Won't be getting Legendary armor!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

If the argument is that “this is locked behind content I don’t want to play,” then this has been in the game for a long time: Since launch. Hall of Monument rewards are exclusive to people who haven’t played Guild Wars 1. You can’t actually ever earn this unless you pay real-life money for those games and purchase them.

Glorious Armor is exclusive to people who play sPvP. If you do not PvP, you will never get this armor. Season 1 had exclusive rewards which might not ever come back. The Green Skins for Super Adventure Box cannot be earned without playing Tribulation Mode. (If this content ever comes back…)

Ascended gear was first added to the game exclusively in Fractals. I played WvW pretty heavily and I knew many players upset by this. Other means of acquiring them were added inevitably.

(edited by Nokaru.7831)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If the argument is that “this is locked behind content I don’t want to play,” then this has been in the game for a long time: Since launch. Hall of Monument rewards are exclusive to people who haven’t played Guild Wars 1. You can’t actually ever earn this unless you pay real-life money for those games and purchase them.

Glorious Armor is exclusive to people who play sPvP. If you do not PvP, you will never get this armor. Season 1 had exclusive rewards which might not ever come back. The Green Skins for Super Adventure Box cannot be earned without playing Tribulation Mode. (If this content ever comes back…)

Ascended gear was first added to the game exclusively in Fractals. I played WvW pretty heavily and I knew many players upset by this. Other means of acquiring them were added inevitably.

The argument is skins are fine, as long as they don’t come with functionality. But what happens when functionality starts to change. It’s a different tier of gear, a different color. It’s not an ascended SKIN, it’s a legendary armor which guarantees top stats forever and lets you change stats.

Unique skins have always been in the game. Unique functionality, not so much. And you might argue those functions are no big deal. Maybe they are and maybe they’re not. But as a trend it’s alarming. Because the next functionality they lock behind specific content might very well be something major. It’s a bad thing to do generally.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

When will you casuals understand that Legendary armour is the same as Ascended. If legendary armour have increased stats then I can understand some of what you are saying. Stop feeling like you are entitled to the gear because you have played for years but don’t have time. Find a group or guild and start working on it as raids are not temporary content.

Should I be entitled to the PvP back because I have played since launch but find the meta boring or MM stupid? Should I be entitled to the new Legendary weapons because I don’t have the time to sit around for events? Should I be entitled to the FotM back because I hate swampland? Get of your lazy kitten and work for something instead of waiting for the gear to fall in your lap.

3 years of easy content and everything available for free has made the casuals more elitist then the actual elitist.

Isn’t it time we stopped peddling the “casuals vs hardcore” meme? It’s nonsensical and divisive. And just as there’s disagreement on what constitutes a casual, there’s even disagreement on whether legendary is equivalent to ascended. Some argue that the stat swapping makes legendary better. Maybe you should tackle that argument first.

Ok I will bite.

Ascended gear can be stat swapped as well. Sure the runes get removed but if you went from berserker legendary armour with scholar runes to viper you would keep the scholar runes? Of course not so either way you would have to change runes. The only cost will be through insignias and ectos. How often do you stat change that you can’t pay that?

That’s two replies I’ve had where people thought I was debating the equivalency of ascended/legendaries. Before anybody else goes down that track, please understand that I wasn’t debating it and I don’t care either way. I was pointing out that there’s disagreement on whether they’re equivalent just as there’s disagreement on what constitutes a casual, so dividing the player base into casuals and elitists is just arbitrary and divisive. We need to move past that. It’s a zero-information argument.

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

If this was only about skins or minis, I’d have no problem with it.

This is the crux of the issue. Gate titles, skins, and other cosmetic items you like behind whatever content you like. But when actual functionality or power is involved, it goes against the original vision of the game. ANet has a right to do that. They own the game. But they sold it under a different vision. Players are not wrong who consider it a “bait and switch” or even a betrayal.

I am not saying that it is about greed or entitlement. I dont think that either apply. There is nothing entitled or greedy about wanting something, or even expressing that want.

What I am saying is that things that players want have been gated behind content that players don’t like since the game launched. This phenomenon is not new. That this would be the case was not a secret.

Gating different functionality or BiS gear behind content that players don’t like is something rather new for Guild Wars. It is different from how ANet sold the game. Well, it could be argued that ascended gear violated the vision ANet originally sold as well, but ascended is still obtainable via any form of game play. Players that do not like to raid, or PvP, or WvW, or adventures, or dungeons, or whatever do not have to do that content to get BiS gear.

Feel free to express your concern. Complain as needed. Tell the company what might be done to make you a happy customer again. Its not entitlement. Its not greedy. Its being a responsive consumer. Other people have been doing it since launch.

Okay, here is a suggestion for happy customers. Add stat-swapping to all ascended gear. Not all complaining would stop as people will complain no matter what, but the vast majority of the complaints regarding legendary armor should go away with that change. People cannot validly complain that they cannot get a skin or title associated with raiding if they are not willing to actually raid. But not being able to obtain BiS gear without raiding is a valid complaint.

Alternatively, ANet could make legendary armor (though with different skins from the raid armor) available through some other means that do not require specific content.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Stat-swapping for ascended already exists…..

Vayne.8563

I think what’s meant is stat swapping out of combat, not running to the forge to change stats and running back. Crafting a stat change isn’t really the same that at all.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Except it’s not the same thing at all. With legendaries you can just swap your stats at any time, anywhere, as long as you’re out of combat; there’s no need to buy anything, craft anything, or make your way to a mystic forge. You also don’t lose your upgrades when swapping on a legendary.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Except it’s not the same thing at all. With legendaries you can just swap your stats at any time, anywhere, as long as you’re out of combat; there’s no need to buy anything, craft anything, or make your way to a mystic forge. You also don’t lose your upgrades when swapping on a legendary.

