Who hates this game now because of HoT?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Noone is making themselves elite.
The fact that the OP has to learn new stuff makes him a newcomer, someone’s lack of ability does not make others elite. You should acknowledge your faults and improve upon them instead of whining in the forums and blaming the game.

Give me a break the way Zeonis.1962: responded was nothing but what I called. Your 1st sentence I agree with and part of your 2nd sentence then off you go too. Improving your faults LOL, may improve your skills. But there is plenty of things in HoT that could do with a major revamp as noted in many other threads.

Improving your faults in this context = improving whatever you’re lacking, in this case it can be player skill. Wasn’t that hard right?
A revamp? LOL there’s plenty of positive feedback specially on reddit so who should Anet listen to, the ones who complain and want a revamp or whatever metrics they use to meassure user satisfaction? Pre-HoT it was too easy and now it’s too hard? MMOs have way too many kind of players, some will be unsatisfied and are expected to move on to another that satisfies’em.
I hope they never revamp the current maps based on whiners, they can improve on’em in their next release but kitten don’t make another 1 1 1 1 spam map like core tyria.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Posted by: Zeonis.1962

Zeonis.1962

Meta events of 2 hours long, are killing the pve game.

As long as they are fun and challenging i’m okay with spending 2 hours. And yes i think VB,AB and TD are really fun meta events. It finally takes some sort of organization to do large content in Gw2 unlike before.

Zeonis.1962

Noone is making themselves elite.
The fact that the OP has to learn new stuff makes him a newcomer, someone’s lack of ability does not make others elite. You should acknowledge your faults and improve upon them instead of whining in the forums and blaming the game.

Give me a break the way Zeonis.1962: responded was nothing but what I called. Your 1st sentence I agree with and part of your 2nd sentence then off you go too. Improving your faults LOL, may improve your skills. But there is plenty of things in HoT that could do with a major revamp as noted in many other threads.

Improving your faults in this context = improving whatever you’re lacking, in this case it can be player skill. Wasn’t that hard right?
A revamp? LOL there’s plenty of positive feedback specially on reddit so who should Anet listen to, the ones who complain and want a revamp or whatever metrics they use to meassure user satisfaction? Pre-HoT it was too easy and now it’s too hard? MMOs have way too many kind of players, some will be unsatisfied and are expected to move on to another that satisfies’em.
I hope they never revamp the current maps based on whiners, they can improve on’em in their next release but kitten don’t make another 1 1 1 1 spam map like core tyria.

I wish there was more people like you posting in these forums. It seems like the casuals who enjoyed doing noting pre HoT are running these forums.

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

I think a lot of people actually felt like you at first OP, but that’s why I like them so much. The more you play, the easier it is to travel, you learn shortcut, masteries that help getting around, you eventually get the feeling that you really mastered the jungle.

I know the jungle better than most of the core tyria maps, and I did map completion 13 times. Because in the jungle, knowing the map and shortcut is useful, unlike the core game, where you’re basicly moving from one point to another.

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

As long as they are fun and challenging i’m okay with spending 2 hours. And yes i think VB,AB and TD are really fun meta events. It finally takes some sort of organization to do large content in Gw2 unlike before.

And they sold unlike before as well, XD

This is not the way, and now Anet knows it. Thats the important.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

This I do agree with. The only problem I find really is the Megaserver system putting people into empty maps, heck I once was commanding DS and then the game came up saying it was going to close map and move us to a more populated one in an hour…..WE WERE FULL!

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

This I do agree with. The only problem I find really is the Megaserver system putting people into empty maps, heck I once was commanding DS and then the game came up saying it was going to close map and move us to a more populated one in an hour…..WE WERE FULL!

I totally agree with you, including the “stupid” megaserver player allocation.

Zeonis.1962

Yea alot of people bought Gw2 due to hype at that time like any HUGE game but many bought it for that reason the hype of a big new mmo, they played it didn’t like it and quit. Of course half the sales from the original Gw2 game were just a bunch of bandwagon gamer’s like all games. then the xpac came out of course the sales weren’t gonna be the same as the original game. But maybe you have a point they went and catered too much for the hardcore players. But i’m happy as can be and i think alot of others are too.

(edited by Zeonis.1962)

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

Yea alot of people bought Gw2 due to hype at that time like any HUGE game but many bought it for that reason the hype of a big new mmo, they played it didn’t like it and quit. Of course half the sales from the original Gw2 game were just a bunch of bandwagon gamer’s like all games. then the xpac came out of course the sales weren’t gonna be the same as the original game. But maybe you have a point they went and catered too much for the hardcore players. But i’m happy as can be and i think alot of others are too.

Yep and i like that at least some people are ok with the changes from GW2 to HoT.

But the problem is that one of the people who wont be glad with those changes and specially their results are the own anet guys.

