Will this expansion address issues in PvE?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Many Pesky Monk.3140

Many Pesky Monk.3140

Hey guys. I’ve returned after a long hiatus, but I see that the glaring issues that have plagued the PvE scene since release are still around. Also seems like PvE in general has been abandoned.

Are there any fixes coming to any of this in this expansion?
Like, are they going to fix the glaring issues in dungeons? More support for Fractals and Dynamic Events?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can find more information about the expansion at the Heart of Thorns website accessed via the links above.

Good luck.

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

Could you be a little more specific on these “issues”?

On one note, fractals are receiving a huge update with Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Hey guys. I’ve returned after a long hiatus, but I see that the glaring issues that have plagued the PvE scene since release are still around. Also seems like PvE in general has been abandoned.

Like, are they going to fix the glaring issues in dungeons? More support for Fractals and Dynamic Events?

Can you be more vague?

- Dungeon. 99% sure they completely abandoned that. Their focus for PvE is now Fractal and Raids.

- What do your mean by support for fractals? They will expand them, change how it work a little and rework the rewards. Support for fractals??? I have no idea what you mean.

- Dynamic Events. What is wrong with them? Rework some of the world bosses to be a bit harder?

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

- Dungeons are probably abandoned. They’ve even started calling fractals “fractal dungeons” so that when they say “dungeon” in the future they can say, “Yeah, we meant fractal dungeons.”

- Fractals are being overhauled. Now it’s one fractal per run, so that fractals can have a lower time commitment per run—probably a good idea, given the next point. They’re also changing the reward structure, adding new rewards to them, and letting fractals lead you to a legendary backpiece.

- Raids are being introduced. We don’t know much about them at this time except that they’re 10-person parties, will have three bosses in the first released “wing,” and that they’re going to use the Mastery system (like gliding during boss fights). Colin said they want to promote the use of control and support, not just damage, for raids. Also, raids will offer legendary armor sets.

Whether that addresses any of your concerns, I don’t know! But I’m hopeful for raids and the new fractals stuff, at least. I just hope they don’t abandon them for the next shiny idea and keep releasing new fractals and new raids after launch.

Many Pesky Monk.3140

- Dungeons are probably abandoned. They’ve even started calling fractals “fractal dungeons” so that when they say “dungeon” in the future they can say, “Yeah, we meant fractal dungeons.”

- Fractals are being overhauled. Now it’s one fractal per run, so that fractals can have a lower time commitment per run—probably a good idea, given the next point. They’re also changing the reward structure, adding new rewards to them, and letting fractals lead you to a legendary backpiece.

- Raids are being introduced. We don’t know much about them at this time except that they’re 10-person parties, will have three bosses in the first released “wing,” and that they’re going to use the Mastery system (like gliding during boss fights). Colin said they want to promote the use of control and support, not just damage, for raids. Also, raids will offer legendary armor sets.

Whether that addresses any of your concerns, I don’t know! But I’m hopeful for raids and the new fractals stuff, at least. I just hope they don’t abandon them for the next shiny idea and keep releasing new fractals and new raids after launch.

Yeah that pretty much addresses most of my concerns. I don’t understand why they would abandon dungeons, though. That’s a lot of PvE content right there for players.

And I do hope that they make new and challenging DEs not just in the expansion area, but throughout the world. Was hoping there would be updates to existing DEs, but maybe in due time.

Yeah that pretty much addresses most of my concerns. I don’t understand why they would abandon dungeons, though. That’s a lot of PvE content right there for players.

And I do hope that they make new and challenging DEs not just in the expansion area, but throughout the world. Was hoping there would be updates to existing DEs, but maybe in due time.

Can you be more vague?

- Dungeon. 99% sure they completely abandoned that. Their focus for PvE is now Fractal and Raids.

- What do your mean by support for fractals? They will expand them, change how it work a little and rework the rewards. Support for fractals??? I have no idea what you mean.

