Transmutation/Skins still disappointing

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Sorin Noroku.5342:“Now this is also ONLY using the money from daily rewards! Passive playing will get you more. You want to change looks, just spend a bit of gold.”

Sounds like you are saying that it is fine to purchase clothing and then have to pay a fee to actually wear that clothing. Doesn’t make sense to me.

You only need to pay to use a skin more than once. Skins you buy from the gem store come as a consumable item that allows you to apply that skin once for free as well as permanently unlocking it in your wardrobe at the same time.

Which is a lot better than the old system before the wardrobe, let me tell you.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

As much as this issue is a non-issue for me, I do concede OP’s point that buying TC’s on the gem store is horrible value, whether you use RL money or gold to get your gems.

Only Anet can know, but I can’t imagine TC’s being a large money earner for them, since regular players accumulate them so easily. If they made the TC’s cheaper (say double the number of TC’s per unit of gems), maybe it’ll improve the value for less regular players and actually drive up sales.

For the rest of us, it doesn’t change anything… something we consider worth $0 will always be worth $0 no matter how much it gets discounted/devalued by.

Posted by: Zeyta.3519

Zeyta.3519

And people who dont see an issue with said system are perfectly ok to come here and say so.

It might not be a big enough click of the game population that agree with you to be worth the cost the rewamping of the system would cost.

I’m sure they are. But why not add something contributive that can be of use, instead of repeating what the past users have said that the system is perfect and nothing is wrong?

If a better system was introduced, I can guarantee you the same people would be claiming the change was excellent and nothing need change, again. People go along with this because it’s what we have. Yet they don’t have any reasons for why the current system is superior to a better possible system. All it takes is a little intelligence and imagination.

What do you consider a better system?
Give more TC’s? Eliminate TC’s altogether and make skin changes for free?
It seems to me, and many others, that the system as is is fine. TC’s are abundant, and unless you are changing out your look multiple times a day on multiple characters, there should be no reason one shouldn’t have enough TC’s to get the perfect look they want.

The OP just told you, they want there to be no TC’s and to get skins or items you can do stuff more oriented to the game content, like events and stuff.

(edited by Zeyta.3519)

Zeyta.3519

If I needed Transmutation Charges (I don’t; I have hundreds just from playing the game), I would use the current maps’ currency (Gold) to exchange (to Gems) to acquire said Transmutation Charges. Only doing what I felt was ‘fun’ in said maps.

Sounds a bit like whatever the OP was proposing (I’m unclear with the whole stat-change part and what it has to do with changing gear’s looks, but….).

Problem solved. =)

I proposed the same thing, the OP claimed this was dumb to spend 40g for 5 uses, also that I was biased because I thought this already worked.

Quit twistin’. You know why you are biased. Shame.

Sorin Noroku.5342:“Now this is also ONLY using the money from daily rewards! Passive playing will get you more. You want to change looks, just spend a bit of gold.”

Sorin Noroku.5342:“As for playing in areas/hearts/running around and saving currency, they are! They’re saving actual gold to convert to gems. So that system is there.”

Cynova.7406: “Don’t you think that 40g could be better spent on exotic items or towards an ascended item or legendary instead of simply changing the look to a skin”

The thing is, gold is a currency you earn by playing the game, literally doing pretty close to anything in it will get you gold. This means playing the game your way will get you currency you can then spend for TC to change the skins like you proposed.

However you want ANOTHER currency to get TC/skins. This is implying that spending gold to you is too inconvenient or that making gold is too difficult for you. Not biased, just think you’re complaining “things too hard for me”.

I think you are missing the OP’s point. You need to have a lot of gold to get transmutation charges. There’s only a few ways in the game to get a lot of gold relatively fast otherwise it can take a very long time. And a long time spent just to get TC’s is kind of a waste. To get gold fast you have to do the same activities over and over like a grind, which can be boring.

So he/she is saying why not have a way of getting TC’s or skins that is tied to a variety of content in PVE like going to different map zones. Most map zones currently give little gold in terms of the activities you can do there. So if they had their own currency, it would make them more unique and give players a reason to visit for skins and other things they could buy with that currency.

Since a lot of zones are not visited enough, allowing us to get skins in those specific zones doing heart tasks, events, maybe bounties or something… makes getting skin changes more fun and brings more players to different areas of the Tyria map. Like taking out two birds with one stone.

Obviously, if you don’t change your items so much, this won’t really concern you, which is probably what OP meant by some of the responses seeming biased. But all in all, if implemented right it could be a better system and make the game more fun.

