Cantha and the next expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: MakeitNeil.4561

MakeitNeil.4561

I want to hear your input on the coming expansion. I think that Cantha will be added. I think the addition of Cantha could be used to add world PvP in the particular continent. I like the idea of WvW but the addition of world PvP would be nice. Once you enter Cantha you could have the choice to join the Luxon or the Kurzick forces (the two warring groups in Cantha from Guild Wars 1). Thus, we would be able to have world pvp in Cantha and PK the players on the opposing side. Also, what do you think the races and classes would be if they added Cantha. I think that they will only add 2 new races and classes in the next expansion. Knowing Guild Wars, I can almost guarantee this. For the two races, I would think that they would most likely add the Skritt, Kodan, Tengu, or Quaggan. For the classes, I could see a monk, a dervish, a ritualist, a pargon, a shaman (most likely), a druid (maybe not), or a dark knight of some sort. After that we have to think about weapons, skills, runes, traits, and sigils. For the runes and sigils. I could see many more different types added for more customization. I don’t think they are going to add new ammys though (sorry). As for the traits, they will probably add a new trait line for each class and a new slot. I could see there being four slots (Adept, NOVICE, Master, Grandmaster). As we saw in Guild Wars 1, they doubled the amount of skills in the next expansion. I could see the same happening in Guild Wars 2. This would add more variety and there would be more combinations of skills for builds one might want to use. Maybe builds would look a bit more different. Finally, I could see at least four new weapons added. Weapons I would like them to add would be the following: Battleaxe, Claymore, Halberd, Lance, Scythe, One-handed Hammer, Shuriken, Crossbow, Pick, Maul, Chained Mace, Chained Scythe, Whip, Throwing Knives/Daggers, Fists, Claws, Poles, and (since I couldn’t think of anything really that good for an Engineer) a Bazooka, perhaps? I don’t know. Anyway, I could also see many new dungeons added. I think Guild Wars 2 has the perfect opportunity to add a land in the sky to explore (like a mini Sky-world or something), but this is all just my thought on something they might add in the next expansion. What do you think? Please be positive though. And I would also like to hear what you would like to see in the upcoming expansion. This thread is for introducing your ideas, not harping on others.

Signed
Durzo Blint

(edited by MakeitNeil.4561)

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

You seems to have missed the fact that the Kurzick and Luxon no longer exists, and haven’t done for a century or something like that.

As for new classes several of the classes you are talking about already exists or can’t exist.
Monks and Paragons exists in the Guardian, and Dervish wouldn’t really work since they have such a close connection to the gods.

As for open world PvP, that is extremely unlikely that they would ever add, since that goes against the whole lore of the game.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

MakeitNeil.4561

You seems to have missed the fact that the Kurzick and Luxon no longer exists, and haven’t done for a century or something like that.

As for new classes several of the classes you are talking about already exists or can’t exist.
Monks and Paragons exists in the Guardian, and Dervish wouldn’t really work since they have such a close connection to the gods.

As for open world PvP, that is extremely unlikely that they would ever add, since that goes against the whole lore of the game.

I do agree with the Luxon and Kurzick statement. I didn’t consider that Guild Wars 2 is in the future. But I don’t agree with the other two statements. First, the Monk and the Pargon are nothing like the guardian. Monks smite their foes and use retribution and such. The type of Monk I was referring to, however, is a more Eastern Monk that uses a Pole in combat. Pargons use shouts to support their team and they attack with a spear and shield. They don’t really heal much at all. Now how are they remotely close to a guardian who uses heavy armor and acts more like a protective knight. Your argument about the Dervish is definitely invalid. And could you explain how the world PvP, IN CANTHA, goes against the “Lore” exactly? I would like to hear more about that. I have another question. Have you played Guild Wars 1 at all?

in Lore

lordkrall.7241

I do agree with the Luxon and Kurzick statement. I didn’t consider that Guild Wars 2 is in the future. But I don’t agree with the other two statements. First, the Monk and the Pargon are nothing like the guardian. Monks smite their foes and use retribution and such. The type of Monk I was referring to, however, is a more Eastern Monk that uses a Pole in combat. Pargons use shouts to support their team and they attack with a spear and shield. They don’t really heal much at all. Now how are they remotely close to a guardian who uses heavy armor and acts more like a protective knight. Your argument about the Dervish is definitely invalid. And could you explain how the world PvP, IN CANTHA, goes against the “Lore” exactly? I would like to hear more about that. I have another question. Have you played Guild Wars 1 at all?

It is not much of a statement, it is a fact. Nothing to agree with or not. We KNOW that the Kurzick and Luxon was defeated and forced into the Empire.

It has been quite clearly stated by the very developers of the game and its lore that Guardians were created by using the skills (as in combat styles and such, in lore) of Paragon refugees from Elona and Monks.
Guardians very much uses the very same type of skills as Paragons and Monks did (gameplay-wise) in GW1.

The whole Dervish profession is built around using the power of the human gods, who are 1: only actual used by the humans and 2: have gone missing.

The world PvP you talked about was built around the whole setting that there were two warring factions. That is no longer true, and it is rather (as far as we know) a possible fight against a tyrannic emperor if anything, and that would not really work well as world PvP, since we can’t really join the tyrannic emperor.

The whole setting of GW2 is about the races working together with each other to face greater threats. Putting World PvP in the middle of that wouldn’t really make any sense whatsoever.

I have played GW1 since a shortly after release of Prophecies, have you?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I want to start by saying that in my mind Cantha is far off (even if I personally want it to be the next expansion). I mean with two elder dragons on Tyria’s doorstep, 1 underneath, and one hidden somewhere in the sea, it seems to me that the Pact has a bunch of cleaning up to do at home before moving out. Personally, I think if the next expansion opens up an old territory it will be Elona, mainly because of the proximity to the last known location of an elder dragon, Kralkatorrik, and also to one of the Pact’s most fortified locations, Fort Trinity.

But off of that I think lordkrall has some points. Luxon/Kurzick is probably out the window. If anything I would guess that there are quite possibly groups of luxons and kurzicks that have teamed up to rebel against the Canthan Empire (depending on if the empire is oppressive at all, since we know so little about it).

