Fails of the trailer.

Fails of the trailer.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

The announcement trailer blew me away. It was epic. But it didn’t escape it’s fails, and neither did a-net when preseting HoT info. Here are some things to learn for the future.

The movie:

1. Engineer with hammer scene. Total bs and we all know it. Since when do mordrem wolves run away from you, rather then fiercely engaging you in combat? Only when feared or changing their prey. None of that seems to be the case. And what about those golfballs with propellers flying around engi? Well…erm…they fly?

This one will bite you in the kitten , rest assured. Combat in GW2 does not look like that, level 80 mobs don’t die from single hammer swing and we all know that. Hyped up players will run into the jungle and there “Not as seen on tv”. Instead you could’ve had those wolves chase another player, engi getting on their trail, the small drones doing something(!) like attacking the last one, then when still ignored by the wolves engi catches up with some hammer bashing. That would make much more sense, and not have players feel cheated when it’s down to GW2 reality of “each mordrem mob takes work to put down”.

2. Another engi scene – the one with 3 characters in the darkness and that small (albeit awesome looking) dragon walking right into them. Now here we have a character holding a rifle in medium armor. Others are heavies with a hammer and sword and shield (so both legit warrior or guard). Now we got forums in hopes that it’s a thief specialization. If it is, forget i said anything. But if it’s an engi then a fair move would be to have him equip a kit and not confuse people. Feature you hinted but it won’t be there will once again bite you in the kitten .

3. Oh that awesome looking dragon too. Remember teq? Plague Bearer? Or Zhaithan champion dragons in personal story end? Yeah that’s one skin that didn’t get reused….more then 4 times. Claw of jormag also ain’t looking the best.
Now we’re gonna get the new guy that makes you ask “How lazy where those guys designing all those dragons before? Why didn’t we get something looking like THIS?”
And he better look like this ingame, and not another teq who’s artwork is nothing like ingame model.

4. Mesmer’s shield skill. Oh so he casts it and they die….riiiiight. So what does this skill do anyway? You guessed it -something. Who knows what. Hey, still better then those golfballs of engis, at least it killed something. How it did that, how will that skill hint at new abilities of mesmer and gameplay mechanics? Errrr…oh hey look! Pink butterflies when it’s done with it’s animation!!

5. Rytlock is walking in the distance…erm…walking…in which direction exactly? Away from screen, to screen? Those vines are withdrawing…because he’s nearing? Or because he’s away and no point anymore?

6. Rytlock opens the gate to cities of gold (had to make that reference;) that are wide, beautiful aaaaand.. we’re already inside the temple that seriously gives off the “last scenes before the dragon will take place here”. That’s just in case you wondered why so many people ask about map size.
Little zooming out, panning the view, showing just how BIG it all is from bird’s view would do wonders to making players believe x-pac will be bigger. Instead you subconciously send them message “oh you’re in, welcome…and the end.”

7. Rytlock going ninja kitten on mobs, once again giving the wibe “two swings it’s all it takes against the mordrem” riiight….

Other then that the trailer was awesome and certainly got many people hyped up to the max myself included. I just would prefer less smoke and mirrors in trailer and more actual gameplay to both myself and new players won’t give off yet another moan of dissapointment at game trailer completely detached from the game reality.

Ps. do you seriously believe old borderlands WvWvW map will be even mentioned in anything else then horror stories once the new elemental themed one launches?

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

Other then that the trailer was awesome and certainly got many people hyped up to the max myself included.

If the trailer was awesome, don’t say it fails in the title.

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Attachments:

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: Jokubas.4265

Jokubas.4265

If the trailer was awesome, don’t say it fails in the title.

To be fair, the trailer can be awesome and still be so misleading that it’s ultimately bad press. That said, the original poster seems to be jumping to quite a few conclusions themselves.

For instance, we have no idea what the scene with Rytlock approaching the Mursaat means. A lot of people keep thinking it’s some endgame raid, but based on the New Allies scene, I’m guessing it’s more representative of us meeting with them early in the expansion.

Fails of the trailer.

ZeftheWicked.3076

If the trailer was awesome, don’t say it fails in the title.[/quote]

Sorry sorry, this time english did a trick on me. I wanted to say something like “fails of the trailer”, as in parts where it fails. Instead it looks like i stated the verb “it fails”.

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Wow. The nitpicking here is worse than when people complained that a cat in Hunger Games was the wrong color.

You should probably watch some of the original GW2 trailers and skill videos. Enemies die in one hit there too. The purpose is only to show off the skill, not that it takes a million hits to kill something in the game.

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

A trailer is meant to be a showcase of the content not the actual experience of the content.

That’d be like someone claiming “Oh I’ve seen the Heart of Thorns trailer. I’ve basically played the game now.”

No.

Taking things way too literally here, bud.

Fails of the trailer.

