What is Minister Caudecus' profession?

in Lore

Posted by: Stephen.6312

Stephen.6312

Does anyone know what his profession is? I’m curious as to what it might be.

in Lore

Posted by: vectorfox.6894

vectorfox.6894

Does anyone know what his profession is? I’m curious as to what it might be.

I would assume he is a mesmer like much of the other nobels although there is the point that he wasn’t able to teleport himself out and relied on Valette Wi however he may of been conserving his power or some other reason.

If its possible i would say he doesn’t have a profession or if he does he isn’t very strong and was hoping the bloodstone would be able to cover his lack of power.

in Lore

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

i know he had a sword. but im confused if he had a pistol, if so, then thief?

in Lore

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

sword and pistol could me also mesmer. someone remember the trial by combat you have with him in the personal story istance? i have done it so many times but i didn’t pay attention to his skills

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Lore

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

sword and pistol could me also mesmer. someone remember the trial by combat you have with him in the personal story istance? i have done it so many times but i didn’t pay attention to his skills

That was a different noble, not Caudecus.

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Posted by: Amaranthe.3578

Amaranthe.3578

Mesmer…………………..

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Doesn’t he get a mesmer to portal him out at the end of episode 1? Would seem strange to do that if he could portal himself?

in Lore

Posted by: Sock.2785

Sock.2785

He is a demagogue.

vectorfox.6894

If its possible i would say he doesn’t have a profession or if he does he isn’t very strong and was hoping the bloodstone would be able to cover his lack of power.

Caudecus being a weak/untrained magic-user would be very appropriate, quite ironic too; I really think this is the case, but if it isn’t I really don’t think we have any clue to what his profession might be.

My research has found a thread between magic and the mind. The two are linked.
— Snaff

(edited by Sock.2785)

in Lore

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m pretty sure that not every NPC has one of the 9 professions. Game mechanics mean every PC has one, but though everyone has magic in modern Tyria, not everyone develops it to full combat levels. At least I’ve seen that discussed in other threads.

So his profession is “Legate Minister.”

in Lore

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

Ministers have not the proffesions, they use weapons to defend themselves.

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

in Lore

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

That was a different noble, not Caudecus.

Oh right, now i remember, it is hinted that Caudecus suggested him the trial by combat

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Lore

Posted by: vier.1327

vier.1327

He is politic, so he has no profession

#Cuñadismo

Mejor músico de Bahia de Baruch.

in Lore

Posted by: cyberzombie.7348

cyberzombie.7348

If I recall doing a judicial duel against him in the human story, his attacks were of an elementalist.

What good is a medic w/o a patient?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

That was Minister Zamon. Caudecus just sat on the sidelines and looked grumpy for that fight.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I personally find it unlikely he’s a avid magic user. I mean, sure he might be able to cast a spell or two like everyone else, but from what I’ve seen so far I feel like he’s a scrapper combat class, and a cowardly one at that. Something between a thief, ranger and warrior. Being able to fight in melee combat, but preferring to unleash his pistol from a distance.
Hit and Run style. But thats just my speculation

in Lore

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

I personally find it unlikely he’s a avid magic user. I mean, sure he might be able to cast a spell or two like everyone else, but from what I’ve seen so far I feel like he’s a scrapper combat class, and a cowardly one at that. Something between a thief, ranger and warrior. Being able to fight in melee combat, but preferring to unleash his pistol from a distance.

You know what would be interesting? If Caudecus may actually be a new Elite Specialization for a profession in the next expansion.

Anet pulled this back in Season 2 when they teased Reaper using Marjory

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

You know what would be interesting? If Caudecus may actually be a new Elite Specialization for a profession in the next expansion.

Anet pulled this back in Season 2 when they teased Reaper using Marjory

propably, his roguelike combat style with a sword and pistol might be good for a thief, or warrior even. This time Marjory followed Lazarus who is a necromancer so that might be the next foreshadowing for the necromancer. It’s unlikely now for the warrior, though, the Papaya leak (not confirmed of course) is slowly becoming more and more reliable as it predicted a lot of actual stuff, which stated the warrior would be the spellbreaker with daggers. now this is in no way evidence of anything, but papaya has become more and more reliable, so there’s nothing wrong with assuming the elite specs papaya leaked

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

• Not all individuals are trained to fight or use magic, though all can innately use magic.
  • NPCs are not bound by mechanics of armor and weapon restrictions. NPCs can use whatever they want.