On the subject of professions, I do not believe ArenaNet will go down that road personally. As much as I want my Ritualist back, I think ArenaNet learned from the major balancing issues that they had in GW1 and will not be adding professions with every expansion. On the subject of monk, the smiting of monks are very prevalent in many of the skills on the guardian. Many of the skills have the same sort of feel of the smiting monk without the exact conditions because of the way in which they simplified conditions. As for the paragon, some of their skills moved to the monk, but I have a feeling that most of their shouts moved on to the Warrior (who already had a selection of shouts, it only makes sense that they expanded their repertoire). And the Dervish is a profession fully devoted to the human gods. The key word here is HUMAN. The dervish skills are all related directly to prayers to the gods, much like the monk. This type of profession would not work for a charr, asura, or sylvari. You could possibly make a comparison with the norn spirits, but I feel like this would definitely be reaching. In the end, I think the more likely scenario would be for ArenaNet to give us extra weapons for the professions we already have in order to expand the play styles without causing as many balancing issues as a whole new profession.

As for races, what you have seems a little off. For one, Cantha is extremely anti-racial, until new lore tells us otherwise. So it seems unlikely that there would be any other racial homelands or even large populations in Cantha, unless they expand the continent further south. In this case the races that I could see being involved would be those related directly to the storyline in Cantha, those would be Dredge, Tengu, Naga, and possibly Wardens, although Wardens are really close in nature to Sylvari. Enough that many people who did not play Guild Wars originally would get confused as to how they are different.

On the open world PvP, I find this unlikely in GW. Ever since the creation of GW1, there has been a separation between PvE and PvP. It isn’t necessarily lore that it would go against, it is just the basic concepts of the game. The open world has always been about cooperation and you can go into the Mists if you want competition. I’m not saying it is an impossibility, just that it seems unlikely to me.

Have you played Guild Wars 1 at all?

I’m sorry, but this kind of attitude will not make you any friends in the game. That was a very harsh statement over really nothing. Each player is allowed their opinion, and just because he didn’t go into a full explanation like me doesn’t mean that he does not know the game.

(edited by Narcemus.1348)

in Lore

MakeitNeil.4561

It is not much of a statement, it is a fact. Nothing to agree with or not. We KNOW that the Kurzick and Luxon was defeated and forced into the Empire.

It has been quite clearly stated by the very developers of the game and its lore that Guardians were created by using the skills (as in combat styles and such, in lore) of Paragon refugees from Elona and Monks.
Guardians very much uses the very same type of skills as Paragons and Monks did (gameplay-wise) in GW1.

The whole Dervish profession is built around using the power of the human gods, who are 1: only actual used by the humans and 2: have gone missing.

The world PvP you talked about was built around the whole setting that there were two warring factions. That is no longer true, and it is rather (as far as we know) a possible fight against a tyrannic emperor if anything, and that would not really work well as world PvP, since we can’t really join the tyrannic emperor.

The whole setting of GW2 is about the races working together with each other to face greater threats. Putting World PvP in the middle of that wouldn’t really make any sense whatsoever.

I have played GW1 since a shortly after release of Prophecies, have you?

Yes I have played Guild Wars 1 for quite a while as well. Now, for world PvP they could add new factions or something. I am opening my mind to new ideas that players might like. Also, the Dervish do use the powers of the Gods; however, I did not know that the Gods were “human”. There are Gods Present in Guild Wars 2. Couldn’t they use the power of these Gods also? I know that Kormir still exists in Guild Wars 2. Thus Your point is invalid. We clearly saw Kormir take the place of Abbadon in Guild wars 1. So I’m not sure that the Gods have really gone missing entirely. Maybe we will be introduced to the others in the NEXT EXPANSION. The Godess of Melandru is also in Guild Wars 2. Your point is invalid. Also, would you mind giving me a link to your statement informing us that “Guardians were created by using the skills (as in combat styles and such, in lore) of Paragon refugees from Elona and Monks”. I would like to see a link to where the developers said this. And finally, this is a thread to see what you would LIKE Guild Wars 2 to add. Not a thread to explain why others ideas are not good. Tell me what you would like to see. If we go any further off topic, I will have to request to close the thread.

(edited by MakeitNeil.4561)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Also, the Dervish do use the powers of the Gods, however, i did not know that the Gods were “human”. There are Gods Present in Guild Wars 2. Couldn’t they use the power of these Gods also? I know that Kormir still exists in Guild Wars 2. Thus Your point is invalid.

Professions in GW2 are not, and will not be, race-restricted.

The Six Gods are unique unto the humans among the playable races. Dervishes, who’s whole lore behind them is based upon the gods, would not work with the charr, asura, sylvari, or norn. This is where the point comes in that Dervish cannot, will not, become playable. Not as they were in GW1 aesthetically for sure.

Besides, the biggest defining factor of the dervish – the avatar skills – had mostly manifested in the form of human elite racial skills, albeit greatly different than GW1.

Also, would you mind giving me a link to your statement informing us that “Guardians were created by using the skills (as in combat styles and such, in lore) of Paragon refugees from Elona and Monks”. I would like to see a link to where the developers said this.

There is another thread in which this was mentioned already. The origin is this interview primarily but not solely. Mechanically it took aspects from the paragon, dervish, ritualist, and monk. Lore-wise, it originates from the monks and paragons, as seen in that interview as well as in the skill names the guardian uses – such as Healing Breeze and “Retreat!” among many others.

And finally, this is a thread to see what you would LIKE Guild Wars 2 to add. Not a thread to explain why others ideas are not good. Tell me what you would like to see. If we go any further off topic, I will have to request to close the thread.

It is only natural for others to explain why others’ hopes won’t come to fruition when people say what they’d like, especially when we know it won’t happen. For whatever reason they may have.

Signed
Kylar Stern

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

MakeitNeil.4561

Also, the Dervish do use the powers of the Gods, however, i did not know that the Gods were “human”. There are Gods Present in Guild Wars 2. Couldn’t they use the power of these Gods also? I know that Kormir still exists in Guild Wars 2. Thus Your point is invalid.

Professions in GW2 are not, and will not be, race-restricted.

The Six Gods are unique unto the humans among the playable races. Dervishes, who’s whole lore behind them is based upon the gods, would not work with the charr, asura, sylvari, or norn. This is where the point comes in that Dervish cannot, will not, become playable. Not as they were in GW1 aesthetically for sure.

Besides, the biggest defining factor of the dervish – the avatar skills – had mostly manifested in the form of human elite racial skills, albeit greatly different than GW1.

Also, would you mind giving me a link to your statement informing us that “Guardians were created by using the skills (as in combat styles and such, in lore) of Paragon refugees from Elona and Monks”. I would like to see a link to where the developers said this.

There is another thread in which this was mentioned already. The origin is this interview primarily but not solely. Mechanically it took aspects from the paragon, dervish, ritualist, and monk. Lore-wise, it originates from the monks and paragons, as seen in that interview as well as in the skill names the guardian uses – such as Healing Breeze and “Retreat!” among many others.

