Do the right thing and ban people who exploit

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: SundayTrash.9562

SundayTrash.9562

how is it fair that some people get to loot the chest multiple time, while the rest were left out in the cold. Looking back at how Anet were banning people for karma/cooking exploit, and considering as how this was suppose to be an one time event, it is clearly a exploit.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: HERO.2057

HERO.2057

While i only got the chest once, how is this exploiting?

Each toon, got a chest, seems fair.

Electronic Empire [eE]
———
Commander of Blacktide

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

I would recommend getting confirmation of an exploit (this wasn’t imo) before pleading for the ban hammer. I ran it twice but with the same character hence only 1 reward. I ran it the second time because I enjoyed the event itself.

Also how sad to call for bans for something that has no effect whatsoever on your gameplay ?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

Game economy == gameplay

Hell, if you want a legendary you have to trade on the TP like crazy.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

in The Lost Shores

SundayTrash.9562

don’t seem fair to me when someone has to exploit the overflow server.

in The Lost Shores

Kandrick.8054

So pre-cursors got cheaper – your complaint is ?

in The Lost Shores

Kandrick.8054

Wether it seems fair to you really doesn’t come into it.

Wether it was in fact an exploit as you have called is the important part. This part hasn’t been answered yet.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420

Doesn’t seem fair to me that the players had to resort to doing so because ANet scheduled the event as it was, and more over it performed as it did.

You think it’s unfair, I think it shows off the spirit of the community that people would ferry dozens of others into an overflow for no other reason but to be altruistic. People helping people overcome the events short comings.

(edited by UnrepentantProcrastinator.7420)

in The Lost Shores

SteepledHat.1345

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_%28video_gaming%29

“An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game’s designers.

Devs say 1 time event.
Players play multiple times by using the overflow system to gain an advantage.
Players profit.

Exploit

in The Lost Shores

SundayTrash.9562

So pre-cursors got cheaper – your complaint is ?

errr last time I heard 260g still takes forever to farm

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: cpg.7140

cpg.7140

To me, whether it is an exploit depends entirely on how lax the standards were for being able to open the chest (i.e. how much of the event did you have to do to get it). If you could jump in at the end and still get the reward? Exploit. If you had to participate in a large chunk of the event to get credit? Totally legitimate.

Hobwash
[TAS] – The Asuran Squad
Devona’s Rest

in The Lost Shores

Kandrick.8054

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_%28video_gaming%29

“An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game’s designers.

Devs say 1 time event.
Players play multiple times by using the overflow system to gain an advantage.
Players profit.

Exploit

Very important piece missing from that post

Devs say one time event (PER ACCOUNT)

The per accoubnt part would have to be in there or it’s subjective. It could easily read ;

Devs say one time event (PER CHARACTER)

So no, it doesn’t necessarily mean exploit.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Prothescar.7842

Prothescar.7842

If they intended for the chest to be looted only once, they should have made it a one time per account thing, not one time per character. We’ve already seen that they have the means to do such things with the Halloween event.

I know that most of the people I know who got multiple chests participated in a fair portion of the event each time, so it’s not like they were jumping onto different characters and getting free loot from chests that other people worked for.

in The Lost Shores

SteepledHat.1345

It really doesn’t matter. We all know they won’t do anything.
And if they do do something, they’ll only go half way with it.

in The Lost Shores

SundayTrash.9562

To me, whether it is an exploit depends entirely on how lax the standards were for being able to open the chest (i.e. how much of the event did you have to do to get it). If you could jump in at the end and still get the reward? Exploit. If you had to participate in a large chunk of the event to get credit? Totally legitimate.

But this still does not count out the fact that dev said 1 time only.

in The Lost Shores

Everyone was doing the entire event before switching, if they had another character to switch to, solely for fear of not getting back in the overflow.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

OMG this is getting out of hand…now people are jealous about the rewards other people got instead of being disappointed for not being able to play the event as it was planned…

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Topher.1684

Topher.1684

If they intended for the chest to be looted only once, they should have made it a one time per account thing, not one time per character. We’ve already seen that they have the means to do such things with the Halloween event.

I know that most of the people I know who got multiple chests participated in a fair portion of the event each time, so it’s not like they were jumping onto different characters and getting free loot from chests that other people worked for.

What part of the Halloween event was once per account? To my knowledge they haven’t shown once the ability to make anything a once per account thing.

This isn’t to say I think this should have been a once per account event, but they are going to let you run an event more then once (on different characters), make sure you are able to let EVERYONE run it multiple times. Having many people dc and not be able to log back in, not being able to participate in an event with such huge rewards simply because it’s 3-4am on a workday…etc.

