How does my character know Mordremoth?

in Living World

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

In the first Entangled instance, my character tells the NPCs that he thinks this is the work of Mordremoth.

Where did I get this information? Is this a result of my having played through the Crucible of Eternity, somehow gleaning the name of the Elder Dragon through Subject Alpha’s use of the Teeth of Mordremoth skill? I know the dwarven texts mentioned approximately six dragons, but has my character discovered some ancient text that revealed this particular dragon’s name?

It’s just a little jarring, I guess. I don’t recall the name ever being mentioned in-game. Like, at all. Ever. But my character just throws it out there like it’s common knowledge.
“Where did Uni go? Oh, no, Venger took him!”
“Global warming again? Thanks, Obama.”
“Village destroyed by evil, sentient vines? Must be Mordremoth up to his old tricks again.”

TL;DR: I don’t understand how my character knows Mordremoth’s name, given that I only know it because I’ve seen it tossed about on these forums and on Reddit.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

in Living World

Posted by: SnubdubLuskon.1795

SnubdubLuskon.1795

“Mordremoth is the Elder Jungle Dragon and the most recent dragon to awaken. Mordremoth’s existence did not become apparent to most Tyrians until early 1327 AE, when it awoke. It was, however, mentioned in ancient dwarven texts and jotun stalea, although no details other than the existence of a sixth Elder Dragon were ever made clear. Additionally, the Inquest had been conducting experiments structured around the presumption of six Elder Dragons for a while, indicating they had some prior knowledge of it.”

From the wiki. Mordremoth was known with a legend status. Never seen, just whispers of name and that it was possible that he existed. Edit: Also, considering they have information on the rest, the last dragon only seems to be fitting to own the one name that hasn’t been used yet.

(edited by SnubdubLuskon.1795)

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I assumed mine heard of it because of his connections to some people who have secrets to keep. Now, where did I leave those apples?

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Yeah…they should’ve at least rectified this by having some information on it somewhere in the Crucible of Eternity (besides the boss’s attacks), or even something in Arah mentioning it.

But alas, we all considered Mordremoth to be the jungle dragon, so they may have just decided to go with it.

Does make me wonder why the NPCs didn’t at least ask “Where’d you hear/read that name from?” when our character mentions it. (I think our character says its name first?)

in Living World

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

ditto, I felt the same thing when its name bursted out of nowhere lol

in Living World

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I’d assume that EDs are almost common knowledge, considering that LA was attacked by Zhaitan, nothern Ascalon was crystallized by Kralkatorrik, Northern Shiverpeaks corrupted by Jormag and the frequent sightings of Destroyers everywhere.
Zhaitan’s fall was also a large event that was celebrated almost in every map (Dragon Bash).
And finally, our characters are commanders of the Pact lore-wise, so it is safe to assume that they’re more knowledgeable than the average Joe.

in Living World

Posted by: Arcadian Knight.1079

Arcadian Knight.1079

I’d assume that EDs are almost common knowledge, considering that LA was attacked by Zhaitan, nothern Ascalon was crystallized by Kralkatorrik, Northern Shiverpeaks corrupted by Jormag and the frequent sightings of Destroyers everywhere.
Zhaitan’s fall was also a large event that was celebrated almost in every map (Dragon Bash).
And finally, our characters are commanders of the Pact lore-wise, so it is safe to assume that they’re more knowledgeable than the average Joe.

But as far as I remember, Mordremoth was an unknown dragon. We knew of the Deep Sea Dragon because of Krait, Quaggan and Largos arriving and telling us of this. Mord was never known about so it is curious why we spouted it’s name.

If we did know it then I most likely have missed it in that period of LS:Season 1 that I didn’t play. Or it just may have slipped the minds of the dev’s, they do have alot to think about when making this stuff so I don’t mind to much. Is just a point of curiosity for me right now.

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

Thing is, most other NPCs we ran into already knew of those dragons’ existence. Mordremoth’s name up until this point was only in the skill name of one boss (Subject Alpha) in one particular dungeon(Crucible of Eternity), with no other references to the creature itself (And you’d never know unless you had the combat info tab active as well). All that could be inferred then was that Mordremoth had some connection to the earth, due to the Teeth of Mordremoth skill utilizing earth spikes. Our character is the first one to say Mordremoth’s name out to anyone else, with none of them questioning where we got it from.