(edited by Zeyta.3519)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think you are missing the OP’s point. You need to have a lot of gold to get transmutation charges.

Except, as has been pointed out, you don’t need a lot of gold to get transmutation charges. The drop automatically from doing various other activities, without the need to spend any gold. That’s why so many people in this thread are having trouble understanding the OP’s point — it’s based on a misunderstanding of how transmutation charges can be obtained, how they are applied, and why they are fundamental to the current game.

The OP has interpreted critical comments as a defense of the current system, which they are not — they are an explanation. Other posters, including myself, aren’t saying that the system is perfect or even that it couldn’t be improved. We are saying that the OP needs to better identify the issue that they want to see addressed.

As an example, I think everyone would agree that it’s a complete pain to restore a design you used previously, whether armor or weapons or dyes or a combination. It would be great to have an option to store templates that could be applied to make this easier. I, for one, would be willing to spend gems for such a feature.

All the same, I don’t think the current system is broken or even flawed. It’s good for what it was designed to do.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I think it would be better for gemstore skins to have no TC cost to apply or reapply as is the case with HoM skins.

As to getting skins through activity in specific regions in game, I dont recall having orrian weapons drop outside of orr, nor bandit weapons outside of areas frequented by bandits (etc).

Posted by: Sorin Noroku.5342

Sorin Noroku.5342

As much as this issue is a non-issue for me, I do concede OP’s point that buying TC’s on the gem store is horrible value, whether you use RL money or gold to get your gems.

Only Anet can know, but I can’t imagine TC’s being a large money earner for them, since regular players accumulate them so easily. If they made the TC’s cheaper (say double the number of TC’s per unit of gems), maybe it’ll improve the value for less regular players and actually drive up sales.

For the rest of us, it doesn’t change anything… something we consider worth $0 will always be worth $0 no matter how much it gets discounted/devalued by.

THIS! I can get behind this heavily! Double the amount or cut price in half perm.

Also what Ashen said where gemstore skins being free to apply. That I agree with also!

Zeyta.3519

I think you are missing the OP’s point. You need to have a lot of gold to get transmutation charges.

Except, as has been pointed out, you don’t need a lot of gold to get transmutation charges. The drop automatically from doing various other activities, without the need to spend any gold.

What other fun ways are their to get TC’s for someone that only plays PVE? “Fun” being the key word.

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Except, as has been pointed out, you don’t need a lot of gold to get transmutation charges. The drop automatically from doing various other activities, without the need to spend any gold.

What other fun ways are their to get TC’s for someone that only plays PVE? “Fun” being the key word.

Map Exploration I hear tons of people have fun and love the adventurer/scenery. Almost anything in PvE generates gold so you don’t even have to farm it if your main goal is to buy TC while you just play the game and have Fun. And so on

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Sounds like you are saying that it is fine to purchase clothing and then have to pay a fee to actually wear that clothing. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Not quite exact. You buy clothing, you have the clothing. What a transmutation charge is is more correct to ANOTHER item of the SAME look. Like buying 2 of one shirt.

But you already own the “looks”. Like owning a mattress and owning several sets of sheets. Why should I pay to change the sheets?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

You only need to pay to use a skin more than once. Skins you buy from the gem store come as a consumable item that allows you to apply that skin once for free as well as permanently unlocking it in your wardrobe at the same time.

Which is a lot better than the old system before the wardrobe, let me tell you.

I’ve been playing since start so I know what the old system was like. But that doesn’t mean I agree with double payment to use my items.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Sorin Noroku.5342

Sorin Noroku.5342

Not quite exact. You buy clothing, you have the clothing. What a transmutation charge is is more correct to ANOTHER item of the SAME look. Like buying 2 of one shirt.

But you already own the “looks”. Like owning a mattress and owning several sets of sheets. Why should I pay to change the sheets?

Because you’re confusing the two. Think more as your character is the mattress in this scenario. If your character is the mattress, your armor is the sheet. You have only 1 sheet (set of armor) and it is striped. You want a different style one, something with clouds. You have an option of buying another sheet (a second set of armor) that already looks it, or change your current sheet (main armor set) by drawing on it (TC).

What you used as the mattress is the armor, and the skin as the sheet. Now yes, this form would be very nice. But then you’re suggesting free skin changes at will, which I believe was the outfits being put in. I just carry two sheets when I want to change my mattress. Bag space is more limited, but that’s my choice for more looks.

