LS2 Ep 3, Rytlock > Foefire

in Lore

Posted by: DraconicDak.9340

DraconicDak.9340

It’s worth pointing out that the purpose of the Foefire may have not been simply to kill Charr; killing the Charr around the city was only a “fortunate” side effect.

Considering how mad Adelbern was, cornered, resourceless, and utterly determined not to lose, his intent for the curse was to ensure his forces would fight forever, just so that the Charr couldn’t declare a total victory. Considering that the “Foefire soldiers” effect was much wider and more effective than the “kill Charr” effect – Frye was right there and wasn’t even killed!

Just a thought.

Member of I Can Outtweet a Centaur! [TWIT] | Writer for Under the Pale Tree
twitguild.enjin.com | thepaletree.net
Jade Quarry [JQ]

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

yeah, if i recall the intent was keeping the ascalonians from fleeing, by binding the whole freaking nation to this world after death.

“retreat? retreat is not an option!”

he wasn’t trying to kill charr as much as he was forcing ascalonians to keep on fighting… forever.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

i’d like to think trahearne would accidentally catch on fire from clinking both swords together.

That’s for the next season, what are you? A Seer?!

i’m actually glint.

“Look behind you, the sand is now diamonds.”

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

i’d like to think trahearne would accidentally catch on fire from clinking both swords together.

That’s for the next season, what are you? A Seer?!

i’m actually glint.

“Look behind you, the sand is now diamonds.”

Pssh, make them Charged Lodestones and I’ll take notice.

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

H’okai so, this is how it will go down…

• Rytlock: “I free you from this curse!”.
  • Zombie Rurik’s ghost appears on the Ring of Fire Islands (the Lich’s curse finally wears off).
  • Rurik floats back to Ascalon and proceeds to /facepalm.
  • King Adelbern and Prince Rurik duke it out.
  • Duke Barradin finally loses it.
  • They destroy each other.
  • Player characters zerg against Ascalonian Ghosts like crazy to reach Sohothin.
  • Kormir arrives to grant them peace and take all the credit.
  • Eir arrives carrying Magdaer.
  • Trahearne appears just before the end of season cut scene, clinks the swords together and becomes a god-like being imbued with the power of the swords.
  • Players get a few silver and some Bloodstone Dust.
  • -fin-

Brilliant, I would play that. It just needs a final scene of Destiny’s Edge walking towards the sunset, while the main character stands somewhere to the side, shrugging.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

>Tribal societies aren’t valid
>Grawl aren’t sentient

-Why?
-Of course they are. We accept quests from them.

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

The glaring hole in the Barradin theory is that he is cursed as well. Hopefully he will take the sword and simply decapitate the Charr that hands it to him. Those ghosts aren’t rational in our reality, they are stuck in theirs. Not that it will matter.
(…)

Ley lines will be involved.

Not all ghosts. In novel “Ghosts of Ascalon” the “Claw rescue team” meets a friendly ghost who has not gone insane. In fact, he even helps by stopping his ghastly crazy comrades for some time.

However, I smell Leylines involvement, too.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Not all ghosts. In novel “Ghosts of Ascalon” the “Claw rescue team” meets a friendly ghost who has not gone insane. In fact, he even helps by stopping his ghastly crazy comrades for some time.

Wasn’t that because said ghost was created by someone dying BEFORE the Foefire rather than being killed by it?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Ronin.7381

yeah, if i recall the intent was keeping the ascalonians from fleeing, by binding the whole freaking nation to this world after death.

he wasn’t trying to kill charr as much as he was forcing ascalonians to keep on fighting… forever.

It was also to rob the Charr of their would-be accomplishment. He was a big dunce and should have taken the advice of his son.

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Wasn’t that because said ghost was created by someone dying BEFORE the Foefire rather than being killed by it?

