Where is promised challenging HOT content?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

The challenge of Triple Trouble isn’t just about herding cats although that is part of it. (a lot like most raids) It’s about dealing with the Husks, (condi team) It’s about dealing with the smaller wurms (dps team), it’s about blocking eggs and knowing what to look for and when to block those wurm attacks (huge part, that makes the fight easier), it’s about dealing with eggs should any of them get out into the field. Mesmers who drop portals at the right places during colbalt. (again makes it easier)

A good deal of players who do wurm are probably not even aware that there are players within the event doing these things to make a successful run. Without those players filling those roles, the rest of the “cats” are going to have a very difficult time, if not almost impossible.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Kind of early to complain about lack of challenging HoT content when the expansion isn’t live yet, no???

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Kind of early to complain about lack of challenging HoT content when the expansion isn’t live yet, no???

Kind of too late to complain about it once the expansion launches and it isn’t there, no???

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Kind of too late to complain about it once the expansion launches and it isn’t there, no???

No. lol

If it’s not there now, it’s not likely to be there at launch. But since we haven’t seen what it is yet, it’s too early to start complaining.

Think of it this way. I tell you I’m going to cook you a seven course meal. I tell you about soup and appetizer. What do you think I’ll see if you tell me the dessert is too sweet, before I even tell you what it is?

Posted by: juniterio.1245

juniterio.1245

Anet still hasn’t said a word about the challenging hot content.

Posted by: Uriel.6310

Uriel.6310

I pretty much dont even care about HoT anymore as the few things I have been hearing/seeing it does not seem like very much will change aside from what we have now. Im assumming there will be “few” new mechanics on bosses to give the perception that they have improved. Im sure most bosses will still be stagnat and inplace doing the same thing. ( ex; "Ok guys… in 10s he Wyvern will do “this”, be ready to stack and do “this”) And I see that specializations do not encourage players to play with different stats in builds or try different things but instead just changes how a particular class plays. In the end, everyone will still be encouraged to running zerker for best dps.

GW2 was never made to be more innovative than other MMOs, it was made to be different than GW1.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

They haven’t said a word about the remaining 6 elite spec’s, guild halls or adventures either.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

No. lol

If it’s not there now, it’s not likely to be there at launch. But since we haven’t seen what it is yet, it’s too early to start complaining.

Think of it this way. I tell you I’m going to cook you a seven course meal. I tell you about soup and appetizer. What do you think I’ll see if you tell me the dessert is too sweet, before I even tell you what it is?

If I tell you I don’t want crème brûlée for dessert and that what I’d really like to have is banana pudding, what do you think I’ll see if you serve crème brûlée?

The table is a fable.

Vayne.8563

No. lol

If I tell you I don’t want crème brûlée for dessert and that what I’d really like to have is banana pudding, what do you think I’ll see if you serve crème brûlée?

If you said it after it was already all but made, it’s what you’d be getting. It’s hardly like Anet is going to scrap the entire beta at this point because this guy wants harder content, particularly when they haven’t discussed the harder content.

And saying you want harder content isn’t at all specific. Saying you want an instanced raid is more specific, but that’s very unlikely to happen, and not at all likely if it’s not already being worked on.

Tachenon.5270

Personally, I like banana pudding made with butterscotch pudding, vanilla wafers, bananas, and meringue topping. As for challenging content, anything resembling the Silverwastes merry-go-round-and-round-and-round or the Dry Top ‘Oh, you were my buddy for three minutes but now you’re out of favor cuz what have you done for me lately ’ schtick, gets a big old raspberry from me.

PS edit: mushrooms are great on pizza and in salads and even in spaghetti, but I don’t like jumping on them.

The table is a fable.

(edited by Tachenon.5270)

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

So if you want challenging content, GW2 is not your game.

https://youtu.be/IOUk2y0K2m8?t=2m48s

Nice try.

They haven’t said a word about the remaining 6 elite spec’s, guild halls or adventures either.

But we already saw the base mechanics of how elite specs work and had 3 examples.

We already saw one adventure in a stream and in the beta (haven’t played it, maybe there is even a second one already).

Guildhalls is still quite in the dark but the name alone describes it quite good and the trailer showed even the main idea. Basically: Have a own place for your guild that you can upgrade with buildings and (unconfirmed) with services.