Its game has underperformed in sales and critics.
And they will change it if they want a different result.

Posted by: skullfaerie.7203

skullfaerie.7203

Yep, I pretty much strongly dislike the game now. Not necessarily because of HoT itself, but everything surrounding it. The 9 month content drought preceding it, the disappointing nature of HoT itself and everything that has happened since then (rushed, boring, not enough story, legendaries still not even released and acquisition not to my taste , leagues implemented prematurely and kittentily, absurd balance, pvp in general, and apparently no real content updates until at least April- so another 6 months drought, etc.). I definitely regret purchasing and especially purchasing ultimate.

I’ve always loved and defended this game but at this point, I feel completely frustrated with Anet and their decisions and I’ve had enough, I think. I suppose enticing p4f players to purchase is more important to them than veterans. Meh.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

You spent 2 hours in the new maps lol. Spend some more time and get used to them instead of coming here and complaining.

Now hold on a second, just how long do you think someone should spend doing something they’re NOT enjoying in the hopes that it somehow becomes enjoyable?

You laugh at them spending two hours, so how long? 10 hours? 20? At what point do you think it’s finally okay to say “this isn’t for me” and move on?

This is a game, it’s supposed to be fun. If someone has to play it for several hours before they start having that fun, then there’s something really wrong. And sometimes, it doesn’t take much to know you’ll not find something to your liking no matter how long you give it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

Hey. If you are running a full glass build, try not doing that.

It’s not the intended build for HoT content. Some people can run glass, but they are always one mistake from instantly down. If you want to explore the content without already being a master of it, put on some tanky stats.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yep and i like that at least some people are ok with the changes from GW2 to HoT.

But the problem is that one of the people who wont be glad with those changes and specially their results are the own anet guys.

Its game has underperformed in sales and critics.
And they will change it if they want a different result.

I think there’s a problem with your logic.

In a few places now I’ve seen you pop up and say so many people bought Guild Wars 2 but only a small handful of those people bought the expansion. While I agree the expansion probably didn’t do as well as Anet would have liked, this whole 4 million people but only a small percentage bought the expansion has a potential logical flaw.

How do you know how many people left the game because it was too easy and didn’t even look at the expansion because of it. 4 million people bought the first game, and maybe 2 million left by the time the first year had hit. Maybe more.

We don’t really know how many people were playing Guild Wars 2. The only real acknowledgment we have from NcSoft is that free to play players didn’t convert in the numbers they thought they would. Which would mean that most people that bought the game had already ceased playing it, and weren’t necessarily likely to buy the expansion.

Basically you’re making a raft of assumptions assuming that a lot of people already loved this game, that they were casual and didn’t buy the expansion.

I’ve always felt this game was niche, but I’ve always been happy with that, because it was my niche. And I agree the expansion is out of my niche in several ways. The game is less mine now than it was before the expansion.

But there’s no way you can say that the number of active players that were playing that game that weren’t free to play that purchased the expansion is particularly low without knowing how many people were playing the game and how many people picked up the expansion. Let’s pretend the user base was half a million before going free to play, which is possible. Then the number of people who converted who weren’t free to play was probably quite high.

I know in my guild only a tiny percentage don’t own HoT at all, and of those, only one or two of them weren’t free to play.

Posted by: Dimi Gravedancer.1463

Dimi Gravedancer.1463

I have a very Love/Hate relationship with HoT:

The Cons:

1. I own my own business, so sometimes I can not log into the game until 2 or 3 in the morning. Now I am not complaining on a scale of WTH?!? But I do say that some of the Content is a bit to hard when it comes to having to solo it because no one is around to help. It seems the scaling system seems a bit a lacking.
When you are running Solo, the missions are supposed to be a bit easier, the more players arrive, the harder the encounter. I did the first couple of Stories solo, but when I got to one point (I believe the Axe or Staff master) in VB, it was nearly impossible to solo. It also seemed, and I could be imagining things, that that particular battle was scaled for multiple players because you had NPC help. So one of two things may have to happen to change that a little. Either A. Buff the NPCs when running solo in the story, or B. Scale it back a little.

2. Gated Progress (I define this in several ways) has become a thing of annoyance. While I am happy to work and achieve my mastery points, having some events hidden behind other events and or instances is relatively annoying. One of the things that gets me most is having to progress in a certain mastery to continue the story.
While some people don’t think it is a big deal, it kind of is. When I play a game, I want to be somewhat free to play. The amount of XP need toward completing a Tract for a Mastery is a bit much. "To Continue The Story, Please Get “X” Mastery". So there I am working solely on Gliding, because that seemed to be the thing needed most, and then all of a sudden I get to a point in the story where I need to Master Language? So I can’t continue the story until I get a certain amount of XP. Which brings me to 3.

