The reason TAUNT is GREAT for GW2

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

i agree with opener. Taunt makes for great opportunities for strategical combat. And given it’s a control effect, and not condition i think we can be sure that it’ll be short and scarce enough to not turn the whole game into perma taunt spams into the “tanks” (which we don’t have).

Many control effects are conditions, too. Daze and Stuns are stuns and not remove via condi cleanse, but fear for example is a condition, as is immobilize.

We don’t yet know if Taunt is a condition or a stun. I would actually assume it’s a condition like fear and will be affected by both stunbreak and condi cleanse.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

i agree with opener. Taunt makes for great opportunities for strategical combat. And given it’s a control effect, and not condition i think we can be sure that it’ll be short and scarce enough to not turn the whole game into perma taunt spams into the “tanks” (which we don’t have).

Many control effects are conditions, too. Daze and Stuns are stuns and not remove via condi cleanse, but fear for example is a condition, as is immobilize.

We don’t yet know if Taunt is a condition or a stun. I would actually assume it’s a condition like fear and will be affected by both stunbreak and condi cleanse.

Taunt is a status effect, not a condition.

From the blog post:

Taunt (Status Effect)
We have many different status effects in Guild Wars 2 that accomplish a variety of goals, such as knockdown, knockback, and daze.

So it won’t be affected by condi cleanse

Tom Gore.4035

From the blog post:

Taunt (Status Effect)
We have many different status effects in Guild Wars 2 that accomplish a variety of goals, such as knockdown, knockback, and daze.

Ok so you need a stunbreaker to remove it. All the more indication that taunts will be short-duration and long-cooldown. It will have pretty much zero effect in PvE, but obviously there will be some interesting applications for PvP.

One – Piken Square

maddoctor.2738

From the blog post:

Taunt (Status Effect)

Ok so you need a stunbreaker to remove it. All the more indication that taunts will be short-duration and long-cooldown. It will have pretty much zero effect in PvE, but obviously there will be some interesting applications for PvP.

Well I guess it will have similar effect to other status effects so it will all be based on their rework of Defiant (if any) to make them all useful in PVE.

Posted by: Mem no Fushia.7604

Mem no Fushia.7604

Probably unshakeable will get update and taunt won’t be neverendless secundo after taunt end they will focus normally, many of enemies will get taunt to pull us, there won’t be tank, but people will decide: ok he (boss/champion) will use now taunt 1 person need to die or save condi cleans for sake of our efforts. Anyone who says it sounds like trinity can say that as many times as he wants. Anet will implement taunt in way that suits their main politics about no-trinity, and people saying about trinity/fear about re-introduce of it will chill a little.

Tom Gore.4035

From the blog post:

Taunt (Status Effect)

Well I guess it will have similar effect to other status effects so it will all be based on their rework of Defiant (if any) to make them all useful in PVE.

Yeah Defiant would definitely need some looking into. There was some hint in the gameplay videos they showed from HoT that it will be changed into a meter of some sort. We’ll see. Would be nice if control effects would be useful in PvE too, without needing to have supreme coordination.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

kewl, knight, now you possibly get what you wanted and proclaimed in here for the last two years: WoW in Tyria.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

For me it will add something that’s been much missed in the Zerker Wars 2 and that’s trinity lite. The ability to put together a baseline trinity group if we so choose. All we need now is a rebalancing of the support roles so that they are more effective and that no class is left behind when it comes to support and all skills scale properly with +healing and bam it will be a reality.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

Broadly speaking agree with the OP, though am more reserved in my judgements at this stage. There’s still too few details.

But it does seem like the developers might be relaxing their no-trinity stance which could lead to some much needed diversity in combat.

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

The Taunt they proposed for GW2 is great. I think a lot of the people hating on it are seeing the word “taunt” assuming it’s an aggro grab, and hating it as such.
In reality, the Taunt effect they are bringing to GW2 is just a new form of CC and I’m actually really happy to see it included.
It’s kind of like a reverse fear…. except it doesn’t count as a condition, and you can auto attack during it.

Unless taunt skills have like 25%+ uptime, I don’t see how this will cause a trinity though lol. Not to mention defiance.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

This allows the Tanking role to be more effective and useful to the group.

Forgive me if I’m not all that excited for a return to the trinity system.

Drama queen…

Taunt as they describe it is no different from Fear, other than the direction it makes you run.

I’m commenting on his interpretation, not my own. Personally I think taunt will just be another abused mechanic on Skyhammer. If someone tries tanking with it they’ll fail miserably, because while it does pull all enemies towards you that’s pretty much all it does. We’ve had pulls since launch and they never resulted in the trinity system.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Here is a video of the new Taunt system in effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7zkWJxYqUA
SWEET!!!

maddoctor.2738

Drama queen…

Taunt as they describe it is no different from Fear, other than the direction it makes you run.

