floating castle in kessex hills

in Lore

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

i want to go in there! i dont feel that it should be a dungeon, i feel like it should be a giant puzzle area with many different mini dungeons and puzzle jumps and mini different strategy based activities – something that has a magic feel to it. grinding mobs and bosses in that area would feel like a total waste of that cool castle to me

id love for some kind of in game collectible card game to even be made out of that of place. i mean could you imagine how fun itd be to collect magic cards that have different monsters and abilities on them that you could play with your friends in-game ? just like they did in final fantasy x2

or maybe even some board games, gw2 chess version or something.

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

in Lore

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

A presumably evil wizard lives there so Im not sure about that…

in Lore

Posted by: Ecole.2349

Ecole.2349

Man.. we don’t need a card based mini game, it’d go straight to the cash shop, and then people would kitten on about it not being “fair” endlessly so lets just not go there. Also, single player games can’t honestly be compared to multiplayer ones, different dynamics. I would love to see some more varied minigames though!

in Lore

Envy.1679

you mean the evil wizard who protects the human village to the north though the use of his elementals?

in Lore

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

you mean the evil wizard who protects the human village to the north though the use of his elementals?

Chat up the folk around town. The more they reveal, the more you get the feeling that something ain’t right about that village. No sir. Not right at all. I left that place creeped out.

in Lore

Posted by: Weggie.3215

Weggie.3215

I love that place. So much Mystery…. Talk to the townpeople there, im pretty sure this will be a future Living World Story. I dont want to spoil anything but something fishy is going on in that small village.

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The elementals also occasionally break free from their enchantment, and start attacking each other. There is something sinister going on there.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

The elementals also occasionally break free from their enchantment, and start attacking each other. There is something sinister going on there.

I only remember the ones that the boy is forcing to fight each other. Although when one of the two does win the weaker one does flash between friendly and hostile a few times before coming back to friendly. Or are you possibly talking about the skill challenge where you fight the fire elemental?

in Lore

Posted by: Sander.8516

Sander.8516

WoodenPotatoes made a mistery video about this particular Castle/Tower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xslnnsNAUPA

Pretty interesting, and I hope we’ll get to see more of this in the (near) future.

in Lore

Posted by: Arathor.7419

Arathor.7419

According to the townsfolk of Garenhoff, Isgarren is a wizard who resides in, and supposedly owns, the floating castle of Wizard’s Tower in Kessex Hills. Isgarren is praised by many villagers of Garrenhoff for providing elemental guardians to protect the town and its people. – wiki

A wolf among sheep

in Lore

Posted by: Aidendale.4178

Aidendale.4178

If I recall, villagers there talk about occasionally the wizard in the castle taking apprentices from the town. Apprentices that never return. I’m guessing the elementals are the transformed villagers. Also, this castle has considerable history with a certain quest line and character from Guild Wars 1.

in Lore

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

None of the people that went into the castle ever returned,and these elementals dont expire which could mean he traps people souls into these elementals and then releases them into the village.Just my 2 cents

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I only remember the ones that the boy is forcing to fight each other. Although when one of the two does win the weaker one does flash between friendly and hostile a few times before coming back to friendly. Or are you possibly talking about the skill challenge where you fight the fire elemental?

A random boy in town cannot command the elementals. No one but Isgaren can. The boy you see is cheering the elementals on, and he is simply a bystander. The elementals turn on each other by them selves. Probably they occasionally manage to break free of their enchantment (or resist it), which instantly causes all other elementals to become hostile to it.

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

in Lore

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Would be a nice location for a new dungeon. IMO they should utilize the open world more with new dungeons, instead of putting them all into LA/Vicinity.

One – Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

We’ve been teased for too many years.

Make something happen in the castle… anything.

in Lore

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Made a suggestion about looking at the Wizards Tower for future updates.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Future-Dungeon-Location-Wizard-s-Tower/first#post2119945

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

A random boy in town cannot command the elementals. No one but Isgaren can. The boy you see is cheering the elementals on, and he is simply a bystander. The elementals turn on each other by them selves. Probably they occasionally manage to break free of their enchantment (or resist it), which instantly causes all other elementals to become hostile to it.

