The class getting Shouts is the Necromancer

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Seems to me, that engineers getting hammer and more tank like traits, that they are more likely for shouts before the necro.

Personally, I found some of the reasons the OP listed as better arguments against necros getting shouts then of actually getting them. Such as no scholar or light armor profession having shouts.

Nah engi is getting “spirit weapons” engi/guard because druid is ele/ranger, it doesn’t matter what necro get it’s a loss-loss anyway with no backup changes.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

thats possible too. But as of this moment the zergling play style that GW1 MM provided doesn’t yet exist in GW2.

Yes it does….

to be a zergling and to control a group of expendable zerglings are two different things.

Buy a commander tag and tag up. Bam! One group of expendable zerglings :-P

players can decide to leave. Plus they don’t explode when they are killed.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I predict that there will be a mass exodus of necromancers to the revenant after seeing the changes, based on Anets track record with necromancers.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Enrif.7359

Enrif.7359

I predict that there will be a mass exodus of necromancers to the revenant after seeing the changes, based on Anets track record with necromancers.

And now the big thing
What if the necromamcers get a skilltype from revenant? Still unknown. Lot of possibilities!

Btw, i believe the Elemtalist tempest get Stances. My guess.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

And now the big thing
What if the necromamcers get a skilltype from revenant? Still unknown. Lot of possibilities!

Btw, i believe the Elemtalist tempest get Stances. My guess.

Honestly wouldn’t count on necro getting something from the revenant. Maybe inspiration from certain skills yes, but nothing unique from them. I’ve given up hope at this point tbh and am just waiting for the x-pac to drop so I can get back into the game.

Ele’s getting stances would be interesting however, though I haven’t actually played an elementalist. Though it’s hard to say what the elementalist lacks exactly. Condition maybe?

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

I think the Necro specialization should be called Commander, and their elite shout should be “This won’t end well!”

I’m down with that, except I think the name should be Marshal. One of the utility shouts could be “Moving On” to give a speed buff to nearby allies.

Posted by: Ojyh.9842

Ojyh.9842

Ritualist has been my theory for a long time now. I actually thought about possible specializations almost a year before they announced them, so I had a lot of time to think about it. The 2 ideas I was the most satisfyed with for Necro were Ritualist and some kind of Hemomancer.
When I saw Marjory took her sister’s sword and Belinda’s spirit entered the blade I immediately thought it was pretty obvious that Marjory would become a Ritualist.

But today I’m not so confident anymore….
My n°1 idea for the Ranger was Druid. And now it’s the first actual Ranger spec !
I didn’t think about Chronomancer, but it’s still totally fitting and stays in the same vein.
But I would NEVER have gone for something like Dragonhunter, especially not for the Guardian. Now that I know they can make so twisted and far-feteched design choices I worry about the next specs (while I was pretty confident before), and I’m not so sure about Ritualist anymore…

However I like the idea of shouting ritualists who give orders to the spirits contained in their weapons.

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

thats possible too. But as of this moment the zergling play style that GW1 MM provided doesn’t yet exist in GW2.

Yes it does….

to be a zergling and to control a group of expendable zerglings are two different things.

Well minions often decide to just stop attacking and watch (true story … )

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Yes it does….

Well minions often decide to just stop attacking and watch (true story … )

Stupid minions! But what can you expect from mindless piles of resurrected meat.

Posted by: jgcd.6041

jgcd.6041

I doubt Necromancers will take a comparable role to the Ritualist, mostly due to the fact that Revenant is already going to do so.

I think it’s going to be something along the lines of a reaper or a reaver, given that they get greatswords and the potential for cleaves and localized AoE, making them more of a condition giving burst damage class for a specialization.

- This is a forum, expect logic to get left at the door, beaten bloody, and set on fire.

- The more asinine the post or thread, the more I am amused.

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

“1. It would be the first Scholar class to gain access to them.”

I’m not sure why this would be a reason for Necro’s getting shouts, but all of your other reasons make sense to me.

I could definitely see Necro’s having shouts or something similar, and it definitely would help them in group situations. Although, I’m not exactly sure what shouts they’d get.

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

Posted by: sharkswithlazers.7632

sharkswithlazers.7632

Clearly, if the Dragonhunter is any indication, the Necromancer elite specialization will be called “Shouting Guy.”