3. Again not really to peeved about the hardness of HoT as much as I am sort of against if you have to Solo it. Getting to certain events is kind of a pain. So there are players on the map, but they are all at the event already and you still have to run there. Not a problem!! Except for, when 9 times in one week, while on the way to an event, an event popped up and as usual, not solo easy, actually solo impossible. Again Scaling. The reason I think getting to events is a Con, is because Events give you the XP to kick your story and character to the next level.

4. Event Trolling!!!! The Worst thing to happen in this game, in HoT and in I think certain aspects Central Tyria. Event Trolling. No one wants to fail an event. Failing events gives you nothing! Or should I say Gave you nothing. Now for certain parts of Collections, and other various reasons, You have to have events Fail to get items!! Problem is, people know this, and some people, will not let it fail, not because they don’t want to fail, but because they know it has to fail for people to receive items, and they think it is fun to screw it up for the people who need it. Don’t Believe me? Go to one of those events that needs to fail, and just watch map/local chat.

5. When HoT was released, they seemingly took away quite a bit from the Core game. Dungeons have been Nerfed (drops anyway), and as someone has said above, “Players Like to be on Top of The Game”. That being said, the only way now to be on Top of the Game is Mastery Points and Tracts. It is hard to do Meta Events in Central Tyria because they actually nerfed a few as far as drops.
Example: By myself, at Three in the morning, I was running through I believe Lonars Pass? I came across a Champion Ice Worm. It was Labeled a [Group Event] I’m too Daring, so I took it on, After twenty minute battle, I actually defeated, Alone! I walked up to the Chest! Three Blues, One Green, no Wiggly chest, 11,250 Exp. By myself, and they couldn’t have dropped one Rare or Exotic? I got better loot off the thing before, and there were other people fighting it!! Same thing goes for the world bosses, Dungeon Chests, JP Chests. It seems like if you want a decent drop, you have to do HoT.

Pros:

1. Gliding is a blast!! I love the introduction of it.

2. While it can sometimes be a PITA, the new content is also fun. Some the battles while extremely difficult solo, can be awesome with a group. The challenge of trying to figure out, “Just how the heck do I get to that HP or MP??” can be a lot of fun.

3. I actually enjoy doing the Mastery tracks in Central Tyria. While some call it a grind, I call it something to do!! And as stated several times through out this thread, “Why do you have to get everything all at once?”

4. My favorite thing about the Mastery System, Account Wide!. I have several 80’s that don’t have world completion, so, it makes things a little less “grindy”. I can map Low level areas, and work on a tract, or switch characters and work on high level areas. It is a different thing. I choose where I want to be.

Like I said, It’s love/hate. There are pros and cons of HoT. I still enjoy playing. I never once while doing anything in the game, got the urge to rage quit. I never once felt like I HAD to grind. I actually made a little schedule to keep me from grinding, and it has worked! (A little less now, since I finally got Leaf of Kudzu).

I Can outrun a Centaur!!! Crap TREE!!!!

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Yeah, I don’t play quite as much as I did before HoT. HoT made other games that I used to think were grindy like LOTRO look like games with no grind at all. lol

For me, the grindy systems in HoT have detracted from its appeal. By a lot.

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

HoT is the first game/expansion I’ve ever returned for the money in my entire life.

Not since the migration from Everquest to WoW have I ever seen such a drove of people disappear in such a short time from such a large franchise from such heavy-handed, irrational changes.

John Smedley would be proud.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Hate is a pretty strong word. It’s more like GW2 no longer suits my gaming taste. HoT was fun until I finished the story and did each major event a couple times and the enjoyment pretty much ended there. I unlocked a couple ELITES and spider farmed the kitten out the masteries before it ended cause I hate being gated and the new masteries gave me new ways to explore the maps which was also very short live.

Once I got a good look at the achieves, collections, and other forms of progression HoT has to offer I parked the game and haven’t logged in since. That was 2.5 months ago. It’s all too tedious, repetitive and time consuming. Too much padding for too little content. It is obvious HoT was just living story material that they bundled up with a few new features in an overpriced box and hyped the kitten out of in the hopes of getting new people to buy into the game. It might have succeeded in attracting some new players but have lost many current players in the process due to the radical shift in the game’s design.

I think the problem in that Anet is trying to cater to to many different target audiences and should have just kept focusing on the casual gamers. They are by far the largest target and they are also the ones who are more likely to spend money on gems.

At least I have FO4 now to keep me entertained for the next couple thousand hours. Maybe by then the GW2 will have changed into something I enjoy again.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

Posted by: Syraxis Windrunner.1973

Syraxis Windrunner.1973

I agree, hate is a strong word. I do have the hardest time pushing the log in button though. Im not a collection junkie, I really don’t care about achievements, and the events get very boring and repetitive after youve done them a few times. Those things can’t be counted as “content”. Content is story progression, content is character progression, content is not just things to do. I really think that someone needs to travel to the ANet studios, and give them an education in what content is. I mean, if endless grinds to collect things is your thing, then more power to you, but its not and never will be my cup of tea. It seems like at every crossroads that they have a choice, they inevitably have made the wrong one in my opinion. Its hard to come back to this game, even though I want it to be good.