What do we know about “challenging group content”? NOTHING. We don’t even now if it’s instanced or not.

Neox.3497

PS edit: mushrooms are great on pizza and in salads and even in spaghetti, but I don’t like jumping on them.

Get ready to kill many walking mushrooms. There are at least ~7 models in the files already.

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

All I want is a small raid party (8-15) and “Elite Missions” that we had in GW1.

Anet, please.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Tachenon.5270

Get ready to kill many walking mushrooms. There are at least ~7 models in the files already.

Oh, killing them is fine. It’s using them as (new word) shroompalines that I find annoying.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

What are the odds this beta revealed everything the expansion will bring? I didn’t play it, but by all reports I’ve seen this beta did not show that much.

The odds are slim. We have access to only one part of a zone so far. That is it. Although there will not be a huge number of zones, there will be several new zones.

So no, I don’t believe we have seen everything the expansion has to bring. In fact, I find that to be silly.

I believe there will be a lot of content we will never see until the expansion drops.

Posted by: TheDraco.3965

TheDraco.3965

What are the odds this beta revealed everything the expansion will bring? I didn’t play it, but by all reports I’ve seen this beta did not show that much.

The odds are slim. We have access to only one part of a zone so far. That is it. Although there will not be a huge number of zones, there will be several new zones.

So no, I don’t believe we have seen everything the expansion has to bring. In fact, I find that to be silly.

I believe there will be a lot of content we will never see until the expansion drops.

Or maybe. Just maybe. Arenanet will continue to to exactly what they’ve been doing since GW2 launched. Minimum work/Maximum profit fodder for the “casual audience”.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Or maybe. Just maybe. Arenanet will continue to to exactly what they’ve been doing since GW2 launched. Minimum work/Maximum profit fodder for the “casual audience”.

Well, I don’t feel the same as you about the content they have released so far. I don’t think a lot of it was great, but I don’t feel it is as bad as you put it.

My point is, we have no idea how much or exactly what will be dropped and people are already kittening. I don’t care what they have done in the past, I’ll wait like a mature person and see what is there when it drops and then I will make my judgments.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

Myself I hope Anet gets mad and puts 10 TT type events in HoT, each having 10 Liadris riding zombie dragons and one shotting anyone who doesn’t dodge and the only way to to finish the events will be to have 100 players coordinate at once, if just 1 player dies then the boss kills everyone and can’t be killed for another week. And the more times the event fails the more powerful the bosses become, ending up requiring 1000 players to be killed.
Maybe then topics like this will stop. Go do dungeons without abusing the mechanics and stacking in a corner if you want challenging content until then.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I think people get confused with the words challenging content and coordinated content. There is a lot of challenging content already in GW2, and there are many ways you can make easy content harder. But what I think people really want, but don’t know it or are not very good at explaining it, is content that requires group coordination to succeed.

Events like the Marionette and the Vine Wrath are a step in that direction, and I am sure Anet will add more content like that in HoT. It is far too early to say they are not adding this kind of coordinated content.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Maybe then topics like this will stop. Go do dungeons without abusing the mechanics and stacking in a corner if you want challenging content until then.

You don’t do many dungeons, do you? Anyway, here’s an example from A YEAR AGO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQC5-Vjvb4

That’s Arah Path 3 with 5 Bearbows. You’re welcome.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Simply put: we haven’t announced it yet – when we’re ready to show everything about our plans for challenging content for HoT, we’ll announce it.

Though it isn’t the “challenging content” feature discussed in our announcement – I will add we want our open world content experience to be more challenging as well just in general. Though the AI was better in our CBT experience – we think we still have a lot of work to do to get our creatures and encounters even at the start of Verdant Brink up to where we want them to be. Our game has great combat, our creatures and encounters should challenge and require you to use that combat system.

More info “when it’s ready”.

Vayne.8563

Thanks for that Colin. I said earlier that you haven’t talked about it yet, but apparently some people didn’t believe me. Good to see a red post here.

timmyf.1490

Though it isn’t the “challenging content” feature discussed in our announcement – I will add we want our open world content experience to be more challenging as well just in general.

