Trailer!!

Trailer!!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Grenthblood.1358

Grenthblood.1358

Ok, this was… Very bad.

Incredibly bad, even.

ArenaNet has fallen in the same trap a lot of MMORPG developers fall into – they are putting the NPCs under the spotlight to the detriment of the player characters. This has always been an issue for ArenaNet – from people complaining that Prince Rurik was stealing the show in GW: Prophecies, then Mhenlo in GW: Factions, Kormir in Nightfall and later Traheanne in GW2. It would have been expected that ArenaNet would know better than to do an entire trailer – and something they’re calling such a big thing like the “launch trailer” – focusing exclusively on showing NPCs being “cool”. The message here is clear – Rytlock will be the next Traheanne, don’t expect your character to be the hero of the story.

It’s also sad to see how ArenaNet has lost one of their most unique aspects, the use of animated concept art for cinematics. The last time we saw this in full force was at the video right after character creation, but since the first time we saw it – the Guild Wars 2 Teaser Video - it was widely praised. I’m not surprised ArenaNet has mostly abandoned this format – one of the main artists responsible for it, Kekai Kotaki, has left the company. But it’s still a big symbol of how much ArenaNet has lost.

Mordemoth’s voice is also very cliché. He sounds like a Protoss – that effect they have added to his voice must be one of the most overused sound effects in games. It shows a huge lack of creativity.

I’m very disappointed in this trailer.

You seem to have forgotten about this.

Along with several other instances in-game over even just the past year. Including this.

Please tell me again how they’ve “strayed from their unique aspects, and stopped using cinematic concept art”…

On topic though. I found the trailer to be wonderful, if brief. I understand it’s going to be the primary advert played on streaming sites and elsewhere, so it has to stay short, but I’m a lore junkie, and pretty things make me smile :P

That being said… Where was Rox?!? Also, if Rytlock is supposed to be helping us search for Destiny’s Edge, where are they? If my snarky buddy Zojja truly goes MIA, I can’t promise that I won’t just torch the jungle while spear-heading a full scale search and rescue mission. You’ve all been warned! (Psst, bring marshmallows)

EDIT: To address your issue with the voice. It’s more than likely a form of layering, utilized as a preset filter. This allows the dev team to spend less time and money to make something that still sounds good. That being said… This type of layering is typically done to provide an audible recognition of sub-audible sound waves that produce vibrations so powerful you can feel them, despite not being able to hear them. Think of that guy driving past at 3 in the morning with subwoofers lining every part of his vehicle but the driver’s seat. Same thing. You can hear the underlying music producing it, but you can also FEEL the vibrations from the sub-audible frequencies being produced. The voice layering is trying to produce the same effect, and is, in fact, more pronounced when you have a surround sound set hooked up to your PC with a good sub. Hope the technical lesson helped you understand why it’s a technique commonly used in any non-live industry reliant on audio-visual acuity and depth; in order to better tell an engaging story and provide a sense of realism for their consumers, who typically use this entertainment medium as an escape from the toil of everyday life.

(edited by Grenthblood.1358)

Trailer!!

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Rytlock is the Kormir!!! Well at least he swings he’s sword.

Trailer!!

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

end of the trailer was not mordey apparently

in the behind the scenes of making of the HoT launch trailer

they referenced to that enemy as a “large vine monster”

Trailer!!

Posted by: Athel.2076

Athel.2076

end of the trailer was not mordey apparently

in the behind the scenes of making of the HoT launch trailer

they referenced to that enemy as a “large vine monster”

The Pale Tree has a new look for autumn…

Ice dragon, fire dragon, risen dead from Orr,
branded creature, icebrood creature, war war war.
mel: Soft kitty.

Trailer!!

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

Ta daaaa! I love it. Did y’all see it?

Watched the HOT Trailer

since u ask

It was promising at start Cool wording ( I am This WORLD) awesome!!!!

but from there it went downhill

( Note to ur Art Director) Slow-motion action is only good for comedy a la KungkittenPanda, I was like LOL where is the Funny Face of the Dragon?

Also 2 Times slow motion suck triple hard

Showing the Dragon at the end super lame … He was build up at start as a Man in the shadows revealing him at the end … woooww talk about Spoiler

Rytlock didn’t done any Bad kitten Move. Dodging the dragon after killing him (Kitten Move yes I wrote Kitten) Also His Puny Sword….

A True Bad kitten will turn around while the Monster stop a cm in front of his back to roll the Floor.

Tip to ur Art Director Watch some Bad kitten Movies ala 300 to learn how to kick kitten .

PS

I can see a lot WOW resemblance in the start, that’s ok but if u build up like WOW with manly Voices try be creative a Plant Dragon deserve a better sound effect maybe a Echoing Whisper thru the Trees after every Word he says.

Or Why not a little Boy Voice. Dragons are old in compare to us but they may age differently and the reason for them being Kitten might be that they are selfish child’s after all.

all in all a good try but it shows anet still don’t know how to hype

GET CREATIVE PLZ !!!!

PS why the hell Is KungkittenPanda censored with Kitten???

(edited by Balsa.3951)

Trailer!!

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Heh. Was a little short, was it not?

Yeah I was expecting something a bit more meaty, but I’ve gotten use to WoW expansion trailers I guess.

And it doesn’t show anything about the actual game either. Was that just a preview or is that really supposed to hook players who have no clue about GW2 whatsoever?

Yeah, ANet has been very careful not to spoil anything (narratively speaking) from HoT. So I guess the cinematic team didn’t have a lot of work with. Still it wasn’t bad. Would have loved it if they had included the rest of the Biconics, you know slowly panning across the Biconics before focusing on Rytlock fighting the Modrem.

That’ll be to pry Rytlock from between his teeth presumably

Yeah, my money’s on the giant vine monster in that fight.

ArenaNet has fallen in the same trap a lot of MMORPG developers fall into – they are putting the NPCs under the spotlight to the detriment of the player characters.

Yeah but, I’ve got 12th character myself. I’d imagine most players have more than 1. So how would they have put the PC in the trailer? Would it have been a Norn, a Charr, a Sylvari, a Human, a Asura? Boy or girl?

Showing the Dragon at the end super lame … He was build up at start as a Man in the shadows revealing him at the end … woooww talk about Spoiler

It looks like that wasn’t Mordremoth, not technically.

Trailer!!

Posted by: portedGoblin.7413

portedGoblin.7413

Why is Rytlock wielding a dagger as a 2hander?

Trailer!!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

That’s his flaming dragon sword, although yes it does look very short when not aflame.

Trailer!!

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

That’s a 1h sword. You can get the same skin via hall of monument points from GW1. Still leaves the question why he’s wielding a 1h sword as a 2hander though…

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Trailer!!

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Rytlock is the Chuck Norris of GW2. He can wield whatever he likes, however he likes.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Trailer!!

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

That ending…?

I love TRAHEARNE’s new look.

Because a Sylvarii firstborn necromancer that can MASS SPAWN flesh golems just screams “raid boss”…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Trailer!!

Posted by: Dragongal.6390

Dragongal.6390

Why no love for Rox in the trailer?