Dwarves in Expansion?

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Kaine.3501

Kaine.3501

They can’t all be dead….can they? Surely there is a tribe somewhere….

Server: Kaineng
Name: “Kaide” (Kaine is just the account name)

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

There is one dwarf alive that you meet during the norn warrior personal story.

Other than that, they’re pretty much dead. Would have to be a big tribe to explain that the world is suddenly full of dwarves again.

One – Piken Square

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

There’s a living breathing dwarf? Seriously? As in dwarf the race in GW? Maybe that’s a memory or something like that, not really alive.

Because as far GW lore is concerned, all dwarves sacrificed themselves to turn into stone so they can battle the destroyers, research about how to defeat the elder dragons without worrying of getting killed. (Spoiler already here…)

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Tom Gore.4035

Except one.

One – Piken Square

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: grimpiggy.6301

grimpiggy.6301

I’m fine with no Dwarves and most people are more concerned about playing as
Skirtt, Hylek, Centaurs, and Tengu. Mostly Tengu and Skritt from what I know.

Hyleks for the win.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Tom Gore.4035

I’d say Tengu is almost a certain player race in an expansion. When GW2 goes to Asian market at the latest.

One – Piken Square

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: HERO.2057

HERO.2057

Playing as Skritt would be weird, since they have a hive mind type, we could get a special buff that increased power and intellect whenever we were next to another Skritt player ^^

Electronic Empire [eE]
———
Commander of Blacktide

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

SPOILER

Ogden StoneHealer is a living member of the Durmand Priory, he is made out of stone tho

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

(edited by Moderator)

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Ogden Stonehealer was a dwarf hero you had along in the original Guild Wars. I always had him as my personally healer. When the dwarves later on went underground to deal with the Destroyers and slow Primordius’ awakening (They did not know Primordius was there, but they slowed his awakening anyway)

He turned into stone as well. He’s a member of the Durmand Priory, and you also see him in the start of Arah Exploreable.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Shael.4703

I’m fine with no Dwarves and most people are more concerned about playing as
Skirtt, Hylek, Centaurs, and Tengu. Mostly Tengu and Skritt from what I know.

Skritt?!! I’d rather play Quaggan, Coo!!

I’d say Tengu is almost a certain player race in an expansion. When GW2 goes to Asian market at the latest.

What the heck does that mean? O.O Almost everyone who played GW1 wants to play a tengu, it isn’t an Asian thing. Many of us are from Asean (formerly known as “South-East Asia”) and Middle-East, we are all “Asian(s)”. GW2 is the “in-thing” here.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Johnny Boi.4980

Johnny Boi.4980

I always wondered the same thing :o I’m sure not ALL of the dwarves stayed to sacrifice themselves. They are confident and all that, but I believe they don’t all have courage of steel. At least a few probably scurried away back to some hideout I bet you!

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: iPhoenixi.4793

iPhoenixi.4793

They’re alive, yet labeled a dying race based on the fact that they can’t reproduce

They had all gone the rite of the Great Dwarf to be turned into stone. (Ogden Stonehealer to be the last one to do so) So where are they? Under the depths of Tyria stilling fighting the destroyers or perhaps a new monster against the Elder Dragon that still slumbers underneath the earth.

I’d take a gander and say when we do face that dragon (perhaps in an expansion?) the dwarves would make yet another appearance. Don’t hold your breath though. There’s a certain romance in having a race sacrificing themselves for the greater good of all.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: kgptzac.8419

kgptzac.8419

I think I read somewhere saying not all dwarves underwent the rite. Mainly the Deldrimor dwarves did, but let’s remember the Stone Summit would have no interest of doing so. Let’s remember Slaver’s Exile plot taken place after the main plot of EotN is finished. In theory there may be organic dwarves somewhere, most likely the descendent of Stone Summit dwarves.

a shard of crystal in the desert.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Sajuuk Khar.1509

Sajuuk Khar.1509

I think I read somewhere saying not all dwarves underwent the rite. Mainly the Deldrimor dwarves did, but let’s remember the Stone Summit would have no interest of doing so. Let’s remember Slaver’s Exile plot taken place after the main plot of EotN is finished. In theory there may be organic dwarves somewhere, most likely the descendent of Stone Summit dwarves.

