The revenant as a profession is ignored

in Lore

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

The way you can just create the revenant as any race, to then just be put in the starter zones in the past is unacceptable.

The game’s lore and story gets borked so, so much, and we get stuck in these weird and unexplainable time bubbles.

Why give us a profession that only Rytlock knows the magic about? He too refuses to answer questions and here we have the player character as a revenant too?

It really isn’t acceptable to do it like this.

in Lore

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Because we don’t have enough of these threads already. Heres my take on the “Revenants being back-in-time” situation.

You need to make a distinction between game mechanics, and what is happening in the actual story. As we all know, the majority of Revenants are people who have already learned another profession, and are converting, so in 1325, your character is a different profession when seen in the story, but mechanically, they are a Revenant, because obviously its not possible to swap professions on a in-game mechanical basis.

For example, my character was originally a Warrior and became a soldier who went to Orr in 1325AE to battle against The Risen and Zhaitan. She kept this role for a few years before being sent to Maguuma to face Mordremoth in 1328AE, where she acquired the ability to become a Revenant.

For example, currently my Guardian is 28 years old as a character. If I decide to play my personal story, is he magically 25 again via some kind of time travel? No. Its just a part of the story that takes place at a different time. A prequel if you will.

As for Rytlock, I have to agree. I wanted to slap him when he talked down Rox for asking about his magic. Im hoping theres some kind of an extra story instance added soon where Rytlock explains some lore. I wanted to write up my Revenant character’s backstory, but I can’t, because I don’t even know how she has her magic.

in Lore

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

I’m convinced they just give things to Rytlock when they don’t want to spend time discussing them. Sohothin? Don’t ask, doesn’t matter. Revenant? Don’t ask, doesn’t matter. Herald? Don’t ask, doesn’t matter.

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

I’m convinced they just give things to Rytlock when they don’t want to spend time discussing them. Sohothin? Don’t ask, doesn’t matter. Revenant? Don’t ask, doesn’t matter. Herald? Don’t ask, doesn’t matter.

So Rytlock is every single elite specialization? Because they never gave us lore about those either (unless that comes after Act 3 in the story, if that is the case, for the love of god, don’t spoiler me!)

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

So Rytlock is every single elite specialization? Because they never gave us lore about those either (unless that comes after Act 3 in the story, if that is the case, for the love of god, don’t spoiler me!)

Sorry to disappoint. There is no Elite Specialization lore anywhere in Heart of Thorns…unless its some hidden NPC dialogue, which nobody seems to have found yet.

in Lore

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

It’s absurd how much stuff they can just " get away with" by just telling us “don’t worry about that now” and then never going back and revisiting it.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Closest thing we get to elite spec lore is the collections.

And since this is also counting as “legendary lore” I guess that’s all we’ll get. A collection to collect semi-relevant items for a weapon.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: mattmd.8162

mattmd.8162

My least favorite part of MMOs is how they have these unique classes/jobs and they don’t explain literally any of it. you’re a necromancer? Cool, you steal the souls of the dead. No one seems to care or really notice that you do this, but when a dragon does it its a HUGE DEAL. Then suddenly you learn to use a greatsword. Okay, not a big deal for you I guess.

The NPCs (that if you didn’t participate in season 1 and just magically appear as part of the story) have a better back story than you. Even better, the little pieces of backstory about your character are finished a few hours into the game. Plus any remaining character development you can control (personality) was removed.

You appear out of nowhere, kill great evil, and that’s it. I’ll give anet credit. It’s not as bad as with WoW where you literally appear fully grown out of nowhere and routinely murder world-threatening creatures only to be completely disconnected and unacknowledged in the story. But at this point that’s exactly where characters are heading. I don’t have a home, I don’t have any side stories, I have friends I’VE NEVER MET BEFORE.

I guess to sum it up my problem with it is that you as a character aren’t the focus and that sucks. There was some of that in the beginning, now there is hardly any. Ex: Charr can save their father/friend and never see them again. Why not? Isn’t that a little side thing worth pursuing or mentioning?

/end rant

in Lore

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

My least favorite part of MMOs is how they have these unique classes/jobs and they don’t explain literally any of it. you’re a necromancer? Cool, you steal the souls of the dead. No one seems to care or really notice that you do this, but when a dragon does it its a HUGE DEAL. Then suddenly you learn to use a greatsword. Okay, not a big deal for you I guess.

The NPCs (that if you didn’t participate in season 1 and just magically appear as part of the story) have a better back story than you. Even better, the little pieces of backstory about your character are finished a few hours into the game. Plus any remaining character development you can control (personality) was removed.

You appear out of nowhere, kill great evil, and that’s it. I’ll give anet credit. It’s not as bad as with WoW where you literally appear fully grown out of nowhere and routinely murder world-threatening creatures only to be completely disconnected and unacknowledged in the story. But at this point that’s exactly where characters are heading. I don’t have a home, I don’t have any side stories, I have friends I’VE NEVER MET BEFORE.

I guess to sum it up my problem with it is that you as a character aren’t the focus and that sucks. There was some of that in the beginning, now there is hardly any. Ex: Charr can save their father/friend and never see them again. Why not? Isn’t that a little side thing worth pursuing or mentioning?

/end rant

Zhaitan necromancy and player necromancy are actually two different necromancies. Players weave flesh and bone to make mindless minions, Zhaitan literally brings back the dead, soul and all, under his corruption.

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

As for Rytlock, I have to agree. I wanted to slap him when he talked down Rox for asking about his magic. Im hoping theres some kind of an extra story instance added soon where Rytlock explains some lore. I wanted to write up my Revenant character’s backstory, but I can’t, because I don’t even know how she has her magic.

I have a similar attitude. Keeping in mind that the non-revenant PC doesn’t even have the information we do, from the perspective as the de facto leader of Destiny’s Edge and the Pact, Rytlock reveals just enough to raise warning flags. He refers to sorting out voices in his head… well, the last time someone heard voices in their head, they were being influenced by Mordremoth. He’s using magic that appears to be sourced from a dragon, but while we as players know that the dragon is Glint and the PC can potentially surmise this due to the similarities between herald skills and the skills granted by the egg, Rytlock never actually states this. Not wanting to talk about it when in contact with the enemy is one thing, but it’s clear that the storyline takes place over at least a few days so there’s going to be some downtime – I would consider it grossly irresponsible for the PC not to have taken Rytlock aside at some point to find out enough about Rytlock’s new powers to identify any possible dangers associated with them.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.