Actually, if I remember right, when you talk to the townsfolk it seems like the elementals can be their personal assistants. I could be wrong, but I got the sense that the people in town could tell the elementals what to do and they would obey, BUT their ultimate allegiance would be to the wizard, and not the townsfolk. I will have to go back to that village and talk to the villagers again and make sure my mind isn’t scrambled on the matter though.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Man.. we don’t need a card based mini game, it’d go straight to the cash shop, and then people would kitten on about it not being “fair” endlessly so lets just not go there. Also, single player games can’t honestly be compared to multiplayer ones, different dynamics. I would love to see some more varied minigames though!

I, personally, wouldn’t mind something like Triple Triad from Final Fantasy 8. It was simple, and it can get more and more complex with the added rules. I usually spend a very good portion of my full play time playing that game.

Though, the cash shop could turn that kind of minigame into a pain, I agree. I wouldn’t mind coughing up 10$ worth of gems to unlock it, but if they are expecting me to buy booster packs…

…I might just pass on it.

As for something back on topic, I was very surprised to learn the Arcane Eye have a base in that town. I always wondered if the Arcane Council might have ties with the wizard that lives there.

(edited by Erukk.1408)

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

As for something back on topic, I was very surprised to learn the Arcane Eye have a base in that town. I always wondered if the Arcane Council might have ties with the wizard that lives there.

Now this is just speculation, but to me it seemed that this Isgarren is either just an Asura pretending to be a grand wizard, or perhaps simply an invention of a group of Asura. The base of the Arcane Eye might be what is controlling the elementals.

It would not surprise me if the entire village is just some sort of twisted Asura experiment.

I know there are a lot of wilder theories out there, including ties to the White Mantle and such. But maybe it is all just a lot simpler than that.

in Lore

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

What if the grandwizard is actually snaff, He used a minddevice which released his soul into the mist, which he used and placed in a copy of him self placed in that castle, and might the arcane eye want to hunt him down so they have a base of operations in the village.

Perhaps a living story where zojja was, and the hero and zojja on a boat misson, they are like on an asuran boat (instance which stands still in middle of the sea between these two) where you have to fight the arcane eye, and find snaff warn him, and then you set up 100 mega lasers, and you get to fire one of them at the arcane eye, and then the aetherblades storm the castle from the top trough an airship, then you got to send and army of golems and your self to wipe them out, and then krait swarms up from underneath, you got to drop asuran mega bombs,

Then you take snaff in an asuran jet ship, and flies to rata sum on the way you see a cinematic with an asuran jet plane, which there is airships trying to shoot you down, and then the ship fires at airships, and you like watch zojja’s very zoomed in face kitten style, land in rata sum and off you go you are in rata sum, and then you land in zojja’s lab, set up mega defences, then this get known, and the council is blamed, and lost a lot of trust.

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The Arcane Eye base is very reminiscent of that one Star Trek NG episode where they have a hidden base overlooking a primitive village. The villagers are unaware that there is a secret base studying their society, hidden away in the mountain. Asura are totally capable of doing experiments like that.

in Lore

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

The Arcane Eye base is very reminiscent of that one Star Trek NG episode where they have a hidden base overlooking a primitive village. The villagers are unaware that there is a secret base studying their society, hidden away in the mountain. Asura are totally capable of doing experiments like that.

You sure you’re not talking about the movie Star Trek: Insurrection?

One – Piken Square

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

You sure you’re not talking about the movie Star Trek: Insurrection?

With me not being a Star Trek expert, I will assume you are right, it was probably one of the movies.

