what happened to Garm again?

in Lore

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

I made this post almost a year ago (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Mr-Sparkles-and-Garm/first#post5146736) and sure we found the destroyed Mr. Sparkles. But what in the blazes happened to Garm? Is he dead? is he alive? Are we going to see him in LW S3?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Simply put… We don’t know.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

They mentioned at some point he was missing. My guess is he’s wandering around lost and happens to be in a part of the jungle we didn’t get yet, so in a new map with LW S3 probs

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

The real question is, if he’s alive (which I would assume, since they didn’t just give us a corpse) what are they going to do with him.

in Lore

Posted by: DoogySnowStalker.2069

DoogySnowStalker.2069

The real question is, if he’s alive (which I would assume, since they didn’t just give us a corpse) what are they going to do with him.

Tame him, new pet for Rangers being Dire Wolves, please

Is a Warrior just a pet without a Ranger?

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

I honestly almost wish that Braham had been a ranger instead of a guardian so he could find Garm and train him, but unless we start seeing people break profession lines in Guild Wars 2, that doesn’t seem likely.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We kind of already got that. In GW1, we saw Kieran change professions, and there was an interview during S1’s times which stated that a person could train in multiple professions’ ways but it’s just time consuming so it’s not often done.

We could easily see Braham becoming GW2’s first dual profession, given he’s already stated he’ll be taking Eir’s shortbow (yes, it’s a shortbow not a longbow that she uses!) and will take care of Garm.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

I honestly almost wish that Braham had been a ranger instead of a guardian so he could find Garm and train him, but unless we start seeing people break profession lines in Guild Wars 2, that doesn’t seem likely.

It doesn’t’ matter if it breaks the profession line because he is an NPC and Garm is already trained anyway, he would just have to get him to want to fight with him.
Canach doesn’t follow the professions. He uses a sword and shield , bombs and landmines so is he a warrior or engineer?
Players are only locked into professions for balance.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Canach doesn’t follow the professions. He uses a sword and shield , bombs and landmines so is he a warrior or engineer?

He’s the one…

The only…

WARGINEER!

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Yeah, Konig, I know about Keiran, that’s why I specifically mentioned in Guild Wars 2, not Guild Wars 1. I personally saw Keiran more as a situation where his Secondary profession started to become of primary importance, and he finally started shifting to the point where he became a paragon. Sadly, as of Guild Wars 2’s time there are no secondary professions. So I would imagine that shifting professions would be a much more difficult undertaking. I think Canach stands out as an example of how it’s possibly done. He was forced to run and use everything at his disposal to survive. He doesn’t have a specific profession because he was forced to become a jack of many (not all) trades to survive so he’s different. I could possibly see this as leading up to the point where we get the second elite specialization for Guardian, having something to do with Braham and Garm.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

There’s no secondary professions in mechanics, but we’ve been told – as I mentioned – that it is possible for an individual to train themselves in multiple professions’ skill sets in lore.

Unfortunately, it seems that the site of the interview I believe it was from, was taken down?

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

He’s the one…

The only…

WARGINEER!

There were others, but then there was the whole cutting of heads thing and… we don´t talk about these times.

Then again it would be nice if we get a nice sidestory with Garm.
Maybe we can follow his way through the jungle and how he finds something.
Anything interesting.
Maybe a pact of wolves who fight of Mordrems and he takes the lead, leaving Braham to part with him and getting some inspiation.

On multiple professions
Didn´t they just become out of style, as more magic was released over the time and fixating on one profession was more profitable?

Overall our professions are just a fraction of their whole power. Even at ax level, we just followed a certain part of the profession and not it´s whol spectrum.

That´s why we see others who call themselves our profession, being able to perform other abilities.

Then there is the whole balancing issue, etc. , but that is more a gamemechanic thing

(edited by Jaken.6801)

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Yeah, Konig, I know about Keiran, that’s why I specifically mentioned in Guild Wars 2, not Guild Wars 1.

There are some examples in GW2 as well. They just aren’t broadcasted as clearly.

For a Kieran-esque shift, there is, of course, Rytlock. Shouldn’t need to expound on that.

