YouTube journalists need to cover this

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Alexxander.8306

Alexxander.8306

Anets recent activities need to be brought into the general discourse by these prominent YouTubers. Issues like the FAQ scandal are exactly what is wrong with the industry these days, and should always be pointed out as soon as they occur.

This whole fiasco needs to be brought to PC reviewers such as TotalBiscuit. This is truly a problem that journalists will cover as it ranges from unfair, to greasy, to possibly illegal. If lets all tweet major YouTubers and get this story covered.

I will tweet/msg and I hope others do as well. Remember, this isn’t the first time Anet tested the waters of legal action. That whole glitch back when where they had a merchant selling some item for cheap karma? They banned users then changed their mind once lawyers started to salivate.

Btw, since it usually works.

Jim Sterling Jim Sterling Jim Sterling

Posted by: Soyaman.7096

Soyaman.7096

I mean.. Really this is just an overpriced game, nothing more nothing less.

Totalbiscuit covered games like Dungeons 2 (Or was it Jim Sterling?) Saying “It was alright, but rather expensive” (Not actual quote)
The game itself is 45 euro (60 dollar?)

I know this is an expansion and not the same thing – While I agree the pricing is a bit over the top it’s not like it’s anything worth covering.
Not to mention we’re on top of E3.

Posted by: olTThreelo.6710

olTThreelo.6710

I’m pretty sure Angry Joe will have something to say about this, but give them time, most of them are covering E3.

Alexxander.8306

Totalbiscuit covered games like Dungeons 2 (Or was it Jim Sterling?) Saying “It was alright, but rather expensive” (Not actual quote)

I know this is an expansion and not the same thing – While I agree the pricing is a bit over the top it’s not like it’s anything worth covering.

Their FAQ ninja-delete is false advertising, deal with it.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Their FAQ ninja-delete is false advertising, deal with it.

I’m pretty sure legally you can’t advise that you need to buy a product in order for the newer product to work. The later after people purchase the product go in and change the advertising to state otherwise .

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

Most of these youtube ‘celebs’ sound like they’re reading A.net scripts regarding this stuff. Usually could care less about those peeps but it was pretty sick to hear.

Posted by: XeoShock.7094

XeoShock.7094

I’m pretty sure Angry Joe will have something to say about this, but give them time, most of them are covering E3.

I can’t wait for that moment, if it does happen, it will be legendary.

FAQs…

Lest We Forget

Alexxander.8306

I can’t wait for that moment, if it does happen, it will be legendary.

I want Sterling and TotalBiscuit on this one. Oh man… that no BS voice that TB has is perfect for Anets latest scandal. Hes seriously the Larry King of gaming journalists.

Posted by: Tironas.7053

Tironas.7053

Look i’m unhappy with the price but I don’t think we need to take up pitchforks on the internet. Quite frankly if I saw another game do this and there was some news about it I would not care in the slightest.

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

This is actually a good example of non-transparency within the games industry.
I wouldn’t mind seeing some GamerGate backlash, myself.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Alexxander.8306

Look i’m unhappy with the price but I don’t think we need to take up pitchforks on the internet. Quite frankly if I saw another game do this and there was some news about it I would not care in the slightest.

Is there a part about false advertisment u guys are not getting?
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/False+Advertising

Posted by: Catseye.3164

Catseye.3164

You still need the base game to play. That didn’t change. They are just giving it free if you prepurchase.

Alexxander.8306

You still need the base game to play. That didn’t change. They are just giving it free if you prepurchase.

They didnt mention that on the FAQ they altered. I think a court would see it this way as well, omitting temporal details to deceive a customer is still false advertising afaik.

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

They didnt mention that on the FAQ they altered. I think a court would see it this way as well, omitting temporal details to deceive a customer is still false advertising afaik.

starts cackling wildly~

Alexxander.8306

Most of these youtube ‘celebs’ sound like they’re reading A.net scripts regarding this stuff. Usually could care less about those peeps but it was pretty sick to hear.

