Everyone who did not vote earned cash

in Living World

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Also a small thing to point, plenty of people here took part in the voting and deleted the remainder once they felt they had no more value. You just had a few hours to make that choice.

Consider that people who didnt want to take part in the voting at all considered this tokens worthless from day one.

Somehow I doubt people who didnt take part in the voting event really made that much cash if any at all.

Arenanet arent rewarding those who didnt take part, they’re rewarding the ones that took part and had some left overs.

in Living World

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

What the crazy hell Anet? First you screw me by closing the vote to early, so I DELETE My 700. Now you bring this patch? omfgodders. I’m totally kitten ed off now. I lost 7g, due to no warning system. Anet i hate you.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in Living World

Galen Grey.4709

Well kitten, I knew I shouldn’t have converted that last bunch… We should be able to sell the badges as well. Period.

Part of me agrees with you and it would benefit me too but I can understand why they didnt do it like that.

One the influx of gold would be drastic. That could have a negative effect on the economy. Another argument against it is by putting your vote in you already got your value back. While if you just got the support ticket you didnt get anything for earning that ticket.

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Well kitten, I knew I shouldn’t have converted that last bunch… We should be able to sell the badges as well. Period.

this

in Living World

Posted by: Tarnsman.8092

Tarnsman.8092

Makes me sad I deleted all mine…stupid things taking up too much inventory space…

in Living World

Posted by: jmdragon.7956

jmdragon.7956

If I had known each vote was costing me 1.1s I would not have voted 400 times. I feel penalized for participating. Let us do something with these representation buttons, please.

in Living World

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Dang, deleted the few I got after the vote was tallied.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Living World

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Part of me agrees with you and it would benefit me too but I can understand why they didnt do it like that.

One the influx of gold would be drastic. That could have a negative effect on the economy. Another argument against it is by putting your vote in you already got your value back. While if you just got the support ticket you didnt get anything for earning that ticket.

Yes and no…..

Im sure there were people that tosses the tokens in for no other reason than they had nothing better to do with them (like me). Like kitten I’m going to be able to use 100 Keil badges in 2 weeks. I don’t play that much.

It would only seem fair to allow us to sell the excess badges similarly to excess tokens. If you’re paying for one, why the heck not the other. Even if they knocked them down to 50c each, that’s fine.

One could only argue their vote only had value if their candidate won. The people that lost are going to be sore anyway. In addition to that, people that have bunches of both badges just sort of feel completely screwed, since they really didn’t care who won either way. They would have been better off just not doing it. How is that right?

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Living World

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Soo much Bullsh….

Soo many people I know had tokens they just threw away as there was no intention on their use afterwards -.- come on anet… :@ :@

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Living World

Posted by: Kajin.5301

Kajin.5301

This as to be the most kitten twisted sense of entitlement you guys are expressing. Ashamed of calling you fellow gamers. Wth is wrong with u ppl.

Skysap & Qaju & Juqa -VILE- Desolation

in Living World

Posted by: Caledore.6271

Caledore.6271

They should really buy back the representation badges for the same cost. Doesn’t make any sense to only buy back support tokens only.

in Living World

Posted by: hplee.2839

hplee.2839

Players: hey Anet what do i have to do with those leftover event token, they are useless and they are taking up my bag and bank slots.

Anet: delete them

Players: awww what a waste

NOW

Players: hey Anet what do i have to do with teh token i have so many left overs

Anet: you can now vendor them, earn yourself a little gold

Players: (nerd-rage on the forum)

Orisis Stonehart
Blackgate Militia

in Living World

Posted by: Wallach.7291

Wallach.7291

Players: hey Anet what do i have to do with those leftover event token, they are useless and they are taking up my bag and bank slots.

NOW

You probably need to tell them that before they destroy them if you don’t want them to be upset. That is the actual issue.

in Living World

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Well…
It’s a double oversight on anet’s part:
1) Everyone who spent all their tokens to cast votes get jack kitten.
2) Everyone who though they were worthless and wasn’t told otherwise, and therefore deleted them, gets jack kitten.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

(edited by Quick Mouse.7635)

in Living World

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

I find the logic of some in this thread quite disturbing.