For proper secondary professions, it’s around with the NPCs, you just have to look harder without the skill names popping up for us anymore. For the example that always jumps out to me, roughly half of the Ash Legion’s NPCs mix necromancer and thief skills, and there’re likely other examples to be found by anyone able to take the obnoxious amount of time required to look into the skillsets.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

Its pretty clear NPCs dont fallow player profession mechanic rules in GW2 (like the light armor longbow priory NPCs xD or that one pact NPC with a rifle AND a Pet!)

how close Garm was to Eir its kinda strange he didnt pop up in the story looking for her (unless hes dead :s)

in Lore

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

Guild Wars 2: Bonus Mission Pack.
Garm’s Campaign.

In this selection of instanced missions you play as Garm.
You awaken amongst the wreckage of a Pact Airship and seek your way back to Eir’s side.
Along the way Garm encounters multiple enemies, among which Mordrem and other creatures.

Garm eventually finds himself a love interest and as time passes on protecting his new wolf-wife, he eventually decides the time has come to give up on searching for Eir.
It has been too long, the time for reuniting has passed and Garm settles down with his newfound family.

Queue credits…

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

in Lore

Posted by: thunderfall.8095

thunderfall.8095

He’s the one…

The only…

WARGINEER!

Coming soon to your local ES store…for $60.

Mesmers be like: I reject your reality and substitute my own. – compliments to Mythbusters
Plot Twist: Elder Dragons are massive robots created by the Black Lion Trading Company.
Think of the money they make off weapons and armor…

in Lore

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

If I remember correctly Rytlock had a pistol offhand and warriors can’t use pistols so breaking npc class associations shouldn’t be a problem for them if they wanted Braham to adopt Garm.

RP enthusiast

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Well, I think by now it has been thuroughly pointed out how wrong I was, thanks.

Anyways, it could be an interesting story seeing what comes of Garm and how me reacts to Braham. Perhaps Rox can have a hand in teaching Braham how to tame Garm.

in Lore

Posted by: Crazy Branden.6951

Crazy Branden.6951

we did see scruffy die maybe garm becomes her new guard. under the orders of Braham

Leader of Angels of Clarity

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We also saw a rusty looking Scruffy from dat-diving by that_shaman. This is likely the “Scruffy 2.0” that Taimi mentions at the end of that mission.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Why would Garm need trained?

Also, He’s never seen in the Pact camp at Resolve, so he was likely never with the fleet in the first place.

As of right now, he’s alive unless Anet comes out and says something different.

We also saw a rusty looking Scruffy from dat-diving by that_shaman. This is likely the “Scruffy 2.0” that Taimi mentions at the end of that mission.

Ooh, link? I’ve not looked at what Shaman has dug up lately. I don’t reddit much :P.

in Lore

Posted by: Brokensunday.4098

Brokensunday.4098

Garm is looking for magdaer, we are going to have a sword wielding dog. No for real he is somewere in the jungle prob gonna see him in s3

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Garm is looking for magdaer, we are going to have a sword wielding dog. No for real he is somewere in the jungle prob gonna see him in s3

Why is he in the jungle? He was never, ever spotted among the Pact fleet around Camp Resolve or even in the cutscene of the fleet being destroyed.

All evidence points that Garm wasn’t even with the Fleet, and Braham states such after Eir’s death, that he doesn’t know where Garm is, or if he was with Eir at all.

in Lore

eduardo.1436

Why is he in the jungle? He was never, ever spotted among the Pact fleet around Camp Resolve or even in the cutscene of the fleet being destroyed.

All evidence points that Garm wasn’t even with the Fleet, and Braham states such after Eir’s death, that he doesn’t know where Garm is, or if he was with Eir at all.

A) as Eir’s pet he is considered a member of DE (also this an in game excuse…..ranger pet)

B) Mr. Sparkles was found in the jungle and he was not in Camp Resolve or the end of S2 cinematic, same applies to Garm

C) sure Braham mentions he doesnt know whether Garm was in the crash or not……but Mordremoth is able to create a blighted ILLUSION of the wolf, how? he must have seen him

but the point of all this is whether Garm is alive or not, is he going to appear in S3 or not?

(edited by eduardo.1436)

in Lore

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

C) sure Braham mentions he doesnt know whether Garm was in the crash or not……but Mordremoth is able to create a blighted ILLUSION of the wolf, how? he must have seen him

Mordremoth has no need for the sighting of the physical presence of Garm to be able to create an illusion.
Don’t forget, it’s the Elder Dragon of Plant and Mind.
Garm’s visage was possibly pulled out of Braham’s, Eir’s or even the PC’s memories and thus not physically copied.