I recall it being mentioned somewhere that eventually ALL Dwarves underwent the right, even the Stone Summit.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

I recall it being mentioned somewhere that eventually ALL Dwarves underwent the right, even the Stone Summit.

IIRC a bunch of stone summit fight you right before you do the rite.

Also slavers exile can only be done after you beat the game because story wise the stone summit leader duncan the black wants to use the great destroyers death as a power source.

Essentially if the stone summit are gone its because we murdered them all. Good job hero!

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: mattbrowne.7608

mattbrowne.7608

The stone summit should be all gone, as far as I know. And dwarves, at least in Tyria the continent, all undergone the rite at some point. Ogden is proof of that, since he was reluctant at taking it back in GW1 (he even said it in a dialogue) but he somehow in those 250 years took it. There’s the possibility that, just like human or tengu, dwarves have colonies in other places, but that’s doubtful as there are no records whatsoever of that and we know a great deal about dwarf lore.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Sajuuk Khar.1509

Sajuuk Khar.1509

IIRC a bunch of stone summit fight you right before you do the rite.

Also slavers exile can only be done after you beat the game because story wise the stone summit leader duncan the black wants to use the great destroyers death as a power source.

And Ogdhen stayed normal for some time to aid the heroes for awhile, but eventually, even he turned to stone.

Whatever remnants of the stone summit that existed past Duncan’s death were eventually turned.

(edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509)

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Tom Gore.4035

What the heck does that mean? O.O Almost everyone who played GW1 wants to play a tengu, it isn’t an Asian thing.

Oh yes, it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu

One – Piken Square

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

I’m not 100% positive on this because its a vauge memory but i beleef Ogden Stonehealer was talking about: him being the last dwarf that lives in the light

Now like i said i’m not sure but i think he also said something like: “the rest of my race lives deep underground fighting the dragons from below”.

Now i’m going to look at this when i’m back from work (A) but also on the wiki it states:

“As of 1325 AE, Ogden Stonehealer is the last dwarf interacting with the surface”.

But then it follows with: “and last known living dwarf”.

Source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dwarf

Now this could lead to speculation that there is the possibilty of dwarfs living deep below the surface.

rambling mode on
Now i’m going on a crazy rambling brainstorm tought, the name Ogden <bold>Stonehealer</bold> might point at the fact that he can undo the curse/blessing of being transformed into stone?
/off

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

I’m not 100% positive on this because its a vauge memory but i beleef Ogden Stonehealer was talking about: him being the last dwarf that lives in the light

Now like i said i’m not sure but i think he also said something like: “the rest of my race lives deep underground fighting the dragons from below”.

Now i’m going to look at this when i’m back from work (A) but also on the wiki it states:

“As of 1325 AE, Ogden Stonehealer is the last dwarf interacting with the surface”.

Now this could lead to speculation that there is the possibilty of dwarfs living deep below the surface.

rambling mode on
Now i’m going on a crazy rambling brainstorm tought, the name Ogden <bold>Stonehealer</bold> might point at the fact that he can undo the curse/blessing of being transformed into stone?
/off

Ree Soesbee basicly confirmed that all the dwarves eventually underwent the ritual. They felt compeled to apparently.

As for Ogden, I doubt his last name has that much relivance since it was his name in GW1 prior to any dwarf turning to stone. It probably was reference to the fact he was a monk and a healer. For those who dont know Ogden was a recruitable hero in Eye of the North in GW1.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Quetz.4389

Quetz.4389

If you stick around after the norn storyline where they defend the priory you can speak with Ogden Stonehammer and he says there are more dwarves fighting deep beneath the surface

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Dwarves arent dead either…they gave up their flesh and blood to become stone in GW1…they are more down in the depth of the planet now.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

RaZaC.1963

I’d love to see a return of the dwarfs, tho it’ll probably not happen soon.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

Why is everyone questioning if dwarfs can make a comeback simply because they turned themselves to stone?