I think you mean “Loud Noises”

Wrong again, it would have to be “The Noisinator”

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Necro getting shouts imply that the Elite Spec is Necro/Guard or Necro/Warrior

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Necro getting shouts imply that the Elite Spec is Necro/Guard or Necro/Warrior

Necro/warrior with GS and defiance bar shouting at you for the lulz!!!

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Mem no Fushia.7604

Mem no Fushia.7604

I would say: engi + shouts, precisely commands for his drons: do that, fly there, thanks you can explode.

Still for necro weapon spell/ghost basicaly in ritu vibre.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

So much humor win in this thread.

Posted by: Oberon Vex.1389

Oberon Vex.1389

“1. It would be the first Scholar class to gain access to them.”

I’m not sure why this would be a reason for Necro’s getting shouts, but all of your other reasons make sense to me.

I could definitely see Necro’s having shouts or something similar, and it definitely would help them in group situations. Although, I’m not exactly sure what shouts they’d get.

Shouts can be seen, thematically, to indicate leadership as you are ‘shouting’ to rally (buff) your allies or to indicate which enemy to attack etc. We have medium and heavy professions who can fill this role, but no light/scholar ones.

Also: guardians got traps, which were previously locked to the Adventurer category, so they are clearly thinking to bring skill types to professions from completely different archetypes.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

I totally want my Necro to have more melee but I don’t want to hear her screaming at people all day long.

Getting greatswords is fine since Anet seems to like to only design greatswords – though I like the shadow skins, gj on those – too bad they’re locked behind mind numbing rng lottery, and who the hell is shredding all the kitten tickets? You got some skritt in there tearing them all up so no one can have anything?

I don’t want to be a warrior or guardian replacement like what they did with the guardian making it into a ranger… and what’s up with the traited knockbacks? You just gave trolls a super power, thanks, now all the knockback rangers will be swapping to guardian for all the zerg content just to screw everyone over.

Anyway, our motif is death and summoning so I don’t want to see any of those ranger/ritualist spirits that symbolize life.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

ritualist spirits involve communition with the dead.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Most of them where about pain too, or different aspects of it.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Lily.1935

Most of them where about pain too, or different aspects of it.

Anger, hate and Suffering.

Attachments:

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

I think the Necro specialization should be called Commander, and their elite shout should be “This won’t end well!”

They also need an elite well called “This won’t end shout!”

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Necromancer won’t becoming a Ritualist. Thematically it’s not a big leap from undead minions to spirits – especially with the whole ghost sword thing Marjory has going on. However, the Ritualists power originated from the mists – before the Gods even granted magic to the rest of humanity.

Odds are that we’ll see a Ritualist option (Scepter) for the Revenant, their lore is definitely more fitting. Hell, they even have the blindfolds that were signature to Ritualists in GW1.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Clearly, if the Dragonhunter is any indication, the Necromancer elite specialization will be called “Shouting Guy.”

This made me lol

Lily.1935

Necromancer won’t becoming a Ritualist. Thematically it’s not a big leap from undead minions to spirits – especially with the whole ghost sword thing Marjory has going on. However, the Ritualists power originated from the mists – before the Gods even granted magic to the rest of humanity.

Odds are that we’ll see a Ritualist option (Scepter) for the Revenant, their lore is definitely more fitting. Hell, they even have the blindfolds that were signature to Ritualists in GW1.

Revenants are calling on legendary heros specifically. Unless a legendary hero they call on also calls on spirits, that isn’t likely to happen. So unless the specialization gives them master togo or something, I don’t see that happening.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

While I can see shouts working with necro, I am more inclined to think something like spirit weapons, seeing as Marjory has a spirit in her sword, maybe she learns how to bring other soul infused weapons in from the mists to assist her, which then gets passed on to other necros.

So long as the necro has some good group support I don’t mind what they get really.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Mem no Fushia.7604

Mem no Fushia.7604

Today image of 3rd spec? waiting forward concept art.

Posted by: heavenswrath.9850

heavenswrath.9850

Necro will get venoms from thief. It will be as useless as it is on thief.
Apothecary?Poison Mixer seems more likely >.>

Lyls Ethervain- Necro Eirys Shimmerfang- Mesmer
Feyra Icemane- Thief

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

And yet “Archer” and “Bowman” were among the community’s suggestions.