Yes but you still have to buy sigils so they work with your new stat combination. Stat swapping alone isn’t exactly useful, in a normal situation you will change sigils (and runes) more often than stats on gear. Now if/when we get legendary runes and sigils it will be a different story altogether.

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Yes but you still have to buy sigils so they work with your new stat combination. Stat swapping alone isn’t exactly useful, in a normal situation you will change sigils (and runes) more often than stats on gear. Now if/when we get legendary runes and sigils it will be a different story altogether.

As a counterexample, a healer might want to adjust between keeper’s vs magi’s vs cleric’s to have tradeoffs of dps vs healing or lowering toughness below the tank. However, you would still want to keep the same runes and sigils.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

To be fair, even though stat swapping on legendaries is far easier, acquiring them is not. It’s a matter of where the bulk of workload is (upfront vs inback). At the end of the day, it’s a matter of what your habbits are, and what you are willing to do.

NSPride <3

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

It’s not like Anet didn’t know that raids would be hated by a portion of its players. When players would create threads on this forum asking Anet to implement raiding there were many posters who were averse to the idea. So for Anet to gate probably one of the biggest “shinies” in the game behind raids was a terrible idea.

Many people don’t like the raiding culture and have left games because of it. The whole “if your not a raider you don’t deserve the good stuff” attitude. People are tired of smug, condescending pricks who happily demean anyone they don’t consider to be their equal. Gear check, ap points, rune set, sigil set etc. etc. I am not saying everyone who does a raid is like this but raids do attract a fair number of these types. Why would Anet want to reward this??? It baffles the mind.

I don’t see why you need to be concerned with the raiding culture at all. Don’t like raiding and raiders? Don’t raid! It’s pretty simple. You can get your legendary items elsewhere.

If the complaint is that raids will have legendary armor first, so what? Nobody promised that they would prioritize your specific wants and needs before everyone else in every case. They simply promised casual content, which it seems they have delivered as defined by the concepts of “horizontal” progression.

Don’t believe me? Go try and craft a legendary item over in WoW without raiding and see how it goes. You can do that here! Not only that, but you have the same stats as the most elite raiders out there!

I don’t see why it should be a requirement that people who participate in content you don’t appreciate must not have access to exclusive rewards simply because you don’t like their attitudes and you don’t feel like participating in raids. Seriously, just go play in your own sandbox and leave the raiders alone.

The only issue I see here is time frame. How long will non-raiders have to wait to see their equivalent legendary armors? I see nothing wrong with providing raiders with legendary armor first, particularly as we’re several years into this game and the first raid has only just arrived. But ANet should take extra care to ensure that non-raiders are prioritized in a timely fashion following this release. Fair enough?

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

This is my argument. It’s not like any other requirement for anything else in the game, because raids DO take far far more effort than anything else in the game. And if you don’t enjoy them, then Anet is requiring you to not enjoy the game.

And yet I don’t enjoy them….ankitten ot required to do them.

You are not required to do them….unless you want legendary armor. This is the truth as we know it so far. There are people working on their legendary sets right now…I happen not to be one of them.

You don’t have to agree with I’m saying, but it doesn’t make it any less valid.

I’m working on it right now and I’m forced to “play” or “visit” the new PvE maps EVERY DAY. The raid part of the legendary armor seems to be the easier part. LOL.

But you aren’t forced to be working on them.

I read this as a tongue in cheek reply to those who say they are “forced” to do raids. Especially with the “LOL” art the end.

We’re not forced to do raids, nor play the game at all. But if the rewards that are new and good are mostly now hidden behind raids, that’s where the pressure is. I’ve left games in the past for just that reason.

Forced might be the wrong word, feel free to read it is strongly encouraged or guided by the push of the game company.

Try to put yourself in a casual players place. After the Winter update, we had two things on top of our screen on the right at the same time….PvP leagues and Raids. That’s what the game was giving us.

Are we “forced” to do it? No, not in the literal sense of the word force. It’s too bad people tend to take things literally the first time they read it, because no matter how many times you explain it afterwards, they continue to push their misinterpretation over the actual intended meaning. That’s sort of the whole point of explaining it.

To be clear in the cases where I’ve been using it forced means strongly incentivized. Pressured. Pushed in the direction of.

As I said. You are also “pushed in the direction” to play the PvE open world content if you want to get the legendary armor.

Legendary armor =/= raids.

Legendary armor = raids + open world

That’s how it is right now.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If the complaint is that raids will have legendary armor first, so what? Nobody promised that they would prioritize your specific wants and needs before everyone else in every case.

At this moment, the complaints aren’t about raids getting it first. They are a result of Anet strongly suggesting that other options aren’t even considered.

I don’t see why it should be a requirement that people who participate in content you don’t appreciate must not have access to exclusive rewards simply because you don’t like their attitudes and you don’t feel like participating in raids.

Now think about it. You say the above, but at the same time completely support people that participate in content you don’t appreciate (casuals) not getting access to exclusive rewards you can get. Simply because you don’t like them not finding raids fun.

Seriously, just go play in your own sandbox and leave the raiders alone.

I’d be happy to. As soon as raiders will stop telling me what i can and what i cannot get as rewards in my sandbox.

The only issue I see here is time frame. How long will non-raiders have to wait to see their equivalent legendary armors?

At this moment the answer is “no shorter than it takes to persuade devs that non-raiders should get it too”. Which topics like this one are all about.

I see nothing wrong with providing raiders with legendary armor first, particularly as we’re several years into this game and the first raid has only just arrived. But ANet should take extra care to ensure that non-raiders are prioritized in a timely fashion following this release. Fair enough?