That sentence (the first one, especially the word “isn’t”) gives me hype. Or at least hope. Thanks, Colin. Hope things are going well.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Simply put: we haven’t announced it yet – when we’re ready to show everything about our plans for challenging content for HoT, we’ll announce it.

Though it isn’t the “challenging content” feature discussed in our announcement – I will add we want our open world content experience to be more challenging as well just in general.

That’s slightly confusing.
So from what I understand: There is challenging content coming. But it’s different challenging content than the challenging content that was announced. So there’s more than one type of challenging content coming? But besides these types of challenging content you’re also looking at harder open world content?
So there’s at least 3 types of challenging content coming, and 1 of them is open world content (possibly)?

timmyf.1490

So from what I understand: There is challenging content coming. But it’s different challenging content than the challenging content that was announced. So there’s more than one type of challenging content coming? But besides these types of challenging content you’re also looking at harder open world content?
So there’s at least 3 types of challenging content coming, and 1 of them is open world content?w

Read it backward.

“we want our open world content experience to be more challenging” … "Though it isn’t the “challenging content” feature discussed in our announcement"

There’s challenging content coming which is not a part of the open world content experience. That’s my optimistic read of it, anyhow.

Vayne.8563

So there’s at least 3 types of challenging content coming, and 1 of them is open world content (possibly)?

They announced everything at one time, but they went into detail on none of it. They’re been slowly releasing the detail. They have yet to release the detail on the special challenging content they were talking about.

People are saying the wyverns are the challenging content or the new AI is the challenging content they were talking about. It’s not.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

They announced everything at one time, but they went into detail on none of it. They’re been slowly releasing the detail. They have yet to release the detail on the special challenging content they were talking about.

People are saying the wyverns are the challenging content or the new AI is the challenging content they were talking about. It’s not.

Read it backward.

“we want our open world content experience to be more challenging” … "Though it isn’t the “challenging content” feature discussed in our announcement"

There’s challenging content coming which is not a part of the open world content experience. That’s my optimistic read of it, anyhow.

Oh ok. It’s the ‘though’ that threw me off. I thought it was acting as a conjunction there.

(edited by CureForLiving.5360)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Though it isn’t the “challenging content” feature discussed in our announcement – I will add we want our open world content experience to be more challenging as well just in general. Though the AI was better in our CBT experience – we think we still have a lot of work to do to get our creatures and encounters even at the start of Verdant Brink up to where we want them to be. Our game has great combat, our creatures and encounters should challenge and require you to use that combat system.

Excellent to hear. So to reiterate, you want open world foes to be more of a challenge (than what the current foes offer) and that the ‘challenging group content’ is not (the general run of the mill) open world content.

I eagerly await the “when it’s ready” announcement.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I hope that doesn’t mean that the “challenging content” will be put into those LW S2 Story instances which I hated to grind for achievements and had absolutely no reason to ever replay with my friends, unlike fractals and dungeons which I’m still doing daily (when I have time) despite them being stale.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: JanoRis.8703

JanoRis.8703

Pretty amusing that this has become such a reoccuring sentence that Colin himself already uses it with quotation marks

Posted by: Spartacus.9743

Spartacus.9743

Starting from the fact that the improvements in the open world(collections system, Dry top and Silverwastes) are surely an interesting and well concepted ideas, i have just a simple question, and it’s about closed istances…
Should we stop dreaming about new istances (out of the living story), or we can hope about new istances in HoT?
I’m not expecting a detailed answer, just a “yes, you can dream!” or “nope, wait for the next xpac” :P

Neox.3497

Myself I hope Anet gets mad and puts 10 TT type events in HoT, each having 10 Liadris riding zombie dragons and one shotting anyone who doesn’t dodge and the only way to to finish the events will be to have 100 players coordinate at once, if just 1 player dies then the boss kills everyone and can’t be killed for another week. And the more times the event fails the more powerful the bosses become, ending up requiring 1000 players to be killed.

Sure if the reward is a guaranteed precursor. But I’m guessing it would be 2 rares and 1 green so nobody would try it since in the same time you could have done 10 world bosses that give you 10 times the loot by just pressing 1.

This is clearly something completly new. If it would be new dungeons with new mechanics and better AI they would have already told us.