Plus its pretty hard to take someone seriously when they start with “I have no contractual abligation to praise anet….even after they agreed to sponsor my vids, and FLY me to so and so” —https://youtu.be/edSCWmsZyjI--

Daaaaang, i’ve been kissing the wrong asx ever since GW1

If they are “celebs” that specialize in GW2 then yea I wouldn’t trust em, I only go for top quality journalists. MMO-niche journalism has a “reputation”.

This I love, the real, raw, relatable stuff. Not the mildly controversial, stuff that sinks your heart but makes you cackle wildly soon after.

Thats why I like TB, he also does commentating on some of the best SC2 matches and other tournament-stuff.

Posted by: Catseye.3164

Catseye.3164

Most stores don’t warn you of a sale. I just get a flyer in the Sunday paper, same day it starts. They did say they’d help people out who just bought it.

Alexxander.8306

Most stores don’t warn you of a sale. I just get a flyer in the Sunday paper, same day it starts. They did say they’d help people out who just bought it.

But they told people that it was needed during a sale, and did not qualify it with a warning or disclaimer that it would be a stand alone at any point, thereby deceiving consumers. This isn’t like buying something full price before a sale, its like being told “you need this to play this” but then deleting the evidence they said it then changing the policy to “temporarily dont need this to play this”.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

I think you are totally missing the point .

Go and read this

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Did-you-really-edit-your-FAQ-s/first

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

It should be interesting to say the least, Anet went for the money grab, I say let the journalists go for the money grab at Anets expense. I’m going to go ahead and predict Anet is not happy about it.

Posted by: nSan.4251

nSan.4251

Even though TB makes a vid on an MMO every now and then, he hates MMOs in general. You’d have better luck seeing Angry Joe making a Twitch or vid about one. Sterling, highly doubt it. There are other vids made by GW2 players already popping up.
https://youtu.be/aUtMGS3ezLI

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

I think the lack of attention for the Infinite Continue Coin (which people paid money for and has been useless, without refunds, for more than a year and a half) bodes poorly for this.

The price is reasonable, and unless you’re actually part of the loyal fan base and had all of the little stuff build up (piles of Queen Jennahs, Frac leaderboard, content droughts, NPE, trait debacle, lack of communication etc.) then I’m not even sure the lack of a character slot will get attention.

This is a slap in the face of long time players, but if the ICC wasn’t (which is horse armour territory), I don’t think this is gonna be news.

Alexxander.8306

I think the lack of attention for the Infinite Continue Coin (which people paid money for and has been useless, without refunds, for more than a year and a half) bodes poorly for this.

The price is reasonable, and unless you’re actually part of the loyal fan base and had all of the little stuff build up (piles of Queen Jennahs, Frac leaderboard, content droughts, NPE, trait debacle, lack of communication etc.) then I’m not even sure the lack of a character slot will get attention.

This is a slap in the face of long time players, but if the ICC wasn’t (which is horse armour territory), I don’t think this is gonna be news.

Fraud is always news. The ICC is so specific to GW2 I wouldnt be able to explain it to someone that doesn’t play. Bait and switch is a timeless maneuver though. Anet went oldschool.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Fraud is always news. The ICC is so specific to GW2 I wouldnt be able to explain it to someone that doesn’t play. Bait and switch is a timeless maneuver though. Anet went oldschool.

Really? “ANet sold unlimited access to repeated content, and then never (for over a year and a half and counting at least) repeated that content.”

It’s not difficult, and IMO is far more newsworthy than the current debacle. Much of a rip off as the packages are, at least customers know what they’re getting (unless they turn the Revenant class off altogether for a couple of years).

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Oh god, the e-lawyers are on the march, guys!

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Really? “ANet sold unlimited access to repeated content, and then never (for over a year and a half and counting at least) repeated that content.”