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

We have spent a lot of time reading Scarlet’s 28475 different journals in story instances of season 1 and 2. You’d think that the name was mentioned somewhere.

But alternatively, I’m also pretty okay with it being common knowledge.

And what’s more, it’s just a name. It’s just what people call the plant dragon. Like… “The Sunless”. Or “Tequatl”. I doubt that any of them named themselves. It’s just some convention that makes communicating easier.

in Living World

Posted by: Spiral.3724

Spiral.3724

It’s just a little jarring, I guess. I don’t recall the name ever being mentioned in-game. Like, at all. Ever. But my character just throws it out there like it’s common knowledge.

I felt the same way. I was like, “Did I miss something? Was there supposed to be a cut scene? Was there an some object I didn’t interact with?”

I did seem rather jarring. All of a sudden, “Oh yeah, it’s the work of Mordremoth.” It was just tossed out there. It gave me wrinkles in my forehead!

Spiral Madheart – Level 80 Mesmer
The Wrong Crowd [bAd] Yak’s Bend

in Living World

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

We have spent a lot of time reading Scarlet’s 28475 different journals in story instances of season 1 and 2. You’d think that the name was mentioned somewhere.

And what’s more, it’s just a name. It’s just what people call the plant dragon. Like… “The Sunless”. Or “Tequatl”. I doubt that any of them named themselves. It’s just some convention that makes communicating easier.

well it can’t be common knowledge, because prior to this very moment, most of tyria thought there were only three dragons left. the order of whispers and the priory thought it stopped at 5 dragons. then mordy shows up out of nowhere, not mentioned on any of the ancient dwarven and jotun scriptures (where the names of the other dragons and knowledge of the deep sea dragon comes from). and somehow the player character not only has a name for it, but the rest of your party reacts as if they knew what that name meant.

and it doesn’t mean anything. unlike your example (tequatl the sunless), tequatl is a hylek name, “sunless” is what they call the risen. they worship the sun, so they’re basically calling the risen demons. speaking of risen, they call zhaitan by name.

mordremoth’s name comes out of freaking nowhere, and all previously estabilished (in-game!) lore points towards no one knowing he existed, much less his name. its name reveal was very sloppy, and while it’s a minor flub in the grand scheme of things, i’d rather the devs be more careful to avoid such glaring things next time. the player isn’t the player character. the player character doesn’t read lore forums.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Living World

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I facepalmed so hard that my hand came out at the back of my head.

This is Roleplaying 1-o-1. You dont know someone’s name unless they are introduced by some source.

It should have gone like this:
“This is the work of Mordremoth!”
“Mordre-what now?”
“M-Mordremoth… The next Elder Dragon?”
“How do you know this?”
“Its..its the vines. They are all over the place.”
“Yeeeesss, i can see that. How do you know it is the direct work of an Elder Dragon?”
“’Cuz Mordremoth is the planty Elder Dragon! It makes perfect sense, dont you see? We heard him roar!”
“We heard something. Thats it. We agreed that it is possibly an Elder Dragon. Now you come and tell me that its name is Mordremoth, and its the ‘planty’ dragon, obviously. I ask again, how do you know this?”
“Well… i… you see, in the Infinity Coil, there was this green area…”
“Uh-huh… go on.”
“Oh! And Subject Alpha was like ‘Roar-roar’ and ‘Blergh-Grawlllrrr’, but he was also like ‘Subject Alpha deals 1560 damage to you by using Teeth of Mordremoth!’ And it was all … earthy… and planty.”
“…Hon, did you hit on the blood whisky again?”

in Living World

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

I noticed this too. It’s kind of odd that no one there caught that, since it seems quite a few players have noticed it.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

ditto, I felt the same thing when its name bursted out of nowhere lol

Same here, my character had never even heard mention of the name in game. It felt very strange having him exclaim that it is Mordremoth.