I’m still hoping for instanced versions of maps and bosses with a difficulty scale where you can decide who joins.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

If your idea of “challenging” is frenetic keyboard banging like Silverwastes, I’m not buying.

Really.

I’m sure lots of people love mindlessly pressing the “1” key while dodging like a hyperactive bug, but I find that very boring. Silverwastes was interesting for a couple weeks, and now it’s just farming. Nothing we do there progresses the story or our character.

So, my (and several others I know) willingness to pay more money is very much based on new content being challenging, meaningfully progressive, and more thinking, less button mashing.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I hope that doesn’t mean that the “challenging content” will be put into those LW S2 Story instances which I hated to grind for achievements and had absolutely no reason to ever replay with my friends, unlike fractals and dungeons which I’m still doing daily (when I have time) despite them being stale.

It’s possible that it will be. I’ve always thought that those achievement instances could have replaced dungeons. It’s actually a great concept, and all they would need to do is add more bosses, which drop RNG exclusive gear, just like traditional mmos do. As it is now, they aren’t worth repeating, once you have all the achievements, and the other junk can just be acquired outside the instances.

Posted by: Tobias.8632

Tobias.8632

I really want an optional side-zone that’s sort of like how Orr was on release.

An absolute nightmare-filled house of pain that requires you to group up and work together to get anything in the zone done.

I think that’d be cool.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

It’s possible that it will be. I’ve always thought that those achievement instances could have replaced dungeons. It’s actually a great concept, and all they would need to do is add more bosses, which drop RNG exclusive gear, just like traditional mmos do. As it is now, they aren’t worth repeating, once you have all the achievements, and the other junk can just be acquired outside the instances.

There are more problems with this concept than just RNG drops:

Instead, I’ve done these things once (or a couple of times if you count achievement runs) & am never coming back there again. Why?

• User-unfriendly activation.
    • You need everyone to activate the same episode (and lose progress on current if it’s not finished).
    • You need everyone to have the episode done.
    • You do not have separate LFG sections for these instances.
  • Rewards.
    • There’s little point doing this content on your main; grinding open-world content for the rewards is both more fun and more rewarding.
    • Sometimes there’s a point doing it on your alt, but it is rarely enjoyable since it’s not your main and it often leads to frustration instead.
  • Too much focus on storytelling.
    • Unskippable dialogues and cutscenes anyone?

I understand that the new buyable Personal Story chapters is a source of money which caters to solo players in this MMORPG, and that dungeon grinding is something ANet economists dislike, and I do not want this thread to be another “need more dungeons” thread, but… honestly, it really feels like so much wasted potential.

So… how about at least duplicating some of the fights as fractals/sets of mini-dungeons?

TL;DR: rehashed content is better than no content.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Scaling.

Want to make me happy, and those I play with?

Make your challenging content scale from 1-5 people.

I often have 1-2 friends / family online, and I don’t want / need to drag in strangers. I want to play with people I know, trust, and are often in the same room.

For that matter, scale fractals and existing dungeons too.

Let me play how I want with who I want.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Oh Colin! That THAT is the frigging thing I want to see! Your combat system is awesome but it needs to match up the challenge! Do not fail us. >.<

Also, the learning curve when mastering challenges is what weaves unforgettable experiences when contents with such challenges are beaten. I’m talking about a full raid screaming the boss is down! Old MMOs achieved this partially with gear treadmills, but it’s completely possible to re-create such huge experience with GW2 combat system.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Scaling.

I often have 1-2 friends / family online, and I don’t want / need to drag in strangers. I want to play with people I know, trust, and are often in the same room.

+1!

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Keeping the hope alive. Thanks.

Valento.9852

Scaling.

+2!

I, too, expected a proper challenge scaling when I started playing. Sadly it turned out a minor thing that all it was about was raising mobs levels in events, or adding vets and champions. Of course I don’t expect a complex event scaling system, but in the long run it would increase the game’s quality.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Neox.3497

Scaling.

+2!

I, too, expected a proper challenge scaling when I started playing. Sadly it turned out a minor thing that all it was about was raising mobs levels in events, or adding vets and champions. Of course I don’t expect a complex event scaling system, but in the long run it would increase the game’s quality.

