Why does Lege armor have to be tied to Raids?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think that Legendary Armor being tied with the Raids is a skillful example of players manipulation from ANet’s part.

The main issue here is not why the Armor is tied with something, but Why after one year from the launch the promised Armor is not ingame?

Or we could take off the tinfoil and realize that the delay is likely caused by Anet having to divert resources into developing Living World content in addition to whatever early development they are doing on the next expac.

So the thing that should have been ready for the last expansion is delayed because now they need the resources for the next expansion? Sounds funny

Only a minority of players want legendary weapons. Most players want new content to play.

Living Story adds new content.

When ANet realized that they may end up losing more players by not shifting focus to the Living Story than they would keep by focusing on the legendary weapons, they changed gears.

They had to choose between two evils. Neither choice was a good one. So they had to choose the one that impacted the game negatively the least.

There’s been 9 months from Living World season 2 to HoT. After that, there’s been another 9 months from HoT to the start of Living World Season 3.

They are still working on the content of HoT, yet they started working on the next expansion and that should justify that parts of HoT are delayed again? They knew that HoT contains the next season of the Living World, but apparently they didn’t plan ahead.

Doesn’t look good if you think of the next expansions.. I know, there’s a dedicated expansion team now, but Anet is constantly working at full capacity – yet that’s not enough to reach their goals.

Maybe because they keep losing key people to Amazon who’s just down the block from them and can afford to pay more? I wouldn’t want to be in Anet’s shoes as a business.

The list of high level people hired away by Amazon is pretty amazing. Those people have to be replaced and new people have to be hired and trained. They have to learn the code. It all takes time, unfortunately.

Amazon announced 3 games that they’re making simultaneously, mostly centered around interfacing with twitch. I have no idea how good they’ll be, but to think that doesn’t have an impact of schedules and production time isn’t really realistic.

Sure as a fan that doesn’t really matter. It’s part of the reality of trying to run a game company. By the same token, it’s gotten make everything take longer, no matter what your original plans had been.

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Oh, here we go with the entitlement accusation again…..

If anyone is to be accused of entitlement, it should be those who complained to developers that there wasn’t enough hard content in gw2. These entitled gamers felt that the expansion(HoT) should cater to them. They are the ones who called for changes to the game to fit their gaming experience.

It was pretty transparent that hard content was not what they were really after. They wanted exclusivity. How dare a scrub have the same skin as me!!! So the entitlement argument is laughable……

You do know that when the game was first getting announced that dungeons were described exactly as how raids are now. There were supposed to be this extremely deadly and difficult content and turned out to not be when players used everything available to their advantage. Orr was way more populated and the mobs were harder until a few months after release because people thought it was to hard. Now you could bring a beach towel and an umbrella and have a great day in Orr while laughing at all the mobs doing nothing.

The game was always meant to have difficulty for the people looking for it but over time the game turned into this casual mess with nothing difficult to speak of. So of course people complained for harder content, how else were you going to keep interest in something that is so easy you can pilot it in your sleep? We never wanted an entire expansion to cater to us. All we wanted was for content that was hard enough to require effort to complete.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You do know that when the game was first getting announced that dungeons were described exactly as how raids are now. There were supposed to be this extremely deadly and difficult content and turned out to not be when players used everything available to their advantage.

Not… quite. They were described to be harder than open world content (which they were, and for the most part are even now), but extremely deadly? Not really. They were never really meant for only a small subset of the populace even in the beginning.

And they are not easier now just due to players getting more experienced, and due to power creep. It’s also because once Anet realized that they are just a bit too difficult for an average player, they nerfed them. Hard.

Orr was way more populated and the mobs were harder until a few months after release because people thought it was to hard.

And Anet evidently agreed then, or they wouldn’t have nerfed those as well.

We never wanted an entire expansion to cater to us. All we wanted was for content that was hard enough to require effort to complete.

And if it was all you’ve got, there would have been no complains.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

As much as this game shifts legendary armor should either be made near baseline or ascended armor should be easier to change stats on and stat combinations more readily available

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Legendary should denote mastering the game at the highest level in all aspects – including PVE, PVP, WvW, Raids, Fractals – even stuff like jumping puzzles. Creating a legendary should involve reaching the pinnacle in all of these game modes. Otherwise, what’s the point?