And finally, this is a thread to see what you would LIKE Guild Wars 2 to add. Not a thread to explain why others ideas are not good. Tell me what you would like to see. If we go any further off topic, I will have to request to close the thread.

It is only natural for others to explain why others’ hopes won’t come to fruition when people say what they’d like, especially when we know it won’t happen. For whatever reason they may have.

Signed
Kylar Stern

Well this topic was supposed to be a fun way of sharing ideas. Not harping on ideas. I know that a lot of what I say won’t become a reality. But this thread is solely based on the sharing of interesting ideas. And at that note, you, Sir, are out of line. I am going to ask a GM to close this thread because we are now completely off topic. There is no fun in that.

in Lore

lordkrall.7241

Well this topic was supposed to be a fun way of sharing ideas. Not harping on ideas. I know that a lot of what I say won’t become a reality. But this thread is solely based on the sharing of interesting ideas. And at that note, you, Sir, are out of line. I am going to ask a GM to close this thread because we are now completely off topic. There is no fun in that.

You do seem to misunderstand the point of this part of the forum though.
It is a LORE-forum not a suggestion forum. Lore is something that we for most part KNOW about and therefore incorrect usage of the lore will be shot down, simple as that really.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

My first post in this thread and I’m out of line by explaining your questions and answering your request?

Gotcha.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Sir, it is not necessary to lash out at people because they do not think your ideas are possible. None of what I have read from lordkrall or Konig has been insulting or rude in any way, and yet you seem to have taken what was a basic explanation of the situation and turned it into an assault against you.

in Lore

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Well, the whole idea of Cantha being added to GW2 is extremely popular and highly requested (see the link in my signature). A developer has commented on it, and actually another developer talked about it a few days ago somewhere else (there’s a link somewhere in the last couple pages of the thread to it)…Cantha appears to be coming to GW2 at some point so it’s probably more a matter of “when”.

As far as the Kurzicks & Luxon go…Yes, they were defeated and conscripted into the Empire, but it’s also been over 200 years since we heard about any of that and just because they were conscripted into the Empire does not mean that somehow in the last 2 and a half centuries we haven’t heard about yet, that they haven’t managed to thrive as PART of the Empire, break apart from, be granted independence from, or any other possible outcome to do with the Empire. For all we know, the Monarchy has been abolished, and therefor the political and therefor factional situation has changed completely.

There’s also no reason why the people of those factions couldn’t have retained their culture in addition to the rest of Cantha’s culture, as many sub-cultures do in real life. There’s two and a half centuries left to the imagination so far, so nobody is really correct or incorrect at this point.

ArenaNet can decide to do what they want, if they want Cantha as the first expansion then they will make it the first expansion, if not then they won’t. I don’t think there’s any good reason to say it wouldn’t make sense, though as there’s all sorts of ways to include every race in Cantha, Elona, etc. The iconic cultures of GW1 should be very present in the direct sequel to the game, especially when it’s 250 years later, not 1050 years later.

(edited by Shanna.4762)

in Lore

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Just wait, the Aetherblades are actually Canthans, when they learned about Dragon bash, they came along to ruin it….

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Just wait, the Aetherblades are actually Canthans, when they learned about Dragon bash, they came along to ruin it….

I so what that to be it. But I can’t make sense of why they would have Inquest Golems…. (And they are Inquest Golems because the Dragon Bash guide on the GW2 Blog directly calls them Inquest Golems.)

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I so what that to be it. But I can’t make sense of why they would have Inquest Golems…. (And they are Inquest Golems because the Dragon Bash guide on the GW2 Blog directly calls them Inquest Golems.)

There’s nothing beyond a direct reference to the inquest and their golems to indicate that they are in fact inquest golems. :P

in Lore

lordkrall.7241

Well, the whole idea of Cantha being added to GW2 is extremely popular and highly requested (see the link in my signature). A developer has commented on it, and actually another developer talked about it a few days ago somewhere else (there’s a link somewhere in the last couple pages of the thread to it)…Cantha appears to be coming to GW2 at some point so it’s probably more a matter of “when”.

As far as the Kurzicks & Luxon go…Yes, they were defeated and conscripted into the Empire, but it’s also been over 200 years since we heard about any of that and just because they were conscripted into the Empire does not mean that somehow in the last 2 and a half centuries we haven’t heard about yet, that they haven’t managed to thrive as PART of the Empire, break apart from, be granted independence from, or any other possible outcome to do with the Empire. For all we know, the Monarchy has been abolished, and therefor the political and therefor factional situation has changed completely.

There’s also no reason why the people of those factions couldn’t have retained their culture in addition to the rest of Cantha’s culture, as many sub-cultures do in real life. There’s two and a half centuries left to the imagination so far, so nobody is really correct or incorrect at this point.

ArenaNet can decide to do what they want, if they want Cantha as the first expansion then they will make it the first expansion, if not then they won’t. I don’t think there’s any good reason to say it wouldn’t make sense, though as there’s all sorts of ways to include every race in Cantha, Elona, etc. The iconic cultures of GW1 should be very present in the direct sequel to the game, especially when it’s 250 years later, not 1050 years later.

Of course, but what you are talking about is how stuff COULD be, while the only real information we actually HAVE points to something else.
Basing suggestions or discussion on stuff that we don’t actually know is not really such a good idea (especially not since half the community seems to have a hard time seeing the difference between opinion and facts (see Wooden Potato’s videos for reference)

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Aetherblade is multi-racial and got inquest help, myth busted.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Posted by: Luminair.7593

Luminair.7593

Bear with me long wall of text and multiple posts about it will follow but here are my thoughts on what I want to see on the next expansion.

Cantha expansion:

Setting: A few years earlier the other side of Orr, the first expedition to expand into Orr failed. A Canthian prince that was head of the expedition had ordered a retreat, but the fort still remains on Orr.

Current time after Zhaitan falls, another expedition by a different prince find Orr without Zhaitan but undead are still a major influence. He manages to establish a foothold on the shore and decided to push on but encountered the different forces on the continent. Xenophobic, startle they attacked; so now Orr had a tri-warfare between the pact, undead and Canthian.

Reason for attacks: Cantha

- See the Tengu, so automatically assume that these birds is behind the undead and with the history of distrust it’s easy to come to that conclusion.
- Many cultures Charr, Norn, human, asura and sylvari mingle, that creates culture clash for the singular race Canthian.
- Discovered some agent of the Whisper in their war camp, which creates conspiracy notions.
- Push on by political reason by the first prince that had failed.
- Discovered that their district in Divinity Reach collapse, that had spark another conspiracy that these Tyrian are after them so they should strike first.
- Resource expansion, politic, and belief in human supremacy.