I think the writing team dropped the ball here.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I felt the same way at first. But then, Magister Lindsay reminded me by saying, “I probably shouldn’t even be telling you about it, but…. you’re you.” That’s right, I’m me and people tell me everything.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I can see where everyone is coming from in terms of explaining why the player character might have known the name of this particular elder dragon.

However, while in the story (and each time that I’ve repeated it since), I find myself taken out of the story and wondering how the group jumped from wondering why Scarlet behaved as she did and what she unleashed with her drill to suddenly identifying the force behind her as Mordremoth.

In other words: great, there’s some possible explanation, but it still pulled me right out of the story.

And it’s too bad, because it was the single sour note in an otherwise wonderful symphony.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

I can see where everyone is coming from in terms of explaining why the player character might have known the name of this particular elder dragon.

However, while in the story (and each time that I’ve repeated it since), I find myself taken out of the story and wondering how the group jumped from wondering why Scarlet behaved as she did and what she unleashed with her drill to suddenly identifying the force behind her as Mordremoth.

In other words: great, there’s some possible explanation, but it still pulled me right out of the story.

And it’s too bad, because it was the single sour note in an otherwise wonderful symphony.

Agree, so I hope bobby or angel can offer their rationale they had while in the room. There’s no way they didn’t have a solid answer in mind.

(edited by wwwes.1398)

in Living World

Posted by: mcgriddles.2416

mcgriddles.2416

I’m so happy someone brought this up because I thought I was going crazy.

Zhaitan’s name is mentioned multiple times throughout not only the personal story, but I believe in casual NPC dialogue as well. I can also definitely recall Primordus being brought up by name as well.

Up until now, Mordremoth has never been referred to by name. I would’ve been totally fine if its name was found in a textbook in Scarlet’s basement or something, but being mentioned right off the bat by our player character kinda surprised me a little.

Incursiön [iN]

in Living World

Posted by: unverified.9608

unverified.9608

Didn’t you know? “Mordremoth” is just Krytan for “Jungle Dragon.”

;p

in Living World

Posted by: Rsouls.8931

Rsouls.8931

also the fact that almost everything that comes out of our character’s mouth seems to be the absolute truth that can not be denied

in Living World

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

It seems completely plausible that by this point the PC could have figured this out… we just never got an explanation. So, yeah, confusion.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Living World

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

how can you still be confused about horrible writing after season one?

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

in Living World

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

Well, a player saw the vines, had to name a Dragon so he/she thought “You look like a Mordremoth to me”. Because of reasons.

But yeah, what did you expect, an actual story progression? “Let’s go on an adventure, find out what’s with the roar and the vines!” 2 hours and some random plant monsters later – “This has to be a new dragon awakening, and his name is Mordremoth!”. Makes perfect sense to me.

in Living World

Posted by: Pupulon.4019

Pupulon.4019

I admit it took me by surprise too. I assume our characters read it in Scarlet’s room many books and journal but it should have been a bigger part of discussion.

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

How can you still be confused about horrible writing after season one?

…..Touche. -_- ^

in Living World

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

Just the fact that we have to make up our stories to explains omething that should be a major story part is re…gretable.

in Living World

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

You know it the same way that you know the fuzzy bears in Star Wars are called Ewoks. They are never called Ewoks in the movie yet everyone knows that’s what they are called.

in Living World

Posted by: spikyblackhair.4951

spikyblackhair.4951

Our characters probably got 99% of their lore knowledge from the wiki, just like us…

in Living World

Posted by: Xukavi.4320

Xukavi.4320

well it can’t be common knowledge, because prior to this very moment, most of tyria thought there were only three dragons left. the order of whispers and the priory thought it stopped at 5 dragons. then mordy shows up out of nowhere, not mentioned on any of the ancient dwarven and jotun scriptures (where the names of the other dragons and knowledge of the deep sea dragon comes from). and somehow the player character not only has a name for it, but the rest of your party reacts as if they knew what that name meant.

and it doesn’t mean anything. unlike your example (tequatl the sunless), tequatl is a hylek name, “sunless” is what they call the risen. they worship the sun, so they’re basically calling the risen demons. speaking of risen, they call zhaitan by name.

mordremoth’s name comes out of freaking nowhere, and all previously estabilished (in-game!) lore points towards no one knowing he existed, much less his name. its name reveal was very sloppy, and while it’s a minor flub in the grand scheme of things, i’d rather the devs be more careful to avoid such glaring things next time. the player isn’t the player character. the player character doesn’t read lore forums.