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

in Lore

eduardo.1436

Mordremoth has no need for the sighting of the physical presence of Garm to be able to create an illusion.
Don’t forget, it’s the Elder Dragon of Plant and Mind.
Garm’s visage was possibly pulled out of Braham’s, Eir’s or even the PC’s memories and thus not physically copied.

….fair point, but point A or B are still possibilities, OR he simply didnt go with the others. In the end we still dont know what happened to him. Either Anet just say “he is dead” or “wait for LS S3

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Ooh, link? I’ve not looked at what Shaman has dug up lately. I don’t reddit much :P.

This was around last summer, IIRC, so it’d take a bit to dig it up…

And I just tried, could not find the post. Bah.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Gany.1793

Gany.1793

I find it hard to believe that Garm would not have accompanied Eir on the mission. Ranger’s and their pets are seperatable only, really, by death. Course, a big nasty evil Elder Dragon imprisioning the separately might also be able to do the trick

I think we may have to wait for LW S3, S4 or beyond to find out Garm’s story

Gany

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Why would Garm need trained?

Also, He’s never seen in the Pact camp at Resolve, so he was likely never with the fleet in the first place.

As of right now, he’s alive unless Anet comes out and says something different.

What I mean by trained is that Garm would have to be trained to the point that he would trust and look up to Braham. I say this because in general, Braham is mostly a stranger to Garm. He wasn’t really around Eir and Garm very much before her death. And Garm followed Eir, based on he books, because he saw her as his alpha, and he would have to be made to view Braham in this way. This would take some time and effort.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

A) as Eir’s pet he is considered a member of DE (also this an in game excuse…..ranger pet)

B) Mr. Sparkles was found in the jungle and he was not in Camp Resolve or the end of S2 cinematic, same applies to Garm

but the point of all this is whether Garm is alive or not, is he going to appear in S3 or not?

A: There have been other points, IIRC, where Eir has been around but Garm has not. I’ll have to double check, but I believe in the situation where you clear out the icebrood fortress to secure Knut’s participation in the world summit, Garm is not present.

B: Likewise, where Zojja is Mr Sparkles isn’t always with her.

C: Mordremoth creates blighted illusions of the order mentors, who where never in the jungle in the first place. Your point there is kinda moot.

I find it hard to believe that Garm would not have accompanied Eir on the mission. Ranger’s and their pets are seperatable only, really, by death. Course, a big nasty evil Elder Dragon imprisioning the separately might also be able to do the trick

I think we may have to wait for LW S3, S4 or beyond to find out Garm’s story

Gany

Actually, there isn’t much lore on ranger-pet relationships. There is nothing stating they are always with each other. Hell, in GW1 most rangers didn’t even have animal companions. Aiden, of the iconic Ascalon adventuring group, had no pet.

What I mean by trained is that Garm would have to be trained to the point that he would trust and look up to Braham. I say this because in general, Braham is mostly a stranger to Garm. He wasn’t really around Eir and Garm very much before her death. And Garm followed Eir, based on he books, because he saw her as his alpha, and he would have to be made to view Braham in this way. This would take some time and effort.

You do know Garm is intelligent right? In a Norn story instance where you turn into a wolf, you actually converse with him.

“You are Eir’s new pack? Good. She has missed her old pack. She is sad too often. Now, we will hunt one more!”

Her old pack? You mean Destiny’s Edge?

“Yes. The charr and the human and the rest. I have missed them too, but most of all I have missed my alpha’s smile.”

Don’t worry Garm. Everything’s going to be better now. I promise.

(other dialogue option)Wait a second – Garm? You can talk?

“Only to other wolves, young one. Now watch your tail, and prepare to fight!”

All right, then! I’m all wolfed up and ready to go!

Implying that he would refuse Braham is weird, because Braham is the child of Eir. If anything, I’d see Braham being the one Garm goes to first, if not another Destiny’s Edge member.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

True, but he is found in Torn from the Sky near the airship crash (which you go to if you fortify defenses – he’ll show up regardless though).

Implying that he would refuse Braham is weird, because Braham is the child of Eir. If anything, I’d see Braham being the one Garm goes to first, if not another Destiny’s Edge member.

Garm saw Eir as his alpha, and without that he’d either find a new alpha or make his own pack, most likely.