Because of the update, for those who casted their vote, each vote was basically 1.1s spent. I’m willing to bet that if people knew this ahead of time, they wouldn’t have bothered to vote, or at least repeatedly vote over and over.

People voted on the premise that the tickets had no other use and they might as well use them to support the npc they wanted to see win.

Those who never bothered to vote, never bothered to participate, and simply held onto their tickets, they got a very nice payday. In addition to this, they (those who didn’t vote) get the benefit of the winning npc.

It’s not as if this is a little something for people who were away and couldn’t log in to play. If you couldn’t log in to participate, then you didn’t accumulate any tickets. You had to be playing to get the tickets. This means that the people getting free gold, are those who simply chose not to participate and held onto the tickets.

Those who didn’t participate are getting paid while those who did are getting a slap in the face for doing it.

Oh, well, I guess with the next event that makes use of some token, people won’t use the token for it’s intended use just in case they can profit from it later. They shot themselves in the foot for future events.

in Living World

LanfearShadowflame.3189

This as to be the most kitten twisted sense of entitlement you guys are expressing. Ashamed of calling you fellow gamers. Wth is wrong with u ppl.

I think the issue here is that those that didnt use their tokens are now being rewarded for it. While those that did, and may have a bunch of badges in their inventory get the short end of the stick. So to speak. In essence, not participating would have paid off more so than doing so (possible. I did make some decent gold from Aspect Arena, and it was a blast). Still, the point is, it kind of feels like those that horded the tokens but didnt vote are being paid off for not partaking.

- snip-

I still would have voted. I just only have gotten badges as I needed/wanted them though. Rather than feeling like I need to go convert them when I got a bunch. I converted a ton of tokens knowing that I’d absolutely never have enough game time to use them all. It sort of feels like a slap in the face now. ‘Well you voted, those badges are worthless. But we’ll pay you 1s for each token you didn’t use’ Huh?

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

in Living World

Posted by: Winespring Brother.2970

Winespring Brother.2970

Lesson: hoarding pays off.

Ever since I got a bunch of http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Miniature_Pig and held onto them for no reason (at the time), I’ve learned to not delete anything, just in case.

Also, the tokens kept dropping after the election was over, so it was a nice gesture to give them some value.

Yak’s Bend
Charr Ranger of the Iron Legion

in Living World

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

This is silly, it encourages / rewards players who do not take part…

The remaining representation token should be sellable for double what the unused support tokens are sellable for, so participation is encouraged not discouraged…

If it remains as it is in future all players are just going to hoard tokens expecting a payoff at the end of the event…Anet have shot themselves in the foot…

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

in Living World

Galen Grey.4709

Yes and no…..

Im sure there were people that tosses the tokens in for no other reason than they had nothing better to do with them (like me). Like kitten I’m going to be able to use 100 Keil badges in 2 weeks. I don’t play that much.

It would only seem fair to allow us to sell the excess badges similarly to excess tokens. If you’re paying for one, why the heck not the other. Even if they knocked them down to 50c each, that’s fine.

One could only argue their vote only had value if their candidate won. The people that lost are going to be sore anyway. In addition to that, people that have bunches of both badges just sort of feel completely screwed, since they really didn’t care who won either way. They would have been better off just not doing it. How is that right?

Thats not exactly accurate though, The idea of casting a vote is not just so you can get a badge. That was just part of it. The main idea is to help your candidate win. For better or worst your choice made a difference.

As for the argument of the vote having value only if their candidate won. Thats not true either. Which candidate won is the outcome of the exercise. That was determined by which candidate had the most votes. Each vote counted for that ergo all votes had value. Even if you supported Evon and Evon lost when you cast your votes you had a say in that you wanted Evon to win and each vote cast made that outcome more likely.

But yes, a smaller price for badges might be a fair middle road I agree with you there.

in Living World

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Well kitten … I destroyed a great many of them because I couldn’t be bothered with all the clicking involved with voting.

in Living World

Galen Grey.4709

NOW

You probably need to tell them that before they destroy them if you don’t want them to be upset. That is the actual issue.

They advised us less then 24hrs after the event ended. They couldnt tell us before the event ended… that would rig the event, essentially ruining it. Telling us in the patch notes was a sensible move.

in Living World

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I used all my votes 50%/50%.

That was votes well spent.

in Living World

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Not having them salable is a more logical move.

Let’s spend a moment to think about the logical consequence of this. Is anyone going to vote in any subsequent elections? No. At least not the next one.

So, by rewarding players who did not participate, ANet is providing an incentive to hoard future items from future content. Especially if the content consumes an item without actually providing direct value back to the player. (Yes, I know you get to vote on a fractal, but I mean direct immediate value).

IDK, but I don’t see how that’s a good idea.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Living World

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

Crap, I’ve deleted 100’s of votes lol. Ah well.

in Living World

Posted by: Wallach.7291

Wallach.7291

They advised us less then 24hrs after the event ended. They couldnt tell us before the event ended… that would rig the event, essentially ruining it. Telling us in the patch notes was a sensible move.

If that’s true, then the sensible move would have been to not apply a monetary value to these things so that their previous value would have remained intact. There isn’t much sensible about changing the value of these items right after the fact so that the perception of the value of their participation becomes skewed. Plus you open the door to creating the very issue a lot of people here now have where they deleted an item that intuitively no longer had value could get screwed.

What a silly decision.

in Living World

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

I find the logic of some in this thread quite disturbing.

Because of the update, for those who casted their vote, each vote was basically 1.1s spent. I’m willing to bet that if people knew this ahead of time, they wouldn’t have bothered to vote, or at least repeatedly vote over and over.

People voted on the premise that the tickets had no other use and they might as well use them to support the npc they wanted to see win.

Those who never bothered to vote, never bothered to participate, and simply held onto their tickets, they got a very nice payday. In addition to this, they (those who didn’t vote) get the benefit of the winning npc.

It’s not as if this is a little something for people who were away and couldn’t log in to play. If you couldn’t log in to participate, then you didn’t accumulate any tickets. You had to be playing to get the tickets. This means that the people getting free gold, are those who simply chose not to participate and held onto the tickets.

Those who didn’t participate are getting paid while those who did are getting a slap in the face for doing it.

Oh, well, I guess with the next event that makes use of some token, people won’t use the token for it’s intended use just in case they can profit from it later. They shot themselves in the foot for future events.

Not entirely accurate. You’re attributing a behavior (not selling tokens) based on the conclusion.

The fact is that during the course of the event, ALL players knew the value of the tokens to be equal to 1 vote.

If not participating, players should have been indifferent to keeping the tokens or destroying them based on their own perceived value.

If you really want to get into it, the question anyone who voted multiple times should have been asking themselves was why they voted more than once (or in this case more times than they needed for the acheivements).

in Living World

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Thats not exactly accurate though, The idea of casting a vote is not just so you can get a badge. That was just part of it. The main idea is to help your candidate win. For better or worst your choice made a difference.

As for the argument of the vote having value only if their candidate won. Thats not true either. Which candidate won is the outcome of the exercise. That was determined by which candidate had the most votes. Each vote counted for that ergo all votes had value. Even if you supported Evon and Evon lost when you cast your votes you had a say in that you wanted Evon to win and each vote cast made that outcome more likely.

But yes, a smaller price for badges might be a fair middle road I agree with you there.

There will always be people that feel their vote didn’t count for one reason or another.. their selection didn’t win, Anet had it planned it was all a farce, etc etc.

I think the biggest issue with offering to purchase the tokens back is that people feel that those that didn’t participate are being paid off. Which simply isn’t right.

in Living World

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

For the majority of us, I suspect they reasoned that the cash compensation would be insignificant. However I can confirm for newer players it is quite a decent boost.

in Living World

TooBz.3065

For the majority of us, I suspect they reasoned that the cash compensation would be insignificant. However I can confirm for newer players it is quite a decent boost.

I don’t know. I have a fair amount of gold, but if I knew that the 150ish tokens that I turned in could be worth 1g 50s I wouldn’t have voted. I definitely won’t do it again.

in Living World

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I really cannot imagine why A-Net would do this. It’s really beyond me, the logic that made someone think this was a useful move.

Whywhywhywhywhywhywhy? What are you achieving from doing something this stupid?

I ? Karkas.

in Living World

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

I don’t know. I have a fair amount of gold, but if I knew that the 150ish tokens that I turned in could be worth 1g 50s I wouldn’t have voted. I definitely won’t do it again.

Really?

I’ve seen items on the TP worth nearly 2000 Gold. If someone has anywhere near that much then 2G shouldn’t even be worth a keystroke….

in Living World

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Fair? It is fair.
Those who voted and took part in the election system got what they wanted. They were able to take part in something and vote for a candidate they wanted.
Those who didnt care about a virtual election of some NPC got nothing for this except token for an event they didnt care about. This is what those people get out of it.

What? As far as we knew there was 1 and only 1 use for these…voting. On top of that it took loads of clicking to vote. Had we known these would have any value I highly doubt many players at all would have used them outside of maybe 10 for the achievement. I know I used multiple stacks of these just b/c there simply wasn’t any use of them or value to them. Now I am told had I not wasted my time I would have been rewarded with a heafty amount of gold? Nah…this is udder crap.

Key words: A far as we knew. Which is why throwing your kitten out BEFORE you know what is going to be done with them is dumb as a bag of hammers. I used mine, but have some cause the tokens kept dropping anyway after polls closed. Also have a couple stacks of buttons. Hope I can sell those. Either way, with the wallet freeing a kitten load of slots from dungeon tokens, ain’t cramped for space. No one held a gun to your head and forced you to delete before you knew what would be done with things. Any of you.

in Living World

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Really?

I’ve seen items on the TP worth nearly 2000 Gold. If someone has anywhere near that much then 2G shouldn’t even be worth a keystroke….

I lost 5g from the tokens but I have +1000g in the bank and 5g alone isn’t much of a loss for me anyways.

But I can see how it would annoy people who have very few gold.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Living World

Posted by: BonzaiPlatypus.7091

BonzaiPlatypus.7091

As someone who forgot to turn in their tokens and subsequently destroy about 300 of them yesterday thinking they were useless…yeah. I’m angry.

in Living World

Posted by: BonzaiPlatypus.7091

BonzaiPlatypus.7091

Fair? It is fair.
Those who voted and took part in the election system got what they wanted. They were able to take part in something and vote for a candidate they wanted.
Those who didnt care about a virtual election of some NPC got nothing for this except token for an event they didnt care about. This is what those people get out of it.

What? As far as we knew there was 1 and only 1 use for these…voting. On top of that it took loads of clicking to vote. Had we known these would have any value I highly doubt many players at all would have used them outside of maybe 10 for the achievement. I know I used multiple stacks of these just b/c there simply wasn’t any use of them or value to them. Now I am told had I not wasted my time I would have been rewarded with a heafty amount of gold? Nah…this is udder crap.

Key words: A far as we knew. Which is why throwing your kitten out BEFORE you know what is going to be done with them is dumb as a bag of hammers. I used mine, but have some cause the tokens kept dropping anyway after polls closed. Also have a couple stacks of buttons. Hope I can sell those. Either way, with the wallet freeing a kitten load of slots from dungeon tokens, ain’t cramped for space. No one held a gun to your head and forced you to delete before you knew what would be done with things. Any of you.

Considering how long I’ve held onto other event tokens that have since proved useless I don’t think it’s that dumb to have deleted once we could no longer turn them in.

in Living World

TooBz.3065

Really?

By fair amount of gold I mean, I’m ok. I’m not rich, but if I want to buy a sigil or something I don’t sweat it.

So the super-rich will vote and the rest won’t.. Great. That’s a always been a functional model of government.

in Living World

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

think of it this way. the gold you would have made for voting went to pay for the giant holographic image of ellen kiel’s rear end, and for that, we all thank you!

in Living World

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

Yeah I destroyed mine because I figured they’d be useless… A bit sad to lose a few gold.
It’s very annoying, but nothing that will stop me playing or anything.

I don’t think it was a wise choice to make them ‘sellable’. Everyone that voted has ended up with useless buttons, which I’m now afraid to destroy in case they make those worth money…

For people that don’t think it’s a large amount of money lost, I do agree with that relatively speaking. However, for some players, that kind of money is actually pretty significant.

It’s a mild annoyance. I think for future situations, they should probably just ‘seize’ items that won’t ever be used again. Frees up inventory space and people won’t feel the need to hoard them.

