Open world completely breaks immersion

in Living World

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I don’t know if it’s been said before in another thread but I feel it needs to be said now.

The LS quality is undoubtedly better than season 1 was however I feel the open world bits that take place in between the instances themselves completely murder any sense of immersion.

I understand they want to work the living world into this – but surely there’s got to be a better way – a way in which I don’t have an 80 man zerg assisting me every step of the way.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Living World

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Eir: “I knew you can do this alone”
Yeah… right. There weren’t 100 or so other players zerging that event.

in Living World

Posted by: Eshady.9146

Eshady.9146

The title says it all and I totally agree.

in Living World

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Interestingly enough I seem to recall more or less exactly the same thread but with the world Instances instead of Open World.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Living World

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

I agree with OP, nothing makes me feel less like a part of the world than being part of a story that takes place in the world.

in Living World

Harper.4173

I’m at Kendrick Redstaff now – an NPC you have to fight but from what I understand he must leave a certain area to lose the invulnerable buff he’s got on.

Guess what people are doing? Constantly trolling by aggroing him back and forth just to amuse themselves by blocking progress for dozens of people.

How is this an acceptable situation?

in Living World

Posted by: Tango Fro.5942

Tango Fro.5942

Its actually pretty cool .Cause the open event happends as a stand alone in that area.and has nothing to do with your personal agenda.

in Living World

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

No, the server swapping broke the immersion for me.

in Living World

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

I agree. If it’s just talking to an NPC then that’s fine, in fact I prefer it. But when you start adding events/combat to it, it just becomes a mess.
Keep the story bits in instances. Experiencing the story with 50 other players around you does NOT enhance the experience, quiet the opposite it’s a detriment.

in Living World

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If you do it in the first few minutes of release, you’ll have a ton of company. Wait a week and it’ll be more as intended.

in Living World

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

If you do it in the first few minutes of release, you’ll have a ton of company. Wait a week and it’ll be more as intended.

Wait two weeks and you could be totally “immersed”.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Living World

Posted by: Eshady.9146

Eshady.9146

… wait a week and it’ll be more as intended.

So wait till its 1/2 over and it’ll be good, gotcha. OR continue the instanced story line like the first 2 episodes of LS2 and will be fine from launch. Maybe its just everyone in the map talking, but NPCs have been bugged in one way or another since 3:30 EST (personal exp) and I’d bet if it was instanced it wouldn’t be happening. Case in point, the first two episodes.

in Living World

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

Funny how I find it the opposite. I find that by adding the events/steps of the story into the Open World it makes it even more immersive. Rather than fighting a bunch of plant monsters by myself while every other hero and NPC in the world doesn’t seem to care much, I’m fighting off the swarms of Mordrem with other heroes who have also rallied together to fight off this sudden attack. If I had to go into an instance in every one of these i’d say that would be less immersive.

Yes, it is very clustered and hectic but that is because it is patch day and everyone doesn’t know what to do and where to go. Give it a day or two and it will be less messy.

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

These kind of comments do my head in.

People asked for more dungeons and group events during the personal story so they could have fun with their friends

Then people complained about dungeons because they didn’t want to do anything which meant they had to group with other players.

Then they wanted to feel part of a large community with open world events

Now people don’t want large events and would rather do it by themselves again.

ugh, I’m starting to feel Anets pain in trying to keep everyone happy.

in Living World

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

So what I’m hearing is…

‘I want an open, living world experience, but I /don’t/ want to have any other people being there!’

Private Servers ftw, I guess…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

in Living World

Posted by: Ariella Goldstein.3562

Ariella Goldstein.3562

I think Harper has a good point, something that maybe should be considered in the mechanics in the future, considering a bunch of idiots just jerking around CAN halt progression for others.

in Living World

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

I do not get it.
Agoraphobia much?

in Living World

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Stop playing mmorpgs? You really cant get away from this type of immersion breaking if your playing an online game with any type of open world even the non full open world online games your going to run into other ppl who are also the “one” hero etc.. You realty should not let it get to you and if you cant deal with that then online games are not for you.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Living World

Harper.4173

Give it a day or two – give it a week or two – great suggestions – but the more time you give it the more spoilers you’re likely to get.

in Living World

Harper.4173

So what I’m hearing is…

‘I want an open, living world experience, but I /don’t/ want to have any other people being there!’

I want an open living world experience but I want my story to be instanced so I can enjoy the lore and atmosphere without people cursing and bugging my progress.

Zerging in the open world for an organic experience is one thing.

Going through my story chapters for a rich and immersive lore filled experience is an entirely different thing.

in Living World

Harper.4173

Stop playing mmorpgs? You really cant get away from this type of immersion breaking if your playing an online game with any type of open world even the non full open world online games your going to run into other ppl who are also the “one” hero etc.. You realty should not let it get to you and if you cant deal with that then online games are not for you.

So people trolling my progress is just part of the MMO experience right?
I understand what an MMORPG is – it however has many facets.

It has content oriented towards large groups – World bosses.

Medium groups – normal champs and larger events.

Small groups – Instanced content such as dungeons and fractals.

And even 1 man – challenges like Liadri.

Not every aspect of the game requires an 50+ zerg next to me – nor is every aspect designed to work around the massive in MMORPG.
I simply don’t see why the story aspect of the game has to be something I’m supposed to do with 80 other people.

in Living World

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

I hate to bring out this argument bu,t why are you playing a massively multiplayer game.

in Living World

Posted by: Ariella Goldstein.3562

Ariella Goldstein.3562

I hate to bring out this argument bu,t why are you playing a massively multiplayer game.

Like the story, like being able to play with friends… I’m sure I can come up with a lot of reasons. However, this being an MMO there are a number of people who enjoy being jerks who, as Harper described above, blocked progression in the STORY for several other players. It’s something that needs to be taken into account.

in Living World

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

Sadly those have been completely ignored by Anet, we barely got anything interesting that isn’t Zerg based in over a year. I like the idea on open world 100 man raids, but I would like it to be a rather small portion of the content release, not all of it.

I can’t believe we have yet to get a new dungeon, all we get is mindless zerg fest that require no skills, along with bad drop with insane RNG or gems store items.

in Living World

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

Interestingly enough I seem to recall more or less exactly the same thread but with the world Instances instead of Open World.

It just goes to show that you can’t make everyone happy, someone will find something to complain about. Hell, people who want something get what they wanted and then realize how bad it really is. All of it becomes one tricky affair.

in Living World

Harper.4173

Read my above posts – just because it’s an MMO doesn’t mean I have to have a massive amount of people near me in every facet of the game.

Some experiences – part of an MMO- are better or more enjoyable with fewer people around.

Story progress and lore is something I might enjoy experiencing with others – but at least it should be people I can choose. People I party up with and take into an instance.

I see no reason why a personal experience in the game should be shared with 80 random people.

If it’s part of the story – let it be part of the story.
If it’s part of the open world – let it be part of the open world.
Don’t mix them together and ruin both.

They made a very similar mistake back with the first WvW tournament – when they added possible PVE rewards in WvW and a TON of PVE players flooded WvW in order to get their achievements done infuriating the hardcore WvW players who couldn’t get their desired experience.

The point is there are different aspects of the game – each of them part of a bigger whole – the MMORPG game that we play.
Sometimes they can be mixed together – but more often than not these aspects cater to very different player types and shouldn’t be mixed.

in Living World

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

So people trolling my progress is just part of the MMO experience right?
I understand what an MMORPG is – it however has many facets.

It has content oriented towards large groups – World bosses.

Medium groups – normal champs and larger events.

Not every aspect of the game requires an 50+ zerg next to me – nor is every aspect designed to work around the massive in MMORPG.
I simply don’t see why the story aspect of the game has to be something I’m supposed to do with 80 other people.

Yes some ppl are like that and there always going to be a person there who gets a kick out of such things that part of living and playing with other humans you have GOT to get over this in a game setting or your going to go no where in real life. Its not important how many ppl are there you must be ready for any type of troll at all times and be willing to let it not get to your enjoyment.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Living World

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

So what I’m hearing is…

I want an open living world experience but I want my story to be instanced so I can enjoy the lore and atmosphere without people cursing and bugging my progress.

Zerging in the open world for an organic experience is one thing.

Going through my story chapters for a rich and immersive lore filled experience is an entirely different thing.

You know what breaks immersion for me?
Being the ‘One True Hero’ who somehow is able to defeat a god-level entities whose level of power we mere humans can hardly even fathom. Who as the ‘most special of snow-flakes’ in the world, can somehow single-handedly take out creatures that can decimate entire armies…
None of my characters are Superman or Wonder Woman, and the threats revealed in this patch are meant to be overwhelming and downright suicidal to try and take on by one’s self.
Instanced content does a does not do a good job of showing just how big these world-threatening monstrosities are.

Now, I’ll admit that the implementation of these events could have /probably/ been done differently, but I’m not presumptuous enough to assume that I could have done things any better either.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

in Living World

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Dragon threatens entire world.
Need to band together with everyone in order to stand against the threat.
Not a good story unless I’m doing it alone.

That’s what I’m getting here.

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

I wish I could do all the chapters by myself, I hate having to group with others to do events, I like playing MMO’s like a single player game. Why can’t I play this multiplayer game exactly the way I want to! – screw everyone else this game should be designed for my personal tastes.

in Living World

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

The last LS episode ended with a great cliff hanger, it left one wondering what will happen next? What does the pale tree know?

This episode opened up with the meeting with the pale tree, which felt rather anti climatic. After that it was the return to the zerging events. It just feels intrusive to make the open world events a part of the story. It also makes it feel less immersive since there are 100s of other people doing the same thing as you story wise.

I’d prefer if they kept story telling and zerging events separate. It would be better if they built stories around 5 man content similar to dungeons. This is just my opinion though.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Living World

Posted by: jdmThor.3806

jdmThor.3806

completely agree with op. first two episodes blew me away, this was kinda meh. i actually liked the instanced parts but living story zerg really put me off.

(edited by jdmThor.3806)