Tying it exclusively to raids was a mistake.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Legendary should denote mastering the game at the highest level in all aspects – including PVE, PVP, WvW, Raids, Fractals – even stuff like jumping puzzles. Creating a legendary should involve reaching the pinnacle in all of these game modes. Otherwise, what’s the point?

You are contradicting yourself. First of you only need to raid for the 150 insights and the collection. The rest is the usual PVE grind (tokens, t6 mats, clovers etc) any legendary consists of.
Second you say it should involve reaching the pinnacle of the game modes. Raiding is currently by far the most difficult, measureable goal, the game has to offer.

Fractals are a joke, lvl 100 is easier than 50 pre HoT. Open world is a joke. WvW is mainly dead karma train and zergs trading kills. PvP has a tiny competitive playerbase, so you most of the time you just meet achievement hunters or reward track farmers.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You do know that when the game was first getting announced that dungeons were described exactly as how raids are now. There were supposed to be this extremely deadly and difficult content and turned out to not be when players used everything available to their advantage.

Not… quite. They were described to be harder than open world content (which they were, and for the most part are even now), but extremely deadly? Not really. They were never really meant for only a small subset of the populace even in the beginning.

And they are not easier now just due to players getting more experienced, and due to power creep. It’s also because once Anet realized that they are just a bit too difficult for an average player, they nerfed them. Hard.

The exact wording, iirc, was that explorable dungeons were intended to be for, “Coordinated teams of skilled players.” While that may not have been a small subset of the total player base, it did not describe everyone.

As to nerfs… ANet has been Jekyl and Hydeing game difficulty since shortly after release. Every time I see people, “Too hard,” repeated enough, I expect a nerf. Every time I see, “Too easy,” repeated enough, I expect an attempt to generate more difficult mobs/encounters. So far, ANet has responded every time complaints on one side or another reach some kind of critical mass.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

I think that Legendary Armor being tied with the Raids is a skillful example of players manipulation from ANet’s part.

The main issue here is not why the Armor is tied with something, but Why after one year from the launch the promised Armor is not ingame?

Or we could take off the tinfoil and realize that the delay is likely caused by Anet having to divert resources into developing Living World content in addition to whatever early development they are doing on the next expac.

So the thing that should have been ready for the last expansion is delayed because now they need the resources for the next expansion? Sounds funny

Only a minority of players want legendary weapons. Most players want new content to play.

Living Story adds new content for pve players to play

When ANet realized that they may end up losing more players by not shifting focus to the Living Story than they would keep by focusing on the legendary weapons, they changed gears.

They had to choose between two evils. Neither choice was a good one. So they had to choose the one that impacted the game negatively the least.

fixed it! you’re welcome.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

they are adding pvp maps consistantly and new things to wvw also. pls go complain elswhere about your lack of content.

im bad at sarcasm

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

You didn’t fix anything. What I said wasn’t wrong. You added to it.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

I’m fine with it being raid only. Those that want it, can work for it. Those that don’t want it, like me. Don’t have to. The raid is boring and uneventful for me =/
I personally have more enjoyment out of content where one’s equipment didn’t determine pass/fail

You seem to have the wrong idea about what raids are. It’s not a case of working for it, it’s a case of whether you know the right people that determines pass/fail.

No matter how good you are, at least around about 80% of it is who you know. Forget doable in greens, they’re doable while dead if you end up with the right people, and flat out impossible with the wrong ones or on your own.

(edited by Eponet.4829)

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

Anet recently closed all the other threads on this topic. Saying ‘go talk about something else’. It seems from the recent posts there’s still plenty left to talk about.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

You are contradicting yourself. First of you only need to raid for the 150 insights and the collection. The rest is the usual PVE grind (tokens, t6 mats, clovers etc) any legendary consists of.
Second you say it should involve reaching the pinnacle of the game modes. Raiding is currently by far the most difficult, measureable goal, the game has to offer.

Fractals are a joke, lvl 100 is easier than 50 pre HoT. Open world is a joke. WvW is mainly dead karma train and zergs trading kills. PvP has a tiny competitive playerbase, so you most of the time you just meet achievement hunters or reward track farmers.

Here’s the problem with that thinking. Raids aren’t any more difficult than getting to 100 in fractals or mastering the ranks of pvp. Being successful in raids comes down to copying builds off of a website and being lucky/diligent enough to find a group that wants to grind out raids week in and week out.

They are about math, luck and being willing to stepford wife your build and playstyle to the point where everyone in the game will eventually be the exact same (from playstyle and builds all the way through to how we all look with the introduction of a single set of legendary armor).