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

in Living World

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

If players continue this behavior I have a feeling the only lesson learned here will be by Arenanet… Dont do nice things for players, they’re just unable to appreciate the gesture.

The point is that it’s not a nice thing if you make it unfair. Of course people would’ve gone for the gold if they knew beforehand…that’ll tell you how much people cared about the voting.

Ellen Kiel won…whoopteedoo. I could’ve had an extra 5g if I’d known. This game is set up to make people care more about gold than content. That’s what we should learn from this.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

in Living World

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Fair? It is fair.

Keep in mind though that aside from weapon skin tokens, other tokens have been mostly useless. So I don’t think anyone would have expected otherwise in this event.

It’s not really a problem for people of high gold amounts, but if you don’t have much gold, whilst its not devastating because you haven’t necessarily lost anything, it’s a pointless chance to miss out on a few extra gold. And it’s silly that people who didn’t even care about the event can just go along with the extra gold they have now, assuming they didn’t spend it all. If they simply left it as being another useless token everyone would be happy. :v

I ? Karkas.

in Living World

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

wow this completely blows…i voted a stack and then destroyed another stack after the results were announced…wtf

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in Living World

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

And to think I logged in over my lunch break yesterday just to use my remaining tokens before voting ended.

Wish I could have that couple of gold back.

Sure, a few gold isn’t much for some people, but a huge number of people are willing to do the world boss pinatas for a guaranteed rare worth only about 20s. Not all of us are sitting around on hundreds of gold.

in Living World

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

The moral of the story is don’t vote.

in Living World

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

I think they should make it sellable while the vote’s still available, to see which side REALLY want to support their candidate.

in Living World

Posted by: Boris Losdindawoods.3098

Boris Losdindawoods.3098

Yeah! So glad I ignored that stupid event.

Big water, blast, blast, blast.

in Living World

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Well that’s a nice gesture, take part in an event and get the reward of having voted(2+ stacks of votes cast). Do NOTHING and get rewarded in gold. Thank you ANET for the now useless left-over Representation Buttons that now clutter my inventory(we should be able to sell these as well).

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

in Living World

Galen Grey.4709

If players continue this behavior I have a feeling the only lesson learned here will be by Arenanet… Dont do nice things for players, they’re just unable to appreciate the gesture.

The point is that it’s not a nice thing if you make it unfair. Of course people would’ve gone for the gold if they knew beforehand…that’ll tell you how much people cared about the voting.

Ellen Kiel won…whoopteedoo. I could’ve had an extra 5g if I’d known. This game is set up to make people care more about gold than content. That’s what we should learn from this.

And how exactly did they make it unfair?

Voting for Ellen or Evon meant quite a few things:

How the story would continue and developed based on who is on the council.

Which dungeon you’d get

what perk you’d get (discounted waypoint vs keys)

What is 5g? with the dungeon changes it means probably 3 hours of dungeon runs. But lets go with average 2 days of game play…

So if 2 day profit are more important to a player then which permanent dungeon they get to experience forever more

or which character the story will focus on

or even a discount on the next set of weapon skins (keys) vs a month of discounted way points both of which are likely to be worth much more then 5g (weapons skins through keys for sure… a single one was selling for up to 60g during this event) I think you can hardly blame it on game content, its more like bad player priorities really.

from where I stand each of these 3 items are worth more then 5g individually much more taken together.

in Living World

TooBz.3065

@Galen Grey (sorry too long to quote).

You can’t see the perverse incentives this introduces into future content?

Participate in the event or hang on to whatever item and hope it’s worth money in the future. It’s like those refugee things you turned in during flame and frost. Knowing there’s a chance that they would be worth silver, wouldn’t you hold on to them? Is that what ANet wants?

Someone clearly did not think this through.

in Living World

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

Something none of you have mentioned are the crafting material vendors in Labyrinthine Cliffs . There was one who would trade candy corn and zhaitaffy for a zephyr sanctum box. This was enough of a hint to me to not spend any more tokens than i had to to get the achievements i wanted, so i literally made 2 buttons each for ellen and evon and kept the remaining tokens. Now i get a nice reward, politics at it’s best :p

in Living World

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

It’s perfectly fair. People that voted got their candidate’s win as a reward.

Everyone else can sell their stuff for some pocket change.