What in the World Are Signets? (In lore)

in Lore

Posted by: MohawkYeah.2178

MohawkYeah.2178

Hey-o,

Can anyone explain to me what signets are in lore? Are they magically enhanced jewelry? Stones? Symbols?!

I under stand what a signet is in the real world, a seal of some sort. I’ve seen them brought up a few times in NPC conversations, but only vaguely. I as a role-play, am quite curious how these things function in the world of Tyria, if anyone has a valid explanation. I’d love to hear it! (Would love an Anet Employee to post if this hasn’t been brought up before.)

Thanks again!

in Lore

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

They´re artifact from gw1 developement, when skills were equippable rings. (8 skills also comes from that background)
Signet rings make a lot more sense, eh?

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in Lore

Posted by: MohawkYeah.2178

MohawkYeah.2178

Ah’! That does make some sense, thanks for the answer. Anyone else with an answer is welcome to add their input.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Yes, just remember that this was the past, and things are obviously much different now with skills being based on your weapon sets and such. Signets may still be that way, but there is no posted evidence of this.

in Lore

Posted by: Yata.8932

Yata.8932

well given the name and since they are mentioned by NPCs I would think it’s safe to say that it is a seal you have somewhere on your person, how you “activate” it may take some explaining, however magic is a wonderfully ambiguous thing.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I believe I recall mention that said signets are of Orrian origins – they are effectively the same as your standard fantasy signets – rings and other stones that were imbued with limited-use magical spells.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: arcqe.6734

arcqe.6734

I think this [http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Skill_Gem] gives a bit of insight as to what Anet thought signets were initially, if you’re wondering

“Skills were initially conceived as being rings, explaining why a player could only bring eight skills as well as the concept of the Signet skill type (Signets are engravings on rings).”

just a bit of info, i guess.

usually somewhere