Karka Queen dumped for Dragon Festivities

in Living World

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I’ve noticed on the gw2stuff.com event timer page that the karka queen hasn’t been activated once in nearly a full day. It seems the poor old queen was the victim of a one-two punch thanks to Anet’s grand timing, as usual.

Firstly in the update they remove the impetus for being there, ie. people’s devout beliefs in MF and coin bonus. Those NPC’s have been removed like we knew they were going to be, but at the same time, the Dragon Bash has taken pride of place and removed the spotlight from Southsun. Not even the lure of a big chest every time the queen is killed (instead of once a day per character for the big chest and once a day per acct for the 2 rares-or-better small chest) is enough to get people back to kill karka.

Has Anet shot itself in the foot once more?

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

in Living World

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Its not even just the Karka Queen. My server lost almost all of our WvW assets (I think all we had left was 3 towers and a couple camps) till really late last night when we finally got people back in and took back our stuff. Thats just the way festivals impact the rest of the game, everyone goes to the new content.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It’s the first/second day of Dragon Bash. Everybody will be busy gobbling up the new content. Give it a few days to a week and I imagine people will start filtering back into the old zones.

in Living World

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I think south sun has been very anti-climactic all around…because I don’t believe they’re doing any more with it any time this year.

in Living World

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I dont think this is really a big issue. As others have said, give it time.

Also, the Karka Queen event is something a guild or group of friends could easily tackle on its on. It’s there if a group wants to take it on for the reward.

in Living World

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

The way the karka queen is designed has insured that it will hardly get activated anymore since you need either massive amounts of people freeing up all the settlements at once or a coordinated zerg playing wack-a-mole for an hour. feel lucky if you get that chest more than once a week from now on.

in Living World

Posted by: CorneliusCoffin.3169

CorneliusCoffin.3169

To be honest, I pretty much expected the karka-riot events to go away with the Dragon Bash updates.
They don’t make sense from a game design perspective, because, as you have all said, people are losing interest in Southsun and they are too frequent to be kept under control with just two handfull of people.
But what I, personally, find worse is that they’re ruining my closure for the Southsun Living Story Event. With Canach in prison and the source of the karka unrest identified, there’s actually no longer a reason for the karka to run amok in the settlements. That’s just confusing. Why are they still attacking?

in Living World

Posted by: AlexDelux.4053

AlexDelux.4053

I really don’t understand why no-one does this boss these days, i mean, i made all other world bosses, hydra queen, eye of zhaitan and even balthazar, and there was always a great number of players. But when I go to Southsun i can’t find anyone, what’s wrong with people?? The Dragon Bash is surely a pretty thing, but nothing so big rewarding and it will last a month.
Sorry for the complaining, but i’m really disappointed as i liked doing that boss and now i have to guest to be able (maybe) to do it

in Living World

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I really don’t understand why no-one does this boss these days, i mean, i made all other world bosses, hydra queen, eye of zhaitan and even balthazar, and there was always a great number of players. But when I go to Southsun i can’t find anyone, what’s wrong with people?? The Dragon Bash is surely a pretty thing, but nothing so big rewarding and it will last a month.
Sorry for the complaining, but i’m really disappointed as i liked doing that boss and now i have to guest to be able (maybe) to do it

The karka queen takes either more effort or is less rewarding than the ones you’ve mentioned. Hydra queen is relatively easy, most of the work is getting it to spawn. Main challenge for Eye of Zhaitan is the champion abomination but event that is not too bad, just dodging and ressing people. I assume Balthazar has chance of dropping a core/lodestone but even if it didn’t it is one of 2(3) sources for Obsidian Shards. As far as I know it is also the only place to get exotic cavalier trinkets.

I guess the queen has the settler gear associated with it but judging from the value of the settler trinkets that dropped it is not a a very popular stat combination. A tanky setup while slowly killing things with conditions doesn’t sound very appealing.

In other words it is a lot more for work basically the same reward, possibly less reward since the queen’s chest contains fewer items and just some karka shells.

in Living World

Posted by: Curse Drew.8679

Curse Drew.8679

Yeah ive noticed the events are impacted, and it seems even the trading post is being effective too. Things like super skins, mini’s, & some other limited time stuff has dropped in value. Seems like many ppl sold them off and cancelled buy offer to get money for this event.

in Living World

Posted by: NoobOnSteroid.7192

NoobOnSteroid.7192

Temporary content is just that: temporary. The fact that they left part of it there to linger doesn’t do anything to the overall feeling you get from the current chain of temporary updates. Once the event is over, people just shift their gaze to the next shiny event.

I’d rather see more permanent content, and less of an “event frenzy”. Events like wintersday, halloween, … were a lot of fun because they felt special. If you paste one event after another, the whole special feeling dissolves rather quickly and you’re stuck with “oh, another event?”-reactions.

in Living World

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

It’s coming up to 5 days without karka queen event activation on my server. The lure of the Dragon Bash is starting to wear off a little, now that the fireworks have gone off and most players have got their helms and done dragon bash achieves and are biding time waiting for the next update to get more achieves done on the 18th. Still I don’t see many people on karka island trying to recapture settlements. Might have to change servers on gw2stuff.com to see when/if the karka queen has been activated recently, and guest to keep farming those events. My thinking is that they offered more stuff from the karka queen chest, but just at the wrong time.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

in Living World

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This always happens.

The karka queen is permanent content so anyone who hasn’t already done it can do it at any time, whereas Dragon Bash is both new and temporary. Therefore everyone is focusing on that and permanent things are being left until later.

Just like how the issue supposedly caused by guesting (which according to some people made it essential for guesting to be removed or restricted) that made it impossible to reliably farm world bosses because people kept being pushed into overflows was solved, not by any changes to guesting, but just by enough time passing that the guaranteed rare drops stopped being the new exciting thing that everyone wanted to do.

Towards the end of the Dragon Bash festival when most people have done everything they want/need to do more people will go back to doing world bosses, including the karka queen. Then some other new content will come out and everyone will do that, then they’ll go back to what they did before…and so on.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Living World

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

This always happens.
Just like how the issue supposedly caused by guesting (which according to some people made it essential for guesting to be removed or restricted) that made it impossible to reliably farm world bosses because people kept being pushed into overflows was solved, not by any changes to guesting, but just by enough time passing that the guaranteed rare drops stopped being the new exciting thing that everyone wanted to do.

It was making the guaranteed rare per account rather than per character that did that (and they’re still very popular, just not overflow-creating popular), for the most point.

in Living World

Posted by: Timothy.7204

Timothy.7204

I get the impression the game has fewer people playing. Most areas have no one in them. I haven’t been to the Cursed Shore area in a long time, but went there recently and quickly learned why so many hate that area now and no one is there. You would think they would realize this and fix it for the better, and stop nerfing everything.

in Living World

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I think south sun has been very anti-climactic all around…because I don’t believe they’re doing any more with it any time this year.

I’m ok with that. I’m honestly tired of all the focus that’s been placed on Southsun. I was barely interested in it the first time around and the repeated attempts to draw me back there make me frustrated, because I can’t help but think of the time and effort that could have been spent elsewhere in locations that I actually want to see fleshed out (like the Crystal Desert or Maguuma Wastes; even the Northern Shiverpeaks would do.).

in Living World

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Need underflow servers.

in Living World

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

My thoughts on those two areas in general (Southsun and Cursed Shore).

Shorten up the loot tables to drop T6 mats more frequently.
Shorten up the loot tables to drop greens rares and exotics more frequently.
Create some new skins that drop from named champions and bring on more legendary boss mobs.

a bit off topic but still in the general realm of thought.

Dungeon Bosses/World Champs,Bosses need items similar to green items in Guild Wars. I know many weapons like this exist already (jormags breath and final rest are examples that come to mind for meta bosses), but more could be better overall to get ppl doing the content more.

Settlers gear stats, well…to each his own. I personally think there are too many exotic versions of stat combos. It’s starting to look messy. The whole ascended thing is messy also. The whole condition vs power thing is messy. The poor t6 personal drops is messy (my experience may not be your own). The extremely low drop rate of lodestones is messy. I could go on and on, but even with my complaints…I still can’t stop playing this game, I’m hooked.

Anyhow, you want folks in maps anet? Map specific/Boss specific rewards are the way to go. I know green weps took some time to show up in Guild Wars, heres to hoping we get something along those lines.

in Living World

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

Yeah please Anet, don’t release new content! I’d rather just farm the same boss every day.

Said no-one ever. Well, cept the OP. Go home, OP, you’re drunk.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Well, I was on Southsun for a Guild Mission just yesterday. After we completed the Rush, we noticed that 3/4 settlements were captured, so we figured, “Hey, let’s see if we can pop the Queen.” About 10 minutes later, Queen was up, I let out a holler in Map and Guild chat to let people know, and 4 minutes later there was about 40 – 50 people (enough to trigger culling, at least) smashing the Queen into crab jelly.

So it is still being done, at least on busier servers like Tarnished Coast. I do agree that the frequency of the attacks on the settlements is a bit high though. I think after each settlement is pacified, it should stay safe for at least 15 – 20 mins. Right now it feels like as soon as the Queen is dead, we look at the map and all the settlements are contested again. That ain’t right!

in Living World

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Shorten up the loot tables to drop T6 mats more frequently.

They really need to clean up loot bags so they only contain items of their own tier, for starters

in Living World

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Well, I was on Southsun for a Guild Mission just yesterday. After we completed the Rush, we noticed that 3/4 settlements were captured, so we figured, “Hey, let’s see if we can pop the Queen.” About 10 minutes later, Queen was up, I let out a holler in Map and Guild chat to let people know, and 4 minutes later there was about 40 – 50 people (enough to trigger culling, at least) smashing the Queen into crab jelly.

So it is still being done, at least on busier servers like Tarnished Coast. I do agree that the frequency of the attacks on the settlements is a bit high though. I think after each settlement is pacified, it should stay safe for at least 15 – 20 mins. Right now it feels like as soon as the Queen is dead, we look at the map and all the settlements are contested again. That ain’t right!

On the other hand we have this. They aren’t the only ones either.

Attachments:

(edited by Khisanth.2948)