Edit: for more clarity

(edited by Syraxis Windrunner.1973)

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

For me as a wvw roamer, I was dissapointed in Hot. first I was hyped up. But at the end.. I dont like the revenant, i was expecting more of the elite specialisation of my favorite class, the New borderlands are worst then eotm, and in other to have a guildhall you need to grind, get gold, and all that…. So what brought Hot for a guy like me besides airships in wvw wich I never use…. Exactly.
Nothing.. GW2 used to be my default game, no more!

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I think they should keep track of metrics on different maps and take elements from the most popular and apply them to any new maps. I suspect Silverwaste is more popular than HoT maps even only taking into account people with the expansion (I have it myself and been spending lots of time there lately) since you can jump in immediately and start progressing whereas the reward structure on other maps while it’s good they give extra experience it’s always at fixed times so you risk getting a bad map if you’re late.

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Hate HoT. Was terrible for the game.

All I remember was the whole “now you have the tools to play classes the way you want to, we did this by giving them options or some crazy stuffs like that”. In reality its: we added a new trait line to each class and you have to choose it if you want to be viable in the new game…..meaning you lose 1 of the other trait lines when making your build. And if you don’t play the game the right way, you aren’t meta, and the other elite trait lines of the other classes will steamroll you.

…options….the expansion really nailed it gj.
Really you just replaced the old meta with a new one of the same design…only now you require HoT to play most of the old content. And the new zones and events of HoT were pretty much just taking existing gw2 things and stamping them with a gian HoT logo so now normal players are geared off from playing those things without sucking.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

Marthkus.4615

It seems to me a good chunk of HoT was living story seasons spliced together. Which I totally get. That was their business model before people demanded to pay money for it. (I was one of those people. I want GW2 to be b2p not f2p).

I expect the next expac to be more cohesive. And I expect another expac. I don’t care if living story seasons stop. More expacs! Effective $50 per year subscription model!

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Did you ever get so mad that you bought a game out of rage?

That was me last night after wasting well over a half hour trying to keep Nobles camp from dying so I could access Axemaster G. There was a total of 4 people that ever appeared and only one helping out.

So, finally, choppers down, and boss time. Axemaster G has me and the one guy asking for help in chat. The rest of the map was busy failmashing on Matriarch, taking a solid 16 minutes to down a single boss. With 4 minutes left, there was no way Axemaster was going down. Nevermind that Axemaster is a horribly designed boss that no one will ever do a second time because of insta-kills and constantly spawning adds. Why bother?

Learning to break bars since HoT.

Posted by: mhamilton.3095

mhamilton.3095

I bought this expansion pack 13/2/16 . I absolutely hate it , total waste of money .I gave up trying to do the story in the Verdant bank . as i just could not get around the map as all wp were contested . Could not look at the map without getting killed by the numerous mobs .very disapointed with the game .

Posted by: skullfaerie.7203

skullfaerie.7203

I bought this expansion pack 13/2/16 . I absolutely hate it , total waste of money .I gave up trying to do the story in the Verdant bank . as i just could not get around the map as all wp were contested . Could not look at the map without getting killed by the numerous mobs .very disapointed with the game .

Tbh, there are countless valid complaints and reasons to dislike the expansion (I dislike it too), but this sounds like a l2p issue to me.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: mhamilton.3095

mhamilton.3095

I have been playing GW2 for a long time now , I know how to play .And I still think the purchase of this expansion was a waste of money .

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

HoT do not make me hate GW2. I am disappoint with HoT and really do not like HoT map and event. Only thing save expansion for me was ad glide to core map. I feel like I buy the expansion and get revenant profession, glide in core map, elite specialization, character slot and auto loot for what I pay for. Probably not to bad if I had to buy those 5 thing with gem would be about same price. I only go to HoT map now for profession hero point and then never go back that how much I do not like HoT map. Same thing I do with Dry Top map after I make Mawdrey never go back. HoT map not hard because skill just not fun for me always thing made to annoy me every where on map. Now I just work on make legendary and wait to see if some new thing happen or change made.

;)

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

I have been playing GW2 for a long time now , I know how to play .And I still think the purchase of this expansion was a waste of money .

This is what you said 3 years ago.

Best mmo on the market .LOL…complaints about difficulties in normal maps…

this is what you said 2 years ago.

‘The Reason people stop playing GW2 Iis because the game is a load of crap, compared
with other games on the market.’

This is what you said a year ago.

‘This Change has Totally F……. My game up , With these new Dailys . I dont do pvp wvw so now I have no reason to log on anymore until this has been changed .’