Posted by: Amantis.4091

Amantis.4091

No no, it has to be both uninspired AND something every other class already does just to be really confusing. I propose “Person who talks sometimes”

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

No no, it has to be both uninspired AND something every other class already does just to be really confusing. I propose “Person who talks sometimes”

Look, I know some of you got really hurt by a name, and want to continue crying about it as much as possible, but we have already had multiple threads created about this and the subject has been forced into many other unrelated topics as well. So, please lets keep the tears in the appropriate thread and try to stay on topic?

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

There are several reasons to think this.

1. It would be the first Scholar class to gain access to them.
2. The most obvious choices for shouts already have them.
3. Npc Necromancers have leadership roles (Trahearne and Marjory)
4. It would address the issue of party-support that Necro’s lack in.
5. Lastly, the existence of a set of skills from GW1: Orders.

Orders were a series of skills that Necromancers could use to apply specific effects to allies that triggered on landing a hit on the enemy. While I do not expect the exact effects to be applicable in GW2 gameplay, the name type would fit very well for a shout skill.

These were the GW1 skills:

Order of Apostasy: all allies remove an enchantment (read: boon) whenever they attack. 5s duration, lose 15% of your life-pool whenever a monk enchantment is removed.

This could be implemented as is to let every ally strip one boon for a total of 5 removals.

Order of Pain: Allies deal increased damage on attacks for 5s.

Could be a generic Might buff or vuln?

Order of Undeath: Minions deal increased damage on attacks for 5s, lose 2% max health whenever a minion attacks.

Not likely applicable, but the name could be re-purposed for a heal ability.

Order of the Vampire: allies steal X life on attacks for 5s.

Another possible heal ability.

So. Just sayin.

Necro’s will get shouts.

The problem with this theory is the role of the GreatSword… Is the Necro Elite Spec melee damage?

if so, it makes sense for their utilities and heals and elite from the Elite Spec to fit that role they trying to fill. Which I assume would be AoE damage. Physicals fit that, umm kits could fit that….conjures could fit that,,,,meditations could fit that, Manipulation could fit.

but how will Shouts address whats Necro’s missing?

Necros currently lack in the raw dps department in PvE. The other general gripe is that they can’t (reliably mind you, it’s technically possible though in practice not) stack might, or possibly add fury, who knows.

Those are the three biggies, melee cleave dps that scales well with max might, and might/fury stacks for the party.

They can do almost anything else, and would be far better if a number of their cooldowns got halved as they are at this moment (wells). But that would probably break them in other areas.

Shouts are a potential way to provide party-wide buffs, although having somebody go from the goth/emo vibe of Necro lore, to an angry shouting person would be rather strange. More likely if a Necro got shouts, it would be like the warrior’s “Fear Me!” or “On My Mark!” which place effects on the nearby enemies. Though this would likely not help them in the short term, there is potential play in it if it acts like thieves most recent healing skill, which puts an effect on an enemy that buffs (heals atm) allies for striking said enemy. Or in this case, grants/applies (at same time?) whatever the boon/condition may be.

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

I’m going to say “no” to this, but mainly because I want a Necro Spec that makes a vampirism build viable.

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

he doesnt look that shouty in the pic

Knighthonor.4061

Necro will get venoms from thief. It will be as useless as it is on thief.
Apothecary?Poison Mixer seems more likely >.>

AW NO!!! I hope not….

Posted by: Crossflip.4390

Crossflip.4390

I’m going to say “no” to this, but mainly because I want a Necro Spec that makes a vampirism build viable.

Amen to that, I wanna play a bloodsucking tank monster

Posted by: PetboyJoshua.3108

PetboyJoshua.3108

But what if I’m a boy necro? :P

Well, seeing that female necromancers turn into a buffed as hell male Lich, I don’t see why it would be more of a problem to just get a female monster name on male Necromancer. :p
It’s a fantasy world where bats look like gargoyles, one can imagine that Banshees aren’t all females in said universe. It’s not like they already exist in Tyria anyway.
I doubt it’s gonna be Banshee anyway, but I don’t see the whole “it’s a female creature name” as a real problem.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

In all the years I used to read Marvel Comics, I don’t recall anyone ever complaining that banshees must be female despite the original lore of the word. So even now I don’t think it’ll bother me much to have it become a gender equal term here. “Valkyrie” bothers me for the Guardian elite, though — likely because it’s such a common adjective used for strong, lovely women in modern English that the female connotations are much stronger.

