I dont understand why people voted for Kiel

in Living World

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

Kiels rewards were kinda crap compared to evons.
If Evon would’ve won we would have seen something more / new about ABADDON.

Seriously evons rewards were a lot better than Kiels. And who cares about the Lion archs meaningless shallow politics.

It’s all about the rewards in my opinion.

I believe people who voted for Kiel hadn’t even read the website update of what the rewards would be, Evons rewards were better I mean comeone, it’s Abaddon stuff!

in Living World

Posted by: Serendipity.8326

Serendipity.8326

Evon’s rewards were kinda crap compared to Kiel’s.
Now that Kiel won we will see something new about the Thaumanova Reactor.

Seriously Kiel’s rewards were a lot better than Evon’s. And who cares about Lion’s Arch meaningless shallow politics?

I believe people who voted for Evon hadn’t even read the website update of what the rewards would be. Kiel’s rewards were better. I mean come on, it’s Asura stuff!

in Living World

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

At first I was like “Haven’t we already seen like a thousand of these threads?” And then I was like “Dude, your name is hilariously stupid and I’m no longer taking you seriously.” Also, the rewards were mentioned multiple times in-game.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Living World

An Oak Knob.1275

At first I was like “Haven’t we already seen like a thousand of these threads?” And then I was like “Dude, your name is hilariously stupid and I’m no longer taking you seriously.” Also, the rewards were mentioned multiple times in-game.

:(
But your name is also stupid.

(edited by An Oak Knob.1275)

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I believe people who voted for Kiel hadn’t even read the website update of what the rewards would be, Evons rewards were better I mean comeone, it’s Abaddon stuff!

Allow me to shed some light for you
I wrote this in response to a similar thread which is now in a locked subforum. So some details of the reply aren’t directed directly at you.

Do you think we will see a new map?

Do you think we will see new enemies?

For me, these questions are secondary to:

• Do I think we will see an interesting story play out?
  • Do I think there will be interesting group mechanics?
  • Do I think the fractal will require or reward teamplay?

My priorities, in order,

1. Interesting stuff happening
  2. Interesting back story / lore explained
  3. Interesting teamplay mechanics that don’t get boring immediately
    (some of the existing fractals have this and others don’t.)
  4. Stuff to do other than fighting
    (buttons to press, a healthy mix of my own skills and environmental elements)
  5. Diversity in different paths
    (again, some of the existing fractals are better at this than others)
  6. Thorough testing / no bugs
  7. Pleasant visuals
  8. New achievements
  9. New textures and models
  10. New types of rewards
  11. New types of enemies

(You can see why your suggestive questions probably won’t work on me.)

So, why none of us have the faintest clue about how the reactor fractal will look and feel, let alone how the Abaddon fractal would have looked and felt, it is my opinion, based on my own assumptions (obvisouly), that some of these points will be covered better by one fractal than the other:

1. pro Thaumanova
    (I find reality bending more interesting than gods. It’s a personal thing.)
  2. equal
  3. pro Thaumanova
  4. pro Thaumanova
    (for these two, assessment based on existing math element / logical puzzles / abundance of experimental environmental weapons in Asuran events, and the Aetherblade mid-boss fight.)
  5. no idea
  6. equal chance
  7. pro Abaddon
    (Maybe? Remains to be seen. “New” does not equal “prettier”.)
  8. equal chance
  9. pro Abaddon
  10. equal chance
  11. pro Abaddon

For me, it was an obvious choice. Sorry that we all can’t have the fractal you preferred. I would have taken both if I could have, but we had to pick, and I made my choice after careful deliberation based on my own priorities.

Edit: I forgot to add “humour” to the list of things I enjoy in fractals, and again, I think Thaumanova has the edge here.

in Living World

An Oak Knob.1275

I wrote this in response to a similar thread which is now in a locked subforum. So some details of the reply aren’t directed directly at you.

My priorities, in order,

7. Pleasant visuals
  8. New achievements
  10. New types of rewards
  11. New types of enemies

So, why none of us have the faintest clue about how the reactor fractal will look and feel, let alone how the Abaddon fractal would have looked and felt, it is my opinion, based on my own assumptions (obvisouly), that some of these points will be covered better by one fractal than the other:

1. pro Thaumanova
  2. equal
  3. pro Thaumanova
  4. pro Thaumanova
    (for these two, assessment based on existing math element / logical puzzles / abundance of experimental environmental weapons in Asuran events, and the Aetherblade mid-boss fight.)
  5. no idea
  6. equal chance
  7. pro Abaddon
  8. equal chance
  9. pro Abaddon
  10. equal chance
  11. pro Abaddon

For me, it was an obvious choice. Sorry that we all can’t have the fractal you preferred. I would have taken both if I could have, but we had to pick, and I made my choice after careful deliberation based on my own priorities.

