The Revenant: Can we get it early?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

Hey,

I just wanted to make a topic because i currently have a big choice to make at the start of the expansion. One i actually really don’t want to make.

Revenant vs New Content
I remember from other mmo’s how bad it felt when i was leveling the new class and my guildies were experiencing new content and i wasn’t playing with them. When we are moving into the jungle, i want to move in with my guildies. However i also want to have a revenant and i want to level it properly. If these 2 things come out at the same time most people will probally craft it up if they want to play it and head him straight into the jungle. I would rather not do this tbh.
I want to ask if it’s possible, for everyone who pre-purchased, to just have the revenant, obviously without it’s elite spec, available just a few days or maybe a week prior to the start of HoT.

I would rather not have to choose between experiencing the new content and leveling the new class, since i’m really excited for the revenant and i’d love to level it right away, but i also don’t wanna miss the experience of heading into the jungle with my guildmates either.
Plz don’t make me craftlevel this proffesion, i wanna play trough the personal story, have tybalt sell me apples and stuff. And level it normally.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Posted by: thewildgoz.4962

thewildgoz.4962

I will loveeeeeeeee!!! to se that!! i bet there is lot of people waiting more for classes than it is for content, im one of those!! pleeeeaaaseeee Anet!!

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

do a little PvP, get daily logins – 60-80 tomes of knowledge won’t be that hard to get.

Fox.3469

do a little PvP, get daily logins – 60-80 tomes of knowledge won’t be that hard to get.

Did you even read my post? I just said i don’t want to do that. I don’t want to insta lvl it, by crafting or any means. I want to play the personal story, play the living world season 2, and then go to the jungle. I do not want to be forced to rush to 80 and have a character with almost no waypoints in the normal world.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wish they would do this also. Release it a month before the expansion. That will give me time to level it by playing and not do the instant tome leveling, and spend that time learning how to play it. I also want to take my Rev to the new maps when they open up.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

Did you even read my post? I just said i don’t want to do that. I don’t want to insta lvl it, by crafting or any means. I want to play the personal story, play the living world season 2, and then go to the jungle. I do not want to be forced to rush to 80 and have a character with almost no waypoints in the normal world.

my bad, missed that. thought you just said you didn’t want to craft level.

short answer is no. they won’t release it early for so many reasons, and this is just the price you pay.

Fox.3469

my bad, missed that. thought you just said you didn’t want to craft level.

short answer is no. they won’t release it early for so many reasons, and this is just the price you pay.

We don’t even know the release date, so this isn’t set in stone, we can always try to ask them, wich is why i made this topic. I’m sure the devs have played allot of mmo’s themselves, and every time a new class came out for other mmo’s with new content, and they weren’t max level at start, this was a negative experience. I’m just petitioning for GW2 not to have something like this.

I don’t see how making people choose between playing the new class or playing with their friends would be a good idea, and i hope the devs agree.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Given that they specifically said at the PAX South announcement of HoT that the Revenant would be there for new players to be on an equal footing with veterans in this one profession, no, they aren’t going to hand it out early.

You can work on the jungle with established alts while leveling your Revenant and your masteries will convey. Nothing says you can only play one alt for weeks.

Fox.3469

Given that they specifically said at the PAX South announcement of HoT that the Revenant would be there for new players to be on an equal footing with veterans in this one profession, no, they aren’t going to hand it out early.

You can work on the jungle with established alts while leveling your Revenant and your masteries will convey. Nothing says you can only play one alt for weeks.

While that being true, i see no harm in releasing it a bit early for pre orders. They released the entire game early for the pre-orders at GW2 launch. 3 days early. So what harm would it do releasing a class a bit sooner.

And basicly new players from now on are most likely pre-orders. Since it includes the base game. If HoT content convinces you at this moment to start playing GW2 there is no reason not to preorder.

Btw if you don’t do this it still favors veterans, since they will have the tomes to boost their character to 80 anyway.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Why can’t the new players level the Rev along with the vets? Is releasing it a month early going to stop that somehow? And if they don’t release it early and on expansion day, 5 minutes after char creation I’ve tome leveled it to 80, how is this putting the new players on an equal footing?

ANet may give it to you.