- Dynamic Events. What is wrong with them? Rework some of the world bosses to be a bit harder?

- Sad that they have abandoned dungeons.

- They haven’t received any updates since the last time I played..which was like 8 months ago.

- They haven’t added any new DE’s that are permanent or worth a kitten . And problems that have existed since release on some DE’s (Shatterer) still exist.

I wasn’t being intentionally vague, I was just certain that people already knew about the issues surrounding PvE, didn’t think I had to elaborate much =P

(edited by Many Pesky Monk.3140)

Many Pesky Monk.3140

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

- Sad that they have abandoned dungeons.

- They haven’t received any updates since the last time I played..which was like 8 months ago.

- They haven’t added any new DE’s that are permanent or worth a kitten . And problems that have existed since release on some DE’s (Shatterer) still exist.

I wasn’t being intentionally vague, I was just certain that people already knew about the issues surrounding PvE, didn’t think I had to elaborate much =P

1) Raids and Fractals are where they are focusing their “dungeon” content development for now.

2) Heart of Thorns is introducing a huge update to fractals, which you can read about here at your leisure.

3) 2 new maps were added in the last year which introduced several new Dynamic Events and map-meta events. Not quite sure what the issue with the Shatterer is (apart from the stand and spam 1 that it has always been )

Thaddeus.4891

Well you seem to think that your opinion is the same as everybody else. For exemple, a lot of people think that Fractal is good the way it is now. They just wanted a bit of revamp on the rewards and new maps.

Some people like how the world bosses work now. With Fractals and Raids being too hard for them, they love to casually fight big bosses. It’s not like there is a big community pressure on Anet to work on World Bosses right now.

Agent Noun.7350

I think they have motivation to keep improving the core Tyria zones, because they’re implementing a map reward system intended to keep level 80 players returning to those maps over time. Hopefully that means they’re going to work to make sure those zones stay fun and exciting.

They’re also apparently using the dynamic event system in raids to prevent linearity and have a good variety of activities in them beyond just fighting bosses—I hope that works out well, better than explorable dungeons. Hopefully the years between release and now have taught ArenaNet how better to design PvE content.

As you can tell, I’m hopeful! Cautiously hopeful, but still.

Many Pesky Monk.3140

Well you seem to think that your opinion is the same as everybody else. For exemple, a lot of people think that Fractal is good the way it is now. They just wanted a bit of revamp on the rewards and new maps.

Some people like how the world bosses work now. With Fractals and Raids being too hard for them, they love to casually fight big bosses. It’s not like there is a big community pressure on Anet to work on World Bosses right now.

Ehh when I was around that wasn’t the case. It seems like people just got tired of complaining because their complaints weren’t being heard. Same as when people complained endlessly about dungeons and their glaring issues. The issues weren’t fixed, but the community was ignored so people stopped voicing them.

Many Pesky Monk.3140

I think they have motivation to keep improving the core Tyria zones, because they’re implementing a map reward system intended to keep level 80 players returning to those maps over time. Hopefully that means they’re going to work to make sure those zones stay fun and exciting.

They’re also apparently using the dynamic event system in raids to prevent linearity and have a good variety of activities in them beyond just fighting bosses—I hope that works out well, better than explorable dungeons. Hopefully the years between release and now have taught ArenaNet how better to design PvE content.

I sure hope they have learned their lessons then, if they get it right..exciting times ahead of us haha.

Thaddeus.4891

Ehh when I was around that wasn’t the case. It seems like people just got tired of complaining because their complaints weren’t being heard. Same as when people complained endlessly about dungeons and their glaring issues. The issues weren’t fixed, but the community was ignored so people stopped voicing them.

There is almost zero issue where the community all have the same response.

Many Pesky Monk.3140

There is almost zero issue where the community all have the same response.

Pretty sure everyone agreed dungeons were broken.
Also sure that everyone agreed that most of the PvE content in general has been abandoned (until the xpac now anyway).