Why exactly are you buying an expansion for a game you clearly don’t like? This is the problem, people spending money on products without researching and then blaming the product because it doesn’t suit their needs.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

(edited by vesica tempestas.1563)

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Hmm…

Nah, I still like GW2. Even while WvW a pretty big focus of mine, I will be eager to play more when the ‘revamp’ comes out.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

HoT killed PvP for me.

WvW was already dead, HoT just cremated the body.

The new Maps aren’t really as fun honestly. Lack of skins. This expansion should have as many new skins as Vanilla imo. Where are all those resources gone?

Also we should have more cool meta bosses on rotation by now. Bring back Twisted .

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Did you ever get so mad that you bought a game out of rage?

That was me last night after wasting well over a half hour trying to keep Nobles camp from dying so I could access Axemaster G. There was a total of 4 people that ever appeared and only one helping out.

So, finally, choppers down, and boss time. Axemaster G has me and the one guy asking for help in chat. The rest of the map was busy failmashing on Matriarch, taking a solid 16 minutes to down a single boss. With 4 minutes left, there was no way Axemaster was going down. Nevermind that Axemaster is a horribly designed boss that no one will ever do a second time because of insta-kills and constantly spawning adds. Why bother?

Seems you haven’t done this map often. Also, you clearly have no idea how the mechanics work on this boss; first you need the one mastery that makes some enemies visible when they go invisible. After that you have to break his bar in order to prevent the insta down skill. Also, you need about 10-20 people in order to kill it. Usually takes 5-10 mins to do so. Pretty easy. You have to look for better maps. If you want to do it, shout out on map, tag up commander, invite people and taxi people to the map. I did that with a friend who was commander. We filled the map and made the whole map do the meta event. If you are to lazy for that (which I understand) you can still find a map. Usually you’ll find LFGs during nightfall.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

ProtoGunner.4953

Example: By myself, at Three in the morning, I was running through I believe Lonars Pass? I came across a Champion Ice Worm. It was Labeled a [Group Event] I’m too Daring, so I took it on, After twenty minute battle, I actually defeated, Alone! I walked up to the Chest! Three Blues, One Green, no Wiggly chest, 11,250 Exp. By myself, and they couldn’t have dropped one Rare or Exotic?

I know this event. I solo this boss within 2 minutes. Don’t know what gear you have, but just use zerker…

Also, the game can’t do if you play online during off times. I mean of course you can’t expect to meet a lot of people 3 in the morning…

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

You have to look for better maps. If you want to do it, shout out on map, tag up commander, invite people and taxi people to the map.

“Looking for better maps” without tools to look for better maps. “Taxiing”…

People accepting this kind of nonsense as a necessity for meaningful gameplay, that’s what’s really wrong with this game. Nothing will ever change if people just fumble along with it.

ProtoGunner.4953

You are right. This taxiing etc. is really something broken, but as it stands now that’s how it works. And whether you like it or not I rather go to a map where they do those events.

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Got to admit, “hate” is a term, that doesn’t fit in this case in my opinion. Way too heavy. But “dislike”, yes, I pretty much dislike this expansion for several reasons.

Apparently I’ve been stupid enough to throw 100€ at Arenanet in order to get an expansion, that makes me quit a few weeks later after a lot of years of playing Guild Wars. Which is sad. And a bit frustrating.

First let’s take a look on what type of player I really am. I’m a mid 20 guy with a full-time job, I study, I do sports regularly, have a girlfriend and a music project (second girlfriend) as well. So my time schedule is extremely unpredictable, so …

… raiding is pretty much nothing I can take care of. Pugging has always been a high risk factor due to the meta driven toxic playerbase. Dungeons and Fractals provided much more freedom. I could gather some friends for them almost all the time, try hilarious builds, theory crafting a bit and that’s it. Of course, after the years that content gets pretty much boring. Every content gets boring after rushing it year after year. Are new Dungeons added? No, their rewards are gutted so no one wants to do them anymore. Are new Fractals added? No, they are not. No need to stay here, doing the same content after three years is not what I call “fun”.

What has been the most interesting part of this game? PvP and WvW, right. Did theory crafting for both modes and I enjoyed it. Haven’t been bad either. Constructed several builds for all classes until they finally worked out well. Right now the PvP-meta is a total power creep without any tactic involved, thanks to the imbalance of the classes. Most of the PvE-players complain about Anet balancing on base on PvP, so they never achieve balance in PvE and I understand that. Fun fact: This company balances on base on PvP and even that is a complete mess right now. So, what about WvW? Well, because of the new map we, Elona Reach, don’t have any enemies anymore. Only a handful of servers are left, who care about the borderlands. Most of them seemed to abandon them. At the moment I don’t enjoy this particular game mode either.