Now, I wouldn’t mind being able to earn more TC for current price, or less price for current amount. However, since most players are normally overflowing with TC, I don’t see that happening soon.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think nearly every player would prefer if gem store skins worked like achievement skins: once unlocked, you can use them for free. That’s something that ANet could tweak without altering the overall wardrobe system. (I don’t know if that would easy for ANet or not; I suspect it’s more involved than changing a few flags on an item’s database entry).

However, that’s not an example of a fundamental flaw on the level described by the OP; it doesn’t require a complete overhaul of the system.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

For me, at least, the cosmetic-change system in GW2 — while better than it was pre “wardrobe” — is a failure. I have a good number of charges, mostly because I don’t use them. The systems flaws, in my mind, are:

1. It’s clunky to change one’s look. Any time I want to change, I need to open the wardrobe and manually change each piece. In other games that do it better, I can get wardrobe slots (bought in the store beyond the free initial number) and manually change the look in that slot once, then switch to that slot’s appearance if I want to “change apparel/gear.”
  2. As a result of #1, the system is designed to discourage people from switching looks rather than encouraging them to do so. The enjoyment of finding a new look is one thing, but switching regularly gets tedious. Also, using a charge to change coats, then another to change back later feels wasteful. This can also lead to apathy with regard to pursuing new looks. If we could have multiple wardrobe slots, and switch between them at will, there would be more incentive to acquire multiple unique pieces to put in those multiple slots.

So, if I were ANet, I’d provide wardrobe slots. I’d sell the slots in the store. I’d keep charges, and players would need to use a charge to change a gear piece’s look in a given slot, but could switch slots with no charge and with one click. Then, I’d look at the effect on revenue. If it went up, great. If it went down, I’d reduce the number of charges available for free by a bit to promote purchase.

And yes, I know I don’t know the programming issues involved, so let’s not open that envelope. If it’s not feasible because of the engine, or prohibitive due to time needed to implement, ANet will disregard the suggestion.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

There are 4 guaranteed ways to get Transmutation charges for ‘free’ (it will still cost time, obviously)
-WvW reward tracks.
-PvP League/Reward tracks.
-Map Completion.
-Login reward of 3/month.

The games I played always had a cost to Transmuting/Transmogrifying armor. Whether it’s a flat currency cost or a calculated currency cost. It serves as a sink, as does the gold>gem exchange here.

Now, I just do what I do (PvX), my characters are kitted out how I like them, only swapping out a few pieces when I feel like it, so I’m sat on 120ish Transmutation charges. I think someone in my guild has 900 or so.
They are insanely easy to get for ‘free’. So why are you here when you can get them for free? They’re a gemstore item because it does earn income from people who want them instantly.
To be honest, they could probably remove them from the store and most people wouldn’t bat an eyelid because they do what I do and gain them elsewhere without realising it.

Kitten.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

The games I played let you change skins for free. This is the first game I’ve played that charges you to change clothes. Wait, I take that back- I played one game for a while that made you pay in-game currency to change clothes. I thought it was awful- clunky, inconvenient, inflexible, certainly compared to the unlimited free access I’d had in other games. And, as mentioned by another poster, one of the games I played offered wardrobe slots where you could change your look in an instant, for free.

The way my characters look is a big deal to me. I don’t PvP or WvW (I’m disabled and limited as to what I can do in games), so charges are few and far between for me and I pretty much hoard the ones I do get. It’s hard to be really sure I’m going to like a look I’ve come up with since the preview window is limited (IMO), and I have to think really hard about it before I spend that precious currency. It all just feels… stingy. I would to see some changes to GW2’s wardrobe system. Making skins you buy from the store have unlimited free use would be a start.

(edited by Nikal.4921)

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

As to getting skins through activity in specific regions in game, I dont recall having orrian weapons drop outside of orr, nor bandit weapons outside of areas frequented by bandits (etc).

Also heart vendors and other karma vendors (karma being the intended “reward for doing events” currency) have hundreds of unique skins on offer, including multiple entire armor and weapon sets. There’s also plenty of regional skins, for that matter.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

[…] the system is designed to discourage people from switching looks rather than encouraging them to do so. The enjoyment of finding a new look is one thing, but switching regularly gets tedious.

Absolutely. I have to keep notes outside the game to remember my dye preferences for a look I might want to go back to sometime later. That’s far too cumbersome.