I disagree about the Orders not knowing about 6 Elder Dragons. In the Durmand Priory one specific NPC Scholar Trueclaw notes “Jotun, mursaat, forgotten, seer, dwarf. Five against six. It seems so unfair. And, yet…”. The fact that he’s in the Durmand Priory stating that 5 races against 6 (Dragons) and he’s actually an Order of Whispers agent infiltrating the Durmand Priory shows that to some point they did know of the existence of a 6th Elder Dragon.

I do agree on how the hell did our PC know his name without anything in game pointing towards it. Maybe it was left out intentionally so people could come up with their own ways on how their PC knew the name? Sounds cheeky but possible.

Elyas Wolfbane – Ranger, Xukavi – Thief

in Living World

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

There’s a book in game that details all the elder dragons by name, save the underwater one. i.e. everyone knows about them because they can read about them. Ever heard of history books?

Do your research before spouting off people.

in Living World

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

They probably mixed up the wording instead of calling it dragon before talking to the pail tree. Which is first part of next living world.

in Living World

Posted by: spikyblackhair.4951

spikyblackhair.4951

It’s possible that the character has read about Mordremoth, but the fact remains that it comes out of nowhere, leaving us to grasp at straws for an explanation. You have to think about what Tyria is like; sure there are a good number of books and they aren’t exactly rare, but they aren’t commonplace like the world we live in, either. There aren’t any large publishing houses or even any printing presses that I’ve seen, and I would be surprised if the average non-asuran Tyrian owned even a single book.

It’s easy to see how a player who is asuran and joined the Priory might be knowledgeable about the elder dragons, but the rest? Even if we can assume the player has read up about the dragons due to the Zhaitan incident, when you introduce a new topic into a conversation, it’s usually prefaced by some kind of segue. “I remember reading about Mordremoth” is all it would have taken, really.

So yes, it can be explained by us after the fact, but in terms of storytelling, it just could have been done better. Having one’s character know things that the player doesn’t know (shouldn’t be required to read the wiki) can sometimes feel wrong if it’s not introduced well, and this is one of those times.

(edited by spikyblackhair.4951)

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

There’s a book in game that details all the elder dragons by name, save the underwater one. i.e. everyone knows about them because they can read about them. Ever heard of history books?

Do your research before spouting off people.

Where is this book? Many people’s understand until now is that the only source for the word Modremoth in GW2 was the combat log from Crucible of Eternity. There are many, many, many references to Elder Dragons, Priory discussions, Whispers discussions, books, Arah dungeon quests etc which deal with Elder Dragons and some even suggest six Elder Dragons but never, until now, has the word Mordremoth been spoken in Tyria. The sixth dragon was a theory, even after the rumour of it’s roar when the ley line ruptured. It wasn’t confirmed that there was a sixth dragon let alone it’s name. The confirmation of a sixth dragon would be a big deal in Tyria.

Moving into Maguuma, the story is that E sent us chasing down rumours that “Scarlet disturbed one of the dragons” but it never specifies which dragon. Upon encountering Mordremoth’s minions, it’s not even clear they are dragon minions. They could be natural residents of Maguuma or even Nightmare creatures (Nightmare Courtier’s being absent makes that less believable) so even at that point calling them Mordremoth’s minions is premature. The evidence was definitely mounting to write this off as an Elder Dragon but it still wasn’t confirmed.

If anyone in Tyria discovered a sixth dragon and somehow confirmed it to be Mordremoth (or named it themselves/heard the name from someone else) it should have been shown before the PC says the word. It’s not a small plot detail that falls by the wayside or is left up to your imagination. It’s a huge plot detail that actually confirmed a lot of speculation from players for almost two years now. It should have been a big moment, but it wasn’t even a moment.

