WvW Updates - I Is Disappoint

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Yes it is better than nothing, but this was promised 2 years ago.

We’ve asked for new maps for SO long, and we only get 1; so that’s 2 maps on a rotation…

Still too little too late, but at least we have some sort of GvG now as well, these 2 will hopefully get quiet a few players back in the game, at least for a while.

Please add more maps asap, we cannot wait another 2.5 years!

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

OK a question, will we have to buy the expansion to play on the new WvW map???

You have alienated too many players over the last 2 years, if so then less players will come back to the game…

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

What was promised 2 years ago? As far as I am aware they have never really said anything at all about new maps.

You are also ignoring the fact that they said there would be some major changes overall to WvW and more importance being put into defending, something that have been requested for a long time.

As for your second post it is rather unlikely that they would lock people out of WvW if they did not buy the expansion.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

I wouldnt put it past them seeing the treatment we have received in the past

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

the game came out August 2012. So from before launch you were waiting for a new WvW map? Stop exagerrating.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Asking for a new map in WvW is like asking for a bandaid when you’ve got the flu.

A new map will hopefully mix things up, but only if it cures the real problem with WvW. WvW gets boring because the meta gets stagnant. People fall into set tactics and expectations of their enemies, and in tier 1 you face off vs. the same unsurprising servers each week.

What the new map needs to do is keep the meta in a constant state of flux so people don’t stagnate and instead keep trying different approaches to dominating the week.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

You have alienated too many players over the last 2 years, if so then less players will come back to the game…

We don’t know, but I think it is safe to assume you need the expansion to be able to enter the new WvW map. After all, Anet will want to dip into the WvW players’ pockets, too.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Jokubas.4265

Jokubas.4265

Actually, I’d say it’s safe to say you won’t need the expansion for the WvW map. Could you imagine that? Sorry, you can’t play during this rotation, when it was totally free before. That’s bad business.

I’ll eat my hat if I’m wrong, but I’d imagine this is going to be like how WoW handles expansions. Most of it comes in an expansion patch that upgrades the game for everyone, and only the new progression stuff is gated by the box (level cap, new areas, etc. for WoW). Revenant and Specializations might be locked out, along with Maguuma, but I’d be very surprised if they required you to buy it for quality of life upgrades. That would be horrible business.

As for WvW, maps were never my problem with it. That’s a nice bonus, but it’s really just the mechanics. An interview mentioned how people felt the offensive rewards were better, so people focused on that. For me, it’s not just that they were better, it’s that I’d get literally nothing from defense. The number of times the game would simply not give me credit for doing a defense objective caused me to pretty much give up on them.

(edited by Jokubas.4265)

Tom Gore.4035

Actually, I’d say it’s safe to say you won’t need the expansion for the WvW map. Could you imagine that? Sorry, you can’t play during this rotation, when it was totally free before. That’s bad business.

I’ll eat my hat if I’m wrong, but I’d imagine this is going to be like how WoW handles expansions. Most of it comes in an expansion patch that upgrades the game for everyone, and only the new progression stuff is gated by the box (level cap, new areas, etc. for WoW). Revenant and Specializations might be locked out, along with Maguuma, but I’d be very surprised if they required you to buy it for quality of life upgrades. That would be horrible business.

We don’t know if the new WvW map will replace any of the existing maps. It could very well be an additional map on top of the four we have currently. In that scenario, I could totally see blocking people out of that particular map.

Actually I don’t see a way it actually could replace any of the current BL maps, because from what I understand the new map will not favor any one faction, so it is not a “home” borderland for anyone.

I could be totally wrong, of course. I agree that if it is indeed a “home borderland” and will replace one of the BL maps it needs to be free for all. Kind of hope it will be like that, because otherwise we will see WvW poulation splitting over yet another map, which we really do not need, even if it is certain that in the beginning there will be an absolute flood of players coming (back) to WvW.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: MrTJpwnz.4710

MrTJpwnz.4710

I’ll eat my hat if I’m wrong, but I’d imagine this is going to be like how WoW handles expansions.