Fox.3469

Why can’t the new players level the Rev along with the vets? Is releasing it a month early going to stop that somehow? And if they don’t release it early and on expansion day, 5 minutes after char creation I’ve tome leveled it to 80, how is this putting the new players on an equal footing?

This is really what it’s about, no offense to people who tome-level, but i don’t want to be punished for not doing that. I’m guessing new players are getting punished by it aswell. They don’t have that instant 20 then tome to 80.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

As much as I’d love to see revenant come out early so I can level it just won’t happen.

Multiple reasons.

1. It’s part of expansion, so we’d get with expansion.

2. Wouldn’t make sense to have a whole bunch of revenants out when the class doesn’t even exist yet. We need to wait for rylock in expansion.

3. If they release a class early every person who doesn’t play revenant will start complaining “can’t we start leveling masteries early” “early release on first map” “early release for stronghold”

We just have to wait.

Fox.3469

As much as I’d love to see revenant come out early so I can level it just won’t happen.

Multiple reasons.

1. It’s part of expansion, so we’d get with expansion.

2. Wouldn’t make sense to have a whole bunch of revenants out when the class doesn’t even exist yet. We need to wait for rylock in expansion.

3. If they release a class early every person who doesn’t play revenant will start complaining “can’t we start leveling masteries early” “early release on first map” “early release for stronghold”

We just have to wait.

1. Yet the pre-orders got the entire games 3 days early last time, what is one class…
2. This is already non-logical when going trough the story as a revenant, as well with the personal story as a charr, where he is still a warrior and you are a revenant.
3. All those things do not have anything to do with getting into the expansion, potential revenant players are the only ones being behind, especially the new players.
Other then that everyone starts at an equal point going into the expansion.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

OP, I can guarantee that the first few weeks after reoease will be loaded with a kitten ton of bugs in the new content. Your guildies may be attempting the new content first, but they will be the ones dealing with the broken events. Level up and enjoy your revenant while everyone else deals with the buggy new content. By the time you finish leveling most of the major bugs will have been addressed.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Fox.3469

OP, I can guarantee that the first few weeks after reoease will be loaded with a kitten ton of bugs in the new content. Your guildies may be attempting the new content first, but they will be the ones dealing with the broken events. Level up and enjoy your revenant while everyone else deals with the buggy new content. By the time you finish leveling most of the major bugs will have been addressed.

That may be so, i want to be there with them. I really don’t see the downside in this. What negative effect does it have?

Posted by: inku.1302

inku.1302

I understand you want something from HoT early.
Don’t we all.
But your asking something from the HoT content, the expansion.
As we do not know the release date, all/most of it will come out on release.
I want the glider to be released early.
But no, it’s just something that I desire.
So it might not hurt anyone nor have any negative effects that we might know about,
But what’s gonna be is what’s gonna be. Laws the law.
If it does come out early, it will come out early as the whole HoT. Not just the rev.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Welll OP, I am afraid it just won’t happen. You are going to have to pick one or the either. Run with your guild or level a revenant, but we will not get revenant early because it isn’t ready.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Fox.3469

I understand you want something from HoT early.
Don’t we all.
But your asking something from the HoT content, the expansion.
As we do not know the release date, all/most of it will come out on release.
I want the glider to be released early.
But no, it’s just something that I desire.
So it might not hurt anyone nor have any negative effects that we might know about,
But what’s gonna be is what’s gonna be. Laws the law.
If it does come out early, it will come out early as the whole HoT. Not just the rev.

This has nothing to do with desire for something new, i don’t mind waiting for the expansion, i’m talking about giving everyone equal oppertunity to level their revenant, and not forcing us to rush it. I think a few days to level a new class before the jungle opens up is nothing anyone can disagree with.

Welll OP, I am afraid it just won’t happen. You are going to have to pick one or the either. Run with your guild or level a revenant, but we will not get revenant early because it isn’t ready.

Of course it’s not ready yet, i’m not talking about now, i’m talking about a few days before HoT comes out, you know, when it is ready. That choice is bad gamedesign and i hope we don’t have to make it. Forcing people to not play with their friends for wanting to play the new class is just wrong.

And i’m hoping the devs agree. I still haven’t heard any reasonable argument why this shouldn’t happen.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

There’s only a problem because you’re choosing to make one. I’m sure your guild will be doing the new zones a week or a month after release if you choose to level the Revenant first. Alternatively, the Revenant will still be there later if you choose to explore the new zones first.