Indeed. But who said all the ghosts in present Tyria were created by Foefire, though?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

It was also to rob the Charr of their would-be accomplishment. He was a big dunce and should have taken the advice of his son.

well yeah. they can’t claim ascalon if there are ghosts everywhere.

i don’t think anyone is arguing that adelbern is an insert insult about the exit point of the digestive system :P

in Lore

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

I don’t think the curse Rytlock is talking about is the Foefire. I’m sure there are other curses in Ascalon. The trailer also doesn’t appear he is in AC when he releases the curse which is where he has to be to do it.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

I don’t think the curse Rytlock is talking about is the Foefire. I’m sure there are other curses in Ascalon. The trailer also doesn’t appear he is in AC when he releases the curse which is where he has to be to do it.

if ascalon has other curses, they’re news to us. especially if they happen to be nationwide curses that happen to require a certain flaming sword.

in Lore

Silvercyclone.1462

if ascalon has other curses, they’re news to us. especially if they happen to be nationwide curses that happen to require a certain flaming sword.

The sword is a sort of symbol for Ascalon so maybe its like a master key of sorts that can break many curses within Ascalon. Its also possible that the sword took part in more than 1 curse within Ascalon. Also the Foefire curse requires both swords and I only recall seeing 1 within the trailer. Even when the camera zooms out from when he releases the curse you only see 1 sword.

(edited by Silvercyclone.1462)

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

The sword is a sort of symbol for Ascalon so maybe its like a master key of sorts that can break many curses within Ascalon. Its also possible that the sword took part in more than 1 curse within Ascalon. Also the Foefire curse requires both swords and I only recall seeing 1 within the trailer.

again: what other curses?

and Eir has the other sword. and she appears on the trailer.

in Lore

DraconicDak.9340

“Sohothin as master key of all Ascalon curses” requires more presumptions than “Rytlock attempts to break the Forefire curse”!

And no, the Foefire curse does not require both swords, not according to the prophecy. The prophecy says either.

It may require both, as curses are tricky, but as of now that’s merely a guess.

Jade Quarry [JQ]

in Lore

Silvercyclone.1462

Another reason this cannot be the foefire curse is Rytlock is not in AC which is where the curse has to be broken. The area matches up with Barradin’s Vaults. Even in the trailer the coffins match up to what is inside the vaults.

in Lore

DraconicDak.9340

Another reason this cannot be the foefire curse is Rytlock is not in AC which is where the curse has to be broken. The area matches up with Barradin’s Vaults. Even in the trailer the coffins match up to what is inside the vaults.

That’s actually what makes it more likely it is breaking the Foefire curse. Barradin was the true King of Ascalon, not Adelbern. So Rytlock seems to be returning Sohothin to Barradin in an attempt to break the curse.

Jade Quarry [JQ]

in Lore

Silvercyclone.1462

That’s actually what makes it more likely it is breaking the Foefire curse. Barradin was the true King of Ascalon, not Adelbern. So Rytlock seems to be returning Sohothin to Barradin in an attempt to break the curse.

The curse states that they have to return to Ascalon city. Last time I checked barradin’s Vaults are not in Ascalon City but closer to Rin. Also it doesn’t make sense that to break a cure you go somewhere else other than where the curse was cast.

in Lore

DraconicDak.9340

“According to legend, if either this sword or its sister returns to the haunted remains of Ascalon City in the hands of the rightful king of Ascalon, the ghosts there will finally be laid to rest. "

If the curse’s terms indeed specify only the crumbled ruins above where Ascalon City once stood, then Rytlock still needs to get one of the swords into Barradin’s hands, first.

And please do note the prophecy itself specifies a location, not simply “returns to the origin of the Foefire.”

Jade Quarry [JQ]

in Lore

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

>Grawl aren’t sentient

-Why?

I was mocking the person I was replying to.
“>” is shortform for anecdotal quotes in other reaches of the internet. Those things are essentially what HE was arguing. I was isolating them and mocking them.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Lore

Posted by: Frosch.7809

Frosch.7809

The curse states that they have to return to Ascalon city. Last time I checked barradin’s Vaults are not in Ascalon City but closer to Rin. Also it doesn’t make sense that to break a cure you go somewhere else other than where the curse was cast.

Of course the Barradin Estate was way outside of Ascalon City. But you will see that Ascalon City was just a misinterpretation of the “prophecy”.

The recent commotion about Scarlet’s birthdate made ANet respond that any lore presented outside of the game is malleable. I don’t remember if the actual text of that “prophecy” how to lift the curse is actually ingame – but even if it is, ANet can change old lore in any way they want to, and they do. The Prophecy may say Ascalon City, but that means nothing given how lore is “malleable”. It was another human error, you will see. Unless the whole thing fails just like Trahearne’s first attempt of cleansing Orr.