Assuming they won’t wait with this too long, and inform us about their decision as soon as possible. Because until they confirm that this is what’s gonna happen, people will continue complaining. And raids may end up a casualty in a resulting crossfire.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

“Don’t like raiding and raiders? Don’t raid! It’s pretty simple. You can get your legendary items elsewhere”

Oh?? Really? I can get my legendary armor elsewhere????

By the way, this isn’t WoW….. or it used to not be WoW……

Gw2 was supposed to be an alternative to WoW clones but I guess that is changing too.

Nokaru.7831

At this moment, the complaints aren’t about raids getting it first. They are a result of Anet strongly suggesting that other options aren’t even considered.

Why are you thinking this? What’s the source on this?

I’d be happy to. As soon as raiders will stop telling me what i can and what i cannot get as rewards in my sandbox.

I’m not telling you what you can or cannot get. In fact, the only “demands” I’ve seen are those being made by you.

Astralporing.1957

Why are you thinking this? What’s the source on this?

Last AMA. When asked about alternate ways to obtain legendary armor, they answered

We designed the rewards for raids around the acquisition of Legendary Armor. It’s similar to how players are working towards their legendary backpiece in Fractals or the new Legendary Weapons that are largely something acquired in the open world.

Additionally, today Mike O’Brian announced that all current work on legendary weapons from the second set gets suspended indefinitely (because apparently they need that workforce for LS and other stuff). If they are delaying something they have announced already, the chances of them working on something similar which they haven’t mentioned yet are practically nonexistent.

I’m not telling you what you can or cannot get. In fact, the only “demands” I’ve seen are those being made by you.

I’m not aiming them at you. I’m not telling you how you should play the game. I’m not suggesting you should not be rewarded. All the suggestions i am making are about the content aimed at me and players like me.
And yet the raiders for some reason do not like that.

You are asking me to leave you alone in your sandbox, but it’s you that are unwilling to leave me alone in mine.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Vayne.8563

This is my argument. It’s not like any other requirement for anything else in the game, because raids DO take far far more effort than anything else in the game. And if you don’t enjoy them, then Anet is requiring you to not enjoy the game.

And yet I don’t enjoy them….ankitten ot required to do them.

You are not required to do them….unless you want legendary armor. This is the truth as we know it so far. There are people working on their legendary sets right now…I happen not to be one of them.

You don’t have to agree with I’m saying, but it doesn’t make it any less valid.

I’m working on it right now and I’m forced to “play” or “visit” the new PvE maps EVERY DAY. The raid part of the legendary armor seems to be the easier part. LOL.

But you aren’t forced to be working on them.

I read this as a tongue in cheek reply to those who say they are “forced” to do raids. Especially with the “LOL” art the end.

We’re not forced to do raids, nor play the game at all. But if the rewards that are new and good are mostly now hidden behind raids, that’s where the pressure is. I’ve left games in the past for just that reason.

Forced might be the wrong word, feel free to read it is strongly encouraged or guided by the push of the game company.

Try to put yourself in a casual players place. After the Winter update, we had two things on top of our screen on the right at the same time….PvP leagues and Raids. That’s what the game was giving us.

Are we “forced” to do it? No, not in the literal sense of the word force. It’s too bad people tend to take things literally the first time they read it, because no matter how many times you explain it afterwards, they continue to push their misinterpretation over the actual intended meaning. That’s sort of the whole point of explaining it.

To be clear in the cases where I’ve been using it forced means strongly incentivized. Pressured. Pushed in the direction of.

As I said. You are also “pushed in the direction” to play the PvE open world content if you want to get the legendary armor.

Legendary armor =/= raids.

Legendary armor = raids + open world

That’s how it is right now.

Yes and open world content, generally requires less prep. It doesn’t tend to require grouping (you can do just fine showing up 5 minutes before events. I’m saying that raids have a much higher barrier of entry than any other content in the game.

Most people think casuals make up the bulk of the Guild Wars 2 population. Until now casuals could get legendaries. Sure it would take more time. Sure there were still things that were frustrating, but for some people raids will NEVER happen. No matter how long they have, they will not be able to raid. But they will be able to participate in open world content.

I know people who raid thing everyone can raid…but it’s not true. The amount of hours, for example, you need to put in to world complete is huge. But the number of hours you have to put into world complete pretty much at one time, not so huge.

You don’t have the schedule you life around doing open world PvE content. You do, to to some degree have to schedule your life around raids.

Nokaru.7831

You are asking me to leave you alone in your sandbox, but it’s you that are unwilling to leave me alone in mine.

Citation needed.

AliamRationem.5172

“Don’t like raiding and raiders? Don’t raid! It’s pretty simple. You can get your legendary items elsewhere”

Oh?? Really? I can get my legendary armor elsewhere????

By the way, this isn’t WoW….. or it used to not be WoW……

Gw2 was supposed to be an alternative to WoW clones but I guess that is changing too.

Sorry. I just caught the announcement about indefinitely canceling work on legendary sets. As I said, I agree that this is unacceptable. Obviously, various facets of the game compete for resources, so designing a raid comes at the expense of other content. But that doesn’t excuse a failure to deliver what was promised. It seems to me they may have overreached attempting to get players like me into the game at the expense of their core playerbase.

That’s a shame. These legendary items appear to be far more important to players here than the latest set of gear in WoW. After reading the announcement which revealed some of what goes into the design, I recognize that it’s much more than just an item skin and stats. To the developers, and the players who go after these items, it’s also about the journey and the story.

