Why am I crafting precursors?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Obtena – people wanted a non-RNG method of getting a precursor that they could work at themselves.

Somehow you think a non-RNG translates to cheaper. It doesn’t and I don’t think Anet’s goal was to cater to people that wanted it cheaper either. Not their failure if someone assumes something that doesn’t come true.

Eventually, crafting method will become financially weighted to established methods. There are people where the main factor to choose crafting a precursor isn’t cost. You weren’t ever going to get a system where performance matters. That’s even more exclusive than the crafting is …

The trading post has always been an effective means to obtain a precursor without the need to rely on RNG. Sure, Anet might not have explicitly mentioned that they were going to make it a cheaper alternative, but the logical assumption was that that would be the case because otherwise it would be a pointless addition. The RNG drops on the trading post would maybe decrease in price a bit, but would still retain value for their convenience, while anyone could instead choose to put more labor and time into crafting it while being able to save their gold as well.

Instead, we have a system that takes more time, more work, and more money than just outright buying it. It’s a completely inferior process that, at best, doesn’t change anything, and at worst, introduces a host of new problems while completely failing to address the problems that inspired the concept to begin with.

That’s just a narrow perspective. The system appeals to people that don’t care about how much time work and money it takes to craft a precursor. I personally think this solves one of the key problems with the original concept which was a lack of a static, measurable goal to earning your legendary.

It doesn’t solve anything. Players could already measure their progress toward a precursor by saving up gold until they’d accumulate enough to buy it from the TP. It’s not a narrow perspective; it’s the only logical one. People prefer less work, time, and money over more. Especially when there’s not even any sort of trade-off between the three.

Examples like the OP’s situation highlight just how objectively worse off a person is crafting a precursor instead of just saving up the gold. Because of this, the entire implementation of precursor crafting, and all of the work it took to bring it in, is wasted. This is why it is such a huge disappointment.

(edited by Black Box.9312)

Posted by: RustyMech.9876

RustyMech.9876

Wow, the old legendary precursors are cheap to craft when compared to the new legendary precursors :o

Posted by: mist.9807

mist.9807

I’ve started crafting one, and I’m a bit disappointed by the cost. I would have preferred it to be more so like a collection which required doing various things throughout the world vs. a huge material sink.

That being said, I still think there’s a point to it. For the most part I’m pretty dedicated to crafting it without buying a single thing off of the TP. Why? I’m not in a rush, like everyone else seems to be. So what if it’s time-gated? People here always complain about having to farm, and it just so happens I don’t like doing that so I don’t. Thus, my build up of materials is inherently slow. Collecting all of the materials I need for the actual legendary will take a while for me, probably about as long as it’ll take for me to craft the precursor naturally. So although I don’t like it 100%, I do think it’s a nice alternative. Before I would have been required to spend 100’s of gold… now I don’t.

Posted by: BennyKay.6139

BennyKay.6139

cost me about 1700-1800g to get twilight through crafting dusk. beats the heck out of the 3800g price on TP.

Anteater Academy
Tempest | Reaper | DH
Platinum Rated Trash Player

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Time = gold.

If legendary crafting requires a lot of time, it should be cheap. And if it costs a fortune, it should be fast.

But it is both time consuming and hugely expensive so I will ignore it.

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

cost me about 1700-1800g to get twilight through crafting dusk. beats the heck out of the 3800g price on TP.

Dusk is less than 1.300 not 3.800!

Why do people always confuse precursors with legendaries. Calculate what you “paid” for crafting Dusk and compare that to 1.300. The cost from Dusk to Twilight is the same – whether you buy Dusk from the TP, find it or craft it.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

The RNG drops on the trading post would maybe decrease in price a bit….

You don’t actually think that the precursors on TP are only being posted by players who happened to RNG them, do you?

Edit: The same can be said of the Ascended Mats…..

(edited by Soon.5240)

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Anet never told people that it’s a cheap way, it’s a non RNG way to get precouser it doesn’t mean cheaper, easier or faster to get.

Anet also never told us that if we bang our heads against brick walls, it might hurt.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Attention GW2 Players: Don’t bang your heads against a brick walls.

Not even close. Terrible analogy is terrible.

Some people can’t save 600 gold ever, period. It’s not in their blood. But they can tool away at a collection at a bit at time in smaller amounts.

For me, I enjoy the scavenger hunt feel more than buying it off the trading post, yes, even if it is more gold.

It’s more entertaining for me to get parts to a collection. Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t mean it’s banging your head against a brick wall. For some of us, it’s pretty cool.

Essentially it’s more fun for me to farm random stuff than it is to farm gold, which has far more limited channels.

Congratulations on enjoying anything Anet do. You are clearly their target audience and I’m happy (for you) that your needs are being catered to so wonderfully.

My biggest issue with legendary weapons was always the RNG based acquisition of the precursor. My account has been wildly unlucky and when they first announced the scavenger hunt in 2013 I was happy, but it never came. When HoT was announced they finally gave us what we were promised (yes the had promised it before). Did they tell us they were going make it cost the same or more than a TP precursor? Of course not, because they knew what the reaction would be.

The single greatest addition to GW2 for me was the precursor mastery and because of it’s implementation I haven’t and won’t spend a single point in the track, not one.

The game’s every system has been reworked to force gem sales to a degree I couldn’t have imagined and I’ve been hugely sceptical of the gem store since launch. They’ve gone a direction I won’t follow, but some will and I’m glad (for you) that you’re enjoying the ride.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

(edited by Aidenwolf.5964)

Soon.5240

….and I’ve been hugely sceptical of the gem store since launch.

People will catch on….

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

I don’t want to have to buy the item with gold – off the TP or through a collection.

Help me out here …

As far as I know nothing Anet sells for gems is needed, so when you say “buy off the TP” I assume you’re referring to buying items others players are selling …

So if they got them to sell YOU can get them too without buying …

Surely.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Obtena – people wanted a non-RNG method of getting a precursor that they could work at themselves.

Somehow you think a non-RNG translates to cheaper. It doesn’t and I don’t think Anet’s goal was to cater to people that wanted it cheaper either. Not their failure if someone assumes something that doesn’t come true.

Eventually, crafting method will become financially weighted to established methods. There are people where the main factor to choose crafting a precursor isn’t cost. You weren’t ever going to get a system where performance matters. That’s even more exclusive than the crafting is …

The trading post has always been an effective means to obtain a precursor without the need to rely on RNG. Sure, Anet might not have explicitly mentioned that they were going to make it a cheaper alternative, but the logical assumption was that that would be the case because otherwise it would be a pointless addition. The RNG drops on the trading post would maybe decrease in price a bit, but would still retain value for their convenience, while anyone could instead choose to put more labor and time into crafting it while being able to save their gold as well.

Instead, we have a system that takes more time, more work, and more money than just outright buying it. It’s a completely inferior process that, at best, doesn’t change anything, and at worst, introduces a host of new problems while completely failing to address the problems that inspired the concept to begin with.

Exactly this – people hoped for a system where if they played a lot – that time put into the process would have value.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Harper.4173

That’s just a narrow perspective. The system appeals to people that don’t care about how much time work and money it takes to craft a precursor. I personally think this solves one of the key problems with the original concept which was a lack of a static, measurable goal to earning your legendary.

But the problem here is that most people do care about how much work and time and money it takes to obtain (craft) a precursor.
If they didn’t we wouldn’t have had complaints about precursor crafting since people would have farmed their gold and bought their precursor from the very get-go.

There was always a static measurable goal of earning your precursor – how much gold you had vs its TP price. This has not changed -the collections require just as much gold however you now have more things tacked on.
I don’t see how it allows you to better measure how close you are to it vs just comparing your gold to the TP price.

Harper.4173

I don’t want to have to buy the item with gold – off the TP or through a collection.

Help me out here …

As far as I know nothing Anet sells for gems is needed, so when you say “buy off the TP” I assume you’re referring to buying items others players are selling …

So if they got them to sell YOU can get them too without buying …

Surely.

I was trying to say “I do not want to spend gold to obtain this item – I want to be able to work towards it and spend time or skill in order to acquire it”.

Is it clearer?

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Well i just crafted my Juggernaut, and this Thanksgiving I’m thankful for getting this precursor for under 700g. It was over 1000g last time i went to buy it. Although i had intentions of crafting it myself, i had a change of heart after reading this thread. Almost everything you craft in GW2 isn’t worth the materials to make them. This fights inflation and gold sellers and keeps the economy in check. I speculate precursors are going to start coming back up once everyone figures this out. T-6 mats are also down due to HoT.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It doesn’t solve anything. Players could already measure their progress toward a precursor by saving up gold until they’d accumulate enough to buy it from the TP.

That’s not a static goal. Price of precursor changes on TP. Earning X mats … that is a static goal. It also gives you much more freedom to decide how you can get those mats and how many.

But the problem here is that most people do care about how much work and time and money it takes to obtain (craft) a precursor.

Then they have the option to take whatever choice to getting a Legendary they feel best suits their playstyle and preferred method. I mean, this is just boiling down to one thing; People don’t like ANY of the choices so they are going to just complain about everything. Well, that’s too bad. If none of the options fit your playstyle, well, not sorry, you just don’t get a Legendary.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Such an Epic Journey LOL

Pranked by Anet

It is an Epic journey, Is your definition of epic journey requires no gold, time sink and effort to get complete? Because that’s not epic.

Yeah right, roaming around low level zones that has 0 difficulty, ignoring all the mobs, and gathering woods/ ores for hundred of hours is SO EPIC am I right? Some people who clearly doesn’t know what kind of a joke this precursor crafting is and call it epic really need to go do your research. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

I’m not even exaggerating. The whole journey is asking you not to “play the game” for hundred of hours because they want you to gather 30000 worth of woods or ores.

If it requires raid currency, then I’d call it epic.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

It’s very saddening for me to come to this revelation. I don’t understand what’s going on. Everything that has been implemented since the expansion has completely stabbed everyone in the back. Ascended crafting has practically tripled in cost; we now have to salvage multiple pieces of those pricey gears for a ball of dark energy for a collection or three.

They talk of keeping Legendary stats the same as ascended because they don’t believe in the “new tier of gear,” yet they practically contradict themselves directly by successfully draining gold and items from the economy and then requiring additional gold and items to be spent on gear that has always been available.

Hate to turn this thread into a bash HoT one, so I’ll stop. Thanks four your input, and I’ll know not to look at another precursor collection. I halfway want to drop Colossus but since I’ve already spent this much on it -.-.

Ask yourself WHY the cost tripled. What do you think caused it? Did it just “happen” out of thin air? Did Anet somehow “remove” people able to craft the ascended mats? No? Then what caused the price to triple?

Players did by wanting to rush and be first. Anet added more areas to the game that needs ascended mats (guild halls, precursor crafting) and the supply remained the same. So in a sense, the price tripled mainly because demand for the mats increased, and the supply is drying up. So anet needs to increase the supply in order to start to balance things out.

Until then, I’m just gonna keep selling all my ascended mats and enjoying the liquid gold and buy what I want.

Aidenwolf.5964

It’s very saddening for me to come to this revelation. I don’t understand what’s going on. Everything that has been implemented since the expansion has completely stabbed everyone in the back. Ascended crafting has practically tripled in cost; we now have to salvage multiple pieces of those pricey gears for a ball of dark energy for a collection or three.

They talk of keeping Legendary stats the same as ascended because they don’t believe in the “new tier of gear,” yet they practically contradict themselves directly by successfully draining gold and items from the economy and then requiring additional gold and items to be spent on gear that has always been available.

Hate to turn this thread into a bash HoT one, so I’ll stop. Thanks four your input, and I’ll know not to look at another precursor collection. I halfway want to drop Colossus but since I’ve already spent this much on it -.-.

Ask yourself WHY the cost tripled. What do you think caused it? Did it just “happen” out of thin air? Did Anet somehow “remove” people able to craft the ascended mats? No? Then what caused the price to triple?

Players did by wanting to rush and be first. Anet added more areas to the game that needs ascended mats (guild halls, precursor crafting) and the supply remained the same. So in a sense, the price tripled mainly because demand for the mats increased, and the supply is drying up. So anet needs to increase the supply in order to start to balance things out.

Until then, I’m just gonna keep selling all my ascended mats and enjoying the liquid gold and buy what I want.

Guild Halls require ascended (which is new)

Ascended recipes were changed to make Elonian more expensive (done with intent) and made all equipment more expensive.

Raids require (players actually require) ascended

Fractals stopped dropping ascended (by design)

These increases were 90% Anet

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Ascended recipes were changed to make Elonian more expensive (done with intent) and made all equipment more expensive.

Did you read anything past the first line? Don’t think you did.

Also, you forgot precursor crafting. (which was something in my post )

Aomine.5012

Do you know why the price is tripled?

There’re 2 simple reasons.

One is requiring MASSIVE time-gated materials. Some of them requires up to 100~110 of the same type of time-gated material. It’s a very very cheap way to lock people away from legendaries for 3~4 months, not because of the difficulty and the challenges, but because of the pure time-gate issue.

The second reason is NO-ONE likes to do the boring low level zones for HUNDRED of hours just to gather 30000 worth of woods/ores. That’s why people ended up paying triple of the amount BECAUSE Anet is forcing them to do the most boring/brainless stuffs in game for hundred of hours.

So basically it’s not because of the challenge that push people away from legendaries. Is not because of the effort that push people away from the legendaries. It’s because of this cheap time-gate strategy in addition to asking you NOT to “play the game” for hundred of hours that drive people away from this new precursor crafting (I don’t consider roaming in maps that cause me 0 threat, skipping all mobs and just running around for woods/ores = playing the game)

If they ask for 5000 of currencies from HoT contents or 20000 badge of honors, people would be more willing to do so because it’s more engaging and fun. It’d be a long journey sure, but at least it’s more meaningful than gathering 30000 woods/ores. But instead, it’s all about money and time-gate again.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

Do you know why the price is tripled?

There’re 2 simple reasons.

One is requiring MASSIVE time-gated materials. Some of them requires up to 100~110 of the same type of time-gated material. It’s a very very cheap way to lock people away from legendaries for 3~4 months, not because of the difficulty and the challenges, but because of the pure time-gate issue.

The second reason is NO-ONE likes to do the boring low level zones for HUNDRED of hours just to gather 30000 worth of woods/ores. That’s why people ended up paying triple of the amount BECAUSE Anet is forcing them to do the most boring/brainless stuffs in game for hundred of hours.

So basically it’s not because of the challenge that push people away from legendaries. Is not because of the effort that push people away from the legendaries. It’s because of this cheap time-gate strategy in addition to asking you NOT to “play the game” for hundred of hours that drive people away from this new precursor crafting (I don’t consider roaming in maps that cause me 0 threat, skipping all mobs and just running around for woods/ores = playing the game)

If they ask for 5000 of currencies from HoT contents or 20000 badge of honors, people would be more willing to do so because it’s more engaging and fun. It’d be a long journey sure, but at least it’s more meaningful than gathering 30000 woods/ores. But instead, it’s all about money and time-gate again.

The flip side of this is that people who do spend time with their little axes and picks and sickles can now make a decent amount of money. It’s the rich-feeds-poor (or simply hard-working) economy. Is it fun for mid-tier people who want to get legendaries/ascendeds? Not particularly. Not for a while, either… but until prices stabilize, we could always go gather resources and make our fortunes. At that stage we’ll be able to collect our own legendaries for cheap. =)

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

Oh for…this again?

1. ArenaNet have NEVER said that the precourser crafting system would be easier or cheaper then the current way, it’s not meant to be easier, it’s meant to be an alternative method of obtaining a precursorIf your going to distill everything down to basic numbers, then fine don’t craft precursors just buy them if it means that much to you, but don’t come on the forums and cry about how precursors are too difficult to obtain, a legendary is not something handed to you,

2. What happened to the FUN? I found crafting my precursor super interesting and compelling, having to create a basic weapon then slowly upgrading and infusing it with various magics and strange items throughout the world

Can we please stop with this “discussion” about how ArenaNet “falsely advertised” (Which they didn’t) and quit demanding the system be changed to make it easier, legendaries are common enough already, and now that a non-RNG system is in the game, people still complain… sheesh, if you don’t like it go play a singleplayer game

Aomine.5012

Oh for…this again?

1. ArenaNet have NEVER said that the precourser crafting system would be easier or cheaper then the current way, it’s not meant to be easier, it’s meant to be an alternative method of obtaining a precursorIf your going to distill everything down to basic numbers, then fine don’t craft precursors just buy them if it means that much to you, but don’t come on the forums and cry about how precursors are too difficult to obtain, a legendary is not something handed to you,

2. What happened to the FUN? I found crafting my precursor super interesting and compelling, having to create a basic weapon then slowly upgrading and infusing it with various magics and strange items throughout the world

Can we please stop with this “discussion” about how ArenaNet “falsely advertised” (Which they didn’t) and quit demanding the system be changed to make it easier, legendaries are common enough already, and now that a non-RNG system is in the game, people still complain… sheesh, if you don’t like it go play a singleplayer game

I bet you’re filthy rich, and skip all the tedious part by buying everything, then you can have your fun in part 3.

Try not to use gold for once and start gathering 8000 soft woods, 6000 hard woods and call it fun.

I’d not make it easier. I would ask for 5000 currency in HoT contents and 20k badges of honor instead of 100 t7 materials. I’d ask for 10 raid currency too.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

thewaterguy.4796

Oh for…this again?

I bet you’re filthy rich, and skip all the tedious part by buying everything, then you can have your fun in part 3.

Try not to use gold for once and start gathering 8000 soft woods, 6000 hard woods and call it fun.

Welcome to an MMO, legendary weapons are not some super cheap thing everyone gets as a “thanks for playing”, that’s why they are legendary weapons, as I said, if you don’t like it, you shouldn’t be playing MMO’s

Aomine.5012

Oh for…this again?

Welcome to an MMO, legendary weapons are not some super cheap thing everyone gets as a “thanks for playing”, that’s why they are legendary weapons, as I said, if you don’t like it, you shouldn’t be playing MMO’s

LMAO.

All the MMO I know/played give you TOP GEARS by doing the HARDEST, TOUGHEST contents, TOUGHEST bosses, with TEAM EFFORT.

GW2 ask you to do the most boring stuffs: Logging/Mining for hundred of hours for legendaries. I DO NOT consider this as playing the game, or playing MMO.

thewaterguy.4796

Oh for…this again?

LMAO.

All the MMO I know/played give you TOP GEARS by doing the HARDEST, TOUGHEST contents, TOUGHEST bosses, with TEAM EFFORT.

GW2 ask you to do the most boring stuffs: Logging/Mining for hundred of hours for legendaries. I DO NOT consider this as playing the game, or playing MMO.

I’m sorry, explain to me why Arena-net should devalue legendary weapons for all players who have worked so hard to craft them just because a few people whine about it on the forums? Legendaries are something you earn by dedicating time and effort to the game, simple as that, if you can’t understand that, well I’m afraid there’s nothing more I have to say to you

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Oh for…this again?

Please don’t kid yourself, there is nothing legendary about farming gold.. it took no skill whatsoever. That’s what precursor crafting should be about, doing miniquests that require a legendary amount of skill. Not who can put up with farming the most gold while being too stupid to realize they could sell those mats and buy the precursor for cheaper off the tp.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Oh for…this again?

LMAO.

I’m sorry, explain to me why Arena-net should devalue legendary weapons for all players who have worked so hard to craft them just because a few people whine about it on the forums? Legendaries are something you earn by dedicating time and effort to the game, simple as that, if you can’t understand that, well I’m afraid there’s nothing more I have to say to you

Leaving aside the fact that there’s nothing “legendary” about grinding gold or puking weapons into the mystic toilet, we’re talking about precursors here, nor legendaries. Precursors, I’ll point out again, are entirely ordinary exotic weapons that happen to be part of a mystic toilet recipe.

Soon.5240

I was bored over the summer, and farmed mats for my Legendary while listening to and watching the NBA Playoffs. How was that “dedicating time and effort” ? Lol. I chopped trees and mined iron…. Could a less imaginative method be devised?

And what do I care if someone buys a Legendary? It has no impact on my game play.

I never played GW2 to preen about Lions Arch showing off my gear to nameless strangers on the internet, anyway. Most of my 4,800 hours have been spent in WvW.

If someone has a Legendary in WvW, it doesn’t give them an unfair advantage over me. It’s a skin, nothing more. The stats are the same as Ascended and are only marginally better that Exotics.

GW2 was never to be about grinding in the first place. Ascended should never have been introduced into the game.

It’s been all down hill since…..

(edited by Soon.5240)

Aidenwolf.5964

Did you read anything past the first line? Don’t think you did.

Also, you forgot precursor crafting. (which was something in my post )

Sorry I was agreeing with you but you’re 100% right about pre crafting (which I won’t do).

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

Anet never told people that it’s a cheap way, it’s a non RNG way to get precouser it doesn’t mean cheaper, easier or faster to get.

They just forgot to make it a FUN way. Anybody farming iron by coincidence?

That’s your opinion, for some people if they can’t get what they wanted for 1g in 5 minutes they will consider it not fun. If you don’t like time consuming and gold sink you shouldn’t be looking at legendary in the first place. They are not meant to be cheap or fast.

So you agree it’s not fun?