New Trailer [discussion]

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I actually think that the Pact (or whoever is actually in charge of fighting the dragons now, as of LWS3 episode 1 the pact has lost both its marshal and commander. I can’t remember who was our replacement either) is playing a rather deadly game with the dragons. They want both Jormag and Primordus to think we are going full assault on them, so they will retaliate and we can see what sort of power they have. This way, we won’t be nearly as unprepared as we were when going up against Mordremoth and we won’t be destroyed immediately. Incredibly deadly, but really what other options do we have? We need to know how strong they are and fast, because if we don’t take down at least 1 of them before Kralkatorrik and Steve join the action Tyria will be kittened.

Or there is a better way, let Jormag and Primordus fight each other.

Since Primordus had sent minions to attack Glint’s baby, why didn’t it attack Jormag?

Well to start with, Aurene is a baby and doesn’t have any minions of her own. Compared to Jormag she is effectively defenseless (I’m sure he didn’t count on us being there to stop the attack, nor Lazarus showing up). It makes more sense to attack a tiny dragon that is the spawn of Glint (making it very likely she will help us fight against the Elder dragons the same way Glint did). It makes less sense to attack an actual Elder Dragon that is already well established with champions and minions, not to mention Aurene is a heck of a lot closer to RoF than Jormag is.

The elder dragons aren’t exactly friends, but from my understanding they also don’t declare total war on each other either

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I’m feeling we can meet Braham.I play charr,however I’m happy we are going to the north.I don’t get one thing…..why our characters are called ’’Commander’’?.In episode 1 they’re leaving The Pact.Now time for Jormag….interesting.

Right after your character says they’re leaving the Pact, Almora says its a “title for life” and you’re welcome to keep using it. So that’s the lore explanation.

The game-mechanics explanation is that your character has to be called something generic (since they can’t have the voice-acted NPCs calling you by your actual character name), and Commander seems to be the one most people like. They tried using “Boss” for a while in Season 2 and I remember a fair number of people complaining about that one.

Yeah, it’s kinda like a retired general or president. Most people, out of respect, still call them “General” or “President” in recognition of the work they did before they retired.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

I actually think that the Pact (or whoever is actually in charge of fighting the dragons now, as of LWS3 episode 1 the pact has lost both its marshal and commander. I can’t remember who was our replacement either) is playing a rather deadly game with the dragons. They want both Jormag and Primordus to think we are going full assault on them, so they will retaliate and we can see what sort of power they have. This way, we won’t be nearly as unprepared as we were when going up against Mordremoth and we won’t be destroyed immediately. Incredibly deadly, but really what other options do we have? We need to know how strong they are and fast, because if we don’t take down at least 1 of them before Kralkatorrik and Steve join the action Tyria will be kittened.

Since Primordus had sent minions to attack Glint’s baby, why didn’t it attack Jormag?

Well to start with, Aurene is a baby and doesn’t have any minions of her own. Compared to Jormag she is effectively defenseless (I’m sure he didn’t count on us being there to stop the attack, nor Lazarus showing up). It makes more sense to attack a tiny dragon that is the spawn of Glint (making it very likely she will help us fight against the Elder dragons the same way Glint did). It makes less sense to attack an actual Elder Dragon that is already well established with champions and minions, not to mention Aurene is a heck of a lot closer to RoF than Jormag is.

The elder dragons aren’t exactly friends, but from my understanding they also don’t declare total war on each other either

The destroyers could go beneath and past through.

Destroying another dragon=power and magic. That’s much more than killing mortals.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

OriOri.8724

The destroyers could go beneath and past through.

Destroying another dragon=power and magic. That’s much more than killing mortals.

Its also far riskier. Aurene was supposed to be an easy target. Primordus knew his new minions would be able to get through the shield, he didn’t plan on us being able to stop the endless waves of them. Aurene was supposed to be an easy target. There is no way Jormag would’ve been an easy target at all. Think about it. Primordus has to know that 2 elder dragons are dead. Why would he throw most of his resources/minions/champions against Jormag and leave himself almost completely unprotected from us, the force that has now killed 2 dragons? It just wouldn’t make sense for him to do that. Far too risky with far too low of a chance of payout.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Slowpokeking.8720

Its also far riskier. Aurene was supposed to be an easy target. Primordus knew his new minions would be able to get through the shield, he didn’t plan on us being able to stop the endless waves of them. Aurene was supposed to be an easy target. There is no way Jormag would’ve been an easy target at all. Think about it. Primordus has to know that 2 elder dragons are dead. Why would he throw most of his resources/minions/champions against Jormag and leave himself almost completely unprotected from us, the force that has now killed 2 dragons? It just wouldn’t make sense for him to do that. Far too risky with far too low of a chance of payout.

Why would the Elder Dragons be afraid of something? You see how arrogant Zhaitan’s minion was. How arrogant Mordremoth was when it spoke to us.

Because killing Jormag=huge amount of magic.
Killing us=what to gain?

I never understand why did Mordremoth or Primordus wanted to kill all the mortals, they don’t create minions through us, nor do we provide any magic.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: Lord Aargadon.4135

Lord Aargadon.4135

—snip—

You’re wrong again, we provide magic, zhaitan lived in arah because of the bountiful source of magical artifacts created by mortals and the Six were there. It was actually a big point of the LW2 storyline where dragon minions were targeting waypoints. Why? Because our mortal creations provide abundant concentrated easy magic. Mordremoth is very capable of making minions through us. Most of it’s most powerful Champions are modeled after mortals he collected. The other reason why Primordious attacks is in the following paragraphs, and the same for all dragons.

Mordy also needed a kickstarter to come out of hibernation. Being a ‘slumbering’ dragon he had a slow start, who has easily accessible magic in large quantities? We do! That’s why Scarlet attacked LA, to get too a magic source big enough, and in the appropriate form for Mordy’s awakening. We have our butts on plenty of magic and we don’t even know.

Saying other dragons=magic is an ignorant way of looking at it. A better way of looking at it from a dragons point of view is other dragons=magic + potential death and major injury to self Vs. stay away from other dragons=avoid quick fatal situations while also gaining magic from easy prey and other resources.
Nor can you just disregard the fact we are a completely different enemy than other dragons. We’re deadly left alone, other dragons haven’t made moves on other dragons lives. We have. Other dragons consume magic from an area making it less favorable because there is less free magic and more chances for loss. We don’t consume it, rather we package it neatly in boxes all over Tyria without much protection. We don’t even necessarily become more powerful because we have more magic in our possession. That’s why we are prime targets.
We are by far the most aggressive/volatile, have more land, and more magic(even if we don’t realize it) than any other single Elder Dragon.

Discounting all of that, you try to make it seem like attacking another Elder Dragon is favorable thing, when you contradict yourself by saying it would be opportune for us to attack after that? That sounds really unfavorable to me. Shouldn’t there only be 1 elder dragon then, because logically the last awakening 1 should have gone on a rampage and killed all the others.

Alright, imagine this, I’m Kralkatorrik, I just ‘felt’ Primordious magic(and therefor Primordy itself) flow to Jormag. Using your logic, the best thing to do would be go there too, twiddle my thumb-claws, wait for the battle be over and kill the wounded victor, claiming a whopping 4 Elder Dragons worth of magic for myself. Hey what’s this? Stupid pact Commander thinks he’s the greatest thing of all time is coming my way nicely bringing more magic? Wow it must be Wintersday.

From a imaginary Primordious standpoint. "Hmm what will I do today… oh I know just the thing! I’m going to ask Queen Jennah for permission to absorb all the magic (yum so much magic) from the Temple of the Ages! Yes! There is no reason for them to be upset that I want to desecrate one of their most sacred landmarks, not like they’d go so far to kill me even if they did get upset. Nope, no need to wage war for magic against any race or ED. Like Mordy’s seedlings said, ‘More violets, less violence!’ "

The real question is why isn’t Rata Sum targeted with all the magic the Asura neatly bottle up, and just because a ED is arrogant doesn’t make them idiots.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Slowpokeking.8720

You’re wrong again, we provide magic, zhaitan lived in arah because of the bountiful source of magical artifacts created by mortals and the Six were there. It was actually a big point of the LW2 storyline where dragon minions were targeting waypoints. Why? Because our mortal creations provide abundant concentrated easy magic.

No, Arah was built by the gods based on the magical source, it had nothing to do with the mortals.

Mordremoth is very capable of making minions through us. Most of it’s most powerful Champions are modeled after mortals he collected. The other reason why Primordious attacks is in the following paragraphs, and the same for all dragons.

Shadow of the Dragon? No.
The Octovine? No.
The Vinewrath? No.
The 3 commanders? It’s not based on mortal at all, but enhanced Sylvari.

Saying other dragons=magic is an ignorant way of looking at it. A better way of looking at it from a dragons point of view is other dragons=magic + potential death and major injury to self Vs. stay away from other dragons=avoid quick fatal situations while also gaining magic from easy prey and other resources.

What potential death? Mordremoth could send its minions underneath the ground, as was Primordus. Mordremoth also could not be killed at physical plane. What does it need to worry about? There is no way other dragons could fly though and fight them without having trouble with the mortals around. They got a huge advantage here.

Nor can you just disregard the fact we are a completely different enemy than other dragons. We’re deadly left alone, other dragons haven’t made moves on other dragons lives. We have. Other dragons consume magic from an area making it less favorable because there is less free magic and more chances for loss. We don’t consume it, rather we package it neatly in boxes all over Tyria without much protection. We don’t even necessarily become more powerful because we have more magic in our possession. That’s why we are prime targets.

We are by far the most aggressive/volatile, have more land, and more magic(even if we don’t realize it) than any other single Elder Dragon.

We have because the dragons were attacking us first, both Zhaitan and Mordremoth. We would simply leave them alone if they don’t attack us first. How did we become “aggressive and volatile?”

Discounting all of that, you try to make it seem like attacking another Elder Dragon is favorable thing, when you contradict yourself by saying it would be opportune for us to attack after that? That sounds really unfavorable to me. Shouldn’t there only be 1 elder dragon then, because logically the last awakening 1 should have gone on a rampage and killed all the others.

If it makes clear “I will not fight you guys” why do we attack it rather than deal with other dragons when at least 2 of them are busy?

Alright, imagine this, I’m Kralkatorrik, I just ‘felt’ Primordious magic(and therefor Primordy itself) flow to Jormag. Using your logic, the best thing to do would be go there too, twiddle my thumb-claws, wait for the battle be over and kill the wounded victor, claiming a whopping 4 Elder Dragons worth of magic for myself. Hey what’s this? Stupid pact Commander thinks he’s the greatest thing of all time is coming my way nicely bringing more magic? Wow it must be Wintersday.

But we don’t see that happen. We don’t see other dragons went to claim Zhaitan’s power and Orr’s magic. Primordus only went there after Mordemoth was dead.

From a imaginary Primordious standpoint. "Hmm what will I do today… oh I know just the thing! I’m going to ask Queen Jennah for permission to absorb all the magic (yum so much magic) from the Temple of the Ages! Yes! There is no reason for them to be upset that I want to desecrate one of their most sacred landmarks, not like they’d go so far to kill me even if they did get upset. Nope, no need to wage war for magic against any race or ED. Like Mordy’s seedlings said, ‘More violets, less violence!’ "

“In exchange, I will not harm you guys and help you fight other dragons” why not?

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I hope this means underwater content will finally be expanded up, or it will be atleast the beginning of it. When GW2 1st launched, the advertised “underwater exploration” was the selling point for me, yet we barely have any. Maybe this is a new beginning?

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

There’s a simple reason the Elder Dragons don’t see us as potential allies against another Elder Dragon: the Elder Dragons view each other as more-or-less equals.

They view us as slaves or food. You don’t negotiate with slaves and food.

Now that we’ve killed two Elder Dragons, we’ve become dangerous food. Like an angry bull. You don’t negotiate with a bull – you kill it and, unless it’s diseased, you probably eat it.

Half of the point of Aurene seems to be to raise a potential Elder Dragon that doesn’t consider us to be slaves or food.

@Chasind: It’d be nice. It does seem as if they’ve completely abandoned it, even if it was a mode that had good potential and just never really got the support it needed to get there.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I’ve always assumed the Asura Gates to be part of the serious, hard world lore, while WPs are more akin to a mere game-play device.

I thought they were confirmed ingame to be a thing, lore wise. The individual has to have basically interacted with a specific waypoint to use it. Thus explaining why characters just don’t use it to teleport across Tyria…their individual magical “fingerprint” hasn’t been registered for the waypoint in the area they’d want to go unless they’ve traveled there on foot before.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

Why did ANet insert a lot of screens of classes’s skills. This is weird.

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

Nobody thought about mordy’s last words ?? What have you done!! Like there was something about him that was good for us…. i don’t know…… looks like the ED are a treat that’s sure but at the same time there is something….. by the eternal alchemy all that exist is there for balance. ED for sure are a big part of this balance. We are destabilizing the world killing the dragons, look at those anomalies. What are those rifts? What all those ley lines are there for? I think jormag will show us the answer. He was the user of those strange portals. He is able to comunicate with us apparently and normaly he tries to seduce his enemies turning them in his allies. I think we’ll talk with him this time. Ok we are food for them but the commander had killed 2 of their brothers. …. and the dragons are inteligent beings

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Arden.7480

Mordremoth said that, because we broke his the biggest weapon- his mind. We broke his mind and then he said “what have you done”. That were not his last words. He said: “Run while you can” And then we killed him.
We had to kill him, because of Sylvari. If Sylvari could be still in his power, he could use them to destroy Tyria, Mordrems could attack everything, Mordremoth’s power could awake other dragons and then these dragons could destroy Tyria together.

You are saying something about changes in the world. I told the words, which fit to these anomalies and everything what happens in Tyria now:

Everything absorbs Ley Line Energy, because this is pure life and magic.
Ley Line is everywhere, but the danger is when too much LLE comes to Tyria and we can see aftermath of very dangerous LLE’ level in Tyria.
Dragons need much Energy to awakening and LL makes them stronger.
so, the conclusion is that every creature needs LLE for life.

You can read the Ley Line Theory (Durmand Priory’s library):

“The Existence of ley lines has long been theorized, and they have had many names. In 1316, a sylvari named Ceara (alias Scarlet Briar) found proof.
My own research supports the hypothesis that ley lines are currents of moving magical energy within the great sea of the Eternal Alchemy.
Magic, like air or water, supports life and surrounds us as air surrounds land-based creatures and water surrounds aquatic creatures.
But it is not stagnant. It ebbs and flows in currents that swirl about us, unseen and unfelt.There is evidence that the paths of these ley lines can be disrupted and changed just as the path of a river can be changed when obstructed.:

(edited by Arden.7480)

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

Mordy’s last “mistery” words….. ok we were destroying his mind but that fight is full of sub-strange phrases…. like “i’m power itself, i’m life itself… to deny me is embrace oblivion” and after the fight he comes out with that “what have you done”. His last words too are like “this is your last chance to change your mind and let me live bookha :P”
About ley lines… that’s what i was saying. But we are disrupting the energies flow of the world for sure in a bad way. I know what ley lines are for us but from where they come?? Why are they there? Dragons are part of a mechanism to equilibrate ley lines energy but who is the creator of this mechanism :P???
edit oh sorry. .. i think they are part of a mechanism. Just a tehory :P

And the rifts.. what are those rifts? Why now? I think jormag will tell us.

(edited by Acnologia.6934)

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Arden.7480

Another weird thing in the trailer: ships. They are empty… If we would fly to the battle, these ships would be full of the Pact’s member.

This is an expedition I think and it shows how weakened we are, we cannot even attack any dragon…

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Arden.7480

And Lazarus in the trailer says: The dragon is rising" (Dragon Vigil). Last time it Caithe said “The dragon is rising and no one in Tyria is safe[…]”. This shows involvement for the dragon. Lazarus wants kill him at any cost, but why? What is he hiding?

(edited by Arden.7480)

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I think the new trailer looks awesome. I am particularly interested by the underwater sections because i have always enjoyed underwater scenery in this game. The kodan coming into the story looks good to me too. Can’t wait to play the new map and see where the story goes for this episode!

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Slowpokeking.8720

There’s a simple reason the Elder Dragons don’t see us as potential allies against another Elder Dragon: the Elder Dragons view each other as more-or-less equals.

Now that we’ve killed two Elder Dragons, we’ve become dangerous food. Like an angry bull. You don’t negotiate with a bull – you kill it and, unless it’s diseased, you probably eat it.

Half of the point of Aurene seems to be to raise a potential Elder Dragon that doesn’t consider us to be slaves or food.

@Chasind: It’d be nice. It does seem as if they’ve completely abandoned it, even if it was a mode that had good potential and just never really got the support it needed to get there.

But we are not food/slave to Primordus and Mordremoth, they don’t get much good from killing us. Killing another dragon provides them much much more to eat and empower.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Arden.7480

BTW. We will clear the death from ley line energy.

How?

Dont forget about chaks! Their organs clear the ley line from the death, so we cannot clear dragons from this magic, but we can clear our territories from this anomaly.

Spencer will save us!

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I am hoping the new map is not gated behind the story again. Not only is it annoying to get there but it makes it feel not part of Tyria.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

OriOri.8724

But we are not food/slave to Primordus and Mordremoth, they don’t get much good from killing us. Killing another dragon provides them much much more to eat and empower.

Bud calm down. You keep ignoring the fact that its insanely dangerous for them to go against one another. There isn’t any reason for Primordus to fight Jormag, none. It would be a waste of his resources on a fight that he actually has a real shot of losing. Until you address that please stop bringing this up

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Arden.7480

I am hoping the new map is not gated behind the story again. Not only is it annoying to get there but it makes it feel not part of Tyria.

Yeah, it should be like in Heart of Thorns’ story, few hints to explore, but story covers our journey if it is like in Bloodstone Fen or Ember Bay.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Slowpokeking.8720

Bud calm down. You keep ignoring the fact that its insanely dangerous for them to go against one another. There isn’t any reason for Primordus to fight Jormag, none. It would be a waste of his resources on a fight that he actually has a real shot of losing. Until you address that please stop bringing this up

How? Primordus and its minions could go underground, past through Jormag’s defense and Jormag didn’t have such way to send its minions, it would have to fly for a long distance to even find Primordus to fight, so the fire dragon would have huge advantage. Nor could Jormag corrupt the destroyers since they have no soul. Primordus just need magic and lava to create destroyers and Jormag’s Icebrood was mostly formed by mortals, it needs mortals to keep its army up.

Killing Jormag=Tons of Magic to empower itself.
Killing Us=What to gain? We don’t provide magic.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

draxynnic.3719

We are food for Primordus. He doesn’t convert minions directly, but we know there is magic in living creatures and even more magic in sapient creatures. It’s likely that he doesn’t corrupt because he doesn’t need to – Destroyers might well be able to harness the magic released when they kill something and send it to Primordus.

Even if he doesn’t get magical power from killing us directly, he gets it from taking our magical devices and artifacts. People have been wondering why the dragons haven’t attacked the smorgasboard that Rata Sum was. Well, asura legend says that there were six cities similar in splendour to Rata Sum before they were forced to flee. Primordus likely claimed them all.

Broadly speaking, the dragons seem to have developed, over multiple awakenings, a kind of avoidance behaviour of one another. They don’t attack one another, possibly because doing so would be dangerous (similar to how top predators generally don’t hunt other top predators), or possibly for some other reason (Maybe they have a kind of “if any Elder Dragon attacks another Elder Dragon, we all cooperate to take down the aggressor to maintain the status quo” agreement? Maybe, like magic in the Bloodstone, magic that’s claimed by an Elder Dragon is invisible to other Elder Dragons, so they don’t see the magic they can possibly consume by attacking one another?). They see each other as rivals that are too dangerous to attack, but in turn, they don’t see each other as threats because they know the others think the same.

The mortal races? Food. Sometimes dangerous food, which (in their minds) needs to be put down, but food.

Regarding your hypothetical Jormag-Primordus fight:

Each minion requires a certain amount of magic to maintain (although automatons with little magical ability are fairly cheap). The size of Primordus’ Destroyer army is probably limited by how much magic he is willing to invest into it… same as Jormag. If, for some reason, Primordus doesn’t get any magic directly from living creatures at all, the advantage actually goes to Jormag: corrupting most creatures into Icebrood is probably a net gain in energy for Jormag (he leaves just enough magic in the Icebrood to keep it “alive” and able to react to enemies and claims the rest for himself). If he does, it’s still likely that he just can’t build an infinitely large Destroyer army: each one requires an investment of magic.

Bottom line, though the Elder Dragons appear to have always regarded everything that wasn’t an Elder Dragon as being prey. That we’ve killed two may shake things up… but if that does shake them out of behaviour that has apparently worked for them in the past, the response is likely to be ’let’s work together to put down this dangerous food’ rather than suddenly attacking one another when, as far as we know, they’ve never done so.

What’s to gain by killing us? Tons of magic. Sapient beings are a source of magical energy (human sacrifice has been established as a means of gaining magical energy since Prophecies), and they produce magical devices as well that provide even more if you defeat their makers. And by killing us they remove potential threats. Win-win.
What’s to gain from attacking one another? Potentially tons of magic if they win, potentially death if it goes the other way.

Now, you can argue that “potentially tons of magic if they win, potentially death if it goes the other way” approach goes for us now that we’ve killed two. However, Mordremoth at least seemed to regard defeating Zhaitan as a bit of a fluke that surely would not be repeated on him. The perceived risk from attacking us is still perceived by them to be much less. The other dragons might be wiser in that regard now that two have gone down… but if they do reach the point of according us the respect they’d give to an Elder Dragon, it seems much more likely that this might lead to avoidance behaviour rather than triggering them into setting their sights on one another. There’s probably magic to eat elsewhere in the world, after all – if they decide that the continent of Tyria is dangerous, they can likely move elsewhere.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Slowpokeking.8720

We are food for Primordus. He doesn’t convert minions directly, but we know there is magic in living creatures and even more magic in sapient creatures. It’s likely that he doesn’t corrupt because he doesn’t need to – Destroyers might well be able to harness the magic released when they kill something and send it to Primordus.

Even if he doesn’t get magical power from killing us directly, he gets it from taking our magical devices and artifacts. People have been wondering why the dragons haven’t attacked the smorgasboard that Rata Sum was. Well, asura legend says that there were six cities similar in splendour to Rata Sum before they were forced to flee. Primordus likely claimed them all.

Broadly speaking, the dragons seem to have developed, over multiple awakenings, a kind of avoidance behaviour of one another. They don’t attack one another, possibly because doing so would be dangerous (similar to how top predators generally don’t hunt other top predators), or possibly for some other reason (Maybe they have a kind of “if any Elder Dragon attacks another Elder Dragon, we all cooperate to take down the aggressor to maintain the status quo” agreement? Maybe, like magic in the Bloodstone, magic that’s claimed by an Elder Dragon is invisible to other Elder Dragons, so they don’t see the magic they can possibly consume by attacking one another?). They see each other as rivals that are too dangerous to attack, but in turn, they don’t see each other as threats because they know the others think the same.

The mortal races? Food. Sometimes dangerous food, which (in their minds) needs to be put down, but food.

Regarding your hypothetical Jormag-Primordus fight:

Each minion requires a certain amount of magic to maintain (although automatons with little magical ability are fairly cheap). The size of Primordus’ Destroyer army is probably limited by how much magic he is willing to invest into it… same as Jormag. If, for some reason, Primordus doesn’t get any magic directly from living creatures at all, the advantage actually goes to Jormag: corrupting most creatures into Icebrood is probably a net gain in energy for Jormag (he leaves just enough magic in the Icebrood to keep it “alive” and able to react to enemies and claims the rest for himself). If he does, it’s still likely that he just can’t build an infinitely large Destroyer army: each one requires an investment of magic.

Bottom line, though the Elder Dragons appear to have always regarded everything that wasn’t an Elder Dragon as being prey. That we’ve killed two may shake things up… but if that does shake them out of behaviour that has apparently worked for them in the past, the response is likely to be ’let’s work together to put down this dangerous food’ rather than suddenly attacking one another when, as far as we know, they’ve never done so.

What’s to gain by killing us? Tons of magic. Sapient beings are a source of magical energy (human sacrifice has been established as a means of gaining magical energy since Prophecies), and they produce magical devices as well that provide even more if you defeat their makers. And by killing us they remove potential threats. Win-win.
What’s to gain from attacking one another? Potentially tons of magic if they win, potentially death if it goes the other way.

Now, you can argue that “potentially tons of magic if they win, potentially death if it goes the other way” approach goes for us now that we’ve killed two. However, Mordremoth at least seemed to regard defeating Zhaitan as a bit of a fluke that surely would not be repeated on him. The perceived risk from attacking us is still perceived by them to be much less. The other dragons might be wiser in that regard now that two have gone down… but if they do reach the point of according us the respect they’d give to an Elder Dragon, it seems much more likely that this might lead to avoidance behaviour rather than triggering them into setting their sights on one another. There’s probably magic to eat elsewhere in the world, after all – if they decide that the continent of Tyria is dangerous, they can likely move elsewhere.

There is no such evidence, We don’t see the Elder Dragons directly eat people or drain magic through killing.

Mordremoth rely on the leylines to drain power, corpses were used to make clones.
Zhaitan rely on the Source of Orr. If mortal creatures could feed it with magic, we would see Mouth of Zhaitan eat other beings rather than magical artifacts. But no, neither mouths showed any idea to eat us rather than kill us. Jormag doesn’t gain power from killing others as well, it only drains power from others’ worship.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Yeah, it should be like in Heart of Thorns’ story, few hints to explore, but story covers our journey if it is like in Bloodstone Fen or Ember Bay.

I also like doing stories/parts of stories when I want to do them. Not ‘I need to do part of this story so I can play with the new stuff’ or ‘I need to finish this chapter before the next chapter comes out’ (which also means less people are around if you need help because they already moved on).

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Yes, i agree completely. Locking content of the game behind prior content? What other selfrespecting game designer does that.. oh wait.. THATS EVERY GAME. Every game tells/forces you to go through stuff jn chronological order. Weve had an extreme freedom already. Now that things are more normal, people are suddenly claiming its bad.. horrible even. Never played a game other than gw2?

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

draxynnic.3719

There is no such evidence, We don’t see the Elder Dragons directly eat people or drain magic through killing.

Mordremoth rely on the leylines to drain power, corpses were used to make clones.
Zhaitan rely on the Source of Orr. If mortal creatures could feed it with magic, we would see Mouth of Zhaitan eat other beings rather than magical artifacts. But no, neither mouths showed any idea to eat us rather than kill us. Jormag doesn’t gain power from killing others as well, it only drains power from others’ worship.

We were told this in an interview a long time ago.

When a dragon claims a creature as a minion, they claim all the magic from that creature, and then choose how much to send back the minion that is created as a result.

Sapience is expensive in magic terms, and dragons don’t require sapience in the majority of their minions, so most are given just enough magic back to be able to obey orders and react to threats. If the dragon sees a benefit to doing so, they might grant the minion enough magic to be sapient, or empower it further to become a champion.

This was the explanation given as to why some dragon minions are intelligent while most are automatons. However, it demonstrates that dragons absorb magic from corrupting creatures… and reducing sapient creatures to automatons is a good source of magic for them.

Primordus might be an exception, since he rarely corrupts creatures, instead choosing to create his own. However, we know that there are ways to harvest magical energy through human sacrifice, and the Great Destroyer’s strategy in trying to wake up Primordus seemed to basically be “kill everything within reach”. So it seems quite likely that the Destroyers have some means of harvesting energy from those they kill and feeding that energy back to their master.

Basically, the dragons don’t need to eat the physical form of a creature to absorb its magic. Whenever a dragon claims a minion, they claim the magic that was in the creature before it became a minion.

And that’s without getting into the magic that can be taken by claiming our artifacts and the magical locations within our territory.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

White Mantle doesnt want the Bloodstone now. They are preparing to the battle against Kryta. They would be stupid, when they would go to Shiverpeaks. They have not interests there.

I understand why ANet jumps from one region to the next region. Because this is not like when Mordremoth awoke and magic came just to Mordremoth.
Magic is everywhere, dragons stir. We just hope, that they didnt consume everything yet.

I cannot agree with theory, that will be the battle of two dragons, because:
1) they are too far
2) even if they could meet, the whole Tyria would be destroy. And we want avoid this.

Braham wrote that Jormag is active, but we didnt see him in the trailer and this is so weird. Is he in Far Shiverpeaks already? Why didnt he say, that he is going to explore this teritory.

In the next epizode I want see:
1) some secrets of Jormag and his champions (Braham and Rox)
2) what happens in Ring of Fire (1 chapter with Taimi)
3) what happens in Tarir, what about Caithe and Aurene
4) some news from Kryta (Kasmeer, Canach and Jennah)
5) something about Lazarus and Marjory

I dont want the chapters like from epizode 2- too much in one map.

I want something like from LS2- 3-5 chapters from another regions of Tyria.

I agree, I want to see what happened to these too.
Aswell to White Mantle, the Pale Tree and Logan & Zojja…

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Arden.7480

Another thing in the trailer was cut out from the context: the words of Caithe from Dragon Vigil: “we have to kill them all”- I think that some people thought, that it means just Jormag and Primordus, but these words mean all of the dragons, so if “loose magic” will awake all the dragons, we will be in the real trouble and the words of the Commander from Dragon Vigil mean, that we will have to kill all of them. But how?

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

I cannot agree with theory, that will be the battle of two dragons, because:
1) they are too far
2) even if they could meet, the whole Tyria would be destroy. And we want avoid this.

A giant battle in Tyria would be amazing! Just imagine how cool it would be experiencing Primordus vs. Jormag. And if Tyria is getting too dangerous, we’ll set off to Elona or Cantha! In the end, we can go back and defeat the winner. If everything’s destroyed, we can start to build a new civilization in Tyria. That would be a massive Living World chapter.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Slowpokeking.8720

So it’s true. We are going to let the 2 dragons destroy each other? Why didn’t they think about it before?

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Slowpokeking.8720

So we should have used Zhaitan’s magic against Mordremoth, death magic will kill the plants.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

OriOri.8724

So it’s true. We are going to let the 2 dragons destroy each other? Why didn’t they think about it before?

We’re gonna let their magic destroy itself. We aren’t pitting them against each other directly

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Slowpokeking.8720

We’re gonna let their magic destroy itself. We aren’t pitting them against each other directly

I don’t see how is that possible without let them face each other.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I don’t see how is that possible without let them face each other.

As we saw in one of the instances here, dragon magic tends to harm other dragon magics. So they don’t need to exactly fight each other…we take the magic from one, put it into a weapon of some kind, and beat the crap out of the other with it. In the immortal words of Uncle…Magic Must Defeat Magic.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

Slowpokeking.8720

As we saw in one of the instances here, dragon magic tends to harm other dragon magics. So they don’t need to exactly fight each other…we take the magic from one, put it into a weapon of some kind, and beat the crap out of the other with it. In the immortal words of Uncle…Magic Must Defeat Magic.

I don’t see how do you channel a huge amount of energy from each dragon to kill the other, without letting them meet.

New Trailer [discussion]

in Living World

OriOri.8724

I don’t see how do you channel a huge amount of energy from each dragon to kill the other, without letting them meet.

No one else sees how you missed how this works in the last instance.

The magic cancels out. We won’t be seeing Primordus fight Jormag directly, its just not going to happen. Let it go.