The problem is that you seem to feel you have to do both immediately upon release. And you can, by playing half your time in the new zones and half your time leveling the Revenant. It’ll take longer to to both, but you can do it. I’m also sure there will be at least a few other members of your guild trying to level a Revenant that you could party with and do together.

Since there will be masteries for Tyria and HOT, at some point you’ll need to play in Tyria to get all the content from the expansion. I’m sure some of your guildies will be doing that as well.

So…I’m not seeing what the issue is. Play a new revenant, play an old char, explore HOT, explore Tyria, anything you do will likely have some participation with your guildies and eventually you’ll be seeing it all. You aren’t missing out on anything or losing anything with any of your choices. The only conflict here is the one you’re making for yourself.

Also, not releasing expansion content ahead of the expansion is not bad game design.

Fox.3469

I don’t think i’m making an unreasonable request, of course it doesn’t have to be like this and this could be ignored, but i still fail to see any downsides. And if something only has possitive effects, why not do it?

There may not be an issue to you, but to me, and several in this thread, it is a hard choice. Not one i won’t make eventually, but a kittene nonetheless.
How it’s looking now, the revenant is probally gonna be my new main, and i’d wanna start it right away, but i want to play with my guild even more. So given the time i can invest, i’ll have to leave the revenant till i cleared the entire expansion with an alt.

And again, there really is no downside. If all pre-order players get the revenant a bit early, even if it’s 3 days like at GW2 launch we got the game 3 days early as pre-orders, that would mean allot to me, and wouldn’t negatively impact anyone’s experience in the process. So again, what is the harm? It’s not like the class won’t be ready 3 days before release.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If they give a 3-day headstart with the expansion, you can work on leveling your Revenant. Though, I don’t really see any difference…if there is a headstart, and your Guildies want to play, won’t they play the content they find most appealing? I.e., the new maps? You would still have the same choice to make.

I’m not sure the Devs could release only one part of the expansion, the Revenant, and keep all other parts locked as Core/Pact Tyria will be getting new ‘content’, as well. The Mastery System will be included in Core/Pact Tyria, as well as the new Map Rewards. Do only those players that want to work on their Revenant get to take advantage of the new systems, then? What about those players not interested in the Revenant? Should they be left behind during that period?

Food for thought….

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I’d love to see a week head start on Revenant for prepurchasers. It’d give me enough time to finish prep work for when the actual launch date hits, including picking up core wps.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Hey,

I just wanted to make a topic because i currently have a big choice to make at the start of the expansion. One i actually really don’t want to make.

Revenant vs New Content
I remember from other mmo’s how bad it felt when i was leveling the new class and my guildies were experiencing new content and i wasn’t playing with them. When we are moving into the jungle, i want to move in with my guildies. However i also want to have a revenant and i want to level it properly. If these 2 things come out at the same time most people will probally craft it up if they want to play it and head him straight into the jungle. I would rather not do this tbh.
I want to ask if it’s possible, for everyone who pre-purchased, to just have the revenant, obviously without it’s elite spec, available just a few days or maybe a week prior to the start of HoT.

I would rather not have to choose between experiencing the new content and leveling the new class, since i’m really excited for the revenant and i’d love to level it right away, but i also don’t wanna miss the experience of heading into the jungle with my guildmates either.
Plz don’t make me craftlevel this proffesion, i wanna play trough the personal story, have tybalt sell me apples and stuff. And level it normally.

Dude, just use ToK, if you like leveling so much thats what Masteries are for. Level those with your friends.

this is why i dont like character levels. Its pointless in the end. Just do mastery lines…

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

This is really what it’s about, no offense to people who tome-level, but i don’t want to be punished for not doing that. I’m guessing new players are getting punished by it aswell. They don’t have that instant 20 then tome to 80.

So this is a low key ToK diss thread..

i bite. Well i dont want to be punished because of level grind fans. Now what?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This has nothing to do with desire for something new, i don’t mind waiting for the expansion, i’m talking about giving everyone equal oppertunity to level their revenant, and not forcing us to rush it. I think a few days to level a new class before the jungle opens up is nothing anyone can disagree with.