For the same reason, however, it places a heavy burden on the development team. I can’t really disagree with the decision. Resource allocation toward legendary items when customers are screaming for content is a bit of a priority mismatch.

Having said that, I feel that if there’s any possibility of doing so, they should at the very least follow through with legendary armor sets for non-raiders. Because you’re right: This isn’t WoW. I personally think it’s great what they’ve produced with the raid content and those amazing HoT maps, but to introduce unprecedented and exclusive rewards only for raiders doesn’t seem fair to the players who came here to escape raid-centric MMOs like WoW.

AliamRationem.5172

If the complaint is that raids will have legendary armor first, so what? Nobody promised that they would prioritize your specific wants and needs before everyone else in every case.

I don’t see why it should be a requirement that people who participate in content you don’t appreciate must not have access to exclusive rewards simply because you don’t like their attitudes and you don’t feel like participating in raids.

Now think about it. You say the above, but at the same time completely support people that participate in content you don’t appreciate (casuals) not getting access to exclusive rewards you can get. Simply because you don’t like them not finding raids fun.

Seriously, just go play in your own sandbox and leave the raiders alone.

The only issue I see here is time frame. How long will non-raiders have to wait to see their equivalent legendary armors?

At this moment the answer is “no shorter than it takes to persuade devs that non-raiders should get it too”. Which topics like this one are all about.

I see nothing wrong with providing raiders with legendary armor first, particularly as we’re several years into this game and the first raid has only just arrived. But ANet should take extra care to ensure that non-raiders are prioritized in a timely fashion following this release. Fair enough?

Assuming they won’t wait with this too long, and inform us about their decision as soon as possible. Because until they confirm that this is what’s gonna happen, people will continue complaining. And raids may end up a casualty in a resulting crossfire.

I think I was pretty clear that I agree with exclusive raid legendary rewards, but only if equivalent open-world legendary items are also available to non-raiders. I think it would be a mistake to provide no exclusive rewards to raiders just as I believe ANet is making a mistake in canceling non-raid legendary development. It was promised, right? It goes along with the whole idea of a “casual” MMO, right? That’s what the core playerbase expects.

So even if it isn’t the correct development priority at this point in time (and I agree with ANet that it probably isn’t the right time for it!), they should get it done anyway. Deliver what was promised. Restore the balance to the casual side and give them their own legendary armor sets. Then put legendary development on hold if you can’t figure a way to do these items justice while also prioritizing resources for the betterment of the game.

One more thing. I’m new around here. I wouldn’t presume to tell you how you should play this game or what you can and cannot have. All I’m saying is that it isn’t fair to provide the same rewards for raid content as are available everywhere else. Equivalent? Sure. But these rewards need to be exclusive. Likewise, non-raiders need their rewards, too. And if we’re to stay true to the spirit of this rather unusual MMO, that means those rewards need to be on par with what raiders receive. They just can’t be the same exact reward! Does that make more sense?

Astralporing.1957

Citation needed.

Just look at what you are doing in this very thread and why.
You are arguing agains people that ask for greater accessibility of legendary armor. In this post you clearly seem to think that we shouldn’t ask for it for the content we play in.

Though i do admit that i have made a mistake – my original message was a response to someone else (AliamRationem), and i haven’t noticed it because you stripped the history while quoting. Not sure why you felt that first statement was addressed to you specifically and responded as if you were the person i was responding to.
You personally are indeed one of the least combative people in this thread. Even if you do seem to try to tell me what i shouldn’t be rewarded with.

One more thing. I’m new around here. I wouldn’t presume to tell you how you should play this game or what you can and cannot have. All I’m saying is that it isn’t fair to provide the same rewards for raid content as are available everywhere else. Equivalent? Sure. But these rewards need to be exclusive. Likewise, non-raiders need their rewards, too. And if we’re to stay true to the spirit of this rather unusual MMO, that means those rewards need to be on par with what raiders receive. They just can’t be the same exact reward! Does that make more sense?

Yes. While i do not agree with some of those points, i can respect them (and even live with them). Too bad that at the moment Anet seems to disagree.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Nokaru.7831

You are arguing agains people that ask for greater accessibility of legendary armor.

What you’re linking I was just me saying that exclusive rewards were nothing new. As far as the accessibility of the armor goes, I said they could make the armor or the precursor something that can go on the trading post. (Link) That way, people could just buy it and then finish the legendary on their own time. I really don’t care about the armor being some exclusive to the raid; I actually don’t care much about the armor at all myself, they could add it elsewhere for all I care.

Not sure why you felt that first statement was addressed to you specifically and responded as if you were the person i was responding to.
You personally are indeed one of the least combative people in this thread. Even if you do seem to try to tell me what i shouldn’t be rewarded with.

When you start generalizing people and say things like, “You raiders! You want to do this and that” when I am someone who raids, then yes your comments are directed at me, and everyone else who raids too. Just because someone generalized you doesn’t excuse you doing the same to others.

AliamRationem.5172

Citation needed.

Just look at what you are doing in this very thread and why.
You are arguing agains people that ask for greater accessibility of legendary armor. In this post you clearly seem to think that we shouldn’t ask for it for the content we play in.

Though i do admit that i have made a mistake – my original message was a response to someone else (AliamRationem), and i haven’t noticed it because you stripped the history while quoting. Not sure why you felt that first statement was addressed to you specifically and responded as if you were the person i was responding to.

Yes. While i do not agree with some of those points, i can respect them (and even live with them). Too bad that at the moment Anet seems to disagree.

On second thought, maybe this is just me thinking like a WoW player. It’s difficult to drop the “risk vs. reward” paradigm. Perhaps it doesn’t matter so much here? You tell me! Would it be okay to provide raid legendary items via a separate path that does not require raiding?

I suppose in that case, the reason to raid is that you can avoid less desirable content and perhaps get the item in less time or at less expense?

I’m still not sure how I feel about that. But given that ANet clearly can’t provide legendary items for everyone, how else can they be fair to all parties?

Astralporing.1957

On second thought, maybe this is just me thinking like a WoW player. It’s difficult to drop the “risk vs. reward” paradigm. Perhaps it doesn’t matter so much here? You tell me! Would it be okay to provide raid legendary items via a separate path that does not require raiding?

I suppose in that case, the reason to raid is that you can avoid less desirable content and perhaps get the item in less time or at less expense?

That’s what i believe. Yes, Raids should surely remain the fastest track towards getting it, but other options should be available. They might be longer. they might be costly, but they should exist.
Especially now, when it’s clear that there will be only one set of Legendary Armor for a looong time.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

youve got a point
that pull from the darkside would kitten me off too
i would make like a fish tho

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

The title of this thread….. lol…. Sounds like another announcement from Anet

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Like many players, I came to GW2 because it was a very casual experience that didn’t require me to spend 10 hours a day playing to compete. I did that for almost 15 years split between WOW/DAoC, I’m tired.

I took breaks because I know coming back I wouldn’t miss much. I’ve even managed to craft quite a few legendaries casually playing the game. Now here we are, I come back after a year, and learn that you’re required to raid to get the stuff necessary to make this (hopefully awesome) armor.

I have a good job, 4 daughters, a wife, and 2 dogs. I don’t have 2-8 hrs a day to dedicate to setting up, forming groups, organizing voice chat, raiding et. I’ve been a solo roamer since beta, I have hardly any friends. And the ones I do have aren’t elitists.

I feel cheated and I miss my original GW2 experience. It worked, the formula was different and very welcomed. It was a wonderful experience and is what made GW2 enjoyable and unique.

Now I’m just kittened that I’m denied access because I can’t go full neckbeard status for pve in a game I was told I wouldn’t have to raid in to get the best gear.

Bleh

There are many reasons why people don’t choose to raid, and raiders I’ve talked to by and large don’t have a problem with the limited access. They don’t consider raids to be a grind and it makes them feel good to have access to exclusive rewards. That seems to be a shift in policy and a compromise to attract more " Hardcore" players to the game on the part of anet. HoT has been a test for them I think to see how far away from their original philosophy they can push, without people pushing back, in an effort
to widen their player demographic.

By restricting gear further to only the hardest of the end game content (only one path to victory), they have completely blocked a percentage of the player base from ever being able to access it. What was nice about legendary weapons is that , though expensive, even casual players could eventually acquire them, if they desired. Simple truth is, for w/e reason, not everyone is into raiding- Personally I hate raiding so I guess I’ll never get legendary armor. Oh well, guess I’ll just have the occasional annoyance of having to deal with 4 sets.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

The title of this thread….. lol…. Sounds like another announcement from Anet

Haha! This made me laugh in a sad sort of way because I think you;re right – future of GW2.

That said, it’s not like it would kill anyone if there were more than 1 way to get legendary armor. GW2 is making enough mistakes these days that they really can’t afford to tie up their apparently tiny staff making content only a fraction of their playerbase is likely to use and/or enjoy.

Bad business decisions are bad.

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

anet are not capable of finishing anything they start,so no ones getting it.

Posted by: Aediph.2873

Aediph.2873

If I find enjoyment in a game, I’ll play it. If I don’t have fun in a game, I simply don’t play it. This is really what it boils down to for me. I can understand the OPs comments about not having enough time, RL can get in the way sometimes. Life goes on and this game is not the center of the world, no video game is. If the devs want to go down this road, that’s their choice, it’s kind of a logical thing. Not all aspects of a game can be fun for some people, can’t expect everyone to enjoy everything a game has to offer. I can’t say I’ll be raiding, I myself am sick of it from my WoW days, but thankfully the core of the game still remains the same. I might be missing out on some “uber” gear, but that’s not why I’m playing this game, not to grind for XP, not to grind for gear, and I’m definitely not treating this like a second job. I’m just here to have fun, nothing more and nothing less.

I’m typing this up while the game updates, gonna fight a few open world bosses around Tyria and then watch a movie and eat some pizza.

Peace.

Posted by: Wildfang.3271

Wildfang.3271

Just wondering, are there other ways to obtain a legendary weapon/fractal skins for PvP/WvW players if they are not keen on doing PvE/Fractals much? Because last I checked, there were no alternative ways to get those as well (You need to do dungeons for tokens to exchange for gifts/map complete 100% for Gift of Exploration/Maguuma). People seemed pretty fine with that in general and never really cared about those 2 groups who would have to go grind in a mode they don’t really enjoy for them. I even remembered a topic about someone asking for fractal weapons PvP reward track but got drowned out by people not liking the idea of having that available to others. Only when it comes to those people being unable to get legendary armor which the current set collection is locked behind raids, they kick up a fuss instead, saying how unfair it is now.

Now if ANET wants to make it fair for people that are crying loudly about being unable to get legendary armor, I daresay that they should be looking into making alternative ways to get legendary weapons/fractal skins for others too.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

“If you hate MMO’s you’ll really want to check out Guild Wars 2”
- Mike O’Brien

An outdated quote. As a business evolves so does its ideology. To survive you must satisfy as wide of a range of players as you can. One way to do this is implementing raids. It doesn’t effect the casual community because they can… oh I don’t know… not raid… While the hardcore community is happy.

Thiers a lot of ideas this games was sold on, and failed to deliver. Now look at the mess its in.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

anet are not capable of finishing anything they start,so no ones getting it.

