LS system is "burning" even great players.

in Living World

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

Someone with nearly 7k achievement points here. I’d only ever missed out on one monthly (by mere moments), and a small handful of dailies, up til last month’s living story arc.

Cutthroat Politics, and some of the changes introduced in Bazaar was it for me. When achievements became yet another grind, the game felt more like a chore than actual fun.

Shame too – I hear great things about the Jubilee, and especially Clockwork Chaos. I just can’t seem to get back into the game… That being said, I will definitely be back to check out the return of Super Adventure Box.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

in Living World

Posted by: coronaas.4362

coronaas.4362

9500+ achievements here last round of content was the first time i said forget it and didnt finish the achievements (but really, having to do each achievement twice? who thought up THAT gem?) and now we have a time gated 5 hour minimum to open up scarlet?

Its been a year and the last time we had real actual permanent content was in November with Lost Shore zone and Fractal dungeons. Its been 9 months without any “meat and potato” changes to the game. Living Story is snack content. While tasty and fun you cant live on snacks alone. This game has so much wasted potential and being the anniversary of the launch really starts to put a spotlight on its flaws.

The Big Bad Behr – Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/coronaas

in Living World

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I have yet to hit 4K achievements. Why? well, aside from having a life, which doesn’t count, I have to say, it’s the volume of minor achievements you have to get in order to qualify for the primary.

By the time I get into the game, and run after the zerg to get to the LS and get the next part, I’m in overflow, where the event isn’t happeneing. So, I go back to LA, or Hoelbrak, or DR (doesn’t matter really) and do the other things that are still around in the game. There is no reason for me to break my back trying to fit it all in. I don’t want to do that to myself.

Burnout is something I have thankfully not had to deal with yet, but I could see how it would be for many who absolutely have to have all the points, all the shineys, and all the content they can possibly squeeze into a 24 hour day.

If they would just slow it down a bit…and maybe give us a bit more time to do them in…and not make us feel that if we don’t get in on the first day that we’re not going to get in at all.

Good luck, everyone.

Level 80 Elementalist

in Living World

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

For me, I love the concept of the LS and while the delivery has certainly been shaky from its implementation, I applaud anet for the setting a unprecedented fast pace so that I can check back every few weeks and find more content.

What I am disspointed with however, is the story so far, and that tends to be the main reason in which I feel I have to do the achievements tasklist. All i see from the new content is new content, new tasks to achieve for new rewards. I have little connection to the actual events of each LS so therefore its hard to see anything else. The presentation still isnt right. There hasnt been a cutscene or piece of dialogue that has engaged me, and im about sick to death of having to rely on people like Woodenpotatoes in order to fill the blanks with lore details (not that i dislike the guy, in fact im with a few other forum heads on this one, he should have a in game reference for his work because in terms of injecting lore into the story, has done a much better job than anet has).

One thing that was mentioned in the latest of his videos, and something I agree with completely, is anet needs to start pushing the lore into the game alot more themselves. Take scarlets story for example. I loved this story and made me rethink my position on her as a main antagonist. And to think that when I met her in game, I thought she was a ridiculous side street mary sue that’s main ploy is rubbish humour in order to cover up the fact she has little depth and no soul, theres definately something wrong with the way characters are presented in game.
In fact, every story anet has published out of game has me hooked, engaged and intrigued. Its obvious that the lore behind the series is excellent and the writers are extremely talented. Yet every story in game is like… Meh or ‘that didnt feel quite right’. I cant quite put my finger on it… Its like the writers, the designers and the VO artists are all working from different pages.

Now that anet have started perfecting the structure of the LS, like the pacing, rewards, balance of variety, they need to start putting more emphasise on the story in which they are trying to present. Include more detailed lore and narrative WITHIN the game. Short stories on the website to boost the detail is good, having the presentation of a character be radically different in game is bad. M’kay.

When that is better, youll see players focusing on the story alot more, and the tasklist of achievements will become secondary to the narrative of that LS arc. I believe this will reduce the burn without reducing the amount of content and if Anet were REALLY clever about it, theyd try introducing those rewards into story content. More investigation quests and less complete mini-game X number of times.