As such, I would argue Caudecus simply doesn’t have a profession. He isn’t the kind of person to fight himself, but to use others to fight his battle. He doesn’t seem to be trained in magic – if he was, he would have used it against us in Episode 1 rather than just ordering others around. And he more than likely isn’t trained in any but the most basic of swordplay (the kind of swordplay you’d see in official noble dueling – in other words, a mockery of actual combat; kids play).

So his profession? IMO: “None.”

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

• Not all individuals are trained to fight or use magic, though all can innately use magic.
  • NPCs are not bound by mechanics of armor and weapon restrictions. NPCs can use whatever they want.

As such, I would argue Caudecus simply doesn’t have a profession. He isn’t the kind of person to fight himself, but to use others to fight his battle. He doesn’t seem to be trained in magic – if he was, he would have used it against us in Episode 1 rather than just ordering others around. And he more than likely isn’t trained in any but the most basic of swordplay (the kind of swordplay you’d see in official noble dueling – in other words, a mockery of actual combat; kids play).

fair enough, he propably carries a sword and gun to kill people as he runs away.
but I do think he would be a better duellist than Faren

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

fair enough, he propably carries a sword and gun to kill people as he runs away.

I don’t know, with all of his a jungle experience, Lord Faren might be a better dueling ????

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

I don’t know, with all of his a jungle experience, Lord Faren might be a better dueling ????

his jungle experience?
last I remember we did his training for him

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

his jungle experience?
last I remember we did his training for him

The game’s engine could not adequately convey the sheer prowess and awesomeness of Farens skills, so it dumbed the gameplay down so we could feel more a part of the story and action.

I’m pretty certain Faren laid the finishing blow on the Mouth of Mordremoth, but it was just off camera so we missed it.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Given his “jungle experience”, I think Faren would become better at skirmishing, but not dueling.

By dueling, I at least am referring to the formal 1 on 1 fight on flat ground with fairplay. The stuff of nobility in medieval times – something that just would never work in a real battle – either wartime or against bandits, criminals, etc.

Then again, Faren’s title of being the best student of Bongo the once-not-One-Eyed was bought by his parents because Faren was just that bad at dueling so it’s a given Caudecus would be better than Faren – any noble would be.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Given his “jungle experience”, I think Faren would become better at skirmishing, but not dueling.

By dueling, I at least am referring to the formal 1 on 1 fight on flat ground with fairplay. The stuff of nobility in medieval times – something that just would never work in a real battle – either wartime or against bandits, criminals, etc.

Then again, Faren’s title of being the best student of Bongo the once-not-One-Eyed was bought by his parents because Faren was just that bad at dueling so it’s a given Caudecus would be better than Faren – any noble would be.

I apologize. I had thought I put an emote on there to show that I was joking, but apparently that didn’t occur. This was not a serious statement, I take nothing about Faren seriously.

in Lore

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

…nobody made this joke? Then it will be me.

“What is Caudecus’ profession?”

“Wraaaaghouuu!”

Seriously, I would say Mesmer.

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Caudecus’ weapons are sword and pistol, so if his weapon choices are limited according to PC professions, that suggests mesmer or thief. His sword, while not quite a rapier, does seem to be a lighter type, which also suggests one of those.

His reliance on Lady Valette to portal out, however, suggests that if he’s a mesmer, he’s not a very good one.

If we assume he’s not strictly bound to PC weapon options… we can probably still rule out necromancer and elementalist. Sword/pistol is too outside their preferred weapon sets. I think we can also rule out ranger or guardian – Caudecus has shown no ties to nature, nor does he appear to believe in anything bigger than himself. Warrior might be a possibility: there is a precedent for NPC warriors using sword/pistol (Rytlock in dungeons) and warrior is generally (and understandably) ArenaNet’s default for someone who doesn’t have special skills in another combat-relevant area. Engineer might also be a possibility: Caudecus has on several occasions demonstrated an interest in technological or magical constructs, although I don’t believe there’s evidence that he’s ever worked on one personally.

There is always the possibility, of course, that he has the special NPC-only profession “noble twerp”.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Lore

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

If you had to assume a profession id say a Thief for several reasons.

Firstly, Cadecus nature and personality are very apt as he tends to be greedy, manipulative and desires power for himself by stealing it from others (including the jade constructs).