It’s not difficult, and IMO is far more newsworthy than the current debacle. Much of a rip off as the packages are, at least customers know what they’re getting (unless they turn the Revenant class off altogether for a couple of years).

Really ? Please enlighten the rest of us as to what we are actually getting because that seems to be a pretty big question at this point in time.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

https://youtu.be/aUtMGS3ezLI Here’s Wooden Potato’s take.

I wouldn’t expect Bog Otter/Aurora Peachy/MMoinks/Mattvisual to cover it; they’re getting kickbacks if you order through their links, after all.

Hope to be proven wrong.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

Intent???

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

You are a delusional paranoia entitled gamer.

“They banned users then changed their mind once lawyers started to salivate.”

Like wtf, hahahaha….

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

https://youtu.be/aUtMGS3ezLI Here’s Wooden Potato’s take.

I wouldn’t expect Bog Otter/Aurora Peachy/MMoinks/Mattvisual to cover it; they’re getting kickbacks if you order through their links, after all.

So is WP. WP has been supported by ANet for years.

WP is looking at it from a pricing perspective, rather than all this absurd rage over newbies getting the core game for free. His take is that they’re asking a l;ittle much in terms of price when we have so few details of what’s actually going to be in the expansion at this point in time, which I can agree with (Still bought anyway, but that’s me)

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

WP actually has a very objective opinion and reasons in that video.

Posted by: Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

WP is no better than Streamarketers, the better the game sales, the better for him. He is biased.

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

That WP video was insulting, didnt really care for him before but now I outright dislike him. Friend said the APeachy vid was the same all ‘come on guys, buy it, click my link’.

Posted by: savageschemer.1036

savageschemer.1036

Totalbiscuit would simply say that he’s been telling us all for years now to stop the pre-order nonsense. He’d be totally right.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

WP is no better than Streamarketers, the better the game sales, the better for him. He is biased.

Oh so that’s why he called HoT overpriced at the moment and told everyone to wait for more info before buying it.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

If you watched the whole video from WP you would see that he is actually critical about Anet’s policy regarding all this fiasco. I don’t know where all the “he’s biased” comes from.
All he said was he is a major GW nerd and he would buy the expansion no matter the price, but the rest of the players should wait until more details about the expansion are revealed.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

WP did some good coverage of this, but we need to get the word out to game journalists that cover more than just GW2. Someone like TotalBiscuit or AngryJoe would help a lot, because this is quite shady, and I don’t like it. Negative publicity is what this needs to bring the price down. The customers deserve better.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Soyaman.7096

Soyaman.7096

Editing an FAQ is not false advertisement.
It’s also always stated that everything might change during development.

I’m as mad about the pricing as everyone else but you guys are just nit picking things right now.

It’s not false advertisement, it’s not illegal, it’s in their full right, it’s a little bit scummy and slightly disappointing. But people are not being entitled either.

All it is.. Is an overpriced game.
Wait for a sale.
Don’t pre-purchase, especially when you haven’t even got all the information about what you’re getting.

If they don’t sell enough copies they’ll likely lower the price so that more people may pick it up.

Posted by: Chista.4750

Chista.4750

WP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUtMGS3ezLI
BO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edSCWmsZyjI
DT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQDr6eoA-M
MM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B1LhVBNFyE
EO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw4XDuM4n38
Jebro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UkDFUXqXZo
XKrieg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjAKaYIc0pI

No big multigame critics just yet, but the longer this lasts the bigger the chance that those will cover it, which would be some massively bad PR for ANet =(

(edited by Chista.4750)

Posted by: CynicalFred.9135

CynicalFred.9135

What the hell actually happened?

Am i to understand that the xpac is now including the base game on purchase and people are actually mad about this?
lolwut….. That’s absurd, people are being given things for free and they’re mad? They changed their mind, they’re allowed to do that and if they deleted something in the FAQ that said otherwise (i know this might be a hard concept to understand but bare with me) maybe they did it so people wouldn’t go to the FAQ (you know for facts and questions) and get information that was no longer accurate.

