Posted by: Kevin Ardinez.8906

Kevin Ardinez.8906

no Burial for Trahearne?

Pamation nato ron ang sugilanon sa usa ka kapuluanon

How about Trahearne's memorial?

in Living World

Posted by: KronosBaelfire.6289

KronosBaelfire.6289

You know I was just thinking about that, why doesn’t Trahearne get a memorial service too?

https://twitter.com/KronosBaelfire
http://gw2style.com/profile.php?id=9298
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” – Sun Tzu, The Art of War

in Living World

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Because he was a terribly written character.

in Living World

Posted by: Budman.2934

Budman.2934

I don’t bury my salads I throw them away

in Living World

Posted by: AWACS.6537

AWACS.6537

no Burial for Trahearne?

That’s very funny.

No.

in Living World

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

We already buried him in our guild hall.

Attachments:

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

in Living World

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

We mourn the loss of a great friend, and the mother of one of our guildmates who understandably doesnt show up to her funeral but eventually will (hopefully). But our friend and superior in pact ranking and cleanser of a dangerous location who touched the hearts of many and is widely recognized? nah

in Living World

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Yeah I agree it is a shame to see nothing for Trahearne.

Despite not liking the voice acting I did like his character and it’s a bit unkind to ignore him while focusing so heavily on Eir.

But then you could find similar situations in the old personal story – ie fawning over Apatia’s death (who you barely knew) while totally ignoring the deaths of Sieran/Tybalt/Forgal.

in Living World

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

http://dulfy.net/2016/07/26/gw2-out-of-the-shadows-developer-ama-on-reddit/#Living_World

Number 7 addresses this. Lore-wise, it’s possible Sylvari don’t have an developed funeral/memorial culture. Practically speaking, it didn’t make sense to have two memorial sequences slowing down the start of LS3.

I like Trahearne as much as anyone, but Eir’s memorial was enough reflection to kick off the new season.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

in Living World

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

Trahearne’s memorial would not end well.

in Living World

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

http://dulfy.net/2016/07/26/gw2-out-of-the-shadows-developer-ama-on-reddit/#Living_World

Number 7 addresses this. Lore-wise, it’s possible Sylvari don’t have an developed funeral/memorial culture.

Lol that was still such a bad excuse with the no death rituals. We have had examples of them with sylvari. They had death markers in the ps green knight story, trees planted in several outposts for dead sylvari and they are still mourning Riannoc. Not to mention Kileens memorial after she was killed in the brand.

Heck they could have at least planted a tree for him in Fort Trinity/the grove. Or y’know a military memorial since he did lead the pact unless the pact apparently lacks death customs. I can deal with pacing/only needing one funeral but dont pull it off as having no death customs to use.

Frankly I would have loved to see confused Sylvari trying to figure out a funeral for a firstborne if they really want to go that way. Not to mention that it would have a great opportunity to flesh out Sylvari culture in that case. It didn’t even have to be in the episode they could have just added something to the world.
I’m not trying to get on you or anything here but the way Anet did it soured the episode for me. It makes it harder for me to care about the story when they are so quick to throw away a main character just because he wasn’t liked by everyone.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

in Living World

Posted by: jonoth.2308

jonoth.2308

Even if Sylvari didn’t have such a part of their culture, Trahearne’s most notable trait was that he was so well liked by kitten near every race/person in Tyria that wasn’t actively villainous. We’ll probably get something eventually (like whenever we finally go check on the Pale Tree I presume), but it would seem very odd that, for the man that led the largest army in Tyria into battle against the elder dragons and willingly gave his life to make sure Mordremoth stayed down for good, we don’t at least pour a 40 to his memory.

“Good news, everyone!”

in Living World

Posted by: anninke.7469

anninke.7469

Hey, that’s exactly my problem with the new story. All the more as I play a Sylvari toon:

After defeating the dragon I rush of to a “dear friend’s” (really? when the kitten did that happen; seen her like 5 times? and not that she was much help…) funeral, not caring at all about someone I’ve known practically all my life, who helped me many times and who died by my hand (pun, although cynical, intended). Oh, and by the way Eir was probably dearer to me than Mother Tree, seeing how I don’t even find time to go check on her in the Grove.

