Living Story on break again?

in Living World

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

We have one episode left and 2 armor pieces left of a set in Season 2 and you’re going to put it on break for a whole month just to come back to one episode? Who came up with this ridiculous schedule?

in Living World

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

This is how Anet oprerares. They really shouldn’t stick with “bi-weekly” content as their thing, it should be “content whenever the heck we feel like it #noshame”

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Actually I would say that the fact that they do put this small break here would suggest that either Episode 8 is NOT the last episode or it is big enough for them not wanting to risk putting it out just before most of the employees go and celebrate Christmas with their families.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: GscGunner.2419

GscGunner.2419

This is how Anet oprerares. They really shouldn’t stick with “bi-weekly” content as their thing, it should be “content whenever the heck we feel like it #noshame”

this +9000!

in Living World

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

I am willing to bet, cause I tend to be right in these things, that not only is Episode 8 the last episode in Season 2 but that there will be a 2 month break before Season 3 starts, cuz Anet does what they want when they want.

in Living World

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

It’s poorly paced.

You can understand why a mid-season break needs to happen, but this is the second time season 2 is getting a break, and it comes right after two cliffhangers with only one episode left.

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

People keep saying that there is only one episode left, where is that confirmed? People have speculated on it for quite some time, but is there any actual confirmation that Episode 8 will be the last of season 2?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Oh dear… LS2 chapter 8 is coming out next month…
Whatever will we do…
/sarcasm

You know, from the fevered rage that is plastered on these forums, I would have thought people would have /wanted/ the LS to stop. :p

My own jaded cynicism towards the internet aside… this all seems pretty simple to me.

Holidays take precedence. Living story chapters can happen at anytime, but one can not postpone Christmas.
As such, instead of pulling players in two directions with an annual event and a LS release, it was decided to postpone the LS release.

What part of that is so difficult for some people to understand?

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

in Living World

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

People keep saying that there is only one episode left, where is that confirmed? People have speculated on it for quite some time, but is there any actual confirmation that Episode 8 will be the last of season 2?

People speculate because that’s all they can do. Once again I’ll point out that the flames are being fanned by Anet’s policy not the players who have nothing to go on but speculation.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

in Living World

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Whatever will we do…
/sarcasm

You know, from the fevered rage that is plastered on these forums, I would have thought people would have /wanted/ the LS to stop. :p

My own jaded cynicism towards the internet aside… this all seems pretty simple to me.

Holidays take precedence. Living story chapters can happen at anytime, but one can not postpone Christmas.
As such, instead of pulling players in two directions with an annual event and a LS release, it was decided to postpone the LS release.

Right! All that great substantial new content may overload the general player, how can one find the time to finish that hour worth of LS content and rehashed holiday event?

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

in Living World

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Whatever will we do…
/sarcasm

Right! All that great substantial new content may overload the general player, how can one find the time to finish that hour worth of LS content and rehashed holiday event?

And that disproves or invalidates anything I said?
Didn’t think so…

And my jaded cynicism towards the internet and the angry people looking for arguments and online fights on these forums only grows…

I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

in Living World

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I was irritated too, but I am making the assumption that “Chapter 8” will be several updates long – like the invasion of LA. If its the same length as Chapter 7 I will be very upset.

I think it would be useful for everyone to hear from Anet how long the Season will continue after we come back – so we don’t just feel they were running late in starting the season and were forced to bump into the new year because the 2 week release schedule has turned out to be unrealistic.

In all honesty if there is only 1 update in the New Year they made a really silly mistake not startiing earlier. Fingers crossed though (I’m sure I’ll enjoy the update too I just think some errors have been made – chief error may turn out to be labelling Chapter 8 ahead of time xD)

I have no issue with them taking time off at Christmas – my issue is with the possibility of a single release after New Year.

in Living World

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Whatever will we do…
/sarcasm

Wintersday will probably be the same rehashed stuff and there isn’t any reason the two can’t coincide. Its not like we’d be overwhelmed or confused that there is content in two sections of the game happening at once.

in Living World

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I get that they’re going to have a lot of people out and wintersday is right around the corner. However, they knew when they were going to release the wintersday patch and didn’t adjust their season to account for it. It sure looks like bad planning from this end.

SBI

in Living World

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

For the last two years, people have complained that new content every 2 weeks is too tight a schedule, too grindy, too fast.

Now we have a few more weeks of a break (and not even that, as Wintersday content is, well, still content) and everybody loses their minds.