If he sticks with Braham, I imagine it’d be more out of sense of duty to Eir (taking care of her child rather than following Braham).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

True, but he is found in Torn from the Sky near the airship crash (which you go to if you fortify defenses – he’ll show up regardless though).

Garm saw Eir as his alpha, and without that he’d either find a new alpha or make his own pack, most likely.

If he sticks with Braham, I imagine it’d be more out of sense of duty to Eir (taking care of her child rather than following Braham).

point on Mr sparkles is more of “Using him as an example doesn’t mean the same is always true for Eir and Garm.”

The other point, is the fact people implied he’s just some animal, when we know he’s intelligent and actually have talked to him (in wolf form, for Norn characters in one arc). Acting as if he’d have to go through “doggie classes!” to see Braham as anything but another annoying Norn or such.

Garm is not just yet another random wolf plucked from the forest.

in Lore

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

I can see it happening. I picture Garm retrieving Magdaer but the blade has been corrupted by Adelbern’s madness and drives Garm wild. He changes his name to Sif and becomes a raid boss.

Attachments:

in Lore

eduardo.1436

I can see it happening. I picture Garm retrieving Magdaer but the blade has been corrupted by Adelbern’s madness and drives Garm wild. He changes his name to Sif and becomes a raid boss.

……….welp! Garm is either:
A. Lost in the jungle
B. Dead
C. waiting at home
D. gonna be a boss

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We already did the whole ‘evil wolf with a nordic name as a dungeon boss’ thing though.

Svánigandr starts out as an Icebrood Wolf surrounded by other icy/crystalline wolves (it’s very hard to get a picture due to how fast they merge together to form a typical norn wolf form boss).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Tapioca.9062

For serious though, I think Garm will turn up again as an important part of LS3. Namely, because I don’t think Eir is going to stay dead. The Maguuma Druids are referred to as spirits who shed their bodies to become one with nature. Eir, as a Norn Ranger, has a strong affinity to both nature and spirits. So I think she’s coming back as a Druid. I also don’t think it’s incidental that the GW2 Druid elite spec is oriented around healing given this line of thinking.

So Garm will realise Eir has returned and track her down and Braham will go searching for Garm and end up being reunited with Eir.

in Lore

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

You do know Garm is intelligent right? In a Norn story instance where you turn into a wolf, you actually converse with him.

“You are Eir’s new pack? Good. She has missed her old pack. She is sad too often. Now, we will hunt one more!”

Her old pack? You mean Destiny’s Edge?

“Yes. The charr and the human and the rest. I have missed them too, but most of all I have missed my alpha’s smile.”

Don’t worry Garm. Everything’s going to be better now. I promise.

(other dialogue option)Wait a second – Garm? You can talk?

“Only to other wolves, young one. Now watch your tail, and prepare to fight!”

All right, then! I’m all wolfed up and ready to go!

You know, I’ve long suspected that there’s more to Garm than we’ve been told, and that he might actually be a norn that transformed for too long or too intensely and became stuck as a wolf. Given the vague way they’ve talked about Braham’s father and anything around him, I could even see said norn being Braham’s real father. And that way, Braham could lose a parent for the THIRD time in his life, and with even more unresolved issues than what Eir left him with!

Strange theories aside, though, I do hope Garm shows up and acts of his own free will instead of acting like a lost dog. It would be interesting if he just starts to follow the main character around as a new alpha, though I could also see him going with Logan, Braham, or Canach. (Canach would be confused as to why, though.)

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

If Garm would begin following “any” of the iconics or biconics, it’d likely be either Braham or the PC.

Maybe Rytlock – iirc, Rytlock got along well with Garm in EoD.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

You know, I’ve long suspected that there’s more to Garm than we’ve been told, and that he might actually be a norn that transformed for too long or too intensely and became stuck as a wolf. Given the vague way they’ve talked about Braham’s father and anything around him, I could even see said norn being Braham’s real father. And that way, Braham could lose a parent for the THIRD time in his life, and with even more unresolved issues than what Eir left him with!

Only, we know who Braham’s father is, and how he died… Kinda puts kitten in that theory. :P

Strange theories aside, though, I do hope Garm shows up and acts of his own free will instead of acting like a lost dog. It would be interesting if he just starts to follow the main character around as a new alpha, though I could also see him going with Logan, Braham, or Canach. (Canach would be confused as to why, though.)