Somebody please tell me if i’m missing something, but from where i sit it’s just something changed and people got mad about it. It’s not like this is the first time in the history of an MMO that something you paid for goes free or reduces in cost for the sake of new content and it sure won’t be the last time.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Well you don’t understand why people are mad, which is why you wouldn’t make a good marketer, and I guess it’s something ANet has a shortage of :p

The issues are varied really, some people don’t want to preorder cause the item we buy is actually rather unspecified. Others complain because they feel (customer feeling is important you know!) ANet is stealing money from them.

That’s right, although many won’t exactly explain it in this term, the feeling is such. See, you have this account with GW2 you purchased years ago and play and play and play. Right now, this account has a lot of value to you. Quite a lot if fact. From a purely monetary standing point, at the strict minimum it’s worth the price of a new game right now (which is lower than you paid originally). From a more emotional point, the chars in it, all the items you farm, all the things you did also have some unspecified and sometimes big value.

How is ANet stealing money from them? By declaring that the game is not worthless. That’s right, ANet made a statement which is : Core GW2 has a value of $0 now. So the purely monetary value of our account just dropped, a lot => cue the feeling that ANet is stealing money from us.

As for the emotional value, they aren’t stealing it, it’s even worse : they are holding it hostage ! Many people thing that without buying the expansion, it’s kind of over for their account. It isn’t exactly false since you’ll miss on all the fun your friends have, you might never get any new piece of content, you might not have access to the new meta sPvP/PvE classes etc… This is a hostage situation which breeds ill will towards ANet. Same kind of “hostage” situation if you buy the base HoT, and now notice you need to pay MORE just to use one of the features you desire : the Revenant class.

This was the explanation on why some people are angry. It’s a kind of human behavior that marketing and sales and the like should know about, predict and act accordingly you know. It’s their job after all.

ANet stealing us the value of the core game? Have them replace it with something, anything that will have some other value in it’s place.

Posted by: CynicalFred.9135

CynicalFred.9135

Well it is worthless as of right now, the emotional value is completely separate form the monetary value which is in fact 0$. (because you can’t profit off of the account, if something holds no profit then the monetary value is 0$)

Secondly, they’re making it easier for new players to get in, and as for the people who have, as you said, been around since launch and played all that time… maybe they ought to consider how much free content they’ve gotten without any mention of payment or anything like that, and maybe look at the few extra dollars as a tip, if you will, for all the time and energy they’ve put into their game without asking for a thing.

The only realistic thing i can think of to be mad about is having bought the base game in preparation for HoT and then this happening, if it were up to me i’d see if there might be a way to refund those people or perhaps give them a credit, though i suspect most of them that did buy did so on that 10$ sale so it may not even be worth refunding to a lot of people.

If you really don’t want to buy though, the game still functions, you’re not being held hostage because the same things (more or less) that are in game now will still be there for you if you don’t buy the expansion. While i understand that this whole argument is based upon players and how they feel, i might suggest that the players grow the hell up. I’m not saying this is a good move on the part of Anet, but i’m kinda shocked at how much rage has sprung up so quickly when players learn somebody else is getting something for less than they are.

Posted by: sharkswithlazers.7632

sharkswithlazers.7632

I hope this post is a joke. I mean, I’m sorry if your subscriptionless game costs the same as other games? oh wait let me try again. It’s not like World of Warcraft ever gave away the core game for free with a purchase of an expansion!?! oh wait… hmm

Posted by: sharkswithlazers.7632

sharkswithlazers.7632

I got it, I’m sorry that you had to buy an expansion to a game that a company has since put on sale and then later added it as a free item 3 years after its release with the purchase of said expansion. I’m sure your 50 dollars you put down will cost you at least 10 years of hard labor to earn. I mean, sure, you would have spent 50 dollars in about 3 months with other games’ subscription fees. And I mean, yeah, the game is giving most of its expansion free of charge. And maybe they’ve updated this game continually giving free content after free content. But kitten it, you deserve everything free. Don’t rest until you find a journalist willing to bring such a corruption as a paid expansion to the light!