He also denounces Lazarus in his latest ramblings on scribbles and in the bandit chests which seems to again suggest his greed and personal desire.

Now why any of that is tied to a thief is simple, a thief steals things, and Cadecus is both intent on stealing the throne, and the power. He wants it all, which doesnt feel like the kind of personality a Mesmer would reflect.

You might argue he has a mysterious side that makes him mesmer like, and that old unused chamber below his house might even elivate to it.

But then if that thing ever does get used think about it like this…

Its a case of “smoke and mirrors” Cadecus seems to be fond of both and manipulating people, and smoke is always tied to thieves.

Tinfoil hat off

Asides from this, he wears a genetic mantle outfit and a long cloak, both are traits of an outfit we can wear and medium armor which suggests a thief.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

From the patch notes, it looks like Caudecus had Body Shot. I guess that answers it. Thief.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Doesn’t he also use blurred frenzy from the mesmer after his tackle?

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

I’ve seen that said… might be worth checking the combat logs. It’s worth noting that the effect for the flurry portion of Pistol Whip is very similar to Blurred Frenzy.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

It looked like Pistol Whip with a shadowstep added in to me, followed by a one pistol Unload- and I got a very good luck several times- but they might not be mutually exclusive. (The combat log in this case isn’t much help, but it did give me a good laugh.) It’s actually relatively common for NPCs to use skills from two professions. Caudecus might be both thief and mesmer. Remember that he is also able to portal himself down to his, ah, personal chamber, after Wi turned on him.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Thief augmented by bloodstone-mesmer abilities makes sense for him. Especially since Demmi was a thief in the instance.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

I had the impression that Caudecus had a pre-prepared portal in the fireplace.

Thief augmented by bloodstone-mesmer abilities makes sense for him. Especially since Demmi was a thief in the instance.

I did notice Demmi being a thief… with a rifle. That will probably lead to some speculation in itself…

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I think Caudecus used mesmer abilities throughout the fight (his teleport special-skill-knockback skill for example).

Demmi had a rifle when we met her in the personal story. But here she (mostly? only? I only saw her with) a sword and pistol – much like Caudecus.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

I was pretty sure I saw Demmi with a rifle… but I may have been mistaken. Will have to pay closer attention this time.

In Caudecus’ case: Thieves do teleporting and CC about as much as mesmers (more teleporting, and CC is… debatable). It’s a fairly blurry line (pun not intended) between thieves and mesmers in general, since thieves have versions of a lot of mesmer tricks (apart from clones and phantasms) and vice versa. The main distinction is that mesmers will use magic to attack directly, while thieves use it more for utility while relying on conventional weapons to actually deal damage.

However, typically if you’re fighting a mesmer boss, you know about it. Purple stuff everywhere. See: Exhibit Estelle.

Caudecus… doesn’t have that.

I just watched a video of the fights, so I could observe the effects without beign distracted by, y’know, staying alive. (And yes, Demmi is definitely using a sword and pistol there. Looks like the Pact set).

In the first fight in the library, there is a lot of purple mesmer bad on the floor… but at that point, Valette is still fighting for Caudecus. There were a couple of points in the video where the mesmer bad showed up while Caudecus was stunned.

In the second fight in the face room, all of the purple mesmer stuff (keeping in mind that at this point you have TWO mesmers fighting with you) is friendly. Caudecus has magic effects there, but they’re bloodstone-themed, not mesmer-themed.

But the kicker, which I wasn’t looking for but I a-ha’d when I saw it, is this:

Caudecus goes to the fireplace to open a portal there. It appears mesmer-like, but odds are this was pre-installed. However, he teleports to the fireplace on his own bat just before he does so…

And the visual effect of that teleport is very clearly the “black coil” effect of a thief shadowstep (at the 21:39 mark). That’s clearly not a mesmer teleport, but a thief teleport.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Watched that video. I thought I saw the butterfly effect around his special skill-inducing teleport but seems not. Though he does have the purple bubble around him at the beginning of the fight. Could be Valette, but why would she protect him when no enemies around then drop the shield?

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

I think Caudecus used mesmer abilities throughout the fight (his teleport special-skill-knockback skill for example).

Demmi had a rifle when we met her in the personal story. But here she (mostly? only? I only saw her with) a sword and pistol – much like Caudecus.

