion we have for it mentions running to, and attacking, the opponent you have targeted. It doesn’t mention forcing you to target a specific enemy, and in fact doesn’t say whether you will be able to switch targets or not.

This is the important part:

We have many different status effects in Guild Wars 2 that accomplish a variety of goals, such as knockdown, knockback, and daze. In this expansion, we wanted to open up gameplay options using taunt. Taunt will be used to both reposition foes and change your foes’ targets. For example, when used on players, it will force the taunted player to run at their target with their skill bar locked—minus stun breakers—and only use their autoattack skill to attack. This gives us the opportunity to use taunt in multiple ways, not just as a player skill, but also as a tool to create interesting creature encounters that utilize this taunt effect against players.

First bold part: In PVE mobs will change targets and attack the one using the skill. It’s clear from the blog post that Taunt WILL change the target of a mob.

Second bold part: In PVP, Taunt will work differently, as it will FORCE the taunted player to run to the target they already have and use auto attacks on them.

@the OP
A simple Taunt skill like that won’t make the game like WoW or any kind of Trinity nonsense we read lately. In other games Taunt puts the one using it on the TOP of the threat list, we have ZERO indication that Taunt in GW2 will also put the player using it on the TOP of the threat list. Until that’s clarified there is no reason to call this “tanking” or “trinity”

Posted by: Abdulaziz.1496

Abdulaziz.1496

That might work for something like the trinity but not for the players.
I think it could work for bosses, something like the molten 2 bosses, what if the other one’s “enrage” was spamming aoe that gives taunt and forces you to switch targets.

Think about and READ the full details before you come to whine about stuff

Posted by: Abdulaziz.1496

Abdulaziz.1496

We have many different status effects in Guild Wars 2 that accomplish a variety of goals, such as knockdown, knockback, and daze. In this expansion, we wanted to open up gameplay options using taunt. Taunt will be used to both reposition foes and change your foes’ targets. For example, when used on players, it will force the taunted player to run at their target with their skill bar locked—minus stun breakers—and only use their autoattack skill to attack. This gives us the opportunity to use taunt in multiple ways, not just as a player skill, but also as a tool to create interesting creature encounters that utilize this taunt effect against players.

First bold part: In PVE mobs will change targets and attack the one using the skill. It’s clear from the blog post that Taunt WILL change the target of a mob.

Second bold part: In PVP, Taunt will work differently, as it will FORCE the taunted player to run to the target they already have and use auto attacks on them.

@the OP
A simple Taunt skill like that won’t make the game like WoW or any kind of Trinity nonsense we read lately. In other games Taunt puts the one using it on the TOP of the threat list, we have ZERO indication that Taunt in GW2 will also put the player using it on the TOP of the threat list. Until that’s clarified there is no reason to call this “tanking” or “trinity”

the thing that people are missing is that attacks from mobs mostly hit the whole party.
so stacking and using taunt means nothing.
Unless people won’t stack anymore, which is a very welcomed change

Posted by: Vepo.4208

Vepo.4208

omg, rangers are going to be able to become a druid …. GW2 is becoming WoW!!!

Seriously, I can understand that people want GW2 to be it’s own game, but just because a taunt is added or something else appears that shares a name with a skill/class from another game, they instantly think it’s turning into the game …. makes me want to flip a table!

Character: Doowie – Ranger / Dow Dow – Thief / Unknown – Revenant
Guild: Rebellious New Generation [RNG] / Server: Aurora Glade – EN
Twitch: http://www.Twitch.tv/DoowieEU

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

We had float in fear and now we have sink in taunt. Nobody complained about having both underwater :p

Maybe skip the autoattacking part of it though and call it Charm They run up to you and /sit

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

this thread:
dennie or how the OP is not capable of reading about what Taunt actually does in this game.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

Its a CC like the opposite of fear or really slow pull.

Hit it on the head. It’s another CC but works a little differently.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

sigh The last thing we need is another way to lose control of our characters.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: thomdane.3670

thomdane.3670

I can personally see this being useful in WvW, if you have enough people run up to use as a tactic, to disrupt the back line of an enemy zerg by Taunting it’s backline casters out of position while making them spam their auto attack skill. Could make for some very effective pushes in that regard and add a layer of tactics to what is now blob warfare.

I am Eredon Terrace
Order of the Blue Heron [OTBH]
Arathorn Cirdon – Warrior | Ariana Cirdon – Mesmer

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

No one who has ever been in a real fight thinks combat is an exercise in perfect crystalline clarity and total control. A bit of panic or rage is a better representation of the activity than not having them.

Roll with it. Most CC in this game lasts 1-2 seconds.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

“1v1 me irl!”
“Come at me, bro!”

- MLG Taunts.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

“1v1 me irl!”
“Come at me, bro!”

- MLG Taunts.

“Well, what is it?”

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

@the OP

You’re very severely misinterpreting what is said here. The concept is that you are changing their target by forcing that target to me you. Not by moving the target to someone else, that’s not taunting. Taunting mean, “Come at me, bro.” So the thief is about to take someone out and you’re at max range, you taunt the thief now he has no choice but to run at you all slow like because he loses access to most, if not all of his skills and the person he was going to kill gets a reprieve.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

@the OP

You’re very severely misinterpreting what is said here. The concept is that you are changing their target by forcing that target to me you. Not by moving the target to someone else, that’s not taunting. Taunting mean, “Come at me, bro.” So the thief is about to take someone out and you’re at max range, you taunt the thief now he has no choice but to run at you all slow like because he loses access to most, if not all of his skills and the person he was going to kill gets a reprieve.

In PVP it says clearly that it will force the player attack their target. It doesn’t say the caster.

In PVE it says it will change the target so it will probably make the mob attack the user of the Taunt skill.

Still it won’t do anything on the Threat list, once the duration of Taunt is over the mob can hit whoever they were originally attacking.

Kal Spiro.9745

You can’t guarantee what their target is, therefore that doesn’t actually make sense and is a poor design.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

No one who has ever been in a real fight thinks combat is an exercise in perfect crystalline clarity and total control. A bit of panic or rage is a better representation of the activity than not having them.

Try WvW sometime.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Kal Spiro.9745

Try WvW sometime.

Well, I have, and that seemed like a pretty reasonable interpretation.