I for one have things to do over holiday season/new years and now I don’t have to juggle that with my “gaming schedule” – I’m happy.

in Living World

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

Its not like we’d be overwhelmed or confused that there is content in two sections of the game happening at once.

Careful, they might remove PvP and WvW from the game due to the confusion that LS and seasonal events might produce to new players.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Living World

Coulter.2315

For the last two years, people have complained that new content every 2 weeks is too tight a schedule, too grindy, too fast.

I feel this isn’t true..

in Living World

Posted by: Krestfallen.8025

Krestfallen.8025

I feel this isn’t true..

It’s a cherry picked representation only partially reflecting the complaints of yore. People repeatedly kept saying the two week schedule was too tight because every Living Story update was buggy as hell.

For just one of many examples: anyone else remember when the Assault on the Breach was released, except when you killed the Watchwork Knights they didn’t drop their attunement, which meant no one could get to the Breachmaker and fight Scarlet?
That’s right, for the first 5 to 7 hours of the patch the core mechanic, the entire point and purpose of that whole update was non-functional. An entire LS update literally did not work

Just one of a huge number of examples of the kitten poor QA (quality assurance) that plagued nearly all of Season 1. That’s what people were complaining about.

This, btw, does not reflect my stance on this latest break in the season. I just get really, really irked when people misrepresent history (intentionally or otherwise) to make their own point look better.

in Living World

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I feel this isn’t true..

It’s a cherry picked representation only partially reflecting the complaints of yore. People repeatedly kept saying the two week schedule was too tight because every Living Story update was buggy as hell.

For just one of many examples: anyone else remember when the Assault on the Breach was released, except when you killed the Watchwork Knights they didn’t drop their attunement, which meant no one could get to the Breachmaker and fight Scarlet?
That’s right, for the first 5 to 7 hours of the patch the core mechanic, the entire point and purpose of that whole update was non-functional. An entire LS update literally did not work

Just one of a huge number of examples of the kitten poor QA (quality assurance) that plagued nearly all of Season 1. That’s what people were complaining about.

This, btw, does not reflect my stance on this latest break in the season. I just get really, really irked when people misrepresent history (intentionally or otherwise) to make their own point look better.

I thought it was that the three bosses were a DPS race which failed a lot at one point or how one of the achievements was bugged.

Edit: Looked at threads in the archive section and saw one about attunement circles not showing up.

I also do remember people complaining that the releases were too many, too fast. This primarily came from those wanting to gain every achievement or those starting very late into the release. I want to say that the aetherblade dungeon (not the TA one) had people complaining because of the boss achievements and how difficukt they were to complete when the content was temporary.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

in Living World

Coulter.2315

I feel this isn’t true..

I thought it was that the three bosses were a DPS race which failed a lot at one point or how one of the achievements was bugged.

Edit: Looked at threads in the archive section and saw one about attunement circles not showing up.

I also do remember people complaining that the releases were too many, too fast. This primarily came from those wanting to gain every achievement or those starting very late into the release. I want to say that the aetherblade dungeon (not the TA one) had people complaining because of the boss achievements and how difficukt they were to complete when the content was temporary.

So they were complaining they were temporary NOT there were too many, too fast.

in Living World

Krestfallen.8025

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to do the research before deciding whether or not to tell me I was wrong; it’s always a delight to have a measured, level headed discussion with my fellow players.

But yes, you are correct: the other half of the old release schedule complaints very much were about the pressure to complete content that was going to vanish after a certain timeframe.

In that light, I think it’s only fair to point out that both these complaints have been addressed by Season 2. The achievements will be there forever, and while there have been a few bugs (as there always will be), there hasn’t been anything as face-palmingly shameful as what was seen in Season 1.

As far as the current scheduling goes, while I would argue that narratively this is very poor execution (there’s a difference between a proper cliff-hanger and stopping mid paragraph just because) that’s not actually what bothers me. What bothers me is that they created a really awesome new armor set and a neat set of ascended trinkets, tied all that neat new stuff to the LS chapters, then threw up a big ol’ five week wall right before we were about to complete them.

If they had planned things differently— say have episodes 5,6, and 7 all reward two pieces of armor and two of the trinket sets so that we could collect them all before the break— I wouldn’t have even reacted to the announcement at all.

As it is, it sorta feels like there’s somebody somewhere at Arena Net sticking out their tongue and going “neener, neener, neeeeeener!” while I gaze wistfully at my inventory/wardrobe, a mere two out of six from completing both the goals I was looking forward to xD

(edited by Krestfallen.8025)

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

I feel this isn’t true..

There being too many, too fast was because Anet was on a two week schedule of sorts which limited how long people had to do the content and achievements. Temporary was just one of the complaints caused by their release schedule. That’s just my take on it and this could turn into a chicken/egg argument.

in Living World

Coulter.2315

I feel this isn’t true..

There being too many, too fast was because Anet was on a two week schedule of sorts which limited how long people had to do the content and achievements. Temporary was just one of the complaints caused by their release schedule. That’s just my take on it and this could turn into a chicken/egg argument.

Exactly, it was a complaint about the TIME for achievements – if you have infinite time for them you wouldn’t be upset about there being so much so often. So they were all complaints about the content being temporary not there was too much content. (think about it – who the hell complains about too much content, thats just insane)

Glad thats been put to bed.

in Living World

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m disappointed that I won’t get to finish my Luminescent armor over Christmas, but I actually don’t mind the break too much. It’ll give me more time to do the Wintersday content, grind 4000 Bandit Crests (plus some extras for when Jan rolls around), and maybe start on some other games that I’ve been putting off on playing.

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

I feel this isn’t true..

Exactly, it was a complaint about the TIME for achievements – if you have infinite time for them you wouldn’t be upset about there being so much so often. So they were all complaints about the content being temporary not there was too much content. (think about it – who the hell complains about too much content, thats just insane)

Yes and no.

The content from season one was quite often complained about because you couldn’t come back later to do it as the majority of it was inherently temporary. This was one of the major complaints about season one. However, this doesn’t mean that all of their arguments were about it being temporary.

I had no issues with the content from season one being temporary. However, if I didn’t have much time to play some given period of time, I could make an argument that the releases were occurring too quickly for me to keep up. I didn’t have enough time to experience everything because the 2-week release schedule was too fast. There was also another argument about the schedule being too tight due to the bugs that kept cropping up giving the impression that they didn’t have enough time to test everything.

Would everything being permanent have fixed that? Sure. It doesn’t mean that my arguments were because it was temporary though as I had said I had no issue with that. Just because something is related or can even resolve someone’s complaints, doesn’t mean that their argument is about that.

As far as the post earlier that you quotes where you disagreed that people have complained that new content every 2 weeks is too tight a schedule, too grindy, too fast; you’re wrong as people did complain about those things. Nowhere in her post though did she say those were the only things that people complained about.

in Living World

Coulter.2315

I feel this isn’t true..

Would everything being permanent have fixed that? Sure.

Glad we agree, don’t know why you’re writing so much when this sums it up.

in Living World

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

By now everyone should be used to Anet taking every chance they get to disappoint their players more and more…

in Living World

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I’m hoping this delay is because of Wintersday. Our attention would be very much divided otherwise. So it’s not a delay in content, but a delay because we’ll be busy chasing new achievements with the holidays. Don’t want to overwhelm players with too many shiny, new toys.

God, I hope that’s the reason.

Gone to Reddit.

in Living World

Posted by: KurisuX.7340

KurisuX.7340

As burnt out as this last LS made me feel, I’m ready for wintersday. I’m kinda happy I don’t have to think about living story for a while longer…I just hope they take extra time to work out bugs and smooth out the experience before they release it….

in Living World

Ayrilana.1396

I feel this isn’t true..

Would everything being permanent have fixed that? Sure.

Glad we agree, don’t know why you’re writing so much when this sums it up.

Not really. You’re just cherry picking parts of my post out of context and stating that I’m agreeing with you when I’m not.

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Honestly, I’m willing to give Anet the benefit of the doubt and say that I doubt it has anything to do with Anet “not being able to keep up with the 2 week schedule” or needing extra time to finish the content.

I think the reasons for the break are Wintersday, and the fact that Anet as a whole takes a break starting the week of Christmas and ending sometime in January.

The former is an issue because it would divide the attention of players between multiple new things. And yes, they used to do festivals and content updates at the same time, but they haven’t really done that this year, so I think they’ve decided more recently that its better to just have 1 thing at a time, especially with the larger scope of the LS updates of late (with new content additions, expansion of the Silverwastes, and of course the story missions).

The latter is the bigger issue, because it means that any content pushed out would have only a few days of bugfixing at most before Anet goes on vacation. Which means any major issues that are a little harder to nail down and take a bit longer to fix might not be fixed at all before the vacation hits, which means putting up with a month of buggy content. Wintersday, on the other hand, has already been bugfixed since its pretty much the same as last year, so there should be a relatively low risk of anything like that happening with Wintersday.

in Living World

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

I think they adopted the model of Animal Planet. After all, AP had a 5 seasons show, with a total of 56 episodes, named “Finding Bigfoot”. Of course nobody finds Bigfoot.

Btw, the post above mine doesn’t have a leg to stand. Any company with a proper logistics would have started LS2 earlier, so it would have ended 2 weeks before Wintersday, this way everybody would have been happy: players had their luminescent, devs would have had time to iron bugs before going on vacation. But I guess that’s asking too much. It seems logistics is the weakest point in the whole Anet.

(edited by Anyandrell.6238)

in Living World

lordkrall.7241

Btw, the post above mine doesn’t have a leg to stand. Any company with a proper logistics would have started LS2 earlier, so it would have ended 2 weeks before Wintersday, this way everybody would have been happy: players had their luminescent, devs would have had time to iron bugs before going on vacation. But I guess that’s asking too much. It seems logistics is the weakest point in the whole Anet.

So basically rushing out something before it was ready just to get the schedule in a way you would prefer?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

If Anet’s ran like most companies, the dev’s holiday “vacation” is probably only a couple days off around Christmas. I would be very surprised if it’s more than 2-3 extra days off. Even then, it’s not like the only thing they have to do is bugs fixes before going home. Each block of the LS takes about 3-4 months to build, so there is always work to be done.

in Living World

Krestfallen.8025

So basically rushing out something before it was ready just to get the schedule in a way you would prefer?

I’m gunna have to agree with the others on this one. They took a— what was it? Two month break— between Season 1 and Season 2, but that was so they could work on/plan out things. I knew when the holidays were coming up. You knew when the holidays were coming up. But somehow Anet didn’t. Either that or they didn’t care.

Good, bad, infuriating, “no biggy,” whatever your reaction is. This was poorly scheduled, full stop. And I say this not out of spite or “nerdrage,” or anything; I’m happy to wait patiently for the next chapter. But a company the size of Arena Net should be more than capable of anticipating and accomodating a holiday that happens at the same time every year.

In the “what’s coming in the future” debates people often like to point out that Anet has something like three to five hundred people on their roster. Whatever it is they’re all working on better be pretty darned big if they don’t have the capacity to anticipate a holiday we all saw coming 11 months ago is all I’m saying.

in Living World

Posted by: Stramatus.5219

Stramatus.5219

Whatever will we do…
/sarcasm

Except that in the first time in GW history, Halloween was a carbon copy of last year with nothing new. I am expecting the same with Wintersday and we still have these ridiculous breaks. LS is a horrible content delivery system for story that should be made into a properly and fully developed expansion.

Sir Helvidius | Sir Beregond | Proud Ascalonian Humans
“Remember The Searing. We never forget, and never forgive.” – Family Motto

(edited by Stramatus.5219)

in Living World

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

LS is a horrible content delivery system for story that should be made into a properly and fully developed expansion.

Each style has its pros and con, because unless they add a huge amount of timegated content, the expansion method alone wouldn’t be much better storyline wise.

It would deliver a complete storyline, or at least the majority of it, which is a plus, but there would be nothing stopping us from finishing it quickly. We would finish the storyline in a couple of weeks to a month, then we would have to either wait another 3 or so months for a content patch, which we would finish in several days to a week, or suffer a content draught until the next expansion.

Anet seems to be slowly making their way over content patches, which they then split up into the LS episodes, but one way or the other, we the players are stuck with long periods of time with nothing to do.

in Living World

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Whatever will we do…
/sarcasm

Except that in the first time in GW history, Halloween was a carbon copy of last year with nothing new. I am expecting the same with Wintersday and we still have these ridiculous breaks. LS is a horrible content delivery system for story that should be made into a properly and fully developed expansion.

It doesn’t change the fact that they would still be running two big events at the same time. Which they have decided not to do.

What you might be expecting for Wintersday, or Halloween, or any other annual event, is irrelevant. And saying these breaks in the living story are ‘ridiculous’, along with how LS is a ‘horrible delivery system..’ is nothing but subjective opinion which has nothing to do with the topic presented here… except as another way to try and bash Anet.

(edited by ShinjoNaomi.1896)