Djinn.9245

There are 4 guaranteed ways to get Transmutation charges for ‘free’ (it will still cost time, obviously)

Time = currency. In that time you can get gold or get other items to sell for gold and change gold for gems to purchase off gem store. Same goes for anything people claim you can get for “free” by actually playing the game (i.e. not counting the login rewards). So no, these things are not free.

Djinn.9245

Because you’re confusing the two. Think more as your character is the mattress in this scenario. If your character is the mattress, your armor is the sheet. You have only 1 sheet (set of armor) and it is striped. You want a different style one, something with clouds. You have an option of buying another sheet (a second set of armor) that already looks it, or change your current sheet (main armor set) by drawing on it (TC).

What you used as the mattress is the armor, and the skin as the sheet. Now yes, this form would be very nice. But then you’re suggesting free skin changes at will, which I believe was the outfits being put in. I just carry two sheets when I want to change my mattress. Bag space is more limited, but that’s my choice for more looks.

Now, I wouldn’t mind being able to earn more TC for current price, or less price for current amount. However, since most players are normally overflowing with TC, I don’t see that happening soon.

I don’t care whether you are talking about changing the look on the character or changing the look of an item. In either case I have already purchased or gained through play all of the skins I am using. If I have already gained the skins, I should be able to use them at will. I don’t understand why I am being taxed to use the skins I have already earned.

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

I don’t care whether you are talking about changing the look on the character or changing the look of an item. In either case I have already purchased or gained through play all of the skins I am using. If I have already gained the skins, I should be able to use them at will. I don’t understand why I am being taxed to use the skins I have already earned.

You buy an one time use of the skin, BUT can reuse it when you got extra transmutations, look at it that way – and how hoften do you change skills that you don’t have enough? Every day??

Zeyta.3519

You buy an one time use of the skin, BUT can reuse it when you got extra transmutations, look at it that way

I am looking at it that way, and that is the problem. I bought my skin. I should have my skin wherever and whenever. I’m pretty sure TC’s were created and still around for the purpose of making extra money and filling in extra rewards. TC’s should not be a reward, they should be a given. That space on a PVP track should be given to champ loot bags or something else. It’s the players that have to spend the extra time if they don’t want to give real money over and it’s the players that are ultimately paying for the redundant reward.

If you enjoy this, and support it, more power to you. But those of us that don’t like to waste time for redundant things will continue to ask for improvement.

(edited by Zeyta.3519)

Zeyta.3519

You buy an one time use of the skin, BUT can reuse it when you got extra transmutations, look at it that way – and how hoften do you change skills that you don’t have enough? Every day??

Why should it matter how often someone chooses to change skins? The feature should be universal for everyone regardless. All I’ve heard from players who have opposed the idea of changing the TC system, is that it can be dealt with, but I haven’t heard any good reasons for how it benefits players or how a better system would be worse?

What exactly are you losing by TC’s being taken out? Is getting TC’s your endgame? Or do you prefer doing extra work? I’m sorry, but I see less sense in those opposing than I do in those who actually want to make it better.

Djinn is right, there is no need for the “tax” of a TC when the work has already been done. I rather spend my time getting more skins than getting the ability to change my skins. And if you disagree, that’s your choice, but there is no wrong in improving the game for players that feel it needs improvement. There is something wrong with players trying to prevent the game from improving just because it’s not a benefit to them.

(edited by Zeyta.3519)

Djinn.9245

So you honestly believe that purchasing an outfit for 800 gems should be “one use” and then using it again is only 24-30 gems? That doesn’t make any sense. If each is one use, then each use should be the same cost. And why would I have it in my Wardrobe if I can’t actually use it? IRL if I have a shirt in my closet I can wear it as many times as I like.

If Anet meant for a skin to be paid for each time you use it, they should charge less initially. They charge more because they don’t know how often you will use the skin… (how often they can get more $ from you).

BlaqueFyre.5678

So you honestly believe that purchasing an outfit for 800 gems should be “one use” and then using it again is only 24-30 gems? That doesn’t make any sense. If each is one use, then each use should be the same cost. And why would I have it in my Wardrobe if I can’t actually use it? IRL if I have a shirt in my closet I can wear it as many times as I like.

If Anet meant for a skin to be paid for each time you use it, they should charge less initially. They charge more because they don’t know how often you will use the skin… (how often they can get more $ from you).

But see you don’t have to spend on Gems since you literally get TC for free just by logging in. You don’t even have todo anything. There are ways to get them faster yes, but you get them handed to you.

