New class - reading Patterns

in Lore

Posted by: Miroe.2054

Miroe.2054

EDIT: this might be a little misplaced in the lore section so move it if necessary, al least im mentioning cantha..

What im gonna do is looking for symmetries and coherences between the classes and from there draw a conclusion what the next class could look like.

We have: 3 Light Armor classes, 3 Medium Armor classes, 2 Heavy Armor classes
We’ll get: A Heavy Armor class

We have: 3 Harpoon Medium classes, 3 Trident Light classes, one of each can use the weapon exclusively, A Harpoon/Spear and a Trident Spear Heavy Class
We’ll get: A heavy class that only uses Spear for complexity reasons or a Trident/Harpoon class (Spear exclusive is much more likely for a heavy class)

We have: A light class that can alter its weapon skills with its class skill bar and a medium class that can alter its skills with its utilities.
We’ll get: One that can alter its weapon skills with… (whats left?) … with its weapon skills.

Weapon skills that alter weapon skills? What? Well, we already have this in our chain abilities. But here it could get more complex. Do you remember the Assassin from GW1? We had lead hand attacks, second hand attacks and dual attacks. Here an example how this could look like:

3 Sword abilities, I choose “hilt strike, which dazes the target for 1 second”

-> the 3 abilities swap for a second set of 3 abilities, the second hand attacks

I choose #2 Faint Attack – Deals X damage and makes vulnerable

-> swap for the final set of 3 abilities

Bam, final thrust – deals damage for each condition on target or whatever

Now concerning the stlyle of that new class, I tried to find another pattern. Players play classes for a certain feel they have. For each of the armor classes we have

1. one “well known fantasy class” (The warrior, the ranger, the Elementalists)

2. one class thats a bit special and off and have a certain philosophy to them (The Guardian, the Thief, the Necromancer)

3. one that that speaks to the “unique” players (The Mesmer, the Engineer… aaand our new class).

If we divide the classes in these groups, there’s one of the “complex”, no-weapon-swap classes in each group

So to put the pieces together – my prognosis for the next class:

A heavy class, that exclusively uses Melee weapons, that uses a combo system in a fancy way that sets him apart from the warrior and the guardian – maybe by using elements or ancestral power to enhance his attacks

We had a few interesting earth aligned NPCs in “Edge of the Mists” lately using Totems. Another direction this class could go would be aligned with the GW1 assassin who came up when we went to cantha. With the dominion of winds so close to the destroyed lions arch, maybe will get the new class when the dominion becomes accessible.

Did I miss something? What class would you like to see?

(edited by Miroe.2054)

in Lore

Posted by: MrCiprian.2091

MrCiprian.2091

I never played GW1 but from what I know there was a Monk as class, there’s ur mele class my gf would love to kong f.u. monsters xD

Embrace Eternal Darkness

(edited by MrCiprian.2091)

in Lore

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I know my friend is hoping they’ll bring back ritualists, except make them a heavy army prof instead of a light armor prof due to “lore reasons” (hopefully more fleshed out than that lol)

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Lore

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Given the discussions had in the latest CDI on character progression I don’t see them adding a new profession anytime soon. Comments in that CDI seemed to suggest they are more interest in ways we can grow our existing characters and not introducing new ones. Arena Net seemed receptive to a popular idea in that thread of having advanced professions (i.e., professions we pick or choose to advance our current profession into when some goal is achieved). We could still end up seeing advanced profession options like the one you suggest, such as a blademaster (warrior), paladin (guardian), ritualist (necromancer), etc.

This thread probably belongs in the general forum as it is about game mechanics not lore.

in Lore

Posted by: Archaeopteryx.7409

Archaeopteryx.7409

If it’s a new class, I’d want a ranged, non-ranged weapon wielder for close counter-acting melee combat, if you know what I mean-possibly an exclusive Spear wielder on land to counter all the bloody Warriors in PvP/WvW! Could be called a Hussar. Later on, an expansion could allow mounts for this Class and a few other ones. Just a thought

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I never played GW1 but from what I know there was a Monk as class, there’s ur mele class my gf would love to kong f.u. monsters xD

Monks were ranged healers – more akin to a real world monk (with added powers) than say a Final Fantasy Monk.

in Lore

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

Dark Knight, like an oppisite of a guardian

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

FlamingFoxx said it all. The only melee monk was Alesia.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx said it all. The only melee monk was Alesia.

Can we please make a distinction between melee and just standing really close to your enemies doing absolutely nothing. xD

in Lore

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

The rotating skill bar reminds me of Chronicles of Spellborn, (R.I.P.). While interesting, it’s not really an equivalent to weapon swapping. The same skills are available to you at all times without any extra cooldown required when you need to access new functionality. If an elementalist could access all their weapon skills without attunement swapping, they would be nigh unstoppable.

Instead of no weapon swap, how about a forced weapon swap? Or at least a heavily encouraged one.

Let’s say the first weapon set gives you “vengeance” themed weapon skills, and the second grants “ancestral” themed skills. Even if you equipped two greatswords, you would still have two completely different skill bars. Some non-weapon skills would link to this system as well.

Now, add a sliding gauge that moves back and forth between vengeance and ancestral power. Using skills of one type will move the gauge the opposite direction. Staying on one weapon set too long would net you diminishing returns while setting up for high power when you switch.

Insert some F1-4 skills that depend on and interact with the position of the gauge, and voila.

I should be writing.

(edited by Gulesave.5073)