I’m commenting on his interpretation, not my own. Personally I think taunt will just be another abused mechanic on Skyhammer. If someone tries tanking with it they’ll fail miserably, because while it does pull all enemies towards you that’s pretty much all it does. We’ve had pulls since launch and they never resulted in the trinity system.

Exactly, it’s a new version of pull that doesn’t do anything to the threat list so nothing trinity-like in it.

Now that you said Skyhammer though, I wonder what will happen if you taunt a player that can’t reach you, if you are on a cliff for example. Will the target be standing still near the edge of the cliff unable to do anything or the Taunt will fail? With the way pathfinding works in the game (mobs getting stuck even in the smallest of rocks) Taunt will be equal to a Stun most of the time.

Knighthonor.4061

Drama queen…

Exactly, it’s a new version of pull that doesn’t do anything to the threat list so nothing trinity-like in it.

Now that you said Skyhammer though, I wonder what will happen if you taunt a player that can’t reach you, if you are on a cliff for example. Will the target be standing still near the edge of the cliff unable to do anything or the Taunt will fail? With the way pathfinding works in the game (mobs getting stuck even in the smallest of rocks) Taunt will be equal to a Stun most of the time.

Do you have proof that it does nothing to the threat list?

Because the developers said it changes the target of the foe. you keep saying it wont. But developers say it will. you have anything to back up what you are saying?

As for your question. You do realize that Taunt is a Status effect right?

if somebody is out of range of your skill, does the skill still effect them? think about it…

Actually I am having a problem with that right now on my Warrior in PvP of landing a stun because target is out of range. I guess you would expect that my stun will also still apply if the foe is standing on a cliff…

(edited by Knighthonor.4061)

maddoctor.2738

Drama queen…

Because the developers said it changes the target of the foe. you keep saying it wont. But developers say it will. you have anything to back up what you are saying?

You still don’t get it it’s getting funny really. Do you have any proof that it does ANYTHING to the threat list? Because the developers said nothing about it.

You use Taunt, the mob attacks you, taunt ends, the mob returns back to who it was attacking. The fact that the taunted mob will attack the player that used taunt on it doesn’t mean anything about the Threat list. I’m backing up what I’m saying, it seems you can’t.

Knighthonor.4061

Drama queen…

You still don’t get it it’s getting funny really. Do you have any proof that it does ANYTHING to the threat list? Because the developers said nothing about it.

You use Taunt, the mob attacks you, taunt ends, the mob returns back to who it was attacking. The fact that the taunted mob will attack the player that used taunt on it doesn’t mean anything about the Threat list. I’m backing up what I’m saying, it seems you can’t.

Threat list as we call it, is only a list of targets the NPC algorithm uses to determine who to attack.

So by forcing the foe to attack you, you are directly effecting that list.

In other MMOs with Taunts, the same rule apply. its a temporary change to the threat list to make the foe keep you at the top of the threat list algorithm. Once Taunt fades off, the target returns back to the normal algorithm function.

Meaning, that if somebody else is at the top of the threat list, the foe will target them.

There is a aggro chart in this game like in other trinity games. We just dont have access to it.

Certain skills in the game already have the ability to control the foe’s threat chart.

I have mentioned these skilled multiple times to you already for you to test out for yourself, and wont mention them individually right now.

maddoctor.2738

Drama queen…

Threat list as we call it, is only a list of targets the NPC algorithm uses to determine who to attack.

In other MMOs with Taunts, the same rule apply. its a temporary change to the threat list to make the foe keep you at the top of the threat list algorithm. Once Taunt fades off, the target returns back to the normal algorithm function.

Meaning, that if somebody else is at the top of the threat list, the foe will target them.

There is a aggro chart in this game like in other trinity games. We just dont have access to it.

Certain skills in the game already have the ability to control the foe’s threat chart.

I have mentioned these skilled multiple times to you already for you to test out for yourself, and wont mention them individually right now.

You still don’t get it.

If forcing the foe to attack you had any effect on the threat list then a stun or fear would reset the list because the mob can’t attack anyone. We all know that is NOT true and a feared / stunned mob won’t switch targets the moment it is stunned or feared. Therefore CC skills have no direct effect in the threat list. Why would Taunt have? It forces the mob to attack you while it’s in effect and then the mob reverts back. The DIFFERENCE with other MMORPGs is that in other MMORPGs Taunt also puts you on the top of the list.

