Kill Braham, Marjory off in story

in Living World

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Braham was never a very interesting character and recent events did nothing to improve it any. The only good interactions Braham has ever had has been with Taimi and that was only due to Taimi being funny. Kill him off or not I would be quite happy to see less of him.

Marjory is alright for now, though that could easily change.

Honestly, so long as they keep bringing back Canach and giving us some great dialogue with him, then they can do what they want with the rest of the characters.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

in Living World

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

Kill Braham, please…. i would pay gems for it

in Living World

Posted by: Mike.7263

Mike.7263

Resurrect Eir, kill Braham. It’ll give her something to angst about. A grown woman angsting is far more interesting than a little boy whining.

(edited by Mike.7263)

in Living World

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Resurrect Eir, kill Braham. It’ll give her something to angst about. A grown woman angsting is far more interesting than a little boy whining.

And definitely more interesting than a man whining.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Braham is, like, 16 or 17 at the time of the LS3 events. He is so totally still a boy.

in Living World

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

As annoying as Braham is with his whining, I actually don’t mind it as a character trait considering his age and what he went through (just reconnected with his mother then she is killed in front of him). What I do find upsetting is that the PC is forced to indulge his behavior. Like, I get it kid, you’re going through a rough time. I’m still going to speak up if you are acting rashly and endangering others with your recklessness.

in Living World

SlippyCheeze.5483

As annoying as Braham is with his whining, I actually don’t mind it as a character trait considering his age and what he went through (just reconnected with his mother then she is killed in front of him). What I do find upsetting is that the PC is forced to indulge his behavior. Like, I get it kid, you’re going through a rough time. I’m still going to speak up if you are acting rashly and endangering others with your recklessness.

That is the price of being the hero of the story … we have to act in a way consistent with the story as written, or it all falls apart. I liked the way The Secret World made me just another member of the group, and the leaders were NPCs.

Sure, I might hate the group direction, but I didn’t feel forced to accept it, and could take actions to disagree, etc, without breaking the whole story apart.

in Living World

Moonyeti.3296

That is the price of being the hero of the story … we have to act in a way consistent with the story as written, or it all falls apart. I liked the way The Secret World made me just another member of the group, and the leaders were NPCs.

Sure, I might hate the group direction, but I didn’t feel forced to accept it, and could take actions to disagree, etc, without breaking the whole story apart.

I liked how it was handled with Caithe stealing the egg. As you say, we are forced to go along with the story, as we don’t have multiple story paths in GW2 – but in that case it was clear the PC was not happy with what she was doing, she just did it anyway. I’d like to see more of that with Braham as well. He can forge his own path against our will, but we should be way more vocal about our opposition. To me, it just felt like we gave a token effort to dissuade him from going off on his own but just sort of shrugged our shoulders when he doesn’t listen.

in Living World

SlippyCheeze.5483

I liked how it was handled with Caithe stealing the egg. As you say, we are forced to go along with the story, as we don’t have multiple story paths in GW2 – but in that case it was clear the PC was not happy with what she was doing, she just did it anyway. I’d like to see more of that with Braham as well. He can forge his own path against our will, but we should be way more vocal about our opposition. To me, it just felt like we gave a token effort to dissuade him from going off on his own but just sort of shrugged our shoulders when he doesn’t listen.

If it helps, I would probably have done the same thing. It’s quite clear to me that Braham is not willing or able to listen to reason, and “conversation” is not going to change things here.

I’ve dealt with too many people in that mode in real life to think that the story as written by anet got it wrong in trying a tiny bit, then kind of giving up, being sad, and asking Rox to keep him out of trouble until we can figure out how the heck to save him from himself.

I can totally see why you might want to respond differently, though. My responses are shaped by my own experience in similar situations, and seeing that my instinct to respond isn’t productive. If that is because I got unlucky situations, or sucked when I tried to respond, that’d totally bias me against action when … maybe it’s the right thing to do.

in Living World

Moonyeti.3296

If it helps, I would probably have done the same thing. It’s quite clear to me that Braham is not willing or able to listen to reason, and “conversation” is not going to change things here.

I’ve dealt with too many people in that mode in real life to think that the story as written by anet got it wrong in trying a tiny bit, then kind of giving up, being sad, and asking Rox to keep him out of trouble until we can figure out how the heck to save him from himself.

I can totally see why you might want to respond differently, though. My responses are shaped by my own experience in similar situations, and seeing that my instinct to respond isn’t productive. If that is because I got unlucky situations, or sucked when I tried to respond, that’d totally bias me against action when … maybe it’s the right thing to do.

That does help to look at it that way, actually. I still don’t love it, but I can pass off the PC as just giving him some space because we have more important things to do. Really, if it was just Braham putting himself in danger, I would look at it just like you described, but the fact that he is probably going to get a lot of innocents killed with his recklessness is the part that makes me feel like the PC should speak up a bit more.