I know that sounds harsh and a little jaded, but it is the reality of what raids are in GW2 (and that is in no way meant to demean raiders – its Anet’s approach to raid design that is the issue).

So, with that in mind, I say legendary armor (even weapons imo) should reflect a dedication to the entire game, not just to grinding the math and “everyone be a clone now” gamestyle that is raids in GW2.

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I’m someone that is having an especially hard time getting in raids because I’m guildless and didn’t learn the encounters when they were new. Making legendary armor possible to attain outside of raids would benefit me greatly.

Having said that, it makes sense to me why it is only attainable in raids. Outside of living story where you fight actual dragon, raids is supposed to be where you fight the strongest villains. So killing those villains should offer something unique.

Also, I think it’s intended to make more people want to raid. But the issue with that is that it is hard to get started if you haven’t done the fights and don’t have enough legendary insights to join pug groups, and don’t have a guild. And also, balance is an issue because everyone is trying to mirror the meta comp.

So I think legendary armor is fine being a raid exclusive, but Anet needs to balance the game better so more people can actually get into raids. Make boons share up to 10 people, instead of 5, in just PvE. And give every class a competitive dps build.

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

I’m someone that is having an especially hard time getting in raids because I’m guildless and didn’t learn the encounters when they were new. Making legendary armor possible to attain outside of raids would benefit me greatly.

Having said that, it makes sense to me why it is only attainable in raids. Outside of living story where you fight actual dragon, raids is supposed to be where you fight the strongest villains. So killing those villains should offer something unique.

Also, I think it’s intended to make more people want to raid. But the issue with that is that it is hard to get started if you haven’t done the fights and don’t have enough legendary insights to join pug groups, and don’t have a guild. And also, balance is an issue because everyone is trying to mirror the meta comp.

So I think legendary armor is fine being a raid exclusive, but Anet needs to balance the game better so more people can actually get into raids. Make boons share up to 10 people, instead of 5, in just PvE. And give every class a competitive dps build.

i help lead a guild thats getting new players into raid with no experience. pm or mail me in game if your on NA for a inv. this goes to anyone having issues. (shameless self advertising i know)

im bad at sarcasm

Posted by: Hypairion.9210

Hypairion.9210

Here’s the problem with that thinking. Raids aren’t any more difficult than getting to 100 in fractals or mastering the ranks of pvp. Being successful in raids comes down to copying builds off of a website and being lucky/diligent enough to find a group that wants to grind out raids week in and week out.

They are about math, luck and being willing to stepford wife your build and playstyle to the point where everyone in the game will eventually be the exact same (from playstyle and builds all the way through to how we all look with the introduction of a single set of legendary armor).

I know that sounds harsh and a little jaded, but it is the reality of what raids are in GW2 (and that is in no way meant to demean raiders – its Anet’s approach to raid design that is the issue).

So, with that in mind, I say legendary armor (even weapons imo) should reflect a dedication to the entire game, not just to grinding the math and “everyone be a clone now” gamestyle that is raids in GW2.

Nice to know that raid are easy, so there is no problem having legendary armor behind them. After all, there are plenty of rewards behind specific mode game.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Nice to know that raid are easy, so there is no problem having legendary armor behind them. After all, there are plenty of rewards behind specific mode game.

The whole argument behind locking that reward behind specific content is that raids are supposed to be hard, thus that best stuff is locked behind them. If they’re truly easy, if the difficulty in them is finding a group of ten people that are all interested and dedicated, well, then that’s an issue for me.

Either they’re hard, in which case, some people will not be able to do them, or they’re easy in which case they don’t deserve a specific reward.

People can’t have it both ways.

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

The whole argument behind locking that reward behind specific content is that raids are supposed to be hard, thus that best stuff is locked behind them. If they’re truly easy, if the difficulty in them is finding a group of ten people that are all interested and dedicated, well, then that’s an issue for me.

Either they’re hard, in which case, some people will not be able to do them, or they’re easy in which case they don’t deserve a specific reward.

Throwing in Anet’s decision to lock XP gain for everyone behind raids so you won’t get xp on any HoT or Living Story season 3 map unless you defeated a raid boss.

Being able to get xp in a game shouldn’t be a specific reward.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Anet recently closed all the other threads on this topic. Saying ‘go talk about something else’. It seems from the recent posts there’s still plenty left to talk about.