Example:
Other MMORPG
Player 1: Threat 1000
Player 2: Threat 500

Player 2 uses Taunt:
Player 2: Threat 1000 (and gets aggro)

When the Taunt expires, if neither player attacks the mob, Player 2 retains aggro.

GW2

Player 2 uses Taunt:
Player 2: Threat 500 (still) +any aggro generated by the Taunt itself

The mob attacks Player 2 while it’s taunted, BUT if neither player attacks the mob, when Taunt ends it attacks Player 1 because he is still on top of the list.

In other MMORPGs it is written specifically that Taunt puts you on the TOP OF THE THREAT LIST. I haven’t seen any developer say it for GW2, have you?

Knighthonor.4061

Drama queen…

You still don’t get it.

If forcing the foe to attack you had any effect on the threat list then a stun or fear would reset the list because the mob can’t attack anyone. We all know that is NOT true and a feared / stunned mob won’t switch targets the moment it is stunned or feared. Therefore CC skills have no direct effect in the threat list. Why would Taunt have? It forces the mob to attack you while it’s in effect and then the mob reverts back. The DIFFERENCE with other MMORPGs is that in other MMORPGs Taunt also puts you on the top of the list.

Example:
Other MMORPG

Player 2 uses Taunt:
Player 2: Threat 1000 (and gets aggro)

When the Taunt expires, if neither player attacks the mob, Player 2 retains aggro.

GW2

Player 2 uses Taunt:
Player 2: Threat 500 (still) +any aggro generated by the Taunt itself

The mob attacks Player 2 while it’s taunted, BUT if neither player attacks the mob, when Taunt ends it attacks Player 1 because he is still on top of the list.

In other MMORPGs it is written specifically that Taunt puts you on the TOP OF THE THREAT LIST. I haven’t seen any developer say it for GW2, have you?

No Comment <—-ironic I know

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I don’t expect a carbon copy of a trinity system in this game. But I thought it’s a good idea of incorporate bits of it to try something different in terms of gameplay. Particularly with Taunting in that it makes Dungeons much easier to do when you need to get mobs off someone’s back.

@Rognik I can say that they didn’t break the mold completely but rather put a new spin on things to make it new. And I’m content with that.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

While I’m all for making healing and tanking viable (not required, Trinity is about locking people into those three roles, simply making them options isn’t bringing back Trinity), the fact is GW2 is downright punitive to anyone trying to play a healing or tanking role. Taunt won’t make tanking more effective, increasing healing power/toughness scaling and introducing an intervention mechanic (the opposite of aggro management, instead of magically grabbing attention you have to actively position yourself to shield others from attacks) is what’s needed to make tanking viable before we should even talk about effectiveness.

Punitive? I cant tell you how many times I’ve seen people in full zerker gear go down like a sack of wet rice. Meanwhile, me in my pvt gear survived much longer.

Its a tradeoff, and yes, switching “roles” does have its rewards. You can be just as punished for playing dps roles.

And running with a guardian who is specced for support has its advantages too.

So, no, it isn’t punitive.

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

I agree with the OP. Taunt will be great for the game. It will work somehow like a mechanic that let the players have aggro control for a few seconds. Is not a lot like classic trinity games but it is a good step.

While tank will probably not be needed/meta it will at least be able to exist. With 0 aggro controled by player there is no way a player can perform tank role. With taunt things change a little. Like now, it is possible to be a healer. It is not optimal, nor really effective but it is possible make a healer build and play it. Tank role right now is non existent. Will be existent after taunt changes.

Along the last months they did some substantial buffs to healer/suppor specs via new traits, new sigils, etc… And some nerfs to direct dmg output like might nerf, fgs/norn elite nerf, etc…

IMO anet is very very slowly moving to the right direction.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

Why do people have the misguided opinion that Taunt is for tanking and not simply a control/positioning effect. You don’t even need to have tanky gear; cast taunt and kite or dodge the attack and you don’t even need to worry about the damage.

Because mmo players love to jump to conclusions (myself included at times). People need to just put on the brakes and have a little faith that the Devs know their audience plays gw2 because to at least some degree do not like the hard trinity system.

Posted by: Rialen.1524

Rialen.1524

Guys, come on lol. Stop trying to turn taunts into a ‘The trinity is back’ discussion. It’s a non-sequitur argument. There have been lock down ccs all throughout the game’s history, and this is no different. Just drop the fairy tale dreams about a trinity, that’s not this game.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Punitive? I cant tell you how many times I’ve seen people in full zerker gear go down like a sack of wet rice. Meanwhile, me in my pvt gear survived much longer.

And i have seen bunker guards in defensive sets go down when i had no trouble in my zerker. In both cases i’m sure the difference was more about skill than gear.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

you wont have to worry about it in GW2, its not happening. Taunt is just a name, its effects are not like that of ‘tanking’ in the traditional sense. It is another addition to the damage mitigation available in game though and thats good.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

you wont have to worry about it in GW2, its not happening. Taunt is just a name, its effects are not like that of ‘tanking’ in the traditional sense. It is another addition to the damage mitigation available in game though and thats good.

And yet they hired a raid designer.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

And yet they hired a raid designer.

To design open-world bosses like that boss shown in the POI. If you get hung up on definitions from other MMOs, you’re going to be lining yourself up for disappointment.

(edited by Lazaar.9123)

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

There has been nothing to state that taunt will function any different for a full zerk toon than it will for a full sentinel toon. A "tank" in these instances could just as easily be a class in zerker gear specced for max amounts of cc instead of speccing for max amounts of % dps bonuses.

The only thing that could make a tanky "tank" required is if a new dungeon was somehow designed to require it, ie attacks that hit 1 person and have to be tanked and cant be blocked/dodged/ect., which is never going to happen imo.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Taunt is just reverse fear, stop thinking of it as a tanking tool.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Fear allows you to stay ranged taunt allows close combat with agro focused on the player which is called tanking

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Knighthonor.4061

Fear allows you to stay ranged taunt allows close combat with agro focused on the player which is called tanking

This^

Denial is big on this forum.

Now I see why Anet keeps stuff secret now….

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

How does Taunt bring back the trinity system when it’s a CC to make you attack your allies (it’s the opposite of fear)

So because you start hitting your teammates you suddenly need a tank / trinity? :/

IMO it’s much more interesting to see how it will be used against bosses with big attacks. Instead of dodging Kohler’s attack, someone Taunt’s him and then we go back DPSing him down.

A great example for taunt use is the ritual right before the last boss of arah path 3 where you kite all those _ (forget what they are called). Taunt could be used to pull them in and grab aggro more easily.

LostBalloon.6423

This^

The enemy player or mob will be running towards you auto attacking while you dish out melee dps on them. It’s not tanking its control. Just as how fear pushes everything away from the point it was cast at, taunt is great for grouping up mobs for a burst. Taunt to pull the enemy in a whole on skyhammer (yup, that map will be even more annoying in regards to player positionning) You can pull someone off a stop right into your burst to down them, etc.

Why do so many people want to think of gw2 and make it fit in a trinity mould…

Knighthonor.4061

This^

The enemy player or mob will be running towards you auto attacking while you dish out melee dps on them. It’s not tanking its control. Just as how fear pushes everything away from the point it was cast at, taunt is great for grouping up mobs for a burst. Taunt to pull the enemy in a whole on skyhammer (yup, that map will be even more annoying in regards to player positionning) You can pull someone off a stop right into your burst to down them, etc.

Yeah cause it’s not like Tanks do those things or anything….

Who was I fooling…

LostBalloon.6423

This^

Who was I fooling…

Silly me, let me boot up WoW or Wildstar, log on my tank and fill a DPS spot, after all, Tanks can do all that stuff according to you…

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Dazes and stuns will still be more effective at controlling a targets movement than taunts as they’ve been described.

Im much more interested in any planned changes to the defiance system and the impact it has on control-centric builds/playstyles.

Knighthonor.4061

This^

Who was I fooling…

Silly me, let me boot up WoW or Wildstar, log on my tank and fill a DPS spot, after all, Tanks can do all that stuff according to you…

Like I said, there is no fooling you. Sorry about that. Trying to fool you and all.

Lazaar.9123

This^

Who was I fooling…

There isn’t really much point in trying to explain it to these people, they will just cover their ears and refuse to admit they are over-thinking things.

Knighthonor.4061

Dazes and stuns will still be more effective at controlling a targets movement than taunts as they’ve been described.

Im much more interested in any planned changes to the defiance system and the impact it has on control-centric builds/playstyles.

How do you know Daze and Stun is more effective?

LostBalloon.6423

This^

Who was I fooling…

There isn’t really much point in trying to explain it to these people, they will just cover their ears and refuse to admit they are over-thinking things.

Pulling mobs to you already exists in this game, taunt is just another way to pull… thieves for instance can pull you in and by no means are they tanks….

Lazaar.9123

This^

Who was I fooling…

Pulling mobs to you already exists in this game, taunt is just another way to pull… thieves for instance can pull you in and by no means are they tanks….

Yeah, pretty much. I can definitely see where the new CC can be useful for specific encounters, but that’s really the way it is for all CC.

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

I don’t see why people are acting like this is a completely new thing.
It’s just an another Control effect.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Control_effect

You can already pull mobs with skills like Spectral Grasp, Scorpion Wire or that Guardian GS skill that AoE pulls.
Oh, or with Mesmer’s Focus skill!

Most of them are rarely used in PvE because you can just stack mobs in a corner and use a lot of might stacking and DPS stuff down.
Perhaps this will change in Heart of Thorns?
(I hope so! They did hire an AI director for HoT.)

I will say, though, that Spectral Grasp is pretty amusing in WvW, pulling people off towers right into your Zerg.
Mesmer’s Focus pull is pretty funny there, too!

I think that Taunt will be much the same.
Taunting someone off a tower in WvW will be funny!

In PvE, well, unless mob AI is made drastically better nobody will bother using it outside of niche scenarios.
Looking at Fear most Taunts will probably last 3 sec max.

I’d be glad to see GW2’s soft trinity of Damage/Support/Control actually working in PvE.

I think that what some of you mean by “tanking” is very different from what others mean by it.
In trinity-heavy MMOs a tank is someone who just stands still yelling “COME AT ME BRO” and putting up defenses while some massive dragon hits him in the face repeatedly.

On the other hand if you mean tanking as in “I’ll equip full Soldier’s set on my Guardian and try to hold this mob’s attention while kiting it around wildly, dodging, reflecting projectiles, setting up knockback-fields etc.” then yeah that would probably be pretty fun.
That’s the sort of thing that was meant to be a viable thing to do.

Benight[Edge]

Knighthonor.4061

This^

Who was I fooling…

Yeah, pretty much. I can definitely see where the new CC can be useful for specific encounters, but that’s really the way it is for all CC.

Well let’s call it a Controller, instead of Tank, since y’all so hurt by the word Tank, even though the Tank is a Controller.

So now we can play dedicated Controller.

Do you, or do you not, have a problem with that?

Lazaar.9123

This^

Who was I fooling…

Well let’s call it a Controller, instead of Tank, since y’all so hurt by the word Tank, even though the Tank is a Controller.

In what way are dazes, stuns, blinds, knockdowns, pulls, petrify, float, fear, launch, or ice block related to tanks at all? Is my condition necromancer now a tank by your definition?

Knighthonor.4061

This^

Who was I fooling…

In what way are dazes, stuns, blinds, knockdowns, pulls, petrify, float, fear, launch, or ice block related to tanks at all?

It reduces damage to the Controller, same thing a Tank does. Tank has many tools to reduce damage. Otherwise they would be lumber for a fire somewhere.

As for your edit,

Last time I checked, a class doesn’t determine a tank. In Rift, mages can tank. Tanking is a role, not a class.

Any class build with good control of mob AI and Mob-Damage is a tank.

(edited by Knighthonor.4061)

Lazaar.9123

This^

Who was I fooling…

In what way are dazes, stuns, blinds, knockdowns, pulls, petrify, float, fear, launch, or ice block related to tanks at all?

It reduces damage to the Controller, same thing a Tank does. Tank has many tools to reduce damage. Otherwise they would be lumber for a fire somewhere.

Is thief now a tank because it uses scorpion wire to pull a foe? You’re trying too hard to link things together now.

Knighthonor.4061

This^

Who was I fooling…

Is thief now a tank because it uses scorpion wire to pull a foe? You’re trying too hard to link things together now.

Controlling a Mob AI and controlling its Damage-output makes a tank.

In Rift, a Mage, and Rogue can all tank. All classes can tank. Because they prevent damage to themselves and group, while controlling mobs AI.

Taunt in GW2 does just that!

Lazaar.9123

This^

Who was I fooling…

In Rift, a Mage, and Rogue can all tank. All classes can tank. Because they prevent damage to themselves and group, while controlling mobs AI.

And Guild Wars 2 isn’t Rift now, is it? ArenaNet has done many things non-traditionally, I don’t get why you think their versions of definitions is so shocking to you.

Knighthonor.4061

This^

Who was I fooling…

And Guild Wars 2 isn’t Rift now, is it? ArenaNet has done many things non-traditionally, I don’t get why you think their versions of definitions is so shocking to you.

And many things that are traditional. Taunt being one of them.
I assume you had a point,

LostBalloon.6423

This^

Who was I fooling…

-_- he calls GW2 thieves tanks, I think it says enough about his understanding of the trinity system… And he seems to exclude the fact that tanks are not gods even in trinity, they are heavily dependent on healers to keep their health up because they actually eat a lot of damage and not necessarily mitigate it…