Nikal.4921

But see you don’t have to spend on Gems since you literally get TC for free just by logging in. You don’t even have todo anything. There are ways to get them faster yes, but you get them handed to you.

Three charges a month don’t go very far between my eight characters.

BlaqueFyre.5678

Not my problem I just that that is only one way you get them for free and for no effort there are still 3 other very viable ways to get them for free….

Zeyta.3519

Not my problem I just that that is only one way you get them for free and for no effort there are still 3 other very viable ways to get them for free….

I don’t think “free” means what you think it means. Nothing in this game is given for free except those daily logins. And if 3 TCs a month is your argument, then you really don’t have one.

BlaqueFyre.5678

I don’t think “free” means what you think it means. Nothing in this game is given for free except those daily logins. And if 3 TCs a month is your argument, then you really don’t have one.

If I am doing something that I enjoy and happen to get the TC without meaning to get them then that is free as in I don’t spend gold or time actively trying to accrue them I just play the game normally funny how that works…. and I was just saying they give them out completely free by just logging in daily..

Zeyta.3519

If I am doing something that I enjoy and happen to get the TC without meaning to get them then that is free as in I don’t spend gold or time actively trying to accrue them I just play the game normally funny how that works…. and I was just saying they give them out completely free by just logging in daily..

You aren’t meaning to get them, which is not the same to those that are. I think that’s what the OP meant by “biased”. Which is why it makes no sense for those with the same opinion or bias to be telling those who do want them that they are free or that the system shouldn’t change. Funny how you don’t get that…

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You buy an one time use of the skin, BUT can reuse it when you got extra transmutations, look at it that way

I am looking at it that way, and that is the problem. I bought my skin. I should have my skin wherever and whenever. I’m pretty sure TC’s were created and still around for the purpose of making extra money and filling in extra rewards. TC’s should not be a reward, they should be a given. That space on a PVP track should be given to champ loot bags or something else. It’s the players that have to spend the extra time if they don’t want to give real money over and it’s the players that are ultimately paying for the redundant reward.

If you enjoy this, and support it, more power to you. But those of us that don’t like to waste time for redundant things will continue to ask for improvement.

Do you also go to the store saying I bought this shirt here 1 month ago and now its broken I want a new shirt since I bought it once already.

If you want to keep the look then have several armors that you switch out like clothes or pay the kitten transaction fee to reskin the same armor.

Edit
Looks like I quoted the wrong person, anyway since people seem to buy the tc what do you say anet can sell to recup the lost revenue and the dev cost to revamp the system?

(edited by Linken.6345)

Zeyta.3519

Do you also go to the store saying I bought this shirt here 1 month ago and now its broken I want a new shirt since I bought it once already.

If you want to keep the look then have several armors that you switch out like clothes or pay the kitten transaction fee to reskin the same armor.

Edit
Looks like I quoted the wrong person, anyway since people seem to buy the tc what do you say anet can sell to recup the lost revenue and the dev cost to revamp the system?

That analogy does not even come close to representing this situation. We’re talking about getting rid of TC’s so when you get a skin that you earned, you can use it whenever you want instead of having to do unnecessary work just to use it again.

What sense does buying and having multiple armors or paying extra fees make for anyone? The whole point is to eliminate redundancy, not make it worse. And what disadvantage does improving this system have on you?

What lost revenue? TC’s are suddenly their main source of income? And what revamp? It’s called taking out TC’s and making skin changes unlimited. Not much will change from that.

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

I always thought GW2’s cash shop was pretty horrible. It has always been barren.

Less items in there than F2P MMO’s I’ve played, and a lot of the skins are not even permanent. It makes me outright not want to buy anything that isn’t always in there. It seems like an insult to the players intelligence. They think that people will buy something once they take it out for x amount of time, but really it just makes you jaded about it and not want to buy eventually.

I could see alternating items on a month by month basis to make room for other items, but only because GW2 doesn’t even had a filter system for their skins. The reason being there is no need, when you can scroll through every skin in about 2 seconds.

Another reason I see the skins in cash shop pretty bad in GW2 is most of them are full costume. You can’t even wear just one or two pieces of it, you have to don the entire set. Wtf? Yeah cool.. because I wanna look like every one else with the same full set.

I wonder how many skins they have taken out, and left some of the most terrible looking ones in lol.

Linken.6345

I always thought GW2’s cash shop was pretty horrible. It has always been barren.