The problem is that one way will always be “easier” and they took the one that makes more sense: more people = easier. Otherwise you wouldn’t want to play with others.

Valento.9852

Scaling.

+2!

The problem is that one way will always be “easier” and they took the one that makes more sense: more people = easier. Otherwise you wouldn’t want to play with others.

Well, I’m sorry but honestly that is a direct way to officially dumb down the game.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

It feels like aNet is selling us DLC, which is sadly far from expansion!
I expected bosses to be more challenging with new mechanics, not just CC bar, but actual AI (Artificial Intelligence) behaviour, they don’t hit hard enough to even force you to dodge, you can “in your face” all the dmg, but that’s not even the point. Static non-movement creatures are making me not even want to go in HoT PvE.

What i’m expecting from GW2 AI creatures:

• zoning mechanics
  • area control mechanics
  • special combinations to defeat enemy
  • higher DPS from mobs to force people to dodge
  • more Dry Top Coloque Queen mechanics
  • non-static smart path finding and decision making
  • faster damage target changing and applying more pressure on player
  • NO MORE EASY CONTENT THAT I CAN ACCOMPLISH BY AFK-ING THE EVENT

Where is the content that they called challenging for “non-casual” players in HoT?
“Beautiful content is not enough for me, where are the AI-npc mechanics that were promised?, Artificial Intelligence of creatures is under expectation of 2015 era..”

With other words, I can hardly call this EXPANSION, when it looks more like DLC pack..

GW2 / challenging content.

The true issue here is that you want this game to be something it isn’t. It is aimed for casual players. Whenever they do create something challenging, it is tuned down so everyone can do it (Liadra for example).

There is also a very good reason. Experienced high level players rush through the content in a fast pace and never stick around long. They don’t go into role playing or dress-up games. The result is that they are not interesting as customers cause they just don’t spend much in the cashshop.

So if you want challenging content, GW2 is not your game.

Wrong. Read Colin’s post if you dont believe me.

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

Alright since there’s a bit of confusion. Can you clarify one thing with that statement.

Is the “challenging group content” that you’ve been hinting at not in the open world?

Retired Leader of TTS

Neox.3497

Scaling.

+2!

Well, I’m sorry but honestly that is a direct way to officially dumb down the game.

That’s also the whole problem of open world in GW2, but the other way arround it would be even worse.
Let’s say you wanna fight a champion, suddenly 4 other random players fight with you and scale the campion very high. Suddenly you can’t kill him. You are a very good player and you have good equipment but because the other 4 players have kitten equipment and ‘no skill’ you fail.

Instanced stuff could also be scaled but that would be very hard since playing alone is completly different than with let’s say 5.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Alright since there’s a bit of confusion. Can you clarify one thing with that statement.

Is the “challenging group content” that you’ve been hinting at not in the open world?

That’s exactly what the bolded sentence says. A lot of people seem to have issues understanding how he phrased. Rephrased, he is essentially saying that they want their general pve open world content to be more challenging, in and of itself, but that is not the ‘challenging group content’ that was referred to in their announcement.

Posted by: Achrisos.1360

Achrisos.1360

“when it’s ready”.

Colin tell ANet to trademark this line so you dont have to quote it next time

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Can we expect the AI changes to be placed on currently-existing open-world, or is that not feasible?

Thanks.

Posted by: SuinegTsol.1729

SuinegTsol.1729

I hate anet announcements. They tell you alot without saying anything. Would pay a monthly tax, if you get someone, who is able to tell us everything going on without leaving one word about it.
After 2 Years, this is just frustrating for players, due to hearing those phrases so often without something happening yet. Just remember PvP/dungeon-rework/new fractals/… Like you see after this post everyone gets hope and thinks about, what would be the greathest featuer you’re working on by now and starts to want to play it. Then, maybe two monts later you announce your great concept and half of the playerbase just thought about that as the 3rd best version for him…
Maybe sth like: “We’re secondary working on ai improovements to avaid aoe and fight in a manner you need dodge more, while preparing a kind of 5man dungen with special focus on teamwork and class synergy.” Just give us an impression on what your working on, thats all we want (and maybe your latest deadline for it)!