So basically we just say that yeah, Trahearne sacrificed himself, let’s move on. And then, the longest thing said about the “held in high regard” person who made the Pact start, is “he screwed up, take his place and get buried in a safe office”. Listening to Almorra made me cringe inside.

So, for Mordremoth’s bloody roots, at least give me a gravestone/statue/anything to my home instance!

(Sorry if my rant is a little confused.)

in Living World

Posted by: citypigeon.6358

citypigeon.6358

It’s frankly ridiculous.

We spent all of this time at a memorial for a member of a defunct guild that you only interact with for a few dungeon missions (because sorry, I did not play a norn) but none for the Marhsal of the military organization we created and spearheaded for the singular goal of the game, as well as the companion NPC and pseudo-mentor that accompanied all players, regardless of race, for practically half the game.

In addition to his association w/ the Pact and accomplishing the impossible by cleansing Orr, he’s arguably one of the most important figureheads in the contemporary Tyria narrative for several reasons.

He’s literally the first sylvari to have ever existed (on our side of the continent atleast), the Pale Tree’s favorite, Caithe’s brother, and is well-renowned and well-connected among many different organizations and races (even ones as elusive as the Order of Whispers and the largos) thanks to his 25 years of extensive field work in Orr research… and we don’t hear a peep about his sacrifice?

People like to complain that Trahearne is terribly written character. You’d think Anet would try to own up to it by either improving the depiction of one of the game’s most significant NPCs, or at the very least write a logical conclusion to the shoehorned death they threw on him.

Instead, they are desperately pandering to the incredibly emotional players who were somehow rendered insanely miserable and low in self-esteem by the character’s existence by not only giving him a cliche death, but then writing out any respectful acknowledgement of his tragic end. I’m disappointed in Anet for following “bad writing” with even worse, illogical writing and sad pandering.

IGN: zestalyn
zestalyn.tumblr

(edited by citypigeon.6358)

in Living World

anninke.7469

Number 7 addresses this. Lore-wise, it’s possible Sylvari don’t have an developed funeral/memorial culture. Practically speaking, it didn’t make sense to have two memorial sequences slowing down the start of LS3.

I like Trahearne as much as anyone, but Eir’s memorial was enough reflection to kick off the new season.

I went and read the link… It made me cringe again. Such a big smelly heap of bullkitten that is!
I still can’t understand, when the heck did some mostly urelated Norn lady become the PC’s close friend regardless of the fact that non-Norn PC doesn’t even meet her much. If I didn’t read wiki and lore forum threads, I’d barely notice her. How is she so much more important for all the Sylvari toons than Trahearne?
“The world mourns Trahearne (yeah, in backstage, right?), so you don’t need to do that, deal with it…” Really?
Oh c’mon Anet, do you realise you make no kittening sense at kittening all?
At this very moment I deeply hate whoever came with this moronic idea and even more moronic “explanation”.
Although I like the rest of the update quite a lot, this ruins it for me big time.

in Living World

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Guys, may I ask for a little willing suspension of disbelieve?
We (I among others) asked for three years for a story continuation that would allow us to fell the Blathering Fir of Greater Annoyance. Now that Anet made us that unexpected gift you complain about a missing burial? Seriously. -.-

Oh, and about the lacking sylvari funeral rites, I’d suggest conjointly chanting Timber! with a subsequent… bonfire.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

in Living World

anninke.7469

You certainly may, but (yes, I did my homework and looked at the linked article) the problem is in “the sake of enjoyment”. If I don’t enjoy what I’m being given, why should I make any sacrificing for its sake?

in Living World

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

We (I among others) asked for three years for a story continuation that would allow us to fell the Blathering Fir of Greater Annoyance. Now that Anet made us that unexpected gift you complain about a missing burial? Seriously. -.-

Oh, and about the lacking sylvari funeral rites, I’d suggest conjointly chanting Timber! with a subsequent… bonfire.