Reason for attacks: Pact

- Their agents had been capture by another forces out of nowhere and last report had been “hostile” so appropriate counter measure are deployed.
- With the death of Zhaitan, came the issue of which nations had claim to Orr so a war with an “unknown” force are an excuse to build up presence in Orr and later lay claim to it.
- Culture clashes just the reverse of Canthian.
- Undead are still a present which is troublesome, and they had assumed that with the death of Zhaitan it would be cease to be a problem, but it had not. Another force on Orr is just too much for the issue to be a coincident.

in Lore

Luminair.7593

STORY LINE: divided into four acts

Act I: warfare

- Fight rages on missions to capture points of interest, seeing warfare.
- Puzzle the other side motivation for the war.
- Set up base of operations/defend base of operations.
- Saboteur the other side supplies line. Stabilizing controlled territories.
- Push further into undead territories.

Act II: intrigue

- Discovered issue within our side of the war. Story differs for each race you choose to play as.
o Tyria Human: Separatists help the Canthian because it is a human supremacy nation, so they funnel tech and info to the Canthian, and paint the picture of the Tyrian kingdom had been declining due to all the other races and Orr rightfully belong to human. A senator hoping to capitalized on this want to set up his own kingdom and think he can swoop in after all the forces are weary from the fighting.
o Charr: criticism, they had gone a bit soft on the human, so another all out war and expansion sounds good. Flame Legion wants to set up base in Orr, because of magic that can sink a continent is too great of a weapon for them.
o Asura: The Inquest is desperate for fund and resources so they begin selling tech to Canthian for resources and promise of land to resume their way. The Asura naturally do not like their tech being sold out, is hostile to those they viewed as proliferating and perverting their inventions.
o Sylvari: another World Tree in Canthian controlled territories, so they worry that it can be corrupted.
o Norn: Battle and War for sake of glories (secret first time seeing elder dragon are not working with each other – Jormag want to take Orr to expand his influence.)
o Canthian: Growing political tension between three princes each for their own reasons.
? One in Orr finds out that basically he had been sent on the impression that he will fail and dies there. His brother had influence the decision to pave his way to become the next emperor.
? He find outs and begins to admired the way these different cultures and work together to bring down foes such as Zhaitan.
? The emperor dies.

in Lore

Luminair.7593

Act III: Truce

- At the same time the undead had become more relentless, attack on outpost and both Cathian and Pact forces had come under constant attacks.
- Theories on Zhaitan revivals, so tentative truce to focus on the undead.
- Resolution for the faction discoveries in Act II.
o Tyrian: remove separatist from influence the war, and the senator scheme are exposed.
o Charr: Stopping the Flame Legion from claiming Orr, and a worthy opponent in the human so they respect that.
o Asura: Traces down the Inquest and proves that those invention are unstable and will do more harm than good for those involve in using it, they would be glad to help to bring tech “purity” to those misguided.
o Sylvari: Extract the promised from the Canthian that the land surrounding the world tree is theirs and discovered that somehow this tree had influence members of the NC. They had to put it down but a sapling is take back to the grove to in hope.
o Norn: more glories at fighting Jormag than human, confirm that yes the elder dragon are scheming against each other and Jormag forces had somehow succeeded in getting something from Orr, and he will start moving soon.

o Canthian: truce with other to deal with the undead and stabilizing their settlements on Orr. Expose the influence of his brother to get him killed to his other brother who was sent to investigate his involvement and progress in Orr. With the death of their father, arrives the news that the third brother back in Catha had declared them both traitors the empire had plunge into civil war separated into three factions between the three brothers:
? Peaceful: want to open border trade with other nations promote culture exchange.
? Neutral: keep the same policy, but no more war with Tyria concentrate on Cantha.
? Hostile: No peace until all Orr is under Canthian control and all other race must leave.
? Discovered some branded enemies in the hostile factions.
- Truce is set up and heading back to Cantha, even the neutral faction grudgingly decided they allow a team of specialist to deal with the dragon influence and that the forces of the hostile princes is stronger than both of them since he had been moving and dispersing their forces in Cantha while they are both in Orr.

Act IV: Conflict resolution

- Participate in supporting either peaceful or neutral to lay more claimants to the throne between the two brothers, by doing quests that are supportive of the population while declaring your side. (like joining an order)
- Discover which elder dragon is influencing the branding. (sea elder is likely)
- Fights the Hostile faction and taking back Kaineng city.
- Find out that the hostile prince is not in league with the elder dragon, he is just acting on his own, and the elder dragon is just taking advantage of the chaos causing the death of the emperor to destabilize the empire, so two sides are just using each other for their own ends.
- Track down the source of the dragon branding and contain it in an area.
- Win the civil war by helping push out the hostile force defeat their prince in the final resolution, except for their stronghold in the mountain regions. He escaped.
- Have two brothers discuss the future of Cantha naming the new emperor with a style name so it will be ambiguous which one had won in the storyline.
- With the truce in Orr, rebuilding in Catha, and Canthian promised more help dealing with elder dragon threats, we can discover the mysteries of the increase in undead activities in Orr. Clues pointed to the direction of Eloha (next expansion) and growing threat from Jormag, the pact will need more help from Canthian military to keep Orr from complete overrun.

in Lore

Luminair.7593

Game Play and extra:

- New class : heavy armor Samurai

- New race: Tengu playable

- Two factions have different type of armor skin you can buy only if you are supporting it in the civil war. Differ from the standard Canthian armor skins from the new expansion.

- Orr is changing, greener patches in the places signaling that the land is healing.

- Introduce the new Destiny Edge by have the pact asking them in the war effort.

- Cantha exploration, have the Jade Sea had been stripped mined for Jade.

- (For humor sake) Have the peaceful prince taken with countess Anise – setting up a chain of events to woo her – end up sending you on a quest all over the world – somehow with the final gift being rejected – and you end up keeping it because she doesn’t want it. (complete armor skin) (female char being ask if that what the countess would like …male char being asked if that’s what make him more attractive to her). Or just inclusion of previously named NPC in some humor events for continuation and a sense of world connection.

- Civil war aspect, tabulate each participation event in Cantha so flag on map shows which faction had more influence in it. Dependent on which side had stronger influence, heart quest NPC sell different type of items.
o +1 for each event for the side, if that character is part of the faction.
o +0 if you had not reach that point in the story line yet.
o Reset at daily reset where NPC just sell ordinary items or influence is equal.
o Update points every half hr or so

- 2 new dungeons:
o Killing the hostile prince in his final stronghold, a dungeon that happens on open ground, open warfare type for story path (dealing with remnant for exp path).

o Killing the dragon champion that operates behind the scene. (clear up the area for exp path)

END

Sorry for the posts and the wall of texts.

in Lore

Posted by: Canakun.8031

Canakun.8031

My first post in this thread and I’m out of line by explaining your questions and answering your request?