Sylvari are walking trees! Trees! The day I can tolerate walking talking bits of shrubbery is the day I can accept rocks having children!

And who really knows where baby dwarfs come from anyway? What if they have been hopping out of rocks this entire time and we just didn’t know? I mean really think about it.

You gotta keep hope alive! The day of the dwarf will come!

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

I hope we get to meet some of these stone dwarves though, an underground quest line would be awesome.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

RaZaC.1963

I’m not doubting it i’m just not sure whether it’ll be in the first expantsion, the second expantsion or the thrid expantsion ^^. Yes i’m calling it now we’ll have 3 expantsion over 3-4 year.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Karast.1927

I’m not doubting it i’m just not sure whether it’ll be in the first expantsion, the second expantsion or the thrid expantsion ^^. Yes i’m calling it now we’ll have 3 expantsion over 3-4 year.

My bet is we’ll see an expansion for each dragon. So we might not see any dwarfs or dwarfy stuff till they move onto the fire dragon.

They already go a lot of Tengu stuff in the game though so we might see Tengu first.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Zardar.7508

Zardar.7508

Im playing a norn necromancer with Durmand Priory and there is one last dwarf on surface to share the tale about what happened to the rest of the dwarves which is that they are deep underground fighting primordus…So we can hope for an expansion with dwarves cause not all dwarves are dead,just busy fighting the DESTROYER.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

At the end of the personal story, an NPC states there’s only one dwarf left – she’s a member of the Durmand Priory.

So it’s unlikely there will be more dwarves in an expansion.

@Karast: I really hope we don’t get 1 expansion for 1 dragon (or rather, I hope we don’t focus on only one dragon per expansion). I’m personally hoping we get 2 or 3 dragons in the first expansion (Kralk, Jormag, and possibly Primordus) – then we can go and take out other threats – like Joko, the DSD, and other lands (Cantha?).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

RaZaC.1963

At the end of the personal story, an NPC states there’s only one dwarf left – she’s a member of the Durmand Priory.

So it’s unlikely there will be more dwarves in an expansion.

@Karast: I really hope we don’t get 1 expansion for 1 dragon (or rather, I hope we don’t focus on only one dragon per expansion). I’m personally hoping we get 2 or 3 dragons in the first expansion (Kralk, Jormag, and possibly Primordus) – then we can go and take out other threats – like Joko, the DSD, and other lands (Cantha?).

Well the last remaining dwarf on the surface states that the other dwarfs are fighting underground to fight or something… I’d rather beleef him

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

When’s this said?

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Shael.4703

What the heck does that mean? O.O Almost everyone who played GW1 wants to play a tengu, it isn’t an Asian thing.

Oh yes, it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu

I wasn’t referring to the tengu itself, rather the implied that only asians want to be tengus :p

Makes more sense. Ogden is the last (stone) dwarf on the surface while the rest are in the bowels of the world contain the destroyers.

Seriously? That kind of killed the dwarf lore. We were told that all of them turned to stone, chose it, unified in it. Even the stone summit, some were killed, some also felt the need. It’s in their “DNA”, like a calling, that dwarves have to go back to being the Great Dwarf.

And if there’s a female organic dwarf… and somewhere there’s a male organic dwarf too… they can’t reproduce?

Makes this very interesting, if there is indeed an organic female dwarf living.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I think you misunderstood me Shael. The NPC is a female charr in the Priory. The last dwarf she talked about was Ogden. She never contradicts all the dwarves turning to stone – it just sounds like all of them sans Ogden has died fighting destroyers.