I like to imagine that they at Anet are very proud of themselves.

let the sky fall

in Living World

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

no Burial for Trahearne?

Because dancing around a compost heap is already a reserved feature of “Farm Manager 2017 – Hippie Edition” and Arena.Net will want to avoid any lawsuits, which I fully understand.

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

in Living World

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I saw what you did there.

But there was nothing left of him. Also his was when Mordi went boom. Don’t need another send off, and hole we are at it, we never had one for our mentors.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Living World

anninke.7469

I saw what you did there.

But there was nothing left of him. Also his was when Mordi went boom. Don’t need another send off, and hole we are at it, we never had one for our mentors.

But at least you went to tell your order’s leader who then had enough decency to show concern for the dead person. And the next mission is all like “let’s take Claw Island back so that his/her sacrifice was not in vain”, which I dare say is a send off, and a pretty nice one considering there’s not really much time because of the threat you need to take care of.

in Living World

Posted by: aikatara.3462

aikatara.3462

Hey, that’s exactly my problem with the new story. All the more as I play a Sylvari toon:

After defeating the dragon I rush of to a “dear friend’s” (really? when the kitten did that happen; seen her like 5 times? and not that she was much help…) funeral, not caring at all about someone I’ve known practically all my life, who helped me many times and who died by my hand (pun, although cynical, intended). Oh, and by the way Eir was probably dearer to me than Mother Tree, seeing how I don’t even find time to go check on her in the Grove.

So basically we just say that yeah, Trahearne sacrificed himself, let’s move on. And then, the longest thing said about the “held in high regard” person who made the Pact start, is “he screwed up, take his place and get buried in a safe office”. Listening to Almorra made me cringe inside.

So, for Mordremoth’s bloody roots, at least give me a gravestone/statue/anything to my home instance!

(Sorry if my rant is a little confused.)

I play a Sylvari main character as well and I wholeheartedly agree to the above said. Furthermore I really liked Trahearne, Trahearne-jokes and all incluced. His death affected me a lot more than Eir’s (I barely knew her). Please Anet have his sacrifice honored somehow in the upcoming LS3 chapters…

(edited by aikatara.3462)

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

It’s frankly ridiculous.

We spent all of this time at a memorial for a member of a defunct guild that you only interact with for a few dungeon missions (because sorry, I did not play a norn) but none for the Marhsal of the military organization we created and spearheaded for the singular goal of the game, as well as the companion NPC and pseudo-mentor that accompanied all players, regardless of race, for practically half the game.

In addition to his association w/ the Pact and accomplishing the impossible by cleansing Orr, he’s arguably one of the most important figureheads in the contemporary Tyria narrative for several reasons.

He’s literally the first sylvari to have ever existed (on our side of the continent atleast), the Pale Tree’s favorite, Caithe’s brother, and is well-renowned and well-connected among many different organizations and races (even ones as elusive as the Order of Whispers and the largos) thanks to his 25 years of extensive field work in Orr research… and we don’t hear a peep about his sacrifice?

People like to complain that Trahearne is terribly written character. You’d think Anet would try to own up to it by either improving the depiction of one of the game’s most significant NPCs, or at the very least write a logical conclusion to the shoehorned death they threw on him.

Instead, they are desperately pandering to the incredibly emotional players who were somehow rendered insanely miserable and low in self-esteem by the character’s existence by not only giving him a cliche death, but then writing out any respectful acknowledgement of his tragic end. I’m disappointed in Anet for following “bad writing” with even worse, illogical writing and sad pandering.

I’m hoping they put a memorial for him and all Pact soldiers lost in the dragon war on Claw Island, and then make it an instance we can visit.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in Living World

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

They supposedly live on in The Dream. So, would it really be needed for Slyvari?

in Living World

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

I’ve heard rumors that ANet pays homage to him with a weekly salad bar for the office.

in Living World

anninke.7469

>Zeivu: But they still do mourn their deceased. The Pale Tree herself mourns Riannoc in Sylvari personal story. And there’s that one Sylvari lady and her killed lover’s grave she wants to protect at any cost.
And anyway, that cited link still kittens me off like a giant basket full of fluffy kittens, because it just shows how the story (as much as i generally like it) sucks in some aspects and they know it and don’t care and only come up with lame excuses. I mean, if they wanted Eir to be so important for the PC regardless of said PC’s origin, they should have made her that by her deeds, not by just retrospectively saying “oh, but she IS your dear friend, didn’t you know?”