It would interesting to have him rejoin the crew. I’m hoping they merge Destiny’s Edge and the biconics into a new team under the PC.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

They rather already are, since now the biconics are so interested in fighting the Elder Dragons, and both Braham and Marjory talk about “our guild” when you talk to them after killing Mordy.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Jaken.6801

They rather already are, since now the biconics are so interested in fighting the Elder Dragons, and both Braham and Marjory talk about “our guild” when you talk to them after killing Mordy.

I think that has been confirmed by their dialog.
I think Rytlock even aproves of them.
Oh and appearently we got a leading position.. again… seriously, we need to get these memos earlier.
I mean, what if something bad happens and we are responsible all of a sudden.

Back to Garm
If he is not forgotten by the plot (like many others), he might have survived.
Though here are some other ideas:
- Mordem Garm pack that will attack
- Garm survives, is found by Braham but rejects him. Now he has to prove himself to be worthy (which he theoreticaly did, by fighting Eir in Mordys mind, but Garm didn´t see that)
- Garm finds his way home, via Asura Gate, tail wagging, asking: what took you so long?
- Garm is mourning at Eirs rest (btw. we need a place called that), protecting her in the jungle for all eternity, which would be kinda cool and a plotpoint they could take up later on.
- Garm stumbles into the mists and becomes a mist wolf and thus the base for the gem-shop/deluxe edition elite
- Garm takes up a sword and shield and becomes the sungod… oh wait, that was Okami… (yeah, DS is cool, but I prefer this sword wielding wolf)

Anyway, I just hope they give him a proper send of, no matter where he ends up.

in Lore

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I feel Garm is a wasted opportunity. So was Faolain. Their roles should have been reversed.

Garm should have been the one killed and then corrupted by Modremoth. Then let loose on his master, killing Eir. I feel it would have been a lot more impactful than Faolian, who we already know is evil, being corrupted.

Meanwhile Faolain should have been the one left ambiguously dead/missing, giving Caithe something to do in the story that wasn’t “HIDE THE EGG! Oh, I had the egg. I’m sorry!”

Then end with a team up with the Nightmare Court to fight a common enemy.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The entire second half of HoT’s story instances was a wasted opportunity, as was Eir, Mr. Sparkles, Garm, and Faolain. And, naturally, Malyck.

Though I would have changed things with Eir and Faolain’s fate, if I had my hands on HoT’s story I would not be able to keep pretty much anything the same after visiting Tarir. It’s just missing too much.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

its also very strange how Faolin was in the Hot preview cinematic at the end of S2. only to simply die in HoT story with a very small explanation why shes even there :s

in Lore

Jaken.6801

The entire second half of HoT’s story instances was a wasted opportunity, as was Eir, Mr. Sparkles, Garm, and Faolain. And, naturally, Malyck.

Though I would have changed things with Eir and Faolain’s fate, if I had my hands on HoT’s story I would not be able to keep pretty much anything the same after visiting Tarir. It’s just missing too much.

To be honest, I wish they would do a directors cut of HoT.
With the repeat function of the story, they could easily reintroduce missing elements and/or fill in loose ends, to create a more rounded product.

Even more, after they got the backlash and critique after release.
I certainly would enjoy a HoT story 2.0, even if they don’t change the general direction, but get their story more fluff.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

They apparently cut out an entire nightmare court arc, which probably would explain why everybody has this giant hate-kitten for Caithe and considers her the biggest traitor in the world.

I would’ve tweaked the Eir/Faolin scene, and heavily changed the Egg-subplot.

in Lore

Posted by: ChuckNorris.6703

ChuckNorris.6703

Braham is supposed to become a dragonhunter, omg.

Rin Akumu

in Lore

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I’ve asked the same question about many characters. HoT doesn’t properly wrap things up and it infuriates me. After you defeat mordremoth it’s immediately over.

We don’t get to see where garm is, how logan is doing, how zojja is doing or how the pale tree is doing. These things I want to know. HoT should’ve had some sort of epilogue quest/arc.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Lore

Tapioca.9062

I get the impression that LS3 was meant to follow directly on the heels of the HoT story but given the long delays in release it means the HoT ending feels flat and anti-climactic since there’s no follow up to immediately jump into.

in Lore

Jaken.6801