Trahaerne's Role

Trahaerne's Role

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: myren.5490

myren.5490

So the “personal” cough TRAHAERNE cough story was overall ok in spite of our spotlight being robbed. So I’m curious as to what Trahaerne’s role in HoT will be. I got a feeling Rytlock will be stealing Trahaerne’s spotlight so here’s to hoping Trahaerne becomes corrupted and we get to kill him.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

So the “personal” cough TRAHAERNE cough story was overall ok in spite of our spotlight being robbed. So I’m curious as to what Trahaerne’s role in HoT will be. I got a feeling Rytlock will be stealing Trahaerne’s spotlight so here’s to hoping Trahaerne becomes corrupted and we get to kill him.

From your lips, to Grenth’s ears.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Trahearne didn’t steal anyone’s glory. The PC is still one of the most powerful and influential figures in all of Tyria and someone Trahearne himself looks to for guidance. It seems kind of silly to me that Trahearne is treated as if he purposely phased out the PC’s accomplishments and made everyone think he was the one who performed all the hero’s tasks.

If anything our name and role is too major. Future installments in the franchise will have to tip toe around our character’s name just like this installment needs to be careful not to give any information on the hero that repeatedly saved the world in GW1.

As for the topic, it looks like Rytlock will be the Trahearne of this story. He will be the one leading the charge while our character does all the impossible feats of heroism to make the end goal come to fruition.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Trahearne didn’t steal anyone’s glory. The PC is still one of the most powerful and influential figures in all of Tyria and someone Trahearne himself looks to for guidance. It seems kind of silly to me that Trahearne is treated as if he purposely phased out the PC’s accomplishments and made everyone think he was the one who performed all the hero’s tasks.

If anything our name and role is too major. Future installments in the franchise will have to tip toe around our character’s name just like this installment needs to be careful not to give any information on the hero that repeatedly saved the world in GW1.

As for the topic, it looks like Rytlock will be the Trahearne of this story. He will be the one leading the charge while our character does all the impossible feats of heroism to make the end goal come to fruition.

For non-Sylvari characters the story moves very quickly from death of mentor/introduction to Traherne to Traherne’s the leader of the pact. Had it been one of Destiny’s Edge, it may have gone over better. Player wise at least.

If Traheene had been better fleshed out before he took over, more players may have been accepting of the role be had.

As for me, I’m also aware that you don’t have your leader who keeps bickering parties cooperating go into dangerous battle. What happens if they die?

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Ethecatl, I agree we should be more downplayed. Our role should be one of “helper” in the greater story or it starts feeling like WE should be the pact leader moving armies and sending hundred to die on this beach so we can land thousands on another.

Seera, if he dies he becomes a martyr that those bickering parties can rally around. They all have one thing in common, a shared friend and leader/advisor has been killed…so rally round and avenge them.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Snarftastic.6709

Snarftastic.6709

in MMO’s I much prefer to be a powerful adventurer, rather than a central focal point of the story and the hero and destroyer of everything (just see how ridiculous the WoW story is getting).

Just my 2 cents though.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

We see him in the HOT release trailer. At the end. Livin’ large.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

There have been hints that some Sylvari Commanders have been corrupted by Mordremoth. I wouldn’t be surprised if we have to work with Trahearne on killing we one we know from the PS, for good so it can’t regrow, and Trahearne is heartbroken, worried about his own sanity, etc. I can imagine us having to prop him up, and maybe he goes into retirement at the end, or sacrifices himself somehow.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Compared to our character, Trehearne has a actual job as the Pact Leader.

As pact leader he is expected to constantly take part in military meetings, development of military plans, project approval, planning the locations of Pact bases, Resource management, Recuitment of Pact members, constantly developing political connection, complete the piles of daily Paper work on his desk in his office, and etc even when a operation to kill aElder Dragon is not going on so our character doesn’t have to do all these tasks.

What does our character do when he or she doesn’t need to go kill a Elder Dragon or save the world? Adventuring and freelancer jobs.

Trahaerne's Role

Seera.5916

Ethecatl, I agree we should be more downplayed. Our role should be one of “helper” in the greater story or it starts feeling like WE should be the pact leader moving armies and sending hundred to die on this beach so we can land thousands on another.

Seera, if he dies he becomes a martyr that those bickering parties can rally around. They all have one thing in common, a shared friend and leader/advisor has been killed…so rally round and avenge them.