In any case, I didn’t make the post to discuss what the community did or didn’t agree on, just wanted to see if there was more being done to bring about a better and more challenging PvE experience. Got my answer, thanks!

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

Did I really just read a thread that said pve is abandoned lol? X3

Agent Noun.7350

The OP hasn’t played in a while and probably hadn’t heard the raid announcement—and, let’s be honest, group PvE hasn’t seen new content in a long time.

Many Pesky Monk.3140

Dungeons have been abandoned.
Fractals haven’t gotten any updates since I’ve last played, like 8 months ago.
DE’s throughout the world have also been abandoned, haven’t gotten any fixes on any of the existing ones that need a fix either.

The only new thing/s are those 2 zones that got added, as far as I know anyway. But do tell if I’m wrong here.

Thaddeus.4891

DE’s throughout the world have also been abandoned, haven’t gotten any fixes on any of the existing ones that need a fix either.

The only new thing/s are those 2 zones that got added, as far as I know anyway. But do tell if I’m wrong here.

You are right on dungoen, but we know that for the last 2 years.

Fractal : So what? Does everything need an upgrade each 2months or they are abandonned? It take time to code those thing. In 2 months they gonna get a major updage, nothing to whine about here.

Just 2 weeks ago they fixed Ogre Wars.

Can you at least wait for the expansion. It’s right there. Who the kitten whine about lacking update 2 months before an expansion. Should Anet take a break of the expansion to give some new upgate?

Many Pesky Monk.3140

Fractal : So what? Does everything need an upgrade each 2months or they are abandonned? It take time to code those thing. In 2 months they gonna get a major updage, nothing to whine about here.

Can you at least wait for the expansion. It’s right there. Who the kitten whine about lacking update 2 months before an expansion. Should Anet take a break of the expansion to give some new upgate?

Not adding anything at all for 8 months is not good, especially for a game with limited challenging PvE content as is.

Also, I think you need to take off those Anet bedsheets for a second. What was my purpose for creating this thread? I wanted to see, if with the expansion, they would be addressing the issues that I’ve mentioned. So I don’t get where you’re seeing me complain about the lack of kitten.

Take a chill pill, breh.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

OP: they were preparing the expansion the past year, so that’s why we didn’t have a lot of updates. ‘Abandoned’ is a very strong word and isn’t true. It’s true for the dungeons, which is strange and sad, but we know that since about 2 years…

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Many Pesky Monk.3140

OP: they were preparing the expansion the past year, so that’s why we didn’t have a lot of updates. ‘Abandoned’ is a very strong word and isn’t true. It’s true for the dungeons, which is strange and sad, but we know that since about 2 years…

That makes sense, thanks!

Also, did they give a reason why dungeons were abandoned?

Agent Noun.7350

They haven’t actually acknowledged that dungeons are abandoned. I think they want to leave the door open to returning to dungeons at some point but have no plans to at this time—that’s my guess, anyway.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I am guessing they were not very popular. Looking at the LFG for dungeons, and there are very few people LFG, and has been like that for a very long time.

Posted by: Requiemcliff.1920

Requiemcliff.1920

Not adding anything at all for 8 months is not good, especially for a game with limited challenging PvE content as is.

Also, I think you need to take off those Anet bedsheets for a second. What was my purpose for creating this thread? I wanted to see, if with the expansion, they would be addressing the issues that I’ve mentioned. So I don’t get where you’re seeing me complain about the lack of kitten.

Take a chill pill, breh.

The general reason why they haven’t updated content in 10 months really is because they have been focusing on working on the new expansion, unfortuanately that tends to be how most MMOs tend to be. (Hell, I recall a WoW expansion taking nearly a year and a half with basically besides the occasional bug fix, nothing to show)

Dungeons, yeah, basically have been kinda abandoned, I can say that. Some changes to the world bosses due to the new mechanics and specialization revamp a few months back.