Edit: I forgot to add “humour” to the list of things I enjoy in fractals, and again, I think Thaumanova has the edge here.

Well I wasn’t thinking the abaddon stuff would be a fractal, I was more thinking that we would be going to the Ring of Fire in Tyria and explore some new cool stuff there. But that’s just me.

in Living World

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Well I wasn’t thinking the abaddon stuff would be a fractal, I was more thinking that we would be going to the Ring of Fire in Tyria and explore some new cool stuff there. But that’s just me.

Ummm are you serious?

If you looked at what the rewards were you would have seen that both were offering a different fractal, either a new TR fractal or a Fall of Abaddon based fractal.

in Living World

An Oak Knob.1275

Ummm are you serious?

If you looked at what the rewards were you would have seen that both were offering a different fractal, either a new TR fractal or a Fall of Abaddon based fractal.

Eh I read it like 10 days ago, I forgot most of the details, only thing I cared about was Abaddon.
I guess you forumers won’t let this slide, anyone who disagree with the mass is not welcome right.

in Living World

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

I believe people who voted for Kiel hadn’t even read the website update of what those rewards would be, Evons rewards were better I mean comeone, it’s Abaddon stuff!

My priorities, in order,

7. Pleasant visuals
  8. New achievements
  10. New types of rewards
  11. New types of enemies

1. pro Thaumanova
  2. equal
  3. pro Thaumanova
  4. pro Thaumanova
  5. no idea
  6. equal chance
  7. pro Abaddon
  8. equal chance
  9. pro Abaddon
  10. equal chance
  11. pro Abaddon

But they clearly stated it was gonna be fractal content. I think it might’ve been you who wasn’t paying attention to the website…. And your name’s at least twice as stupid as mine.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Crazylegsmurphy.6430

Gnashblade was cool
I’m sure you’d agree
but his claim to fame
was RNG

If he had won,
we’d never be free,
from the costly and random
Black Lion Key

So, Fractals, or not
It’s so easy to see
It would have been bad
for you, and for me

I truly understand,
just how you feel,
but your wallet will thank us
that we voted for Kiel

in Living World

Posted by: crystal.5930

crystal.5930

Kiels rewards were kinda crap compared to evons.
If Evon would’ve won we would have seen something more / new about ABADDON.

Seriously evons rewards were a lot better than Kiels. And who cares about the Lion archs meaningless shallow politics.

I voted for Ellen primarily because she’s who my characters – the ones who cared at all – would have supported. But if I had been voting based entirely on rewards, I would still have gone the same way. They offered three things, IIRC.

1. Mini-games … Same offer from both candidates.
2. Abaddon fractal vs. Thaumanova fractal … I don’t care; doesn’t affect me.
3. Reduced waypoint costs vs. reduced key costs … I don’t buy RNG boxes, or the keys to open them, unless I can get them with some in-game currency that I have no other use for (like the fortune scraps). Therefore the only benefit to me here, albeit a minor one, was Ellen’s offer of decreased waypoint costs.

Chosovi Rose, Thomas Thorn, Crystalbrier, Bracken Farstone, Crassul, on Tarnished Coast
“Worshipping nonsense and imagination” — Hayden Herrera (paraphrased)

in Living World

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I don’t care about Abaddon. I DO care about cheaper waypoints.

Also, Charr are evil and should always lose.

in Living World

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Oh hey the same thread we’ve seen thousands of times. Saying how abaddon would have been amazing and thaumanova sucks. You’re like 2 weeks late to complain about this with everyone else.

Not everyone agrees with you. I don’t buy keys, and I think the thaumanova fractal would be interesting. Evon had nothing I wanted.

in Living World

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

My reason for voting Kiel is simple – there’s no way to properly show the fall of Abaddon in a 20 minute dungeon. That’s like stuffing the entirety of the Lord of the Rings in 20 pages. For it to work, it NEEDS an expansion or, at the very least, about 6 months of living story dedicated to telling the story. Another point is we already know about Abaddon so, unless they go into minute details (again, my first point) there is no point is revisiting the story.

On the other hand, Thaumanova we know next to nothing about. The reason behind the explosion can be told tastefully within the time limit. We may even get it sooner than later because the art assets are already in the game.

The only other factor was reduced waypoint costs verses cheaper black lion keys. I’ve already written novels about my opinion of RNG so that was a no-brainer. Now, if they guaranteed a few T6 crafting materials in each chest as well as a chance of something rare, I would perk an eyebrow. Otherwise I’m saving my money and cheaper waypoints certainly will help with that.

in Living World

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

Evon’s rewards were kinda crap compared to Kiel’s.
Now that Kiel won we will see something new about the Thaumanova Reactor.