It has everything to do with a desire for something new:

• You are willing to wait for the expansion.
  • You don’t want to wait for one of the new features of that expansion, a new prof.
  • On day one, you don’t want to wait to explore the new maps.

Nothing wrong with wanting to have your revenant and level it,too. I’m sure a lot of us will be going back and forth on whether to level first, dive into the new content, and fry a few synapses trying to decide.

I’m going to have a harder time still, because I’m also interested in most of the new specialization lines, especially chronomancer and tempest. So maybe it’s easier for me, since I know there’s absolutely no way I’m going to be able to play them all and explore the new content.

tl;dr you are expecting to get some of the new stuff early; no harm in that.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

Create two revenants, one to boost to 80 to play in jungle (or use another lvl 80 if it doesn’t have to be a revenant) and another one that you level ‘the normal way’.

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I don’t think i’m making an unreasonable request, of course it doesn’t have to be like this and this could be ignored, but i still fail to see any downsides. And if something only has possitive effects, why not do it?

There may not be an issue to you, but to me, and several in this thread, it is a hard choice. Not one i won’t make eventually, but a kittene nonetheless.
How it’s looking now, the revenant is probally gonna be my new main, and i’d wanna start it right away, but i want to play with my guild even more. So given the time i can invest, i’ll have to leave the revenant till i cleared the entire expansion with an alt.

And again, there really is no downside. If all pre-order players get the revenant a bit early, even if it’s 3 days like at GW2 launch we got the game 3 days early as pre-orders, that would mean allot to me, and wouldn’t negatively impact anyone’s experience in the process. So again, what is the harm? It’s not like the class won’t be ready 3 days before release.

I’m not a tech person, but if Revenant is integral part of the expansion, how can they separate it from rest of the expansion and release it early? is that even possible? they would have to kinda pick it out from rest of the content and upload it early on its own right? That may not be as simple as u think or like i said, even possible.

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

The revenant is the main reason why someone will buy the expansion, they can’t give it us early.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I think the idea of unlocking the Revenant a few days early for folks who own HoT at that point could be a surprisingly good idea. I don’t think they’ll do it, but spreading out the shockwave of bug reports as new content goes live could actually be a plus on the practical side along with allowing folks to level them up traditionally for a few days before the new zones open.

As to technical difficulty, the revenant (in its current form – more tuning to be expected) is in the system now. It’s essentially flipping a bit to enable it for general use. The bit may be entangled with all of the HoT content, but all signs are they can turn parts on and off independently (each has it’s own bit).

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

I don’t see any downside to this suggestion, given they manage to finalize the class before the expansion release.
Note : We’re talking about the revenant, not the herald, so really there’s no real headstart toward the HoT core content.

1) It would help people AND especially new players to get accustomed to the class and get prepared for HoT. That’s basically the whole philosophy of Anet, to not hinder a particular kind of player.

2) It’s a feature only those who pre-orders would be given. Meaning, it will make people who are only truely interested in the revenant class more attracted to preordering than buying after release. So it’s beneficial even for Anet.

3) More opportunity for feedbacks, so people who decide to play it on release date can enjoy a stable class.

4) If you’re talking about logic we already had a bunch of revenants roaming the silverwastes a while back among other players. And it wasn’t on a beta test server.

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

screw getting the revenant early, who really cares about that, I want Stronghold early so that i don’t have to choose between pvp and pve with guildies on launch day! (look we can all make selfish requests because we don’t want to make choices!)

Posted by: Grimrah.9256

Grimrah.9256

I do see why you would want them to do this but, I truly do not see this happening. It never hurts to ask.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

It hurts even less to explain it in terms they might find advantageous .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

screw getting the revenant early, who really cares about that, I want Stronghold early so that i don’t have to choose between pvp and pve with guildies on launch day! (look we can all make selfish requests because we don’t want to make choices!)

I care. I’ve been looking forward to a class like this for quite a while now.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

No one is punished.

If new players want “insta-level” with tomes when HoT releases, they can pre-purchase HoT now, play GW2 now and level a char and then get tomes.

HoT (at least the new maps) is “endgame content”at level 80.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

you get tomes for just logging in every day (up to 16 a month) on top of any tomes you can get from the daily WvW and on top of Tomes you get from PVP tracks.