Gotcha.

Trying to think of a word to describe MakeitNeil.4561.
Can’t.

Mamorou Itou Defense Club.
Protect him at all costs.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

There’s nothing beyond a direct reference to the inquest and their golems to indicate that they are in fact inquest golems. :P

The golem names are Inquest golem names. I think that’s indication. I think they were stolen or bought, but either don’t prevent the Aetherblades from being Canthan.

What does reduce the Aetherblades from being Canthan is the fact that there are norn and char in the pirate group. With a norn being the first mate according to the picture of the mini.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

Firs, just a sugestion, Makeit please divide your texts into paragraphs, wall of texts about so many different things, with no separation are hard to read.

I want to hear your input on the coming expansion. I think that Cantha will be added. I think the addition of Cantha could be used to add world PvP in the particular continent. I like the idea of WvW but the addition of world PvP would be nice.

The thing that makes GW2 stand up is the abscence of threads from other players in PvE, and aditionally anti leech/ninja mechanics and giving everyone the possibility of resurrecting other players. GW2 community is incredibly cooperative with others compared with other MMOs because they eliminated any possible thread from other players in any way. I don’t think open world PvP is a possibility, let’s give that to WvW that already has a conquest system.

Not to mention that Luxon and Kurzick hardly have the forces to fight anything, or that any non-human (and inside humans anyone not related to Canthan ancient history) wouldn’t be identified at all with their causes so fighting for them makes no sense.

Could some new PvP and WvW features be added? Of course, why not. But open world PvP? I say it goes against how this game works.

Also, what do you think the races and classes would be if they added Cantha. I think that they will only add 2 new races and classes in the next expansion. Knowing Guild Wars, I can almost guarantee this. For the two races, I would think that they would most likely add the Skritt, Kodan, Tengu, or Quaggan.

The only one related to Cantha are the Tengu, and we know their capitol is very close to Lion’s Arc because Canthan xenophobic governement sent every non-human away (or killed the ones that stayed).

Aditionally Skritt and Quaggan has a lot of ingrdients to NOT be playable. Kodan have many ingredients too for never being playable, but at least not as many as those 2.

I think if there would be a new playable race specifically related to Cantha at all, a theory I had some time ago is the possibility of a branch of “good” Onis, that may have been kept by Kanaxai’s forces and/or the Jade sea during GW1 but now are free. That’s the only example coming to my mind of a race that would be strong enough and have enough resources to resist against Canthan xenophobic government.

But that’s going into a lot of theorycrafting and wishful thinking on my part, and I think all future races will have their capitol on Tyria, as unlike GW1 where each continent was part of a campaign, in GW2 we will have expansions instead of campaigns, so it makes sense that the new races are part of the core continent.

For the classes, I could see a monk, a dervish, a ritualist, a pargon, a shaman (most likely), a druid (maybe not), or a dark knight of some sort.

Most of those classes are absorbed into current ones. Dervish are absorbed into Human Racial skills (and as others said, they don’t fit with other races). Monk and Paragon were merged into the Guardian.

I’m on the opinion, and I’ve said this multiple times, that giving new weapons to existing professions already covers any possible hole without needing to add a whole new profession with all the balancing headaches that implies (new main mechanics, new whole set of weapons working differently than others, new trait lines, etc…).

The example I almost always give is giving the Ranger a staff with nature magic spells. The Ranger already has a nature magic trait line, the ability to summon spirits of nature, the ability to use nature forces (like lightning or springs) and a profession mechanic related to animals. Give him a staff and you have a druid without needing to add the new profession druid.

There are many other examples for this. Thief + Rifle + Off Hand Sword = Pirate with already an existing mechanic related to pillaging. Thief with melee staff (same way necromancer or mesmer use axes and greatswords to throw magic) and a new family of utility skills related to unarmed techniques and you have a martial artist. And the list goes and goes…

The only stereotype I admit can’t be covered with current professions would be a heavy armor user of the Agression school. I think this might be a good way to revamp Ritualists (as their old mechanics are currently covered) with a mechanic related to spirits chained to him and focused on life stealing.

As for the traits, they will probably add a new trait line for each class and a new slot. I could see there being four slots (Adept, NOVICE, Master, Grandmaster).

I think they would go with adding more traits per level rather than more lines and more levels per line. That requires a lot of job and would be a complete headache for the balancing team given how this game works.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

in Lore

Lokheit.7943

Finally, I could see at least four new weapons added. Weapons I would like them to add would be the following: Battleaxe, Claymore, Halberd, Lance, Scythe, One-handed Hammer, Shuriken, Crossbow, Pick, Maul, Chained Mace, Chained Scythe, Whip, Throwing Knives/Daggers, Fists, Claws, Poles, and (since I couldn’t think of anything really that good for an Engineer) a Bazooka, perhaps? I don’t know.

Whoaaa whoaaaa stop there! Half of those weapons are the same mechanically! Most in that list are simply different skins of already existing weapons. Absolute no need to add so many weapons when they’re just different skins for existing weapons. Remember that every new weapon requires a whole new set of 5 skills for multiple professions using that weapon.

Claymore? Already in the game. One-handed hammer? They’re called maces in the game. Shuriken/throwing daggers/throwing knifes as a weapon set? Everything you could do is covered by daggers (both ranger and thief throw them and the thief makes them bounce) and you could maybe add some utility skill, but there is no way you make a whole set based on shurikens when we already have daggers covering it. Maul? Already in the game.

Battleaxe has been hinted by developers as a very high possibility (and multiple professions could benefit from it, like Warriors, Ranger and Necromancer, all of them for different roles). And I think Scythe could be added as skins for the Battleaxe without adding them as a new weapon (and there are already Staff skins for Scythe, in the theory I gave of melee staff they could be used as proper scythes if you pick those skins). Crossbow… maybe, but with already 2 types of bows and a rifle… still a maybe. Lances on land are a possibility too I guess.

IMO the most likely because they could be useful for multiple professions are Battleaxe (barbarian Warrior, woodsman Ranger and reaper Necromancer) and Whip (beastmaster Ranger, torturer Necromancer, indiana jones Thief), with already existing weapons being added to other professions (staff for druid Necromancer, bow for “arrows of light” Guardian, Rifle for snipper Thief, etc…).

As others said, Cantha is too far away anyway, though most of those could be added in any given expansions.