The visuals and the design of the new maps are simply gorgeous, great job on that aspect. I even like TD. But the mob density is a bit overtuned in my opinion. These mobs aren’t even more challenging, they are more annoying. Very important difference! The raid is more challenging, yes. The mobs on the new maps aren’t. They’re just there to slow you down, to annoy you to oblivion, it seems.

Story, no big comment on that topic. Better than the last half of the base story, but still horribly executed.

So after all, what’s left for me? New maps with boring metas on timers I cannot stick to due to my unpredictable time schedule. Achievements I don’t care about, because they don’t add anything to the gameplay besides adding some points to an irrelevant number in your ingame profile. I just want to play a game due to the fact that the gameplay is fun. Not due to collections with skins as a reward, that are not even interesting for me. If HoT even has any skins.

I don’t know what origin of language you speak,
Buy in English, the word hate fits exactly as defined.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hate

There is your proof.

Posted by: Thraellic.5147

Thraellic.5147

You have to look for better maps. If you want to do it, shout out on map, tag up commander, invite people and taxi people to the map.

“Looking for better maps” without tools to look for better maps. “Taxiing”…

People accepting this kind of nonsense as a necessity for meaningful gameplay, that’s what’s really wrong with this game. Nothing will ever change if people just fumble along with it.

It’s not an unfair expectation.

(edited by Thraellic.5147)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Also, you need about 10-20 people in order to kill it.

How convenient that there were, at most, only three people there.

There aren’t enough “l2p” insults that can cover missing 10+ people. Funnily enough, there isn’t a Summon 20 Players elite on my toolbar, either.

So, instead of the rather lacking l2read responses, perhaps recognize the nature of the matter at hand. HoT focuses entirely too much on “group” play, in every zone. And I can’t think of a single spot where it does that well, except maybe Dragon Stand (if one is lucky enough to get a not-dead map full of missing bodies or AFKers).

Verdant Brink’s boss structure should have been a good idea, but the players won’t go to Axemaster or Tetrad, because “too hard.” Rather, go facemash Matriarch for the one chest and take all 20 minutes doing it. And then flail around for 100 minutes waiting for the next boss rush.
Auric Basin’s Tarir event.. actually not so bad. I have my complaints about the timed reset after downing a direction’s vines, but as long as people participate and communicate, it’s okay.
Tangled Depths is irritating. Not for the boss, but for the map’s layout. And the weirdness of being on a timer that leaves huge dead zones after the chak are done.

It’s an MMO, of course, and Silverwastes is a fair example of how to get group content done right.
To be fair to Verdant Brink, the outpost support makes for decent gameplay to pass the time until the boss rush, and it goes beyond “defend fort, build walls,” that can get easily played out in Silverwastes. The day-night mechanic kills it, though.
Auric Basin is a nice map overall, with only some areas locked behind the meta. You cross your fingers every time hoping Tarir succeeds, but it’s not as bad. Kinda gets a C+, I suppose.
I don’t have nice things to say about Tangled Depths. I just don’t.
Same goes for Dragon Stand, but for a separate problem. It highlights some baffling decisions and GW2’s lack of tools to find a good map.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

HoT has definitely soured me on GW2
-Rewards are terrible
-Too many map currencies to buy nothing interesting
-Too many scheduled timers
-Too many long event chains to again basically get greens blues, junk and useless map currencies
-WvW double rekt First with Stab change (not HoT) then with crazy unbalanced elites
-Grind Halls
-Ascended price increase
-Fractal rewards nerf
-general gold nerf
-Massive gold sinks and nerfs throughout the entire game
-CC, condi, knockback overkill in all of the HoT maps is super tedious

Dashingsteel.3410

- Changing from guild influence to cynical gold sink system
- taking things out of core game and repackaging in HoT( fractal rewards, guild boons, nerfing dungeons to force players into HoT content, etc.)
- Maps are pretty but for me they have no lasting charm
- Mastery points and hero points(this is the new player experience on steroids……. and I destested the original New player experience….. Experience alone should have been enough to get masteries)
- underwhelming amount of armor and weapon skins

pretty much :V

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Also, you need about 10-20 people in order to kill it.

How convenient that there were, at most, only three people there.

Most events in the game scale down for 3 people minimum. It can be done and it can be a lot faster when compared to the average zerg, but everyone participating will have to know what they’re doing and put in the effort, whereas in the zerg, only a fraction does. It’s far easier to break bars for example with a few people that want to, than a lot of people that don’t care, which is why breaking pre-nerf Shatterer was impossible and why events don’t scale 1:1.

Personally, I’ve only done the axemaster with as little as maybe 5. I’ve done the frogs with 3 and have solo’d the egg wyvern. As for the other two, I’ve never seen them with less than 10. It’s unfortunate that you’re not actually rewarded for putting in the effort compared to mindlessly zerging, which funnily gives you more rewards due to increased spawns.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It’s unfortunate that you’re not actually rewarded for putting in the effort compared to mindlessly zerging, which funnily gives you more rewards due to increased spawns.