It does seem similar doesn’t it? Secret base overlooking a village, studying them. Maybe doing experiments on them (which would explain rumors of people being taken away, and never returning).

in Lore

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

Actually back in GW1 was a necromancer who was great spell-inventer and was working on inifinite minions.
in his tryings he skitten to do abad things…
so he was outcasted.
but then we are meeting in Kessex Peak a group of hostile NPC’s who are named as members of cult with that necromancer’s name.

also they are residing actually under that Wizard Tower.
So…..

as for me that Isgaren is somekind of descendand of this cult which was founded to give that necromancer resources to working on their “infinite minion spell”
apprentices are taken for:
1. more resources
2. train them to follow path of their “master” – somebody must eventually invent that spell in the eyes of cultist yes? :P

poor village

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

You mean Verata. That seems highly unlikely to me. We haven’t seen a single trace of Verata’s cult anywhere in GW2. And as far as we know, we stopped Verata and he never actually made it into the Wizard’s Tower. The Wizard’s Tower also is no longer in the original spot, it was moved. And there is no way to link the control over elementals to a cult of necromancers.

It’s much easier to link the Wizard’s Tower to either the Arcane Eye, or the White Mantle. Remember how Galrath was also after the secrets of the Wizard’s Tower in GW1. Konig brought up some cool speculation regarding how the White Mantle might actually be involved. But it’s just that, speculation. Personally I think it’s just some sort of Asura experiment. But I’ve been wrong before.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The cult was of more than necromancers. There were rangers, mesmers, and monks in large numbers, and bosses being monk, elementalist, and mesmer.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The cult was of more than necromancers. There were rangers, mesmers, and monks in large numbers, and bosses being monk, elementalist, and mesmer.

Ah yes, I stand corrected.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Still, from the in-game perspective, we never see him gaining access to it. Plus, for some people who were lucky enough, Verata himself spawned and we were able to vanquish him once and for all, even if it wasn’t a specific quest. I would say that the likelihood that Verata was killed is just about as high as the chance that Rotscale was killed in GW1 as well.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Verata always spawned unless you had the Galrath quest up.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

No, I was pretty certain that he was a random spawn with another man. I know for a fact that I was there a few times (with nothing else up except perhaps WiK quests) and he was not there.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I am 100%, 110% even, over 9000% certain in fact, that Verata did not have a random spawn.

If he did, then the thousands of times I went into Kessex, I never saw that alternative spawn.

He only didn’t spawn if you had Galrath’s quests (normal one or the HM version) up.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Its possible that during some of the War in Kryta stuff, some spawns were temporary changed. So there can have been times when Verata wasn’t there, especially with the bounty stuff.

But Verata has been in the same place 100% for years since release. Unless you are doing Villainy of Galrath, Verata will be there. He is not a random spawn.

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Verata will be there. And his entourage is a crazy dangerous thing to take on when Vanquishing

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

It must have been the WiK stuff then. I mean there were few reasons to go there other than to kill Galrath and to kill WiK bounties. But I personally only remember him appearing once or twice in my experience.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

At least at the end of WiK, the bounties didn’t affect Verata’s spawn. Maybe during the spawn changes of WiK, but not before or after.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

Well i am not GW lore expert or even played Gw1 at all (even tho i wanted to, was always interested) but i saw a youtrube video of rottenpotatoes or something like that with the posible story about that castle. Apparently an evil necromancer, the most powerful ever live there, he apparently discover eternal life or something, he was kicked from the magic group for been evil or wanting to experiment with dark magic. The guy rly have nice videos about lore

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

WoodenPotatoes, the man he is talking about is the one we are talking about and we are stating that the PC’s get plenty of chances to KILL the evil necromancer in GW1. I find it highly unlikely that Verata has anything to do with the movement of the castle or the creation of the elementals protecting the city. The creation of elementals is only seen as possible through Elementalists, which we believe uses a different division of magic than necromancers.

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

You have to be careful though with Wooden Potatoes’ videos. His videos are interesting and fun, but from a lore perspective not always factual. He tends to mix facts with speculation a lot.