Probably dropped the Large rifle for Sword/Pistol due to her skills being more to being a Thief now. Demmi had no profession combat skills back in Zhaitan Arc and depended only on her little amount of rifle training she got. Though the Sniper theme been a Order of Whisper thing for sometime due to Riel Darkwater.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Hrrrmn. Looks more like a bloodstone magic shield to me – seems to have that slight red tint. The video doesn’t really take a close look at it though.

Regarding Valette… if the shield is hers, there could be a number of reasons for her to have it up when we arrived while dropping it when the fighting starts. Mostly, to make sure that Caudecus can’t be ganked by surprise. It might not be possible for Caudecus to fight from under the shield, or Valette may not be able to maintain the shield while also maintaining the other mesmer stuff she has in that fight, or she might expect that Anise would be able to break the shield trivially and therefore that it’s not worth the effort to maintain.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

One thing I noticed pertaining to this discussion:

Minister Estelle uses guardian skills. Not just the chains you’re held down by: she also creates regions of blue fire, and she uses Sword Wave as an attack. So either she’s multiclassing, or she only appears to be using mesmer skills because Jennah is using hers to counter what Estelle does.

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Caudecus is definitely not a mesmer, or if he is, he isn’t good enough to be using portals. No way would he be barking at Valette at the end of Episode 1 if he could do that himself. His fireplace is probably enchanted to open the portal to his personal dungeon, which is how he could escape that way.

The blurred teleport doesn’t really mean anything, as several classes have teleporting abilities, like the guardian, the thief and, yes, mesmer. What his style of teleporting is, I have no clue, but it’s annoying.

As many people have said above, though, NPCs aren’t bound to any one profession, or even the same restrictions the PCs are. So his profession? Dolyakhole.

in Lore

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Mesmer.

Noble, rich and evil.
And his combo weapon sword+pistol is also a Mesmer wep combo.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

in Lore

Posted by: cyberzombie.7348

cyberzombie.7348

After fighting him his move and abilities seems like a combination of s/p thief with mesmer-like abilities via bloodstone magic

What good is a medic w/o a patient?

in Lore

Posted by: Evan.2073

Evan.2073

Maybe his abilities are just rare and unique?
Which might be a proof that there’s more in GW2 lore than classes we can choose and that would give better variety in RP.

Afterall, I can’t believe that skilled necromancer can’t try to learn some spells connected with Ice for example.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I actually recorded his skills for the wiki yesterday. He uses thief sword skill 1 (whole chain), sword/pistol dual skill, and pistol skills 2 and 4.

No mesmer weapon skills.

His special action skill (called Filthy Peasant!) is also a mirror of Shadow Shot (dagger/pistol dual skill).

He’s a thief.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

i will say teef spoilers after the fiest fight in the main room of his mansion he uses i think the shadowstep ability that teefs have theres the same animation as well and when you fight him in his chamber the aa animations are pretty much like a teef’s.

in Lore

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Mesmer.

Noble, rich and evil.
And his combo weapon sword+pistol is also a Mesmer wep combo.

hey not all mismirs are rich and evil ~ looks at half the npcs from the head of the snake ~ “oh no no he didnt mean it dont listen to him”

(edited by zealex.9410)

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I actually recorded his skills for the wiki yesterday. He uses thief sword skill 1 (whole chain), sword/pistol dual skill, and pistol skills 2 and 4.

No mesmer weapon skills.

His special action skill (called Filthy Peasant!) is also a mirror of Shadow Shot (dagger/pistol dual skill).

He’s a thief.

This kind of makes sense. He’s trying to steal the throne from Jennah, after all. Plus, Demmi is a thief and his daughter, so she had to have learned it somewhere.

in Lore

Posted by: Mem no Fushia.7604

Mem no Fushia.7604

If he’s thief it can be fake. Caudecus could be long dead or still hidding or imprisioned, demmi was killed cuz she could suspect something or search true in future. Introduce of field medic with mesmer portal is suspicious.

in Lore

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

If he’s thief it can be fake. Caudecus could be long dead or still hidding or imprisioned, demmi was killed cuz she could suspect something or search true in future. Introduce of field medic with mesmer portal is suspicious.

Anise was there, so she can explain why there was a portal for the medic to get there in a hurry.

in Lore

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

His profession is clearly “jerkbag”