Honestly I think people are just talking in circles at this point.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: MrGhosty.4296

MrGhosty.4296

The idea of legendary armor only viable for raider is total crap.

The game is an open world content mmorpg and war between players. The idea of getting legendary weapon from open world adventure is very great from Anet. This is probably the best idea to get legendary. But come on, do we fan of open world content should do raid just to get the armor?

Legendary backpiece has 2 ways to get it. Fractal is a short time dungeon (mostly acceptable for us open world lover because you can just do it for 30 minutes and you’re finished). If you don’t like fractala, you can do PvP as other option which is also acceptable (30 minutes of fight and done).

But hey, I don’t ever heard a 30 minutes raid. You have to spend hours to finish it. We have game for raid lover, it’s called World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV.

This is guild wars 2. It is a unique mmorpg that give you flexibilities to play what you like and the end game is endless (get rich, WvW, doing fun exploration with guildies while making every second matters).

Yeah I get it some people really love raiding and stuff like that. But have you ever think why in the first place we play GW2?
Just a suggestion, at least give us other choice to get legendary armor via something else. We don’t want to spend so much time just to done 1 raid. (If you gonna argue me on this by saying build a static or crap like that, it isn’t an option for some of us, most of my friends in-game have thing called life.)

Also to all of you who think we should get legendary armor via raid only, you should learn that not everyone have the time to spend 2-3 hours on raid just to get it. We have job, family and stuff to do in real life. Try to be in our shoes once a bit.

This is an honest rant from me and my friends.

Tl;dr : make other option to get it. Thank you.

Sincerely yours, MrJ

The people that raid have lives as well, it just happens that they schedule themselves to spend their free time raiding instead of doing other activities. While I like the heavy armor that I’ve seen, I doubt I will ever have legendary armor due to being unable to raid. I don’t see that as a reason to suddenly make this armor also available elsewhere. Putting raids as the primary means of acquiring gives incentive for people who really want the armor and rewards those already putting in the time. I see this being no different to people going for the other uber special gear in the other modes. GW2 is a game of play how you want, not play however you want and get exactly the same things as everyone else. I don’t mean this rudely, because being the skin hound that I am it really bothers me I won’t get my hands on this armor, but if it bugs me enough I will do what I must to get into raids.

I’m all for making sure the game is fair and balanced for everyone, but making every single thing obtainable from anywhere lessens its theoretical value and we as MMO players are still chasing the items of theoretical value. That’s kind of the point. Having or not having this armor won’t change the game for you, but it’s very possible that pursuing this armor by playing raids could very well change the way people game for the better.

Seera.5916

Throwing in Anet’s decision to lock XP gain for everyone behind raids so you won’t get xp on any HoT or Living Story season 3 map unless you defeated a raid boss.

I’ve gotten plenty of XP on HoT maps despite never even stepping foot into one raid.

I think you mean locked out earning XP to go towards spirit shards if you don’t max out the raid mastery.

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

I’ve gotten plenty of XP on HoT maps despite never even stepping foot into one raid.

I think you mean locked out earning XP to go towards spirit shards if you don’t max out the raid mastery.

If all of your mastery tracks are full (except for raids), you won’t get any xp until you’ve defeated a raid boss. Personally, I don’t care about spirit shards, but my xp bar stays at 0/0 all the time.

That’s why it’s been highly controversial to lock xp gain behind raids. Now that people claim that raids are hard and they should get a special reward (legendary armor) for it, it’s even more questionable.

Seera.5916

If all of your mastery tracks are full (except for raids), you won’t get any xp until you’ve defeated a raid boss. Personally, I don’t care about spirit shards, but my xp bar stays at 0/0 all the time.

That’s why it’s been highly controversial to lock xp gain behind raids. Now that people claim that raids are hard and they should get a special reward (legendary armor) for it, it’s even more questionable.

You didn’t state that it was only after you filled up your entire tracks. You literally said this:

To me that reads if I bought a new account, used the level 80 boost, and took my character immediately to a HoT map, that I would not gain any experience because I’ve not defeated a raid boss.

You did not put in a “except those who haven’t filled all of their mastery tracks” clause and those players still exist. I am one of them.

I do however agree, that locking XP gain and spirit shard earning behind doing a raid boss in Heart of Maguuma areas was not a decision that should have been made. They should have a repeatable 0 MP track that players can choose to put themselves on when they’ve finished all tracks they want. This repeatable track gives out spirit shards when completed.