I wouldn’t be surprised.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Saw the title of this thread and thought

“Well now. You won’t be getting legendary weapons, either.. Ba-ZING!”

I… don’t much else to add to the thread other than that. I just want an effective raid LFG and party system myself.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Well, to be fair, they could cancel this, too, and put even more people on the next expansion! lol

Astralporing.1957

Just wondering, are there other ways to obtain a legendary weapon/fractal skins for PvP/WvW players if they are not keen on doing PvE/Fractals much?

Partially. Legendary weapons/precursors were given out as rewards in different sPvP tournaments, so that one was at least partially true. Additionally, some reward tracks make making legendaries easier and even PvErs are using them (especially dungeon tracks now, that dungeons are dead and getting a pug is much harder). WvW though, as always, got the short end of the stick (which is bad).

Some of the stuff you can get from daily login rewards too (though at a very low rate).

Fractal skins do require doing fractals, but they can be actually bought now. This requires running one fractal level 50 (that doesn’t mean having fractal level 50, you can just join the group of someone that has that level unlocked) and having 20 pristine relics per skin. You can get those running the easymode single digit fractals.
Now, i don’t think that Fractal Reward Track would be unreasonable at all. I’m actually surprised it wasn’t introduced yet.

Because last I checked, there were no alternative ways to get those as well (You need to do dungeons for tokens to exchange for gifts/map complete 100% for Gift of Exploration/Maguuma). People seemed pretty fine with that in general and never really cared about those 2 groups who would have to go grind in a mode they don’t really enjoy for them.

It may have something to do with sPvP/WvW people not making threads about it too often. Still, it does happen, which is why we have pvp reward tracks now.

I even remembered a topic about someone asking for fractal weapons PvP reward track but got drowned out by people not liking the idea of having that available to others. Only when it comes to those people being unable to get legendary armor which the current set collection is locked behind raids, they kick up a fuss instead, saying how unfair it is now.

I’m pretty sure that the people asking for exclusivity then are generally the same people asking for exclusivity now.

Now if ANET wants to make it fair for people that are crying loudly about being unable to get legendary armor, I daresay that they should be looking into making alternative ways to get legendary weapons/fractal skins for others too.

Oh, i fully agree there. They should.

(btw, WvW getting forgotten everywhere is not really a problem with reward distribution, but with Dev stance toward WvW in general)

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Khadez.4958

Khadez.4958

This might be a little off topic but I just wanted to give my 2 cents on some of the things I’ve seen in this thread.

1) Someone said that if legendary armor isn’t exclusive to raids then the reward for raiding won’t be there and people won’t raid anymore. Also, he said that doing it just for the fun of it only works for a couple of runs and then dies off, it becomes a grind.

It does become a grind, you’re right. But adding a carrot to the end of the grind doesn’t make it better. It just fools you into repeating the grindy process over and over and thinking that you are having fun. It seems to me that more and more people get fooled into doing boring mundane stuff just for the reward. It shouldn’t be that way, the design of the game should be so that playing it is fun and the rewards come as a bonus. If people log into your game only because they need to do X Y Z today to make progress towards their reward then you’re doing it wrong. People should log in to have fun. I’m sure many people have looked back at some of their long gaming sessions and thought “why on earth did I sink so much time into this?”.

2) Exclusive raid rewards allow the raiders to stand out and feel accomplished

If you raid to get rewards that allow you to stand out and look successful in a game then you’re doing it wrong. Raids shouldn’t be the place for people to seek success and accomplishment, games in general shouldn’t be that place. That’s the energy you should be spending outside, building a career, finishing your studies, etc. This comes back to the same point I made earlier, games should be played for fun. If its not fun and you’re doing it just for the rewards then its time to take a break and do something else.

3) Casuals just want a reward button

No we don’t want a reward button. What we want is a fun and accessible way to enjoy the content ArenaNet developers create. I don’t want to wrangle with countless elitists in LFG to get a swing at Vale Guardian, only to be then kicked because one of my items was exotic not ascended. Also, the meta gets pretty tight for hard content so you cant even play the class you like. I like Daredevil for example but they aren’t really wanted in raids so I had to create a Herald just to get a foot in the door with raids.

As an extra point, I don’t like that they included new story in the raid wings. Especially that it was story linking back to Gw1. As a veteran Gw1 player I have waited for a story connecting back to Gw1 and now that there is some, its gated behind raids.

All in all, reducing the difficulty accomplishes many important points in my opinion.
It opens the raid experience up to more casual players.
It opens the story up for a wider population.
It reduces the reward of grinding for excessive amounts of time instead of doing something more productive.

From the game’s point of view, super hard content punishes people who put their time to the right place and play games just for some fun and rewards people who sink massive amounts of their time to the game instead of doing something more productive. That just creates more potential neckbeards who built their whole self image on accomplishments made in games which falls apart the moment they step outside. That’s not good for anyone.

Just my 2 cents

Edit: fixed some typos

Edit: I’ll put the reference to the Skinner Box video here. It could prove useful to elaborating on what I meant above.

(edited by Khadez.4958)

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

“Now I’m just kittened that I’m denied access because I can’t go full neckbeard status for pve in a game I was told I wouldn’t have to raid in to get the best gear.”

And right you are, you can still get ascended gear which has the exact same stats. Or do you measure “best” by the color of the item name? Why shouldn’t the ones who spend more time have access to something unique? I will never see it but at least I can steadily work my way towards a legendary weapon. That alone takes a crapload of time, so if you are as busy as you say then that should keep you more than occupied.

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

I think what’s meant is stat swapping out of combat, not running to the forge to change stats and running back. Crafting a stat change isn’t really the same that at all.

But how often do you stat swap your legendary? I have never heard of people stat swapping on a regular basis. You don’t hear of people having one stat for pocket raptors and once out of combat swapping stats to fight smokescales.

Most people here I would assume have a set for open world pve and instanced pve. Legendary armour will just replace one of those or allow you to try something new and I doubt everyone here is a theory crafter when it comes to builds.

RP enthusiast

Vayne.8563

But how often do you stat swap your legendary? I have never heard of people stat swapping on a regular basis. You don’t hear of people having one stat for pocket raptors and once out of combat swapping stats to fight smokescales.

Most people here I would assume have a set for open world pve and instanced pve. Legendary armour will just replace one of those or allow you to try something new and I doubt everyone here is a theory crafter when it comes to builds.

One argument at least would be for lowering your crit in level 41-50 fractals, where I’d rather not crit and give the bad guys boons. Would I want to transform my armor just for that moment, or make a whole new set for 10 fractals I’ll probably never do again,. or just switch stats on everything?

I’m sure I can come up with other examples, like taking a character to PvE and then directly to WvW, nad the back to PvE on the same day. You don’t think it’s inconvenient to change stats in the forge in that circumstance?

Edit: Changing the weapon by itself doesn’t do much, but swapping armor and weapon stats does. I do have 8 legendary weapons.

Sird.4536

One argument at least would be for lowering your crit in level 41-50 fractals, where I’d rather not crit and give the bad guys boons. Would I want to transform my armor just for that moment, or make a whole new set for 10 fractals I’ll probably never do again,. or just switch stats on everything?

I’m sure I can come up with other examples, like taking a character to PvE and then directly to WvW, nad the back to PvE on the same day. You don’t think it’s inconvenient to change stats in the forge in that circumstance?

Edit: Changing the weapon by itself doesn’t do much, but swapping armor and weapon stats does. I do have 8 legendary weapons.

I get you will want to swap for different game modes like PvE and WvW but after 3 years people here don’t have an armour set for that?

As for fractals, who on earth actually stat changes based on the instability. I have never heard of anyone doing that. You have fury, spotter, frost spirit etc. You are just picking bad examples.

RP enthusiast

Vayne.8563

I get you will want to swap for different game modes like PvE and WvW but after 3 years people here don’t have an armour set for that?

As for fractals, who on earth actually stat changes based on the instability. I have never heard of anyone doing that. You have fury, spotter, frost spirit etc. You are just picking bad examples.

I don’t play enough WvW at this time to make it worth making a seperate armor set, using six inventory slots and carrying it around or leaving it my chest. And that’s assuming I only need one set, since I WvW on muliple characters…but not that much.

So the question becomes, how many sets of armor do I need to make. I might even go into WvW more often if I had the ability to swap stats. I’d simply go with a neutral rune, since I’m not a min-maxer.

I very often play for convenience.

Posted by: Absurdo.8309

Absurdo.8309

I don’t play enough WvW at this time to make it worth making a seperate armor set, using six inventory slots and carrying it around or leaving it my chest. And that’s assuming I only need one set, since I WvW on muliple characters…but not that much.

So the question becomes, how many sets of armor do I need to make. I might even go into WvW more often if I had the ability to swap stats. I’d simply go with a neutral rune, since I’m not a min-maxer.

No one honest stat swaps on a regular basis. Your examples are hypothetical.

The reality is that stat swapping is mostly useless since you can’t swap sigils and runes without losing them. You could make 1000 exotic weapons or 20 ascended for the price of one legendary. Most players, myself included, just have multiple sets if we go into multiple game modes.

I have four legendary weapons. I’ve only stat swapped them twice. Once, when I gave my legendary shield to my mesmer when chronomancer came out. Another when I converted my pistol from sinister to viper for my engie. What do I do with my ascended weapons when the meta changes (which happens, at most, once a year)? I mystic forge them, like everyone else.

Stat swapping on legendaries is not a convenient, given the cost. The only real reason people want legendaries is prestige. Beating raids is a prestige event. I don’t see a problem.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I never swap stats, unless it’s a permanent move out of a build that I completely lost interest in. If I need different stats for something, I make a whole new character. I have 9 “general PvE” characters, 1 of each profession, and a lot of characters to fulfil specific roles.

Rebuilding characters is too cumbersome. Too many pieces of equipment that have to be stored, and no quick and elegant way to change builds. Besides, it’s a good excuse to keep making more characters.

So, I don’t really care about legendary armor, which conveniently goes hand in hand with a complete and total disinterest in raids.

Absurdo.8309

This might be a little off topic but I just wanted to give my 2 cents on some of the things I’ve seen in this thread.

1) Someone said that if legendary armor isn’t exclusive to raids then the reward for raiding won’t be there and people won’t raid anymore. Also, he said that doing it just for the fun of it only works for a couple of runs and then dies off, it becomes a grind.

2) Exclusive raid rewards allow the raiders to stand out and feel accomplished

3) Casuals just want a reward button

Regarding 1 – I’m not sure I entirely agree, because I sometimes do raids even when shard and reward capped. But legendary armor does provide an incentive to raid, because, frankly, the liquid gold and rng rewards are terrible.

Regarding 2 – I’m not sure what the problem here is. Other content provides exclusive rewards and allows players to stand out. Pvp legendary. Fractal weapons. Ley line armor. The HOT legendaries.

I’m also not sure what the problem is in aiming towards a reward. Some people like goals, and have fun this way. And if wanting rewards is such a bad thing, then why do “casuals” care about legendaries? Shouldn’t they not care about rewards?

Regarding 3 – Yes, it really seems this way. It’s a legendary. Moreover, it’s just a skin. It took me a year to get my first legendary weapon. It’ll take be 9 months to get the pvp legendary. Why is requiring a bit of effort to get legendary armor such a bad thing?

Astralporing.1957

Regarding 1 – I’m not sure I entirely agree, because I sometimes do raids even when shard and reward capped. But legendary armor does provide an incentive to raid, because, frankly, the liquid gold and rng rewards are terrible.

But that’s due to the liquid gold and rng rewards being terrible. I fully agree that they are, and should be better.

Regarding 2 – I’m not sure what the problem here is. Other content provides exclusive rewards and allows players to stand out. Pvp legendary. Fractal weapons. Ley line armor. The HOT legendaries.

They all require a lot of effort, but aren’t gated beyond anything that’s unreachable for practically anyone. Some might get them faster, others will take longer, some might take much, much longer, but everyone can get them. Not so with raid.

I’m also not sure what the problem is in aiming towards a reward. Some people like goals, and have fun this way. And if wanting rewards is such a bad thing, then why do “casuals” care about legendaries? Shouldn’t they not care about rewards?

Where did you get the idea that casuals do not care about rewards, or long term goals? What is important here however is the way to that goal. It must be something a casual can progress on their own pace.

Regarding 3 – Yes, it really seems this way. It’s a legendary. Moreover, it’s just a skin. It took me a year to get my first legendary weapon. It’ll take be 9 months to get the pvp legendary. Why is requiring a bit of effort to get legendary armor such a bad thing?

I have no problem in legendary armor taking a year to get. Assuming i can walk the road at all. Raids are by design a road that majority of the player population are not expected to be able to advance on. That is a problem.

Actions, not words.

Absurdo.8309

But that’s due to the liquid gold and rng rewards being terrible. I fully agree that they are, and should be better.

They all require a lot of effort, but aren’t gated beyond anything that’s unreachable for practically anyone. Some might get them faster, others will take longer, some might take much, much longer, but everyone can get them. Not so with raid.

Where did you get the idea that casuals do not care about rewards, or long term goals? What is important here however is the way to that goal. It must be something a casual can progress on their own pace.

I have no problem in legendary armor taking a year to get. Assuming i can walk the road at all. Raids are by design a road that majority of the player population are not expected to be able to advance on. That is a problem.

I may have phrased my response to 2 poorly – I was addressing the argument that only raiding for a legendary was somehow bad. I don’t think so, and I think we agree on this point.

I know we disagree on whether raids are beatable by any player. When we’re talking over year time frames, I think they are. I know the typical response is “I can’t commit to large chunks of time,” but, well, I don’t buy it. Surely you can find hour chunks of playtime over a year. And other parts of the game, like dragon stand require long periods of time (although, granted, you can afk).

And if it’s actually true you can’t find 1-hour periods to play over a year, then maybe you don’t deserve a legendary. I know this is a value judgment, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable.

Vayne.8563

The reality is that stat swapping is mostly useless since you can’t swap sigils and runes without losing them. You could make 1000 exotic weapons or 20 ascended for the price of one legendary. Most players, myself included, just have multiple sets if we go into multiple game modes.

I have four legendary weapons. I’ve only stat swapped them twice. Once, when I gave my legendary shield to my mesmer when chronomancer came out. Another when I converted my pistol from sinister to viper for my engie. What do I do with my ascended weapons when the meta changes (which happens, at most, once a year)? I mystic forge them, like everyone else.

Stat swapping on legendaries is not a convenient, given the cost. The only real reason people want legendaries is prestige. Beating raids is a prestige event. I don’t see a problem.

Of course no one stat swaps regularly…it’s not in the game except in legendary weapons and just swapping your weapon is pointless.

That doesn’t mean that people won’t swap stats though.

As for most people having multiple sets of armor to do stuff…citation please? I’m not sure most people know the difference between builds or EVER change them. But this conversation has nothing to do with most people. Because I don’t believe most people carry around multiple sets of armor either. Nor do I believe that most people are min-maxers.

But in this instance, I’m talking about what I would do. Unless you know me better than I do, I’m not there’s much room for conversation here.

Sird.4536

Of course no one stat swaps regularly…it’s not in the game except in legendary weapons and just swapping your weapon is pointless.

That doesn’t mean that people won’t swap stats though.

As for most people having multiple sets of armor to do stuff…citation please? I’m not sure most people know the difference between builds or EVER change them. But this conversation has nothing to do with most people. Because I don’t believe most people carry around multiple sets of armor either. Nor do I believe that most people are min-maxers.

But in this instance, I’m talking about what I would do. Unless you know me better than I do, I’m not there’s much room for conversation here.

Have you ever been in a big guild or are you one of those casuals that doesn’t have time to get ascended armour because you play 1 hour a day?

Everyone that I have played with and know have multiple armour sets and weapons. Ascended chest drop quite often in fotm and there is no shortage of LFG for those. If you are new to the game them sure one set is most you can manage but for someone who has been here for at least 2 years you should have had chances of getting multiple sets.

RP enthusiast

Nokaru.7831

I find that it’s more useful to have multiple sets of Ascended armor on different characters rather than several sets on just one. In the current balance of for PvE, the most I’d do with Legendary armor on a class like Guardian or Elementalist is slightly adjust the stats between Berserker and Assassin attributes depending on whether or not I have a Drud in my group. (for Spotter) I can’t change my Scholar Runes out easily, so the set is going to keep fulfilling the same role for direct damage either way.

It might be more useful for a class like Chronomancer to adjust the amount of toughness you have between raids for tanking. There just simply aren’t many opportunities to make full use out of this system though, not without templates and the ability to change our runes easily and cheaply.

(edited by Nokaru.7831)