I always like to see different takes on this stuff though. Thanks!

in Living World

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

At first I thought the dialogue with Majory was done this way because the Commander (here female Sylvari) was stressed out of bad things happening after another, but later on I realized it was simply how the VA of the female Sylvari sounds lol.

As for Braham: I also agree that I didn’t like his behavior. The main deal with his jerk reaction towards PCs new guild was that both talked past each other. The PC didn’t want to come across as sneaky in stealing DE away post-burial, while Braham probably thought creating and moving on with Dragon Watch is a sign of not respecting (or caring about) Eir. But overall, it’s still hot-headed Braham. Who put DE back in action, and in case of a Norn PC encouraged Eir to move on from the tragedy surrounding Snaff? And Eir certainly wouldn’t agree with Brahams plan to attempt zerging Jormag down. But I also want to state that I didn’t mind Braham during the main story of HoT (maybe because I haven’t played LS1?).

in Living World

Moonyeti.3296

At first I thought the dialogue with Majory was done this way because the Commander (here female Sylvari) was stressed out of bad things happening after another, but later on I realized it was simply how the VA of the female Sylvari sounds lol.

As for Braham: I also agree that I didn’t like his behavior. The main deal with his jerk reaction towards PCs new guild was that both talked past each other. The PC didn’t want to come across as sneaky in stealing DE away post-burial, while Braham probably thought creating and moving on with Dragon Watch is a sign of not respecting (or caring about) Eir. But overall, it’s still hot-headed Braham. Who put DE back in action, and in case of a Norn PC encouraged Eir to move on from the tragedy surrounding Snaff? And Eir certainly wouldn’t agree with Brahams plan to attempt zerging Jormag down. But I also want to state that I didn’t mind Braham during the main story of HoT (maybe because I haven’t played LS1?).

Braham always had a chip on his shoulder about something, that is part of his character and the writers I feel have been pretty consistent with that. In LS1 he was less angsty, but when he was it was because he felt his mother had abandoned him growing up, and that people were not taking the molten alliance threat seriously. Also in LS1 there were a lot more moments where it was ‘Rox and Braham adventures’ without the angst, and we got to see their friendship start and grow during LS1.

in Living World

Djinn.9245

Braham is, like, 16 or 17 at the time of the LS3 events. He is so totally still a boy.

In hunter societies, and considering that he is allowed to go into life-threatening situations with us on a regular basis, males younger than that are considered men.

Whether you are correct or I am correct, if he can’t handle the situation he shouldn’t be adventuring with us.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in Living World

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

In hunter societies, and considering that he is allowed to go into life-threatening situations with us on a regular basis, males younger than that are considered men.

Whether you are correct or I am correct, if he can’t handle the situation he shouldn’t be adventuring with us.

Didn’t Braham basically lose every authority figure important to him though? His dad died before the molten alliance attack (I don’t know how long before that, could have been days, could have been years) and then he found out his mom was Eir. He was bitter but finally reconnected with her for like 30 seconds before she went on the airship that fell, leading her to be captured and, well, you know the rest. Braham, as far as I know, doesn’t really report to anyone. So as far as ‘he is allowed’ to go, he’s been standing on his feet for a while.

I don’t think it’s a matter of him being unable to handle the situation, I think it’s Braham basically having lost the things that he felt he needed.

He could be taking it all way better of course, but I don’t know, his character makes sense to me. Losing a partner on the battlefield is going to become a given eventually. Losing a parent when you were so close to saving them? A parent that you just reconnected with after however long you were bitter for? He has a right to the way he feels, I just don’t know if it’s been perfectly explored by Anet.

Basically, as a whole, I’m cool with all of the members of Dragon’s Watch. If they must die, let it be story appropriate, otherwise leave them alive.

in Living World

Djinn.9245

Didn’t Braham basically lose every authority figure important to him though? His dad died before the molten alliance attack (I don’t know how long before that, could have been days, could have been years) and then he found out his mom was Eir. He was bitter but finally reconnected with her for like 30 seconds before she went on the airship that fell, leading her to be captured and, well, you know the rest. Braham, as far as I know, doesn’t really report to anyone. So as far as ‘he is allowed’ to go, he’s been standing on his feet for a while.

In Norn society, people go out of their way to “go out in a blaze of glory”. So:

1. Losing people should be honored instead of making one emo.

2. If we allow him to be with us, it should be because he can handle himself. We are the worst kind of irresponsible if we are allowing an emo child to tag along into war. The question isn’t whether Braham has someone to forbid him, all of the adults in our group allow him to accompany us for a reason (one would think).

in Living World

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

In Norn society, people go out of their way to “go out in a blaze of glory”. So:

1. Losing people should be honored instead of making one emo.

But there wasn’t any glory in what happened to Eir. In fact, she was betrayed at the last moment, leading to an inglorious death. She didn’t participate in some epic last stand against overwhelming odds. She didn’t even fight. She had nothing to fight with because of her imprisonment. Knowing all that, it could further lead to Braham being the way he is. On top of the emotional aspect of losing a mother who you were long bitter about and reconnected with for 5 minutes before her dying, there’s also the fact that Braham could possibly believe that Eir simply deserved a better death, a more heroic death to truly accommodate who she was.

There’s also no reason that a character needs to conform with their society. Rox is a great example, and Braham is another one (if less of a ‘great’ example). I’m not saying there’s no flaw in Braham’s portrayal, I agree that he could be shown better. But it’s not out of the question for him to be acting the way he is considering all the circumstances.

2. If we allow him to be with us, it should be because he can handle himself. We are the worst kind of irresponsible if we are allowing an emo child to tag along into war. The question isn’t whether Braham has someone to forbid him, all of the adults in our group allow him to accompany us for a reason (one would think).

Braham hasn’t officially joined us yet, so we’re not really allowing him to tag along with us just yet. I assume that he’ll officially become part of Dragon’s Watch after he calms down. Even Knut Whitebeard ‘allows’ Braham to form a party to scout out Jormag before the official Norn frontal assault on the elder dragon. He is his own man, not even someone with authority (however little authority he may hold) could stop Braham from doing what he’s currently doing.

Also, we messed up, we didn’t get to Eir in time, so it’s on us to try and help him in a way that we couldn’t help Eir before.

in Living World

Posted by: Ngeluz.4860

Ngeluz.4860

I wouldn’t mind that if that means 1) we can have more interesting replacements and 2) we will be seeing less of in-your-face PDA (nothing against lesbians, but the writer/s seem to have some lingering fetish over them, or is it to cater some fan demographics?).

I missed the first LW story so there’s that, but honestly, to me, none of the major characters has been interesting enough to care one bit.

Wow, I thought I was the only one that notice that… Hmmm, what if Brand had a crush on the commander and the commander was a guy? Or on some guy? Would it be the same? Would it affect the rating “teen” or story of the game? I really didn’t have the courage to say it in the forums because as I read never saw anyone point it out.

To tell you the truth notice all the Lebians but dint see gays guys at all… in all the game… none, even the hetero relationships seem a bit low too last time I check. Maybe you’re right, it may be a writer/s seem to have some lingering fetish over them, or it’s to cater some fan demographics… interesting, Im glad Im not the only one that notice it.

in Living World

Posted by: DavyMcB.1603

DavyMcB.1603

Braham just tries too hard and it is annoying. Majory is alright although I wouldnt mind her dead.

Canach is the best one and he was written out, ggezwp.

But then why do you expect quality story writing from anet, let alone interesting characters. GW2 is never about those things.

in Living World

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Killing off characters we want to see gone is boring. Better kill someone we do care about. Someone like Aurene. :P

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

in Living World

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Killing off characters we want to see gone is boring. Better kill someone we do care about. Someone like Aurene. :P

Whoa there, settle down, Abaddon.

Not that I’d be surprised if Primormag (it’s a portmanteau of Primordus and GEORmag~) found a way to kill her. ANet seems to like fridging things we even remotely care about.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

in Living World

Djinn.9245

Yes, forcing us to deal with obnoxious, useless, or overbearing NPCs and killing off or removing the ones we like is their hallmark.

in Living World

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

We’re supposed to care about her?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Living World

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Not Marjory! We already have not seen Kasmeer this season and there would be even less a chance to re-introduce her if Marjory was not around.

in Living World

Posted by: TempestMoon.5403

TempestMoon.5403

I like the idea that Revenants could learn to summon Eir as their next specialization. That way Rytlock can channel Eir and give Braham the lashing he deserves.

in Living World

Posted by: TempestMoon.5403

TempestMoon.5403

I wouldn’t mind that if that means 1) we can have more interesting replacements and 2) we will be seeing less of in-your-face PDA (nothing against lesbians, but the writer/s seem to have some lingering fetish over them, or is it to cater some fan demographics?).

I missed the first LW story so there’s that, but honestly, to me, none of the major characters has been interesting enough to care one bit.

Wow, I thought I was the only one that notice that… Hmmm, what if Brand had a crush on the commander and the commander was a guy? Or on some guy? Would it be the same? Would it affect the rating “teen” or story of the game? I really didn’t have the courage to say it in the forums because as I read never saw anyone point it out.

To tell you the truth notice all the Lebians but dint see gays guys at all… in all the game… none, even the hetero relationships seem a bit low too last time I check. Maybe you’re right, it may be a writer/s seem to have some lingering fetish over them, or it’s to cater some fan demographics… interesting, Im glad Im not the only one that notice it.

Technically there are “gay” characters in the game even if its not in the traditional sense. While Sylvari don’t necessarily express themselves in a sexual nature they bond with either sex like any other race. Perhaps the most known is Caithe and Faolain but if you’re a Sylvari and choose the Green Knight option for your character profile the first story has two males that are really close. While it may be locked behind a personal story choice and not quite as in your face as the Kasmeer/Marjory level of PDA it does exist.