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

I disagree about the Orders not knowing about 6 Elder Dragons. In the Durmand Priory one specific NPC Scholar Trueclaw notes “Jotun, mursaat, forgotten, seer, dwarf. Five against six. It seems so unfair. And, yet…”. The fact that he’s in the Durmand Priory stating that 5 races against 6 (Dragons) and he’s actually an Order of Whispers agent infiltrating the Durmand Priory shows that to some point they did know of the existence of a 6th Elder Dragon.

I do agree on how the hell did our PC know his name without anything in game pointing towards it. Maybe it was left out intentionally so people could come up with their own ways on how their PC knew the name? Sounds cheeky but possible.

that’s like, the one hint at a sixth dragon in the entire game, and it’s just that, a hint.

the master of whispers clearly states “one down, four to go” after you kill zhaitan, and she’s the master of freaking whispers.

my explanation is now morphogenetic fields. we transmited our knowledge to the PC through a mix of epiphany and danger.

in Living World

Stark.1350

in Living World

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Simple explanation, they messed up, it was poorly written.

Basically it goes bla-bla, “dragon”, “Mordremoth”, “don’t know what or who” over the course of two-three dialogue trees. First we out of the blue know and state it’s a dragon, we know it’s Mordremoth and call it by name, then suddenly we don’t know what or who it is that did this and that. It’s a bit of a mess, a bit out of nowhere, and it honestly ruined the story for me. I enjoy the new area expansion (plus the one we can get to which is not supposed to be accessed yet (I guess)), but the way this episode started off, I just couldn’t enjoy it for the story progression. That sudden it’s a dragon and it’s Mordremoth completely ruined it for me.

It doesn’t matter if there are hints to Mordremoth’s existence in the game, that we are all aware that this must be the next dragon we’re ramping up towards. My PC and the NPC heroes has not mentioned it once in the first episode, things are a mystery at the end of it, then suddenly, start the second episode and.. slap, it’s this and that. I know this.. just because. It doesn’t matter if I shouldn’t be certain about it, I am.. because I was poorly written.

I hope the team can go back and do a little bit of altering to either episode 1 or 2, so future players don’t get this inconsistent slap in the face. Perhaps just edit out the whole dragon/Mordremoth part altogether until they actually know what’s going on..

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Mordremoth is not named in that book, however, at least not in the text on the wiki to which you linked.

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

notice how mordremoth isn’t mentioned anywhere in that book, not even rumored (like bubbles). bubbles is referred to indirectly, kralk, prim, zhaitan and jormag are referred to by name, but there is no record of mordy anywhere in that book.

in Living World

Posted by: Yuino.2684

Yuino.2684

Zhaitan’s name is mentioned multiple times throughout not only the personal story, but I believe in casual NPC dialogue as well.

This is btw, what shocked me the first time I ever heard of Zhaitan. As a player who joined shortly after the Megaserver-Patch and only buying the game, because I saw people who played it and it looked good, I never knew who the kitten he was. So the first time in PS we heard of him, I sat there and was like “… Who?” It took me some time to know who was mentioned and I was kinda confused, because for me it felt like it was just thrown in like common knowledge.
And this is also how I felt, when I played that story episode yesterday. It was just thrown in and again I was like “Wait … What?”, because I personally researched everything, but my PC didn’t. Also because I’m one sloppy player. Hopefully there is going to be one reasonable explanation, because I feel like this could also confuse people, who join this game now, like me and just get this thrown onto them.

in Living World

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I will rephrase my earlier comment from above as:

I don’t care about some possible canonical explanation as to for how my character knew it was a dragon and which one.

The point is that when it mattered — during the story itself — it seemed to come from nowhere, without any foundation. That took away from an otherwise well-written and excellent story.

So Mr Stein and Ms McCoy can tell us why we should have known, but that won’t make me forget that I stopped playing Entanglement for a few minutes to try to figure out whether I missed something in the last chapter or recent dialogue (I hadn’t).

I really love the story overall and I love how ANet is telling it this time, with each of the NPCs providing an alternative perspective of events that fits their personality/background. I was just jarred by how the writers handled the most important “reveal” of Season 2 (and perhaps the most important of Season 1).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Living World

Stark.1350

Alright, use this link instead. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elder_Dragon

“The only surviving records exist in dwarven legends and jotun stelae, and according to these records only five sentient races battled and survived the Elder Dragons’ last rise with knowledge of them: dwarves, jotun, forgotten, mursaat, and seers.”