Less items in there than F2P MMO’s I’ve played, and a lot of the skins are not even permanent. It makes me outright not want to buy anything that isn’t always in there. It seems like an insult to the players intelligence. They think that people will buy something once they take it out for x amount of time, but really it just makes you jaded about it and not want to buy eventually.

I could see alternating items on a month by month basis to make room for other items, but only because GW2 doesn’t even had a filter system for their skins. The reason being there is no need, when you can scroll through every skin in about 2 seconds.

Another reason I see the skins in cash shop pretty bad in GW2 is most of them are full costume. You can’t even wear just one or two pieces of it, you have to don the entire set. Wtf? Yeah cool.. because I wanna look like every one else with the same full set.

I wonder how many skins they have taken out, and left some of the most terrible looking ones in lol.

You dont need to wonder you can see all the skins in the wardrobe panel.

They started doing outfits full body skins as you call em, when people complain that the only new armor skins into the game was through gem shop.
They decided new skins only through in game means from there on out, hence why we only get it with expansions now and when they bring back the sets they made before.

I havent checked but I guess you can get those through the random rare or below skin unlocks too maybe?

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Why should it matter how someone chooses to change skins? The feature should be universal for everyone regardless. All I’ve heard from players who have opposed the idea of changing the TC system, is that it can be dealt with, but I haven’t heard any good reasons for how it benefits players or how a better system would be worse?

What exactly are you losing by TC’s being taken out? Is getting TC’s your endgame? Or do you prefer doing extra work? I’m sorry, but I see less sense in those opposing than I do in those who actually want to make it better.

Djinn is right, there is no need for the “tax” of a TC when the work has already been done. I rather spend my time getting more skins than getting the ability to change my skins. And if you disagree, that’s your choice, but there is no wrong in improving the game for players that feel it needs improvement. There is something wrong with players trying to prevent the game from improving just because it’s not a benefit to them.

I kind of agree that having Transmutation charges are, dated practices. I also agree that the way we change our characters clothing could be simplified. (outfit slots for our own predetermined armor/dye combinations)

I’d welcome being able to change stuff on whim for free. (some of us get this anyway, just playing the game) The last game I played with a Transmute system was WoW, where you had to visit a vendor to change items appearance, you also had to keep the original item in your inventory/void storage for it to still work (unsure if this has changed, I stopped playing it before Pandaland) I suppose the fact you can only do that in the one place for a gold cost is the tradeoff.

I like the fact I can unlock any skin on any character, regardless of if that character can equip it or not. I also like the fact that I can destroy said item, and it still be there in the Magical wardrobe, to be used anytime I choose. Transmutation Charges are the trade off for that convenience. There is a way to get a lot of them for very little time investment without paying IRL money for them. I suppose it might be considerate to suggest adding charges as map rewards to bring PvE acquisition in-line.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Nikal.4921

I kind of agree that having Transmutation charges are, dated practices. I also agree that the way we change our characters clothing could be simplified. (outfit slots for our own predetermined armor/dye combinations)

I’d welcome being able to change stuff on whim for free. (some of us get this anyway, just playing the game) The last game I played with a Transmute system was WoW, where you had to visit a vendor to change items appearance, you also had to keep the original item in your inventory/void storage for it to still work (unsure if this has changed, I stopped playing it before Pandaland) I suppose the fact you can only do that in the one place for a gold cost is the tradeoff.

I like the fact I can unlock any skin on any character, regardless of if that character can equip it or not. I also like the fact that I can destroy said item, and it still be there in the Magical wardrobe, to be used anytime I choose. Transmutation Charges are the trade off for that convenience. There is a way to get a lot of them for very little time investment without paying IRL money for them. I suppose it might be considerate to suggest adding charges as map rewards to bring PvE acquisition in-line.

Amen, except for the very last bit. Many years ago, LOTRO changed their wardrobe system so that it stored the image permanently rather than forcing you to keep the piece of gear (w/ the look you were using) in your inventory. Every game I’ve played since (w/ the exception of FF14, haven’t played WoW) does similar. Clogging up storage vs being charged to change clothes, it’s a completely unnecessary trade-off, does not need to exist, and doesn’t in most other games as far as I have seen.

Anet need to get with the times!

Djinn.9245

Its your problem because it invalidates your argument that you don’t have to pay for them.

BlaqueFyre.5678

Its your problem because it invalidates your argument that you don’t have to pay for them.