I think the way you wrote all this you have been thinking about this and wrote all your thoughs in a hurry, but please in the future divide them better so it’s easier to read and separate from each other

Also most of it doesn’t exactly fit in the lore section (I think you started thinking about the lore behind Luxon vs Kurzick and then included everything a perfect expansion would have for you) of the forum as it’s about the mechanics that a expansion would add.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

in Lore

Lokheit.7943

What does reduce the Aetherblades from being Canthan is the fact that there are norn and char in the pirate group. With a norn being the first mate according to the picture of the mini.

Aditionally there is a post in the official site stating they’re in an alliance with the Inquest. A pity IMO, I would’ve prefered them to be on their own. Being a multiracial organization (and there are Asura pirates out there) there wasn’t a need to aditionally ally them with a racial nemesis.

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Could some of you please leave the imaginary bubble you are living in and rethink the race question? (about what’s going to be playable)

Skritt, quaggan, hylek, grawl, these are called LESSER RACES. You can choose a racial intrest towards one of them in the personal story, eliminating any chances to be playable.

Quaggan thief? Nice joke.

The ONLY race that has chances atm is the Tengu. And you can take it for granted that they will be the next.

Kodan is a small maybe.. maybe 1% chance.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Could some of you please leave the imaginary bubble you are living in and rethink the race question? (about what’s going to be playable)

Skritt, quaggan, hylek, grawl, these are called LESSER RACES. You can choose a racial intrest towards one of them in the personal story, eliminating any chances to be playable.

Quaggan thief? Nice joke.

The ONLY race that has chances atm is the Tengu. And you can take it for granted that they will be the next.

Kodan is a small maybe.. maybe 1% chance.

Thank you!!!!! It’s getting really frustrating seeing people be completely illogical about the whole race issue.
If I see another person say that Centaurs and Quaggan are definitely going to be playable I am going to poke myself in the eye

Even the Tengu present issues though, they have beaks instead of mouths and as we’ve see in Personal Story dialogue pieces that does not lend itself to convincing ‘speaking’. My memory could be wrong, but I seem to remember the Tengu’s beak hardly even moving in conjunction with the voice acting – obviously that’s something they could address if they decided to make them playable, but it’s worth considering.

-edit- Around 9:40 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG83Hk5kyr0
The Tengu’s beak does go up and down with the dialogue, but as I said, it isn’t very convincing. They also don’t lend themselves well to facial emotion – something that all of the current races are very capable of (I mean yes the Charr look angry most of the time, but they do still have relatively diverse expressions).

(edited by FlamingFoxx.1305)

in Lore

Lokheit.7943

Even the Tengu present issues though, they have beaks instead of mouths and as we’ve see in Personal Story dialogue pieces that does not lend itself to convincing ‘speaking’. My memory could be wrong, but I seem to remember the Tengu’s beak hardly even moving in conjunction with the voice acting – obviously that’s something they could address if they decided to make them playable, but it’s worth considering.

-edit- Around 9:40 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG83Hk5kyr0
The Tengu’s beak does go up and down with the dialogue, but as I said, it isn’t very convincing. They also don’t lend themselves well to facial emotion – something that all of the current races are very capable of (I mean yes the Charr look angry most of the time, but they do still have relatively diverse expressions).

About the Tengu, it’s quite obvious that their model is a bit of a placeholder (they even have worse quality textures I think), and once they are developed as a playable race they will have much more detail for that kind of stuff.

I expect them end up with an array of personalization like this: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMcbyypioFZZeKCJMsZfKIwLDJ94BB3lfKsEHevNYw6Ex2u8vf

It will be interesting to see how they differentiate males and females. Probably they will go the Charr and Asura route with genderless armors, and probably the females will have smaller heads and chest with thiner necks (male birds usually show their big chest to atract females), the one on the right seems like a good base for female Tengu.

PS: And I hope a duck beak will be included… not that I will use it on my Tengu, but I love seeing the “comical relief” option, like Mushroom Sylvari and Afro Asura.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

As far as we know, female Tengu are actually larger than male ones. O_o

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Posted by: KSQK.3485

KSQK.3485

Keep in note that Cantha being isolationist is mostly based on how many of the East Asian kingdoms became isolationist and xenophobic between the 1300s-1600s (more particularly, it’s loosely based on Japan’s Edo period). Should ANet decide to look into Cantha (probably like 3-4 years from now), the lore would probably involve Cantha being forced out of isolation in a similar sense how Commodore Matthew Perry forced Japan out of isolation because of the western powers’ superior military technology. It would also involve how the Canthan society will have to reform itself and deal with other races like the Charr, Norn, Asura, and Sylvari much like the Meiji Restoration.

If I were to say which race would force Cantha out of isolation, I would best say the Charr because of 1) their superior military technology, and 2) they could easily curbstomp Cantha since Cantha won’t have the same military technology level like what the Charr have, and 3) The Charr nomenclature of their characters is very good for making names and characters based of the key historical figures that were involved in East Asia during the Industrial Revolution. For example, “Perry” part on Commodore Matthew Perry could be “Purfire” in the Tyrian world alternative.

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Keep in note that Cantha being isolationist is mostly based on how many of the East Asian kingdoms became isolationist and xenophobic between the 1300s-1600s (more particularly, it’s loosely based on Japan’s Edo period). Should ANet decide to look into Cantha (probably like 3-4 years from now), the lore would probably involve Cantha being forced out of isolation in a similar sense how Commodore Matthew Perry forced Japan out of isolation because of the western powers’ superior military technology. It would also involve how the Canthan society will have to reform itself and deal with other races like the Charr, Norn, Asura, and Sylvari much like the Meiji Restoration.

If I were to say which race would force Cantha out of isolation, I would best say the Charr because of 1) their superior military technology, and 2) they could easily curbstomp Cantha since Cantha won’t have the same military technology level like what the Charr have, and 3) The Charr nomenclature of their characters is very good for making names and characters based of the key historical figures that were involved in East Asia during the Industrial Revolution. For example, “Perry” part on Commodore Matthew Perry could be “Purfire” in the Tyrian world alternative.

This is just a theory bleeding from many wounds. They don’t mimic the whole history..

Cantha had one xenophobic Emperor 200 years ago. Yes. That’s right. And had at least another one before.

Many Emperors have passed since then, and the main reason why we can’t go there is Zhaitan. Who is dead now.

Charrs attacking Cantha? Why? They are in an alliance with humans now. Attacking Cantha would restart the war for sure. And why would you attack an empire 10 times bigger than yours, being more than 2 continents away from you, while you haven’t got a connetion to the sea?