Getting 80 tomes is too easy IMHO.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: frayon.3984

frayon.3984

Hi,
I just noticed this forum was up and wanted to say there is a petition on the revenant forums for early access to the revenant for those of us who don’t want to insta level to 80, who would like to go through the personal story and living world season 2 before the launch of HoT. The petition is just away for us to let the devs know their is a part of the community who really, really want this to be true and that we just want to rev not HoT or the elite spec.

forum vanished but the petition is still up on change.org.

(edited by frayon.3984)

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

Yes… it’s totally a punishment for people to experience all the old content… That makes tons of sense /rolleyes

For veteran players, if you make the choice you want to play your new Rev through the personal story and all the season two content then go ahead and do that, it’s your choice and choices have upsides and downsides. I’d still recommend using scrolls/tomes to level though. You can’t even start the personal story until lvl 20 and once you do that you’ll have to go do other things to level up enough to continue the personal story every few levels anyway.

frayon.3984

You can’t even start the personal story until lvl 20 and once you do that you’ll have to go do other things to level up enough to continue the personal story every few levels anyway.

personal story starts at level 10 not 20 then is restricted per 10 lvls until 80 by each part within each of the chapters. Thus you don’t finish chapter 1 until you’re lvl30 or can’t play that arch of the chapter until lvl30.

Arlee.7038

You can’t even start the personal story until lvl 20 and once you do that you’ll have to go do other things to level up enough to continue the personal story every few levels anyway.

personal story starts at level 10 not 20 then is restricted per 10 lvls until 80 by each part within each of the chapters. Thus you don’t finish chapter 1 until you’re lvl30 or can’t play that arch of the chapter until lvl30.

OH, that’s better. I wonder why I was thinking it didn’t start until lvl 20 >< And yea, I am leveling my Mesmer the slow way with the personal story now and I keep finishing chapters and then having to grind out a few levels before I can continue with the story… which I find frustrating. Been considering blowing some of my tomes just so I can go through all of the story at once.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Even though I don’t support the OP’s concern, I’d like to remind people that their goal isn’t about reach L80 quickly. They are asking to be able to level their revenant slowly and to experience the new storyline on the day it releases. The way things are now, we’ll all have to choose to take an existing L80, insta-level a revenant, or postpone exploration of the new zones/story.

(Again, I don’t support the idea, as I’ve stated above — I just ask that people stop worrying about how hard it is to level to 80 quickly, since that’s not the issue in this thread.)

Fox.3469

I don’t see any downside to this suggestion, given they manage to finalize the class before the expansion release.
Note : We’re talking about the revenant, not the herald, so really there’s no real headstart toward the HoT core content.

1) It would help people AND especially new players to get accustomed to the class and get prepared for HoT. That’s basically the whole philosophy of Anet, to not hinder a particular kind of player.

2) It’s a feature only those who pre-orders would be given. Meaning, it will make people who are only truely interested in the revenant class more attracted to preordering than buying after release. So it’s beneficial even for Anet.

3) More opportunity for feedbacks, so people who decide to play it on release date can enjoy a stable class.

4) If you’re talking about logic we already had a bunch of revenants roaming the silverwastes a while back among other players. And it wasn’t on a beta test server.

That’s all the positives i see to, i’ve yet to see a negative. Most people just respond, “you’re not getting it early because that’s just the way it is”.
But they way it is right now is exactly why i’m trying to bring this to the attention, if there is a better way to do things (i’ve not seen a counterargument yet), shouldn’t we at least try to ask for it? Seems only logical to me.

frayon.3984

These forums have been popping up since the last BWE if not before (I think the original question was before but I am not certain). There are a lot of them and I am just as guilty for having created one myself awhile back, but I do wish all of these would stay on one forum rather than going over many. There are around five now in the revenant category alone and at least one in the HoT category.

I have nothing against the forums and do want the rev early for most of the reasons stated across all of them many times over (personal story, season 2, leveling to 80, and getting to the same point as everyone come release of HoT without getting the elite or any of HoT’s content with it), but I am also starting to be fine with the idea of just getting 60 tomes and insta lvling as well just to run through the story fast in full armor and enter HoT maybe a week late because I don’t have all the free time to play GW2 atm and I have a feeling it will come out right when I have finals and can’t play the game at all as it is.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

That’s all the positives i see to, i’ve yet to see a negative. Most people just respond, “you’re not getting it early because that’s just the way it is”.
But they way it is right now is exactly why i’m trying to bring this to the attention, if there is a better way to do things (i’ve not seen a counterargument yet), shouldn’t we at least try to ask for it? Seems only logical to me.