That’s assuming they are bonded enough with the leader at the time and the leader’s charisma. Whether Traherne had that during the fight against Zhaitan, well never know.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

This again?

The major flaw with Trahearne (in my opinion) is how he’s shoehorned into the story, unless you’re a sylvari character, then you’ve at least seen him a few times early on. Other than that, his voice acting in the beginning had some issues, but as of Season 2 and the reworking of the Personal Story, that seems to have been resolved.

He confides in you for many major decisions in the fight against Zhaitan, and with one exception, never claims credit for anything you do. While the other NPCs around him do praise him a bit much, he makes it clear that (in his view, anyways) you’re the one he and everyone else really counts on.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

I’m terrified of losing him. He’s my favorite character.

let the sky fall

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

Reminder that he’s been carrying around Caladbolg since the year of the PS. A sword produced by the Pale Tree, the same being that’s been giving birth to dragon minions.

Coincidentally, Priory characters encounter a sword forged with Jormag’s blood in the PS. It radiates corruption, and one cut is enough to turn a norn into an icebrood.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

And yet, I still find Rytlock infinitely more likable than Trahearne. While playing the Beta, I did not feel at all, like Rytlock was stealing my thunder, and he certainly wasn’t lagging behind me, doing kitten-all, while I died over and over again, and then taking all the credit.
Whatever the reason, Trahearne is found to be incredibly annoying to a vast amount of players, myself included.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I also hope that we will kill the most annoying NPC ever, Trahearne.
I think... no I know we all want to kill him.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Arahzor.1832

Arahzor.1832

Killing Trahaerne would be the best thing since SAB

Arahor Aure [DVDF]

Trahaerne's Role

EdwinLi.1284

I’m questioning if these people who want Trehearne to die even know what it may lead to.

The only reason why the Player character have their freedom to adventure the world of GW is because Trehearne does all the not so important Jobs as the Pact Leader which I already listed in my first post.

Unless they already have a new character ready to replace Trehearne as the Pact Leader I doubt he will ever die. Maybe become less important, making only small appearances here and there when the Pact is involved, as the story become more focused on Destiny Edge and Destiny Edge 2.0 but that about it for my expectations.

Player character can’t become the Pact Leader due to being a member of one of the three Orders not to mention the Lore reason why the Player character can be adventuring, PvPing, and WvWing is because all the time consuming task goes to the Pact Leader which is Trehearne.

A Member of Destiny Edge and Destiny Edge 2.0 are too whiny for my taste to be a Pact Leader. I still haven’t forgotten how Destiny Edge constantly argued like children in the Dungeon Storyline. They also have their own personal issues in their Nations which they often do get involved with. Destiny Edge 2.0 are not as experienced as Destiny Edge and current they’re always being lead to important places by this “E” person, or persons.

As for another character taking Trehearne’s place well you know what they say “be careful what you wish for” because Anet may just put a NPC with a far more hateable personailty as the new Pact Leader.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

Trahaerne's Role

Seera.5916

I also hope that we will kill the most annoying NPC ever, Trahearne.
I think… no I know we all want to kill him.

Please don’t talk for me. I do not wish to kill Traherne. While he’s not my favorite character, he’s not a glory stealer or a bad character at all.

Trahaerne's Role

Nike.2631

I’m questioning if these people who want Trehearne to die even know what it may lead to.

A better story? More emphasis on the individual Orders and the choices WE made rather than all road lead to Orr?

Unless they already have a new character ready to replace Trehearne as the Pact Leader I doubt he will ever die.

They do and always have: The leaders of the Orders, who get handed the idiot ball so that we can have the one true leafy messiah.

Once Trahearne is the raid boss we’ve all seen coming, the Pact can go back to what it should have been all along – an alliance of 3 diverse but dedicated factions fighting the dragons.

Trahaerne's Role

Seera.5916

A better story? More emphasis on the individual Orders and the choices WE made rather than all road lead to Orr?

Unless they already have a new character ready to replace Trehearne as the Pact Leader I doubt he will ever die.

They do and always have: The leaders of the Orders, who get handed the idiot ball so that we can have the one true leafy messiah.

Once Trahearne is the raid boss we’ve all seen coming, the Pact can go back to what it should have been all along – an alliance of 3 diverse but dedicated factions fighting the dragons.

So should it be the Whispers leader and anger all those who prefer Vigil or Priory? A non-order pact leader is the only way to go unless you want to force all living story steps to require personal story completion. Because otherwise how do you assume they have an order? Plus, it keeps the other orders from thinking that the order of the pact leader gets preference with regards to missions, supplies, and glory.