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

If you don’t like it, then don’t buy it. I want you to understand what a non-threat you, and your ineffective little rage-crusade is: You’re on the forums paid for and maintained by ArenaNet, acting like they’re covering up some scandal. If you were actually “on to something” of significance, they wouldn’t let you do this.

I would advise that in the future that you try thinking a bit before putting to words your incoherent, nonsensical stream of consciousness. However, I know that this advice will be completely lost to the likes of you since you’re blinded by all the red you’re seeing.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

MagicalMike’s video seems alright, seems to be reasonable enough, even if we don’t agree of everything.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

I agree it has become a fiasco. Changing the FAQ page was pretty low. It serves as a clear indicator that not everyone at Anet is on the same page, or they cannot follow a plan for too long without radically changing course.

This has been Anet’s MO from the moment GW2 launched, however. One course change after another. One release proceeded by backpeddaling. It’s no small miracle we’re even going to have an expansion.

IMO this has a lot to do with the lack of communication between developer and playerbase. The only real news we get is from official announcements when the product is nearing completion. Had Anet floated the purchase options around (on a Reddit AMA for example) beforehand they could have received critical feedback before going live. It’s frustrating for both sides.

(edited by Vix.6730)

Nokaru.7831

IMO this has a lot to do with the lack of communication between developer and playerbase.

This garbage again? Are you able to cover your eyes with your fingers plugged into your ears, or are you just living under a rock? There’s been nothing but an overwhelming avalanche communication and updates coming from ArenaNet. You guys just didn’t like what you heard.

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

If you don’t like it, then don’t buy it. I want you to understand what a non-threat you, and your ineffective little rage-crusade is: You’re on the forums paid for and maintained by ArenaNet, acting like they’re covering up some scandal. If you were actually “on to something” of significance, they wouldn’t let you do this.

I would advise that in the future that you try thinking a bit before putting to words your incoherent, nonsensical stream of consciousness. However, I know that this advice will be completely lost to the likes of you since you’re blinded by all the red you’re seeing.

Not being heard is no reason for silence.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

IMO this has a lot to do with the lack of communication between developer and playerbase.

This garbage again? Are you able to cover your eyes with your fingers plugged into your ears, or are you just living under a rock? There’s been nothing but an overwhelming avalanche communication and updates coming from ArenaNet. You guys just didn’t like what you heard.

they don’t communicate. they tell us things they don’t speak to us there is a massive difference between talking at someone and talking to them. any company can make an announcement, but what we need from Anet – now more than ever – is a conversation. speaking, reasoning, explaining. that’s how we overcome misunderstandings and reach compromises.

Nokaru.7831

they don’t communicate. they tell us things they don’t speak to us there is a massive difference between talking at someone and talking to them. any company can make an announcement, but what we need from Anet – now more than ever – is a conversation. speaking, reasoning, explaining. that’s how we overcome misunderstandings and reach compromises.

If they asked the community if they’d rather pay 1 dollar for the expansion or 20 dollars, what would the community say? This proposition is simply idiotic. Everyone is going to want to pay less. Always.

Blizzard didn’t host some vote about whether or not they could increase the price of Warlords of Draenor compared to their other expansions from $40.00 to $50.00. Square Enix didn’t seek the approval of their community for their price tag of Heavensward. They named their price. If you want to play, you have to pay; and they set the rules. Not you.

Where was the community outrage for those games? Where were the headlines? Oh right. It didn’t matter. Their communities were happy to see the next chapter of their game inching closer though! It’s an expansion, and everyone expects to pay money for it. For some reason though, paying money for an expansion is a new source of outrage for the GW2 trolls to latch on to!

“They should have asked us if we wanted to pay money for the expansion.” Why ask? Everyone knows the answer: People want everything for free. Next question?

(edited by Nokaru.7831)