Seriously Kiel’s rewards were a lot better than Evon’s. And who cares about Lion’s Arch meaningless shallow politics?

I believe people who voted for Evon hadn’t even read the website update of what the rewards would be. Kiel’s rewards were better. I mean come on, it’s Asura stuff!

You win. That made my day lol.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

This sums up my reaction to this tread, thank you Pixel.

in Living World

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

I voted for Kiel because I wanted a good and honest person on the council. It wasn’t about rewards for me. It’s about the future lore.

in Living World

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

I voted for Evon for his fractal, but I’m happy Kiel won so we don’t get the RNG.
That leaves me quite indifferent all together.
I wouldn’t have voted for Ellen Kiel, as there’s nothing she offered that made me want her. I’ve only had strong feelings regarding Evon’s promises.

in Living World

Posted by: Pewintodo.4138

Pewintodo.4138

Some people don’t buy keys for rng boxes but everyone uses waypoints

Some people thought the Abaddon story was everything. Some people thought it deserved to be bigger than just “another fractal”.

When you consider what Evon could have offered (from his extensive collection of gem store goodies or his taxes on every TP transaction) you realise he’s a bit of a cheap-skate and not worthy of votes. Ergo he lost and rightly so. Next time he should up his offer as he’s the biggest leech in the game. He also could have come up with a way to ban TP flipping and earned a lot more support.

in Living World

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

And you are entitled to it – nowhere will I at any point say otherwise. But, in my opinion, it’s all about the candidates. As crystal said, “I voted for Ellen primarily because she’s who my characters – the ones who cared at all – would have supported.

While neither of them has a history in governance, both have shown an aptitude to lead – Kiel as a highly ranking officer of the Lionguard, and Gnashblade as CEO of the BLTC. And both have had dealings with the Captains’ Council in the course of their offices – Kiel is answerable to them, and Evon would have to work with them to establish his HQ in their city.

So their credentials are equal, when it comes to it. It then comes down to their character:

Ellen Kiel has proven herself a willing and able defender of Lion’s Arch, and has demonstrated loyalty to the city through her service. Three times now, she has worked with freelancing heroes (ahem) to deal with serious threats to the peace of the city and/or its citizens. As one of those heroes, my character is favorably disposed to her candidacy.

Evon Gnashblade…. I will admit, he’s had rather less screen time, but what we’ve been shown isn’t very flattering. His entire decision to court the Zephyrites came from eavesdropping on Magnus’s suggestion that Kiel go to them to prove her worth to the Council. His actions in his Candidate Trials show that he is willing to use stolen wealth to fund his campaign, and we clearly see what use he puts that wealth to – dropping a bit of coin into each of his “reminders” – yes, indeed: Evon Gnashblade is unabashedly resorting to bribery in his bid for the Council.

His character and tactics make him an aggressive and successful merchant tycoon, perhaps, but they do not make me look favorably on him taking on a role in running the city of Lion’s Arch.

Besides – if he took the seat, he couldn’t focus as much on his old job. He’d have to delegate a lot more to people without his… business acumen. With a rival Consortium hovering at the edges, this is not a good time for the BLTC to be anything less than its best.

THAT is why I voted the way I did. But if I were to vote for the rewards, and not the candidates, I would still vote for Ellen Kiel:

The minigames are the same for both of them; we’ll just skip to the ones that matter.

Fractals: The original Fall of Abaddon is a story we know a great deal about already. Big A handed out magic like candy. King Doric asked Dwayna to do something about it. The Bloodstone Pact did something about it. Abaddon was unhappy. He rose in revolt. He lost. He was locked away. As stated above, that is way too much to put into a Fractal, anyway, unless it revolves wholly around the godly battle. And what role would that put us in? Mortals who fought the Margonites of the Crystal Sea? Or would we be there, in the streets of Arah, as gods battled? Besides, why would a Charr take such an interest in a conflict of the human Gods? And on top of all of that, Abaddon has been dead for 250 years.

Thaumanova, now…. that has real potential. We know that the Inquest were doing something there, and it led to the meltdown. But what? If it has anything to do with their Dragon-related researches, it would certainly prove insightful in ways that would be relevant to the overarching threat of the Elder Dragons. Plus, a catastrophic meltdown is both extremely eventful and remarkably fast – perfect for a Fractal.

Ahh, Post Limit. My eternal foe.

in Living World

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

Then there’s the discounts. And for this, Pewintodo sums up my stance: “Some people don’t buy keys for rng boxes but everyone uses waypoints.” Giving us half off on BL Keys would not do a single thing for me. Evon Gnashblade would be lucky if I bought a single 5-pack during the discount period. Because, as a rule, I don’t buy Black Lion Keys. At half off, I probably still wouldn’t, with just an outside chance that I’d try one set of five.

People who don’t buy them normally, but would buy them half price, were essentially voting for the ability to pay more. People who WOULD buy normally would now be able to buy twice as much, or simply the same amount for less – and while this would benefit them, they are probably a small fraction, given the expense of being a regular Key buyer (whether you spend Gold or Cash) – and all for boxes that have a rather high chance of disappointing you anyway! (Now, you can be TWICE as disappointed!)

Seriously – I am normally a very level-headed poster, but if Evon won, and I ever saw any Gnashblade voter complain about the lousy RNG and that the sale price made them waste more money and that they wished they voted for Kiel, I would not be able to promise level-headedness. It would very much be a “You made your bed, now lie in it” sort of situation.

Waypoints, now… fastest way to get around. Oh, sure, it’s “chump change”. But it adds up. At level 80, waypointing within radar distance costs 1.39. Crossing the entire continent can top five silver. Over the course of a single day, people probably spend 10, 15 silver on waypoints. Maybe more; I’m being very conservative here. Over the course of 28 days, that amounts to about 3-4 gold (technically, 2.8 to 4.2, IF my conservative estimate is used). People who play longer, or bounce about a lot more, will end up saving more.

“But still, you can make a lot more than that even in just one day!” To that, I can only say, every little bit helps.

Besides, to lower-leveled players, not overburdened with coin, too much waypointing CAN deplete their funds, since they don’t have access to the better sources of income.

So, in short, waypoint cost reduction is something that benefits everybody. Unless there are any diehard purists who insist on walking everywhere, all the time. But I imagine that the number of those people is a lot smaller than the amount of people who wouldn’t see the benefit in Key cost reduction.

That’s IF I voted based on rewards. Now, I won’t lie and say they were absolutely NOT part of the appeal, but they were not the determining reason, to me. As I said, I play the way I think my character would act. He went with someone who helped him fight the good fight to protect the people.

in Living World

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I voted for Kiel because I liked her, and I knew her better than Evon.

Not to ANet: Never do this again unless you build up each character involved so we know more about them. Like, a sadistic choice between Rox and Braham. Or Tybalt and Gwen.

. . . what? I don’t really think she’s dead. She was “dead” before, you know.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Living World

Posted by: jamesgrimble.1293

jamesgrimble.1293

I don’t want to be rude but how can you make a post on this when you didn’t even know that the Fall of Abaddon was going to be a fractal. Also, please don’t use the excuse ‘I read about it 10 days ago’ you don’t forget it will be a fractal.

Now onto the Kiel stuff personally I found Kiel’s rewards the WP reduction much better than Evon’s Black Lion keys price reduction. Also not to mention I was really interested into the Thaumanova reactor and that is why I voted for Kiel. Just because you didn’t like her doesn’t mean many other people never.

in Living World

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Because I prefer the tryhard, ambitious orphan archetype to the unscrupulous, money-grubbing merchant archetype.

in Living World

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I voted for Evon because humans are boring and played out to the point of ridiculousness, and the old lore is far better than shallow kiel monologues and another predictable-reskinned CoE-reactor explosion any day. But hey, the unwashed masses have spoken, and they wanted shallow human content, so that’s what we get. There’s no point in arguing over it now.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Living World

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Make’s two of us. I don’t understand why people voted for Evan.

Let’s make this as simple as most players understood it:
- Evan was a vote for more gem store RNG crap
- Ellen was a vote for lower gold sinks

People always, always vote with their wallet. The fractal was a side issue if compared to the economic problems and both had an entirely opposite solution. It’s like voting Evan socialist (more taxes) or Ellen liberal (lower taxes).

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Living World

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Make’s two of us. I don’t understand why people voted for Evan.

Let’s make this as simple as most players understood it:
- Evan was a vote for more gem store RNG crap
- Ellen was a vote for lower gold sinks

People always, always vote with their wallet. The fractal was a side issue if compared to the economic problems and both had an entirely opposite solution. It’s like voting Evan socialist (more taxes) or Ellen liberal (lower taxes).

Except the fact that you’re basing that off temporary content. Those (lower taxes) are only for a few weeks, then you’re right back where you started, only now you’re stuck with shallow story and lost the chance for some truly interesting deep lore that was built and refined by the lore team for many many years before the reactor mess was even concieved.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…