I dunno, I can’t say that the past 8 months is any indication of how PvE in the future will go, since, well, expansion stuff, I tend to just wait these times out and focus on other things.

Thaddeus.4891

Take a chill pill, breh.

Well not updating a particular portion of the game and not updating the game at all are different concept. The last living world episode was 7 months ago and since then they release the specialisation update, which was pretty huge.

Anet was pretty steady when it come to update. After all they did 29 content update in the first 2.5 years of the game. Granted, these were not all big and great, but a lot of them were.

Like Protogunner said. Anet is concentrating on the expansion so that’s why we are left with no new content the last 7 months and the next 2 months.

Many Pesky Monk.3140

They haven’t actually acknowledged that dungeons are abandoned. I think they want to leave the door open to returning to dungeons at some point but have no plans to at this time—that’s my guess, anyway.

Hopefully they do. That’s a lot of content to just abandon. So much opportunity down the drain..well..for the moment anyway.

I sure hope the expansion makes up for all of that though.

Posted by: Kobra X.6903

Kobra X.6903

I sure hope they have learned their lessons then, if they get it right..exciting times ahead of us haha.

I pretty much agree with everything you have said so far. They are not doing a good job. That is a vague statement b/c there are too many things they are not pleasing me in to have the time to type it all out. But wait guys! There is hang gliding…… Whats that? Oh thats just a bullspit gimmick? Oh.. Yeah I figured… I am killing on them so hard b/c they had a super great amazing wonderful game but they went in poor directions.

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

I happily invite you to WvW then lol, where the newest thing we’ve had in who knows how long is the golem rush event (which I personally found kinda fun lol) that a good percent of people hated. A land of often perpetually same matches, same maps, and same mechanics since who knows when forsaken by the outside world including events, holidays, and lore. A place where hackers and spies find a safehaven, where amazing loot rarely abides, and where new exploits are found faster than the old ones can be fixed. A land I happily call home lol. Not saying pve couldn’t use another update, but you can hardly say it’s been abandoned when overall it’s perhaps the most catered to mode lol. X3

Nuthin personal by the way as it was more of an offhand comment made since I almost never see a thread about this. ^^"

Posted by: Hotstreak.5360

Hotstreak.5360

If you’re not going to design your game for tank / healer / dps, don’t bother designing “dungeons” much less raids.

Seriously. The entire point of dungeons, the whole idea of designing dungeons and raids for a game, was that it required a healer a tank and some dps. Without that there’s no point.

It’s like a movie with no story and one explosion after another with no explanation of what is going on and why we should care. It’s there, that’s great, but what purpose does it serve?

If all I’m going to be doing is dodging ground effects and spamming weapon skills while self healing, I don’t need to go into a dungeon for that. That’s all I do in the game period.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

It’s because most players don’t care about dungeons. Open world content is where it’s at. Time spent updating dungeons would largely be time wasted.

There aren’t likely to be major content updates to the existing world, their focus will be on making HoT content the best it can be. Of course, they will be developing new tricks in the jungle, so they might do some minor updates elsewhere that take advantage of those features.

Pretty sure everyone agreed dungeons were broken.
Also sure that everyone agreed that most of the PvE content in general has been abandoned (until the xpac now anyway).

Nope, none of that is true. It’s an easy mistake though, there’s something called “confirmation bias” that means that when you believe something is true, you’re likely to “collect” opinions that support that belief, and ignore opinions that contradict you, especially over long amounts of time.

They added Dry Top and Silverwastes, which are MASSIVE DE zones, some of the best in the game, and they’ve promised that the HoT maps will improve on that (time will tell whether they’re right, of course).

Hopefully they do. That’s a lot of content to just abandon. So much opportunity down the drain..well..for the moment anyway.

That’s commonly known as the “sunk cost” fallacy, and is basically what slot machines work on. It’s the idea that if you’ve invested time into something, you might as well keep throwing money/effort at the problem to justify the effort you already put in, even if the chances of it paying out are very low. They gave dungeons a valiant effort, turns out people don’t want dungeons, so they’re moving on to other things. The same will happen with raids by this time next year.