And he is most definitely not correct on linking an evil necromancer (probably Verata) with the castle directly. Verata was interested in the floating castle, and that is about all we know.

in Lore

Posted by: NemesiS.6749

NemesiS.6749

WoodenPotatoes, the man he is talking about is the one we are talking about and we are stating that the PC’s get plenty of chances to KILL the evil necromancer in GW1. I find it highly unlikely that Verata has anything to do with the movement of the castle or the creation of the elementals protecting the city. The creation of elementals is only seen as possible through Elementalists, which we believe uses a different division of magic than necromancers.

well to be honest i didnt watch the whole video, they are so dam long lol but i will later, is rly interesting.

in Lore

Lord Trejgon.2809

he is not, but apprentice of the aprentice of his aprentice who were cultist and “by the rules of the cult” was chosen to continue “sacred” way to invent everlasting necromantic minion after so many problems with accidentally met adventurers who was making too many casualties, could discover how he can move to the castle and placed all the cult there and later – when garenhoff was founded his apprentice moved castle to be closer to it because that was “free” source of both experimental rabbit and chosen to have a chance to continue “sacred researches”.
and in many years after that method was changing, and in the way to achieve sacred goal they managed to make something that is half of things he have to make… everlasting elemental minion (no elementalist can summon lesser elemental for unending time yes? so clutist have made it :P) and used it to convince garenhoff people to peacefully giving them youngs they needed

and now we have aprentice of the aprentice of the aprentice [blah blah blah] of the Verata who are following “sacred goal” that he (verata) ordered and now is the master of the castle….

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

he is not, but apprentice of the aprentice of his aprentice who were cultist and “by the rules of the cult” was chosen to continue “sacred” way to invent everlasting necromantic minion after so many problems with accidentally met adventurers who was making too many casualties, could discover how he can move to the castle and placed all the cult there and later – when garenhoff was founded his apprentice moved castle to be closer to it because that was “free” source of both experimental rabbit and chosen to have a chance to continue “sacred researches”.
and in many years after that method was changing, and in the way to achieve sacred goal they managed to make something that is half of things he have to make… everlasting elemental minion (no elementalist can summon lesser elemental for unending time yes? so clutist have made it :P) and used it to convince garenhoff people to peacefully giving them youngs they needed

and now we have aprentice of the aprentice of the aprentice [blah blah blah] of the Verata who are following “sacred goal” that he (verata) ordered and now is the master of the castle….

Can we mark this as speculation rather than fact?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Very much speculative, lol.

in Lore

Lord Trejgon.2809

yeah yeah actually all things in this topic are specullation doesn’t it?

in Lore

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Take note that the castle is actually quite small, if you compare it on the map. The whole floating island is about the size of the LA Grand Plaza, and the actual castle is comparable to LA bank. Not really space for a full-scale dungeon.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

I found something that might be interesting today while taking a Divinity’s Reach tour. According to her, the garden of the upper city level were creation of Grand Wizard Garren.

Maybe there’s a link there, but nothing else to speculate on other than a similar name, that might actually mean nothing.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Yeah, I saw that a while back and was wondering the same. If Isgarren and Garren held ties.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Inverted.7439

Inverted.7439

Although it Might not be Verata (since he’s believed to have died in gw1) We did see that he had followers. So there is a possibility one of his followers is trying to finish what Verata started and create a minion that never dies!

in Lore

Lord Trejgon.2809

Although it Might not be Verata (since he’s believed to have died in gw1) We did see that he had followers. So there is a possibility one of his followers is trying to finish what Verata started and create a minion that never dies!

that was my point all the time

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

In any case, the usage of elementals, I don’t believe, is tied to necromancers at all. Probably meaning that nor Verata nor his apprentices are Isgarren. I could be wrong though, since I haven’t reached that part in GW1 since I bought it yet.

in Lore

Envy.1679

itd be funny if the isgarren was a fugitive with some court issuing arrests for him. and isgarren isnt really his name its just an alias and his real name is Garren.

i found it humorous