>Oldirtbeard: Had they invidted me and others from this thread, all could have been alright (maybe). But they didn’t so here comes the storm.

in Living World

Posted by: Gomoratoad.9867

Gomoratoad.9867

tbh I wasn’t expecting anything elaborate since the character was neglected after the Zhaitan story, but I didn’t think there would be literally nothing besides a few lines of dialogue, one of which was an insult. “Getting himself killed,” really? Couldn’t Almorra say something less inflammatory, like “We were sorry to lose Marshal Trahearne and don’t want that to happen again?”

The AMA responses don’t make sense given what we see in the game, like the PC being closer to Eir – sure you spend time with her son, but unless you’re a norn, you barely see her. Everyone befriends Trahearne, builds the Pact and weakens Zhaitan with him, helps him finish the thing he’s been struggling with his entire life, but I guess none of that is important. Pacing is used as an excuse again. Pacing is supposedly why sylvari lore was cut from the sylvari dragon story, now it’s why we can’t have two memorials. If pacing doesn’t allow proper closure for the death of an important character, maybe don’t kill off the character? And of course some of the dev responses were jokes about salad bars and hedges – thanks, that’s exactly what the fanbase needed while trying to find out why this character we like is treated like garbage.

It’s possible that something else will be done in time, but the reddit thread made it sound like this is it. And really, it’s ridiculous to be in this situation, hoping that maybe after a year we will get actual closure for the shoehorned death of a major character.

in Living World

RyuDragnier.9476

tbh I wasn’t expecting anything elaborate since the character was neglected after the Zhaitan story, but I didn’t think there would be literally nothing besides a few lines of dialogue, one of which was an insult. “Getting himself killed,” really? Couldn’t Almorra say something less inflammatory, like “We were sorry to lose Marshal Trahearne and don’t want that to happen again?”

Almorra’s a Charr, higher-ups in their society tend to do paperwork for a reason, losing them throws the chain of command in chaos. Which is pretty much a reason why Rytlock hasn’t been in the Citadel in a while, hard going to that after the adrenaline rush of fighting legions of dragon minions.

[hS]

in Living World

Posted by: citypigeon.6358

citypigeon.6358

You accomplish suspension of disbelief through strong, intelligent, and tasteful execution.

When I watch a movie that really sucked due to illogical and sloppy storytelling, I’m not going to tell myself that I didn’t suspend my disbelief enough. That’s called having abysmally low standards.

Maybe what you should be asking is for us to not have any standards whatsoever since this is a video game. But for a game that is essentially a rpg and has a certain reputation developed overtime by Anet, we will certainly have expectations for atleast the bare minimum, which in this case, is a Living Story chapter that made sense.

IGN: zestalyn
zestalyn.tumblr

in Living World

Posted by: Roguedemonhunter.9621

Roguedemonhunter.9621

They definitely need to have us go back to the Grove for an instanced memorial service/The Dream adventure with Caithe or another First one and recovering Pale Tree Avatar.

However I believe all the voice work is probably already “in the can”…. So I hope they had the presence of mind to do so before we pointed this out to them.

Peace out.

in Living World

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Didn’t Trahearne plan and lead the most disastrous military fiasco in Tyrian history?

He came close to ensuring the extinction of the allied races, all non-dragon spawned sentience for that matter, with his error(s).

The sort of monument he actually earned is probably not what the OP desires.

in Living World

RyuDragnier.9476

Didn’t Trahearne plan and lead the most disastrous military fiasco in Tyrian history?

He came close to ensuring the extinction of the allied races, all non-dragon spawned sentience for that matter, with his error(s).

Did anybody really expect for vines to be able to hit THAT HIGH in the air? For all anybody knew he was relegated to ground combat, so air naturally people would assume would be the safest spot. Boy were we wrong, and until Caithe told us, nobody knew Sylvari could be turned by him either. If we knew both of those, odds are the fight would have gone a lot different.