Trahaerne's Role

EdwinLi.1284

They already stated the Leader of the Pact must not be a member of any order or else one will be seen above the rest. The three Order leaders also have shown they are unable to work together due to their own bias beliefs as members of their own Order. Even before the Pact is formed they doubted any attempt to work with the other Orders would work.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

Trahaerne's Role

Nike.2631

They already stated the Leader of the Pact must not be a member of any order or else one will be seen above the rest. The three Order leaders also have shown they are unable to work together due to their own bias beliefs as members of their own Order. Even before the Pact is formed they doubted any attempt to work with the other Orders would work.

That would be the aforementioned idiot ball. They’ve shown themselves unable to work together TO CREATE A JUSTIFICATION for the leafy messiah. At this point he’s served his purpose — they’ve all had a chance to ramp down those prejudices in the face of experience. He’s also demonstrated the sheer folly of overcommitting their individual resources to the Pact where they can be destroyed en masse.

So should it be the Whispers leader and anger all those who prefer Vigil or Priory? A non-order pact leader is the only way to go unless you want to force all living story steps to require personal story completion. Because otherwise how do you assume they have an order? Plus, it keeps the other orders from thinking that the order of the pact leader gets preference with regards to missions, supplies, and glory.

There’s little demonstrable advantage to there being a SOLE LEADER at all. The three Order leaders can manage the highest level policy and they can assign Pact taskforce commanders to individual tasks. Having Trahearne continue to lead everything after the action moved out of his theater of expertise lead (unsurprisingly) to disaster.

(edited by Nike.2631)

Trahaerne's Role

Seera.5916

That would be the aforementioned idiot ball. They’ve shown themselves unable to work together TO CREATE A JUSTIFICATION for the leafy messiah. At this point he’s served his purpose — they’ve all had a chance to ramp down those prejudices in the face of experience. He’s also demonstrated the sheer folly of overcommitting their individual resources to the Pact where they can be destroyed en masse.

There’s little demonstrable advantage to there being a SOLE LEADER at all. The three Order leaders can manage the highest level policy and they can assign Pact taskforce commanders to individual tasks. Having Trahearne continue to lead everything after the action moved out of his theater of expertise lead (unsurprisingly) to disaster.

But what happens if there’s only enough resources to tackle a problem one way and each order has its own idea for how to tackle it? Who decides which idea is done if the three orders each honestly think their own idea is the best option?

So who would you say has the expertise on Mordremoth at this time that is capable of being a leader of the pact? Was it smart for Traherne to remain in command of the pact and not find someone else to lead it given the revelation on Sylvari and how some people may react to that? Probably not, but even the best leaders can and do make mistakes (I’m not saying Traherne was ever the best leader, he was a bit too unsure of himself to ever be the best leader.). And had Traherne even been given the information about Sylvari (I’ve been slack on finishing up LS2 so he might have and I’m not aware of it.)?

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

I’ll have the chopped Trahearne salad with the spicy Rytlock dressing.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

Killing him if he became corrupted would be fun but then again we all know what happened to Kormir…

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Killing him if he became corrupted would be fun but then again we all know what happened to Kormir…

Yeah…but you got to know Kormir and I kinda liked her.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Sinsko.9342

Sinsko.9342

I’d be ok with Trahaerne having a fatal end at the start of HoT…

Nothing too extravagant, more along the lines of… stumbling on the top of a keep, tripping over a rock and falling to a death from just the right height.

100% Fan service, and little effort to design.

Saints – Ranger / Vincent Nightmare – Thief

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Unless they already have a new character ready to replace Trehearne as the Pact Leader I doubt he will ever die. Maybe become less important, making only small appearances here and there when the Pact is involved, as the story become more focused on Destiny Edge and Destiny Edge 2.0 but that about it for my expectations.

Player character can’t become the Pact Leader due to being a member of one of the three Orders not to mention the Lore reason why the Player character can be adventuring, PvPing, and WvWing is because all the time consuming task goes to the Pact Leader which is Trehearne.

A Member of Destiny Edge and Destiny Edge 2.0 are too whiny for my taste to be a Pact Leader. I still haven’t forgotten how Destiny Edge constantly argued like children in the Dungeon Storyline. They also have their own personal issues in their Nations which they often do get involved with. Destiny Edge 2.0 are not as experienced as Destiny Edge and current they’re always being lead to important places by this “E” person, or persons.

As for another character taking Trehearne’s place well you know what they say “be careful what you wish for” because Anet may just put a NPC with a far more hateable personailty as the new Pact Leader.

Not to forget that the Destiny´s Edge group consist of an official traitor and turncoat, a mad smurf scientist, an isolationist with a family problem, a hotheaded xenophobic kitty and a naive salad traitor girl.

I would not trust one of them to get my laundry, not to speak of a makeshift army.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Christina.7926

Christina.7926

Not to forget that the Destiny´s Edge group consist of an official traitor and turncoat, a mad smurf scientist, an isolationist with a family problem, a hotheaded xenophobic kitty and a naive salad traitor girl.

I would not trust one of them to get my laundry, not to speak of a makeshift army.

That’s all fine and true, but I have legitimately never hated an NPC as much as I hate Trahearne. I know I don’t speak for everyone, but I loved feeling as if I was actually accomplishing huge things in the game (such as in GW1, when the player is the one who “saves the world”), rather than just sitting in the back watching some NPC I hate get all the awesome rewards (Caladblog) and credit. At this point, I know ANet isn’t going to suddenly make my character the center of attention (even though that would be cool), but I would gladly settle for a new NPC to take the place of Trahearne, who I want nothing more than to see turn traitorous Mordremoth minion and die. Knock on wood, but I don’t think ANet could make a replacement NPC for him that I would end up hating more than I already hate Trahearne right now.

Bump fixing the Monk Outfit?

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

Trehearne is cool. I like him. I think he and Faolin are probably my favorite characters…

Better than fruit-charr. How the hell did the Order let in someone so…clueless.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

Compared to our character, Trehearne has a actual job as the Pact Leader.

As pact leader he is expected to constantly take part in military meetings, development of military plans, project approval, planning the locations of Pact bases, Resource management, Recuitment of Pact members, constantly developing political connection, complete the piles of daily Paper work on his desk in his office, and etc even when a operation to kill aElder Dragon is not going on so our character doesn’t have to do all these tasks.

What does our character do when he or she doesn’t need to go kill a Elder Dragon or save the world? Adventuring and freelancer jobs.

this is all irrelevant… we see none of this… we read none of this, so this is all conjecture the player is forced to make up or imagine as an afterthought. Trehearne is spotlighted and this story event revolves around him. That is why people dont like him. theres no backstory of him with 90% of the other races, he pops out of nowhere weilding some sword and commanding all of tyrias forces with all the dramatic monotone fashion of a garbage pail… he needs to go… permanently…

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I want Trahearne to die, and I want it to be by our hand. But, I also want it to be by HIS order.

It shouldn’t take too long for Mordremoth to realize that if he can capture and corrupt Trahearne, then he’s pretty much won. With the knowledge he would gain, and the chance to crush the spirit of the remaining Pact forces, Mord’s victory would be assured. So, he focuses on Trahearne. We try to get him out of there, and when we’re unable to, Trahearne makes the call. He hands us Caladblog and tells us to use it. His life for Tyria.

When we finally get free, we take Caladbolg back to the injured Pale Tree, and stab it into the ground in the avatar’s chamber, forcing into her mind the memory of Trahearne’s final moments. Forcing her to realize just how much her deceptions and manipulations have cost not only Tyria, but herself as well. And when she begs for forgiveness, we can tell her to kitten off. We’ve got a world to save.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Trahaerne's Role

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

I want Trahearne to die, and I want it to be by our hand. But, I also want it to be by HIS order.

It shouldn’t take too long for Mordremoth to realize that if he can capture and corrupt Trahearne, then he’s pretty much won. With the knowledge he would gain, and the chance to crush the spirit of the remaining Pact forces, Mord’s victory would be assured. So, he focuses on Trahearne. We try to get him out of there, and when we’re unable to, Trahearne makes the call. He hands us Caladblog and tells us to use it. His life for Tyria.

When we finally get free, we take Caladbolg back to the injured Pale Tree, and stab it into the ground in the avatar’s chamber, forcing into her mind the memory of Trahearne’s final moments. Forcing her to realize just how much her deceptions and manipulations have cost not only Tyria, but herself as well. And when she begs for forgiveness, we can tell her to kitten off. We’ve got a world to save.

(stewie’s voice) “you you you… you.. you.. you…you………….. I think I like you!”