You haven’t read all the responses if you haven’t seen any downsides:

• ANet would have to change their entire game plan to release the class early.
  • They would remove some of the value of the expansion, which includes the revenant.
  • The class itself is being balanced against the other classes that will exist in HoT, not in comparison to the classes that exist now.
  • If the class isn’t ready, the feedback they’d get is that they released it too soon. If it’s only available in BETA, then everyone is more likely to recognize the class as a test version.

In short, the request is logical only from a customer standpoint. It has tons of ‘costs’ associated with it and hardly any untarnished benefits for ANet.

Fox.3469

• They would remove some of the value of the expansion, which includes the revenant.
  • The class itself is being balanced against the other classes that will exist in HoT, not in comparison to the classes that exist now.
  • If the class isn’t ready, the feedback they’d get is that they released it too soon. If it’s only available in BETA, then everyone is more likely to recognize the class as a test version.

1. I don’t see how releasing a class a bit early for pre-orders is changing your entire game plan, in fact the entire game was released early for preorders at launch.
2. No they wouldn’t how does having the rev a week early, for pre-orders only, remove value from the expansion? You have to own HoT to get it, so it’s basicly HoT content. What does this even have to do with the value of the expansion…
3. And yet that same class has been released into the live game 2 weekends now, in pvp, wvw and pve. 2 weekends and nobody cared about it. Why do you think having this a week early is gonna suddenly kitten up the balance between your precious classes, and if it does, why does it matter? It’s only 1 week and then all the classes balance is trown around anyway due to elite specs. The Golem rush in Wvw, that kittened things up, 1 class, during the last 2 weekends: not so much.
4. I’m not saying release it now. Please try and comprehend what i am saying. If the revenant isn’t ready 1 week before release then quite frankly release shouldn’t be in that week. What we meant by the bug reports, is how the class itself will react with the living world and the personal story. If a revenant get’s stuck in his personal story right after release, and posts about it, devs may be busy at that time trying to make sure every map and event chain functions correctly in the expansion. However when you release it a weak early, when the entire class is finished, you get a week of feedback on the revenant in the normal worlds and leveling process alone, where some things may not work as intended. And then you get the entire HoT release.

So basicly the positives for A-Net are:
-Free feedback on 1-80 normal world revenant.
-Incentive to pre-order.
-New players don’t feel left out because they don’t have 80 tomes.
-Builds up the HoT release hype.

Saying it would require tons of extra work and ‘costs’ doesn’t make sense to me.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

1. I don’t see how releasing a class a bit early for pre-orders is changing your entire game plan, in fact the entire game was released early for preorders at launch.
2. No they wouldn’t how does having the rev a week early, for pre-orders only, remove value from the expansion? You have to own HoT to get it, so it’s basicly HoT content. What does this even have to do with the value of the expansion…
3. And yet that same class has been released into the live game 2 weekends now, in pvp, wvw and pve. 2 weekends and nobody cared about it. Why do you think having this a week early is gonna suddenly kitten up the balance between your precious classes, and if it does, why does it matter? It’s only 1 week and then all the classes balance is trown around anyway due to elite specs. The Golem rush in Wvw, that kittened things up, 1 class, during the last 2 weekends: not so much.
4. I’m not saying release it now. Please try and comprehend what i am saying. If the revenant isn’t ready 1 week before release then quite frankly release shouldn’t be in that week. What we meant by the bug reports, is how the class itself will react with the living world and the personal story. If a revenant get’s stuck in his personal story right after release, and posts about it, devs may be busy at that time trying to make sure every map and event chain functions correctly in the expansion. However when you release it a weak early, when the entire class is finished, you get a week of feedback on the revenant in the normal worlds and leveling process alone, where some things may not work as intended. And then you get the entire HoT release.

-Free feedback on 1-80 normal world revenant.
-Incentive to pre-order.
-New players don’t feel left out because they don’t have 80 tomes.
-Builds up the HoT release hype.