I said so before, in theory anyone entering the Ascalon City ruins has an army of ghosts coming for them, as shown in Ghosts of Ascalon, while ingame it is more or less a joke and even Charr patrol through what few ruins we actually have of Ascalon City.

Selecting the Barradin vault avoids going to the Heart of the Foefire either above ground or in the catacombs, and so a lack of defending ghosts trying to kill Rytlock can be explained. You think old Adelbern wouldn’t appear with every ghost available to stop him otherwise? So conveniently we will have the leyline used for the Foefire run right through the Barradin vault. You will see.

[Yak’s Bend]

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Is it actually confirmed that he is smashing the sword in the tomb though?
We see him enter the tomb, but is there any actual confirmations that the next clip takes place down there?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

DraconicDak.9340

We see him enter the tomb, but is there any actual confirmations that the next clip takes place down there?

The part we can see in the trailer is a perfect match for Barradin’s tomb in the Charr intro instance. I haven’t checked to see if the explorable parts of Ascalon City Ruins contain the same environment model, though. They could.

Jade Quarry [JQ]

in Lore

Ronin.7381

“Sohothin as master key of all Ascalon curses” requires more presumptions than “Rytlock attempts to break the Forefire curse”!

And no, the Foefire curse does not require both swords, not according to the prophecy. The prophecy says either.

It may require both, as curses are tricky, but as of now that’s merely a guess.

I do get the feeling that Magdaer will come into play. Remember, it’s a “multi-parter” episode. Maybe Rytlock loses Sohothin and as a token of appreciation between Eir and Rytlock, she gives him Magdaer – that way the image of Rytlock with the FDS doesn’t have to change.

Although at the same time I doubt that. I’m expecting see Magdaer play into this somehow – sometime.

in Lore

DraconicDak.9340

Oh, I’m thinking Magdaer will be involved too – plot thread from AC left hanging guarantees it’ll be picked up again.

It’s just a question of how. Maybe after Zhaitan, Rytlock won’t be so hateful of the idea of Logan having it.

Jade Quarry [JQ]

in Lore

Silvercyclone.1462

I do have a feeling it is not the actual foefire curse cause that would not only change 4 maps but the entire AC dungeon as well. Also since there is a ghost buster achievement the change may be too big for GW2.

in Lore

Ronin.7381

I do have a feeling it is not the actual foefire curse cause that would not only change 4 maps but the entire AC dungeon as well. Also since there is a ghost buster achievement the change may be too big for GW2.

AC wont change because chronologically, it takes place before the defeat of Zhaitan. The Living World takes place after.

It’s the Foefire curse. The only one that the Charr really care about because it’s the only thing keeping them from what the Charr themselves believe is their birth right.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

http://www.pcgamesn.com/sites/default/files/dragonsreach.jpg

he’s definitely smashing the sword, and the place looks exactly like barradin’s tomb. i can’t think of any other place like that.

IIRC though, aren’t starter zones “living story proof”, in that no changes are supposed to happen to them? i remember something like that.

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

>Grawl aren’t sentient

-Why?

I was mocking the person I was replying to.
“>” is shortform for anecdotal quotes in other reaches of the internet. Those things are essentially what HE was arguing. I was isolating them and mocking them.

Ah, I gotcha. This should teach me to read carefully :P

in Lore

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

I look forward to this.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Obviously, Rytlock had the sword enchanted before he’s going to slam it into the ground.

Rytlock: Ascalon, I release you from this curse!
~Veins of blue light streak out of the sword as it pierces the ground, enveloping Rytlock and the Player (and Co.) in blinding light. As the light fades, Rytlock calmly picks himself off the ground, dusts off his armor, and proceeds to walk away.~
Rytlock: Well… I did my part.
Player: Ah… Rytlock? The ghosts seem to be still around.
Ghostly Warrior: Die Charr mongrels! For Ascal- GLAH!
~Rytlock blows on the end of his pistol before tucking it back into the hiding place in his armor, as his ghostly assailant slowly dissolved from the sudden head wound.~
Rytlock: Not my problem anymore.
Player: What do you mean “not your problem”? You’re the holder of Sohothin.
Rytlock: Not anymore! ~laughs~
Player: But…
Rytlock: Look. According to “the legend”, only the “rightful king”, or queen I guess, of Ascalon can break the curse with the sword. I would rather wash my hands of this whole situations, since I have more important things to do with my time.
Rytlock: So, I got the sword enchanted so only the “rightful king of Ascalon” can pick it up. And whoever does pick up the sword, this whole curse business is their problem now.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Obviously, Rytlock had the sword enchanted before he’s going to slam it into the ground.

