Gw2 Lore So Far, Recap?

Gw2 Lore So Far, Recap?

in Lore

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

I’ve been away from game for about a bit more than a year, and as a fan of the story and lore, I’ve been trying to catch up on what’s missed. So far, research and digging around has been difficult and I’m only catching glimpses, overviews, trailers, some gameplay video, speculation and stuff, sorry I’ve been unable to find anything!

Is there anywhere with a nicely compiled full recap/timeline and some decent detail about the actual lore implications in the past seasons/episodes (what we already know)? Or is there anyone who can fill me in personally? Should we have an official or pinned thread with a brief recap and lore talk if there isn’t any already?

Any links or anything would help!

Thanks!

(edited by takatsu.9416)

Gw2 Lore So Far, Recap?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I’m sure someone else will come along with the long version, but… short version? Scarlet Briar- the much hated antagonist of Season 1- brought all her forces to bear and wiped out Lion’s Arch so she could mess with a ley line beneath the city. We killed her, but her tampering still sufficed to awaken a sixth Elder Dragon, the jungle dragon Mordremoth. Season 2 started with us heading into the Wastes and discovering Mordremoth’s minions (and the crashed Zephyrites) then rallying the races to face them, with the mid-season finale seeing the Pale Tree grievously wounded and left slipping in and out of consciousness, a state of affairs that’s ongoing. The second half of the season had us leapfrogging between helping the Pact with their push west and investigating a vision the Tree gave us before she succumbed. Two major revelations resulted: that the Zephyrites were carrying one of Glint’s eggs, which Caithe made off with for reasons unknown, and that the sylvari were meant to be Mordremoth’s minions- Caithe’s secret, presumably the one that Scarlet discovered. The latter, and the fact that nightmare husks, hounds, and the Shadow of the Dragon have been seen in the Mordrem ranks has stirred much speculation (and controversy) but facts are still pretty thin on the ground. The season ended with a teaser, showing the assembled Pact fleet taking the fight to Mordremoth’s home ground without us and facing absolute disaster there when many of the sylvari (but not Trahearne) turned on them, and the announcement that the story will pick up in a boxed expansion coming sometime more or less soon. We also found a cave sealed by the Forgotten, as well as in the teaser beings popularly believed to be the mursaat coming to GW2. Nothing’s confirmed yet, but this suggests that if nothing else the elder races and the last dragonrise will be important to some degree or another.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

Gw2 Lore So Far, Recap?

in Lore

Posted by: shadowfanatik.5160

shadowfanatik.5160

personally i liked scarlet, but other than that yeah exactly what he said

Raak Bloodmaw

Gw2 Lore So Far, Recap?

in Lore

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

Awesome, thanks so much for the recap! Yeah I left just before Scarlet began her finale, just a bit after the Tower of Nightmares stuff. (I’m not sure if I can remember the significance of that thing either) I feel bad that I’m asking questions here, but even playing the new maps and stuff hasn’t yielded that much info on what I missed (or I don’t know how to get to it). Few questions if I may:

- Do we know what Scarlet did or attempted to do with the ley line?
- How was the Pale Tree wounded? By the awakening or what we did?
- What was in the Pale Tree’s vision briefly?
- So as we all had speculated the Sylvari is linked to Mordy, anything on the difference between them and the Nightmare Court?
- Approaching Mordy, the Sylvari Pact members turned on the rest of the forces? Is this due to Mord’s corruption/influence?
- What’s this Divine Fire stuff from?

Forgotten and Mursaat is particularly of utmost interest! Yeah I’m looking forward to the expansion. Can’t wait for the sea dragon stuff either!

Thanks for the info!

(edited by takatsu.9416)

Gw2 Lore So Far, Recap?

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

We know that Scarlet was hearing a voice in her head, and that it seemed to twist her behavior. Beyond that, it’s really only inferences piecing things together, but we think she was being influenced by Mordremoth, to send him breakfast in bed.

Actually, the Shadow of the Dragon attacked a summit being held in the Grove- racial leaders meeting to be convinced to send forces to support the Pact. It and the Mordrem did a number on the Pale Tree.

It led us to the egg, but here it is in full: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNHy65Fo3sI

Not yet, just a lot of guesses and speculation.

That is the assumption, but it was only a teaser. We can’t know for sure yet.

If you played Guild Wars 1, it was the blessing that let us access the final trial of Ascension. We got it in this game as a work around to get into the forgotten-sealed cave, since we didn’t have the key, and in the process we found it had a negative effect on the Mordrem- it scared a group off, and later it helped constrain and kill the Shadow of the Dragon.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

Gw2 Lore So Far, Recap?

in Lore

Posted by: Xukavi.4320

Xukavi.4320

1) What we know was that there was a major Ley Line hub underneath Lion’s Arch. Scarlet attacked Lion’s Arch with her forces to use a machine (a giant floating platform with a HUGE drill attached) in order to temper with the Ley Lines. At the end we defeated Scarlet but her device kept on working ending up drilling into the lake in Lion’s Arch and disturbing the Ley Lines in what we could see in a cutscene. The cutscene showed us a surge from the ley line heading towards the Maguuma Jungle waking up what was later to be revealed as Mordremoth the 6th Elder Dragon. We also found out later in Season 2 that she was under the influence of Mordremoth.