There is hang gliding…… Whats that? Oh thats just a bullspit gimmick? Oh.. Yeah I figured… I am killing on them so hard b/c they had a super great amazing wonderful game but they went in poor directions.

Have you tried it? The hang gliding is pretty danged awesome! I totally miss it playing the normal game now.

I happily invite you to WvW then lol, where the newest thing we’ve had in who knows how long is the golem rush event (which I personally found kinda fun lol) that a good percent of people hated.

PvP is intended to generate its own content. Your “new content” is in facing down new batches of players every night, not from things the developers add to the world. They save that stuff for PvE, where it’s needed.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

It’s because most players don’t care about dungeons. Open world content is where it’s at. Time spent updating dungeons would largely be time wasted.

What? Don’t mix opinion with fact. There are dungeon LFG posts every day out there, that get’s insta-full. Granted that they are 80s only party most of the time. Try checking the LFG posts right after Tequatl fight – that’s the prime time since everyone hops on to get their daily dungeon runs done.

ANet just abandoned them, but they’ve taken different approaches to address this. mainly high level fractal and raids, where “skill” plays a very important role in your success. And with a game such as GW2 with such amazing combat mechanics, it’s a shame if you don’t put the effort to utilize it.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

What? Don’t mix opinion with fact. There are dungeon LFG posts every day out there, that get’s insta-full. Granted that they are 80s only party most of the time. Try checking the LFG posts right after Tequatl fight – that’s the prime time since everyone hops on to get their daily dungeon runs done.

ANet just abandoned them, but they’ve taken different approaches to address this. mainly high level fractal and raids, where “skill” plays a very important role in your success. And with a game such as GW2 with such amazing combat mechanics, it’s a shame if you don’t put the effort to utilize it.

This. They didn’t abandon dungeons. They just figured out that it takes less time to build mini-dungeons than it does to build fully voiced 3-path dungeons.

Dungeon content isn’t abandoned. The current dungeons are because they decided it would take as much work to fix their old broken content as it would to add a new fractal or two in stead.

Plus, you know, they already nerfed dungeon rewards in to the ground because zerk meta skip speedrunners pitched a massive fit when they attempted to fix AC, then again when aetherpath was actually kinda hard.

basically, Anet knows they can’t make the open world or non-fractal dungeons remarkably challenging because large parts of their community aren’t here for challenge. They’re here to insert sword, get loot, and socialize and drink a soda or whatever while doing so. People like that don’t really care about the content in the first place, only the speed of acquisition and number of people to chill out with.

They’d be dumb to lose those players as GW2 has fostered a large community with that mindset, and they want to provide a service that appeals to as many people as possible.

Thus, they’re keeping the challenging stuff off the main path, in specific doors you have to go to and open if you want a challenge. For 5 mans that’s fractals. For solo players it’s challenge achievements. And now for larger groups it’s raids. They’re simply expanding the user base this way, creating a type of content that the game was lacking to better appeal to people that may have found the game lacking.

I seriously doubt it’s going to get in the way of the status quo. They’re still going to let you cheese old dungeons for chump change. They’re still going to let you zerg the open world one handed. They’re still going to support those playstyles.

However, they’re moving forward to support some other playstyles too. That’s not a bad thing.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

This. They didn’t abandon dungeons. They just figured out that it takes less time to build mini-dungeons than it does to build fully voiced 3-path dungeons..

No, the conventional dungeon has been deemed dead content. Colin has confirmed it without actually having to say it. Fractals will become mini-dungeons that Colin expected to be finished in 15 minutes.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Confirmed-by-Colin-Dungeons-are-Dead/

Yeah, OP was too vague.

If you’re talking about balance, that’s not going to go anywhere because they don’t balance for pve. They balance for capture point 5v5.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

(edited by TheFantasticGman.9451)