I also know a far number of players that were able to log into overflows and participate in the each event for 5mins and were able to open the chest. Are you saying participating in the same event for 5mins multiple times = work put in to receive such high rewards? I saw (and heard over vent) logging in, running to an event that’s almost over, hitting the boss for 1-2 mins (max) and looting a chest. That sounds like free loot to me.

in The Lost Shores

SundayTrash.9562

The point is, this is clearly an exploit using the overflow server developer never intended for. This clearly deserve a banhammer.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Grezko.7950

Grezko.7950

NO exploit – ppl that went to other overflows did NOT get to open 2nd chest. This was ONLY available with 2nd character on a different overflow. So no real exploit here.

Officer of Executed [EXE] from Piken Square.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

how is it fair that some people didnt get possiblities to loot the chest???

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

in The Lost Shores

Prothescar.7842

What part of the Halloween event was once per account? To my knowledge they haven’t shown once the ability to make anything a once per account thing.

I may be misremembering, but I believe that they changed the Champion event chests to once per account per day pretty quickly.

For the record, I personally do not agree with this event being one time only, nor do I agree with the chest being able to hand out precursors. Regular exotics and rares? Fine. A free 20 slot bag? Fantastic. Cool earring? Ok. Precursors? Idk. That’s sorta lame, especially since it means some people are making 100g+ while others are lucky to get 2g, not that the money is what matters when it comes to an event like this, but still.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Tammuz.7361

Tammuz.7361

how is it fair that some people get to loot the chest multiple time, while the rest were left out in the cold. Looking back at how Anet were banning people for karma/cooking exploit, and considering as how this was suppose to be an one time event, it is clearly a exploit.

Seems legit to me, if they had intended it to be once per account they would have made the chest lootable only once per account (like dailys, DR in dungeons, DR in events etc)

They made the chest lootable only once per toon but multiple times per account.

Further they made the exotic 20 slot box and exotic trinket UNIQUE and account bound meaning they EXPECTED people to get multiples on a single account but felt it wasnt fair for a single character to get them all.

Seems like they INTENDED for the event to be completed on multiple characters to me.

[VoTF] www.votf-online.net

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Rengaru.4730

Rengaru.4730

Seems legit to me, if they had intended it to be once per account they would have made the chest lootable only once per account (like dailys, DR in dungeons, DR in events etc)

“If they had intended me not to rob this place they would have put a better lock on the door.”

or in Guild Wars 2:

“If they had intended me not to buy thousands of 42 Karma weapons they would have put a higher price tag on them”

It was probably an oversight on the developers part.
Exploiting such an oversight would be called… well… exploiting.

We need to wait for an official statement though.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Aestina.3687

Aestina.3687

NO exploit – ppl that went to other overflows did NOT get to open 2nd chest. This was ONLY available with 2nd character on a different overflow. So no real exploit here.

I think the main issue that people have with it, is the fact that people did not have to complete the event on 2nd, 3rd, 4th characters but rather just tag the boss before it died. I know a guildie who literally ran up at 25% health 3 times and got loot. THAT to me is “free loot”. If they put the time in to do the hours of the event a 2nd, 3rd, time then power to them, but they did not.

in The Lost Shores

“If they had intended me not to rob this place they would have put a better lock on the door.”

or in Guild Wars 2:

“If they had intended me not to buy thousands of 42 Karma weapons they would have put a higher price tag on them”

It’s a pretty huge oversight considering they must’ve known overflows would be in use for the event. And for all events until they upgrade their sever systems.

in The Lost Shores

Prothescar.7842

Particularly since they just had some issues with chest “exploitation” in their last event, which they had to patch.

in The Lost Shores

Rengaru.4730

It’s a pretty huge oversight considering they must’ve known overflows would be in use for the event. And for all events until they upgrade their sever systems.

Level 80 exotic weapons for 42 Karma wasn’t excactly a minor slip either…
But it’s all speculation until we hear from an official.

in The Lost Shores

Tammuz.7361

I think the main issue that people have with it, is the fact that people did not have to complete the event on 2nd, 3rd, 4th characters but rather just tag the boss before it died. I know a guildie who literally ran up at 25% health 3 times and got loot. THAT to me is “free loot”. If they put the time in to do the hours of the event a 2nd, 3rd, time then power to them, but they did not.

This is how all world events work and have since beta, you have to do VERY LITTLE in a world event and have since beta to get full (gold) credit. Includig wacking a mob a couple of times at 25% health or less.

Now suddenly your saying the rules should change (ok), unannounced (err…), and that this should be (with this unannounced change and without a change in game mechanics to even suggest that there is an intended change) a bannable offense?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Swing the ban hammer to the overflow abusers!