“However, the records surviving from the previous cycle mention only six dragons.”

in Living World

BrunoBRS.5178

Alright, use this link instead. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elder_Dragon

“The only surviving records exist in dwarven legends and jotun stelae, and according to these records only five sentient races battled and survived the Elder Dragons’ last rise with knowledge of them: dwarves, jotun, forgotten, mursaat, and seers.”

“However, the records surviving from the previous cycle mention only six dragons.”

and if you look up those in-game records, they don’t even say “six dragons”. they (a priory scholar) name the five races alive at the time, and then say “five against six, seems unfair, and yet”.

that line up there is the only, the only, reference to a possible sixth dragon until living story.

and you’re telling me that my PC knew mordy’s name from there?

in Living World

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Your character only knows because he/she is, in fact, a minion of Mordremoth.

In the next episode, you realize you let the name slip and are forced to kill off the rest of Destiny’s Orphans before running after the Master of Peace to whack him.

in Living World

Posted by: Lydell.8713

Lydell.8713

In the first Entangled instance, my character tells the NPCs that he thinks this is the work of Mordremoth.

Where did I get this information? Is this a result of my having played through the Crucible of Eternity, somehow gleaning the name of the Elder Dragon through Subject Alpha’s use of the Teeth of Mordremoth skill? I know the dwarven texts mentioned approximately six dragons, but has my character discovered some ancient text that revealed this particular dragon’s name?

“Where did Uni go? Oh, no, Venger took him!”
“Global warming again? Thanks, Obama.”
“Village destroyed by evil, sentient vines? Must be Mordremoth up to his old tricks again.”

TL;DR: I don’t understand how my character knows Mordremoth’s name, given that I only know it because I’ve seen it tossed about on these forums and on Reddit.

The others know about Mordremoth too, they don’t react like “Mordrewho?”, they gasp. Meaning that the dragon is common knowledge in Tyria. Especially to someone like your character, whose job is basically to stop dragons. Know your enemies.

-Blackgate-

in Living World

RoyHarmon.5398

The others know about Mordremoth too, they don’t react like “Mordrewho?”, they gasp. Meaning that the dragon is common knowledge in Tyria. Especially to someone like your character, whose job is basically to stop dragons. Know your enemies.

Then my character’s backstory should have been conveyed better. I’ve played him myself for nearly 3,000 hours over the past two years, so if he had ever come across this kind of information, I should be aware of it. I watch every cinematic, interact with every object I come across (which includes browsing every book card in Divinity’s Reach), and listen to all the NPC dialogue I can. And yet, somehow, it was my own character who broke spades and declared that the cause of the hostile vine creatures was in fact an Elder Dragon named Mordremoth. At least he’s original, I guess.

Zhaitan’s name was mentioned not only by NPCs, but by the dragon’s undead minions themselves. More than once they’ve shouted, “Zhaitan demands your death!” and the like. I can understand that one being well-known. Same with Jormag, since the Sons of Svanir can’t shut up about him. Kralkatorrik was outed by Glint, and since her tale is well-known, it’s also understandable. I guess Primordus made a name for himself through the actions of the Great Destroyer, 250 years ago; the dwarves would have spread the word about him, I suppose, and the obscurity of that one might be counteracted by having 250 years to propagate.

But Mordremoth… Again, I question my character’s source.

- C. S. Lewis

in Living World

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

I facepalmed so hard that my hand came out at the back of my head.

This is Roleplaying 1-o-1. You dont know someone’s name unless they are introduced by some source.