[hS]

in Living World

anninke.7469

Did anybody really expect for vines to be able to hit THAT HIGH in the air? For all anybody knew he was relegated to ground combat, so air naturally people would assume would be the safest spot. Boy were we wrong, and until Caithe told us, nobody knew Sylvari could be turned by him either. If we knew both of those, odds are the fight would have gone a lot different.

^That.
And I don’t like how you make it sound as if Trahearne did it on purpose. Oh c’mon… And, just so you know, Eir kittend up too.
(Ooops, am I becoming T’s white knight or someting? Will this end well?)

I start thinking that voiceovers, while nice, are not really a good thing, because they limit dialog too much. I’d much rather have just dialog text in which we’d have far more variability of lines and (our and) the PC’s past choices would actually matter for a change… I hate it when my toon is just a generic pink-pyjamas-nazgul for everyone in the game.

in Living World

Ashen.2907

Did anybody really expect for vines to be able to hit THAT HIGH in the air?

I understand. How in Tyria could anyone have expected a dragon to bee a threat to an air fleet? If only there had been some sort of precedent, some experience, to give even a hint that airships might be at risk facing a dragon. If only…

And I don’t like how you make it sound as if Trahearne did it on purpose.

I didn’t. As Hanlon and Heinlein said…“Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice,” and/or “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by carelessness.”

You are, of course, welcome to invent your own interpretation of what I wrote.

And, just so you know, Eir kittend up too.

Eir was not in command. Not even an officer as near as I can tell. There is a difference between the responsibilities of a soldier and those of the overall commander of an expeditionary force.

I start thinking that voiceovers, while nice, are not really a good thing, because they limit dialog too much. I’d much rather have just dialog text in which we’d have far more variability of lines.

I agree completely.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

in Living World

anninke.7469

Eir was not in command. Not even an officer as near as I can tell. There is a difference between the responsibilities of a soldier and those of the overall commander of an expeditionary force.

Sorry, I should have made myself clear on this one – I meant in the past, not HoT story, that just turned to mulch for everynone.
The Kralky thing where she was in command didn’t go exactly well, although the consequences were far less tragic (except for the DE). And (only my personal feeling on this though) playing mostly non-Norn characters, I meet her pretty rarlely: in AC where she didn’t do very good and in Honor of the Waves she just goes all emo and you have to save her kitten once again. Can’t really remember Sorrow’s Embrace, tbh. And then there’s the thing with her and Braham…
So basically there lies my problem with her being shoved in my face as my PC’s friend and a totally awesome hero everyone must like.

And yes, I realize you didn’t mean to say Trahearne did it on purpose, it was me getting carried away. Sorry for that.

in Living World

Ashen.2907

Sorry, I should have made myself clear on this one – I meant in the past, not HoT story, that just turned to mulch for everynone.
The Kralky thing where she was in command didn’t go exactly well, although the consequences were far less tragic (except for the DE). And (only my personal feeling on this though) playing mostly non-Norn characters, I meet her pretty rarlely: in AC where she didn’t do very good and in Honor of the Waves she just goes all emo and you have to save her kitten once again. Can’t really remember Sorrow’s Embrace, tbh. And then there’s the thing with her and Braham…
So basically there lies my problem with her being shoved in my face as my PC’s friend and a totally awesome hero everyone must like.

And yes, I realize you didn’t mean to say Trahearne did it on purpose, it was me getting carried away. Sorry for that.

I tend to prefer the idea of the game setting NPC’s up, as necessary, as potentially important allies….but letting the player decide who his/her friends are. This would dovetail nicely with your point about multiple text options instead of voice overs. With text you or I could establish that we consider someone like Eir to be a friend, or just an associate working toward similar goals, and have future interactions be plotted accordingly.

One of the biggest immersion breakers, for me, is being required to name as friends characters I consider to be detestable. I live in the real world and fully understand that sometimes you have to work effectively with individuals you do not like. For whom you have an active antipathy even. The cause, the job, the mission is important. But I don’t claim that they are my friends.

in Living World

Posted by: Lupini.6938

Lupini.6938

I think we should have a memorial instance for him, in The Grove. The actual memorial could be short, and then as an “wake” we go and threaten the Pale Tree with a bottle of Roundup for not telling us about the whole “created from Mordremoth” thing from the beginning, since she knew about it.

in Living World

anninke.7469

I think we should have a memorial instance for him, in The Grove. The actual memorial could be short, and then as an “wake” we go and threaten the Pale Tree with a bottle of Roundup for not telling us about the whole “created from Mordremoth” thing from the beginning, since she knew about it.

Both would be nice, although the latter might require a VERY careful approach and a lot of protective measures (yay for Sylvari toons).
“Hello, Mother Tree. I’ve come to discuss this little secret of yours… (trips) Ouch! I’m wilti…"

in Living World

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

Well, that’s nice for those in a guild with a guild hall. What about for those who are not in a guild? Never mind. I saw the screenshot. I don’t need to join a guild.

in Living World

anninke.7469

Well, that’s nice for those in a guild with a guild hall. What about for those who are not in a guild? Never mind. I saw the screenshot. I don’t need to join a guild.

We could do a big spoilfest riot in LA.

in Living World

Posted by: JaddynnStarr.5201

JaddynnStarr.5201

here is my reasoning… we lost tybalt, Eir, Trehearne, our respective faction commanders, and countless others during LA’s destruction etc… While we all have attachments to our favorites, they couldnt possibly do a cutscene for every single person you are personally attached to. They chose Eir cuz braham is still a part of the story and intrigal to the next part of it. the rest got honorable mention at their respective deaths.

in Living World

RyuDragnier.9476

here is my reasoning… we lost tybalt, Eir, Trehearne, our respective faction commanders, and countless others during LA’s destruction etc… While we all have attachments to our favorites, they couldnt possibly do a cutscene for every single person you are personally attached to. They chose Eir cuz braham is still a part of the story and intrigal to the next part of it. the rest got honorable mention at their respective deaths.

This is why I want a monument on Claw Island, one we can actually visit in an instance, that pays memorial to all those who have fallen so far in the Dragon War. A list of names of those fallen during the march and battles of Orr and the battles of Maguuma. Or at least the big names.

[hS]

in Living World

JaddynnStarr.5201

This is why I want a monument on Claw Island, one we can actually visit in an instance, that pays memorial to all those who have fallen so far in the Dragon War. A list of names of those fallen during the march and battles of Orr and the battles of Maguuma. Or at least the big names.

I can see a singular monument for all involved, but i don’t think it would be prudent to make one for each major member that died. it would take too much time and disrupt story flow I think. Immersion would be lost . Another reason I think Eir was selected for the cut scene was because it was fresh in our minds. At least for me that is how it felt. I know its slightly off topic, and maybe what some of you may not want to hear, but he was vastly unpopular with the community, and I think Anet sensed that and moved focus towards Eir. There wasn’t hardly any chatter about Eir being disliked.

in Living World

anninke.7469

I know its slightly off topic, and maybe what some of you may not want to hear, but he was vastly unpopular with the community, and I think Anet sensed that and moved focus towards Eir. There wasn’t hardly any chatter about Eir being disliked.

I believe that is because she was hardly kittening involved unless you played Norn. From what I read here and there, I understood some players were angry that Trahearne stole their glory or something. Well, Eir did nothing like that for sure; you see her like 5 times in the whole PS (unless you play Norn).

And I’m still not able to get over my character (a Sylvari, had Trahearne around and helping ever since awakening) having to see Eir as such a close friend just because she was unimportant enough to not get disliked by players (or because the devs like her better or whatever really). That first part of s3e1 just mages me gag. Either I play a character who’s a complete moron or he is a liar for telling those friend-lines only to be able to start a lame named guild with Rytlock. Both suck, however I’ll probably have to go with the latter if I want to cotinue playing. I don’t like playing moronic kittenheads.

A simple in-game dialog line about how for some reason (be it the whole turned Sylvari mess or the PC feeling too bad for killing him) we could not go to Trahearne’s funeral or even have a short visit in the Grove to tell the Pale Tree what happened and see how she does would be fine. Definitely, especially if instead of that we got only a reddit post saying “oh, but you didn’t really care for him much bla, bla… pacing, bla… get over it, we don’t care”.

edit:
One of the reasons why I simply can’t see Eir as more important than Trahearne to my PC. For kitten’s sake he barely knows her!

Attachments:

(edited by anninke.7469)

in Living World

JaddynnStarr.5201

I know its slightly off topic, and maybe what some of you may not want to hear, but he was vastly unpopular with the community, and I think Anet sensed that and moved focus towards Eir. There wasn’t hardly any chatter about Eir being disliked.

I believe that is because she was hardly kittening involved unless you played Norn. From what I read here and there, I understood some players were angry that Trahearne stole their glory or something. Well, Eir did nothing like that for sure; you see her like 5 times in the whole PS (unless you play Norn).

And I’m still not able to get over my character (a Sylvari, had Trahearne around and helping ever since awakening) having to see Eir as such a close friend just because she was unimportant enough to not get disliked by players (or because the devs like her better or whatever really). That first part of s3e1 just mages me gag. Either I play a character who’s a complete moron or he is a liar for telling those friend-lines only to be able to start a lame named guild with Rytlock. Both suck, however I’ll probably have to go with the latter if I want to cotinue playing. I don’t like playing moronic kittenheads.

A simple in-game dialog line about how for some reason (be it the whole turned Sylvari mess or the PC feeling too bad for killing him) we could not go to Trahearne’s funeral or even have a short visit in the Grove to tell the Pale Tree what happened and see how she does would be fine. Definitely, especially if instead of that we got only a reddit post saying “oh, but you didn’t really care for him much bla, bla… pacing, bla… get over it, we don’t care”.

edit:
One of the reasons why I simply can’t see Eir as more important than Trahearne to my PC. For kitten’s sake he barely knows her!

see, this is where the tables have turned. You dont like being forced to lose your races mentor, and have another thrust into the spotlight over top of yours. That is exactly how the rest of the community felt when trehearne was forced onto us… I understand you loved trehearne above the rest, but you are still vastly underestimating the connection the rest of the community may have had with Eir. Not to mention her son braham whom we have been adventuring with almost this entire time. As i have said before (maybe in another thread), have a monument for them all, but we dont need an individual monument for every single character we have lost, it is immersion breaking and slows down the story too much.

edit: at least Eir didnt take over the entire story… as your attachment has proven trehearne did.

(edited by JaddynnStarr.5201)

in Living World

anninke.7469

/snip

As i have said before (maybe in another thread), have a monument for them all, but we dont need an individual monument for every single character we have lost, it is immersion breaking and slows down the story too much.

edit: at least Eir didnt take over the entire story… as your attachment has proven trehearne did.

That’s why I said “a simple dialog line…”.
Just giving some in-story reason instead of the reddit post might have been okay.

Hm, maybe he did take over. I kinda didn’t notice (or mind) though, because I went with Vigil on my first/main charachter and I disliked Forgal quite a lot. The guy seriously creeps me out even now.

(And hey, thanks for actually talking about this with me )

in Living World

JaddynnStarr.5201

/snip

As i have said before (maybe in another thread), have a monument for them all, but we dont need an individual monument for every single character we have lost, it is immersion breaking and slows down the story too much.

Just giving some in-story reason instead of the reddit post might have been okay.

Hm, maybe he did take over. I kinda didn’t notice (or mind) though, because I went with Vigil on my first/main charachter and I disliked Forgal quite a lot. The guy seriously creeps me out even now.