2) In the mid season finale of season 2 it was decided that we would gather all ther leaders of the playable races at the Pale Tree for a World Summit to convince them to join forces together to face Mordremoth as he was the biggest threat to us all. Each of the leaders said they had bigger problems until the Summit was attacked by Mordremoth’s Champion The Shadow of the Dragon (this is the same dragon from the sylvari tutorial fight). The dragon champion severely damaged the roots of the Pale Tree leaving her barely conscious after we had repelled the attack which leads to her giving us a vision.

3) You can watch the Pale Tree vision on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59WJuZLjxTo

4) At the end of season 2 it’s revealed that they were indeed intended to be the minions of Mordremoth and this was a secret kept between the Pale Tree and Caithe. Its assumed but not confirmed yet, that the Nightmare is linked somehow to Mordremoth. We know that the Dream served as a protection for the Sylvari from Mordremoth’s corruption and being severed from the Dream makes you vulnerable to his corruption (this might need confirmation on my part though, but that’s what I understood).

5) We don’t know exactly why they turned on us though knowing that Sylvari were intended to be dragon minions for Mordy and the Pale Tree being weakened from the attack rendering her protection somehow less effective, its safe to assume they were corrupted when the attack happened.

6) As said above, Divine Fire was from GW1 which let players Ascend. We comepleted a similar right that allowed us to gain this Divine Fire and used it to access the sealed Forgotten cave.

Some video’s worth watching:

-We managed to find where Scarlet was working in Dry Top and found Omadd’s Machine which we used to see Scarlet’s Vision when she used it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQGGytoNXk8

-The cutscene at the end of season 2 which shows the failed attack on Mordy by the Pact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRRfS9Gp0xQ

- The cutscene afterwards that shows what’s to be expected in the expansion of Heart of Thorns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJfXl_4mivw

Hope this helps.

Elyas Wolfbane – Ranger, Xukavi – Thief

Gw2 Lore So Far, Recap?

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Xukavi’s right. I completely blanked on it earlier, but the Pale Tree did come right out and say that she believes Scarlet was being influenced by Mordremoth.

To expand on Xukavi’s point 4, as they mentioned, the working theory we developed through S2 is that being Soundless opens up sylvari to being corrupted, on the basis that we were led to believe that the two sylvari we did see turn (Scarlet and a saboteur named Aerin) were functionally Soundless. The ending cutscene, that shows sylvari turning in bulk in the fleet, casts doubt on that assumption- as things stand we don’t know if it was because the Pale Tree’s protection lessened with her injury, or if the protection just isn’t enough if you get too close to Mordremoth, or if the Soundless thing was just a coincidence, a red herring, and has nothing to do with this mess. Hopefully we’ll see the answers in the expansion.

Gw2 Lore So Far, Recap?

in Lore

Posted by: Age.4190

Age.4190

The human race would never agree to allow the Charr to occupy (sp) Ascalon and it would be restored by now .Rin,Drascir and Ascalon would all be rebuilt.

Bring Back Original GW Support and Restore.Remeber this

Gw2 Lore So Far, Recap?

in Lore

Posted by: Temujin.7356

Temujin.7356

HEY GUILD WARS 2 !! Hi guys, so much to cover as GW1 had an overwhelming spillage of lore but I think some easy fixes are: 1) TONICS yes those wonderful tonics everyone had in gw1 would fix that carving people have of wanting to play as a Tengu, Kodan, Largos, Dredge etc… 2)WIZARD’S TOWER A GUILD HALL OR DUNGEON now that we have hang-gliders….. 3)BONUS MISSION PACK for the not-so big expansion and back stories such as LIVIA’S DISCOVERY OF THE STAFF OF MISTS or stories about our beloved henchmen/heroes 4)AN EXPANSION PACK FOR EVERY DRAGON where we can play as a new race or class (paragon cough cough) exclusively for that area of the map. Hey thanks for reading and pass it along. ARENANET I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING!!! —Brigid Brigantia, uncorrupted Sylvari Warrior and fan since GW1 day 1. p.s.-- make wooden potatoes a kodan tonic trader and matt visual (ma’at vizu al) an largos tonic trader. They both have alot of guild wars 2 videos on you tube. respect.

Gw2 Lore So Far, Recap?

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Are you okay there buddy? You seem to have a very sticky shift key.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.