Dear ANet writers,

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Karast.1927

I don’t think they are all dead, else-wise we’d be getting swarmed with destroyers wouldn’t we? Whatever forces they were holding back would be flooding the surface world.

But if the dev’s want them to make a return they will. No matter what happens I am fairly sure we’ll see more of them. Otherwise why would they have put Ogden in as an npc. If dwarfs were gone for good there would be very little need to.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: MunkeeBreath.9165

MunkeeBreath.9165

they all arent dead. they underwent the transformation in gw1 to fight the destroyers and hold them back from ever reaching the surface via means of the shiverpeak mountains. you just dont see them because they are WAY down there. im pretty sure were gonna meet them in an expansion because we need to kill primordus and im positive the dwarves are involved. ogden is the only one on the surface helping the durmand priory.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Fighting the destroyers for 200 years since Primordus’ awakening, and the Elder Dragon has managed to send his minions up to at least six different places since (Brisban Wildlands, Kessex Hills, Lornar’s Pass, Timberline Falls, Mount Maelstrom, and wherever the Destroyer of Life was in Edge of Destiny – somewhere along the Tarnished Coast near Rata Sum).

Their numbers are sure to have dwindled, so there are likely few left. Especially if Primordus ever gets more attention on the surface.

Dear ANet writers,

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

I certainly hope Kilroy is still around. If not I have to spent some time with him in GW1. Bromance forever.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: nassaya.7109

nassaya.7109

I certainly hope Kilroy is still around. If not I have to spent some time with him in GW1. Bromance forever.

I recall seeing killroy’s tomb somewhere. Surely it’s on the wiki somewhere.

Nassaya Shadowheart lvl. 80 Necro
Nassaya Fireheart lvl. 80 Ele
Far Shiverpeaks – Guardians of the Dutch [GOTD]

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

Nothing is on the wiki so far, except some necklace named after him. I haven’t seen anything like this in the game myself and I certainly hope I never will.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tomb_of_Stoneskin

Doesn’t really mean Kilroy’s tomb, could be his family’s tomb, and it’s obviously mispelled.

Dear ANet writers,

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Thank you for showing me this, Buddha. It is now favorited.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Dhraiden.9215

Dhraiden.9215

rambling mode on
/off

Hmmmm! That would be a really good way for them to bring back the Dwarves Maybe every-time a Stone Dwarf is destroyed, since that which is no longer living can-not die, the Stone-healer pioneered/discovered/developed-with-the-Priory a way to return that Dwarf’s spirit to a new statue (“body”). Hmm hmm hmm…

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: MakeitNeil.4561

MakeitNeil.4561

We could see Dwarves in the next expansion. Remember that the Guild Wars developers like to add new continents overall. Furthermore, there are a nice couple of Dwarves still alive in the caverns underneath Tyria. Almost all of them are preserved into stone though. Who knows, perhaps the Dwarves will make a great awakening in the next expansion.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

Spoiler!!!!!

They are actively fighting off Destroyer’s attempt to break out into the surface far more north then where we can currently explore. I think this would create for an excellent playable race, they have the racial enemy, a great story line, and don’t tell me there isn’t some sort of magic that can turn them back from stone.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Spoiler!!!!!

They are actively fighting off Destroyer’s attempt to break out into the surface far more north then where we can currently explore. I think this would create for an excellent playable race, they have the racial enemy, a great story line, and don’t tell me there isn’t some sort of magic that can turn them back from stone.

Sadly, the developers have already said that the dwarves aren’t going to be a playable race, because they are trying to stay away from typical fantasy races. It’s the same reason we have the Sylvari instead of elves.

We will still probably see them as a future npc race though. Whenever we get around to going into the Depths of Tyria.

Dwarves in Expansion?

in Lore

Posted by: Supercharged.8914

Supercharged.8914

In stone = Possible ways to returning them to original form through magic.
Dead = Much fewer and lesser possible ways. Maybe none?

Invigorate [Dx]

“ANET needs to make defending in WVW more rewarding!”