Frist stop comparing GW2 to WoW as it are two complete different games with different policies from the developing company’s.

Second I think you can eat your hat (I have some salt and pepper for you if like) because it’s mentioned at the announcement for an XPAC. Why announce something at the announcement for an XPAC if it’s not going to be in the XPAC? Exactly there is no reason to do that so they also won’t do that… With other words I think it will be: New WvW map == buy HoT. I don’t really looked into the rotation section yet (also don’t know if there is any info at all on that as well) so I don’t know how it will work ,if you are just not able to play WvW at all or able to join on EB or something like that..

just be patient for more info about all the stuff in WvW…

Posted by: Pikka.6023

Pikka.6023

The guilds and players that are most attracted to the new GvG format are likely a lot of those that are currently the most organized small-medium WvW guilds. WvW participation is likely to take quite a dip, except for the initial interest in the new map.

WvW already suffers, at all tiers, from much too low participation at many hours of the day to split among four maps. The second way it suffers is stagnant game play since every scenario is basically the same: knock down a wall/gate and win the lord fight.

The only way the new WvW map brings more people into WvW is if it has a variety of objectives solos and small parties can do ad hoc. That brings casual players into the game and gives them a window into the learning curve of other WvW aspects. I’d be happy to discard the current borderlands entirely, leave EB essentially as it is, and let the new map have a completely different flavor with a couple places for massive scale conflict, and lots of side objectives that assist the bigger ones, or stand on their own. The hold, upgrade, siege model is too tedious for most people, and requires a ton of groundwork by players just to set up a good fight once in a blue moon.

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

the game came out August 2012. So from before launch you were waiting for a new WvW map? Stop exagerrating.

It’s 2015 now, the game will be 3 years old this year…

I love the new map and the ideas behind it, if they edit the original borderland map slightly to give boons etc for holding keeps and towers then that would be great in a rotation.

Speaking of rotation, they have stated that the map will be implemented into the borderland rotation, meaning that every week or two the borderland map will change from the old one to the new map and vice versa. This makes it inevitable that the map itself will be free for all players as they’re trying not to break WvW and making an effort to make it fun again.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

ArenaNet did say you will be able to continue to play the game with only the base game, and that does include WvW. It wouldn’t make too much sense to limit the new Borderlands to owners of HoT only, as it would cut the already dwindling WvW community smaller.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

We don’t know, but I think it is safe to assume you need the expansion to be able to enter the new WvW map. After all, Anet will want to dip into the WvW players’ pockets, too.

Lol this will ruin any balance there currently is… imagine a WvW map that you can’t even defend because there are more people who bought the expansion on another server… totally OP.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Tom Gore.4035

Lol this will ruin any balance there currently is… imagine a WvW map that you can’t even defend because there are more people who bought the expansion on another server… totally OP.

You seriously think there will be a big relative difference between servers in the ratio of “bought/non-bought”?

In addition, if all the players of one server are on that map, what prevents you from capping all their stuff on the other maps?

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

You seriously think there will be a big relative difference between servers in the ratio of “bought/non-bought”?

No, that was a joke. :P

What I do think though: existing population differences will result in extra problems for getting enough people on all maps with a new map added. In some servers it’s barely possible to man all different maps at the same time (in FoW I have literally been alone on maps, not during prime but still at regular EU times).

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

psizone.8437

In addition, if all the players of one server are on that map, what prevents you from capping all their stuff on the other maps?

If only one server has the map unlocked then 1-3 people can cap the map with no effort. Leaving the main zerg and others on the other maps. Can you not imagine the PPT loss you’d have by only being able to cap EB? (Thought I’d edit in that this was an extreme example and you’d only have a small portion that couldn’t play it in reality I’d imagine)

We can’t assume that everyone will pick up the expansion pack, leaving half of a game mode locked to those who don’t buy it is an impossibility.