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Grezko.7950

Grezko.7950

And again – the chest was CHARACTER bound. So ppl that bothered to lvl a 2nd char to lvl 80 got the extra loot. I find nothing wrong with that.

Officer of Executed [EXE] from Piken Square.

in The Lost Shores

Tammuz.7361

or in Guild Wars 2:

Again, I just assumed this was intended since they:

A) made chests lootable only once per char, did not link to account like last event 2 weeks ago
B) went to the trouble of making the 20slot box and earing account bound but unique (which suggests to me they INTENDED) for peope to get them on multiple characters. But didnt want people loading up 1 main character with these.

I think what they need to admit is they misplaced a decimal point somewhere in the code for the precursor chance and THAT is what is leading to all these problems.

in The Lost Shores

Aestina.3687

This is how all world events work and have since beta, you have to do VERY LITTLE in a world event and have since beta to get full (gold) credit. Includig wacking a mob a couple of times at 25% health or less.

Now suddenly your saying the rules should change (ok), unannounced (err…), and that this should be (with this unannounced change and without a change in game mechanics to even suggest that there is an intended change) a bannable offense?

When did I say it should be bannable? I’ve played since beta, and I’ve ALWAYS disagreed. To me it’s quite silly regardless of the event it being 1 minute or 1 hour for people walk up, toss a few auto attacks and gold credit. It puts off a lot of people from doing it or actually extends the event since some people just sit around looking cute and participate in the end. I wasn’t saying it should cause people to be banned, I am just explaining why people feel it was an exploit. Hopping servers to tag a mob isn’t exactly legit behavior.

in The Lost Shores

Aestina.3687

or in Guild Wars 2:

A) made chests lootable only once per char, did not link to account like last event 2 weeks ago
B) went to the trouble of making the 20slot box and earing account bound but unique (which suggests to me they INTENDED) for peope to get them on multiple characters. But didnt want people loading up 1 main character with these.

I think what they need to admit is they misplaced a decimal point somewhere in the code for the precursor chance and THAT is what is leading to all these problems.

I’m not even sure the decimal point was misplaced. They DID say drop rate was increased & literally 99% of the online population of the game was participating, therefore leading to an insane amount of drops. Was it a bit much? Maybe. Was the decimal misplaced? Possibly. But if they intended it to be on multi characters I think it would have been all DAY rather than “one time”. This to me just means that a few servers lagged behind or weren’t as fast, letting people take advantage of that.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

They made the chest lootable only once per toon but multiple times per account.

Further they made the exotic 20 slot box and exotic trinket UNIQUE and account bound meaning they EXPECTED people to get multiples on a single account but felt it wasnt fair for a single character to get them all.

Seems like they INTENDED for the event to be completed on multiple characters to me.

I see it the other way around. It wasn’t meant to be done multiple times on the same account. While they know overflows can be exploited (LA personal ToT bags anyone?), I don’t think they thought people would be able/try to get into other overflow servers and be able to get the chest again. Thus it is an exploit.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

or in Guild Wars 2:

I’m not sure what makes you think the decimal point was missplaced. They said their highest concurrency is on Sunday at 12 PST (event time). They also said they had over 300,000 players on at their peak concurrency. So if we assume about 300,000 players got to participate in the event throughout the day we can figure out the relative drop rate.

According to GW2Spidy: http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/29185

The amount of dusks available for sale jumped from about 10 to 24 due to the event. Lets say that an additional 6 people bought dusk since it dropped in price giving us about 30 supply, which is 20 added to the market due to the event.

We can look at a couple other precursors (Zap: http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/29185) and see a similar trend, 10 to 40 in zap’s case. So overall we get an average of about 35 precursors of each type were added into the market. There are 20 different precursors (only 10 of which are actually worth any money)

so 20*35 = 700 total precursor drops (within an order of magnitude)

700/300,000*100% = ~0.2% drop chance

which is about the same chance you have from the MF

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

Dev’s also said tyria would be changed forever……..i dont see anything along the lines of changed, devs said 1 time event……..so that means a 1 time event for each character. this was known since beta, /thread.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Daemon.7682

Daemon.7682

You could only open the chest once. PER ACCOUNT.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Shiva.4713

Shiva.4713

I do agree that people who ran the event twice AND getting the loot should get ban hammered.
Myself, not proud to admit it, got Dawn during the weapon exploit, of course I got banned for it. Once unbanned I immediately deleted it.

But now a new exploit shows up and I see threads of people getting multiple precursors, the same way as before, through an exploit.

If these people are not punished this will leave a very bitter aftertaste for people who are actually playing fair after the first warning/ban.