Nope because cost is relative, I pay neither time nor gold/money for them so therefore they are completely free to me, and many more like me that get them just by playing the game, it has never been my goal to farm or do specific activities to acquire these charges, they are purely an oft forgotten byproduct of doing things I enjoy.

Zeyta.3519

I asked a question in my last post, why not answer it?

It shouldn’t matter how often each and every player decides to change their outfits. Changing your skins that you earned should be universally the same. Regardless, the use of Transmutation Charges is unneeded and very expensive whether you get them by trying or not.

I’m still curious of what players are losing if TCs are removed. There’s not enough legitimate reasons for them to be kept around.

Linken.6345

Just out of curiousity what other mmorpgs let you switch for free, I know wow dont since you have to get the item.
Then pay gold to store and you cant store unlimited items either + pay in game gold to switch the look.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

To chuck my opinion into the cacophony: I use transmutes regularly - my method tends to be using a spare character slot on something running around the cities. Sometimes I’ll level a character (doing area map completion) and cross fingers for a transmute (or a key. Usually if I want a key, I’ll get transmutes, and vice versa). This is rather time consuming, however. But I sometimes have fun, and sometimes it feels like a mini-grind I can’t be bothered with. I have no real solutions to this, however, it is what it is. If I really want them on the fly, and if I have the cash, I buy the transmutes with real money or gold. I’m sure I’d be open to more creative ways of acquiring transmutes, but I have the dumb today and cannot think of any. :/

What it comes down to for me is this: I don’t mind the crafted skins and whatnot requiring transmutes, or that I jump through a few (occasionally boring) hoops to get them. What gets my goat is stuff bought from the gem shop with real cash requiring them as well. That’s something that doesn’t sit particularly well - you spend 700 on the glider combo, and all bar one of your chars that want the backpiece have to transmute it. You buy the ear muffs, or are addicted to the scarf (for example) - you’ve already paid for it (either through time invested in the game or with real cash), it sucks to have to do it over and over again. I propose any armour piece purchased in that manner should remain free to transmute - similar to an outfit bought from the gem shop being free to apply every time,ditto HoM stuff, Zenith weapons, etc. - these items represent investment in the game(s) in the same way (cash or time or both). The armour pieces should be no different.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

To chuck my opinion into the cacophony: I use transmutes regularly – my method tends to be using a spare character slot on something running around the cities. Sometimes I’ll level a character (doing area map completion) and cross fingers for a transmute (or a key. Usually if I want a key, I’ll get transmutes, and vice versa). This is rather time consuming, however. But I sometimes have fun, and sometimes it feels like a mini-grind I can’t be bothered with. I have no real solutions to this, however, it is what it is. If I really want them on the fly, and if I have the cash, I buy the transmutes with real money or gold. I’m sure I’d be open to more creative ways of acquiring transmutes, but I have the dumb today and cannot think of any. :/

What it comes down to for me is this: I don’t mind the crafted skins and whatnot requiring transmutes, or that I jump through a few (occasionally boring) hoops to get them. What gets my goat is stuff bought from the gem shop with real cash requiring them as well. That’s something that doesn’t sit particularly well – you spend 700 on the glider combo, and all bar one of your chars that want the backpiece have to transmute it. You buy the ear muffs, or are addicted to the scarf (for example) – you’ve already paid for it (either through time invested in the game or with real cash), it sucks to have to do it over and over again. I propose any armour piece purchased in that manner should remain free to transmute – similar to an outfit bought from the gem shop being free to apply every time,ditto HoM stuff, Zenith weapons, etc. – these items represent investment in the game(s) in the same way (cash or time or both). The armour pieces should be no different.

This is something i can get behind.

Make the gemstore skins switchable without charges.

Ceridwen.6703

Just out of curiousity what other mmorpgs let you switch for free, I know wow dont since you have to get the item.
Then pay gold to store and you cant store unlimited items either + pay in game gold to switch the look.

It’s not directly swapping the looks of items, but Age of Conan has a second appearance paper doll. You have your looks on that tab, and your stats are on the first doll. It costs nothing, it’s just a straight-up feature.

It’s probably the best option I’ve ever seen in a game yet, but I’m not sure just how applicable it is to GW2, as it would negate the need for transmutes altogether (arguably becoming a more streamlined approach, but potentially losing revenue from purchased transmutes).

Zeyta.3519

It’s not directly swapping the looks of items, but Age of Conan has a second appearance paper doll. You have your looks on that tab, and your stats are on the first doll. It costs nothing, it’s just a straight-up feature.