It’s a fair point. Why fight the ‘hard’ bosses when you get the same large chest reward from any of them? Zerg Matriarch safely, and don’t worry about helping out. The meta-map reward isn’t enticing or advertised enough to coax players into doing anything else.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Ziggro.7482

Ziggro.7482

I’m in the same boat, tryed hot for a while, forcing me to grind and play, but in the end, i dont want another wow clone and left it 1 month after the xpac release and i could never play it again, even tho i launch it weekly to see my toons.

I’m not a casual player, but their hardcore content idea is not very good and i think they should go back to their fun philosophy that made this game great.

Posted by: Chryses.5906

Chryses.5906

I wouldn’t say that I hate the game now, but I have been finding it more and more difficult to find a reason to play. I think the raid and the 2 hour meta events kind of ruined it for me personally.

Hopefully the April update brings some good stuff. Until then I will probably just log in for my daily login chest then go play/do something else.

Posted by: qbalrog.8017

qbalrog.8017

This is a game, it’s supposed to be fun. If someone has to play it for several hours before they start having that fun, then there’s something really wrong. And sometimes, it doesn’t take much to know you’ll not find something to your liking no matter how long you give it.

So many people forget that this is a game. We pay for an entertaining experience. We have other options for our time and entertainment dollars.

Yes, creating good content is hard but that’s the business Anet is in. I don’t really care for HoT but I do like GW2 and hope it can survive what at best we know from NCsoft’s earnings release was a weak expansion launch. Q1 will unfortunately not look any better.

I’m sure GW2 won’t get the plug pulled but I’m much less sure there won’t be staffing cuts, which will just accelerate an already downward spiral. What really surprises me is that a group of devs that seemed to have such a great vision and steady hand could have made these decisions.

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

I’m a hardcore casual player. What does this mean? I play a lot (4+hours per day) I’m not a beginner but I’m no Pro either, just your average Gw2 junkie. (i play for fun, not being the best of the best.) GW2 was great, everyone was friendly and helpful unlike the game i came from “WoW”. I often solo play but like the mild interactions with others in the game, over a FPS game like Skyrim. I don’t need nor want alot of social interaction like HoT forces you to do.

I grew sick of HoT mostly because the expasion seemed like a much harder different game in all ways then before. Less fun and more surfing the internet for guides on how to do stuff. Which imo if you have to google fights then your lacking the fun aspect of games. I shouldn’t have to study outside the game in order to play it.

More challenging content on an indivual basis is understandable for those that want it. I however was just fine the way it was. Where is my new content for that now? Where are all my new maps to explore and ranodm elements not listed anywhere but fun things you stumble across while exploring the edges of the game? nowhere apparently, go play another game it seems to be what you are saying. And i did!

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

(edited by Kelly.7019)

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

i’m thinking the game itself is really great – but what i keep finding is that there is always some mechanic in place somewhere as if someone made it their job to say “This will upset them”, “This will really mess them up, haha” “awww, they are going to hate this” – looks like your efforts to frustrate people worked.

stuff like account bound, soulbound, masteries gated by achievements, you can only play poker if you play old maid 500 times, you can have your desert only if you ate carrots 4 days ago, here’s a bunch of stuff for your inventory that we won’t give you space for and you have to play a part of the game very few people like 800 times to make something you don’t want, but if you discard it you will NEVER be able to make it again….gate skins, thats fair game, gating stats is bullying.

I think these “Bully Mechanics” took it’s toll……..Other wise the game itself is obviously fun. there is a lot to enjoy…..“But first you have to do everything you hate”

a few examples are -

it’s painfully obvious they want me to play a ton of fractals to get certain things only available in fractals, that I’d like for wvw or roaming in pve ie – ascended backpack, tyria mastery points – I’m sure fractals is great but I don’t like the 5 man team mechanics because more often than not no one in those areas like noobs, – so it’s not a “hot join” type area. Most players in this area expect you to know everything about being pro before even going in the first time, so the ‘elite’ players in those areas killed that part of the game for me.

then there’s all the account bound / soulbound stuff ( which I am so happy that they made ascended account bound only – because I think that would have made me quit if they made it all soulbound – I’m not concerned about skins, my goal is to have the best stats, and you really can’t betray a pvpr ( wvw in this case ) any worse than forcing them to grind insane amounts of pve to get the best gear stats, then forcing them into a world of unbalanced fights you refuse to balance. I feel more like the victim of a bad joke than a gamer on that point.

the gw2 hot game and concept is great, the mechanics are kitten.