And why would Cantha be primitive now? As some guards in Vabbi stated in GW1, ‘Vabbi has the best siege equipment, even cannons, from Cantha’. Back then, Cantha was the most advenced at war technology.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Tengu’s beak does go up and down with the dialogue, but as I said, it isn’t very convincing. They also don’t lend themselves well to facial emotion – something that all of the current races are very capable of.

That’s how all non-playable races are. Their mouths either hardly move, or it’s as if their whole lower jaw is a stiff block of wood on a puppet’s mouth going up and down. Grawl, hylek, quaggan, skritt, dredge, ogre, jotun, dredge, tengu, kodan, etc. are all like this.

About races, I’d say there’s only four races seen thus far in GW2 that have a possibility of becoming playable, however small:

Tengu, which I’d say is about 95% or more chance
Largos, which I’d give to be about 50% chance
Djinn, which I’d say is about 40% chance
Kodan, which I’d give to be about 20% chance

Any race considered to be an Elder or Lesser race is a no go; races considered to be a racial enemy (centaur, dredge, etc.) would similarly be a no go. The first case kind of puts djinn as “unlikely” but having one elder race that hasn’t fallen yet – the only case being djinn and possibly tengu depending on their history – isn’t unlikely.

Keep in note that Cantha being isolationist is mostly based on how many of the East Asian kingdoms became isolationist and xenophobic between the 1300s-1600s (more particularly, it’s loosely based on Japan’s Edo period).

Er, no. Not at all.

Firstly, Cantha has since day 1 had a history of going isolationistic. Read up on An Empire Divided for more details on this. But basically Cantha went isolationist about 3 times before GW1.

Cantha has a long history of emperors redacting their predecessor’s actions. Usoku just redacted Kisu’s and Kisu’s father’s actions is all. Chances are, Usoku’s successor redacted his actions – which would explain why sporadic Canthan sailors occasionally wash up on the Tarnished Coast. Cantha could be trying to re-establish trade, but since they haven’t with Zhaitan’s defeat, perhaps the DSD is getting in the way now.

Secondly, Cantha went isolationist this time as an excuse for ArenaNet to not include it upon release. It wasn’t a reference off of real life culture, otherwise you’d more or less have to argue that Elona being conquered by Palawa Joko is based off of some lord conquering most of northern Africa.

1. What interest would the charr have in Cantha?
  2. We don’t know Cantha’s level of technology. They could be in the equivilant of the 1920s for all we know.
  3. Number 3 of your points is utterly pointless, ArenaNet isn’t all about making puns and mimicing real history. They use cultures as influences and references for developing their own, but they don’t copy their history. Otherwise the sylvari would be coming out of charr oppression.
Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

-Accidental double posting-

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Konig you made a double post :P

“About races, I’d say there’s only four races seen thus far in GW2 that have a possibility of becoming playable, however small:
Kodan, which I’d give to be about 20% chance”

Btw you give your %s a bit too optimistic.

Djinn -99999%.
Largos 0.1%.
Kodan 1%.
Tengu 99%.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Posted by: KSQK.3485

KSQK.3485

The Tengu’s beak does go up and down with the dialogue, but as I said, it isn’t very convincing. They also don’t lend themselves well to facial emotion – something that all of the current races are very capable of.

That’s how all non-playable races are. Their mouths either hardly move, or it’s as if their whole lower jaw is a stiff block of wood on a puppet’s mouth going up and down. Grawl, hylek, quaggan, skritt, dredge, ogre, jotun, dredge, tengu, kodan, etc. are all like this.

About races, I’d say there’s only four races seen thus far in GW2 that have a possibility of becoming playable, however small:

Any race considered to be an Elder or Lesser race is a no go; races considered to be a racial enemy (centaur, dredge, etc.) would similarly be a no go. The first case kind of puts djinn as “unlikely” but having one elder race that hasn’t fallen yet – the only case being djinn and possibly tengu depending on their history – isn’t unlikely.

I personally think that quaggans, skirtt, kodan, hylek, and tengu have higher chances of being future playable races than say largos, grawl, ogres, and dredge.

1. What interest would the charr have in Cantha?
  2. We don’t know Cantha’s level of technology. They could be in the equivilant of the 1920s for all we know.
  3. Number 3 of your points is utterly pointless, ArenaNet isn’t all about making puns and mimicing real history. They use cultures as influences and references for developing their own, but they don’t copy their history. Otherwise the sylvari would be coming out of charr oppression.
  1. The Charr may probably be interested in the Canthan resources and military control of that area.
  2. Cantha didn’t have any contact with other cultures and civilizations for over 250 years. If they were to have the same military technology with the Charr, they would at least have some contact with the Charr.
  3. Cantha is loosely based and inspired by many east Asian cultures. The Charr is mostly inspired by Roman military structure and the Industrial Revolution. ArenaNet don’t make exactly replicas of real life cultures, but they based and inspired by them

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

The golem names are Inquest golem names. I think that’s indication. I think they were stolen or bought, but either don’t prevent the Aetherblades from being Canthan.

I think you misquoted there. Mine was a tongue in cheek response to Flamingfoxx based on how some people have made points in these forums when they really want something to be the way they initially saw it.

in Lore

lordkrall.7241

1. Cantha didn’t have any contact with other cultures and civilizations for over 250 years. If they were to have the same military technology with the Charr, they would at least have some contact with the Charr.
  2. Cantha is loosely based and inspired by many east Asian cultures. The Charr is mostly inspired by Roman military structure and the Industrial Revolution. ArenaNet don’t make exactly replicas of real life cultures, but they based and inspired by them

We have no idea about how much contact Cantha have had with other cultures since GW1. As far as we know there are several other cultures around that we do not actually know of yet, that have been in contact with Cantha.

Something being based and inspired by something != will play out the exact same way.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

I love it how people make up a totally non-sense theory and keep saying it is totally that way (charr will invade Cantha)

Just use your brains.
-Guys, we need resoruces! – Imperator
-Okay, look, I got a weird idea. – Rytlock
-Go on.
-What about.. invading an Empire 10-20 times greater than ours, is more than 2 continents away, we’ve never been there and know absolutely nothig about them, only that is has an armada that could wipe out our non-existing one! Also, they are humans, and we made a treaty with them just few years ago. Why don’t we become the new antagonists so all other races can ally against us?!
-That is some awesome logic you got there. I like your spirit! Let’s get started! Ofc, this won’t consume 100x more resources than that we could get if we would win!

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Though I don’t see the devs making the charr the aggressors without revealing a ‘big bad" of Cantha, we don’t know the state of Cantha. And they didn’t make a treaty with Cantha. But then again, that “big bad” wouldn’t require the charr to be the spearhead of the responders.