(no problem, its nice to have a discussion instead of a flame fest! )

No I must have missed that in your post, my apologies, as that would be just fine too. My focus was on the thread title, and all the eir hating that i was seeing. I don’t particularly like Eir that much, or braham if truth be told, but trehearne was a different matter entirely for me personally. he felt very intrusive and forced onto me, and then to have him be a leader in name only (as he couldn’t make a decision to save his own life) made me feel he was a coward that i had to tolerate as a commander above me. I agree with you on Forgul, he felt very empty as a character and felt more like a placeholder.

in Living World

anninke.7469

/snip

(no problem, its nice to have a discussion instead of a flame fest! )

No I must have missed that in your post, my apologies, as that would be just fine too. My focus was on the thread title, and all the eir hating that i was seeing. I don’t particularly like Eir that much, or braham if truth be told, but trehearne was a different matter entirely for me personally. he felt very intrusive and forced onto me, and then to have him be a leader in name only (as he couldn’t make a decision to save his own life) made me feel he was a coward that i had to tolerate as a commander above me. I agree with you on Forgul, he felt very empty as a character and felt more like a placeholder.

“Couldn’t make a decision”? Oh, c’mon, now I’m getting flamy!
While the PC goes kill this, bring that, do you think the fort just grew by itself, all the machinery, troops and provisions needed no organization? That the plans you got to choose from just popped into existence on their own? That anyone just somehow knew what to do and when with no one coordinating them?
Mordy’s blight! Trahearne is effectively the PC’s undervalued office assistant.
(Am I perhaps biased because of working as an office lady? )

in Living World

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

I went and read the link… It made me cringe again. Such a big smelly heap of bullkitten that is!
I still can’t understand, when the heck did some mostly urelated Norn lady become the PC’s close friend regardless of the fact that non-Norn PC doesn’t even meet her much. If I didn’t read wiki and lore forum threads, I’d barely notice her. How is she so much more important for all the Sylvari toons than Trahearne?
“The world mourns Trahearne (yeah, in backstage, right?), so you don’t need to do that, deal with it…” Really?
Oh c’mon Anet, do you realise you make no kittening sense at kittening all?
At this very moment I deeply hate whoever came with this moronic idea and even more moronic “explanation”.
Although I like the rest of the update quite a lot, this ruins it for me big time.

gw2 is 4 years old. Its assumed in the story that you actually did the content by now. A large part of which is all the dungeon paths. In which case you see the other races hero’s quite a bit. You also team up with the entire destiny’s edge to kill zhaiten.

But yes I still think he should have a funeral. The culture is young is a horrible excuse. The reality is they didn’t want to waste resources on that atm. which is fine as long as we get one later. Even our beloved gw1 gwenn just got a simple grave, which is better than nothing.

treehearne has grown a lot on me over time. At first I had the typical who is this guy and why is he the leader instead of me reaction (why most people don’t like him) But its a good story and after replaying several times he grew on me a lot. You have the simple task of killing an elder dragon (well not simple but like caithe stated at least its a tangible foe) he has to heal a land devoured by an undead plague and doesn’t even know IF it can be healed or not. Also if you play as a sylvarri you actually meet treehearne a lot earlier in the game and do several missions together, so you actually grow as friends way before the pact stuff.

(edited by Chrono.6928)

in Living World

anninke.7469

snippity snip

gw2 is 4 years old. Its assumed in the story that you actually did the content by now. A large part of which is all the dungeon paths. In which case you see the other races hero’s quite a bit. You also team up with the entire destiny’s edge to kill zhaiten.

snip some more

I’ve been playing for over a year and I’ve done the story dungs several times. Still I don’t see how Eir is so crucial, important or even helpful at all (I mentioned it in at least one of my posts. However I’ve no right to require that anyone goes through my rants, they get tiring after a while I guess). And that is the problematic part. If a NPC is meant to be important to me (as in me = PC), we should have some decent interaction. I should meet the NPC, talk to them enough and should feel that they are there by my side when needed. None of that did Eir manage in the PS and story dungeons. Was she even there when I was working my kitten of, defending the airship against Risen in Arah story? Oh, wait, she was. I got a glimpse of her hiding inside the ship. Very useful and friend-like. Yup. I don’t say I hate her or anything, just that the story/narrative guys totally failed in this case and it makes the whole Eir’s burial visit terribly out of place regardless of my (very kittening hurt, tbh) feelings for Trahearne.