Rytlock: Ascalon, I release you from this curse!
~Veins of blue light streak out of the sword as it pierces the ground, enveloping Rytlock and the Player (and Co.) in blinding light. As the light fades, Rytlock calmly picks himself off the ground, dusts off his armor, and proceeds to walk away.~
Rytlock: Well… I did my part.
Player: Ah… Rytlock? The ghosts seem to be still around.
Ghostly Warrior: Die Charr mongrels! For Ascal- GLAH!
~Rytlock blows on the end of his pistol before tucking it back into the hiding place in his armor, as his ghostly assailant slowly dissolved from the sudden head wound.~
Rytlock: Not my problem anymore.
Player: What do you mean “not your problem”? You’re the holder of Sohothin.
Rytlock: Not anymore! ~laughs~
Player: But…
Rytlock: Look. According to “the legend”, only the “rightful king”, or queen I guess, of Ascalon can break the curse with the sword. I would rather wash my hands of this whole situations, since I have more important things to do with my time.
Rytlock: So, I got the sword enchanted so only the “rightful king of Ascalon” can pick it up. And whoever does pick up the sword, this whole curse business is their problem now.

i could almost see this happen, if rytlock hadn’t become such a sourpuss (teehee) after edge of destiny.

in Lore

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

What if the “true heir” isn’t related to blood at all and it’s just who is the wielder to the sword and the most powerful ruler? I mean, if Rytlock were to be the new Khan-Ur he could be seen as the most powerful ruler by the curse.

in Lore

Silvercyclone.1462

The swords were made in Orr by humans for humans there is no reason why the curse would break for a Charr.

in Lore

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

The swords were made in Orr by humans for humans there is no reason why the curse would break for a Charr.

Sure there is. To further move GW2 away from being Human-centric like the original game was, as GW2, unlike the original game, has many more playable races.

in Lore

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

^ I’m not sure that really matters for GW2 ANet.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

in Lore

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I love how this new trailer took me totally by surprise, I never expected that. It would be quite ironic if Adelbern’s curse was broken by a charr of all people, poetic even! :P

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Sure there is. To further move GW2 away from being Human-centric like the original game was, as GW2, unlike the original game, has many more playable races.

i can’t tell if this is a legit (stupid) comment, or a snarky (stupid) comment on ANet shifting away from “humans did everything”.

in Lore

Ronin.7381

Again, their creation and original purpose has next to nothing to do with their application during Adelberns spell. Orr created the blades as a token of peace. Peace became meaningless when Orr was sunk into the murky depths of the Ocean.

in Lore

Vexander.9850

i can’t tell if this is a legit (stupid) comment, or a snarky (stupid) comment on ANet shifting away from “humans did everything”.

A little bit of both to be honest. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t find this nearly as offensive and detrimental to the Charr as a lot of what Blizzard does to it’s playable races. However, by the same token, I’d much rather see the Charr handle matters in their own ways, rather than in human ways. If after 250 years of fighting against the Ghosts of Ascalon, of paying for every -inch- of land gained with blood, sweat, and countless lives, it was all undone by -magic-, BY A RENOWNED CHARR HERO NO LESS, well, that just kind of shoves a gigantic middle finger into the face of the Charr race and its efforts for over two centuries.

Now, if a Human lifted the curse with the Sword? Fine. That’s how humans do things. If the Ash Legion’s network of spies and informants had uncovered the, ‘Rightful King of Ascalon,’ in the modern day and forced him to break the curse with the sword, even better. For a Charr to solve Charr problems with -magic- is just… I honestly can’t tell you how insulting it is. It’s practically going, “HEY, THOSE FLAME LEGION GUYS WERE RIGHT, MAGIC IS BETTER!”

in Lore

Ronin.7381

For a Charr to solve Charr problems with -magic- is just… I honestly can’t tell you how insulting it is. It’s practically going, “HEY, THOSE FLAME LEGION GUYS WERE RIGHT, MAGIC IS BETTER!”