dear whomever, I’m sorry your character got popped in diablo 1 and they took all your stuff, I didn’t do that, please don’t take revenge on me in wvw…thanks!
Trivia – in diablo 1 – when they enabled pvp, if someone killed you, all your money and items would drop to the floor and everyone in the area would take your stuff while you respawned naked, and you had to go back to the area you got dropped, naked, to see if there was anything left. This bug was coined “popping” a character. In D2 – they fixed that and made the victims drop ears and pvp became a big thing.

ps – would be nice to have a character like the D2 trap assassin in a future upgrade ^.^
and yes, we have traps now, but nothing like the lb trap the D2 Trapsin had! Those were great! trapsin explained :p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btbuhXZa9Og

*his trapsin build is lite, my traps would do 10k damage per bolt, I miss that run actually.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

(edited by Ricky.4706)

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

With fractals anyways noobs are expected in lvls 1-20. After that you should have an idea of what to do, (they are the same just stacks in difficulty) and if not just do them a bunch until you are use to them. There’s daily stuff now that gives you the opportunity to practice and get rewarded for it. I personally dislike the term “noob” nowadays because everyone uses it to insult everyone all the time even though they aren’t “new to the game” aka “noob/newbie”.
It’s no longer a skill reference as it is an insult. Those using this term in game aren’t worth playing with as they have huge egos and are baddies themselves most of the time. There aren’t that many elite players that i’ve seen in the game but there are alot of A###%^%$#^. Pugging isn’t that bad anymore though, because a lot of people know what to do. The best pugs i’ve found are the silent ones, where everyone knows what they are doing or don’t mind minor mistakes- its a pug not a pro guild run! If you have a loud mouth in your group, i’d bail even before it begins because most likely if the group runs into trouble, THEY will be the trouble!

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

(edited by Kelly.7019)

Posted by: Paandor.1950

Paandor.1950

Core game was great for casual players like me, HOT is not for casual players. End of story. I experience more frustration than fun. I’m done.

Posted by: root.2859

root.2859

First 1.5 years I played PvE only, then moved on to WvW (fracs and dungeons from time to time, pvp when in wvw queue). Had a great time in WvW, but you guys now the rest of its story… Had some hopes for HoT, but it brought even more frustration:
- dungeons not worth doing for me anymore
- together with a friend and pugs we played fracs to 100 for the skin, took us 3 days, then never touched again (hard fracs not worth repeating, farming easy fracs→NO TY, Im no robot srsly)
Last 6 months of playing this game, especially WvW, was just frustrating, only nostalgia keeping me on board. HoT was the final proof that Anet has NO CLUE what made this game great. I hate them for HoT. I made a Rev, played it for 30min in WvW, then relogged guard and never touched it again.

HoT turned your gf GW2 into a cheating b!7ch. It’s time to ditch her, simple as that.

If you don’t know what to do:
rocket league and naval action are my new gfs

Posted by: Azalis.5142

Azalis.5142

I honestly can’t stand to play this game now because of the new expansion and it’s grind based additions to the games with HoT. I’m too casual of a player to get a legendary but this new addition for a precursor are so much of a grind fest I might as well grind for gold and buy one off the market. The maps are ok, VB being the best, and TD being the absolute worst to play in. The mastery system is horrible because after completing the expansion with two characters and grinding towards map completions with multiple characters I’m nowhere near to maxing out my mastery for HoT alone (note I’m a casual player) and yet no longer have the interest in replaying these maps after doing it so many times. The core game is still more fun to play than HoT to me, I’ve still done fractals for a while but haven’t seen a single ascended drop besides rings, honestly ascended rates from all areas of the game should be a lot higher due to the costs of materials rising, the amount of gold you are likely using to help out your guild with, who unfortunately are dying due to realizing the new guild updates are killing small guilds altogether. This game has been nothing fun like and previous Guild Wars content I’m used to, I was with GW1 core game when Factions and Nightfall came out and it was always a fun new experience to play, yes it was a new game but the fun content was what mattered. I just am not liking this HoT content and I want to know who else agrees or disagrees.

Yeah I’ve played for about a week after a long break, leaving again. The expansion zones are just awful. The layouts are bad, the NPC monsters are hilariously strong, and then they run in groups of 2-5? And does everything stun or knock down while simultaneously putting on 2-3 conditions AND nuking you for 50+% of your health? It’s not fun at all, I spend more time avoiding NPCs because fighting is so not fun and usually gets me killed.

Then there’s the PvP balance problems. Too much for me, I’m not going to waste my free time getting frustrated.

Marthkus.4615

Huh. I found HoT too easy on my soldier necro → reaper so I started map clearing with a rev.

HoT content isn’t meant for glass builds. You have to be very careful and already know the tells for each mob to survive the cc spam. Try a balanced build and watch things be easier. You won’t get nuked for 50% of your health.

Oh and my reaper still solo’d HP’s within the time limit. There are DPS checks, that’s why a balanced build is required not nomads.