It’s probably the best option I’ve ever seen in a game yet, but I’m not sure just how applicable it is to GW2, as it would negate the need for transmutes altogether (arguably becoming a more streamlined approach, but potentially losing revenue from purchased transmutes).

Paper doll? Tell me more about this system. Can you change skins individually?

Zeyta.3519

To chuck my opinion into the cacophony: I use transmutes regularly – my method tends to be using a spare character slot on something running around the cities. Sometimes I’ll level a character (doing area map completion) and cross fingers for a transmute (or a key. Usually if I want a key, I’ll get transmutes, and vice versa). This is rather time consuming, however. But I sometimes have fun, and sometimes it feels like a mini-grind I can’t be bothered with. I have no real solutions to this, however, it is what it is. If I really want them on the fly, and if I have the cash, I buy the transmutes with real money or gold. I’m sure I’d be open to more creative ways of acquiring transmutes, but I have the dumb today and cannot think of any. :/

What it comes down to for me is this: I don’t mind the crafted skins and whatnot requiring transmutes, or that I jump through a few (occasionally boring) hoops to get them. What gets my goat is stuff bought from the gem shop with real cash requiring them as well. That’s something that doesn’t sit particularly well – you spend 700 on the glider combo, and all bar one of your chars that want the backpiece have to transmute it. You buy the ear muffs, or are addicted to the scarf (for example) – you’ve already paid for it (either through time invested in the game or with real cash), it sucks to have to do it over and over again. I propose any armour piece purchased in that manner should remain free to transmute – similar to an outfit bought from the gem shop being free to apply every time,ditto HoM stuff, Zenith weapons, etc. – these items represent investment in the game(s) in the same way (cash or time or both). The armour pieces should be no different.

I agree gem store skins should be freely applicable. But I don’t understand why anyone would want to keep the need for transmutation charges at all. Why not do it like Diablo III’s skin changing system and just ask for a small amount of gold for each change. It would be a good gold sink and it would eliminate a lot of redundancy and time wasted. STILL haven’t heard any good reason why TC’s are a benefit or even necessary. Just that people will deal with the outdated system.

Ceridwen.6703

Paper doll? Tell me more about this system. Can you change skins individually?

You don’t need to change skins at all. One tab has your stats gear equipped, and the other, the vanity tab, has your looks gear equipped (its stats are overridden). The looks you can alter individually (IIRC) are head, shoulders/upper arm, cloak, forearms, hands, chest, waist, legs, feet and necklace/amulet - 10 potential look differences, including no armour equipped at all if you choose. You also choose whether to equip each vanity slot or not - if not, the look defaults to the relevant stats gear tab item.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Sounds like a convenient system, but doesn’t it use up a lot of inventory space if you want to save more than a few different “looks”?

Djinn.9245

I agree gem store skins should be freely applicable. But I don’t understand why anyone would want to keep the need for transmutation charges at all. Why not do it like Diablo III’s skin changing system and just ask for a small amount of gold for each change. It would be a good gold sink and it would eliminate a lot of redundancy and time wasted. STILL haven’t heard any good reason why TC’s are a benefit or even necessary. Just that people will deal with the outdated system.

There is really no difference between using TC or using gold. In both cases you are being charged to use a skin you already own.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

There’s a difference. A ‘small amount of gold’ is subject to interpretation, but we can infer that it would be significantly less than the current gold→ gem exchange rate.

Also, a flat gold sink of 1 or 2g per charge would be static, while the exchange rate fluctuates periodically (and generally rises over time).

Nikal.4921

As I posted already, LOTRO does- unlimited free changes and you don’t have to store gear since the game automatically stores images of gear you get. And as I recall (it’s been many years), no class restrictions.

RIFT, unlimited free changes, and they offer a certain number of free wardrobe slots you can store gear in for your look and they sell extra wardrobe slots. Also, their outfits you can buy on the store come in individual pieces, so you can mix and match with them. They revamped their wardrobe system after I left, so I assume there are more options now.

TROVE, unlimited free changes, but they only have outfits that must be used in their entirety (though as I recall, you could turn off at least the helm).

FFXIV you crafted (high level crafting) or bought from the Market Board (Auction House) special crystals to transmute your gear, and they weren’t exactly cheap. Horrible system. I didn’t last long there, but for more reasons than that.

So there are a few that I know of, since those are the only MMO’s I’ve played. Aside from FFXIV, I think GW2 outclasses these games and have hopes (wishes) that they’ll come up with a class wardrobe system.