[Mild Spoilers] What was he doing?

in Lore

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

In the first chapter of Out of The Shadows, Rytlock says he had to “Take care of something, or rather tell someone he won’t be taking care of something”.

Have I missed something, because I ran through the story a second time, and couldn’t figure out what Rytlock was referring to. Is anyone aware of what Rytlock was doing in the time between the first and second chapters? What was it he had to “take care of”?

Is this even relevant, or am I reading too deeply into filler text? I can’t help but be scrutinous of Rytlock to see if the devs are leaking information about Revenants finally.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Rytlock gets mail from the Black Citadel and he just tosses them away, without really reading them.

My guess he hasn`t reported back after he disapeared in S2.

He also said that he has to decline something.

in Lore

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Rytlock gets mail from the Black Citadel and he just tosses them away, without really reading them.

My guess he hasn`t reported back after he disapeared in S2.

He also said that he has to decline something.

Ah, I see. I assumed the thing he had to do between chapters and the letter Almorrah gave him were separate things.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Rytlock also said he got two such letters before Almorra handed him one and he crumbled that one.

I think Rytlock must have quit the Blood Legions or something. That’s the feeling I get – and they are not happy about it.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Rytlock also said he got two such letters before Almorra handed him one and he crumbled that one.

I think Rytlock must have quit the Blood Legions or something. That’s the feeling I get – and they are not happy about it.

That’s my thought as well. Rytlock has probably excused himself from proper Charr society for a life on the road with our fantastic new guild. he also makes a crack about our “avoiding paperwork” when we turn down the commission as leader of the pact.

Seems like he doesn’t want to sit at a desk any more than we do.

Also opens up space for interesting flame legion political plotlines since without Rytlock in the Black Citadel its a bit more believable that some sneaky flame legion guys can get all subversive and try to retake the hierarchy.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Also opens up space for interesting flame legion political plotlines since without Rytlock in the Black Citadel its a bit more believable that some sneaky flame legion guys can get all subversive and try to retake the hierarchy.

Are you implying that Smodur is that reliant on a single Blood Legion tribune?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Plus, it’s Tribune Desertgrave’s job to keep the Flame Legion from getting all subversive.

Rytlock barely handled that side of fighting the Flame Legion. And excluding those two there is one other Blood and one other Ash tribune at the Black Citadel – excluding the Iron tribunes there.

It’s more likely that the letters are from either Imperator Bangar, or are about the ghost situation.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

PopeUrban.2578

Are you implying that Smodur is that reliant on a single Blood Legion tribune?

Nah.

I’m implying that Rytlock has plot armor and is thus, through the mysticism of GW2’s lore team, somehow more important than he logically should be.

I’m implying that the vacancy screams “HEY HERE IS A GREAT PLACE TO PUT A FLAME LEGION SPY”

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Wouldn’t be logical, given the Ash Legion’s presence and job at the Black Citadel. Their entire personal story plot is about uncovering Flame Legion spies.

And putting one suddenly in a Tribune position would be stupidly hard to reasonably pull off.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

PopeUrban.2578

Wouldn’t be logical

Are you insinuating that the GW2 plotline is based upon logic and not the writer’s notions of narrative impact?

Logical causes and outcomes are not the bedrock upon which this story has been laid for quite a while.

in Lore

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

I’d had a thought earlier today based off the last thing he was doing before his disappearance. I figure the Black Citadel wants him to finish the ritual to rid Ascalon of the foefire ghosts and with his new revenant knowledge, he knows that’s either a bad idea, or him doing it as a revenant might have bad results for him, who knows?

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Wouldn’t be logical

Are you insinuating that the GW2 plotline is based upon logic and not the writer’s notions of narrative impact?

Logical causes and outcomes are not the bedrock upon which this story has been laid for quite a while.

I am insinuating that they have been trying.

Ever since the fiasco with Scarlet, at least.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Wouldn’t be logical

I am insinuating that they have been trying.

Ever since the fiasco with Scarlet, at least.

I still imagine one day we’ll get a book that retells the Scarlet saga, except she’ll be given better characterization and whatnot, and thus Rescued From the Scrappy Heap.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I’d had a thought earlier today based off the last thing he was doing before his disappearance. I figure the Black Citadel wants him to finish the ritual to rid Ascalon of the foefire ghosts and with his new revenant knowledge, he knows that’s either a bad idea, or him doing it as a revenant might have bad results for him, who knows?

This is something I’ve been suspecting myself. He’s either been taught those skills by somebody, or he picked them up himself through getting those voices in his head. Smodur currently believes that Sohothin is the best chance to get rid of the ghosts, so it would make sense that Smodur would order Rytlock back to have another go as soon as word arrived that Rytlock had returned from the Mists.

Now, presume that Rytlock has knowledge that would be a bad idea. Presume, also, that Rytlock believes that for whatever reason Smodur won’t like his explanation – possibly because it’s coming from a voice in Rytlock’s head, he had a meeting with one of the gods or their representatives and was told that certain other conditions had to be fulfilled first, or some other reason that the Iron Legion imperator might not consider credible. Then it would make sense for Rytlock to do his best to stay away from Smodur and Ascalon in general.

The “thing he’s not taking care of” would be a second attempt at dispelling the Foefire.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.