It should have gone like this:
“This is the work of Mordremoth!”
“Mordre-what now?”
“M-Mordremoth… The next Elder Dragon?”
“How do you know this?”
“Its..its the vines. They are all over the place.”
“Yeeeesss, i can see that. How do you know it is the direct work of an Elder Dragon?”
“’Cuz Mordremoth is the planty Elder Dragon! It makes perfect sense, dont you see? We heard him roar!”
“We heard something. Thats it. We agreed that it is possibly an Elder Dragon. Now you come and tell me that its name is Mordremoth, and its the ‘planty’ dragon, obviously. I ask again, how do you know this?”
“Well… i… you see, in the Infinity Coil, there was this green area…”
“Uh-huh… go on.”
“Oh! And Subject Alpha was like ‘Roar-roar’ and ‘Blergh-Grawlllrrr’, but he was also like ‘Subject Alpha deals 1560 damage to you by using Teeth of Mordremoth!’ And it was all … earthy… and planty.”
“…Hon, did you hit on the blood whisky again?”

This made me very happy. xD

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

in Living World

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

In game there was only one previous mention of the mysterious sixth elder dragons name. Which was in CoE, but it was indirectly through a combat chat log (Teeth of Mordremoth). Everything else about Mordremoth has been strictly been ambiguous until recently. So unless our characters have picked up on mutant known as Deadpool specific power to break the 4th wall, then there is literally no explanation of how our character got that name. In all honesty the majority of the narrative for season 2 is going pretty well compared to season 1. As a matter of fact some of this crucial information about Scarlet should have been there at the very beginning. However I want to know how this slipped up. Since apparently the writers, game director, QA team, testers, and 300 plus employs did not pick up on this mistake? Really? If this could have happened in the middle or in the end it would have been a little bit more forgivable. Yet at the very beginning of episode 2 this happens?

No light bulb went off indicating a massive plot hole. This could have been easily fixed by the end of last episode. You know how? The Scarlet hologram could have mentioned the name of Mordremoth or even a secret book you found afterward. Or have us go to the Priory to seek some ancient knowledge that eventually lead to uncovering the name via Steward Gixx and Ogden Stonehealer. I mean they literally keep books on everything as the late Magister Sieran has exclaimed through the personal story. Or even have us go to CoE and do some sleuthing. Maybe even end up interrogating an inquest member to find out the name of Mordremoth.

The writers have talked about how ambiguity is a good thing, and let you interpret things as you will by leaving massive chunks of the story out of the game. Nevertheless this is the most blatant plot hole out of all the other plot holes that have been left untouched since Guild Wars 1.

in Living World

RoyHarmon.5398

Maybe this question will be addressed in this week’s “Points of Interest.”

- C. S. Lewis

in Living World

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

Oh goody then we get this information outside of the game, which means according to Bobby Stein:

Unless we’ve built content around something, it’s usually considered malleable from a design and lore standpoint. Occasionally we decide to go in a different direction months or years after the first ideas are documented or even talked about externally. In some cases that means what one member of staff says in an interview can change when it comes time to building a release. It’s part of our iterative process.
In short, go by what’s in the game.

So unless it’s implemented in game the explanation would not stand according to it’s own writer, because it can be easily changed latter on.

in Living World

RoyHarmon.5398

Oh goody then we get this information outside of the game, which means according to Bobby Stein:

Unless we’ve built content around something, it’s usually considered malleable from a design and lore standpoint. Occasionally we decide to go in a different direction months or years after the first ideas are documented or even talked about externally. In some cases that means what one member of staff says in an interview can change when it comes time to building a release. It’s part of our iterative process.
In short, go by what’s in the game.

So unless it’s implemented in game the explanation would not stand according to it’s own writer, because it can be easily changed latter on.

Well, you know, it will give them a chance to tell us why we should have known, and why our confusion is unjustified. It’s like Illconceived Was Na.9781 said earlier:

The point is that when it mattered — during the story itself — it seemed to come from nowhere, without any foundation. That took away from an otherwise well-written and excellent story.

So Mr Stein and Ms McCoy can tell us why we should have known, but that won’t make me forget that I stopped playing Entanglement for a few minutes to try to figure out whether I missed something in the last chapter or recent dialogue (I hadn’t).

I really love the story overall and I love how ANet is telling it this time, with each of the NPCs providing an alternative perspective of events that fits their personality/background. I was just jarred by how the writers handled the most important “reveal” of Season 2 (and perhaps the most important of Season 1).

- C. S. Lewis