I mean, sure, people will insult a woman by calling her a “banshee” to suggest she’s being far too strident, but it’s just not as pervasive a term.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070519032953/marveldatabase/images/5/5b/Sean_Cassidy_(Earth-616)_012.jpg

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Today image of 3rd spec? waiting forward concept art.

NECRO!
https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/597798279414489089/photo/1

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

I’m skeptical any class need more shouts (or banners for that matter.) Those aren’t interactive parts of the game, they’re just click and forget which does not encourage better gameplay.

Posted by: Shiki.7148

Shiki.7148

I’m skeptical any class need more shouts (or banners for that matter.) Those aren’t interactive parts of the game, they’re just click and forget which does not encourage better gameplay.

When will people start realizing that just cause skilltype x worked like y before, it doesn’t mean new skills from type x cannot work like z.

For example you could have damaging shouts, or shouts in the sense of “to call” that summon stuff, etc.
Just cause it is called a “shout” doesn’t mean it is a simple fire and forget type of thing. See DH traps and Mesmer wells. Are DH traps ground AE’s that pulse a different condition each over x seconds and thats it? No. Are Chronomancer wells simple ground targeted pulsing AE fields that either hurt / hinder the enemy or help your team? No, they have a unique mechanic where the last tick will cause bonus effects, as well as (almost) all of them do both hinder enemies and help allies. And the elite even has hard CC on it.
So yeah, shouts could definitly be more interesting…but we will see an example on thursday and the full package (propably minus traits cause PoI…) on friday.

RabbitUp.8294

They introduced a new mechanic with the revenant that changes the impact of a skill based on the distance of the target from the source. Shouts could possibly make use of that mechanic, like Shouts that affect your allies more the closer you are to them.

Knighthonor.4061

We already have shouts,,, its our Underwater Trident #2 skill
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Feast

guess people forgot about this. I call it a scream like the Everquest Shadow Knight… lol

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

We already have shouts,,, its our Underwater Trident #2 skill
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Feast

guess people forgot about this. I call it a scream like the Everquest Shadow Knight… lol

I don’t believe that skill is classified as a Shout. I’m not in game now to confirm, but I’m pretty sure. If you are referring to the picture looking like a Shout, I think it is representing the necromancer eating (or feasting per the name) life energy.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

Shouts in necro is so vanilla. Warrior mechanic is blah. Was hoping we maybe get spirits that are like Mesmer clones with some group buffs but explode with condis

Posted by: Papish.5806

Papish.5806

I’ll leave this quote from the Specializations Part two blogpost they had awhile ago.

“Almost every elite specialization will gain access to a complete set of new skills: a single heal, four utility skills, and one elite skill.”

The first word in that quote is pretty important imo.

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

I would actually like to see new mechanics for the elite specializations rather than having the same mechanics (e.g. shots, traps, wells, etc.) being redistributed to other professions.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

RabbitUp.8294

I would actually like to see new mechanics for the elite specializations rather than having the same mechanics (e.g. shots, traps, wells, etc.) being redistributed to other professions.

They implied this won’t happen, since the whole point of adding types to everything was to implement rune support for skill types, similar to the existing Rune of the Trapper.

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

They implied this won’t happen, since the whole point of adding types to everything was to implement rune support for skill types, similar to the existing Rune of the Trapper.

I’m worried then that elite specializations will just be adding further profession homogenization.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I’m worried then that elite specializations will just be adding further profession homogenization.

you call it homegenization, but its actually more like variability.

If they could do it all at once, it might be homegenization, but since they cant, its more variability.

I think in the long run, its a bad idea, not so much for homegenization, but more just because its going to get boring eventually, if they never add new skill interactions.

but since they said they might bring tomes back as a specialization, i think for this set it will just be other jobs skills, in a future release, hopefully they will break some new ground, with weapons, and charachter animations as well.