Saying it would require tons of extra work and ‘costs’ doesn’t make sense to me.

If you have worked on software development in the past, you know it’s not that easy to suddenly make a feature available for LIVE release that is otherwise available for use in a BETA environment, even if the LIVE and BETA releases use identical ‘builds’ (which, typically, they don’t). That’s what I mean by “change their gameplan” and increased costs.

• Free feedback on 1-80 normal world revenant.
  • Incentive to pre-order.
  • New players don’t feel left out because they don’t have 80 tomes.
  • Builds up the HoT release hype.

These aren’t powerful incentives for ANet to change their current plans.

• They can already get revenant feedback during the BETA and they don’t have to have it completely balanced for the current game.
  • There are already incentives to pre-order.
  • New players aren’t being left out — they can buy the game now and have plenty of time to get a character to L80. (Just not a revenant — still, if they are new, then all the profs are new, too.)
  • I’m not a big fan of ANet’s strategy for building up hype (I think they should have done some live game events, too). Still, adding the revenant early doesn’t add to the hype, it mostly dilutes it by eliminating one of the things that won’t be available until the actual release.

tl;dr the costs of the idea of an early revenant release far exceed the benefits to ANet. (The costs to the player are completely invisible and the benefits are obvious, so of course we want it now.)

Fox.3469

I do know the internal workings of game development, and even mmo development. Your assumption on comparing beta and live environments, and how they are completely different, and how it would require allot of work, is entirely wrong.
Now i don’t have exact details on Arenanet’s operation, but unless they did something completely bonkers in their structure, releasing this class a bit early should not only be possible with very little effort, but possibly even be safer in terms of not encountering unexpected problems.

This isn’t a technical issue. The revenant will be up and ready in your game days maybe even weeks before release, ready to play, it is far to tapped into the base game not to be. The only question is, when do we swap that switch. Your downloads on release day are the new maps, not the class, or any of the elite specs for that matter. So please don’t look for an excuse in technical stuff. It’s not an issue, unless A-net have the weirdest setup in code history.

This is a question purely on would it be good for the game or not, wich is an opinion of course, but in my opinion yes it would be.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Arlee.7038

I do know the internal workings of game development, and even mmo development. Your assumption on comparing beta and live environments, and how they are completely different, and how it would require allot of work, is entirely wrong. Now i don’t have exact details on Arenanet’s operation, but unless they did something completely bonkers in their structure, releasing this class a bit early should not only be possible, but possibly even be safer in terms of not encountering unexpected problems.

Unless you specifically know how Arenanet has things set-up in their programing for this game you can’t legitimately make the assumption it would be easy for them to just activate the Revenant without anything else that is coming with the HoT release. You might consider that sort of set-up bonkers, but then you probably don’t know everything about their engine and how things are set-up, so again that’s not really an assumption you can actually make.

Pretty sure there is no button or switch to just make Rev available, so probably should stop treating it as if it’s that simple.

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

it wont change very much other then why should it be the revenant as i want the mastery system in tyria a little before and use that or wait we can also do the pvp maps a little before.

why the class?
and if the class why not the rest? answer that in a way where all will be satisfied or at least the majority of all players.

there are a lot looking forward for the mastery changes and also a lot looking forward for the pvp map changes and wvw map changes and simply put there is no reason able to satisfy one that dont care about the new class but cares about any of the other things and then they will say stuff about why release the class first why not the thing i like and that will most likely be way releasing all at the same time is the smart thing;)

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

Just a flesh wound.3589

it wont change very much other then why should it be the revenant as i want the mastery system in tyria a little before and use that or wait we can also do the pvp maps a little before.

why the class?
and if the class why not the rest? answer that in a way where all will be satisfied or at least the majority of all players.

there are a lot looking forward for the mastery changes and also a lot looking forward for the pvp map changes and wvw map changes and simply put there is no reason able to satisfy one that dont care about the new class but cares about any of the other things and then they will say stuff about why release the class first why not the thing i like and that will most likely be way releasing all at the same time is the smart thing;)

You can get points towards the mastery system, right now. They said content in the vanilla maps that earn mastery points will be given to accounts that earned them when the expansion arrives.

For example, if doing the personal story gives you X mastery points and you do it before the expansion, you’ll get those points when the expansion arrives.

ANet may give it to you.