Tom Gore.4035

No, that was a joke. :P

What I do think though: existing population differences will result in extra problems for getting enough people on all maps with a new map added. In some servers it’s barely possible to man all different maps at the same time (in FoW I have literally been alone on maps, not during prime but still at regular EU times).

On that I do agree. WvW pop is spread out too thin as it is. Undoubtedly that will be fixed for a short while after the expansion launches with the surge of new and returning players, but eventually we will face the same problem and this time it will be even worse if there are 4 borderlands instead of 3.

Solutions are there, of course. Merging servers is one, reducing the pop cap of the maps is another.

One – Piken Square

psizone.8437

but eventually we will face the same problem and this time it will be even worse if there are 4 borderlands instead of 3.

Solutions are there, of course. Merging servers is one, reducing the pop cap of the maps is another.

It’s not an additional borderland, it’s replacing the original 3 borderlands every week or two as a rotation.

Tom Gore.4035

If only one server has the map unlocked then 1-3 people can cap the map with no effort. Leaving the main zerg and others on the other maps. Can you not imagine the PPT loss you’d have by only being able to cap EB?

We can’t assume that everyone will pick up the expansion pack, leaving half of a game mode locked to those who don’t buy it is an impossibility.

Are you seriously saying that the other server doesn’t have even 1-3 players who have the expansion bought? If that would be the case I think the state of WvW would be our least problem.

The fact is when the expansion launches there will be a queue on all servers (at least for T5 and up) to the new map. How long, depends on how interesting the map is and how important it is in relation to the other borderlands and EB.

One – Piken Square

Tom Gore.4035

but eventually we will face the same problem and this time it will be even worse if there are 4 borderlands instead of 3.

It’s not an additional borderland, it’s replacing the original 3 borderlands every week or two as a rotation.

Ah! I didn’t even think about that. Yes, that could be it. So it would not replace one borderland, it would replace all three.

Ok then the next question is if it will be “balanced” like EB or will it have a clear “home” faction with an inherent advantage.

If it is balanced, will we have 3 instances of it (would be boring) or just one, which would lead into having a long queue to both it and EB.

If it favors one faction, then there will of course be 3 instances of it like the original BLs.

Darn. Now I’m looking forward to them explaining this to us even more.

And yeah if it replaces all three it has to be free for all, expansion or not.

One – Piken Square

psizone.8437

Are you seriously saying that the other server doesn’t have even 1-3 players who have the expansion bought? If that would be the case I think the state of WvW would be our least problem.

The fact is when the expansion launches there will be a queue on all servers (at least for T5 and up) to the new map. How long, depends on how interesting the map is and how important it is in relation to the other borderlands and EB.

Yeah, I edited my post just after submitting it to clarify that I made that point as an extreme example. I meant it as “imagine if a whole server didn’t have the expansion for some reason, they’d be in trouble” but in reality it would be a small number of players that couldn’t play their favourite game mode because they couldn’t buy the expansion for whatever reason.

psizone.8437

Ok then the next question is if it will be “balanced” like EB or will it have a clear “home” faction with an inherent advantage.

If it is balanced, will we have 3 instances of it (would be boring) or just one, which would lead into having a long queue to both it and EB.

If it favors one faction, then there will of course be 3 instances of it like the original BLs.

Yeah, in the trailer they said it’d be in the new borderland rotation implying it would be 3 instances of the map as it is now, otherwise they’d need to rework the PPT system.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was arguing with you because I assumed you saw the rotation part in the trailer and didn’t understand why you’d think it would be locked to only paying players, I watched it a few dozen times so I was a it presumptuous, my bad!

Posted by: MrTJpwnz.4710

MrTJpwnz.4710

Yeah, in the trailer they said it’d be in the new borderland rotation implying it would be 3 instances of the map as it is now, otherwise they’d need to rework the PPT system.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was arguing with you because I assumed you saw the rotation part in the trailer and didn’t understand why you’d think it would be locked to only paying players, I watched it a few dozen times so I was a it presumptuous, my bad!

maybe it’s one very big map?

Tom Gore.4035

I think it’s safe to say a rework to the PPT system is coming anyway, as Anet said they wanted to emphasize the importance of holding objectives over just capping and losing them. Can’t see that happening without some changes to the PPT system.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Noah.9654

Noah.9654

You are not entitled to anything other than the $60 worth of gameplay that you bought (which is about half of your personal story imho). If you’re unhappy with the amount of gameplay, don’t buy the expac or don’t play the game :V

Developers can’t just “add more maps asap”….that isn’t how the company works.

“Exceed your limits, and dance.”

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

You are not entitled to anything other than the $60 worth of gameplay that you bought (which is about half of your personal story imho). If you’re unhappy with the amount of gameplay, don’t buy the expac or don’t play the game :V

He’s entitled to that content, actually. It comes with the $60.

As for adding more maps, it’s the cheapest and easiest way to revitalize WvW. Especially since they’re doing it on rotation so people can’t get their fill in two weeks and leave. Adding more maps would lead to periodic surges of interest and a healthier overall playerbase and better experience.

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

lmao noah, 2 years is no asap!

WvW is mass PvP, what other PvP game, apart from MOBAs has just one PvP map without a new one for almost 3 years?!

Even MOBA have redesigned maps. Even when GW2 was released Devon said they were looking at more maps and rotation for WvW, imo WvW should have been released with 3 maps and the rotation system in place at launch! Not doing so and fobbing players off has cost WvW dearly in WvW players.

@Nate, yes you are right, it’s actually been 2 and a half years! Thank you for pointing out that I was underestimating the time we have been waiting. I apologise if this caused any confusion for other readers or if I misled you by quoting a lower figure.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Still waiting to find out what was promised 2 years ago…

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Still waiting to find out what was promised 2 years ago…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/DevonCarver-5370

Read his posts from last year! I’ve posted about them dozens of times, so if you are too lazy to read them yourself, it’s your problem if you havent kept up with the WvW forums for the last 2.5 years!

Also look at the previous WvW CDIs.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

No specific posts then?

The burden of proof lies with you, not us.

I am also rather sure that they have never promised new maps. Especially not 2,5 years ago (and since then we actually had a new map).

It is also funny that you talk about nothing for 2,5 years and yet your supposed source is to look at posts from last year, as in, 1 year ago or less, not 2,5 years.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

If you make the assertion, it’s up to you to present the proof.

But since I have kept up with the forums, I know that you’re full of kittens.

which is why you’re keeping it vague and why you won’t make any kind of response that includes factual information that backs your statement up.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Biggest problem for WvW are the mechanics. They said they are looking at the core mechanics for WvW. That will be the true deciding factor. Keeping towers/camps..scouting etc.

A new map added to the main borderlands (not EoTM) is kinda huge from a balance pov.

Posted by: Noah.9654

Noah.9654

He’s entitled to that content, actually. It comes with the $60.

As for adding more maps, it’s the cheapest and easiest way to revitalize WvW. Especially since they’re doing it on rotation so people can’t get their fill in two weeks and leave. Adding more maps would lead to periodic surges of interest and a healthier overall playerbase and better experience.

I don’t think you quite understand what the retail value means. You pay money for items that are of equal value of what you pay. If you spend $60 of your earned cash, you get $60 of the merchants’ work, resources, and time. Period. Full stop. ANet extends this by giving us way more content than what $60 is worth for free! Their customer support is essentially free as it isn’t in the $60 value (which might be why customer support can be slow at times), Living Story was about $40 worth of content for free if you logged on in time, and all of their updates are pretty much free as well. Promise or not, we are not entitled to any more free content. Should we get the content, of course! Do I want more WvW content, heck yes! But I don’t have the right to complain that I’m not getting something asap for free. That isn’t how life works lol.

Luckily\hopefully, we’ll be getting more WvW content that we don’t know about with the expansion—something we’re paying for. If ANet doesn’t meet customer expectations after the expac, then we might have liberty to complain.

“Exceed your limits, and dance.”