I do not care if some people got a precursor or not, either you have luck or you don’t. But abusing the system to get multiple rewards is not right..

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

It was supposed to be a one time event. One time implies ONCE ONE ONE ONE time only.

How is it hard to understand?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Littlefeather.8623

Littlefeather.8623

More like wow almost 400g for the precurser?

Yea, Im glad those who inflated the market gets denied and the price has to drop. Greedy kittens kept increasing the prices now time to eat it and like it.

Crazy Leg

in The Lost Shores

Kandrick.8054

It was supposed to be a one time event. One time implies ONCE ONE ONE ONE time only.

How is it hard to understand?

It is hard to understand because it needs to be qualified – i.e. Once per account or Once per character. They are both Once, One, One..

Both statements apply to the once, one time criteria but have totally different meaning.

in The Lost Shores

Tammuz.7361

Yea, except the numbers and the reality didnt match up, out of my guild of people who did the event about 50% got precursors.

Of those who got precursors about 50% got 2 precursors (from a single chest), and 1 person even got 3 precursors from a single chest drop.

The chance of getting ANY precursor from the chest had to be closer to 40-50% at least.

in The Lost Shores

Tammuz.7361

or in Guild Wars 2:

I’m not even sure the decimal point was misplaced. They DID say drop rate was increased & literally 99% of the online population of the game was participating, therefore leading to an insane amount of drops. Was it a bit much? Maybe. Was the decimal misplaced? Possibly. But if they intended it to be on multi characters I think it would have been all DAY rather than “one time”. This to me just means that a few servers lagged behind or weren’t as fast, letting people take advantage of that.

It was all DAY, people were still completing the event at 11:30 est last night when I logged off and went to bed.

Thats NOT server lagging just a little behind.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Boogiepophantom.3041

Boogiepophantom.3041

A one time event that 99 percent of oceanics couldnt make ?
A one time event that caused alt of dcs so people couldnt get the original chest
A one time event where no one i knew got a precurser
ban hammer for something that seemed like damage control but it wasnt a well thought out event you say someone sounds a little hurt

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Ekove.4586

Ekove.4586

And what’s the limit on how many toons per account a player can run? you realize some people have 8? You realize people can delete/create character to re run it which is actually what someone in my guild did after already running it with all his already existing characters….I ran it with about 4-5 of my characters everyday and got a total of 4 exotics each worth 2-5 gold…total; made no more than 20 gold over the course of 4 days.

Now I have nothing against it, I was ok with it for an event like halloween where it was an increased chance to get a random exotic from the chests…

For this one, it is guaranteed to get 2 extremely useful exotics PLUS a very high chance to get some of the most expensive items in the game PLUS a chance to get a few random rares/exotics. The reward was too big to allow people to run it multiple times on the same account, when some people ran it once or struggled to finally run it once before it ended. The total some people made in this event is 500g+…hell just running it once with one character and not getting any fancy drops is a guaranteed 20g.

in The Lost Shores

Rengaru.4730

It is hard to understand because it needs to be qualified – i.e. Once per account or Once per character. They are both Once, One, One..

Or maybe, and I quote : “This once-in-a-lifetime event takes place NOW on November 18—don’t miss it”

(Please don’t come with “once-in-a-lifetime per account or character?” after this, thanks a lot)

edit:

and 1 person even got 3 precursors from a single chest drop.

I call BS on this one, everyone I know got the Chest (which always contained the earring and the 20-slot-box) two exotics and two rares.

Also I havn’t seen anyone claiming he got two precursors from a single Chest.

(edited by Rengaru.4730)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Boogiepophantom.3041

Boogiepophantom.3041

but the question is how many of these " people " made 500g gold i was lucky enough to get a second chance at a run because I couldnt make the first one beign such a horrible kittening time for oceanic people and got 2 crappy healing items i made less then 2g
i was happy with the bag and trinket but its the same as anybody else got

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Oghier.7419

Oghier.7419

What was the exploit? If you ran the event twice with the same character, you only got to pop the chest once. The second time, it was already open and non-interactable.

Snit Dirtnap (Thief)
Ratbag Dogsticker (Guardian)
…Yak’s Bend

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

What was the exploit? If you ran the event twice with the same character, you only got to pop the chest once. The second time, it was already open and non-interactable.

You could do it multiple times on different toons, you couldn’t loot the chest a 2nd time on the same character BUT you could quickly make a new one and do it again to loot it again.

Basically if you wanted multiple 20 slot bags/exotic loot etc you could simply create a level 1 toons really quick, get an invite to an active event and loot the chest – then afterwards do it again, and again etc.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.