Yeah but to that same token, magic isn’t a new a concept to the Charr. While you can say that they disassociated themselves from the Flame Legion, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve abadoned magic as a practice entirely – just the religion that the Flame Legion adhere to.

in Lore

Gaebriel.3754

On the other hand, it could also be interpreted as showing the Charr’s practical nature. Since vines apparently appear somewhere in Ascalon, I can imagine that they would rather not fight three very major threats: the Ascalonian ghosts, the Branded and now also Mordremoth’s minions. Sometimes desperate situations require desperate measures, here represented by a magical sword used by a race that frowns upon it.

in Lore

Ronin.7381

On the other hand, it could also be interpreted as showing the Charr’s practical nature. Since vines apparently appear somewhere in Ascalon, I can imagine that they would rather not fight three very major threats: the Ascalonian ghosts, the Branded and now also Mordremoth’s minions. Sometimes desperate situations require desperate measures, here represented by a magical sword used by a race that frowns upon it.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. Having zero to do with Ley Lines but rather the prospect of re-allocating resources. If the roots are anything to go off of, it looks like they’re taking place in Iron Marches and not the Plains. The Roots could be the, “Straw that breaks the camels back.” and inspires Rytlock to act.

in Lore

Vexander.9850

For a Charr to solve Charr problems with -magic- is just… I honestly can’t tell you how insulting it is. It’s practically going, “HEY, THOSE FLAME LEGION GUYS WERE RIGHT, MAGIC IS BETTER!”

Yeah but to that same token, magic isn’t a new a concept to the Charr. While you can say that they disassociated themselves from the Flame Legion, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve abadoned magic as a practice entirely – just the religion that the Flame Legion adhere to.

See, the thing is, Magic may not be new to the Charr, but for the past 250 years the three Legions of the Charr have actively scorned it. In the character creation, having a, ‘Sorcerous Shaman,’ as a Sire is practically the lowest of the low for a charr, worse than having an Honorless Gladium. Rytlock ending the curse with magikittenerally spits on 250 years of efforts by the Iron, Blood, and Ash Legions. In fact, it was always my personal headcanon that he refused to even -try- to end the curse with Sohothin for exactly that reason.

in Lore

Ronin.7381

In fact, it was always my personal headcanon that he refused to even -try- to end the curse with Sohothin for exactly that reason.

I agree, I thought the same. But desperate times can inspire desperate measures.

in Lore

Vexander.9850

In fact, it was always my personal headcanon that he refused to even -try- to end the curse with Sohothin for exactly that reason.

I agree, I thought the same. But desperate times can inspire desperate measures.

There are better ways to go about it than to spit on 250 years of effort. Make it more Charr! Why can’t, say, the Charr have won their war against the Flame Legion? Forced the Flame Legion to submit and rejoin Charr Society. If that were the case, breaking the curse by magic would be a way for the Flame Legion to prove itself to the other three Legions.

I just find Rytlock even -trying- to end the curse at this point to be incredibly detrimental to the Charr Race’s history and story. It’s practically admitting defeat. “We can’t do this our way. We’ll do it the Human and Flame Legion Way.”

in Lore

Gaebriel.3754

True, I thought the same, Ronin. But as a Tribunal he is also a Charr in a position of much responsibility. I would actually find it quite logical and fitting for a commanding role, if he recognized when he really has to set aside his traditions to ensure a better chance of survival for his people.

in Lore

Ronin.7381

I just find Rytlock even -trying- to end the curse at this point to be incredibly detrimental to the Charr Race’s history and story. It’s practically admitting defeat. “We can’t do this our way. We’ll do it the Human and Flame Legion Way.”

I’d argue the treaty between humans and charr did the same thing. Removing this curse by any means necessary, be it through Charr or Human standards wouldn’t save their old traditions. But change does happen and it affects every one involved.

in Lore

Vexander.9850

I’d argue the treaty between humans and charr did the same thing. Removing this curse by any means necessary, be it through Charr or Human standards wouldn’t save their old traditions. But change does happen and it affects every one involved.

The Treaty with the humans is hardly admitting defeat. Indeed, since it was Jennah, I believe, who initiated the treaty in the first place, it’s more like the Charr achieved victory. Just seems to me that this is not the way for the Charr to end the Curse of Ascalon. It spits on 250 years.