ZeftheWicked.3076

I have seen them and know well. I’m just telling them to not repeat that mistake of detaching trailers from ingame reality. If they take that advice there will be massive jaw dropping not at the trailer, but at the actual game when people find out the trailer wasn’t sugarcoating and it really is a case of “what you see is what you get”.

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: Kreed.2768

Kreed.2768

Trailers are by design made to make your product look awesome. That’s their whole purpose. Just look at movies. There’s plenty of movies out there that turned out to be absolutely terrible, but had great trailers that made it look like it was going to be the greatest movie ever.

It’s just how marketing works.

Lover of longbow rangers.
Party Hard in GW2!
My YouTube Channel!

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I have seen them and know well. I’m just telling them to not repeat that mistake of detaching trailers from ingame reality. If they take that advice there will be massive jaw dropping not at the trailer, but at the actual game when people find out the trailer wasn’t sugarcoating and it really is a case of “what you see is what you get”.

How is the trailer sugarcoating? You can one shot most enemies in the game with the right build anyways.

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

Did I miss the “Actual Game-play Footage” announcement? No, then it wasn’t actual game-play footage. The trailer it a hypewagon.

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Well mate, if you think everything you see in TV, movies or other media is a strict depiction of reality (virtual reality in this one), you’re bound for a harsh life.
For all you know they’ve all been fighting all those mordrem for hours now, and you’re witnessing their last hits.

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: BammBamm.6719

BammBamm.6719

maybe they thought people can differ between an advertising trailer and gameplay? obviously not

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Ugh.. Uhm.. Okay.. I don’t even..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketing

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: Inguiomerus.1504

Inguiomerus.1504

Remember when we decided if gameplay was good or not depending on how it actually played and not by over analyzing a single announcement trailer?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Fails of the trailer.

ZeftheWicked.3076

mordrem wolves with single swing of auto? Looking forward to seeing proof.

That’t the core of my beef. If you did not play and see the trailer you’re convinced you’ll be this god of war at endgame running in steampunk heavy armor, major size hammer squishing regular mobs like bugs. We all know that last part is anything but true when facing mordrem, and x-pac promises to be have hardest content yet. If you signed up for dynasty warriors and you get dark souls then you have the right to be dissapointed, and trailers make it look like the first, the engame like the latter (talking silverwastes here and meeting with modrem when you’re all by your lonesome)

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

Still think you’re taking a cinematic trailer that made no claims of showing actual gameplay footage a tad too literally.

Yes, it is showing game footage however it makes it plain and obvious that it’s for marketing purposes just from the content within the trailer itself seeing as how a majority of it was all cinematics.

Gameplay footage would be like what you see people livestream. It’s a completely different thing.

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: Ferraro.6125

Ferraro.6125

mordrem wolves with single swing of auto? Looking forward to seeing proof.

That’t the core of my beef. If you did not play and see the trailer you’re convinced you’ll be this god of war at endgame running in steampunk heavy armor, major size hammer squishing regular mobs like bugs. We all know that last part is anything but true when facing mordrem, and x-pac promises to be have hardest content yet. If you signed up for dynasty warriors and you get dark souls then you have the right to be dissapointed, and trailers make it look like the first, the engame like the latter (talking silverwastes here and meeting with modrem when you’re all by your lonesome)

Only naive or stupid people would think that. It is kind of common sense that a trailer exaggerates a lot of stuff and if it is not marketed as a gameplay trailer they can do that. You are really just nitpicking.

Fails of the trailer.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Wow. The nitpicking here is worse than when people complained that a cat in Hunger Games was the wrong color.

You should probably watch some of the original GW2 trailers and skill videos. Enemies die in one hit there too. The purpose is only to show off the skill, not that it takes a million hits to kill something in the game.

This. Skill videos are there to show what the skill looks like. For instance, the Ranger axe skill video showed a guy deftly spinning around using his axes to bounce spells back at Grawl standing in a perfect circle around him. One reflect equaled one dead Grawl. And it looked awesome and made me want to play Ranger just to get that skill, even though it was abundantly clear that the video was using a level 80 not scaled down against level 1 opponents.

I did notice the wolves running away, but they might have been charging someone off screen, or just been feared, who knows? I have no reason to think the Engie hammer specialization won’t allow that arcing fiery leap to a ground pound.

Fails of the trailer.

ZeftheWicked.3076

Of course i’m nitpicking here. Because you can’t find big flaws in greatness. What turns great into legendary are the details that those posessing sharp logic and/or artistic skills can point out and drive something as awesome as this game’s trailer team to even higher levels, which i hope for them with all my heart, because this is one of the best trailers i’ve ever seen.

If the game lives up to 50% of trailer hype then it’ll be money well spent hands down. But till then i will nitpick and praise where it’s due, so they know there’s always a higher peak to climb.