(edited by Parlourbeatflex.5970)

in Living World

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

I don’t understand why people in GW2 feel the need to “check the list” and “grind and farm” things when the things they’re farming for are completely and utterly superficial and trivial in the grandscheme of playing the game. Why would you do any of it if you don’t enjoy doing it when the rewards are just cosmetic/fun/ect and have no bearing on seeing content in the game?

I would eat a spoonful of cinimon for fame, I wouldn’t do achievements I don’t care to do for an item that has no influence on gameplay in any significant way.

As for those that claim “burnout” then you “burnout”, you can’t expect to play a game, no matter what it is, without experiencing some kind of burn out, because in the end you’re still playing the same game no matter the difference in content. You would have burnt out on any other MMO a long time ago if it wasn’t for the fact that you HAVE to do the new content to get to the next, however slower that content came out; and the monetary investment it demanded (or didn’t depending on what you played prior).

New content quickly will NEVER be bad for the game; burning out is natural and being compelled to grind out rewards by doing tasks you don’t enjoy (rewards that don’t really help you other than give you a little trophy) it a personal problem, not the fact that the game is supplying you with things to do.

I’m having fun with the content by the way; the updates are more than just more random mobs to kill, they have a lot of effort put into making them at least a bit varied. Honestly the Living Story content is some of the best in the game, better than basegame now anyway.

in Living World

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

I don’t understand why people in GW2 feel the need to “check the list” and “grind and farm” things when the things they’re farming for are completely and utterly superficial and trivial in the grandscheme of playing the game. Why would you do any of it if you don’t enjoy doing it when the rewards are just cosmetic/fun/ect and have no bearing on seeing content in the game?

I would eat a spoonful of cinimon for fame, I wouldn’t do achievements I don’t care to do for an item that has no influence on gameplay in any significant way.

As for those that claim “burnout” then you “burnout”, you can’t expect to play a game, no matter what it is, without experiencing some kind of burn out, because in the end you’re still playing the same game no matter the difference in content. You would have burnt out on any other MMO a long time ago if it wasn’t for the fact that you HAVE to do the new content to get to the next, however slower that content came out; and the monetary investment it demanded (or didn’t depending on what you played prior).

New content quickly will NEVER be bad for the game; burning out is natural and being compelled to grind out rewards by doing tasks you don’t enjoy (rewards that don’t really help you other than give you a little trophy) it a personal problem, not the fact that the game is supplying you with things to do.

I’m having fun with the content by the way; the updates are more than just more random mobs to kill, they have a lot of effort put into making them at least a bit varied. Honestly the Living Story content is some of the best in the game, better than basegame now anyway.

This x100

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

in Living World

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Cosmetic rewards and APs are pretty much all there is to work for at end game. (though the gear treadmill will be expanded next week ofc.)

I don’t think anyone is complaining about getting new content. They’re complaining about the pace and temporary nature of it. Many people do like being completionists, but usually we’re able to complete things on our own timeframe. But with these temporary and short-term LSes, either you complete them within a certain time or you don’t. And if completionism is your preferred style of gameplay, then yeah, it’s possible to get burned out doing exactly what you do like if in order to do so, you have to do it in a faster than preferred rate.

You say it’s not a problem that the game is supplying us things to do, but you left out the temporarily part and that completely changes the context of the discussion.

in Living World

Posted by: Orpheus.7284

Orpheus.7284

As a 11300AP player I can tell you I feel for OP’s friend.

All my friends left gradually because the Living Story (or just timegated stuff) updates are beginning to become too overwhelming. I am still barely hanging on, doing my dailies (pve/pvp), and getting 100% on LS content…

I definitely am not enjoying it (other than pvp dailies), but I can’t stop because achievement points, unlike Gold or Exp or Karma, is a currency you can’t play ‘catchup’ on. When you cap out on most of the permanent achievement points, the only things left are Dailies and Livingstories…if you miss them for a few months, u can’t play catchup when you are back because they are timegated.

To be honest a lot of the LS are not very fun, and a lot of them have some grindy task for a good chunk of AP. So AP completionists are pretty much obligated to do them even though it’s boring and time consuming.
It’s just really poor quality content.

So disappointed in this game’s new direction these days that I cringe as I play through my daily and biweekly checklists…let SAB team take the reins of this game, they actually make fun, quality content.

One may ask “So why do you care about AP and rewards if the game has become such a disappointment? Just quit” well my answer is “Maybe one day this game will get better, a lot better again so I will actually care again, and when that time comes, if ever, I do not want to regret missing out on thousands of AP.”

(edited by Orpheus.7284)

in Living World

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

This, this, a thousand times this.
The Living Story is campy and fun, but the achievement grind is KILLING ME.

WvW used to be my favorite part of the game, but I haven’t played it in months because I feel like I need to constantly work on my checklist instead or run out of time. I don’t have enough time to get everything done in this game!

Slow down the Living Story!

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

in Living World

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

One may ask “So why do you care about AP and rewards if the game has become such a disappointment? Just quit” well my answer is “Maybe one day this game will get better, a lot better again so I will actually care again, and when that time comes, if ever, I do not want to regret missing out on thousands of AP.”

That’s the way I feel too. Though, this week I’ve stopped logging in everyday. Quite a few APs I’m missing out on, but oh well. I really gotta take some time off. :/

in Living World

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Cosmetic rewards and APs are pretty much all there is to work for at end game. (though the gear treadmill will be expanded next week ofc.)

I say… change that. End-game should consist out of more than skins and meaningless number scores. GW1 had end-game in the form of epic PvP (with a large variety in different modes). Other possible end-game is a dynamic world that changes all the time (dynamic events, but on a more drastic scale), not living story (living story hardly impacts the world).

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Living World

Posted by: Wizzlock.3492

Wizzlock.3492

Yep. Burned out. Left for two weeks, back again. Gonna see new update tomorrow and probably bail again to greener grass

in Living World

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

I think people are letting the tail wag the dog. The game is supposed to have new content for when you log on. You should not be logging on because the game has new content. There is nothing in the living story chapters that you cannot afford to miss.

And when you come back to the game and the economy is massively inflated because everyone else was hardcore farming and you didn’t…..then what?

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

in Living World

Posted by: Toggles.1783

Toggles.1783

Warning, anecdote ahead.

My wife and I LOVED this game at launch. Fast forward over off topic opinions of certain post launch additions…

After doing all of the Jubilee achievements, we took a much needed break from the game. (Up until that point I think I missed maybe 4 dailies)

Today we logged back in (after procrastinating for almost a week) to hurry and finish up the current LS. After a few hours of complaining to each other that we weren’t having fun in the zerg fest and then figuring out we needed to do it for a few more hours before regaining access to the gauntlet… well we happily logged out.

Now our problem is not with the game, or the content, or the difficulty/tasks… it’s with the time table.

Constantly when we talk about the Living Story, the common statement is that we’re amazed by Anet’s frequency, but we want to be able to do it on our own time and not when is dictated due to limited time availability.

There are far too many ‘use it or lose it’ mechanics being added to this game and it’s been increasingly pushing us away from a game we loved.

Again, Anet is doing an awesome job with all the additions to the game and should be commended but they really could use to lighten up on the “NOW OR NEVER!!!!” “time gate all the things” attitude. (seasonal events aside, those make sense as reoccurring ‘now or never’)

Level 80: Elementalist Engineer Guardian Mesmer Ranger Thief Warrior

in Living World

Posted by: VoxShatterfall.5470

VoxShatterfall.5470

Being rewarded for investing time is neither casual nor hardcore, it’s just tryharding.

Having no life is not equivalent to skillful play.

Implying that putting in time / hard work shouldn’t be rewarded?

But to be clear I believe that skillful play should cut down on the grind, for example killing a single champ than having to kill 50 random monsters.

But hard work is all some have – saying that only those who are skillful should get certain rewards is something akin to claiming that only those who have time should get the rewards. Both parties deserve the chance to get the rewards in tier own playstyle. Then there is casual play which is rewarded with random loot drops ect.

Commander Vox Shatterfall / Ward Zabach / Ifrit the Immolated
Angry Intent | Multiple Servers
WTB Razor Blade Free Candy!

in Living World

Posted by: Antiriad.7160

Antiriad.7160

I just picked up the game again and now I’m just hoping that LS ends ASAP, after which I will need to take a month long break to recover from it xD

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on equal power base.”

in Living World

Sirendor.1394

I’ll try this patch, but if it is as grindy as the rest of the patches, I’m quitting again.

in Living World

Wizzlock.3492

Being rewarded for investing time is neither casual nor hardcore, it’s just tryharding.

But to be clear I believe that skillful play should cut down on the grind, for example killing a single champ than having to kill 50 random monsters.

But hard work is all some have – saying that only those who are skillful should get certain rewards is something akin to claiming that only those who have time should get the rewards. Both parties deserve the chance to get the rewards in tier own playstyle. Then there is casual play which is rewarded with random loot drops ect.

Agree. But now we have rewards only for hardworking (or rather hardfarming) players with really big chunks of free time to spend. Kudos for them, I wish I were in their shoes. But I’m not.
Anet stated some time ago, that not every single LS arch will be for everyone. Let’s see how it went (Halloween and xmas aside), from my perspective (no one has to agree):
Lost Shore – a lil bit out of no where story, with hazy implementation. If we even can count it itno LS
Flame & Frost – all archs. A lil bit for farmers, something for those who like dungeons and slow pacing stories.
The secret of Southsun – farmfest
Last stand at Southsun – farmfest
SAB – jumping puzzle + farmfest for bubbles
Dragon Bash – farmfest + miniPvP game
Skypirates of Tyria – farmfest + dungeon
Bazaar of the Four Winds – farmfest + minigames
Cutthroat Politics – farmfest + 2 x minigames + a lot of political gireving for fractals with another layer of farmfest
Queen’s Jubilee – farmfest like never before
Clockwork Chaos – farmfest taken to another level

I agree, I also belive that best option is to design content, that could be beaten in several ways. You can do it by skillfull gamplay, by time consuming hardwork or something in the middle. Easy long way, normal way and extremely short and hard way.
But as it comes, we have only the farm way, You need to grind, or You stay behind. It’s like I’m playing another "f"2p Korean MMO. In last 2 weeks economy inflated so hard, prices on TP skyrocket to the celestial plane, that it leaves casual players in really bad situation. And we’re talking about 100% casual friendly game, aren’t we?

in Living World

Sirendor.1394

Agree. But now we have rewards only for hardworking (or rather hardfarming) players with really big chunks of free time to spend. Kudos for them, I wish I were in their shoes. But I’m not.
Anet stated some time ago, that not every single LS arch will be for everyone. Let’s see how it went (Halloween and xmas aside), from my perspective (no one has to agree):
Lost Shore – a lil bit out of no where story, with hazy implementation. If we even can count it itno LS
Flame & Frost – all archs. A lil bit for farmers, something for those who like dungeons and slow pacing stories.
Cutthroat Politics – farmfest + 2 x minigames + a lot of political gireving for fractals with another layer of farmfest

I agree, I also belive that best option is to design content, that could be beaten in several ways. You can do it by skillfull gamplay, by time consuming hardwork or something in the middle. Easy long way, normal way and extremely short and hard way.
But as it comes, we have only the farm way, You need to grind, or You stay behind. It’s like I’m playing another "f"2p Korean MMO. In last 2 weeks economy inflated so hard, prices on TP skyrocket to the celestial plane, that it leaves casual players in really bad situation. And we’re talking about 100% casual friendly game, aren’t we?

You are completely right, but arenanet simply doesn’t care. They’re only looking for better ways to create revenue.

in Living World

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

I just watched my son rush for the last 20 hours to get his endless tonic, but because of the randomness of the maps, he came up one achievement too short, and wasted his time trying to get his tonic. I agree, these events need to give people with real lives more time to finish them. I felt really bad for him, when the update came in today.

in Living World

Posted by: Mylon.4135

Mylon.4135

I was really reluctant to return to the game because of the LS. I took a break for a few months so I thought I’d be behind on the story. Turns out it’s all episodic and doesn’t really matter and mostly consists of the same slaughterfest that Orr farming already was. Only now the targets look different.

in Living World

Posted by: Arbreth.4397

Arbreth.4397

I hate grinding, I cannot stand lagfests, I abhor feeling rushed, especially these days when I simply do not have the energy anymore even if I do have the time.

The LS either needs to slow down, or have less required to enjoy the content. Really A-net 17 activities (or is it really 22 as to progress the story Vorpp’s stuff was required), okay 22, activities to be accomplished in about 14 days for the achievements and to see the end result. Don’t forget it was also needed to regain entrance to the previous content if you had not finished that yet either.

I want to see and experience the ongoing story, and I want to play my characters (plural, not just the one that has the most map completed, or is the highest level) in the base game as I have not been everywhere yet. I would like to be able to see and savor and enjoy the experience without feeling like I am trapped on a runaway train.

I am exhausted and disappointed.

Also, whoever in A-Net thought that hour after hour after hour of lagged, half blinded, overdone zerging is fun needs to be tranq’ed, dressed like a slot machine and tossed in a room full of quarter crazed casino grandmas.

in Living World

Wizzlock.3492

You are completely right, but arenanet simply doesn’t care. They’re only looking for better ways to create revenue.

“Infinite continue coin”, I’m looking at you?.

in Living World

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Right, 10k achievement points makes someone a “great player”.

Funny how I run dungeons with a group who have anything from 6 to 12k points, I’m sitting there on 3.6k and yet I can play just fine, in fact I probably faceplant the least.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Living World

Posted by: BatsLoveCaves.5768

BatsLoveCaves.5768

The original post in this thread should be a wake-up call for Arenanet.

Yet, no reply from them for 12 days and counting… Why?

in Living World

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

OK. Without wishing to be overly provocative: Opposite point of view. I’ve seen this wail in multiple threads now, and I completely disagree. From my perspective, it’s simply a request to keep the game more boring and repetitive, so that a few players can feel they’re somehow still “winning”. Whereas to me it’s great that, right now, there’s sufficient new content coming along that I’m not continually doing the same things over and over – and, further, that I can pick and choose what bits I want to do, and pass up on bits that simply don’t appeal.

I genuinely struggle to understand how come people can feel they have to do all the content that ANet push. And worse than that, feel it so strongly that they would actually rather walk away from a game that they presumably otherwise like, than miss the odd achievement or two. What gives? Are you addicted? Are you under so much self- or peer-pressure to be top dog, that you daren’t be seen to actually have ten less achievement points than the next guy? Is it the way you measure your own worth? Or what? Surely, if you’re burning out, you’d do better to simply get up and walk away from the computer for a while. Go take a walk. Read a book. See a movie. Spend a few hours socialising with someone of whichever sex floats your boat. Anything but feeding your obsession. (Please understand that I’m not trying to be snarky or rude, even if it possibly reads that way. But obsession isn’t a healthy mindset; where does it come from in this case?)

One thing I do suspect: ANet have decided on the Living Story delivery schedule, and it’s not going to change any time soon. It’s my purely personal opinion based on observation, but I’d bet that there are one heck of a lot more vaguely “casual” players – who actually enjoy the changing content right now – than there are players busting their cojones kittens to get every last drop done as though their very lives depended on it. ANet, of course, will be able to tell that simply by looking at the stats, and when they tie that up with who’s spending what, they’ll know where their core demographics are – and whether or not it’s in their financial interest to slow things down or not. I’m guessing not. And in game terms, that means that, if it’s a hard choice between (a) losing a few so-called “great” players (a telling choice of words in itself) and keeping a lot more that, the creator of this thread would presumably term “mediocre” or something worse, or (b) vice versa – they’ll look at the numbers and make the call. Come to that, they probably already have.

(edited by Doghouse.1562)

in Living World

Posted by: sweetsarah.9721

sweetsarah.9721

I actually agree with this post, not only am I getting bored with this new content the pace is really overwhelming! I started playing this game about 5months ago give or take and at first it was nice i was mesmerized by the actual story of the game and the lore(I’ve read all the books, they were wonderful). I worked my way up and within a few weeks i had a max level character and was enjoying all Tyria had to offer! I honestly liked falling into the routine of a few dungeons here and there during the day and then world bosses at night. Then the dragon bash rolled around which I was super excited for! I liked the thought of a LS that reminded me of the actual story of the game. But then things took a bad turn with the LS, it got so far away from the actual story itself and the pace started to get overwhelming for me! I love new content and since I’m enlisted in the U.S. Air Force and I’m waiting to go to Basic Training i have a good amount of time to play but i still don’t do most of the LS achievements. It’s getting repetitive. Plus not only is anet giving us the LS they are adding things like ascended weapons and crafting which i think is great but it feels like all this content is getting thrown in our faces, i know i wont have an ascended weapon in the 2 weeks span that was predicted and to think by the end of the year there will be ascended armor! I’m still trying to build my legendary! I finally received my ship date for basic training and its October 1st I will be gone for 8 and a half weeks, i really cant imagine how much content I will miss during that span of time! I feel like I’m going to come back and be lost, that’s not what a game should do to you! Plus by the time I’m out of BMT I will be in tech school so who knows if I’ll even be able to play enough to catch up with this pace! The problem now is that not only are we getting these odd LS’s it’s that we’re getting MAJOR content changes at a pace a normal player can’t keep up with. I just think if they backed off on the LS and give us time to adjust to everything they are giving us like 500 crafting and ascended weapons/armor it would help players. I don’t want to give up on gw2 i love it and I’m a player that has played other mmorpgs for years at a time(one of them i played for 6years) But I’m getting overwhelmed with this game! That’s just my two cents on the whole issue!

in Living World

Wizzlock.3492

Right, 10k achievement points makes someone a “great player”.

Funny how I run dungeons with a group who have anything from 6 to 12k points, I’m sitting there on 3.6k and yet I can play just fine, in fact I probably faceplant the least.

You see, it’s not a simple matter. I have around 11k or maybe even 12k points now (not sure – don’t care much about it). I’ve seen a lot, looot better players than me on fractals, players who had 5k points, maybe 4k points. But they specialize in those fractals. Same with dungeons – I’m not so fast and efficient in CoF like some farmers, but nothing in game seems unbeatable to me. Even more – till Liandri, nothing was above my reach, and I have no idea how would I present myself against Liandri, because I didn’t have enough time to even do daily last two weeks.
So if someone have 10k+ it doesn’t mean he’s/she’s some unbelievably good player. It only means he/she had enough time and was regular enough with dailies&monthlies to beat it. That and probably is above average to beat through every type of content.
I know amazing WvW players, who have around 8k points and I need lead them through dungeons like bunch of idiots. Or well – I was leading them. They quit game lately, because another LS sucked whole guild from WvW into PvE zergfest.
So well, the burning is coming through mysterious ways sometimes.

in Living World

Posted by: Erika.8256

Erika.8256

The game is at this very moment a chore and everything that was fun about it, became a grinding nightmare.

Care to add another +1. This is the best short-version that a lot of players feel.

in Living World

Posted by: Taralyn.6859

Taralyn.6859

I am still enjoying the game but I do find the LS is becoming a grind. Feel like I have to get in there and get it down before I can enjoy doing anything else

in Living World

Posted by: djaddi.2780

djaddi.2780

Hi everyone.
Short summary of myself: I have GWAMM in Guild Wars 1, I have almost 13k achievements points, I stopped playing actively about three weeks ago and I am really glad that I did.
I agree with most people in this thread, you all know why – no need to repeat what’s already been said so many times.

However, there are also some posts here that say something like “well it’s not the game’s fault that you burned out, just stop playing it.” What those guys don’t seem to understand is that being a completitionist (and I assume that most posters in this thread are completitionists, I’ll refer to them as “we”, please don’t be offended) is not something that you just lay off like underwear. It’s a personal attitude, a way of living. Saying “just quit the game” to us while we don’t have everything completed is like saying “stop eating bananas” to someone who really likes bananas. It’s not impossible, but it’s against our will. It’s against our attitude. We want to complete everything and the temporary, fast paced content (which is a very bad combination as stated several times) is making that goal very hard and very time consuming to reach. And that’s why we are burning out. Not because we have played the game too much and not because we are addicted. The same applies for taking a break for some weeks. We would miss something and we know that we won’t ever get the chance to catch up. That sucks.
I don’t expect that people who do not share this opinion understand it, but at least I tried explaining it to them.
Have fun,

Addi

(edited by djaddi.2780)

in Living World

Posted by: Drmcninja.5926

Drmcninja.5926

What I heard in a recent interview, which is something I do not understand at all, is that they have plans to release big big fishy content. But, and here is the but, that is coming ‘probably somewhere next year’ and ‘we don’t know if it’s expansion stuff or going to be Living Story released’.

Furthermore they said ‘Until then we will do minor updates, to make it work better, with a few biggie stuff’. The biggie stuff being updated Tequatl and future world bosses and a couple of other things.

And I’m not sure if people are in for a rollercoaster of small stuff with one big addition here and there while ArenaNet keeps giving us the ‘We are working on it and we have a team SOMEWHERE doing it or we have a team doing it in their free time, but we can’t tell you when it will come or how we are going to present it’.

in Living World

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

If Anet puts the Aetherblades in one more LS update it will prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the person writing the LS plot is some 14 year old fanfic author.

I am tired of looking at them every other week, I’m tired of getting slammed with weak content, someone else called it fluff and i think that’s actually more fitting.

I already ranted about this in another topic so i won’t go in depth here, LS needs to stop or at least slow down to a monthly schedule. The devs need to be allowed to fix existing content and make quality of game improvements. I am pretty sure we would already have that LFG tool if they hadn’t have been working on the next several installments of LS.

in Living World

Posted by: Iaknihs.8536

Iaknihs.8536

My personal POV on the idea of “Too much content”:

If i don’t have enough time for something: i don’t play it.
If i don’t like the new content: i don’t play it.
If i miss something i’d like to have played: it will probably return in some form eventually.

i don't see how "too much content" is a problem, unless you make it your task to 'always get everything'. But seriously. When did it become the point of a Role Playing Game (RPG) to have Everything?

I don’t intend to obtain all achievements – only those that are fun and preferably challenging.

And did that make me fall behind other players? Not in the least. I don’t have full Ascended Gear – oh well, those 3 stat-points better than Exotics will probably ruin the Gameplay for me, not. I am only on 5k Achievement points. Yes. 5k. I started playing on the first day of release. What i did all that time to not be on 10k or so now? Whatever seemed fun at the time. Does that make me inferior to people who have 12k or so Achievement points? Dunno, dun care. Some weapon skins i don’t even want, a bit free gold they could farm within 3 hours if they wanted to… I don’t think i’m missing out on anything by just doing what’s fun. And no, personally i didn’t spend a single minute Farming something either.

I like the new content! New stuff to check out every two weeks! If i like it, i do it. If i think it’s boring i don’t do it. Simple.

’Nuff spamming the chat.

in Living World

Posted by: Farmingfish.8231

Farmingfish.8231

The idea behind gw2 ls is to give variety – options to choose what you want to do however i believe that the risk;reward/time factors for different activities are unbalanced – why spend 50+ hours getting that living story skin/achievement when you could be spending it doing dungeons/fractals and contributing to your next/new legendary! (just an example)

in Living World

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I sit on 10k+ AP.

I can confirm however that it’s not an indicator of being a good player, at this high or higher players tend to be good at ‘farming’ AP and not necessarily good at the game, but I digress.

The content comes thick and fast now and I am now one of those ‘burnt out’ players. I know the exact moment it happened too.

I was at 11/13 for Scarlett portal closures. No tracking system and a bugged reward system meant I had missed two. I was lucky to have narrowed it down to 5 missed, but still…… Many, many many, MANY hours later i achieved the last 2 (going idle in LA, hoping my zone would pop, missing the zone i needed by 2 mins), but at what cost?

Sure I could have walked away, but to get to 11/13 and walk away seemed like such a waste at the time. The result of that is I now consider the LS content ‘tiring’. My dailies are the carrot on the stick but that’s it at the moment. I’ve started to remove myself from a lot of the content I previously enjoyed because of this ‘tiredness’ I now have towards the game.

I will be away for a few weeks soon. In that time I am hoping for perspective. I don’t want to quit the game, but feeling tired playing the game is not what a game should be about either.

There is a feeling and I sense it too in this thread that the LS content is a treadmill/tick-list of items to be done, that as players we have to think differently about the game to avoid being burnt out. We need to follow the new content outside of the AP achievements. However ANet places a lot of emphasis on AP (recognition, rewards) so players, as you would expect, gravitate towards it.

ANet numbers may be great, because player hours and log on times are up. But what about the long term aspects?

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”