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Charrs are aggressive, but Cantha is definitely out of their range.

Also, they made the treaty with the humans, not just Ebonhawke. True, this would mean Kryta and Ascalon, but I’m sure it’s not specificed only to them in the treaty.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

I’m sure it doesn’t include an entire nation who’s policies they don’t know and who had no chance to engage in the negotiations. :P Really, the charr have no reason to make a treaty with Cantha. It’d be like saying that Ebonhake has a treaty with the charr so the Flame Legion is included. They made a treaty with playable humans. Not some unknown nation who has nothing to do with the humans the treaty was made with.

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Really, the charr have no reason to make a treaty with Cantha.

And no reason to do anything with lands outside Tyria :P

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Really, the charr have no reason to make a treaty with Cantha.

And no reason to do anything with lands outside Tyria :P

They have no reason to spearhead that effort. But if their allies are already going to those lands, they would have a reason to go. It would be new resources that could shift the balance of power.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I personally think that quaggans, skirtt, kodan, hylek, and tengu have higher chances of being future playable races than say largos, grawl, ogres, and dredge.

Those that are considered the “lesser races” (aka, the racial sympathy races) will never become playable. They lack too many things of what makes the playable races such. This would be the quaggans, skritt, hylek, grawl, and ogres.

Largos have a much higher chance – aesthetically, culturally, and among the player base – at becoming playable than the lesser races (which have a 0% chance).

1. The Charr may probably be interested in the Canthan resources and military control of that area.
  2. Cantha didn’t have any contact with other cultures and civilizations for over 250 years. If they were to have the same military technology with the Charr, they would at least have some contact with the Charr.
  3. Cantha is loosely based and inspired by many east Asian cultures. The Charr is mostly inspired by Roman military structure and the Industrial Revolution. ArenaNet don’t make exactly replicas of real life cultures, but they based and inspired by them
  1. Doubtful. The charr are most interested in proving their worth on their own. They don’t go trying to take asuran tech secrets to incorporate into their own, they figure out how to have the same or similar effects without such. And besides, the charr would have no idea how militarily advanced Cantha is.
  2. Says who? Tyria haven’t heard of them in 150 years, and 50 years prior, give or take, they went isolationist from Tyria. Nothing says that they haven’t re-opened their borders and made contact with Elona or other places. Besides this, two cultures can develop in similar manners without contacting each other – and technically, I was saying that Canthans would be past the charr’s stages (just not by much).
  3. Exactly – based and inspired by. So nothing says that this is reason to believe the charr would go after Cantha.

They have no reason to spearhead that effort. But if their allies are already going to those lands, they would have a reason to go. It would be new resources that could shift the balance of power.

Presuming that Cantha has resources anymore, and haven’t fallen into economical depression where they struggle to get enough firewood to warm up the Emperor’s personal chamber in the winter.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I have a theory that our “Personal Nemesis” is actually tied into the coming Canthan expansion. (Assuming the expansion IS about Cantha.)

The background is that, after hundreds of years of isolationism, a new Emperor has come to power in Cantha. This one is outwards-looking, but not in a beneficent way. Rather, he’s a human supremacist who recalls tales of the other human kingdoms across the sea and decides it’s time to bring them into the fold of the glorious Dragon Empire. While he builds and prepares his armies for the coming war, he has sent agent provocateurs across the sea to sow discord and internal strife to make things easier for the conquest.

One of these agents has come to Tyria. After assessing the situation, this “silver-tongued” agent has decided to weaken the existing nations by manipulating rogue factions into attacking them. Thus, she encouraged the Flame Legion and Dredge to form the Molten Alliance with the intention of weakening the Norn and Charr, and she’s now encouraged the Aetherblades to try to make a bid for power on the Captain’s Council in order to control one of the foremost trading empires on the continent and possibly worsen relations with Divinity’s Reach. (She didn’t have any input on Southsun Cove, deeming such a “holiday resort” to be of no interest to her Emperor.)

Her ultimate goal is to keep the existing nations harried and weakened so that when the Canthan armies arrive, they’ll have an easier time at conquest.

The Canthan expansion will thus probably start with a Living Story event lasting several months where we fight off advance scouts from the Canthan army attempting to gain footholds on Tyria. It will culminate in a massive invasion of Lion’s Arch where we have to repel waves of attacks. During this time, we combat our Personal Nemesis, but she escapes and flees back to Cantha.

Once the event is over, the players are then ready to head to Cantha to put an end to the Emperor’s warmongering by becoming guerilla agents themselves. The Tengu, seeing this as a chance to reclaim their ancestral homelands, end their own isolationism and become a playable race. (My personal hoped-for second playable race, the Naga, may become available upon reaching Cantha’s shores.)

Ultimately we discover that the Emperor himself is a puppet of the Elder Dragons (a 7th Elder Dragon based in Cantha), possibly even a Dragon’s Champion, which ties the entire story back into the war against the Elder Dragons.

Alternatively, we could turn the story on its head and make it so the Emperor has somehow managed to subdue and imprison the Celestial Elder Dragon, siphoning off its power to grant him unimaginable personal power. The players must defeat him and free the Celestial Elder Dragon, gaining a powerful ally and patron for the war against the other Elder Dragons.

in Lore

Gandarel.5091

Too many players want to go back to Cantha. And I doubt that they want to go back to slaughter Canthans and destroy the things they loved in GW1. That already happened with Ascalon, if they do the same with Cantha, players will just riot and quit the game for sure, losing every faith in ArenaNet.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Presuming that Cantha has resources anymore, and haven’t fallen into economical depression where they struggle to get enough firewood to warm up the Emperor’s personal chamber in the winter.

I figured that goes without saying. We know very little about present day Cantha :P

in Lore

Lokheit.7943

Konig you made a double post :P

“About races, I’d say there’s only four races seen thus far in GW2 that have a possibility of becoming playable, however small:
Kodan, which I’d give to be about 20% chance”

Btw you give your %s a bit too optimistic.

Djinn -99999%.
Largos 0.1%.
Kodan 1%.
Tengu 99%.

I agree that his Djinn percentages are far too optimistic (and Zommortos wouldn’t make any sense any more if every player could play as a creature with his same racial features), but Largos have faaaaaar more ingredients to be playable than Kodan. Or to put it in a different way, Kodan have more ingredients to NOT be playable than Largos.

Among the races currently in the game, only Tengu are more probable (and they’re a sure thing) than Largos for playability.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

…I’ll bite. Why do you rate Djinni so high? That’s about the only surprise in this list.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )