10,000 Drinks? Why such a grind?

in Living World

Posted by: Cash.2385

Cash.2385

I would think they don’t want to see everyone with winter’s day presence, but it one of the cool things you could earn. You can’t purchase it so I was hoping we can get the drinks down to 1,000. I think its a little much, call me a light weight? I guess that just how it goes.

in Living World

Posted by: Anima.2973

Anima.2973

I agree that’s quite too much, even Connoiseur of Confection requires “only” to eat 2.500 candy canes.

in Living World

Posted by: Drath.9702

Drath.9702

Anet obviously hates our livers.

in Living World

Cash.2385

I’m fortunate enough to have some friends that are new to Guild Wars 2, they managed to give me an additional 400 drinks, his response when I told him it was 10,000 plus the jumping puzzle, which we struggled at, then crafting in the mystic forge. Was that he doesn’t play enough to justify it. This is my plea to the developers whatever your executive decision was to keep it at this grand total. Should be a legendary aura or shoulder piece skin not exotic and could we lower the total to around 5,000 better yet 1,000. Please…

P.S I don’t understand how they can promote so much alcohol consumtion.

in Living World

Cash.2385

Personally I want a pipe so my toon can smoke.

in Living World

Cash.2385

Plus my friends motivation was when I told him he could do it, get the shoulders now I look like an idiot. Why? because.

in Living World

Posted by: BlackDeath.4398

BlackDeath.4398

Agreed, even with playing i will probs have to buy 2-3 hundred g worth of drinks.. just for a backpiece that will most likely only be used in winter.

in Living World

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

wait wait wait wait….10,000? oh man! I thought it was 1000………I wonder how that conversation went:

Dev 1: “Ok everyone lets talk achievements, we can re-use the one’s from last year. Any ideas?”
Dev 2: “How about a grind one? players collect drinks from presents. We could do 100, 500, and 10,000”
Dev 1: “Excuse me, what was the last one?”
Dev 2: “10,000”
Dev 1: “give this guy a raise!”

in Living World

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

It’s supposed to be a rare and valuable cosmetic item.

But what about 150 games of snowball mayhem, 210 complete bell songs, 150 rounds of toypacalypse, 75 successful jump puzzles?

Those achievements are ridiculous. Doesn’t anet know that there is also a very grindy Pvp league going right me too?

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Living World

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

It’s supposed to be a rare and valuable cosmetic item.

But what about 150 games of snowball mayhem, 210 complete bell songs, 150 rounds of toypacalypse, 75 successful jump puzzles?

Those achievements are ridiculous. Doesn’t anet know that there is also a very grindy Pvp league going right me too?

You don’t need those achievements for the skin. Those specific ones just give you more AP, but there’s a separate achievement for each of those activities for the skin specifically.

in Living World

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

seems like they upped the amount of drinks in the presents the last update(im getting twice as many) so maybe someone thought it was a bit excessive

in Living World

Cash.2385

I think it would be a very merry winters day (Christmas) if they at least reduced to around 5,000 half. I’d rather be spending my winters days hangout with family and friends, playing rainbow six siege, not grinding bell choir ensemble.

in Living World

Cash.2385

Merry winters day? surprise we reduced it so now you can have your shoulders ahhh thanks developing team. Reality…

*Destroy
*Consume All

in Living World

Posted by: Emma J.1940

Emma J.1940

well between the 10000 drinks and not getting into the Jp is going to a very rare skin

in Living World

Posted by: Seekingblade.8716

Seekingblade.8716

And this is why I use outfits instead of a impossible skin collection

in Living World

Posted by: cymn.7384

cymn.7384

Guys, Gaile Gray said the achievement was going on even after wintersday, so you can do other things than grinding it. Of course it’ll be a bit harder after wintersday is gone, but you’ll be able to do it.

https://t.co/QmGbqPt1Sx

in Living World

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

Guys, Gaile Gray said the achievement was going on even after wintersday, so you can do other things than grinding it. Of course it’ll be a bit harder after wintersday is gone, but you’ll be able to do it.

Only if you have gold. The tree doesn’t provide enough presents to complete it and with presents removed from drops, the price will only rise. If you don’t have time and can’t afford it now, you’ve got no chance after wintersday ends. Anets claim that it can still be done is complete bunkum.

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Only if you have gold. The tree doesn’t provide enough presents to complete it and with presents removed from drops, the price will only rise. If you don’t have time and can’t afford it now, you’ve got no chance after wintersday ends. Anets claim that it can still be done is complete bunkum.

The supply of presents will slow down considerably after Wintersday ends, true.

However, it does mean that it carries over until next year. So if you’re willing to wait a year, the supply will jump again, there will hopefully be less demand as some people will have given up or gotten it this year, and you’ll still have whatever progress you’ve gained towards it.

in Living World

wolfyrik.2017

The supply of presents will slow down considerably after Wintersday ends, true.

However, it does mean that it carries over until next year. So if you’re willing to wait a year, the supply will jump again, there will hopefully be less demand as some people will have given up or gotten it this year, and you’ll still have whatever progress you’ve gained towards it.

If the required drinks are still available and if you can put in the huge amount of hours next year. If not, you could be looking at a 3 year haul. I have so little time available to play the game that, I’ll be lucky to a hit a thousand drinks by january. At this rate, I’ll have the shoulders in 10 years, assuming they don’t remove the achieve, which so far, they’ve done every single year or the present rewards.

in Living World

Posted by: Mushroomz.4280

Mushroomz.4280

The 10k drinks isn’t bad… I can’t do the jumping puzzle, my internet has too much latency………………………………………………………………………………………………………. I’m out all of the money I spent on drinks.

in Living World

wolfyrik.2017

The 10k drinks isn’t bad… I can’t do the jumping puzzle, my internet has too much latency………………………………………………………………………………………………………. I’m out all of the money I spent on drinks.

Which is why the 10,000 drinks is bad. You shouldn’t have had to do that. If the achievement was about skills or prestige, then the items would be account bound to prevent sale, like all the other prestigious unlocks. The achievement is a poor and cynical plan to redistribute gold and remove festive items from the AH. A plan which is failing as we speak. It’s not about fun, achievement or christmas cheer, it’s just a thinly veiled metric-based gold-sink.

This is Anet in full scrooge mode.

To put how bad this achievement is, into context; PWE the owners of numerous MMOs, who bought up games such as Star Trek Online and turned them into little more than phone-apps, which are designed to nickel-and-dime players every step of the way. PWE are reviled by many gamers because of their skeevy business practices and f2P models which skirt P2W if not dive straight into it. They are a nasty piece of cynical work.
Their christmas event uses the same metric-farming ideas that Anet has put into play this last year. STO has done it this way for several years now. You log-in, play a specific event, time-gated which is the only real difference, so you can only play the specific event (a 2 minute race on an icy track) once every 20 hours. you need to play it 25 times in a 30-31 day period and each play awards you 40 tokens. You need a thousand tokens to get the reward. In this case, a top-tier, themed starship. The same grade of ship they charge around £10 for the rest of the year round. It’s roughly the equivalent of being able to buy a legendary weapon in GW2.

Yet all he player needs to get this ship is 25 goes on single event. 25 goes at several mintues each. 1000 items attained in groups of 40. Now compare that to festive Imbiber, 10,000 items gained one at a time requiring, if you can get into the jump-puzzle, around 62 hours of play assuming you can do it every three minutes like clockwork.

That’s right. PWE the penny-pinching, monsters of the mmo-sphere. Villains almost as infamous as konami or EA, actually have the festive and moral high-ground over Anet this christmas.
PWE actually treat their players with more respect than Anet do, this winter.

Let that sink in.

in Living World

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

I play the game casually for like 30 mins a day and have made 80 gold selling those drinks, so it can be a blessing for gold-makers but a nightmare for ppl wanting the skin

in Living World

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

people dont realise 10k drinks does 2 things, it offers a big farm opportunity for those that like it, and it generates value for the drinks for everone else, thats not bad.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in Living World

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

people dont realise 10k drinks does 2 things, it offers a big farm opportunity for those that like it, and it generates value for the drinks for everone else, thats not bad.

It also ruins a fair amount of livers.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Living World

Posted by: Ssenkra Bloodroot.1028

Ssenkra Bloodroot.1028

It’s probably too late to change this now, but I hope and pray that Anet never does anything this asinine ever again.

10,000 drinks is doable, crafting 3 extremely expensive items is doable, but BOTH is borderline impossible. I’ve been at this since the events started minus maybe the first 3 days, and in that time I have lost ALL of my money, and I’ve only just now hit the 1,000 drink mark.

Anet needs to have an epic armor reward for collections, AND an epic armor reward for crafting. If you try to combine the two the result is a grind and a money dump, neither of which are fun.

Please reconsider if you ever decide to try this again. It’s an absolutely horrible idea..

“Those who are closest to death are often the best at preventing it.” Zal Varata

in Living World

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

GW2 was sold to us 3 years ago as casual-friendly and less grinds, funny how that’s all gone out of the window when the ex-wow players decided to play the game and demand these stupid things. Apparently time-sink and time-gated in-game mechanics is a good indication of how “good” you are at PvE. BS.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

in Living World

Posted by: Kenny Mack.2653

Kenny Mack.2653

OK, I wasn’t going to weigh in on this but now I can’t resist.

All those complaining, just behave. Stop.

1. Just because something is in the game DOES NOT mean you have a right to get it.
2. Do you own everything else? Do you own all the Legendaries? Are you complaining about “not having realistic access” to those?
3. Do you have all the other exotic premier skins? Mjolniir, Feathers of Dwayna, Volcanus etc etc?
4. Do you own all the different, expensive back pieces?
5. This event is going to run all year and beyond. If you want it, you will eventually get it. Stop being petulant and whining because you can’t have it now. Are you aware of which demographic is famous for this kind of attitude?
6. You can wait and get it next year.
7. We are not even a week into this event yet, keep plugging away and see where you get.
8. I will repeat my first point – JUST BECAUSE IT’S IN GAME DOESN’T MEAN YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO IT!

I personally loved the skin, and was willing to grind and pay for it. I must also stress that I did not pay hundreds upon hundreds of gold to finish it. I spent significantly less than I have on other normal skins. I did need to farm the JP for a couple of days, but who cares!? Nobody is forcing you to get this skin. If you want it, work for it.

/rant

in Living World

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

No offense Kenny, but your rant loses a lot of oomph if you end it with ‘I bought it!’ because it turns your whole argument into a ’I want to be a special snowflake!’ message.

…Pun totally intended.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Living World

Posted by: Kenny Mack.2653

Kenny Mack.2653

“grind and pay for it” and and and!

Also, payment means gold, blood, sweat and tears!

in Living World

wolfyrik.2017

1. Just because something is in the game DOES NOT mean you have a right to get it.

So what you’re saying is some people have more rights than others? So you see yourself as special and more deserving? Nice attitude. Also I don’t think anyone claimed this anyway, so nice strawman argument.

2. Do you own everything else? Do you own all the Legendaries? Are you complaining about “not having realistic access” to those?

No because, they’re not behind a timegate. These can be achieved with preseverence through-out the year. Also this isn’t a legendary item, it’s a festival skin. Another nice Strawman you just burned there.

3. Do you have all the other exotic premier skins? Mjolniir, Feathers of Dwayna, Volcanus etc etc?

Completely irrelevent. You’re just trying to add to your list. WP isn’t a pay item, it’s supposed to be available to everyone. No Gems required. So that’s red-herring argument.

Same nonsense as 2 and 3. You’re repeating yourself, 4 points in and still haven’t made a single valid argument. GG

5. This event is going to run all year and beyond. If you want it, you will eventually get it. Stop being petulant and whining because you can’t have it now. Are you aware of which demographic is famous for this kind of attitude?

This argument has already been debunked. People without sufficent time to play and not enough gold to pay will still have this problem the rest of the year, especially since the only access to presents will be TP or Gift Tree at a rate of one per day. Which isn’t enough and cost will only increase, which makes the continuation of the achieve largely irrelevent.

Already debunked. See 5 and previous posts in these threads.

7. We are not even a week into this event yet, keep plugging away and see where you get.

People are capable of calculating time investment, and the requirements for farm based acquisition have already been calculated. This point has already been debunked in pretty much every one of these threads.

8. I will repeat my first point – JUST BECAUSE IT’S IN GAME DOESN’T MEAN YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO IT!

No you’re right, the skin is only for special snowflakes like you who can buy it. Everyone else is undeserving, right? Halleluja I’ve seen the light, thank you Kenny!

I personally loved the skin, and was willing to grind and pay

Thanks for proving the point we’ve been making.

I must also stress that I did not pay hundreds upon hundreds of gold to finish it. I spent significantly less than I have on other normal skins. I did need to farm the JP for a couple of days, but who cares!? Nobody is forcing you to get this skin. If you want it, work for it.

/rant

Thanks for proving our other point.

There’s literally no good reason to exclude people from having access to festive skins. WP is literally the only new christmas skin available to people outside of the cash shop, why shouldn’t everyone have a fair chance at getting it? If it was about effort, skill and prestige, then why is the achievement purchasable? Every other skin in the game that’s for prestige and skill, is locked behind account bound items.

Kudos though, you made an 8 point rant and not a single, solitary one of your points was a valid argument for why the skin shouldn’t be accessible to everyone. Infact, not one of them was even relevent to the arguments in these threads. It’s like you just ranted without understanding or even trying to understand the problems people have with it.

Good job, matey.

(edited by wolfyrik.2017)

in Living World

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Entitled say what.

I remember in the 80’s if you were not good enough and did not practice enough you just did not get to see the final boss, games were fun.

I remember pinball machines where you did not get to see the special features activate if you did not put enough practice in. Pinball games were fun.

I remember in the 90’s to progress in many styles of game you had to farm lots or go through the full game multiple times to get the special rewards and items. games were fun.

I remember mmorpg where you simply you chose to either farr for a thing or not get it, the choice was yours – yup they weree fun too.

And now in GW2 im offered a myriad of different items that take between minutes and years to gather – same fun to be had.

However.. now wer have people who think they are entitled to stuff because its ‘fair’ in their head – they want it, they should get it! fun? no just selfish and short sighted.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in Living World

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

What grind? Just buy all the drinks off the TP. There’s no grind in that. You are only creating the grind by farming gifts.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

in Living World

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

10k is cuz they want the guys who have money/credit cards to buy it right with money → gem → gold conversion.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

in Living World

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

So is it going to be 10k smokes next?
I mean we already have the beerbelly and a chance to die from alcohol poisoning.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

in Living World

Posted by: pilip.6753

pilip.6753

P.S I don’t understand how they can promote so much alcohol consumtion.

Agreed, this is ridiculus. I would prefer eat Candy Cane instead of alcohol.

in Living World

Posted by: Gatvin.6510

Gatvin.6510

Lets do some math. 10,000 is a big number, but there’s ways to chop into it. Now lets assume that you can only get 10 wintersday gifts a day. it would take you almost three years of wintersday to be able to complete this achievement. Yikes!

Fortunately the game gives you plenty of options for getting well over 10 wintersday gifts per day. Its conceivable that you could get say 100 gifts a day, without much issue(even if only by dumping Karma on it). Now instead of three years, we’re down to 3 months and some change.

Now at that rate anyone could very realistically do it in (roughly) three months without purchasing a single drink from the auction house. Historically, wintersday CAN stick around for quite a while, but we don’t know it will do that this year.

Now I’ve got one good thing and one bad thing to point out here. The bad thing is that drinks drop from presents at a slightly lower rate than 1-per. The good thing is that if you’re focused, you can get pretty easily 2-300 gifts a day and you probably will grinding all the other achievments for the shoulders aside from Claw of Jormag. That means you can get it down to about a month and a half of grinding (admittedly every day), again before touching the auction house to get drinks.

If we’re safe and assume wintersday lasts about a month, you’ve still got about 1/3 of the 10,000 you’ll need to buy on the AH. at current rates of about 8 silver a drink, that will still be a steep price, roughly 270 gold. Though on the other hand I sometimes look at prices and go “that’s a ton” then I look at my bank full of crafting mats I rarely use and go “hm….”.

Its all intimidating, but it is a challenge to overcome. Ask yourself these questions if you’re going for the shoulders:

How frequently and at what rate can you grind gifts?
How much gold are you willing to spend?
How much are you willing to grind/spend to help a friend doing this?
Do the answers to these work out to 10,000 gifts? If so, go for it! If not, there’s a lot of cool stuff to do in gw2, and hey, maybe you’ll get a precourser drop doing other stuff.

Once you know these things, its just a question of when does wintersday end?

in Living World

Gatvin.6510

Ah one more thing, it WOULD have been cool for anet to add some drink-crafting recipes for chef this release, but alas that economic outlet isn’t a thing. Also, it does depend on if you can continue earning pieces throughout the year as well because there is a very small inflow of gifts throughout the year. I wouldn’t rely on that though as historically you can’t get achievements for holidays when the festival is over.

in Living World

Posted by: sirrealist.1360

sirrealist.1360

Once you know these things, its just a question of when does wintersday end?

See this post from Gaile Gray (ArenaNet Forum Communications Team Lead) 11 days ago:

We’ve noticed that you’ve had a few questions about Wintersday, and specifically about the Wintersday Presence Collection. We’d like to share the following info with you:

• Wintersday is scheduled to end on January 12, 2016.
  • We will be leaving the Festive Imbiber achievement active throughout the year.
  • We will not be able to change the text that indicates it’s a Wintersday-only achievement, but you will be able to continue to imbide (in moderation, please – think of the dolyak children!) to gain that achievement.

Enjoy the festival and we’ll see you in the game!

in Living World

Gatvin.6510

Thanks Sirrealist. The fact that the achievement stays up throughout the year makes this much more doable.

in Living World

Posted by: Hakuryuu.8634

Hakuryuu.8634

From the way I see it, 10000 drinks forcibly drain the gold from the rich and the hoarder, and allow the casual players to fill their pockets during the holiday time. That’s why I really appreciate the thoughts went into designing this item, and any prestigious skins which comes after this.

in Living World

Posted by: thunderfall.8095

thunderfall.8095

So what you’re saying is some people have more rights than others? So you see yourself as special and more deserving? Nice attitude. Also I don’t think anyone claimed this anyway, so nice strawman argument.

No because, they’re not behind a timegate. These can be achieved with preseverence through-out the year. Also this isn’t a legendary item, it’s a festival skin. Another nice Strawman you just burned there.

Completely irrelevent. You’re just trying to add to your list. WP isn’t a pay item, it’s supposed to be available to everyone. No Gems required. So that’s red-herring argument.

Same nonsense as 2 and 3. You’re repeating yourself, 4 points in and still haven’t made a single valid argument. GG

This argument has already been debunked. People without sufficent time to play and not enough gold to pay will still have this problem the rest of the year, especially since the only access to presents will be TP or Gift Tree at a rate of one per day. Which isn’t enough and cost will only increase, which makes the continuation of the achieve largely irrelevent.

Already debunked. See 5 and previous posts in these threads.

People are capable of calculating time investment, and the requirements for farm based acquisition have already been calculated. This point has already been debunked in pretty much every one of these threads.

No you’re right, the skin is only for special snowflakes like you who can buy it. Everyone else is undeserving, right? Halleluja I’ve seen the light, thank you Kenny!

I personally loved the skin, and was willing to grind and pay

Thanks for proving the point we’ve been making.

I must also stress that I did not pay hundreds upon hundreds of gold to finish it. I spent significantly less than I have on other normal skins. I did need to farm the JP for a couple of days, but who cares!? Nobody is forcing you to get this skin. If you want it, work for it.

/rant

Thanks for proving our other point.

There’s literally no good reason to exclude people from having access to festive skins. WP is literally the only new christmas skin available to people outside of the cash shop, why shouldn’t everyone have a fair chance at getting it? If it was about effort, skill and prestige, then why is the achievement purchasable? Every other skin in the game that’s for prestige and skill, is locked behind account bound items.

Kudos though, you made an 8 point rant and not a single, solitary one of your points was a valid argument for why the skin shouldn’t be accessible to everyone. Infact, not one of them was even relevent to the arguments in these threads. It’s like you just ranted without understanding or even trying to understand the problems people have with it.

Good job, matey.

kitten good job identifing the rhetoric techniques. I don’t think he knew he used them, but he did. Are you are rhetoritisian?

Mesmers be like: I reject your reality and substitute my own. – compliments to Mythbusters
Plot Twist: Elder Dragons are massive robots created by the Black Lion Trading Company.
Think of the money they make off weapons and armor…

in Living World

Posted by: thunderfall.8095

thunderfall.8095

For those who have no idea what a strawman is, it is a point meant to divert the argument from a point you know you will lose on.

Mesmers be like: I reject your reality and substitute my own. – compliments to Mythbusters
Plot Twist: Elder Dragons are massive robots created by the Black Lion Trading Company.
Think of the money they make off weapons and armor…

in Living World

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Well think of all the new players who sold all their presents, I’ve made a few hundred gold off these shoulder pieces

in Living World

Posted by: EKAN.4051

EKAN.4051

Well think of all the new players who sold all their presents, I’ve made a few hundred gold off these shoulder pieces

Hehe ya ^^ Think I payed 700g+ just for the 10k drinks >.<

“Death is just another path”

(edited by EKAN.4051)

in Living World

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I’ll happily sell all my drinks hoarded the past few weeks for gold. Silly shoulders with a couple of snowflakes around you lol.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong